Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz bottle 24 days after packaging date...

Appearance: The color is a golden cloud of with moderate head and lacing. Carbonation is moderate.

Smell: Predominant spicy notes presenting resonate herbs with faint elements of pine and citrus.

Taste: The hops are prevalent with a fruity element that sits on the palate long after each sip similar to a grapefruit without it's excessive tartness.

Mouthfeel: A smooth medium-heavy body encompasses the palate.

Overall: This beer is a very unique interpretation of an American IPA but very positively so. For anybody who loves a good solid IPA... Give this one a try! Prosit!!!

Forb, May 21, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks omgshesaboy for this one!

Pours into a pint a slightly hazy honey gold with several fingers of bright fluffy white head that immediately clings to the glass.

Nose is great - citric and floral with a hint of earthy pine.

A sip begins with a briefly watery sweetness, good medium carbonation breaks open some of the piney hops before biting down with a citric, grapefruity finishing bitterness. None of the --- whoa 7%?! -- way too drinkable for that abv!

I really enjoyed this brew. If it were available locally, it'd easily be a go-to. New perpetual want.

OldIronLungs, May 21, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a light golden hue with a good 1 inch head that quickly subdues. The aroma isn't overly strong but I do get light citrus notes along with dry hay. The taste follows the aroma and doesn't really step forward in any specific aspect. It starts off with the bitterness from the hops and it pretty much never leaves. There is some light grapefruit which lingers around and just a touch more would be great. I like the way this one finishes with just a bit of mild bitter/dryness but still nice and crisp. Very drinkable but to me this just doesn't bring home the style. I like it, but it is not something I would purchase regularly... not that I can get this in Texas anyway.

lonestar4lunch, May 21, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

After a rather long afternoon with the lawnmower, I’m more than ready for a cold beer. Perfect time to try out a Two Hearted Ale…then again, when isn’t it a good time to have craft classic? I decided to satiate my massive thirst with a couple glasses of cold water first, so as to not give this brew an unfair advantage in the category of refreshment. Now that I’m hydrated and out of the sun, it’s time to put this American legend to the test:

A: Pours a shining gold, with a two finger head of thick white foam. After about 5 minutes, the head fades, leaving a thin coat of lacing behind. Still bubbling from the bottom after 10 minutes. Looks like the perfect summer sipper.

S: Mellow, earthy hops that remind of a Willamette strand. A malty undertone is weak, but evident. Overall, a mild nose that still gives a good preview of the body.

T: Those hops are awesome! I just looked it up: they are the Centennial variety. It has a good, earthy blast of freshness, then an unexpected floral note jumps in. Like a freshly picked wildflower, the aromas take you to a level of satisfaction that’s hard to duplicate. Great stuff. Apart from the hops, there’s not a whole lot, though. There’s a faint wheat note every once in a while, allowing a calm melon/grapefruit to come through, but that’s it, really. Oh well, the hops are complex enough to leave any craft drinker satisfied.

M: Well, as it was with many Bell’s I’ve tried, it’s a bit runny. Just barely noticeable in this brew, though.

O: Summer beer at its best. It's not super-complex, but I don't feel that's what it was meant to be. I’ll definitely be seeking out more Centennial hops-based offerings in the future, though. To be honest, I wish it had a lower ABV. I would make this a session favorite if it were under 5%.

BarryMFBurton, May 20, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I am not a fan of some IPAs, but I think I could drink this all day long.

It has great color and good carbonation. I love the smell you get from the centennial hops and it has just the right amount of bitterness, giving it a great overall balance between hops and malt. It has a nice finish making it a perfect anytime beer.

Yum!

ermeis06, May 20, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

As a portlander I am surrounded with spectacular beer and it is not often that I say "man, I wish (insert beer) was distributed here.". Bell's Two Hearted Ale made me say that today. This ranks among the best citrus IPAs I have ever tasted. I think This has found a place in my top 5 IPAs.

Two hearted is a slightly hazy copper orange color in my Sierra Nevada hop glass, there is some visible carbonation. After the pour the beer had a 3/4 inch cream head and as I drink it leaves sticky lacing. The smell of this beer is absolutely spectacular, I caught whiffs of orange before I was able to get the cap all the way off my bottle. The dominant smell is the citrus hops, but I think I am catching some floral hops as well. The taste starts with a slight sweetness, in the middle of my tongue I get a bit of pine flavor, finally as I swallow the beer I get a strong grapefruit bitterness. This grapefruit lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel for this beer is just where it should be. Overall, the only negative I can see about this beer is that I can't get it at the supermarket.

gkunkle, May 20, 2011
4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This baby pours a hazy light amber with a nice 2-finger head that doesn't hang around very long. I didn't detect much of an aroma (perhaps it's a little cold), just a faint floral citrus-like smell.

This beer is your typical American IPA. Fresh and zippy from the hops with a faint sweetness behind it. You get your typical IPA flavors here: grapefruit, lemon, and orange. The flavors are swept along by a nice viscous mouth feel. The bitterness is very manageable and not too overwhelming. Think of this beer as an ``introductory'' IPA.

This is not my favorite IPA, but it is darn good. Perhaps I'm imagining things, but I had a growler of this several months ago and I remember it with much more fondness than this bottle. Nevertheless, it is still a tasty and refreshing beer. Cheers!

Edit 1 - I have now had this beer numerous times and it is a go-to IPA. When it's reasonably fresh, it's about as good as an easy-to-get IPA can be. Delicious, crisp citrus-like hop notes and faint caramel sweetness with a spot-on aroma and a beautiful appearance.

Edit 2 - This is no longer a go-to IPA. I have discovered Fat Head's Head Hunter. Please forward my mail.

Edit 3 - I had a chance to try a cask-conditioned version of this beer recently. It still tasted like Bell's Two-Hearted, but the aggressive hop character was replaced by a mellow complexity and more well-rounded flavor. The sharp citrus-like notes were gone. In their place were more subtle, herbal, tea-like notes that complemented a faint, fruity flavor in the background. It was a very refreshing beer that I wish I could try again sometime.

deadonhisfeet, May 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from bottle into an American shaker. Pours a copper color with a nice head with good retention. A nice hoppy floral aroma that leads to a delicious balance of malty sweetness with an assertive bitterness. Nice coronation and mouthful and overall a really terrific beer.

3rdRowTailgater, May 20, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Amber copper with a nice head. Intense hop aroma, pine and citrus aroma, very North American hop profile. Strong bitterness, perhaps distracting from body of the beer. Finished clean. Some more complexity in the malting would be nice, balance? There is a good hop finish in flavor, but it goes to quickly because of over bitterness.

ComputerBeer, May 20, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A: beautiful clear copper color with a small head nd little lacing.

S: floral citrus hops, slightly earthy.

T sweet bouquet of hops, not real bitter.

M: sharp and clean. slight carbonation. nice dry finish.

O: awesome beer, glad i finally tried it. will definatly buy more. and highly recommend.

match1112, May 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into Pilsner Glass.

A: Lighter in color than most IPA's I've sampled at least. Pours a beautiful blonde color, with what seems to be plenty of carbonation. Head lingered the entire glassfull.

S: Wow. Smells great. Perfect smelling hop forward ale. Earthy, Fresh, Yes.

T: Crisp. Piney, Earthy, Citrussy, Yes.

M: Light-Bodied. Full of Carbonation.

O: Great beer. I can see what all the fuss is about. Highly suggest this beer if you have been snubbing your nose up at your local liquor store. My GF pointed out that the art looks "camo". I can see what she means, but that is not how I see it. The artwork for this beer is so simple, yet so original and unique.

morehoppps, May 19, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a hazy amber orange with a nice head. Intense hop aroma, resiny pine and citrus aroma. Strong bitterness, again, pine, citrus, and a hint of grapefruit to the body of the beer. Finishes clean and dry. I find this beer maybe a little too dry on the malt body, but I am a little picky when it comes to bitter hoppy beers. I prefer from the bottle than to the tap on this one. Drink on a hot and muggy day, you will surely be rewarded.

manitouman84, May 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this one in a standard pint glass out of a 12 ounce.

Appearance
Pours a nice two finger white head without much effort. Head sticks around for awhile with lacing going down the glass. Has a beautiful golden straw color with some carbonation. Exactly what an American IPA should look like.

Smell
Hops. Plenty right off the bat. Something smoky as well. Never been good at naming wood so I won't make a guess. Also a faint fruit smell barely there but adds a nice touch.

Taste
Hops come out here with the woody smell turning out to be piney. Fruity taste is hard to detect but it's there and there is also some malt here as well.

Mouthfeel
Smooth but has carbonation so it's not too smooth. The malt makes it a bit thicker than medium. Not my preference for the style but it won't stop me from having another.

Overall
A great American IPA that I'll gladly get again. Something to drink around the holidays thanks to that piney fragrance and taste. Definitely in my top 10 of the style.

Ziro, May 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Golden straw with small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Citrus, floral hops.
T: Huge hoppy flavor, with balanced bitterness. Pine cones, lemon.
M: Very refreshing, not too hoppy though. Very enjoyable. Light to medium sized body.
D: Awesome. Could have a couple easily. Great IPA

birdman200, May 17, 2011

A- Clear dark gold with a huge rocky white head that lasts, leaving spidery lacing down the glass.

N- Ripe tropical fruit, including pineapple, dominates the nose. Some brighter citrus notes and subtle pine resin add complexity. Just a hint of the sweet malt completes the bouquet.

T- Hoppy goodness fills the mouth on first sip. Toasted grain dripping with pine resin. The sweet malt and bitter pine complement each other perfectly. Some fruity notes in the middle accented by juicy citrus. Long grassy finish leads to aftertaste of toasty grain and pine resin.

M- Medium bodied, sticky with mouth-coating hop oils, moderate carbonation, and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, one of the great American IPAs. This is a world-class beer in one of the most competitive styles in the US today. Artfully crafted and undeniable.

KevinBrewer, May 16, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard shaker pint glass.

Golden orange in color. Ever so hazy with a finger or so of slightly off-white head which produces some heavy duty lacing.

Smells of citrus hops (mainly grapefruit) with some piney hops notes as well. No noticeable malt aroma in the nose, but man those hops smell so good, I'm not really missing it.

Taste is also dominated by big, bold, assertive hops flavors. Delectable citrus hops are the star. There is some piney flavors as well as a touch of sweet caramel which provides a malt backbone to the brew.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick and a touch oily. Carbonation is ample and provides a touch of creaminess to the beer.

Overall, what a great IPA. It packs a sizable hops punch but is well balanced and very tasty. One of my go to American IPAs.

pburland23, May 16, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance - pours a golden ale colour, initially cloudy but once everything settles becomes fairly clear. there is some good carbonation in the beer as well. head is about 2 fingers, quickly drops to one and last a long time. some nice lacing.

Smell - smells like a classic IPA, pine, citrus, hops, very well balanced.

Taste - very good tasting beer, well balanced. hops and some sweetness right away, almost a hint of caramel. the pine and hops come in around the end of the beer and a slight bitterness. there is a lingering taste as well, very solid.

Mouthfeel - some solid volume added with the same as in the taste just glorified. love the balance this beer maintains in the mouthfeel while filling every inch of my mouth with happiness.

Overall - picked up from my good buddy spinrsx and i love him for it! what a fantastic beer, offers so much and I can drink 10 of them. one of the best IPA's around.

Swedes21, May 15, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Have had this several time in bottles and on tap. Reviewing a normal on tap experience

A- Nice orangish color with small amount of disappearing head.

S- Good smell for an American IPA, not too overbearing, but it's there.

T- Average taste for the style. Some citris and pine, but there is an almost bready taste in there too, that reminds me of average homebrew.

M- Good clean mouthfeel with decent carbonation

O- While this isn't a bad beer to have, I don't quite get all the raves. As I mentioned, I can I have tried in bottles and draft, but I'm never blown away by it. I'm not against buying a pint here and there, but there are usually several other offerings in the places I go that I would choose first.

BareRepublic, May 15, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

Reading the other reviews of this beer, my expectations were sky high. This beer met my lofty expectations as an outstanding IPA.

Color is a gorgeous golden orange, with a humongous white head that lasts through the entire glass. There's still a layer of foam with my last sip. A real beauty.

Scent is a fruit cocktail - ripe pear, peach and some apple. The hops impart a grapefruit taste with a piney sharpness that is notciable but not overwhelming. A strong malt backbone is present to give a nice balance. A biscuity taste is subtly present throughout, but comes through most in the finish and aftertaste. Mouthfeel is full and rich. Wonderfully balanced, complex, and very enjoyable. Sadly, I only had one on hand. Can't wait to have another one.

DeltaGolfSierra, May 15, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with fairly average amount of white head that disappears quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell-Citrusy in smell with a caramel backbone. A bit piney as wel.

Taste-Pretty straightforward. Grapefruit and other citrus notes with a decent malt backbone. Hops are abrasive. Lingering sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel-High carbonation, even too much. Medium body, not easy drinking, but not hard either.

Overall-Painfully average. I wanted to really like this beer. I got one once as an extra a few months back and didn't like it much then. Then bought a sixer of it while in Indiana for DLD and same result now.

xanok, May 12, 2011
4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Slightly hazy orange colour with a fairly large size frothy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some really good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 4-5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, tangerine

Taste & Mouth - There is a high amount of carbonation and most of the taste is made up of caramel and malts mixed with hops. There is also some citrus juice and zest.. grapefruits and tangerines. A little bit of pine flavour comes in during the lingering bitter aftertaste.

Overall – This is probably one of the most drinkable beers I’ve ever had.. after every sip I just wanted more and more. The flavours are perfectly balanced and it came across as very clean and crisp. I find most IPA’s a little too sugary sweet to have a few of them in during one sitting.. but this one is flavoured perfectly.

spinrsx, May 12, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Recently decided to retry this beer and found it MUCH more enjoyable than the first time.

Pours a golden orange with half a finger of white head.

Pretty sweet smelling with grapefruit notes, subtle pine.

Taste follows up on the nose. Bitter hoppyness balanced with a nice mellow sweetness. The hops definitely give off more grapefruit than anything else, as well as some pine again.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little carbonation, though the bottle I had last week was better than this.

Drinkability is good. Definitely better than the first time I've had it, must've been a bad bottle. This one was a little flat but when I had it last week, it was better. Going to have to get this on tap to really judge this beer.

VMWhelan, May 10, 2011

Poured this into a Bells pint glass.

A: Bright orange in color. Creamy head with some good lacing down the glass.

S: Alot of citrus in the nose. I really like the aroma on this one but seems to be one dimensional. There is just a little bit of carmel in their too.

T: All citrusy hops. Not much in the way of bitterness, but that is not what this one is supposed to deliver. Crisp finish.

M: It is definitely thin and has a light feel in the mouth.

This is a go-to beer for me. Alot of flavor and does not try to overpower.

elephantrider, May 10, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance- Pours a clear pumpkin orange with a one finger height head and plenty of small champagne like bubbles.

Smell- Distinct notes of citrus, grapefruit, pine dominate here.

Taste-Here is where this brew really opens up. Flavor by the tons! Piney bitterness that blends really well with crisp, light malty notes. Dried Apricot comes through in the finish and most of the character expresses itself in the back half of the palate. Perfect carbonation is also noteworthy here.

RashyGrillCook, May 09, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright orange color and very clear, medium to light carbonation bubbles that give this one a bright white creamy and sticky head. Lace looks like it might stay around for the sunset.

Smell is mostly bready yeast and sweet malts. A bit of a bitter citrus smell covered in some caramel. I would say orange rind with cotton candy laced on top.

Taste is a lot like the smell. It hits the tongue with a mild biter punch and then mellows it out with a sugar sweetness. There is still quite a bit of bready yeast flavors of which I am not very fond of.

Mouth is a bit thin. I don't think this offering from Bell's stands up to other great IPA's.

Overall. I have had this many times in the past but haven't had the chance to review it. I found a sixer of batch 10337 (bottled April 20th 2011) and was so happy to have such a fresh offering, but I don't think this stands up to any high end IPA. Maybe I'm having an off night. I will save the other 5 for a later taste. If they are better then this one I edit my review accordingly.

azdback, May 09, 2011
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.