Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
phishgator

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

I had this from a 5L keg. It poured unfiltered orange with a big foamy head that clung to the glass the entire time. The aroma was a sweet grapefruit and roses. The taste is were I was a little lost. The sweetness of malt jumped upfront and then the bitterness was there, but not as pronounced. The hop oils coated your mouth from start to finish. The body was big and filling. I like it better from a bottle, IMO.

01-25-2010 17:01:06 | More by phishgator
Minotaur

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A slightly hazy golden-copper ale with a substantial head. Very low head retention and very little lacing.

The aroma is dominated by the hops but with a crisp nuttiness to support the sharp sourness.

The taste is well balanced between the malty sweetness with a bready nuttiness. The bitterness and floral note of the hops comes in at the end and is not overwhelming. Citrus and green grapes are noted flavors.

The mouthfeel is crisp and fresh, full with solid carbonation and not heavy.

Very drinkable and easy going on the palate despite the dominating hops.

01-25-2010 02:47:56 | More by Minotaur
Casey10

Maine

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a really nice beer it is hard though after comparing a Hoplsam, Red Racer IPA and a Two Hearted to give this one a great rating. I like this but just not as much as the first two mentioned.

A - Hazy orange faint head good apperance.

S - slight lemon, definate citrus, light pine.

T - crisp easy taste nice lemon for sure really nice.

M - tangy citrus feel that stays with you and will feel later.

D - This is one definately great beer that one could have many of and keep enjoying.

01-23-2010 01:55:36 | More by Casey10
feelmefoam

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12 ouncer into my Dogfish Head specialty glass.

Heard a lot about this beer, figured I'd give it a shot and save it for my 100th review. Right out of the bottle this thing looks great. Pours a murky yet glowing honey wheat color with light peach-colored highlights and lots of effervescent carbonation running up the side of the glass and into two fingers of fluffy, bubbly off-white head. The head has amazing retention and leaves dripping rings of sticky lacing hanging from the side of the glass.

The nose is probably one of the best I've smelled on any beer to date. As soon as I popped the bottle, I could smell a cornucopia of scents, and that beautiful head on the beer really helped release them once it hit the glass. Candied lemon peel, grapefruit, and any other kind of citrus you can think of leap out of the glass in volumes. This thing smells delicious.

Two Hearted doesn't disappoint on the palate, either. I was geared up for a punishing bout with the citrusy hops I smelled in the nose, and although they were there in full flavor, a sweet, buttery maltiness hung around to counteract some bitterness and make for an interesting combination of bitterness, sweetness, and sticky hop flavor in my mouth. I could ask for maybe a bit more bitterness, but who am I to complain? Very well done.

The mouthfeel is good as well. Medium bodied with a creaminess that works well with the oily nature of the hops, as well as a restrained amount of carbonation that doesn't overpower but lets you know it's there with a tickle on the tongue. Two Hearted starts wet and creamy and finishes dry.

Bell's really knocked this one out of the park. I could drink a six pack of this in one night and not regret it at all, no matter what the next morning held for me. Just a very well put-together American IPA that doesn't disappoint in any of the categories and excels in most. A very solid choice for my 100th review. Here's to you, Two Hearted. Can I toast the beer that I'm drinking?

01-23-2010 00:31:58 | More by feelmefoam
Patrick999

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I've had this more than a few times...why have I not reviewed it? This is a slightly older bottle....it has to be about 6-7 months.

A - Quite good. Cloudy gold due to its unfiltered nature. Lot of foam, a lot of lacing. American IPAs don't get much better looking.

S - Even slightly older, this still takes on a really nice hop aroma. This is different than it was fresh, mind you. Now I'm getting an interesting aged hop aroma....flowery, with candied pineapple and mango? Almost smells like a Belgian IPA of some sort, or some odd Belgo-German hybrid. As I said, very different from really fresh examples, Quite flowery and tropical fruit-y, still very good. It's still all about the hops, they just smell different.

T - Similar to the aroma, it isn't what it was fresh - but that doesn't mean it's bad. It has a flowery, spicy taste to it, almost as if this was spiked with Saaz and Hallertau rather than American hops. Slight nuttiness comes out as it warms further. Not overtly malty, even with some age. I think this allows the interesting aged hop flavors to come through.

F - Still great body on this one. Almost creamy.

D - This review is intended to approximate what my review of a fresher bottle would have been. Still, with some age on it, it's not a waste of time. In fact, I like it about as much as the fresh Two-Hearted, so don't give me crap about reviewing an aged beer.

Tastes like something you can drink a lot of, but the 7% will get you if you try.

01-22-2010 02:20:40 | More by Patrick999
GeezLynn

At The Porter 1/20/10 during Firkin Madness

Beer wasn't all that different from the tap or bottled versions, but was slightly more enjoyable - so will offer short review with modifications on original.

Nice hazy orange color with a large-bubbled white head. Smell had all the tropical hop characters and bready malt this beer is remarkable for. Flavor was also enjoyably sweet with fantastic mango/citrus/pineapple flavors over biscuity caramel malt. Mouthfeel was smooth, not dull like some cask beers and the lack of carbonation really seemed to prolong the bitter finish.

Two Hearted is a very good IPA that is even better as a cask ale.

01-20-2010 16:16:14 | More by GeezLynn
squaremile

Oregon

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a gold/light orange color, aroma is hops and some sweetness, nothing too special there. The taste is very interesting with a solid balance of piney hop bitterness and sugar cookie sweetness. I notice how sweet this beer is more than anything, which I enjoy, but it does fatigue me after about 20oz. I think this is one of the top 5 east coast style IPAs out there, but compared to the hop blast of the west coast versions, it doesn't hold up. But I do order it every time I am in the midwest.

01-18-2010 22:52:56 | More by squaremile
Poser

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a solid copper hue with a frothy top. Decent lacing. Aroma is strong on the citrus hops but with some florals there to help balance things. Flavor and mouthfeel are very heavy on the bitter. If you're not into IPAs, it might be a bit too much like drinking pinesol but if you're into the style it's a great hop-heavy-but-not-ridiculous IPA. This has earned a place in my top 5 or so IPAs.

01-18-2010 22:42:19 | More by Poser
eternaljester81

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I have to start by saying that Two Hearted is one of, if not my favorite, IPAs. With biases known, on we go.

A - This may be the one place where this beer lacks. There's nothing wrong with the appearance, it's just not overly striking. It pours a translucent gold with a relatively thin, white head. Lacing is decent, but I've certainly seen better.

S - Earthy hops up front, citrus in the middle (maybe mixed with cotton candy?), a some faint alcohol in the back. The scent is pleasant and inviting, and not overly aggressive. Unlike some IPAs, the scent is akin to "hop perfume" (not that there's anything wrong with that).

T - Obviously as it should, this is where Two Hearted shines. The taste is balanced, but leaning toward a bittersweet hop bite. There's still plenty of malty sweetness to counteract with the hops, with a definite hint of cotton candy coming through in the middle. A thorough "swish" through the mouth reveals the alcohol, which is otherwise well hidden. The finish is dry, with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

M - Not thick, but also not watery, the mouthfeel is spot-on for the style. The oily-ness of the hops balances well with the thiner, more refreshing nature of the brew, for something that is nicely pleasing.

D - While the hops provide a strong kick, there's nothing about this beer that's overpowering, making for a very drinkable brew. The 7.1% alcohol is deceptive in that it's not really noticeable unless the drinker is searching for it.

Overall, Two Hearted Ale is classic standby in the style, and an absolute go-to beer for myself. The price-tag is a bit hefty, but I'm of the mind that if a beer is worth it, price isn't of matter. Although, the price would almost certainly exclude this from being an everyday drinker. Regardless, Two Hearted is highly recommended for anyone calling his/herself an IPA fan.

01-18-2010 21:33:56 | More by eternaljester81
Freethyhops

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle into a Sweetwater pint. batch code revealed this beer was packaged November 23. less than 2 months since bottling.

A- pours a hazy light orange color. a vigorous pour produced a massive amount of head with tons of lacing. a very inviting IPA.

S- the aroma is fantastic. bursting with citrus notes. orange, lemon, and bitter grapefruit. almost stings the nostrils with the acidity. I love it.

T- surprisingly this beer is not overly bitter. it has an awesome malt backbone. a little sweetness plays into the orange/lemon citrus flavors and a load of bitterness finishes strong with biscuit flavors in the backround. it's without a doubt a hop forward beer but the more subtle malt profile makes it something special

M/D- ample carbonation gives the beer great crispness and adds to the drinkability. nothing standout about the feel besides that. clocking in a 7.0% this beer really drinks too easily, but there are lighter easier drinking IPAs out there.
still a flavorful & refreshing beer.

01-18-2010 08:04:25 | More by Freethyhops
minnunderground

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Damn it. I was waiting in hopes of getting a fresh one. Well mine was bottled on oct 28 or something. About 2 1/2 months old I really wanted a fresher one. Well the taste is good. I am not a huge hop head and only drink IPA's every couple of weeks and not many doubles for that matter. And really this tastes good but Not as much hop as I was expecting. Anyways had a kinda dry mouthfeel and adequate carbonation decent head retention, Piney then citrus hops. Very drinkable stuff and not too overpowering could get you in some trouble with the 7% and tasting like this. A good IPA, Even though Michigan is close unless I can get it fresher I will stick with the Wisconsin IPA's

01-18-2010 05:47:45 | More by minnunderground
icetraxx

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Poured a little too slowly into my regular pint glass and produced a one finger head which dissipated into a half-finger head rather quickly. The head sits as a cap for the rest of the beer, producing a little lacing. The beer is a golden amber in color with some orange haziness. I think an IPA could look much better.
After have this one multiple times, on-tap and from the bottle, I feel that two hearted is too hazy for the style and overall lacks head retention compared to similar IPAs.

S: Hops and Sourdough bread-like malt. The hops produce a fruity sensation that reminds me of banana, flowers, a tinge of orange, and finally some maple syrup sap/resin like aroma. The malt reminds me of sourdough bread and popcorn, but not adjunct-like, more so the buttery aspect of popcorn. Not hugely aromatic, but not muted.

T: Buttery, sweet malt with a balanced upfront bitterness, then a crisp finish. A fruity yet floral flavor that is similar to the aroma I described above is definitely noticeable. As a new IPA drinker, the bitterness does not hang on the tongue like I thought it would; there is very little aftertaste which is nice. The hops seem to be balanced with the malt, I really like that.
EDIT: After considerable IPA tasting, I can see that Two Hearted is truly a world-class IPA with a world class flavor profile. Taste score raised to 5.

M: Creamy and viscous for being a light colored beer. Perfectly, if slightly, over-carbonated.

D: I am surprised how refreshing, yet warming this beer is. The crisp yet malty finish begs me to take another sip over and over again.
I am now convinced that this is the World's best session IPA (though with 7.1% alcohol one should be careful).

O: The first IPA that I have loved. Delicious and "moreish", a 12oz bottle is never quite enough. Thanks, Bell's, for enticing me to try more beers of the IPA style. Bell's Two Hearted is one of the few beers that really is more than the sum of it's parts.

01-18-2010 04:40:35 | More by icetraxx
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz into tulip.

A- Attractive pour, beer is a clear golden amber with a nice 3-finger head that laces and has great formation and staying power.

S- Pale malt, mild pine and floral hops (simcoe?). Not terribly hoppy, but what's there is nice.

T- Significantly hoppy, my fears are unwarranted. Pine, resin, tree sap, bitter grapefruit rind, little to no malt. Sugary sweetness comes through, along with a bit of floral sweetness (like hibiscus)at times. Hmm. Interesting hop profile. Perhaps a bit too sweet for my tastes.

M- Good carbonation, hops are a bit acidic but that's OK, pretty good all the way around.

D- Fairly high, I enjoyed it. If it was in my distribution circle I'd get a 6er every once in a while. Not as 'wowed' as I thought I might be, still a pretty good beer.

01-17-2010 23:46:50 | More by ShogoKawada
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Nice rich golden color with a meringue sized head.
Smell: Nice floral estery aroma. Very rich.
Taste: Very strong hop flavor coupled with a hint of yeast. Very crisp and clean, but not too overpowering.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light but keeps a very strong flavor. Light carbonation but hard to drink a lot of different beers after this.

01-17-2010 23:43:07 | More by pzrhsau
DocTheDJ

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

PoW! Wow! I have had this many times now and it was my 1st try at this style of beer. I must say it is not for the faint of taste! Smells of piney hops and taste to match it. Bitter oh yes! Looks good and feels good in your mouth. (make sure to decant this one though!) Amazing frothy head with fairly nice sticky lacing for this style. Smooth and drinkable for its style, not over carbonated. Lacking a bit on depth of taste but I believe it fits its style nicely. 2 or 3 will go down great on a hot day but the high alcohol content will knock you down fairly quickly! Not sessionable for me but a good start to a tasty evening of drinks. Yum.

01-12-2010 20:13:36 | More by DocTheDJ
dstc

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a beautiful slightly cloudy amber color with a big frothy head. Head falls slow but remains. Nice sticky lace.

Beautiful hop nose with a nice herbal character.

Hop taste with a rather sweet middle followed by a slight lingering bitter finish.

Rather full and smooth in the mouth with a pleasant little bite.

World class easy drinking beer. Well done Bell's (again).

01-12-2010 14:17:19 | More by dstc
Kendo

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is golden honey-amber with a half-finger fluffy ivory head that sits well. Nice splotches of lace left behind.

S: Wow. This is what I want an IPA to smell like. Fresh C-hops are there in force. Grapefruity, lemony and juicy hops. Very, very pleasant nose.

T: Foundation of lighter malt is then subsumed by hops. Think juicy, sugar-coated grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine, though with the grapefruit the more dominant flavor. Finishes with a slightly grassy lemony taste to it as well.

M: Lighter than medium in heft, with carbonation perhaps a bit more active than I'd like. But all in all it's real smooth in the mouth, so maybe that carbonation isn't too much after all (<bumps score to 4.5>).

D: If this isn't a 5 then I want to meet the beer that is. Immensely drinkable. I had one with dinner (some sort of Moroccan-type chicken dish with cilantro) and had been planning to save the last of the sixer for some other special occasion but couldn't resist. Inasmuch as I cannot get this beer in NY, I am uncertain when I will get to sample this one again. For that I am sad.

Notes: My wife was drinking a Stone IPA while I was drinking this, so I did the Pepsi challenge. We both liked the Two Hearted better. It's lighter and a bit finer, but went down more easily. If I had access to this in NY, I would buy it by the case.

01-11-2010 23:17:57 | More by Kendo
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Dec 25, 2009

5L mini keg. Pours lightly hazy orange with a big fluffy white head that leaves clumps of sticky lacing.

The best aroma I've encountered in an IPA. Unbelievable tropical fruit and citrus aroma. Tons of pineapple, papaya, mango, orange, tangerine, grapefruit. An absolute treat to inhale.

Citrus and floral hops dominate the flavor, however they aren't as comlex or strong as in the nose. Some malt sweetness for balance, some caramel some bread. Solid bitterness, but not a tongue-scraper. Quite smooth. Finishes rather dry.

Medium carbonation, smooth mouthfeel, relatively light-bodied.

Wonderful smelling, incredibly drinkable, delicious IPA. One of my favorites.

01-11-2010 05:08:54 | More by elgiacomo
garbercury

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

As a guy who generally is not a big fan of hoppy beers, this is the one IPA that really does it for me. Just a tremendous accomplishment by Bell's. Plenty of flavor and finds a way to not overtake the flavor with hops overkill. Citrus in the notes and a Bubble-gum like flavor at the end, just an outstanding brew. The pinnicle of IPAs in my humble opinion.

01-10-2010 02:05:57 | More by garbercury
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bells Two Hearted pours a slightly hazy light gold with a thin but lingering head. The aroma is sweet and citrusy. Tons of orange and tangerine with no hint of bitterness. The bitterness is apparent in the flavor, it hits upfront with some nice light malty sweetness. Grapefruit and herbal hop flavor come through in the finish, with lingering an earthy resin bitterness. It's nice and smooth, I would never guess it was 7%. This beer is a steal at under $8 for 6.

01-09-2010 01:56:35 | More by ericj551
GPHarris

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

a - poured a three-fingers thick fluffy off-white head into a snifter. the head was very thick and lasted throughout the beer. it also billowed very nicely. the body was a bright, bubbly orange.
s - tons of hops! citrus and floral dominate the aroma.
t - sweet like honey as it hits the front of the tongue but finishes with an orange citrus flavor.
m - so creamy and smooth. almost perfect.
d - great beer and a standard-bearer when it comes to AIPAs.

01-08-2010 19:10:48 | More by GPHarris
Jprebs

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

I have to go on the record up front that this is my favorite American IPA - hands down.

It pours a lovely amber with nice lacing. The smell is almost my favorite part - it screams of a solid IPA but yet it's completely unique. So floral it's surprising, and it makes you want to taste it even more.

The taste is, in my opinion, what beats you into submission. It's obviously a top-notch IPA, but yet it's different in so many ways. Maybe a little sweeter than the classic hop bomb, but absolutely crisp with the kind of aftertaste that keeps my attention.

The mouthfeel is smooth; the alcohol is well hidden for a higher gravity IPA.

Drinkability? Give me a case and lock me in a closet for a week. I'll emerge a better man.

01-08-2010 05:03:37 | More by Jprebs
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass at Monks Belgian Cafe in Philly.

Rich golden color with a nice white head that stays for a bit and laces nicely. Smells of sweet hops, a bit bitter with some bite. First drink was a lot of flavor, crisp and bold. There was some bitterness at first but it smooths out into citrus flavor. The hop flavor balances out with the citrus finish and the bitterness smooths out and add a nice crispness to the drink. Easy on the mouth and easy going down..

01-08-2010 02:27:04 | More by nrpellegrini
sophisticated

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Mmm...I'm a native Michigander, so was excited to pick up a couple of these on a trip back home.

A) Nice hazy orange-straw colored with a finger of tight mounds of white foam that left nice lacing behind.

S) Good smell, very inviting. Hoppy goodness. Citrus, floral, pine.

T) Mmmm, more hoppy goodness. Pineapple and citrus-hops dominate. Also more pine-y hops and bitterness, with some malt sweetness as an undertone.

MF) Medium and crisp.

D) VERY good. I love IPAs, and this one was no exception.

01-08-2010 01:51:21 | More by sophisticated
RppIII

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12ounce bottle into a Pint Glass

Pours an amber with hints of mahogany, the head is a phenomenal three fingers and amber white. The lacing of this beer almost outdoes the massive fluffy head and the retention never leaves the top of the beer uncovered. Once settled into the glass the beer takes on a beautiful haze letting you know that this beer is packed with flavour!

Hop citrus, grapefruit, grapefruit and some more grapefruit waft from my glass. I love the smell of the Centennial hops absolutely fantastic.

The smell is a perfect preview to the deliciousness that awaits in each mouthful of hop infused goodness. A sweet, citrusy, hop flavour of grapefruit balances well against the bittering hop characteristics of this beer. Seems to sweeten as it warms, a very bold candied sugar flavour is present for the majority of the taste, a slight bitterness presents itself almost as an afterthought and soon fades back to a light candy and citrus flavour.

Carbonation and viscosity make this beer pleasing to the palate.

A very drinkable and well-crafted beer, it has everything if not more than I would expect from an American IPA. Extremely flavourful and well balanced this beer plays on itself first by captivating you with it's deep amber and frothing white head. It takes hold with it's magnificent aroma of grapefruit, citrusy hops, and a hint of sweet fruit. The flavour drags you in with a ridiculously large grapefruit and citrus flavour congruous to the bittering subtleties of the hops. The feel of this beer in your mouth and it's sheer need to be consumed get you hooked. I set this beer as the standard to which all others in this style strive to reach.

01-07-2010 00:45:02 | More by RppIII
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.