Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,250 | Hads: 12,840
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing. (1,231 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance is light copper with two healthy fingers of head. There is some retention of the head throughout and it leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is quite pleasant - fresh citrus and hops are very noticeable. The flavor is lemony with a hop presence, but the body is too subtle for an IPA. This beer is enjoyable because it is complex, but it lacks the body I like in an IPA. It is certainly worth a try, but its reputation is quite inflated if you ask me. (470 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a beautiful hazy dark golden color, capped off with a rocky white head. Looks beautiful in the Bell's tulip; very inviting. Mildly hoppy aroma, some apricot, orange. Taking the first drink I notice a bit of hoppiness, some citrus, and a bit of malt. Dangerously drinkable at 7%, not up to the level of the some of the West Coast hop bombs. (345 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Haven't had this brew in a while. Picked up from a recent trip to Ohio. Poured from bottle into pint glass. Straw color, very clear. Nice head with great lacing.

Nose is a bit plain; not much going on. A whiff of straw?

Not as asserive with the hops as I remember. Good hop bitterness, but nothing crazy. Maybe all the other BIG IPAs have spoiled (?) me, but this one is kind of underwhelming. (395 characters)

Two hearted
L: straw yellow with a one finger white head
S: citrus and pine
T: hoppy resin balanced by sweet malts, some orange and finally a lingering bitterness
M: crisp and light
O: tasty and balanced (204 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Nice rich golden color with a meringue sized head.
Smell: Nice floral estery aroma. Very rich.
Taste: Very strong hop flavor coupled with a hint of yeast. Very crisp and clean, but not too overpowering.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light but keeps a very strong flavor. Light carbonation but hard to drink a lot of different beers after this. (358 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Date says bottled on 11/20/13

A: Orangey cloudy color white head with lots of lacing decent retention.

S: Strong scent of carmel malts and some citrus flavors.

T: Lots of malt, not a lot of hops. SOme citrus and grapefruit flavors

M: Sweet sticky mouthfeel goes down easy.

O: I've had this out of the bottle once and it was really good. This is my first review of it and I was very unimpressed. Its not bad, but it isn't the world class IPA I had anticipated. My bottle is two months old, but I wouldn't think that this would degrade that quickly. I will be reviewing this when I find some fresh. (642 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden, hazy light brown, copper color with a decent sized head--around 1 inch

Smell: Citrus, earthy, pine, slight hops, even light hints of fruit

Taste: Dry, slight hop's, bitter, lost some of the citrus/fruit smells

Mouthfeel: Dry, crisp, light to medium body carbonation, very easy going for 7% ABV

Overall: a great option for a America IPA, bitter but not overwhelming, with complex undertones (413 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

A - SLightly hazy yellow with a nice orange hue. Lot of bubbles rising up, frothy 2 finger head that stays around forever. Leaves a nice layer of lacing on the edge of the glass.

S - Lots of sweet malts and citrus hops on the aroma. Mostly malt up front with the sweet citrus hops coming in next. Very well balanced aroma. Definitely some floral hops in there too.

T - Taste follows with the aroma. Mostly a malt backbone with hops being secondary in the flavor. Sweet caramel flavors with a nice balance of lemon and even a hint of blueberries.

M - Sticky sweet mouthfeel with very nice carbonation. Finish is a nice balance of sweet and bitter from the hops with a piney aftertaste mixed with oranges.

O - Very good IPA. I am having this a little late I think. I held on to it for a little too long so this should probably get better scores from me, but for now it will stay as is. (887 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a hazy gold color. Aroma of orange citrus, hops, and grain. A stiff white foam cap demonstrates good retention.

Noticeable hops on the tongue, along with sizzling citrus notes, and a lingering, phenolic, bite of plastic.

It, starts out brightly on the palette, but the phenols deaden the tongue on the finish, as it grows a bit soapy.

I've had it on draft many times, which is far superior than the bottled version. (425 characters)

Reviewed from notes from 12/30/08:

Beer poured into a pint glass. As I am used to West Coast IPA's, I immediately notice the color. It is much more orange than copper. It is much lighter than a Racer 5 or certainly Green Flash. It just doesn't look as full bodied as some of the other IPA's I have tried.

I find nothing noteworthy in the nose. A slight piney bitterness from the hops and the alcohol, but nothing much else going on here.

Taste is good. There is good balance between the malt and the hops. However, I prefer my IPAs a bit more hoppy. Conversely, the lack of overpowering hop bitterness makes this a VERY drinkable beer. It is crisp and refreshing and I could down numerous in a sitting.

In summary, this would be a solid session beer, but not a beer I would consider memorable in any way. I am sure I am biased, but I believe the CA IPA's (Racer, Green Flash and certainly Pliny) compare very favorably to the Two Hearted. (944 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Super hazy orange hue with an off-white head.

Aroma: Orange, citrus, caramel malt.

Taste: Big malt bomb but with enough hop assertiveness to stay within the style. The hop flavor is a mix of watery orange, a hint of grapefruit, and pine. It imparts a moderate bitterness upfront that fades to a slow burn in the aftertaste. Very palatable. Dry finish. It is as robust as the 7% ABV suggests.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with above average carbonation. Easy drinkability but not quite a 'juicy' IPA.

Final Thoughts: I've had this one before and it's never blown me away like its collective rating would suggest. It's simply a good American IPA. Would I drink it again? Only if it's the only IPA option. (714 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to tedwarhc. Bottled on 04/20/2011. Reviewed on 06/01/2011. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a fluffy, 1 and a half finger off-white head. Head doesn't reduce by much. Literally stays at about a finger for the duration. Nice, foamy lacing clings to the glass.

Nicely balanced nose. Some grapefruit and citrusy hops are here but neither is too strong. Maybe some slight piny hops but they are faint too. A caramel sweetness rounds it out nicely.

Taste follows extremely closely with the nose but is a bit stronger. Plenty of hops but not overdone. Great citrus and slight grapefruit notes mix nicely with some caramel malt sweetness. There is a lemon-like bite, but only at times, towards the moderately bitter finish.

Very crisp with a lighter body and higher carbonation. Leads to a lighter mouthfeel. Moderately bitter with an extremely dry finish.

Overall, a nice IPA. It's a nicely balanced with crisp, clean flavors. I'd love to get a fresher bottle to try. (1,013 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a clear yellow with a white head.

S. Mild Hoppiness.

T. Fairly mild hop bitterness (especially considering that this beer was no more than 1 week off of the bottling line).

M. Thin body with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D. Good, but not terribly interesting.

I've had this many times at the bar and at home and loved it. I'll still buy this fairly regularly, but it didn't really hold up very well in a blinded IPA tasting. (482 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

An impressive looking beer - Tupelo Honey gold with sparkling carbonation and nice lacing. The nose is piney, with an element of lemon rind. The flavor is bursting with bitter hops and strong, tangy citrus notes. A crisp mouthfeel is followed by lingering bitterness as this one goes down.

This beer, while interesting, is one-dimensional, with overpowering hop bitterness from beginning to end. Ultimately, I think that it lacks the balance of some of other highly rated American IPAs like Masala Mama or HopDevil. Interesting, but not an everyday beer for me. (564 characters)

Bottled on 9/25, much thanks to Hopeswimmer for the bottle

Appearance: Golden/amber with a diesel, shaving cream-like two finger head that sticks around.

Smell: Hops, hops, hops! Wow! Fruity as hell!! Sweet mango and pineapple with citrus notes. Call me crazy, but I'm also picking up lemons soaked in sugar smell, like when I used to rip shots of Absolute Citron in high school and eat the lemon rolled in sugar after.

Taste: Good balance between malt and hops. The beginning is citrusy, then fades into a bitter finish with some malt to balance it out. To me, this is like a blend of West and East coast IPAs, which makes sense, since it comes from Michigan. It has the really floral bite early, then the bitter hop finish that the West coast style leans to, yet it has more malt than a beer like Pliny The Elder.

Mouthfeel: Not as much carbonation as I expected. Wouldn't say this is exactly a letdown, just think it would make this more drinkable, a la Pliny. The carbonation in that beer is just nuts.

Overall: Maybe I shouldn't have smelled or looked at this beer before I drank it, because those are the two things about this that impressed me most. This is a well balanced beer that is surely drinkable, yet I feel the end's lingering bitterness may throw off some East coast IPA guys. I was expecting the taste to match the smell and although that wasn't the case, this is still a good beer. (1,407 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a pale orange with thin white head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of hops, but not as much as I'd expect. Quite sweet too, almost like honeydew melon. Taste has some citrus hop bitterness with lots of malt, with some floral hops on the after taste. I wondered if the bottle I got may have been old and missing some of the hop flavours that I expected, but I checked on Bell's website and it says it was bottled on May 4th. Still tastes good though. (458 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Never seen this beer before and found it at a convenient store, of all places. Poured a 12 oz. bottle into Chimay chalice.

A: Hazy amber/orange with a one finger white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Smell is citrus-y hops...smells very sweet.

T: Damn. That's really good. There's an interesting sweet/hop oil taste immediately, followed by the grapefruit/pineapple and a bit of pine needle taste on the way out. There's a nice malt base that supports the beer. This is really complex. I don't know what varieties of hops they used in this one, but they give the beer a unique, interesting taste.

M: Crisp, medium body with medium carbonation.

O: Yum. I like the taste of this one a lot. Everything else is meh, but the taste keeps it interesting. (749 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. grabbed a few when I was home visiting.

Appearance: It had a lot of foam and left and nice lace on the sides of the glass. light peach colored and sorta cloudy when poured from the bottle.

Smell: Very floral with some citrus hinted there. Had a very hoppy smell to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Had an average body with a creaminess to it. You can taste the hops in there for sure. I'm not sure of what it tasted like but it had a weird aftertaste to me. Not bad just weird. Dry bitter finish.

In my small town in northern lower MI I had few choices. A lot of Bells, which was nice cause I heard a lot about them. This one was one of the easier to drink beers when I was there. And found myself buying more of these then the other ones. (796 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%

Moderate pour into a goblet produces a finger's width of coarse white head which fades to a thin collar and small island of foam within a minute or two. The beer is clear, slightly effervescent and a golden color tinged with orange.

Picking through the hoppy aroma, I find hints of lemon and orange, a bit of unidentified evergreen (pine, spruce?). There are no hints of malty counterbalance.

Hops... and not much else. As the beer hits the front of the tongue, there is no residual sweetness to balance the hops. This is a rather dry offering. As the beer moves toward the back of the tongue and throat, the bitterness shows up as a pleasant tingling. Aftertaste is dominated by floral hoppy notes.

The elevated hoppyness of this beer leads to a clean mouthfeel. This beer leaves less of a "hoppy scuz" on the tongue than some IPAs I've tried. I feel like I could still taste nuances in another non-IPA after this beer.

This is a smooth drinking beer, too high in alcohol to be a session beer, but not remarkable enough to spend an entire evening investigating its nuances.

Above average, a solid IPA, but not the earth-shattering experience some make it out to be. (1,171 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a hefe glass. Sue me.

Appearance: Deep gold and clear, with an inch of off-white head. Weblike lacing rings all the way down the glass. Lovely.

Smell: Both pine and citrus hope, with neither side truly gaining the upper hand. The grapefruit is particularly good, giving me something that is more mouthwatering than pine. I'm not getting much malt, except for a vague sweetness somewhere.

Taste: A delightful citric hop that is softer than you would expect for such well-known IPA.

Mouthfeel: A dry and crisp experience, pleasant without becoming astringent.

Overall: An IPA that is very easy to like. The hops are noticeable, but not assertive, placing it in another category from the unpalatable hop bombs that are in vogue. Lacks the malt I've been searching for, but is a complex beer nonetheless. Well recommended, and possibly my new favorite IPA. (890 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blue Ridge Grill (Broadlands, VA) - draft in pint glass
A - Golden copper, 1/2 inch foamy/creamy head that lasted to the end; great lacing
S - not too muuch here, distant fruit
T - Strong, but not overpowering hop, mild bitter, secondary fruit and orange citrus
F - Nice body and just the right level of carbonation
O - Not an IPA fan, or at least I haven't been, but they are slowly growing on me; bottom line is that I liked this beer, easy to drink, healthy flavors, good balance, moderate complexity (503 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours up clear honey golden color. Nice white head with decent lacing. Nose is honey, pale malts, citrus hops. Taste is the same, not very bitter. I coulda sworn this beer was a little tastier back in the day. Still good sessional brew tho. Medium body and med carbo (266 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured bottle into pint glass

A- appearance was quite average. It's another IPA. This one was on the lighter side of the IPA color spectrum. A nice golden color.

S- A light floral note to the hops with some slight pine. The hops seem a little bitter on the nose. Some brown sugar sweetness. Some vapors that give me a hint that there is some alcohol in this one.

T- Some sweetness, some bitterness. The hops are very prominent and a little bitter but not too overpowering. Definitely getting some alcohol with this one. It tastes strong for an IPA. But, it is 7% ABV so it is strong. Any stronger and it would be a DIPA. In addition to the alcohol, some sugar on the finish. Not very complex as I am really only getting that bitter hop taste. Although it seems a bit one dimensional, it's satisfying.

M- This beer has some body to it. I wouldn't quite go as far as saying it's full bodied, but it is close. It's definitely drinkable. Carbonation is a bit low, perhaps because of the higher ABV?

O- Overall, this is a solid offering in the IPA style. It's fairly priced and it's finally available in my area in upstate New York. Before two weeks ago, I have never seen this beer before. I know this beer has been rated more times than any other IPA on this site, but honestly I don't see why. The American IPA is the top dog on the craft beer scene. Every brewery makes an IPA. Some make several. There are many many IPA's to choose from out there. Thousands. What makes this beer stand out from the others? I think it tastes pretty above average, but like I said, it's one dimensional. There's not a lot of depth. It is good. I could place it in my top ten IPA's, but it definitely wont fall in my top five. To me this doesnt live up to the hype. (1,751 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps my two month old bottle lost a bit of its hop flavor but this was way less hoppy than i was expecting from the reviews. Imo this is a very balanced beer. Not on the hoppy side one bit. With that said, its still a tasty easy drinking beer. Unfiltered so keep that in mind. Id drink it again. Hopefully on tap and fresh. (326 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.