Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,307 | Hads: 13,100

Packaged in a 12 oz amber crown cap bottle
Served at fridge temp about 35F
Big, pungent hop aroma at the bottle neck
Pours with a thick body, producing a full off white head.
Appearance: Amber-orange, very slightly hazy, leaves an excellent lace.
Taste: Assertive citrusy bitterness dominates. Not as malty as expected.
Drinkability: Big hop load makes a good example of an American style IPA. Hop flavor apparent and balanced with the hop aroma, containing earthy and citrus components. Could use a little more malt flavor to enrichen it. Highly recommended for hop heads.

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

poured a cloudy golden with off white head, with some lacing. aroma, grapefruit, yeast, lemon, orange, hops, pine. flavor, orange, hops, supriseingly the grapefruit was weak compared to the aroma, floral. bells does it for me again. a good beer will buy again

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Golden orange. Slightly hazy. Lots of lacing. White foamy head.

Nose: Hoppy and grassy. Some fruity notes.

Taste: Malty upfront, bitter hoppy finish. Not overpowering though.

Medium body. Pretty light carbonation

Relatively drinkable beer for an IPA

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Here is my re-view... I am keeping my original review at the bottom, but I have realized that the first bottle I ever had of this was very old and it is not fair to the brewer to leave that review without an amendment.

Appearance: copper color, large head, slightly hazy

Smell: Citrusy hops, slight pine, little bit of sweet crystal malt

Taste: this is what I was looking for so many months ago... This is delicious. A little bitter for my taste and I wish there was a little more hop flavor, but definitely solid

Mouthfeel: Nice fairly dry with medium carbonation. Very easy to drink. Possibly the best part about this beer

Overall: A nice mild IPA. Very refreshing and while not over the top with hops, a very good representation of the style

After a few months away from beer due to a nationwide tour, I was really looking forward to trying a nice hoppy IPA.

Appearance- Good amber color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of fizz. Slightly hazy. Assuming the haze comes from the vast amount of hops.

Smell- upon opening the bottle I got a pretty good whiff of floral citrusy hops without even meaning to. When poured, it smelled completely delicious. Centennial hops for sure! I am really looking forward to this!

Taste- What a disappointment! Blue balls at it's finest! The initial taste was citrus and floral just like the smell, but that initial bitterness faded very quickly to an unpleasant cloying sweetness. I do not know if this was what was intended by the brewer... Definitely not what I expected.

Mouthfeel- not dry like I expect my IPAs to be. The thickness combined with the sweetness are not what I expected at all.

Drinkability- I gave away half of a 6 pack because I just could not get into this one. The three that I kept I drank on different nights because I could not have more than one a night.

Should I try a fresher bottle or hunt out a place that has it on draught maybe? It was not skunked, had no freshness date so I have no way of knowing if the hop flavor just faded or what was going on, but there was no hint of hops flavor after the very initial touch of the beer on my tongue. Overall, this was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe if I find it on draught and I know it is fresh I would give it another review.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

received a bottle via beer trade. poured from bottle into an imperial pint glass. boors a dark honey with a fluffy white head and great lacing. some pine and citrus notes in the aroma. Nice malty sweetness at first followed by a mild hop bitterness that lasts for a short period of time. As it warms the hoppy notes linger on the back of your tongue. A delicious pale/ipa

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle poured at home into a snifter on a relaxed afternoon dated 1/1/10. Relatively huge bubbling in the head... sudsy. One of the telltale signs of a good IPA, IMO. Just enough haze to shroud the light of the room from shining clearly through. The nucleation from the bottom of the glass is also barely visible through this cloud. Sweet honey colored beer. Lots of sticky icky lacing deposits on the glass. THE! look of an IPA...

The smell starts with a cooling medicinal, herbal kick. Slightly soapy and flowery. Grandma's washroom after a nice lavender soap session kinda thing. I like that kind of homey hoppiness. A tinge of citric punch as well, but it is awash in soothing sweet malts... it warms into a toasted malt and earthy hop combo yielding a sharp finish on the nose. Largely appealing, if not astounding. Sharp as well on the tongue with plenty of carbonation biting on the front. Burnt toast, bitter pine hop Dominate the middle of the body. Caramel with the tart bite - like a candy apple. A buttery, soapy finish. A last slap to the mouth is the highlight of this beer - plenty of floral hop that still makes you pucker... coats and lingers. I feel like I've fallen out of love with this beer just a bit. Plenty of great aspects, but it somehow isn't coming together quite as impressively as I remember. OK, I really love the carbonation on this beer... accentuates the hop bite, keeps the show moving, and doesn't allow the membranal finish to become cloying.
Still one of the standard bearers of an IPA, IMO...

Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

A: Yellow with a good head and lacing. 4

S: The smell is hoppy, but it's a little too piney for my tastes. 3

T: Citrus hops with some slightt sourness. The fresh ipa flavour fades into buttery finish. 4

M: Good and foamy. 4

O: Good. Bitterness doesn't build. 4

NOTE: I had this late one night at Big Hunt and I may have been slightly drunk.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Review courtesy of trade with Shuggy
Bottle/Batch # 10138

A: Pours a light cloudy straw pale color with some darkened hues and a nice thick 2.5 finger pure white head.

S: I get a big citrus fruit aroma up front followed quickly by sweet malts and a clean yeast note to it.

T: Spicy!!!! The hop bitterness kind of took me by surprsie on this one. It snorkled up the nose and I nearly ASNR'd everywhere...swear to god. Some biscuity malts in there. Lots of earthy floral and pine hop notes with that signature citrus pucker that zings and prickles the palate. Dry crisp finish to it. Refreshing.

M: Lightly sticky mouthfeel but overall very sleek.

D: Pretty solid once you get past that first punch of hop bitters. I am sad my one sample is now gone actually. I can easily see why this is a hopfan favorite.

If 2-Hearted was a local to me it would be in my fridge alot to say the least. Some great drinking IPA! Tradesies are the best.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at North Banks restaurant on the Outer Banks. The aroma and flavor are all grassy hops... not my favorite. I'm sure this beer is a home run for a lot of people, but it's a little too grassy for me. Still, a well-crafted beer that deserves the strong ratings it gets.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

Finally have gotten around to reviewing this staple brew that I have been drinking for years. Poured from a bottle into a sam adams perfect pint

a- pours deep yellow, sort of apple juice in color with thick white fluffy head

s- nose seems a bit muted with some grassy light hop scent with a bit of lemon citrus and just a slight hint of tropical fruit

t- slight grapefruit like hop, a bit of lemon and some grassiness. finishes with a bit of pine resin. nothing overpowering

m- drinkability is very high. flavors are not overwhelming but linger on the palate nicely. finish is slightly dry and bitter, but again not overpowering. there is a reason this is my standard session ipa.

overall, still my go to session IPA. nothing too crazy, but for $8 a six-pack and considering its constant availability, I cant think of a beer I have had more of in the past few years.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle purchased at Merchant's Fine Wine in Dearborn, MI.

A - Golden and hazy and a thick white head with nice retention. Decent lacing.

S - Earthy and piney. Some malt. Not bad but this was my least favorite part of the experience.

T - Fruity, smooth and well balanced. The 7% alcohol is well hidden.

M - Sturdy consistency and good moderate carbonation.

D - An enjoyable but not overly outgoing IPA. Smooth, clean and easy to drink.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Poured from bottle a golden color with 2+finger width head that stuck around forever, good carbonation up the glass, good lacing
S: Smell is very crisp and citrusy
T: Slight malty up front, good citrusy flavor. Not too bitter, perfect amount of hoppiness for my tastes
M: Easy drinking light to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Extremely well ballanced IPA, satisfied my hop fix for the evening

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

Got this one on a trip to a friends wedding out in Minnesota.

Poured with almost no head and only moderate lacing. Beer is a bright amber color with hints of red. Carbonation is strong.

I didn't have a proper glass to pour this one into, but the nose seems very subdued. This is definitely an IPA, but there is a strong malt backbone here as well, the nose is not overly pungent of hops, but almost a warm biscuity aroma.

This beer tastes good! From the aroma, I expected the hops in this to be fairly subdued, boy was I wrong! This beer is hoppy and hop forward. The initial flavor is of medium bitter hops and this quickly fades to a more lasting bitter hop flavor profile. The hop bitterness is well balanced with the sweeter, malt background, but this beer is truly hoppy.

Overall this beer is excellent; I only wish I could buy it back in Maine! I was suprised to find that this beer is 7% abv, the alcohol is well hidden, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the % was this high. Well done Bells!

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a tap into a Nonic Pint.

Appearance: Poured slightly lighter than most IPA's that I've tried leaning more toward amber than orange. The head was beautifully thick and stuck around for the whole pint.

Smell: The aroma was a bit muted to me. I could certainly pull out the citrus and hops but it was not as prevalent as I would have liked.

Taste: All of the usual suspects were there. I got the huge hop explosion up front followed by some citrus and sweetness but it kind of fizzled away. It was really similar to the smell. Everything was present but it was just slightly muted. This isn't to say that there was anything wrong with the taste because it was thoroughly enjoyable. I just wanted more of it. I would also like to say that the aftertaste was superb and very inviting.

Feel: The feel was everything I want from an IPA. Medium body with bitter hops and alcohol warming the tongue allowing everything to flow easily. Very well done.

Drinkability: I could drink several of these back-to-back with no palate fatigue. If this were slightly more affordable and readily available in case form in my area I could easily make this a session brew.

I think I may have been looking forward to this one too much. I was expecting just a little more flavor but I was in no way disappointed.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

Been waiting to try for a while and overall not disappointed but doesn't compare on same level as some of my other favorites.
Golden honey pour with nice white sticky head. Smell lacks with alcohol notes and dome sticky hop resin. Taste and feel great. Sweet honey, molasses but smooth and not overly sticky. Easily will drink again

3.75/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy amber color with a fluffy white head that rings the glass in a nice lace.

S: Tons of pine in the aroma along with a strong citrus blast with maybe just a hint of candied fruit.

T: Powerful grapefruit flavor up front that fades slightly to a just barely there pine note. Soapy mouthfeel.

D: Not my favorite American IPA but pretty tasty none the less.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

I waited a long time to get my hands on a bottle so I'm trying to be fair. The beer probably could never live up to my expectations. It was a good example of an American IPA but I did not find it to be as exceptional as I hoped. It poured a light amber color with a huge head that ebbed quickly. There was almost no lacing. The aroma was hoppy, but not like I expected it to be. It was highly carbonated with hints of malty sweetness and some fruitness.

The taste was more hoppy than the aroma. It had a nice bitter appeal with balance added by a sweet maltiness and some citrus undertones. The beer was medium bodied, bubbly in the mouth. I had no real desire to have a second one, which is rare for most beers that I drink, and extremely rare for an IPA.

cotton candy, orange, peach, and light hops to it.

The flavor is roasty and malty. Some sweetness but very little hoppy bitterness. The floral accents and tanginess of the hops come through beautifully, but this is not an over-hopped beer that kicks you in the mouth with bitterness. Very subtle and sweet.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Picked up a single at Total Wine and more.
Batch number was 9017 which once I sat in front of the computer got to the website....it was brewed on March 10th 09..

So poured in to my DFH Tulip/Pint glass. Pours an extremly yellow and gold color with a very hazy look to it. Not much clouds in there as the haze is apart of the drink. The head forms rather easily and leaves quickly. The aroma was a nice licte citrusy hop smell. Taste was strong with hop flavor, citrus, and sweet floral accent to it. One particular hops was a bit over the top for me as I felt half way threw the sip it dried up my taste buds. Reminded me of a Ruination but the little brother of it. Was overall a tasty brew drinkability is good regardless of the hops. The alcohol level is at a 7% which is nice if you plan to drink a few.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Served from a cask/minikeg and poured into a

Appearance: A nice copper colour. Might have left the top open so the carbonation sucked. Im just going to give it the benefit of the doubt and rate it as I remember it before today.

Smell: Very nice, like a garden of fragrant flowers. Hop smell is completely dominant. Scent is very fresh and clean

Taste: Hophead's delight. Hoppy but not bitter to a fault. Gets better as you drink it, and you can taste lots of complexity. Very floral and

Mouthfeel: Carbonation peters out quickly (but might be a result of the minikeg incident) otherwise, its crisp, clean, and a solid mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not very drinkable. Its nice to pour a pint or so, and then just sip on it for a while. Otherwise its a bit too strong and one dimensional with the hoppiness to really enjoy quickly or a number of times. Plus, its rather alcoholic...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with one finger of persistent white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Abundant bright fruit--particularly guava and orange--are featured most prominently in this beer's smell. It is otherwise characterized by some fresh floral notes, faint toast, and by a potent alkaline mineral quality.

T: Begins off-dry with assertive toasted pale malt that soon turns vinous. Flavors dry out in the middle, floral aromatic hops emerge, and weak astringency heralds the approaching finish. Bitterness is restrained, and remains decidedly floral, in the relatively short and unremarkable finish. A phantom of pithy grapefruit is detected late.

M: Thin viscosity, demonstrating agility by being both wet and slightly sticky on the palate, with light carbonation.

D: A beer that is greater than the sum of its parts--an unusual sensory profile comes together remarkably well and makes for a subtle yet interesting experience. Two-Hearted does not immediately lend itself to direct comparisons with beers of the west coast IPA archetype, but does remind of Ninkasi's Total Domination IPA. The flavors featured here do not assault the palate, and would humbly vanish in the presence of most savory food flavors.

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
(Thanks to my girlfriend Nari for bringing this one back from Ohio.)

Poured a hazy, straw yellow with a fizzy, white, one-finger head. A touch of floating sediment was noticeable. Some drippy, short-lived streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

Aroma was quite subdued at first. Mildly hoppy with a bit of sweet malts. As the beer warmed, the hops became somewhat more pronounced and took on citrusy characteristics. Some sweet, bready malts came out as well.

The taste was much more pronounced than the aroma. Intense hops assaulted the palate from start to finish. Aggressively hoppy up front with piney, resiny, grapefruit-like cascade hops and a touch of sweet malts. The hoppiness seemed to settle mid-palate and some bready notes were apparent. Crisp on the swallow with a bitter, biting, lingering, hoppy finish. Alcohol taste was hardly perceivable, but you could feel it effects toward the end of the drink.

Medium bodied with a lush and creamy mouthfeel.

This is a hop bomb, pure and simple. It has enough hops for a DIPA but lacks the malt and alcohol presence. A good IPA overall, but I expected more complexity and/or balance.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

First of all ... American IPA? Taste wise that was o AIPA to me!

A - Nice color and pour from bottle left about 1" head on glass. Definately nice appearance

S - Smelled like an APA, very nice malty flavor

T - As already mentioned, more like a PA or APA. Smooth and balanced, but far from an IPA

D - Very smooth brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a good IPA. I guess the best way to descibe this one is balance. The hops don't overpower and blend smoothly with the malts. It has a nice simple citrus/hoppy aroma, but nothing earth shattering. This is definately the IPA to session with if you are careful of the ABV. The balance makes this one very easy to drink and doesn't kill your tastebuds after a couple. While not the greatest overall IPA, it is a very nice example of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

I've been reading BA reviews for about a year now, but it's time to start contributing! Here's my first

Appearance: Poured a slightly opaque amber color with a good one inch white head. Slow to recede. Leaves strong lacing.
Smell: Very sweet! Definitely pine and orange citrus, but the fruity sweetness reminds me of ripe strawberries.
Taste: Toasted, caramel sweetness to the malt, followed by the orange and pine hop flavor. Definitely not as bold as some IPAs I've had. Aftertaste is a little off.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, lightly carbonated. Pretty smooth
Drinkability: Hmm...I wonder if this is perfectly fresh. I can't get past the strange taste that climbs into the nose as I swallow.

A decent IPA, but I wouldn't come back to it unless mine is subpar.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Slightly disappointed in this based on other reviews but still a great beer.

A: Pours a nice orange with a thick, one finger head. Plenty lacing.

S: Pine, very strong aroma.

T: Pine and citrus.

M: Hearty, almost too heavy for an IPA for me.

D: The flavors just don't work for me. Too dank for me when drinking an IPA. Maybe a little too much pine and not enough citrus back end. It's a great beer, but I find better offerings out there.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.