Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from bottle into a Grain Belt pint glass...

A--Nice rich golden color, with a really thick white head
S--Can definitely smell the hops, along with some citrus and pine scents
T--Great balance of tastes--hops, pine, citrus; just the right amount of bitterness. Finishes with a bit of a sweet aftertaste.
M--Very smooth, dry, and easy drinking
O--This is one of my very favorite IPAs. A great combo of tastes..and very easy to drink.

SurlyZach, Jul 08, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am not an experienced beer taster/reviewer.

I can tell this is a wonderful beer and probably well-balanced for most. It has a really nice hoppy bite, but for me, it's a bit too sweet compared to my favorite IPAs.

Maybe my tastes will change down the road and I do look forward to trying it again.

PollardsVision, Jul 06, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Full disclosure: I've been anticipating this one for a while. I've had only two of these previously, early in my craft beer career (last November/December) when I thought it was one of the best beers I'd ever had. I'm interested to see how much my palate has evolved since then. Thanks davey for sending this one!

12oz bottle (bottled 5/4/11) poured into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Hazy golden copper with a 3-finger head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet floral hops, some subtle fruity notes.

Taste is definitely hoppy, but balanced. Maybe not quite as smooth as I remembered, but still a very nice creamy mouthfeel, and absolutely drinkable with a super clean finish. This is a well-crafted beer that I still wish I could pick up anytime I wanted.

draheim, Jul 06, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle from batch #10307

A great amber hue. Sunset orange color appears at closer look. Produces a one-finger soapy, white head that sticks around for the ride. Really great lacing.

Amazing smells coming from this one. A full blast of citrusy hops come right at you. Light floral scents as well. The hops aren't so overpowering though as to completely mask some light bready malts.

Tastes delicious! The hops start sweet then turn slightly resinous. Not a complete tongue-scraper, which I don't mind. Find it to be really well balanced.

Light-bodied with extremely good carbonation. Very crisp, light finish.

I enjoyed this beer immensely, and would have no complaints about a steady supply of it in my fridge.

bigaltemple, Jul 05, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Batch 10419 5-26-11. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glassat fridge temp.

A. Golden orange body with a beautiful fluffy offwhite head.Decent lacing stuck to the glass.Looks like good carb coming off the bottom.

S. Pine and grapefruit dominate,with a little pineapple.Lots of floral notes as well.

T. Up front is the grapefruit and pinyness.Pineapple and some grainy bread.Nicely balenced IPA.

M. Great feel for an IPA,medium and smooth.Very creamy.Carbonation is good,subtle on the palate.

Overall just an excellent IPA! I buy this all the time and will continue to do so.

Marty30, Jul 05, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: This beer pours the classic golden color of an american IPA with a dense white head. The head slowly dissipates but still covers the beer has great lacing.

Smell: Intense resin/pine aroma with classic grapefruit/citrus notes from the hops.

Taste: Very prominent bitterness, which is not overpowering. There are strong pine notes with background citrus hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Great smooth and creamy body, but on the lighter side than most IPA‘s.

Overall: An excellent IPA. The first time you have Two Hearted Ale, you will wonder about all the hype. But try a different IPA and them come back to a Two Hearted and you will understand how well this beer is put together.

pb9613, Jul 04, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Pours a brilliant clear golded body with a big 3-finger rocky and pillowy white head that stays for quite a while. Nice lacing.

S- Smell is big on piney and citrusy hops up front. Almost a slight wintergreen aroma to it as well as a slight spicy pepper smell.

T- Just like the smell, but a little more subdued. The citrus and pine hop flavors are all there, along with the minty and peppery spiciness, as well as some sweetness.

MF- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation.

LtCracker20, Jul 04, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle on May 8th, 2011 in tulip plastic glass. Then on tap in June 2011, and in bottle into Unibroue glass in June/July 2011 multiple times.

Appearance: 4.5

Clear golden orange body with dense white 1inch head that slowly dissipates to leave a near complete thin, but present covering and has great lacing.

Smell: 4

Grapefruit/citrus aroma from the hops, with less intense resin/pine notes. Having try this many times now over, I knwo that the aroma of the hops can be quite subdued if not a fresh bottle, but are bursting when fresh on tap.

Taste: 4

Strong piney notes with background citrus characteristics of the hops that fade in and out. Very prominent bitterness, but not overpowering. I find these hop characteristics to be extremely well-balance with the crisp and bready/?light caramel malt. Finishes with nice bitterness and a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: 4

Great smooth and creamy body, a little on the lighter side, but very appropriate. There is a hint less astringency and dryness then I expected (and have encountered with other IPAs). This makes a very refreshing and welcoming finish that is incredibly easy-drinking.

Overall: 4.5

A very nice IPA. There is something that I can’t quite figure out with just my first and only two-hearted that makes its very smooth and easy to drink. Perhaps the excellent presence of flavours of the malt and the slight sweetness it offers. Yet, the bitter nature of the IPA is also extremely prominent. When I first had this in a bottle, via a trade, I was a little disappointed. Yet, in subsequent samplings on-tap and in a fresh bottle, the beer was notably better, with more aroma and citrus taste.

Highly recommend if fresh.

EnemyWithin, Jul 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A- golden orange with an inch and a quarter of foam. Decent retention and good lacing

S- sweet and leafy with a hint of citrus

T- hoppy with citrusy notes. Good balance

M- light and watery. Lots of hops that stick to the tongue.

O- Great beer, Good quality and available year round.

Jammies, Jul 02, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Poured a nice orange-gold into a pint glass. The head was whiate and long lasting.

S: Citrus, floral, malty, nice balanced smell

T: Very hoppy without a bite. Floral and citrus are there along with a malty background. Slight bit of caramel flavor comes through

M: Light bodied with carbonation present but no sting. Satisfying

O: Nice beer. This hit the spot on an evening when I wanted a balanced IPA. I will buy again. It would go great with a steak or burger.

gestyr, Jul 02, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

taken from notes

Poured a hazy golden honey with 2 fingers of soapy white head. Decent lacing

Floral and citrus hops make up the nose with faint whiffs of tropical fruit

Taste follows the nose. Hop forward but overly sweet for my liking.

Medium body and carbonation. Dry hopped aftertaste but with a strangely powdery dryness

Overall this was a good, not great IPA. Definitely overhyped on this website without a doubt. I would buy this regularly if I had it available to me but would not go out of my way by any means.

dcloeren, Jul 01, 2011

I have had this beer time and time again. It’s a good “go to” beer, especially when you find a bar that doesn’t have a wide selection of beers. I drink this one a lot over at Golf 365. All the guys there really dig this stuff. It’s a good, standard IPA.

The beer smells like… like an IPA. Again, this beer doesn’t knock my socks off, but it does have a familiar and repeatable flavor. It smells like any other IPA you have had, and drinks like one too. It has a hint of carbonation on the front of the palate, spread itself thin on the tongue, and finishes smooth and wet. (I use that word a lot… wet.)

The aftertaste does stick around for a little while. One thing I did learn about this beer, here on 1001 Bottles, is the high ABV. I didn’t realize it was 7%. I always assumed it was a 5 or 6%. The beer is also readily available at pretty much any and every liquor store and grocery store you can find. So if you want to try it, it won’t be hard to find.

The label on the bottle has a fish on it… I am sure that has something to do with the city it is brewed in. Having only been to Michigan once, I can’t speak on behalf of the patrons… but it just seems like a place that would breed a lot of fishermen. That’s not a bad thing, but the fish on the bottle makes sense.

I like the beer… a lot. Of course, I like a lot of IPAs. I could and will drink this beer over and over again.

rickyleepotts, Jul 01, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Review adapted from notes taken 2/2/11

Appearance: A really nice shade of amber/orange, starts off with a fluffy white head that fades to great lacing

Smell: Hoppy - not kicking-you-in-the-face level hoppy, but a great level of fresh citrus and resin with floral and herbal notes - some malts, lightly toasted biscuits

Taste: Simply perfect - when this beer is fresh, the hops are wonderfully complex - juicy orange, tangerine, and grapefruit - some hints of tropical fruits, mostly pineapple - pine as well - kind of spicy - masterfully balanced by some caramel malts - bitter, not not palette-destroying

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well-carbonated and refreshing

Overall: This beer almost makes me weep (see below)

When I first had a fresh bottle of Two Hearted, I became angry. Why? Because it's so damn perfect, that's why. For years I have been searching for a well-hopped, well-balanced, not over-the-top, solid IPA. This is it. This is a beer that I want in my fridge 365 days a year. My belief in this was further reinforced when I had the pleasure of acquiring a super-fresh six pack. It makes me genuinely heartbroken that I live outside of the distribution area. Someday... I will find a way to get this with minimal effort.

angrybabboon, Jun 28, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This is my go to beer. At my local haunt they have an overwhelming number of beers on the menu. Any time the wait staff comes to the table and I'm unprepared to order I simply order this lovely Ale. The fruity, hoppy notes stand out and appear strong, but never overpowering.

nathanrford, Jun 28, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Have had a serious amount of this one brew in my day. I guess the time has finally come for a formal review. 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Dark golden orange hue with a finger or so worth of chalk white, sticky head. Decent retention with moderate lace.

Copious amounts of earthy floral hops on the nose, accompanied by very prevalent grapefruit and lemon aromas. But seriously, this thing has some hops. This is not the lightweight's IPA.

As expected, serious pine up front with a lasting dry bitterness. Malt sweetness is there for balance, but again, this is the hops' show. Orange, lemon and grapefruit citrus round out the beer perfectly, masking the alcohol presence.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Easy drinking IPA with a sweet dry finish. Love it.

A near flawless IPA that places the hops in the center without aggressive and harsh overkill. One of my go-to beers which I still argue is better, not to mention cheaper, than their HopSlam.

mocktm, Jun 27, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Bell's Two Hearted remains one of my favorite IPA's. It's a fruity, citrusy, hoppy delight.

Some may consider it to be unbalanced, but I like its citrus character. I find it refreshing in the summer. Don't let them serve it to you too cold either. Like any IPA, the true character comes out when its served a bit warmer (around 35-40 degrees).

Seeing as IPA's are based so much on preference, I wouldn't over look this one based on bad reviews. I honestly think it's a contender with such great IPA's as Racer 5 IPA, Founders Centennial IPA and Huma.

Enjoy!

deezbrewz, Jun 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Pours a hazy light bronzed orange with a dense 2 finger head that leaves average lacing.

S - Big floral hops along with grapefruit/tangerine. Lots of apricots and melon on top of a bready pale malt.

T - Sweet melon, sweet pale malt, ginger, hops provide an edgy lemony floral flavor. The citrus turns to green pine and is present but not pronounced. This dries out at the end leaving a different kind of bitterness. Bold, yet not harsh.

M - Medium firm body, good carbonation.

The hops are bold, yet not harsh. Impeccable balance with a variety of hop flavors. Malt holds up strong as well.

StaveHooks, Jun 24, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Though we may like to rate beers based on many properties, its all about the taste and this IPA is one of the best in this category. As variable as IPAs can be, this beer captures to quintessential IPA flavor. Other IPAs seem to be variations of the Two Hearted Ale. This is a recurrent beer in my frig and a personal favorite.

kylehay2004, Jun 24, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed sometime last year forgot to put a date on the notes:

Poured into snifter gives a bright amber orange color that's mirky and hazy from all the little tiny remnants. Looks like beer sap or something lol. Lacing is intense leaving foam and particles uuuurrrywhere.

Smells as soon as you open the bottle and it's amazing. HOPS HOPS HOPS and some more HOPS. Citrusy orange hops to an extreme. I mean this is what a hospickle is ladies and gents.

Taste starts off rather sweet and malty until WHAM the hops rush in and nearly take over the beer. The hops are huge just like I expected from the nose. A little pineyness coming thru but its all about the grapefruit citrusy hops with this beer.

Mouthfeel is also amazing. Thick n slick with some chewyness. Love these kind of beers that have a thick mouthfeel but don't bomb your stomach like most stouts.

Overall an amazing beer, depending on my mood I'll like it more than Hopslam--don't hate. One of my go to beers if I can't find any new stuff to try.

alf212, Jun 23, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - amber with a slightly orange hue, white fine head and lasting lace. I received two bottles in two different trades, and the first was quite cloudy and had a sediment. I will score off the second bottle which looked and tasted better, but wonder if there is a some variation in package quality. The batch finder on Bell's website seems to be either not working or choking on these batch numbers.

S - citrus hops with some fruit in the background, but definitely hops are up front

T - strong hop flavor and distinctively bitter finish made to seem all the more assertive by the very dry finish. The malt sort of disappears at the end leaving a lingering bitterness to ride it out alone

M - moderate body, bitterness is sharp and tongue-coating which has a bit of an astringent quality

O - decent hop-forward American IPA

BobCS, Jun 22, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice warm honey color. Thin head with good lacing. This beer has the a solid 5 for smell. I get citrusy hops, but as it warms, it gets even better. Imagine the wonderful smell of a summer produce market with tons of ripe melons, apples, pears. Ripe cantaloupe is very present. The taste is fresh and hoppy with some malty sweetness. Clean, dry finish. Good full bodied yet refreshing mouthfeel. Delicious. I feel the need to add that this beer seems to be EXTREMELY fresh.

jgurley, Jun 21, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Nice, clear orange-golden color with a decent white head that lingers. The aroma of hops is strong, with notes of grapefruit and flowers, very good smelling. The flavor again has the hops forefront with some citrus and malt, finishing with floral flavors. Amazing flavor without overt bitterness, a really, really good IPA.

EJ6759, Jun 21, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Long lasting white to off-white head so slowly recedes above a clear honey golden colored IPA.

Citrus with some pine in the aroma, a nice hoppy blend that stay without being overbearing.

Drinking this IPA is like a mix of west coast IPA and a most traditional IPA's with outstanding results, and nice easy drinking yet hoppy drink. Blended citrus hops with a light earthy pine taste with little hints of ... maybe yeast or grains, no real answer other than just a little something hangs on the end of each drink.

A nice slightly biting dry bitter hops aftertaste lasts several seconds or well til I take another drink.

Very happy to have had the chance to drink this, and I'm sure I'll seek this beer out again and again...

LXIXME, Jun 20, 2011

This review was long overdue.

Appearance -- Pours a honey amber hue with a finger of sudsy white head. Handsome.

Smell -- the aroma is bursting with sweet juicy citrus flesh, pithy peel, wet-nap, and honey malt. Vibrant hop bomb with a soft underlay of malt.

Taste -- Massive citrus hops, akin to tangerine flesh and grapefruit zest. Hop bitterness is in good proportion: assertive, but not a trial by ordeal. Malt is drier than the nose would suggest, but still with a modicum of honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with crisp carbonation. Refreshing.

Overall -- A great easy-drinking, go-to IPA. However, freshness is especially critical with Two Hearted as the hop character falls off in a hurry. Great, but not a show-stopper.

yeahnatenelson, Jun 19, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom :)

Wow - let me just say this is one of the best 'hoppy' bears I've tasted....

Upon pouring, it's an amber, dark color, yet clear. The 2 or so finger white head is quite appealing. Lacing throughout the glass as you drink...

On the nose, it's slight citrus. Very subtle, yet there.. The palate is amazing! Citrus notes as the hops stand out with a tender bite, yet it finishes oh so well. Bell's did a great job with this one! It's very drinkable!!!!

Overall, I would highly recommend this beer! If you like hops, and a slight bite, try this one, for sure!!!!

NurseJody, Jun 17, 2011
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.