Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer was great. I wanted my brother to see the difference between an American Pal Ale and an American India Pale Ale.

So we drank this next to a Flying Dog Doggie Style APA. This beer blew it out of the water, even though my brother liked the APA more, cause this one was "too hoppy" for him.

Everything was great about this beer. Taste was perfect.
I am glad my brother didnt like it, so I could have it all.
Drinkablity is slightly down because of the intense hops.

drink1121, Apr 16, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: cloudy orange/gold with a one inch head and big carbonation

Smell: hops-grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: Based off of the smell, I was thinking this was going to be a hop bomb. The taste is really complex however. Hops do shine through, but it is balanced by malt and fruit. I get tastes of honey, honeydew melon, sweet fruit like orange and pineapple..Just a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, sweet with a small bitter hoppy aftertaste

Drinkability: This is a very balanced beer and firmly has me as a Bells convert. To me this does to IPAs what their Amber did to ambers. I love this beer. The highish ABV is masked, but I could otherwise drink these as a session.

tigg924, Apr 16, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz. Carefully decanted contents into a pint glass to leave sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Poured a transparent bright amber with a decent whitish head that left some lacing on the glass. Aromas are citrus - grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange. Also a nice floral hop presence with pine and slight hints of bubblegum. Mouth-feel is rather thin, but has some hop oiliness that coats the palate. Tastes are grapefruit, pine, and also has some floral notes from the hops. Hop bitterness is present, but well balanced by the fruity sweetness. This is one of the more sound American IPA's out there - a favorite of mine.

barnzy78, Apr 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to younger35, may you stay forever young.

Rainy Day Woman 35, everybody must get stoned to this beer. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with yellow highlights. B. U. T. Full.

Smells of very sweet malts, citrus, earthy, great smell. Let me smell of wildflowers flow free through my blood

Tastes beautifully hoppy, sweet, grapefruity, just a perfect for an IPA, it carries on it's shoulder a siamese cat, but I discovered this beer is really, where it's at.

Lingering citrus taste, sticky icky. Like Bob Dyan said about this beer:

So now I'm goin' back again,
I got to get to her somehow.
All these beers I used to know are an illusion to me now...

Murchmac, Apr 14, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Almost a carmel/amber color, but a little lighter.

S: Citrusy. Hoppy.

T: Very smooth. Perhaps a little too much so. The hop presence is great, but could be a little more potent.

M: Smooth. Easy.

D: If it weren't for the high abv, could easily be a session beer. Quite easy and enjoyable to drink.

moratorii, Apr 14, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

So my friends and I had a 16 beer bracket of locally found beers. They had to come in 6 packs and be available at the start of the bracket.

Kalamazoo.

For me this won with a combination of

A - Top shelf. Golden color and nice bit of head. The lacing looked wondrous.

S - okay. a little smell of hop, but not overwhelming

T - Smoooth. Taste the hop and it chills out in your mouth.

M - Dry and crisp

D - I would like to say I could drink it all day, but totally not able to do it. Still its wonderful on a warm day.

Grab yourself a pack!

Zeckster, Apr 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Served in a pint glass.
Nice fluffy head a little fuller and more sticky than your average.
Smell is of hops and some more hops...pine and grapefruit stick to your nose.
The taste is sweet hops upfront...nothing bitter until the end...grapefruit dominates with a hint of pine and a balanced malt sweetness. Typical IPA pucker hits the end and from what ive seen my bottle might be a bit older to have lost the real hop pucker but IMO this is very good and drinkable where some say its to much.
Mouthfeel is right on with crisp sweetness and delicious flavors making you want more leaving it very drinkable minus the higher ABV.

psulovesbeer, Apr 10, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

I finally have the chance to try this amazing brew. Thank you DukeDevil0

A - Wow, this beer looks magnificent. This beer poured a perfect half inch head in my pint glass, and has a very pale orange tint. Lacing is pretty.

S - very light, faint piney smell. The weakest aspect of this beer, not much going on in the nose.

T - Starts off bitter and piney sharp, then gets citrusy, and ends with a smooth sweetness. Great flavor in this brew.

M - this beer is smooth, crisp, dry, and perfectly carbonated for an IPA. This is the beers strongest aspect by far.

D - you cannot notice the 7% of this brew. There is nothing overpowering about this near perfect IPA.

Wow, I have heard good things about this beer, but damn am I over whelmed by how the hype for this beer delivered. Excellent brew.

abecall98, Apr 10, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a clear, light golden color with a nice four-finger head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: The smell is of spicy hops, not too heavy but apparent and the focus. The beer has a light grapey scent too along with some bread characteristics. It smells like an IPA but isn't in your face like some.

T: Taste is citrusy and winey, and a bit spicy like pepper. The alcohol is present in the mix but not strong, the hop bitterness comes into play late and lingers on the tongue. A good mild balance of all the flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is light, a tad oily but not heavy. Lots of carbonation, which gives a nice feel. The carbonation is heavier than other IPAs but gives a nice contrast to the smooth flavors.

D: Drinkability is good. I could drink a few of these, for the style of beer and the alcohol content the mix is nice and easy to drink.

greenjeff4141, Apr 09, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A--Murky golden yellow, poured a little too hard but pulled back and still got 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Decent lacing and very good head retention.

S--Sweet and malty with a big blast of citrus hops. Lemon, orange, and pear.

T--Very well balanced IPA that hits most of the right notes. Enough bready maltiness to give it a small sweet kick and then good hop bitterness to wash it down. Lots of flowery notes in the hops. This might be the best American IPA I've had yet. I jumped into DIPA's first so when going back I tend to find a lack of flavor in many IPA's, but this is definitely an exception.

M--Slightly too watery, doesn't really coat the mouth like I would hope but it washes down clean with no bad lingering tastes

D--This is it here, I think this is the beer I would use to introduce someone new to IPA's. Wish this wasn't 7% because it has the flavor profile for a great session beer but with catch up quick with you if you drink it too fast.

Two Hearted Ale is definitely a world class beer. Give it a shot.

alcstradamus, Apr 09, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Appearance is a funky orange fluid with a heavy carbonated head of one inch that slowly falls leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell is fresh cut hops that are also followed by a malty goodness. Alittle oil scent as well.

Taste is off balance. I taste metals, sulfer, hops and malt.. in that order... wierd. Try again... this time left alittle foam on my upper lip but still has the same taste with lingering after taste.

M-D- When it comes down to mouthfeel and drinkability i love all ipas and will forever. But for this one it leaves me wandering what went wrong.
M- Not the smoothest beer and leaves mouth feeling dry and unsatisfied.
D- Will have again not sure when.

wesbrownyeah, Apr 07, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Monstrous, space-hogging head. I mean, I poured firmly, but this is a little ridiculous. It looks very soft and fluffy and is off-white with an orangish tint to it. Very little lacing. The liquid is cloudy; golden, yellowy hues.

The nose contains tropical fruits and floral notes, and a little piney, peaty mustiness. I hate to say it, but there's also, a weird kind of plastic-like smell. It tastes much like it smells. There's some great hops notes going on here: pineapple, apricot, grapefruit, cotton candy. All the bitterness you would expect for an American IPA. An unwelcome metallic taste appears as it warms. Not cute. Light mouthfeel, and probably over-carbonated.

This used to be one of my favorite IPAs. However, for some reason this bottle featured a weird plastic-ness to it. I don't know if it's because my palate has changed or some other reason, but this beer is a but a shadow of my memory of it. The bad flavors are not overpowering, but enough for me to dock the taste and smell for it. Having said that, I won't dock them as much as I would if I were basing the scores on this bottle alone. Two Hearted Ale no longer deserves the position of a "fall back" beer. I will drink it in situations where nothing else of quality is available, but I will not seek it out on its own right anymore.

Edit: I drank two bottles (from the same batch) and they both had the weird plastic flavor. I will not raise my score on this review, even though I have had better TH's in the past. I don't know what's up with Bell's' quality control, but I think TH deserves lower scores if they are going to sell beers with a flaw this noticeable.

sarahspat, Apr 07, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: A bit lighter than an amber, the two hearted ale pours a full orange color with a rich, creamy head. Leaves slight, but noticeable lacing down the side of the glass in rings at the level of rest.

Smell: A strong caramel malt aroma with citrus hints, along with a strong hop character.

Taste: A strong malt flavor greets the palette, with the orange and apricot citrus flavors creeping in. The hops bring in the more detailed grapefruit and peach flavors. A nice bitter pinch at the end of the sip is nicely offset by a caramelized sweetness, leaving my mouth with a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: A full, somewhat grainy feel. More creamy than carbonated.

Drinkability: A good beer with a strong, balanced flavor. Definitely a nice beer to enjoy with a flavorful sandwich. This beer has enough flavor to keep me interested and is balanced enough for me to really savor it.

KickInTheChalice, Apr 06, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

This is one of my stand by IPA's. Very nice looking beer here. Pours semi-gold and amber with a very fluffy pure white head.Sticks around for a bit and then laces the glass as the brew disappears. This smells very piney and floral, with some underlying citrus (although quite faint). The hops are obviously the focus of this IPA and oils taste wonderful. Strong pine dryness coming through with a sweet malt backbone. Bit of raison underneath? Quite complex for an IPA. Very nice mouthfeel, smooth and slightly sticky. Very drinkable and refreshing.

youngblood, Apr 06, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Presentation - Poured the fishy bottle into a tulip as it was the only clean glass. Paired with a porter-laced irish chedder. Mmmmm!

Appearance - A pretty golden color all the way through. Held to the light it is luminously yellow, straw-colored but more vibrant in hue than your average straw colored beer. Ivory head caps a bubbly body, leaving lacings all up and down the inside of the tulip.

Smell - Citric, piney hops. The malt doesn't come through very well in the aroma, perhaps a bready note here or there?

Taste - Here's where the beer really shines. It is definitely hops forward, but there's a very substantial maltiness as well if one pays attention to the overall flavor. It's a biscuity, grain flavor, like baked bread. The hops are citric, but also floral and piney, a characteristic I prefer because too many IPAs I have tasted are grapefruit or tangerine bombs with nary a note of malt, or even a non citric hop to be found. This is a more balanced brew with a solid malt backbone and a more complex hop bouquet. Luckily this brew also escapes one of the worse pitfalls that IPAs can fall into: extreme bitterness. This has a bitter taste about mid swallow, and a dry finish, but the aftertaste is all hops. Despite this, there's no lingering bitterness, and the bitter tastes in the drink are balanced by the malt.

Mouthfeel - Light, yet substantial. The carbonation is moderate, not too much or too little.

Drinkability - A bit higher ABV than my usual brews, but definitely refreshing and thirst quenching in any situation. I have drank myself stupid on my friend's two hearted (wouldnt waste mine that way) and I can assure you it's just as tasty and drinkable after ten than after one.

A Note - This will start to lose hop flavor after a month or so in the fridge, and less in the cellar. Some people might not like this, but I say it is about equally good after losing some hops than before. It allows the tasty malts to really shine, and two hearted has a delicious grain bill, so maybe take a bottle when you grab a sixer and stick it somewhere for a month or two. Try it then if you're open minded enough.

BacklitAvenger, Apr 06, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A-Nearly clear golden-amber w/frothy white head. Decent lacing and retention.

S-Fresh floral and herbal hops, pale malt, light citrus, light biscuity notes, faint honey, grapefruit.

T-Even floral hops and pale malt, biscuity midpalate w/herbal character, and finish brings nice bitter hops w/aftertaste of light grapefruit rind.

M-Moderate-bodied w/even, prickly carbonation. The balance favors hop bitterness, but features a greater share of floral and herbal varieties, and less citrus hops than a lot of the American IPAs that are popular. This results in a reduction of the grapefruit/tangerine rind that sometimes dominates the finish and tips the balance overwhelmingly in favor of citrus hops.

D-One of my all-time favorite go-to beers.

BoitSansSoif, Apr 04, 2009

Bottle poured into pint glass. Amber in color...nothing too special. Lots of hoppy/citrus smell but really nothing else to note. Tastes like it smells, hops/floral/citrus with a clean finish. Mouthfeel is okay but really nothing to note...light carbonation and light body. I like this beer, but there are other IPAs I prefer.

Sean9689, Apr 03, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I have had this from bottles and in pint glasses.

Aroma: Wonderfully floral and hoppy, fruity citrus and pine smell does not overwhelm.

Taste: A less bitter IPA, taste mostly follows the nose, definitely refreshing, the alcohol is not noticeable

Mouth feel: If beer were soda.... light and fizzy

Easy drinkability, this is a light floral IPA which doesn't exactly fit the IPA mold, not intensely hoppy but tasty and refreshing, I could drink a large quantity of this. This is a good beer to give someone who has only ever had beer with LITE in the name, to break them of their foolishness.

Imsothirsty, Apr 02, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8%

A - Classic IPA coloration of amberish golden

S - Definitely a strong hop citrus

T - Disappointed by the taste in comparison to the nose. Balanced, yet not enough hop presence for me

M - Medium in carbonation and body

D - Definitely sessionable, but as always, probably not on my list of beers to acquire as there are plenty more IPA's I'd rather drink.

Martin2D, Apr 02, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm doing head to head of Two Hearted and Founder's Centennial IPA since they are both IPAs from Michigan and both are hopped with exclusively (i think) Centennial hops.

Both are dark, hazy gold/tawny. Two hearted is maybe a little ligher in color. Both pour nicely.

Both have nice IPA noses. Founder's nose might be a little more spicy and pungent but not necessarily better smelling. Two Hearted's nose might be called "floral".

Two Hearted is a lovely beer. Sharp piney hops up front but with a lovely body.
The Founder's is very nice as well but it is somewhat marred by an odd aftertaste. Again, it might slightly hoppier but that doesn't mean it is as good. Despite the same hops, and the beers do taste very similar, the two beers have their differences. I think I've got to say that two hearted is better.

nms1987, Mar 31, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Draught @ Flying Saucer, Charlotte.

Pours golden with medium white head, dissipates quickly - solid lacing.

Nose is clean sweet citrus. Very vibrant.

Flavor is well balanced - nice caramel malt body counterbalances the big citrus hops that assert themselves early and often. Fairly straightforward beer, but executed with deftness.

Nice body, sticky mouthfeel. Moderately bitter, hoppy finish.

Great balance, great beer. One of my favorite IPAs.

JohnQVegas, Mar 29, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured very nicely with a perfect amount of head that stayed for a nice visit and laced well in the glass. Smell was of hops and citrus fruit and wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting. Taste was somewhat citrusy, hoppy, with a brief staccato in flavor, and finished with good bitterness and very light piney flavor. Mouthfeel was good and it was well carbonated. One was enough though and I won't pick this brew up again for a while.

Ohiovania, Mar 28, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

dananabanana, Mar 28, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Awesome golden amber color with a pillowy white head.

S - Deliciously hoppy to the extreme. Flowery, sweet aroma takes a back seat to the hops.

T - Smooth, hoppy, dry aftertaste, malty and sweet characteristics balance out very well.

M - Creamy and dry

D - For an IPA, its a pretty drinkable beer. 2 might be my limit though. Its abounding flavors would try to suck me into drinking it all night tough.

BeerFMAndy, Mar 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Two Hearted has been a favorite of mine for awhile, I would call it my go-to beer. I finally decided to review it.

A- Pours a cloudy dirty orange, bordering on a rust color. I went a little violent on the pour whoops, but it produced a huge bright white head. One thing I enjoy about the appearance of this beer is how I can always see bubbles rising from the bottom. The head died a bit, but left good lacing down the glass.

S- Smells like a citrus hops variety with some spice in it. The citrus reminds me of peaches. This beer smells as good as it looks. The hops arn't overpowering. I like how when I really stick my nose in there I can pick out other scents, with hopslam I can't do that.

T- The taste is much less bitter than some IPA's. But is more sweet, a faint hint of alcohol can be found in the after tastes.

M- The mouth feel is great, very light. The carbonation bubbles explode as they hit your tounge leaving this excelent feeling. The beer doesn't dry the mouth at all, it kinda leaves a film actually. This beer is very refreshing by the way.

D- For me this is one of the most drinkable beers. They go down so smoothe, and quick! The alcohol is a bit high at 7% but not overwhelming after two or three. So not a session beer but if it had a lower abv it certainly would be.

brow1901, Mar 25, 2009
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.