Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,330 | Hads: 13,218

This is my go to beer; always have some on hand and it never disappoints. Full IPA flavor without declaring war on your taste buds. One of the first and still one of the best craft brews I've tastes!

This is my favorite beer. It was the first IPA I ever loved. I've tried many other great ones since, but this one remains the best for me. There's something about IPAs in general and this one in particular, that reminds me of a bug repellent we used as kids at the beach in Maine (and I mean that in the best possible way). When I smell this and then taste it, I'm taken back to the sounds of summer, the feel of soft white sand on my feet and the ocean breeze on a beautiful summer day, late afternoon.

Served on tap from my draft system into a 16oz pub glass

Light copper,reddish hue,almost clear slight hazieness,very livey looking beer. A very dense,rocky looking head,Sticking to the sides of the glass,looking like chunks of cottage cheese,very retentative,equally as inviting.
The breathtaking aroma super clean,a intense grapefruit aroma,like having a fresh grapefruit ripped apart in frount of your face,also piney and caramelly sweet.
Tasted like a sugar coated grapefruit,crisp and clean,tangy.Carmelly and piney,a perfectly balanced taste. It was so hard to rate the taste,I didn't want to put the glass long enough to jot down the notes
A medium mouthfeel,the perfect cloyingness,a nice inviting prickley feeling on the palate. An unforgetable tongue swelling juicyness making me crave more,more,more.
The more you drink the more you want,the most drinkable IPA I've ever had.The standard of IPA's to me. The draft version of this one seems better than the bottled version. This beer will spend a lot of time on my draft system.
A must try IPA!

Try not to give out all 5"s,but I couldn't do it any other way!

This beer pours a clear golden yellow. It boasts a thick, fluffy, off white head with a slight yellow tint to it. It fades slowly, leaving a thick lacing.

This beer has a very pleasent floral hop aroma. I smell some citrusy hops as well. It smells slightly grassy.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Floral, with some citrusy zest. It has a very subtle sweet caramel flavor as well.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down very smooth, leaving a floral aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. The flavor is great, and not aggressive, and it is not too high in alcohol.

Overall: Thanks to Markgugs for generously hooking me up. The last time I had this beer, it was the first IPA that I enjoyed. I can see how it would have started me down the hop road. I love hops now. I rated this beer lower than I know it deserves because of my inexperience. Now I simply love it. My last review will not be deleted though since it was a valid review when I had a different taste.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Full nose of hops, citrus and pine. excellent
Appearance- A dark amber color with a small off-white head.
Taste- A real hop delight, with citrus and pine to match the hops. The hop bitterness is balanced against the malt smoothness.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. great mouthfeel.
Overall - A world class IPA

A- I like how the head sticks to the glass as you drink it.

S- Almost IPA perfection

T- Once again, almost IPA perfection

M- Excellent

D- Very drinkable!

IMO, all other IPA's should be compared to 2 hearted! This is my favorite all time beer!!!

This is the beer that made me love beer. The hoppy aroma draws you into this beer and adds to the slightly bitter taste. This beer is slightly less bitter than most other IPAs and is a great add on to any beer drinkers list. This beer comes strongly recomended.

Bell's Two hearted Ale is one of the most delicious beer's I have ever tasted in my young life. It has a citrus flavor overtone that comes through, however it is not too strong and nicely balanced. The has no bitterness to it and it goes down real smooth. Another plus if you're a hop head like myself is that the beer is pretty darn hoppy.

In conclusion Two Hearted Ale definitely warrants a 5 rating, and if you see this beer at your local beer/party store pick this up!!

Btw Bell's I just want to give a big shout out to you guys and whatever you're doing keep it up! And please make similar beers just like Two Hearted Ale.

Beautiful pour with little head due to.such.a soft pour. Good retention. Amazing color. Standard ipa look, slighty cloudy. smells very floral, and citrus. The hops are there strongly in the nose. The mouthfeel is nice. Very drinkable. Not thick yet not thin. Its slick. The hops are there in the taste. Bitter with nice subtle malt undertones that balance perfect. This is a great brew! Cheers!

Warm, glowing, light peach with perfect clarity. Huge, puffy off-white head that fades here and there, leaving huge, cloud-like pillows of foam. Tons of sticky lace. Enormously aromatic nose with a huge blast of floral Centennial hops, with soft pink grapefruit, and hints of orange, peach, and mango. Underneath is a thin foundation of toasted malt and slightly chalky yeast. Flavor is an eruption of hop flavor and velvet hammer-like bitterness. Flowers, pink grapefruit, peaches, oranges, mangos…it’s all there in an incredibly soft and sticky delivery. The malt and yeast manage to stay afloat enough to provide a solid base for the hop explosion happening above. Medium in body, with a soft and round mouthfeel that only gets better with the yeast pour towards the bottom. Finishes dry, firm, and bitter, with a splash of citrus and black pepper. Through my many years of better beer, this is still my favorite expression of the IPA style, and one of only a few beers that I cannot drink only one of. My opening of a bottle of this guarantees a second and third. It’s worth noting that since the new brewery opened in Comstock, this beer’s flavor profile has been much cleaner, with much less sediment.

Absolutely untouchable American IPA. Just perfect.

This bottle has been hanging around for a bit but I decided that I didn't want the great flavor to spoil so I'm drinking it now!

A - Golden copper with a thick frothy soapy head. Thin head remains throughout with some thick heady lacing that hangs around till the finish

S - Awesome! sweet pinous resin with sweet caramelized sugary malts. Some citrus notes

T - Piney resin up front with some solid sweet malty backbone and a hint of citrus in the body. Finishes with a mildly bitter resin flavor that hangs around on the back of the tongue...sooo tasty!

M - Smooth, medium body, wet but a little sticky at the same time. Feels thick towards the finish

D - What an amazing IPA! This has got to be my favorite. It is so well balanced and has everything I would want in an IPA. For the ABV it is super drinkable and so enjoyable to drink. If I could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life this might just be it!

For me persoanlly this is the perfect IPA, There isnt one bad thing to say about it. This may just be my favorite beer of all time.

I love hops and this beer has plenty but its not overpowering, Bells has blended everything in this beer perfectly from hops to alcohol content.

If you like IPA's this is king of the hill.

*note- this is my opinion please dont get mad im not stating this like its a fact just what i think.

A- Orangeish/Red

S- Hops and citrus

T- hops and love

M- to be 7% this is lovely and easy drinking

D- again being 7% alcohol this beer is easy to drink 6 of for me no problems.

This beer isnt cheap or anything, you may pay 10$ or more a six pack but the quality is there.

I wish more people understood that you have to pay for quality with anything in life.

For instance... you guys do realize theres a reason you can get a 24 pack of keystone light for 13$ right??? the answer being the lack of quality

This is my go to beer. One of my top 3 beers. Pours a radiant gold color that has a slight haze. Aroma I'd complex and enticing, a blend of sweetness, maltiness, fruitiness, and hoppiness, none of them overwhelming yet somehow each being strong and distinct. Taste does not disappoint, it is amazingly smooth throughout, making it hard to not down a whole glass quickly. Thick feel on the pallet. Hint of citrus tickles the tongue while the malt opens and promotes Itself. Good down smooth, leaving a mild hint of hops. Always makes you want more.

Flower hop/orange rind beautiful fresh nose. Rose colored with lots of little bubbles and a thick sturdy 2 inch creamy pale head. Sticky white peaks settle to a rich sticky lace on the glass. I love the fragrant smell of this brew. Bitter hop citrus grapefruit taste with a sturdy pale malt backbone. Medium mouth thet coats the tongue and throat with a wonderful hop flower film. The bitterness mellows and leaves the back of the tongue dry. The front of the tongue is left with jellybean sweetness. WOW balenced even on both ends of your tongue. I love this brew... and I think it also loves me... This brew is so rounded it is the only IPA that I have tasted that has truly measured up to the Hopdevil. The citrus flavors evolve in your mouth into a "big daddy" of hop satisfaction.
Seek out this brew and destroy a few for me!

Cheers to inebrius .. I am in major debt to you for sending me this one!!!!!!!

Did I say WOW...

The reigning champ of IPAs brewed east of the Mississippi, Two Hearted never disappoints. Looks and smells as good as it tastes; full-bodied IPA but never too bitter. Interesting floral and citrus notes, but not gimmicky. Pretty much perfect for the style.

My absolute ALL TIME FAVE!! The aroma hits your nose and clings to your palate...and never wants to leave. No other IPA even comes close to this amazing beer!

Amazing smells of grapefruit and piney aromas mixing in with a caramel sweet bready malt.
Slight citrus, blasting with a great grapefruit taste and ending with a piney flavor mixing in so well with the cake and caramel bready malts. It ends with the herbal bitterness that is very crisp and refreshing.

I never thought I'd get this beer but since my family went on vacation in Asheville, North Carolina I was able to try this beer out and wow its definitely worth all the hype. Its like Stone IPA but with a better richer malt bill and the hops mixing in with it to create that deep rich taste.

The pink grapefruit, the herbal piney flavors, the slight citrus all from the centennial hop? Very well brewed beer especially with how amazing the malt bill is with this hop strain. This IPA is one my favorites and I wish I could get this in NJ.

Fantastic beer. The BEST that's somewhat easy to obtain.

Great color. It's beautiful to look at.

Definitely a hoppy beer, but unlike others that tend to be overbearing this one goes just perfectly with the other flavors in the beer.

Floral hoppy scent.

Nice head.

Duvel Tulip
7 days aged

A: Gold in color with an orange hue. Fluffy two finger white head that never completely dissipates. Lots of carbonation from etched glass. Lacing is sticking very well.
S: Hops! Lots of floral, sweet orange, some tropical fruits.
T: Nice crisp bitterness yet well balanced. Taste is similar to smell, citrus(orange and grapefruit), floral. Nice lingering bitterness. Sweetness from the malt.
M: Medium mouth feel not to heavy not to light. Crisp and smooth, dangerously drinkable
O: World class IPA.

This is a mainstay in my fridge. I usually buy by the case outstanding easy drinking IPA. I'm a sucker for lots of citrus in my IPAs and the Centennial Hops do the trick.

Ha! I got it wrong, initially. Those 5L mini-kegs actually qualify as CANs as long as they are unpressurized. It's okay, since I have had Two Hearted Ale in a number of forms, including bottle and cask, also, but now it is truly in a 16-oz. CAN. I scored it at Pinocchio's (@pinbeer) and I am excited to give it a whirl. The graphics are phenomenal and the name is an allusion to a Hemingway story, doubling my interest.

From the CAN: "An Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale with intense hop aroma and malt balance. Well suited for adventurous trips anywhere."; "Unfilterered"; "Best Kept Refrigerated"; "Unpasteurized".

Man, was the Crack! loud! I immediately got an inverted Glug started, allowing the fish plenty of slack on the line to run. The pseudo-cascade quickly settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention in the face of tonight's humidity. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and my old pals Croesus, Mammon and Midas suddenly appeared, clamoring for a taste. Forget it! This is all for me. The nose was big with hops, giving off scents of pine, grapefruit, pineapple and as a previous reviewer mentioned, lilac or lavender in a lightly perfume-y way. As I was typing, the head began to drop, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were immediate and unrelenting on the tongue, but underlain with a sweet maltiness so as not to be overwhelming. Jesus, but this was tasty! The fact that it is now available in a more portable form of CAN really excites me. The finish was semi-dry, with the malt really achieving a good balance with the hops so that they do not become overwhelming. This deserves a place in anyone's cooler, no matter what their destination.

My original, on-tap, review dtd 02 June 2008 with all 5s follows:

A mini-keg counts as "on-tap", does it not? If not, this will either get removed or moved to a more appropriate type.

The pour produced a big, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a great hoppy presence. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite hop bite on the palate. The finish lingered with hops. There was great lacing produced throughout. This is unquestionably one of my favorite American IPAs of all time.

Received in a sampler set and what a surprise. Very hazy color but beautifully so. Nice hop flavor without overpowering the balance, eg Hop Devil is very nicely balanced for a hoppy beer with a bit stronger flavors (one of my favorites), this is less pronounced, so it's even more roundly drinkable without losing its personality. This and Hop Devil are now my go-to IPAs, depending upon if I want a bit more or less kick. If person doesn't really like this as a craft beer, I'm not sure what that person would look for in a craft beer! Nicely brewed!!

This is my favorite beer. My roommates and I live in Chicago, so we have many an opportunity to sample all varieties of delicious brews. This was my first IPA, and so now my taste buds are permanently spoiled. The grapefruit smell is close to the inside of a baseball glove for sheer joyful aroma.

Those against hops, keep away. Those that want to drink a manly beer and then go chop down a tree or something, have a two hearted ale.

P.S. If you're a 'liter'bug like me, read Hemingway's two short stories from which this brew gets its name. They're as stellar as it's beverage namesake.

Simply one of the best IPA's out there today. Perfectly hopped for those of us that don't particularly enjoy the IPA's on the market that are part of what I like to call the "hops for hops sake" fad in today's craft beer world. Bell's Two Hearted doesn't overpower your taste buds with bitterness, but that doesn't mean it is lacking in flavor. Just outstanding!

I know this isn't the best beer out there, by far, but I am just now really getting into craft brews and this is the best I have had so far. This is my favorite beer and it is 5/5 for everything until I can start trying more, which I fully intend to do - until then, this is the bar.

Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape. The taste was great with caramel and malt being the main flavors that I could taste. Overall it was a light and well balanced beer. Would definitely recommend.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.