Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
JoshuaJ

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Had on tap at the Northside Tavern, Cincinnati, OH.

Poured a hazy golden color with a decent head and good retention. Lacing was also good all the way down.

Smelled fantastic. The grapefruit hops dominated, with a bit of piney hop aroma peaking through. Definitiely one sided on the nose, but I liked it like that.

Tasted almost exactly like it smelled. The grapefruity hops dominate, but unlike the nose, the clean biscuity hops peak through. It's not enough that I'd call it a well balanced beer, but the hops flavor is just so damn good here. So fresh and so fruity, citrusy. The mouthfeel is good. It's fairly full bodied and warms the belly on the way down.

Drinkibility is high. This is a ridiculously refreshing beer. Perfect for a beautiful spring night like tonight, on an outdoor patio at my favorite bar in town, with my favorite person in the world. Excellent.

06-01-2009 02:41:30 | More by JoshuaJ
jera1350

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Golden color with a slight haze, massive head, tons of lacing down the whole glass.

S- Big fruity hops, citrus, pineapple and a bit of pine.

T- Big complex piney hops coat the tongue and leave a slight bite. Citrus with a nice sweet malt to back it up. Like a subdued Hopslam.

M- About medium bodied, smooth feel in the mouth.

D- Outstanding drinability. Probably the finest IPA I've ever had. 7% ABV, but I could easily session this. I can't set it down and it leaves you wanting more. Great beer!

06-01-2009 02:11:35 | More by jera1350
marvin213

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

It's like a Halle Berry brown, and it looks similarly delicious. Nice foamy top with staying power. Its light and translucent with a refreshing appeal. In contrast to the big ol' bubbles I've found in some feeble attempts at hop bombs, these little bubblies just sit there beckoning. If I were to pour a beer over my head after a marathon, this would be it. Though I'm a little skewed in regards to beer (I am reviewing one), this beverage looks like a real thirst quencher.

Smell bolsters the look. It's a hop flower worthy of botanical gardens. I figure Cascade, but I admit I'm an amateur. It's got an alluring citrusy component as well. It's like Pine-Sol without the chemical aspect. The beer smells real clean and pure. It's a well-crafted production.

I get the American malts more in the taste than the smell, and I reckon they provide the aformentioned tone. As I actually try to find fault with the beverage, I'd say it's a tad on the sweet side. I know it's not fair, but I compare every IPA I encounter to HopSlam. Since I'll reserve exceptional status for a beer like that, I have to decide if this is good or very good. If this were in a thread, I'd be bombarded by people telling me it's not trying to be HopSlam, and I realize that. In fact, I think it accomplishes precisely its aim: it's a citrusy sweet, well-balanced malt beverage with ample IPA hop to it. It's a very good beer.

The malts are present enough in the mouthfeel to counter any enamel pull. I don't know if I need a beer to rip my teeth from my gums or what, but I still want more dadgum hops! Great beer, great production--carbonation's right on--but I'd say the mouthfeel is only good. That's right--ONLY good.

It's really drinkable. Somewhere in this review, however, I want to fuss about the label. I'm sure it'd help to know the story of its origin, but I hate the fish and I don't really like the name. If Bud Light get drinkability credit for its marketing (and it should), then Two-Hearted gets a demerit for its. Despite the -0.5, it's a good beer to always have around, particularly right now as the summer approaches.

05-31-2009 21:03:50 | More by marvin213
eljefe21

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Dull golden in color like apple juice. Pours to a billowy three finger head.

S: Malty pine-hop smell.

T: Some nice dry maltiness to finish but not enough of the hoppy, piney, citrusy bite up front that I prefer.

M: Some carbonation up front with a nice dry finish.

D: Very drinkable and refreshing beer. Not quite as good as I expected. Wonder if I got something less than fresh.

Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

05-30-2009 20:09:09 | More by eljefe21
Bobbydigi

Kansas

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a 12 bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy deep golden color with a one finger head with very little lacing

Citrus and fruity hop hit the nose immediately faint pine smell lingers in the background. The smell isn't huge but it does smell great.

Taste pretty much matches the smell. Very nice hop presence but not overpowering. A great hop after taste stays in your mouth until your next drink. Very tasty.

This is a very smooth IPA, the carbonation is balanced perfectly making it very drinkable. I will be drinking this one all summer, and possibly fall and winter. Overall a great IPA

05-29-2009 03:13:07 | More by Bobbydigi
donkeyrunner

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Light amber color with a large white head. Ethereal snow drift lace rings and good retention.

Smells like a hop smorgasboard: Juicey Fruit, citrus and floral hop mixed with a mild herbal twang and pine in back. Sweet twinkie malt.

Tastes as good as it smells. Lots of pine with citrus rind. Hop oil is everywhere and graham cracker malt underneath it all. The mouthfeel, I dare say, is frolicking.

05-28-2009 23:26:05 | More by donkeyrunner
mjl21

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh. 12 ounce bottle poured into the new SA glass. Part of batch 9017 and was packaged on 3/10/09. Comes in at 7%.

A-Pours a hazy yellow amber with a 1 1/4 finger off white head that reduces in half before resting. Leaves a lot of nice sticky lace.

S-Lots of citrus hits first, including grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Sweet malt comes through as it warms, but it is by no means overly sweet. Pine aromas really come out as it sits in the glass.

T-Like the smell, the citrus notes hit upfront. There is some honey sweetness in the middle. On the finish it is a tad bit grainy and it has a nice level of bitterness that is not overpowering.

M-Medium bodied and crisp. It leaves the mouth with a nice oily coating.

D-The 7% is very well hidden and I could easily down a few of these. It is a nice change from the usual bitter WC IPAs I am used to drinking.

I found this to be another great beer from Bell's. It goes down smoothly and in a lot of ways reminded me more of a pale ale amped up with lots of hop aroma. Would love to try this fresh on tap.

05-28-2009 16:59:01 | More by mjl21
rwdkosak

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a good beer...kind of a go-to six pack, especially when on sale!
Poured into tulip, lightly chilled with a nice thick head forming over clear gold color. Nose of full hops, taste is again full hop, light bitterness throughout with sweet notes, smooth finish. Not too high on ABV so fairly drinkable and won't feel bad about having a couple (or a few) in a session. Overall, one of my easy-drinking favorites...have it on tap too!

05-28-2009 01:23:23 | More by rwdkosak
Vonerichs

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass and produced a huge, soft, foamy head. It kept a nice thin layer until finished and when I was done the entire glass was coated in sticky lacing.

Citrus hops and a slight sweet malt in the nose with slight hints of floral and pine hops. The smell is a very fresh balance of all kinds of wonderful hops.

It tastes just like it smells, delicious. The bitter finish is well done and leaves a near perfect aftertaste that is typical of a quality IPA.

Mouthfeel is clean, fresh, and crisp. The body is actually light, which...

Makes this an extremely drinkable IPA. In fact, one of the most drinkable I've had. The 7% abv is flat out shocking to me and can't be detected at all.

That's one damn fine IPA.

05-27-2009 01:42:47 | More by Vonerichs
duffextracold

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Donkeyrunner went to st.louis, so he brought some of this back, much to my excitement. Pours a light honey colored, crisp, clear, delicious looking beer. moderate sized white head. aroma is mostly citrus, with hints of floral, and some fruitiness. Amazingly well balanced taste. bitter hops, with a strong, but not overbearing malty backbone. has that tasty, intense hop flavor without being overly bitter. grapefruit aftertaste, again, without being too bitter. nice light to medium mouthfeel, not too light, but not syrupy thick. refreshing , not quite heavy, carbonation. drinkability ranks very high, i enjoy this beer very much, and it saddens me that I only have one left.

05-27-2009 01:03:29 | More by duffextracold
pinotboy007

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Bright, cloudy amber hues and a huge khaki, dense, billowy head that eventually settles to an odd looking globule that resembles a volcano. Awesome. Modest but chunky lace.

S - Citrus, cinnamon spices and soft pine. Yum.

T - Like it smells. Piney hoips that don't clobber you but are more than obvious. Has some peach-like accent to it. Delicious!

M - Soft carbonation provides decent creaminess which makes for a lip-smacker of a brew.

D - With the ABV in-check this is one helluva brew.

05-26-2009 22:59:35 | More by pinotboy007
samie85

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A- Golden with a one finger white head.

S- Citrus, mostly grapefruit/a little orange, and malt.

T- Grapefruit bitterness with a little malt, and a piney aftertaste. Really good...

M- Pretty creamy and oily in the mouth initially with a dryness that occurs later.

D- This one is so easy to session. One of my favorite IPA's.

05-26-2009 18:10:10 | More by samie85
OzarkElmo

Missouri

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Consumed May 23, 2009. From bottle to tulip. Pours a hazy dark golden/orange with moderate white head. Lacing lingers throughout. Classic IPA aroma of citrus/pine/grass hops and hints of caramel malt. Very well-balanced beer with good bitter finish that does not linger. Excellent beer IMO and up at the top of American IPAs for me - Cheers to Bell's!

05-25-2009 19:49:09 | More by OzarkElmo
dublife1

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

What can I say that hasn't been already said? This is definitely one of the best and most unique IPA's around, period!!! Nice 1" head with a smell of honey and citrus. Taste is where this beer excels. Various fruits and honey dance all around your mouth and beg for you to drink more! Mouthfeel is outstanding and it is really hard to put this one down. World Class for sure and one of my go to beers!!!

05-24-2009 22:37:54 | More by dublife1
kirkmichel

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

A-Amber-gold semi opaque. light foam which leaves thin lace on the surface and down the pint glass I am using.
S-Smells like honey and stone fruit; maybe peaches and apricots, a bit of pear thrown in there and possible banana...You can smell the hops, but I don't find them piney.
T-Tastes like lots of great hops; the piney flavor coats your entire tongue and you get an oily-hoppy flavor, with bananas and some other fruits like peach thrown in.
M-Nice but a bit oily, presumably from the density of hops. They definitely stay with you, but in a good way.
D-Could definitely drink a few of these. They taste super.

This was a little rushed...had a near dinner catastrophe in the middle of my review...

05-24-2009 22:03:10 | More by kirkmichel
BarrelO

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Batch 9096, packaged on April 20. 2009.

A: Light brown. A vigorous pour creates a big head. A good amount of lacing.

S: Grapefruity hop aroma. If you don't know what Centennial hops are all about, you will after giving this a whiff.

T: Hops. Piney, citrusy hops. Glorious, glorious hops. Slightly soapy.

M: Resiny, almost syrupy.

D: To paraphrase Prince of Space, I like it very much. Definitely a go-to beer if I need a hop fix.

05-24-2009 05:33:54 | More by BarrelO
montecristo2

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

I have to say this is my favorite IPA so far. Can't find it NJ, so I have a friend buy it for me in Va.

Great hop aroma and taste. Citrus with a bit of bitterness- a great accompaniment to Indian food. Also great with an aged Stilton cheese. Not overpowering, but you know you are drinking an IPA, no doubt.

Awesome thick off-white head, at least three fingers.

I have tried it with different glass styles, but the pint glass seems to be the best because it allows the floral and citrus notes to really hit your nose before you take a sip without being overpowering.

Highly recommended!

05-23-2009 14:21:11 | More by montecristo2
krisandajt

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Grabbed the last six pack in the store...glad I did too. Batch number verified on Bells website indicates bottles were packaged on Mar 31, 2009.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, coppery color with a solid inch of head that fades slowly leaving some nice lacing.

Smell: A nice bitter slightly piney hop smell.

Taste: I was expecting a stronger hop presence but found the brew to have more of a balance between the malty sweetness and the bitter hops. Hops absolutely prevails with a bitter, pine flavor, but the hops are complimented very nicely with a bit of malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation along with the hops leaves a nice tingle on the tongue. As it sits, the carbonation lessens and becomes smoother to drink, but still keeps the hoppiness. Delicious.

Drinkability: Very very drinkable. Nice hops that aren't overpowering make this a great IPA to sit and enjoy. I will absolutely be having more of these.

05-22-2009 23:07:45 | More by krisandajt
pmccallum86

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

This is one of my utmost favorite IPAs. It has a fantastic hop character with a sweeter flavor accompanying it, I can't put my finger on what that sweet flavor is, but it compliments the hops beautifully.

A) Decent sized head upon pouring, just about to overflow my pint glass but decided not to. The color is gold with a slight red tint.

S) The smell is amazing, hoppy and fruity pebbles, awesome.

T) Hoppy, but extremely well balanced, more so than any other IPA I have tried.

M) Slightly bitter, and then sweet/citrusy, definitely delicious.

D) This is perhaps too drinkable, is there is such a thing. Absolutely delicious beer.

05-22-2009 05:25:55 | More by pmccallum86
LyonsHead

3.8/5  rDev -11%

A:Dark yellow with an orangish hue. great fluffy white head. pretty cloudy which takes away from it in my eyes

S: Wow, this is an amazing floral bouquet coming from this one. There must have been some serious dry-hopping goin on here

T: Heavy on the hops, I would have liked to see more on the flavor but the focus seems to shift towards the bittering hops. Finishes clean and has a decent malt backbone but the hop profile is clearly where this beer is focused.

M: pretty standard, on the lighter side. does finish dry and clean

O: this is a good IPA, its reputation may be better than the beer itself but I liked it and would definitely try another.

05-21-2009 20:11:49 | More by LyonsHead
carlborch

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Sweet aroma with beautiful hop notes . Hints of grassyness and summer. Pours a brilliant golden hue with a well developed lasting head. Belgian lace with bearded structures form as I drink this ale. Sweet forward flavors with a lingering bitter, but not walloped, finish. Very clean palate. Pine forests? Clean flavors. Excellent IPA. Top of class. Excellent accompaniment to foods that need some cleansing bitter notes, yet perfect to sip on the porch after a long day at work.

05-21-2009 18:27:17 | More by carlborch
porterwoobie

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Served out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish-amber color, one finger of white head with some lacing

S: really powerful piney hops

T: lots of hop bitterness up front and finishes on the dry side

MF: smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability: this IPA is excellent. very easy to drink, it doesn't take long before i'm looking for a refill.

05-21-2009 12:51:09 | More by porterwoobie
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a big frothy 3 finger head. Nice golden yellow color. Thick lacing left on side of glass.

S. Nice citrusy hop smell. Some piney hop smell as well. Also slightly floral. Malt lies beneath the hops.

T. Nice hop bitterness. Very well balanced beer between citrus hop taste and a malty biscuit flavor.

M. Light-medium bodied. Smooth with a lingering finish.

D. A very drinkable beer if there ever was one. One of my favorite IPA's.

05-19-2009 21:25:44 | More by siradmiralnelson
Birchgrove77

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz. bottle from batch 9059 poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice golden color, with hints of orange hue, with a nice half-inch white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a lot of lacing on glass.

S: Nicely balanced aroma. Hop aroma hints at pine and lemon zest, but seems to be dominated with grassy notes. Malt quality lies faintly beneath the hops and seems to hint at honey.

T: Piney hop quality tickles the front of the tounge, but explodes with a grassy/herbal (basil) note in the back of the throat. Nice residual sweetness remains with hints of grapefruit. Very nice IPA.

05-18-2009 05:30:06 | More by Birchgrove77
portia99

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Served from a 12oz bottle (batch 8786) received in a trade with Hophead101 into a Portsmouth goblet. Thanks!

A - Poured a nice, hazy bright orange color with a 1/2 inch white head. Head lingers for a minute or two, then dissipates to leave a nice ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S - First thing I smell is a sweet caramel malt...then the hops kick in and take over. Hops are citrusy - blends really well with the malt. Excellent.

T - Good bitterness on the sides and back of the mouth, malty sweetness on the middle of the tongue. Very nicely balanced - well rounded.

M - Medium body, good strong carbonation levels. Has a slippery feeling on the tongue.

D - Very well balanced beer - nothing out of place. This is a beer that I could stay with all night without changing up.

05-16-2009 18:04:27 | More by portia99
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.