Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,250 | Hads: 12,845
3.93/5  rDev -8%

I'm just enjoying IPAs more and more these days. Two Hearted Ale is another fine example of Bell's offerings. Rich and complex, with enough alcohol strength that this cannot be session beer. Great foam head and carbonation, nice hop character. Not my favorite IPA, but will definitely purchase this one if I'm back in the Midwest. (330 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Batch 10207, February 9th, 2011 according to the Bell's site.

Poured from the bottle into my Bell's standard pint glass.

Appearance: A semi rough pour produces minimal head which recedes very quickly. It pours a transparent burnt orange color. A nice lacing remains for the remainder of the drink.

Smell: Not too much for the nose on this one. I find a little spiciness followed with some sweetness.

Taste: This is one damn tasty beer! I really like that Centennial hop flavor. From homebrewing I know the smell and taste of the Centennial hop and it is really apparent on the back end of the tongue and lingers around until the flavor leaves the mouth. The hop is really all I notice throughout the drink, when straining to taste more I do get a little of the spiciness, but that is another property of the hop. There is a nice bitterness present.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. This brew has a full mouthfeel for an IPA.

Overall: If it were available to me normally I would likely make it a regular. I did try it side by side with Founders Centennial IPA a few weeks back, I liked Two Hearted better and Founders is a semi regular in my fridge. Seek it out, it did not blow me away but it certainly is a great IPA. (1,220 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

No best before date on bottle.

A: Aggressive pour into a Guinness glass yields huge 4 finger head that sticks around forever. Still a little bit left and I'm almost done the beer. Liquid is cloudy amber color that you'd expect from the style.

S: Excellent floral and citrusy notes from the hops. I could smell this beer as I was pouring it, with my head a good 2 feet from the glass.

T: I'm not a huge IPA fan or a "Hop Head" so I'm trying to review the taste based on the style and I'd say its a good outing here in terms of taste. Very floral and citrusy from beginning to end. Nice dry finish

M: Quite thick feel but not overly sticky. good carbonation

D: As I mentioned, I'm not a hop head so its hard to declare this one very drinkable,.. but I think I could probably have another one and not get too tired of it. (823 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

A : bottle dated 6/02/11. pours a golden honey with a hint of orange. A big sticky white head that looks like it might never go away.

S : A nice and pleasant citrus hop aroma with a bit of orange, grapefruit and a hint of honey flavored malt

T : starts slowly, then the hop bitterness builds. Zesty citrus hops similar to the aroma with a malt background that is unrecognizable. Bready malt holds the hops on the tongue. A bit of a watery finish.

M : easy going, nicely carbonated, and seems to hide the 7% very very well. Finishes nicely with a good hop zest that lingers

Overall a very nice beer that is not overwhelming in any way but still lets the hops shine very very nicely. I can see why it is so well respected. (727 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

On tap poured into pint glass

A: copperish amber, slight head with good retention, lacing rings around the glass

S: nice citrus hop aroma

T: nice ipa flavor. Citrussy hops, slightly piney

M&d: drinkable despite its higher abv. Medium bodied mouthfeel

Cheers!!! (265 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

12 oz -> Weyerbacher tulip. Gift from my buddy Frank in Allentown, PA. Have had this several times before. Always a welcome addition to the fridge.

A - Bright gold, full two finger frothy head. Steady card bubbles. Sticky netted lacing stays through to the end.

S - Light orange and lemon, mild bready yeast, light hop pressense

T - Very hop forward. Carb helps this to feel crisp and clean. Light peppery notes. Malt is not nearly as present as in the nose. Nice bitter hoppy finish.

M - Heavy carb feel, other wise pretty light mouth feel.

D - The ABV is right about where I want most beers. After two you're feeling in just a tad but you can still fully enjoy it. I really like this beer as a solid go to IPA, an excellent representation of the style. I'd buy this as often as I could find it. I wish Bell's was in MD. I can only hope that they will in the future. (875 characters)

Batch 8678

A - Cloudy straw orange body with red tint and two fingers of frothy head

S - Lots of hops, kind of piney, with a little citrus and floral notes

T - Lots of bitter hops with only a little malt profile

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Pretty good IPA. A little more balance and it would do it some good but overall enjoyable. (351 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a light amber color with a tiny white head. The head faded quite fast to leave only a very small amount of lacing.

Smell – The smell is very light and consists of some sweet caramel, bread, lighter fruit smells and a citrus hop smell.

Taste – The taste begins on the drier side and is of a light roasted malt with a decent presence of a an citrus hop bitterness. In the middle it sweetness slightly with some flavors of caramel and light fruit coming to the tongue. These flavors are rather short lived however and fade toward the end, where a more sharp bitter earthy and citrus nature come to the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly above higher than average side in terms of creaminess with a medium level of carbonation. Good for the hop flavors as well as for the more bitter and sharp hop flavors.

Overall – Not much sweetness here but very nice and dry. A flavorful and tasty drier IPA with a nice sharp hop and malty base. (1,020 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

I gave this "classic" a shot at Rye House in Chelsea. Must be fresh since Bell's distributed to New York for the very first time this week. It kind of reminded me of an everyday IPA that is not too over the top with bitterness of the hop.

Poured a hazy goldish orange color with a small head. Decent not great lacing.

The smell was rather subdued. A light floral note with some citrus.

Citrus (orange) and pine but not too much of either (which is a good thing these days when IPA's seem to have hops for hops sake). The malt has a touch of sweetness. The beer had a watery taste to it though.

Medium bodies and a touch dry. The alcohol is well hidden.

Nothing from this beer stood out but it was still rather good. I guess the reputation from this beer left me expecting more. Although I do appreciate the single centennial hop not crushing my palate. (861 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, what do you know. It happens to be my 500th review on BA, and Larry Bell finally broke his promise to never distribute to us up here in the northeast. I've never had this purported American classic before, and it must be fresh (since Bell's appeared here in NYC in the last week or so--actually, I see it's bottled 1/23/14, drinking on 2/12/14). Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance: Free pour yields a frothy, longlasting one inch head that leaves a solid wall of lacing. Pours a clear orange/gold.

Smell: Floral and citrusy, some hard water aroma as well. Restrained but nice. Building orange note.

Taste: Up front, nice and piny like what used to pass for a big IPA (I like). Smoothly transitions into crystal malt sweetness, lightly sugared tropical and citrus fruit flavor, with a decently crisp and dry finish. Bit of a mineral-y undercurrent to everything, also slightly watery, both elements actually serving the beer well. As in the nose, once the orange note takes root, it builds and becomes a prominent (if not the major) flavor.

Pretty straighforward, with outstanding balance and ample complexity. I'm not really blown away by any one element, but everything works great together. Deservedly considered a classic in my opinion. Also, notably well hidden alcohol. There's a bit of heat at the end, but I would believe almost 4% or at most 5%; would never guess 7%.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Smooth crystal malt fullness in the middle with a nice dry finish. A little watery as mentioned above, but it's actually a good thing.

Overall: Great beer. Not necessarily the beer I want to slam, but very very well done.

Sadly, I'm more "understanding why people love it" than I am "loving it." I think it's mainly the crystal malt with the Centennial single hop... I need some real bitter or dank punch to forgive this much noticeable crystal malt in an IPA (and it probably has to have even more alcohol bite; I want my low ABV pale ales bone dry with no crystal). The website mentions Bell's house yeast being a major contributor, and I must say that it's very nice (fruity esters and good attenuation).

All told it's a very good beer, worthy of its reputation. (2,189 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Pours a froth, beautiful bubble durchzogen white head, with a sunny amber, slighty hazy color.

Smells of grass driven orange, coated up by bitter lemon zest. Citrus peel grows stronger, as the beer warms up with unripe, sour kiwi, as well as apricot skin. Still, the maltiness is very strong on the nose, adding a note of earth and rock sugar to the hops.

Has a medium carbonation, exhibiting a refreshing, hop forward beer, with lots of exotic fruits to it, as well a prominent malt backbone.

Begins with sweeter, biscuity malts, revealing toffee infused rye bread, giving the malts a pleasant depth, balancing the well pronounced hops easily. Reveals surprisingly sweet toffee malts, which get joined by far reaching lime juice, which lends the beer a profound, bitter refreshment. The hops get enhanced by dried tangerine peel and apple stones, providing an aggressive dryness, which features a worthy counterpart to the well developed malt backbone, staying on the tongue for a longer while.

Well balanced, easy drinking ipa which isn't convincing only for its hoppy part, but also for its eigenständig malty part, adding to the hops, while balancing them, without cutting them short in any way. Old school ipa, with a straight forward, long lasting hoppiness, providing a great fruiti- and dryness, successfully coated up by the malts. (1,345 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Previously had this for a review on tap, but I thought I'd give it another go out of the bottle.

Appearance- Pours a very nice bright golden out of the bottle with about two fingers of white head sitting on top. Head dies back fairly quickly, but leaves a substantial coating across the top of the beer that remains throughout. Not a whole lot of lacing left however.

Smell- Nose is even better than I remember. Very fruity hops with lots of pineapple and grapefruit. Smells very juicy and not nearly as resiny as I remembered.

Taste- Palate is very solid as well though slightly misleading from the nose I thought. Still a solid punch of fruity hops to start with, again I get mostly pineapple and grapefruit rind with just a touch of piney resin here however. Flavors are a lot more mellow than the nose indicated though with a lot of sweeter/bready malts showing through towards the finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is spot on and nice and creamy for the style. Drinkability is also great and the beer went down very easily.

Overall, very similar to my on tap review. A very good IPA and the only differences it seems were that I found the nose to be much better out of the bottle though the flavor slightly less interesting. Definitely give this one a shot. (1,275 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date reading 08/16/2012, so this beer is about four months old, fairly on the fresh side.

A - Nice orange color, a little on the watery pale side, compared so some IPA's and pale ales, but still a nice color. Absolutely no head on this, which may or may not have been my bad.

S - Hoppy grapefruit scent up front. Little bit of a burnt toasted nut or seed smell which is very distinct. Smells great, almost like it was made in a hay loft or something.

T - Again, very nice grapefruit and citrus notes, followed by that little splash of toasted seed or nut flavor. Definitely some distinctive birdseed kind of taste going on, which I have to say is enjoyable.

M - Nice resinous feel going on, the hops linger around for a minute, also.

Overall, this is a nice American IPA, but probably not my favorite. It is definitely enjoyable, but I think if I had to choose, I would pick Grand Teton's Sweetgrass APA over this beer. However, I will definitely have this again.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale ---4/5 (1,025 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a light amber that was very transparent being totally filtered. The head was slight off white and very froathy! It faded to just a skim on the surface with a consistent, dense ring around the glass. The first smells reminded me of opening a bottle of detergent or soap. It was popping with hints of floral, slight citrus and hop! A very unique smell, for sure. It tasted crisp and fresh and finished clean with just a slight bitterness. 7% abv? I couldn't tell. Well hidden with a robust floral taste. Great beer. Highly enjoyable.

Enjoy! (592 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden yellow with a little haze. Less than a fingers worth of head that settles to a nice ring with good lacing. Like looking little brew.

S: I'm getting a couple things here.... Some floral hops with a strong grapefruit scent.

T: Citrus hops from the get go, but not very bitter, there is some malt here but just enough to balance everything out. There is an underlying grapefruit note throughout. The aftertaste is a little on the hoppy side and a little dry.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, yet smooth. I'd have to call it light to mid bodied.

D: Very nice AIPA, everything you want and balanced nicely to boot. The ABV is right on, but at 7.10% one or 2 will do you. Worth a shoot. (739 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

A- Poured to a 2 fingered head that disapeared fairly fast, leaving some rings with every swallow. Head was orangeish in color. IPA was a hazy yellow in color.
S- Smelled of citrus, pine and sweet flowers.
T- Tasted exactly as it smelled. Strong pine flavor and citrusy hops. Like flowers.
M- Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was just about right. Felt light in the mouth.
D- I could drink these all the time. The taste was unique in its own way. The higher alcohol content might slow you down a little bit. But you dont want to slow down because the flavor is good. (569 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Nice HUGE fluffy head pops out of this beer to settle into a small fluffy covering of the brew. Lots of citrus, and floral rise up out of the glass to start your taste buds a' tingling.

Nice flavor and smooth resin flavors. Nice beer, ever judged by a Pacific North Westerner. Very drinkable and up there with many of the other top notch IPAs from round these parts. (368 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer pours out with a really hazy golden yearly color. The lacing is great with a nice white head. The smell of the beer is very hoppy. The taste of the beer has a nice citrusy lemon lime flavor. There is a nice light to medium body. Overall a damn good IPA all around. (274 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

A translucent straw colored liquid pours from the 12oz bottle into the Dogfish Head pint glass, settling a hazy light orange. There is a lot of white, large bubbled head that adds up to around 3 inches in height. Some bubbly lacing is left behind, grasping to sprawled out parts of the glass.

The scent is fruit-tootie up in here. I notice some apricots paired up with some faint citrus notes, both offered by the hop flowers used to brew this beer. Some sweet malt is picked up through the nose and leads me to believe that the hop presence will be balanced with the sweeter malts.

Sure enough! the bitterness isn't over the top whatsoever and is matched with a pleasant malt presence that creates a total package. However, the fruity hop qualities noticed in the nose aren't prominent at all in the taste. This is a bit of a letdown but I must take into consideration that this isn't a DIPA and isn't maxxed out so to speak.

The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing due to a light bitterness offered by the hops and a tight notch of carbonation that holds it together.

Overall, pretty good but not over the top as far as IPAs go. Good balance throughout for some nice tastes. (1,180 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into my pint glass and quickly built up a massive white head that disappeared after a minute or so. Not crystal clear but damn close. Very hoppy in the nose, very citrusy and piney smelling with an underlying sweet malty smell. Tastes pretty delicious. Tastes very hoppy but not overpowering, citrusy, piney and sort of grassy hop taste with the malts hardly noticed in the background. Nice medium bodied and prickly mouthfeel. A nice beer that's easy to drink (467 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hazy, cloudy color of gold, maybe leaning a bit towards a wet straw color. Decent head formed, a bit of an off-white color, which thinned out to a nice layer across the top that looks like it's gonna hang around a while.

Smell is heavy in the hops, bit of a hint of spice hidden behind there. Moderate thickness to it, smooth and crisp, leading off with a bit of a malt taste, and giving way to the hops. The end is a bit too bitter and dry for my taste.

I think this is a very drinkable beer. Not too heavy, feels pretty good in the mouth, though that dry bitterness at the end may be a bit of a turn-off. (620 characters)

Photo of
3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Very pale for an IPA, almost yellow, with a thin but persistent head. The aroma is pure floral and citrus hops with a touch of fruit. The flavour is all hops as well, more floral and citrus, not resinous or overly bitter, with the slightest hint of caramel malt. No trace of the high ABV is detectable. (302 characters)

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: this is an opaque beer that grades golden to caramel brown from bottom to top. Fluffy cap of white head with staying power, which leaves substantial lacing.

S: aroma is fairly subdued, really. I'm mostly getting light floral hops, with some citrus notes too.

T: hoppy to start - purely floral hops, lavender comes to mind - and a touch of oak. The alcohol is pretty subdued, too.

M: good carbonation and medium body.

This is my go-to beer at one of my favorite bars in town, and it definitely stands up to scrutiny. It might just be my poor sense of smell, but I'd like a bolder aroma. Two Hearted is a perfect, if dangerous, session beer. (685 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

Well my local craft beer store wasn't really too high on this beer. But, I've learned I've got to filter what they say by understanding they are a bunch of hop heads that really like the slam of a high hopped beer. Try getting them to drink a Belgium ;)

Don't get me wrong I like incredibly hoppy beer, but you know I've forgotten how nice a well balanced IPA can be. I don't drink fast but I looked down and glass was empty.

Like I said very well balanced. Not much head. Smell was perhaps a little lacking. But a very pleasing beer. I'm glad I bought a six pack. For my hophead friends I'll do penance later with a Double Dog. (630 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

this ale pours a cloudy bronze with a nice 2" head. sadly the head fell fast. a thin lace decorates the glass sparsley. smell is awesome. heavy hops and floral notes are the most prevailent witha more subdued grapefruit in the back. taste is good. though not as good as i had expected given the high numbers. hops are jumbled with a heavy floral front and back and slight peppery taste resides. citrus notes but not overly so. bitter aftertaste. mouthfeel is good with decent carbonation. lighter and less syrupy than a lot in the style. drinkabilty is good. the second tasted better than the first. overall not as mind-blowing as had been led to think but, still a decent ipa. (677 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.