1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,691 | Reviews: 2,961 | Show All Ratings:
WwRGSwW

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Icetraxx for this beer. Pours a light orange color, with a hoppy aroma, not too sweet and nothing really grabs me. Good taste, the hops are balanced out by a sweet taste that I did not smell. Im not the largest fan of IPA's but it was not bad by any means.

02-12-2010 21:36:14 | More by WwRGSwW
Kylito87

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

I have heard nothing but good about this beer but never really got up the courage or will power to drop the hefty price tag to try it until now. I saw it at Arista foods and I couldn't pass it up this time. Heres we goes.

Appearance- That typical of the style burnt orangey yellow color. Pours a prominant head that falls down into a foamy white cap which is also normal. Spotty lacing through out my Boulevard pint glass.

Smell- Hop heaven! I have never smelled a IPA quite like this. You immediately get those centenials right in your face along with this wonderful citrusy floral character which is an like sex for your sense of smell. It does also have a nice sweet malty character in behind the wall of hops!

Taste- It is quite unique you get that Nice sharp hop snap but in the finish is this nice sweet malt. This beer is a nicely crafted offering of the IPA style. It has a great Hop bite without killing your taste buds due to the fact that it has that caramelly sweetness to reset your pallete in between sips (sips not gulps!!!)

Mouthfeel- Perfect balance of carbonation and body. You get that nice slick IPA feel which is always good. This beer is probably in my top five IPA list. The carbonation is spot on for the style. I have a problem with certain IPAs that are far to carbonated which take away from the enjoyability of the brew.

Drinkability- Well I couldn't drink more than a few before needing a break from the hoppiness but I am sure I could toss back a sixer within a day. This is a great IPA that should be drank accordingly. Pour it and sip it taking in all the wonderful complexities of it and allow it to warm up as you drink it to see how it unravels this tapestry of flavor on your pallete. Bottom line are there better IPAs yeah but this one rises to the occasion. I am kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

06-06-2010 00:27:15 | More by Kylito87
blittle

South Carolina

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Nice consistent head with moderate lacing on the glass with light amber color
S - Above average for an American IPA. An even balance of floral and citrus competing with a pine aroma.
T - Just the right amount of bitterness you would expect from an IPA, but beyond that, not that exciting.
M - The perfect amount of carbonation
D - Very drinkable. Easy to continue on with the second and third.

Having tasted a number of American IPAs, this one does not rank among my favorites. Disappointing relative to the strong reviews this beer has received.

10-24-2010 20:56:24 | More by blittle
ElGeordie

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Pint from the Capital Ale house.
Looks good: dark yellow with thinnish head.
Plenty of hoppy, citrussy aroma.
Nice and hoppy on the palate but fairly one dimensional - no malt notes to speak of.
Typical American IPA.
Refreshing but I don't think I could drink it all night.

10-25-2010 18:25:07 | More by ElGeordie
hopstradamus

Kansas

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A. Pours a bright, golden color with a luminous haze that fades as it sits. A fluffy, pale-white head of tiny bubbles floats atop the beer and slowly fades as it clings to the glass.

S. It smells sweet and bready but that quickly disappears as it is overcome by a sharp citrus and pine hop aroma.

T. The taste is exceedingly sharp hops fighting to overwhelm the sweet, biscuitty malt character. The overriding quality of this beer is the sharpness of the hop bite.

M. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation, it is neither chewy, or smooth as it is amazingly dry.

D. A decent beer, but not an everyday go-to. it is interesting, but not compelling.

12-27-2010 19:04:43 | More by hopstradamus
PDXHops

South Carolina

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler poured into a Duvel tulip. Glowing hazy orange body with a couple of fingers of creamy head. Decent retention with a good amount of streaky lacing.

Quite a floral nose, with some honeyish sweetness and citric notes. Tastes a little sweeter than advertised, with hints of vanilla custard at times. More non-citrus fruitiness- apples and white grapes- than I recall noticing before. Of course, there's a fair amount of juicy citrus as well. Not as much pine flavor or bitterness as I recall (probably need to retry the bottled version). A touch boozy. Moderate bitterness.

Overall impression: Perhaps there's batch variation, but this didn't seem to have the same "pop" I remember from having it on tap. Still, a very nice fruity IPA that's easily recommended.

Serving type: growler

01-31-2011 19:47:32 | More by PDXHops
Kshock

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

A- Deep golden color with a brown hue around the edges. decent head retention.

S- Light hop aroma, mostly malt sweetness on the nose, but its balanced.

T- Decent hop character with some resinous flavors. Strong malt backbone breaks through on the back end.

M- med body with light carb, finishes very clean.

O- Good IPA but not the best ive ever had.

09-25-2011 00:26:43 | More by Kshock
ThickNStout

Georgia

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottled 11/17/11.

Pours a deep golden amber with 3 fingers near white head. Good lacing.

Smells of pine & citris hops

The taste follows nose. An initial bitterness then pleasant sweet hops.

Light, mildly resinous body. Faint carbonation.

Not my favorite IPA but it's well done.

01-30-2012 06:20:17 | More by ThickNStout
mikeg67

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with a long lasting white head. Aroma is of citrusy hops, biscuit malt and hints of caramel. Body is full and crisp. Some citrusy hops, biscuit malt and fruity notes fill the mouth. Long, grapefruity finish. It seems to me that the bottle was old.

07-06-2012 21:38:23 | More by mikeg67
masterbruewer

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Poured a cloudy golden orange color with thick white head that stayed a while. Good lacing, light carbonation

Smell was piney hops and citrus.

The taste is hoppy, almost pungent at first. Settle into a pleasant mix of pine and citrus hops. No strong after taste. A powerful flavor but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel isn't thick but is "chewy."

Very enjoyable. I'd drink another

03-04-2005 18:08:38 | More by masterbruewer
LeftonJackman

Was poured for me at Bricco in Akron

A: A cloudy apricot color with almost no head to speak of. The lace was reluctant at times, but left it's mark.

S: Conifer, hoppy and a hint of sweet pineapple. Faint, but present.

T: Citrusy with a touch of spice. Strong hops out weigh the citrus a little, leaving me wondering what more of a balance would be like. Good IPA.

M: Nice medium-ish body but a little too bitter on the finish.

D: Good for one beer. I am glad I tried it, but might not be my first choice in ordering again.

11-11-2007 03:47:15 | More by LeftonJackman
DukeofAle

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Another very well made AIPA that for me just is not a standout in anyway. Lacks the strong citrus aroma and taste of some others, such as Racer 5, Bridgeport, Mojo. This beer has no major faults - I just think ther are some better choices in this category.

The color is a light, sienna-orange than most. Decent head and retention. Taste is good but the hops do not come across as well as some. Drinkabilty is good. To me, an AIPA should pack some punch, bring out the citrus- grapefruit charactor of the hops, and be a bit "bigger".

02-27-2008 06:29:25 | More by DukeofAle
NittanyBeerFan

3.5/5  rDev -18%

A: pours an almost standard lightish tone of what you would expect from an IPA. when poured down the middle of the glass it gives a 2 finger head that lingers and laces down the side of the glass.

S: underwhelming smell of hops with undertones of fruit, but predominantly hops.

T: The taste hits you harder with hops that the smell would lead on. Tastes of both piney and citrusy hops that as the beer warms, become more evident.

M: smooth feel with a little bit of carbonation. subsides as the beer gets lower in the glass

D: although I rarely consider IPAs session beers, I could see myself sitting down and drinking a bunch of these. The beer is light enough in texture that you can sit down and really feel this beer.

09-17-2008 02:35:30 | More by NittanyBeerFan
PeprSprYoFace

3.5/5  rDev -18%

I have no idea why this beer is in the top 100. It's a good beer don't get me wrong but I think this beer is not as good as alot of other IPA's out there.

Pours a hazy golden color. I had to pour it pretty hard just to get a head to form and then it went away. No lacing.

Smells of some almost noble hops. A little citrus. And some malt. Not alot of aroma going on and this is a pretty fresh bottle.

Taste is good, but I feel I could name off a whole bunch more IPA's that are better tasting to get the top 100 spot. American hop taste and some decent malt. The thing I think is the reason why it should get a little higher rating is you can't taste the 7% ABV at all. It tastes like a session IPA. But still green flash, stone, 60min, all better than this.

Mouthfeel is good. No complaints

overall it's a good beer so try it if you can but I just dont think it's as good as some others that are not in the top 100.

02-18-2010 02:53:40 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Chico1985

3.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Two 12 ouncers split 3 ways at a tasting. Both bottles were completely different, yet both seemed off, the scores are kind of a mixture from both of them.

Hazy but see through pale orange. Crazy good white head, bubbly and creamy. Retains well and leaves good lacing.

Smell has good scents of very light fruits, but hops are noticeably missing. Lemon, tart apple, citrus and floral notes. 2nd bottle didn't smell much like anything.

Lemon citrus and floral notes in the taste, some warm biscuit malt, once again not much hops. 2nd bottle tasted very strange, metallic and slightly sour, possibly infected.

Mouthfeel was very thin, low carbonation. Cam and Dan, who brought these, have had it before and said the first was probably not fresh enough and the 2nd was just off. I'd still like to give this beer another chance.

09-06-2010 14:07:50 | More by Chico1985
BeerAmbassador

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Beer pours a hazy golden orange with a decent sized head and a bit of lacing. Aroma is non-descript citrus a little pine and an estery fruit aroma that I can't really identify. Seemed very sweet up front but then the hops really kicked in on the back end that allowed me to come back for more. Overall a pretty good IPA that I wouldn't hesitate to have again, but there are many others I would go to first.

06-01-2011 01:25:22 | More by BeerAmbassador
JRed

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Transparent golden body with fading white head that clings to the side of the glass. Aroma of grass, lemon rind, booze, citrus. Tastes of grass, vague pineapple, citrus with rind, lemon, bitterness comes in towards the middle and finishes warm with booze. A complex melting pot of juicy hops. Medium bodied with a cloying mouthfeel. This beer has a cult following and deserves respect for that but it falls short of a lot of IPA's.

07-29-2011 01:54:08 | More by JRed
srv33

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Light brown pour, good lacing. Scent of malt and wheat. Well balanced, taste is similar to scent though nothing really stuck out to me - could have been an old keg or dirty lines. Nothing too striking, I was disappointed considering all the great things I had heard about this brew. Though this might just prove I'm not a huge pale ale fan. EIther way, I despite feeling pretty neutral about this brew, I'd be willing to give it another shot in the future.

EDIT: Tried it again today, in a bottle, and had a more pleasant experience. Color was oddly lighter than it was when drank on tap previously. Stronger scent of pine, and the taste was more hoppy and just overall tasted more full and balanced than my previous experience with it on tap. Notes of grapefruit and pine were much more apparent.

06-29-2012 22:43:46 | More by srv33
Fergyx825

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: A very orange yet amber color, head was abundant on the pour but dissipated quickly. There are some bubbles that remain on the surface of the beer. This seems to fit the description of an American IPA.

Smell: A lot of hops and malt is first smelled. I don't so much smell any citrus but that doesn't really phase me. It smells flavorful and delicious. I am excited to taste this.

Taste: There are a lot of flavors in the taste, but they change very quickly. At the end of the sip, i can taste a citrus flavor which is sort of enlightening. I really enjoy the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer isn't very thick and it has a middle of the ground carbonation. It makes it drinkable. But it does really say much to me. Its just sort of middle ground.

Overall: I had this beer recommended to me from a few girls from Michigan. I am not disappointed nor am i impressed. This is definitely a good American IPA, but feel like there is more to give.

09-06-2013 03:39:44 | More by Fergyx825
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa.

09-21-2005 19:28:05 | More by DaPeculierDane
thebarnesbomb

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from 12oz. bottle to pint glass with one inch head.

A- Color of honey, I was expecting a darker amber hue, but this looks pretty good too.

S- The hops are exceptionally apparent, with very little else pulling through. Almost musty smelling. But again, very hoppy.

T- As is expected from an IPA, and at $9 a six-pack, the crisp quality resounds. The bitterness of a mulitude of hops lingers in the long aftertaste. Some faint taste of orange rind is also present with the aftertaste. Some creaminess as well as it goes down. It almost tastes like a wheat ale?

M- Some body to it, just right, what I expected in this brew. No watery presence at all, but a little body for you to work with.

D- Fair, I think the problem was my expectations were a bit high upon receiving this brew. Unfortunately for me, there is a bit of a wheat ale taste to it, which for me is a huge turn off. This is mostly taken over by the hops, which are abounding in this drink. Would come highly suggested for hop loving drinkers that don't mind a little hint of wheat.

03-04-2006 04:07:19 | More by thebarnesbomb
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle split with a friend. The color was a light orange-yellow with a fluffy white head. The smell was oddly sweet. The taste reminded me of candy and nothing else. Grape candy to be specific. Maybe I will try this again but I was not too impressed.

04-04-2007 15:46:46 | More by ArrogantB
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

12oz into tulip.

A- Attractive pour, beer is a clear golden amber with a nice 3-finger head that laces and has great formation and staying power.

S- Pale malt, mild pine and floral hops (simcoe?). Not terribly hoppy, but what's there is nice.

T- Significantly hoppy, my fears are unwarranted. Pine, resin, tree sap, bitter grapefruit rind, little to no malt. Sugary sweetness comes through, along with a bit of floral sweetness (like hibiscus)at times. Hmm. Interesting hop profile. Perhaps a bit too sweet for my tastes.

M- Good carbonation, hops are a bit acidic but that's OK, pretty good all the way around.

D- Fairly high, I enjoyed it. If it was in my distribution circle I'd get a 6er every once in a while. Not as 'wowed' as I thought I might be, still a pretty good beer.

01-17-2010 23:46:50 | More by ShogoKawada
phishgator

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

I had this from a 5L keg. It poured unfiltered orange with a big foamy head that clung to the glass the entire time. The aroma was a sweet grapefruit and roses. The taste is were I was a little lost. The sweetness of malt jumped upfront and then the bitterness was there, but not as pronounced. The hop oils coated your mouth from start to finish. The body was big and filling. I like it better from a bottle, IMO.

01-25-2010 17:01:06 | More by phishgator
rmalinowski4

Batch Number 10276

Pours a clear golden straw color with 3 finger fluffy white head. The head drops quickly leaving some lacing and a small crown on the beer.

Smells slightly of citrus hops with a light malt backbone. The smell is light and not overpowering.

Taste starts with hop bitterness followed by a clean light malt backbone with citrus notes. the cutrus is grapefruit with some orange and tropical undertones. The finish is slightly dry and bitter.

The mouthfeel is lively with moderate carbonation and a crisp and dry finish.

Overall this is a good summer beer. It is light, crisp, and dry on the finish. A good thirst quencher on a hot day. Where this beer falls a little short for me is in the hop profile. It is a little too bitter and I would like a little more citrus to come through.

04-20-2011 00:42:16 | More by rmalinowski4
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.