Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

pours a cloudy apricot color, an inch worth of froth which seems to sick around more or less.

massive citrus qualities in the smell, quite floral and fragrant.

citrusy in the taste as in the smell, more hops than malt, but some of the flavors seem a bit restrained.

medium bodied and smooth, high carbonation.

Very drinkable beer and a solid IPA, though I don't really feel it lives up to the hype.

06-09-2010 05:57:41 | More by wolfinthemirror
metter98

On-tap at RFD, Washington, DC

A: The beer is light pale amber in color with a thin layer of bubbles floating on the surface. A light level of carbonation is visible.
S: A light aroma of citrusy and piney hops along with some hints of caramel malts is present in the nose.
T: There is an excellent balance between the malt and hops, with lots of citrusy flavors similar to the smell.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate. There's a good amount of carbonation and the beer does not feel sticky.
D: The beer is very drinkable and not a trace of alcohol is noticeable in the smell or taste.

06-09-2010 02:09:56 | More by metter98
michaelpcarney

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A: ORANGE YELLOW / POURS A LARGE HEAD THAT SETTLES DOWN TO JUST A CAP / A LITTLE LACING AFTER A BIT

S: CITRUS! / LIGHT HOPS / A LITTLE HONEY IN THE BACKGROUND

T: HOPS! DOMINATE FEATURE / VERY LITTLE MALT / CLEAN FINISH LEFT WITH A LITTLE HINT SWEETNESS

M: NICE MEDIUM / GOOD COMBO OF CARB & BODY / A LITE IPA FEEL / NO RESIDUAL LEFT

D: NO TASTE OF ALCOHOL / LIGHT & CLEAN / SIPPING BEER PERHAPS TWO

BOTTLE

06-09-2010 02:03:04 | More by michaelpcarney
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Served from tap into a SweetWater standard pint. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a one-finger white head with rainbow effects when held in the light. Lacing was excellent throughout. The aroma was comprised of hops and mild malt. The flavor was a smooth hoppy note with nice mellow malt notes. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. It has been quite awhile since I have had this brew and I had forgotten how good it was. Nothing short of excellent for sure. Believe the hype on this one... I will definitely be picking up more at the store next time I'm there.

06-06-2010 16:21:58 | More by thagr81us
F2brewers

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Chimay goblet. Thanks to doctor15 for this beer. Interestingly enough given the recent questions surrounding some bad batches, the area on the bottle for marking the batch is blank.

A: One and a half finger high thick white head that persists for 3-4 minutes before starting to fall and settling about 1/4 inch high. Lots of small bubbles refresh the head. The body of the beer is a light orange/slightly copper color and translucent without any hint of cloudy nature.

S: Cirtus and piney hops dominate...malt is present in the background but muted as compared to the hops. I can't pick out any specific malt flavors, but there is a sweet floral underbody that reminds me of honey.

T: Centrennial hops al lthe way...different than, say, Founders Centennial IPA, but rich in hops nonetheless. THe hops dominate but do not overwhlem. Malt is only slightly present in the background. The finish is clean with a lingering sweetness.

M: Medium to light-bodied. Poperly carbonated for the style to give a hint of creaminess in the mouth. Despite the hoppy nose and taste, there are no residual oils on my tongue.

D: No real hints of the 7% ABV in this beer. The taste is light and clean and the finish is nice. I would gladly have another (or two).

06-06-2010 02:50:17 | More by F2brewers
Kylito87

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

I have heard nothing but good about this beer but never really got up the courage or will power to drop the hefty price tag to try it until now. I saw it at Arista foods and I couldn't pass it up this time. Heres we goes.

Appearance- That typical of the style burnt orangey yellow color. Pours a prominant head that falls down into a foamy white cap which is also normal. Spotty lacing through out my Boulevard pint glass.

Smell- Hop heaven! I have never smelled a IPA quite like this. You immediately get those centenials right in your face along with this wonderful citrusy floral character which is an like sex for your sense of smell. It does also have a nice sweet malty character in behind the wall of hops!

Taste- It is quite unique you get that Nice sharp hop snap but in the finish is this nice sweet malt. This beer is a nicely crafted offering of the IPA style. It has a great Hop bite without killing your taste buds due to the fact that it has that caramelly sweetness to reset your pallete in between sips (sips not gulps!!!)

Mouthfeel- Perfect balance of carbonation and body. You get that nice slick IPA feel which is always good. This beer is probably in my top five IPA list. The carbonation is spot on for the style. I have a problem with certain IPAs that are far to carbonated which take away from the enjoyability of the brew.

Drinkability- Well I couldn't drink more than a few before needing a break from the hoppiness but I am sure I could toss back a sixer within a day. This is a great IPA that should be drank accordingly. Pour it and sip it taking in all the wonderful complexities of it and allow it to warm up as you drink it to see how it unravels this tapestry of flavor on your pallete. Bottom line are there better IPAs yeah but this one rises to the occasion. I am kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

06-06-2010 00:27:15 | More by Kylito87
cbmatt

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Picked up this bottle in a make your own sixer at my store before the whole sour batch business. but i checked the batch and it wasnt one of the bad ones. just opened it while reading a little and thought id give it a review.

poured a orange to and amber color, with a white/ tan head. it smelled of citrus with flowery notes. The taste was superb with a clean finish, as well with the citrus. It is very easy to drink, is very refreshing to have on a warm summer evening.

06-03-2010 03:49:37 | More by cbmatt
rwf08

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Batch #9704 so no infection! Poured into a dogfish head football shaped glass.

A: Amber honey in color, slightly hazy. Not crystal clear but not really cloudy. Nice dense head that sticks around through the whole glass. And stick to the glass. Good sticky lacing.

S: Sweet honey aroma. Citrus peels and fresh lawn clippings.

T: Drying grapefruit flavors with a sweet floral flavor. Sweet grains on the finish.

M: On the heavier end of a light body but not quit medium. Drying finish and very refreshing.

D: Great beer, have had one in the past that was an extra in a trade and had to get more. Have a sixer...had a sixer. And this is a great IPA. I haven't had a regular IPA as good as this one yet.

06-03-2010 02:43:16 | More by rwf08
AJacob81

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Not sure why I waited so long to try this. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Beautiful rusty umber, clear and effervescent. A billowing white foamy head of over 4 fingers quickly forms and halts the initial pour. The head recedes very slowly, leaving a remarkable layer of lacing on the glass.

S - Fresh-cut flowers, grapefruit, and orange dreamsicle.

T - Hello, citrus cocktail. Sweet, floral notes also quick to assert themselves. Centennial hops make the finish tangy and crisp.

M - Creamy, light-medium body, with adequate carbonation.

D - This was gone in no time. The flowery, fruity start and just-hoppy-enough finish make this beaut drink like a soda pop. Very enjoyable, and this will be a go-to IPA this summer.

05-31-2010 00:54:10 | More by AJacob81
zoso493

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Two Hearted Ale is a beer which will always have a place in my fridge. I lucked out with this sixer, as it's only two weeks old. This particular review comes from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a Guiness tulip-shaped pint glass.

Appearance: In terms of color, Two Hearted Ale is almost the picture-perfect American IPA. It pours a vibrant copper-apricot color with tinges of amber found where the glass gets fat. It's not as hazy as a lot of other IPA's but it's by no means transparent. The beer also has a real glow to it, I think because it was brewed, in part, by Jesus Christ. Atop the beer is a foamy two-finger head that subsides fairly rapidly to form a thin cover over the top of the liquid. There's not a whole lot in the way of lacing, but a few streaks find their way to the sides of my glass. I don't know if this should be considered when awarding scores for appearance, but I don't know if there's another beer that looks as appetizing to me than Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Smell: The scent of Two Hearted Ale is perfection achieved for an IPA. What a glorious floral, citric and juicy aroma this beer produces. This is a beer that makes absolutely zero qualms about being hop-centric and I am cherishing every whiff I get out of the glass. Though this is obviously a hopped up brew, the caramel malts also manage to sneak through and add a wonderful sugar-coated sensation to the already delectable hops.

Taste: Ah, so this is what Centennial hops taste like. They're in no short supply in Two Hearted Ale and they taste delicious. The hops floral and citric hops are again the most dominant characters in the taste, with a good deal of grapefruit and pine coming through as well. The malts are present but certainly to a lesser extent (as they damn well should be). Two Hearted is without a shadow of a doubt a great beer, but it's just a tad too subduedbecause it is just a tad subdued for my taste. Still, this is an outstanding hoppy beverage and one that I will imbibe in earnest.

Mouthfeel: This is a nicely carbonated beer and as such is very refreshing and somewhat crisp. The body, however, is lacking just a bit, in my opinion. It's just a little thinner than I would expect a great IPA to be, but it's by no means a turn-off to the beer. It is still extremely smooth and strikes just the right balance between being sticky and dry.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the bottle before I could comment on the drinkability and I think that will suffice as an explanation as to why this is a fantastically drinkable beer. It's exceptionally smooth and just has an inexplicable refreshing quality to it. The alcohol, though not being excessive at 7% is totally masked and plays no part in the taste. I could drink this beer all day and then some.

All said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a masterpiece of a beer. I've never been disappointed in the slightest margin by Larry Bell, and this beer is no exception. I can comfortably call this a world class IPA and a brew that I am eternally grateful is easily accessible to me. Two Hearted is my go-to beer if I'm need of a flavorful yet still drinkable beer and will continue to buy this beer until it is no longer made.

05-29-2010 23:47:05 | More by zoso493
jsanford

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev -4%

On-Tap at the Distillery in Savannah on 5/22/10

A - Hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head. Retention is nice, leaves soapy lacing on the glass.
S - Tropical orange and pineapple hops dominate with a bit of lightly sweet malt.
T - Tons of pineapple with a good amount of canned mandarin orange. Honey and sweet caramel malt provide a nice balance.
M - Juicy with a medium body and crisp carbonation.
D - Great drinkability, one of the best go-to IPAs!

05-28-2010 02:34:27 | More by jsanford
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a pale orange with thin white head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of hops, but not as much as I'd expect. Quite sweet too, almost like honeydew melon. Taste has some citrus hop bitterness with lots of malt, with some floral hops on the after taste. I wondered if the bottle I got may have been old and missing some of the hop flavours that I expected, but I checked on Bell's website and it says it was bottled on May 4th. Still tastes good though.

05-27-2010 02:43:00 | More by kwjd
hayesez

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I was about to comment on how underrated Bell's Two Hearted is. But then I hopped in here to post my review and see that it actually scores quite well. While not talked about that often, it is certainly an outstanding year-round India Pale Ale. Two-hearted is readily available here in Terre Haute, and I commonly order it when no other beers pique my interest. Certainly a top notch IPA.

Reviewing this one from the tap as that is generally how I drink them. Consumed in a standard pint glass at TGIFriday's late late last night. A darker clear golden-amber color with an impressive amount of soft loosely packed nearly white head. Had several pints of the two-hearted and noted distinct rings of lace left after every drink. Even though the head had receded to about one finger before I took my first swig, there was plenty to stick to the side of the glass.

A very nice combination of sweet grapefruit and other citrusy scents. A touch of flower and pine add to a very well-balanced nose.

Bell's Two Hearted starts out with a crisp bitter taste that is extremely creamy, rich, and full-bodied. It transitions to an excellent citrusy fruit (apricots, grapefruits, etc.) before coming full circle to a hopped, slightly bitter finish. However, there is very little lingering bitterness that I think often detracts from some IPAs.

This one has to be near the top for drinkability. I order it over just about anything that isn't new or different. Along with Hopslam and the Expedition Stout, Bell's shows that they can brew some outstanding beer. I still think that their beer in general is undervalued - I guess that leaves more for the rest of us.

Consumed: 5/26/2010

05-26-2010 21:37:08 | More by hayesez
aepb1

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Clear golden yellow with a small white head

S- Citrusy hoppy smell that makes you really want to try the beer to see what it tastes like.

T- Not at all disappointed from the smell. Citrusy hops throughout but not so much so that it's overpowering other than the constant citrus, a normal american IPA

M- Nice full bodied ale with a crisp dry aftertaste but it's not too dry

D- The not too dryness of the aftertaste makes you want more and it's probably the best american IPA I've had

05-26-2010 02:48:35 | More by aepb1
GoalieRon33

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Nothing spectacular here. Looks can be decieving. Never judge a book by its cover. Standard straw yellow with a soapy head.

S- Heavily Hoppy with some citrus background. Fresh smell.

T- Bitter bite throughout. Twinges the toungue overall, while citrus flavors burn through to the end.

M- Perfect bodied American IPA. Not too full bodied, but enough there to leave a great impression.

D- Easy to pound these wonderful beers. So easy to gain respect for with each subsequent beer that you drink. Great job Bell's.

05-25-2010 05:08:45 | More by GoalieRon33
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

At first I thought it was overrated. Then my buddy invited me over for a bachelor party... what could be more sensible than a five liter? Now here I sit with likely my 50th glass and I couldn't be happier with this, my all time favorite American IPA.

We were jovial, you know, of course we were. The sunset a clear orange as we stoked up a flame on the yet-to-be-finished back porch, and dreaded, all but one of us, the weekend as we were going to lose our friend to that ever-deepening pit of commitment. We toasted to the times gone by, and we toasted to the times ahead, as few and far between as we knew they would likely become.
Dropping like flies, we were, all of us. I had gotten down on one knee but days before and pledged my own life away, and from that point we all know that things change. There's a priority shift, where you go from being your own center of the universe to having to care about someone else first. So here we were with glasses in our hands, celebrating the passage of yet another into this murky and unknown territory... territory from which we expected him seldom to emerge. So we sat and enjoyed this nectar. Little else to say other than nearly perfect, we all esteemed it to be. Glass after delicious glass, this one particularly, over all the others, seems to be as perfect as we could muster. The perfect golden clarity, lacing mousse atop, an aroma both delicate and assertive at once, the flavour the same... perfect. Just the right amount of bitterness, just the right amount of complexity, just the right amount of balance, slightly dry in the finish, just enough body to give the mouth something to hold on to, but light enough to throw back pint after pint... light enough that we got rather sloppy rather quickly, as we sat around the fire and enjoyed one last bout of freedom... Here's to what we're losing, boys, and here's to what each of us will gain. There's something to be said for someone to live life with, to always be there regardless of where there is. Yes, of course, we'll lose the togetherness that we have. But we'll change, we'll mature, and we'll always be friends.
Here's to the best times, with the best friends, and the best IPA in the world.

05-24-2010 18:18:13 | More by khiasmus
RDAdams

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

One of the benefits of trekking north into the land of William Penn is that beer stores only sell beer by the case. We stopped at the Beer Mill in West Chester where a case of four six packs cost less than $2 a bottle.

AROMA: Using its intense floral hops supported by a firm, complex malt background, it yells at your senses "I am American IPA".

APPEARANCE: It pours an almost solid gold color and is clear as a Bell (pun intended). The head was softly off-white and 1.5" thick. The head dissolved slowly, and lingered throughout the drink.

FLAVOR: It has the intense citrus floral hop complexity (orange, lemon, and definitely grapefruit) on a malt platform of barley, biscuit, and possibility wheat. What it lacks is the malt backbone found in a Dogfish 60 Minute IPA and in most English IPA's. Thus, as good as thus beer is and as good as the hops are, more malt would make this a better beer.

MOUTHFEEL: This is a full bodied beer made to have a medium bodied mouthfeel by the carbonation. It is creamy on the palate with a crisp, dry finish. The aftertaste is hops with a burning sensation on my tongue. The balance would br significantly improved with a malt backbone

DRINKABILITY: This is definitely not a session beer. Since it is not pasteurized, its shelf life is questionable. But I plan to keep a six pack in my refrigerator for at least a year to see if bottle aging decreases the hops flavor compared with the malt flavor.

05-23-2010 23:09:02 | More by RDAdams
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a light copper with strong hints of orange. inch high fluffy head, great lacing and great retention.

lots of grapefruit up front followed by light pine. light malts.

up front, tons of grape fruit. bitterness kicks in with a nice dominating pine effect. malt backbone is moderate, not much balance but a nice underlying flavor. grapefruit returns in the finish. nice hop complexity.

nice moderate carbonation and moderate body. bits of hops resin line the teeth.

i love this, super easy to drink. a hop bomb for the best of them. this is an IPA that sets the standard for all to follow. i love this and drink it often.

05-23-2010 20:41:43 | More by hooliganlife
olegv40

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a rich murky golden color with huge bubbles clinging to the glass. A thick soapy head formed and quickly evaporated.

Bitter orange is the predominant flavor. Very hoppy and bitter and exceptionally dry. The taste of alcohol comes in during the middle and it finishes dry and astringent in the mouth. While not the best IPA, this definitely delivers what it promises, tons and tons of hops.

05-23-2010 20:03:07 | More by olegv40
velmalikevelvet

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a 12-oz bottle into chilled mug.

Cloudy butterscotch color with a smallish head that dissipated almost immediately; good lacing.

The aroma - mango, pineapple, & exotic flowers - is delightful. Smells like Hawaii in a bottle!

Good carbonation, slightly tangy, very crisp. Not as grapefruity as I usually like, but I didn't mind the lack at all; a very pleasant surprise. Nice, light tart aftertaste.

If it was available in California (it's not), I'd definitely drink this beer again.

05-22-2010 03:18:53 | More by velmalikevelvet
mgbickel

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe, reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass (I think...forgot to write down the vessel...jeeze). A thick white head sits on top of a hazy, orang-ish body. The head stuck around almost through the entire drink, leaving bits of lace behind.

The nose has refreshing hops, citrus in nature, grapefruit, orange zest, and roasted malts in the background.

Flavors stick tightly to the nose...add in a little earthy, floral hop pinch toward the finish. Extremely well balanced.

Medium to light mouth feel, well carbonated and slightly oily.

Super drinkable brew...right up there with the best of them. I had this in bottles before, but a fresh draft is the way to taste this one!

05-21-2010 15:35:11 | More by mgbickel
jwhancher

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Can't believe I never had this before. Pours a clear copper to light amber with very good light foam head. White in appearance. Smelled of citrusy & fruitlike hop aroma. Taste gives qualities of mango, citrus, pineapple but overall provides bubblegum character. Mouthfeel was nice dry crisp-like. A very drinkable beer. Will be looking for more of this again soon!

05-20-2010 21:51:43 | More by jwhancher
jag0007

Alabama

A - pours cloudy, golden in color. quarter inch head with a decently hard pour. However, it laces nicely all the way down.

S - smells of pine, citrus, and hops.

T - taste almost exactly as it smells. Citrus hops flavoring with a pine bite to it. Very tolerable and quite enjoyable

M - Nice carbonation, nothing extravagant, but better than other crafts ive had.

D - can definitely see myself purchasing another pack. Enjoyable altogether.

05-19-2010 01:41:15 | More by jag0007
fuzzycasserole

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Long time BA lurker, first time reviewer; figured I'd start with something I know well and love; Bell's Two Hearted Ale. One of the first beers to get me hooked on craft, I can't say I'm not prejudging the drink I'm about to have. That said, I'll try to make this a genuine review and not a rehash of my previous experiences.

A: Pours golden yellow, slightly cloudy. 1/2 finger head which mostly dissipates quickly.

S: Citrus and pine, a Hopslam-lite aroma with less grapefruit emphasis. Inherently appealing to my nose, but with a hint of bitterness in the background.

T: The main event; the aroma is translated mostly directly to the taste, with most of the same elements dominating my palate. Two Hearted leans towards the citrus-y end of the hop spectrum and this bottle is no exception. As in the nose, a healthy but very balanced bitterness brings up the rear, more pronounced here than in the smell.

M: There is a slight thickness to this beer, but it is countered by the moderate carbonation; I've had some Two Hearted which I thought was under-carbonated, but this one is spot on.

D: I could, and have, drank more than my share of these.

05-18-2010 01:19:04 | More by fuzzycasserole
livewire78

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Nice golden yellow color. Head was average maybe a bit nicer.

Smelled of floral citrusy hops with a touch of I think malt somewhere in there.

Tasted really nice. Floral and citrusy. Alcohol was almost invisible. Very nice crispness and the carbonation level was almost perfect. This went down smoooth!

Super nice IPA. Could drink this forever. A lttle embarassed to have not had it sooner. I think if the fish wasn't on the label I wouldn't have had so much bias against it going in. Embarassing for me? Yes. Good beer? Absolutely.

05-17-2010 13:51:33 | More by livewire78
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.