2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,742 | Reviews: 2,968 | Show All Ratings:
giblet

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i was really looking forward to this beer. this is the first from Bells that i have tried. poured nice with a nice head and carbonation. nice lace on the glass.

smelled pleasant. fruity with nice hop smell. the taste was a let down. not a bad taste but not as full of taste as the smell led me to believe.

this beer is drinkable. i have four of the six left so i will sample again in a few days. i doubt if i will change my review but we shall see.

decent choice but not a top ten IPA for me.

suckem up and movem out.
giblet

07-17-2007 09:33:08 | More by giblet
Domingo

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

One of those IPA's that always comes up in discussions, but I've only recently been able to buy some.
This IPA falls into the reddish amber category. It's actually one of the darkest ones I've encountered to date. The head forms, and it's not too heavy or thick, but the lacing is top notch.
Smells piney, floral, and grapefruity. Interesting. Usually the darker IPA's tend to fall into the pineapple territory, but I'm not getting that.
WOW - this stuff is bitter. Probably one of the most bitter beers I've ever had. Because it doesn't have that booze or malt to keep the hops in check, this one hits you right in the mouth. It needs something else. Very dry finish, but there's a cracker-like flavor that I've picked up in other Bell's beers. That actually keeps this from being an unbalanced bitter mess. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me a bit
By the end of my glass, I could handle a second one. It's not everyday that a beer changes my mind in the middle of drinking it. That cracker finish really saves this one, but it's still a little flawed.
I like this, but it can be a little much if you're not wanting a bitterness assault. However if you are - this one takes the cake.
I plan on revisiting this with a meal to see how it comes into play with different flavors.

(Edit: Future tastings still haven't really won me over to this one. I'm just not a fan)

07-03-2008 14:22:57 | More by Domingo
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Part of a haul the the guy across the road from me brought back from a trip he took. Many thanks to him (Bill) for sharing a few bottles with me.
This looked okay, but honestly, I expected a little bit darker colour. Head was very nice, though, being a white, pillowy, froth that stuck around for a good 4 minutes. Perhaps longer. It could be a shade or two darker, but head retention was unmatched!
Smell was freshly sawn pine timber. Period. Lots of hops in the nose. Maybe a modest measure of grapefruit rind, but I got mostly pine resin. Nice, if it is a hop explosion that you seek. Hop flavour is actually much more modest than I was anticipating up front, then becoming a bit more assertive in the middle, with a nice, even if a little muted, malt character showing itself a few seconds after you swallow. Somewhat balanced, I suppose. A good beer that I am very glad I finally got the opportunity to try.

08-22-2008 23:38:36 | More by SilentSabre
mikey711

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a pint glass. It's a nice transparent golden hue, some carbonation but only about a finger.

Lots of hop aroma, mainly pine notes, very fresh and clean.

Definately heavy on the pine in terms of taste. There is a very nice hint of sweetness in the end. The taste doesnt linger too long which is good but the mouthfeel is a little light. It's pretty easy to drink because of the light body and the hops are not too over powering.

This is a very good, near sessionable beer. It is very nicely balanced and straight forward in terms of taste.

06-30-2009 21:32:38 | More by mikey711
bonk0076

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep, clear, golden color with an ambitious white head that leaves behing a sticky lacing. Aroma is dominated by citrus (lemon and orange notes) as well as pine, with a slight caramel aroma underneath it. Taste features a prominent hop bitterness to begin, but is balanced a slight caramel sweetness and a short finish. In all honesty, it seemed a bit watery, and the short finish, which makes it drinkable, undermines it.

12-11-2009 20:49:52 | More by bonk0076
rebel1771

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy amber color with a fluffy white head that rings the glass in a nice lace.

S: Tons of pine in the aroma along with a strong citrus blast with maybe just a hint of candied fruit.

T: Powerful grapefruit flavor up front that fades slightly to a just barely there pine note. Soapy mouthfeel.

D: Not my favorite American IPA but pretty tasty none the less.

01-28-2010 22:55:20 | More by rebel1771
emmasdad

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a beautiful hazy dark golden color, capped off with a rocky white head. Looks beautiful in the Bell's tulip; very inviting. Mildly hoppy aroma, some apricot, orange. Taking the first drink I notice a bit of hoppiness, some citrus, and a bit of malt. Dangerously drinkable at 7%, not up to the level of the some of the West Coast hop bombs.

03-28-2010 23:26:10 | More by emmasdad
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

pours a cloudy apricot color, an inch worth of froth which seems to sick around more or less.

massive citrus qualities in the smell, quite floral and fragrant.

citrusy in the taste as in the smell, more hops than malt, but some of the flavors seem a bit restrained.

medium bodied and smooth, high carbonation.

Very drinkable beer and a solid IPA, though I don't really feel it lives up to the hype.

06-09-2010 05:57:41 | More by wolfinthemirror
GarrettMD

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

A - SLightly hazy yellow with a nice orange hue. Lot of bubbles rising up, frothy 2 finger head that stays around forever. Leaves a nice layer of lacing on the edge of the glass.

S - Lots of sweet malts and citrus hops on the aroma. Mostly malt up front with the sweet citrus hops coming in next. Very well balanced aroma. Definitely some floral hops in there too.

T - Taste follows with the aroma. Mostly a malt backbone with hops being secondary in the flavor. Sweet caramel flavors with a nice balance of lemon and even a hint of blueberries.

M - Sticky sweet mouthfeel with very nice carbonation. Finish is a nice balance of sweet and bitter from the hops with a piney aftertaste mixed with oranges.

O - Very good IPA. I am having this a little late I think. I held on to it for a little too long so this should probably get better scores from me, but for now it will stay as is.

09-13-2011 00:13:44 | More by GarrettMD
ms11781

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to tedwarhc. Bottled on 04/20/2011. Reviewed on 06/01/2011. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a fluffy, 1 and a half finger off-white head. Head doesn't reduce by much. Literally stays at about a finger for the duration. Nice, foamy lacing clings to the glass.

Nicely balanced nose. Some grapefruit and citrusy hops are here but neither is too strong. Maybe some slight piny hops but they are faint too. A caramel sweetness rounds it out nicely.

Taste follows extremely closely with the nose but is a bit stronger. Plenty of hops but not overdone. Great citrus and slight grapefruit notes mix nicely with some caramel malt sweetness. There is a lemon-like bite, but only at times, towards the moderately bitter finish.

Very crisp with a lighter body and higher carbonation. Leads to a lighter mouthfeel. Moderately bitter with an extremely dry finish.

Overall, a nice IPA. It's a nicely balanced with crisp, clean flavors. I'd love to get a fresher bottle to try.

11-12-2011 05:12:22 | More by ms11781
JohnnyJam

Arizona

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a brown bottle with a born-on date on the back lable into a pint glass and got a 1 finger off-white head.

A: Pours a golden, slightly orange color. There is a 1 finger head and lotds of sticky lace.

S: I'm not getting a big smell but there is grapefruit and a slight floral scent.

T: Taste follows smell: grapefruit and something else. I can't put my finger on it, though. I'm not even sure whether I like it or not.

M: Nice. It goes down good. It has a crisp feel to it.

O: It's a nice beer but it is not my favorite. I might like to try it on tap.

11-02-2012 17:51:29 | More by JohnnyJam
mitch3114

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured bottle into pint glass

A- appearance was quite average. It's another IPA. This one was on the lighter side of the IPA color spectrum. A nice golden color.

S- A light floral note to the hops with some slight pine. The hops seem a little bitter on the nose. Some brown sugar sweetness. Some vapors that give me a hint that there is some alcohol in this one.

T- Some sweetness, some bitterness. The hops are very prominent and a little bitter but not too overpowering. Definitely getting some alcohol with this one. It tastes strong for an IPA. But, it is 7% ABV so it is strong. Any stronger and it would be a DIPA. In addition to the alcohol, some sugar on the finish. Not very complex as I am really only getting that bitter hop taste. Although it seems a bit one dimensional, it's satisfying.

M- This beer has some body to it. I wouldn't quite go as far as saying it's full bodied, but it is close. It's definitely drinkable. Carbonation is a bit low, perhaps because of the higher ABV?

O- Overall, this is a solid offering in the IPA style. It's fairly priced and it's finally available in my area in upstate New York. Before two weeks ago, I have never seen this beer before. I know this beer has been rated more times than any other IPA on this site, but honestly I don't see why. The American IPA is the top dog on the craft beer scene. Every brewery makes an IPA. Some make several. There are many many IPA's to choose from out there. Thousands. What makes this beer stand out from the others? I think it tastes pretty above average, but like I said, it's one dimensional. There's not a lot of depth. It is good. I could place it in my top ten IPA's, but it definitely wont fall in my top five. To me this doesnt live up to the hype.

10-23-2013 22:46:25 | More by mitch3114
PAhopHead717

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps my two month old bottle lost a bit of its hop flavor but this was way less hoppy than i was expecting from the reviews. Imo this is a very balanced beer. Not on the hoppy side one bit. With that said, its still a tasty easy drinking beer. Unfiltered so keep that in mind. Id drink it again. Hopefully on tap and fresh.

11-30-2013 02:41:57 | More by PAhopHead717
watermelon

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Date says bottled on 11/20/13

A: Orangey cloudy color white head with lots of lacing decent retention.

S: Strong scent of carmel malts and some citrus flavors.

T: Lots of malt, not a lot of hops. SOme citrus and grapefruit flavors

M: Sweet sticky mouthfeel goes down easy.

O: I've had this out of the bottle once and it was really good. This is my first review of it and I was very unimpressed. Its not bad, but it isn't the world class IPA I had anticipated. My bottle is two months old, but I wouldn't think that this would degrade that quickly. I will be reviewing this when I find some fresh.

01-16-2014 06:12:00 | More by watermelon
SplitsAtoms

Georgia

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%

This thing is greater than the sum of its parts. Well balanced IPA--thats probaly what stands out the most. Good hop presence up front with solid malt behind, with nothing really asserting throughout. Mouth is way too thin and overly carbonated for my taste. Also noted a bit of a sour taste that was not to my pleasure. All that said, its highly drinkable and a good representation of what i would call an introductory IPA for those not ready for or not into the huge flavors available in so many other great renditions. I would enjoy another if given, but would not seek out or purchase again at $10 a sixer locally.

01-26-2014 23:11:05 | More by SplitsAtoms
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

A fairly aggressive pour does produce a big head on this one, but it normally gets a decent-sized head anyway. It sits on top of a cloudy golden colored brew. This is healthy in both head retention and lacing.

The smell is very hoppy and citrusy. Not a big surprise for an IPA. Does smell stronger than the ABV suggests.

The taste is pretty true to the smell. Citrus in front and hoppiness in the end. The taste is good but I can't find more characteristics to it.

A very good mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation is lively but not excessive. The body is smooth and full. Finish is fairly dry.

Although the taste is not spectacular, the beer is good enough for a session and is, fortunately, not too big so you can enjoy a few.

06-14-2004 05:25:31 | More by DPMomutant
jward

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

An impressive looking beer - Tupelo Honey gold with sparkling carbonation and nice lacing. The nose is piney, with an element of lemon rind. The flavor is bursting with bitter hops and strong, tangy citrus notes. A crisp mouthfeel is followed by lingering bitterness as this one goes down.

This beer, while interesting, is one-dimensional, with overpowering hop bitterness from beginning to end. Ultimately, I think that it lacks the balance of some of other highly rated American IPAs like Masala Mama or HopDevil. Interesting, but not an everyday beer for me.

03-03-2005 12:31:53 | More by jward
Nero

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. grabbed a few when I was home visiting.

Appearance: It had a lot of foam and left and nice lace on the sides of the glass. light peach colored and sorta cloudy when poured from the bottle.

Smell: Very floral with some citrus hinted there. Had a very hoppy smell to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Had an average body with a creaminess to it. You can taste the hops in there for sure. I'm not sure of what it tasted like but it had a weird aftertaste to me. Not bad just weird. Dry bitter finish.

In my small town in northern lower MI I had few choices. A lot of Bells, which was nice cause I heard a lot about them. This one was one of the easier to drink beers when I was there. And found myself buying more of these then the other ones.

07-25-2006 16:09:20 | More by Nero
Flyer

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Lately I've gotten away from these more everyday-type craft beers, but after a day of yardwork, this tasted great. Pours the color of a well-polished dooknob with some grapefruity hoppiness. Pillowy head. The flavor is clean, mildly bitter hops over a faint but unmistakable backtatse of Bazooka bubble gum and some lingering grapefruit. Sweet finish, but still clean. A very good example of the style.

05-24-2008 22:06:39 | More by Flyer
DrunkenMaster

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

On tap at Coles. Clear golden amber with a quickly diminishing, nicely laced head. Aroma is floral hops with grapefruit. Moderately bitter with more grapefruit and a nice malt backbone. Good beer to drink while you sit around and play darts all night. Its also a good beer to drink with chicken wings.

07-17-2008 13:23:29 | More by DrunkenMaster
Osiris9588

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a hazy gold color. Aroma of orange citrus, hops, and grain. A stiff white foam cap demonstrates good retention.

Noticeable hops on the tongue, along with sizzling citrus notes, and a lingering, phenolic, bite of plastic.

It, starts out brightly on the palette, but the phenols deaden the tongue on the finish, as it grows a bit soapy.

I've had it on draft many times, which is far superior than the bottled version.

11-04-2008 19:37:01 | More by Osiris9588
COBeerBuff

Kansas

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Batch #9046 was packaged on March 24, 2009, and was reviewed and imbibed on May 13, 2009...

Appearance: Pours a very pretty yellowish-orange with waves of I don't know what. Gorgeous white two finger head that gives the appearance of never going down. Lots and lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Very floral hop aroma. Some notes of citrus though not quite as much as one would think with a Bells IPA. Some astringent alcohol smells as well, but otherwise, pretty darn good.

Taste: Very hoppy. Based on taste alone, I would place this in the range of DIPAs. It is a great hop taste, but it's more overpowering than many American IPAs that I've sampled. The hops strike first, followed by a very sweet lemony zest tinge, and then rounded out more hops and pine flavors.

Mouthfeel: This one feels very heavy. It's crisp and well-carbonated, but it's very sticky as the lacing suggests, and it lingers on your tongue long after your last sip.

Drinkability: This is definitely a sipping American IPA. I can't imagine having more than one or two of these in a sitting. It definitely lives up to some of its hype, but I don't think this is necessarily worth the drive to Missouri and the higher prices for 6-packs.

05-13-2009 23:41:05 | More by COBeerBuff
squaremile

Oregon

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a gold/light orange color, aroma is hops and some sweetness, nothing too special there. The taste is very interesting with a solid balance of piney hop bitterness and sugar cookie sweetness. I notice how sweet this beer is more than anything, which I enjoy, but it does fatigue me after about 20oz. I think this is one of the top 5 east coast style IPAs out there, but compared to the hop blast of the west coast versions, it doesn't hold up. But I do order it every time I am in the midwest.

01-18-2010 22:52:56 | More by squaremile
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a pale orange with thin white head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of hops, but not as much as I'd expect. Quite sweet too, almost like honeydew melon. Taste has some citrus hop bitterness with lots of malt, with some floral hops on the after taste. I wondered if the bottle I got may have been old and missing some of the hop flavours that I expected, but I checked on Bell's website and it says it was bottled on May 4th. Still tastes good though.

05-27-2010 02:43:00 | More by kwjd
MrHungryMonkey

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours slightly hazy copper with nice head. Looks good.

Nose is floraly hoppy, yet fairly restrained for an IPA.

Main characteristics are floral, herbal, & bitter hoppiness. Orange nib, dried herbs (almost oregano), a touch of sweet candy, and an overall tea-like bitterness also notable. Soft malt base. Hop flavor is milder than I would like to see in IPAs, yet certainly pleasant. Tastes pretty good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Batch 10234, no date notable.

04-17-2011 04:24:23 | More by MrHungryMonkey
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.