Join our email list →

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,355 | Hads: 13,413
3.81/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip (bottled on 6/5/13)

A: A nice copper color with minimal head.

S: Nice blending of pine and citrus, like a mellow Pine-Sol. More citrus than pine here. Quite interesting and noticeably different for an IPA.

T: Balance. I always use pine as a flavor but this one is different in that it has pine/forest nuances, like you notice the needles and what not. I get almost no citrus, it is just pine and even that isn't super strong, it just is the flavor. Solid, even pine throughout, that continues into the aftertaste. The carbonation didn't help either, it gave it this weird texture with the flavor.

M: Even carbonation that isn't too noticeable, just a hint of crispness.

O: I was expecting a lot more since everybody is always comparing IPAs to this and they say it is one of the best. It is good but it almost seems too balanced, like I wish that there was something that jumped out at me flavor-wise. I don't what it is, but it just seems quite plain for an IPA. I love IPAs, but it was almost a chore to finish this one.

3.81/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A nice golden yellow color. Can't really say much about the head since I drink it out of the bottle (very drinkable). Floral and fruity nose, but not too strong. Flavors are very well balanced. You can definitely taste the hoppy backend but it's very well balanced by the sweeter/breadier hops flavors. Good for people getting into beer.

3.81/5  rDev -10.6%

A- golden orange with an inch and a quarter of foam. Decent retention and good lacing

S- sweet and leafy with a hint of citrus

T- hoppy with citrusy notes. Good balance

M- light and watery. Lots of hops that stick to the tongue.

O- Great beer, Good quality and available year round.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12 ounces into my tulip glass, quite fresh as it was bottled on 6/10/14. 1/2 finger of creamy white head disappeared quickly. However, the golden amber hue of this beer was quite impressive. Aroma of pine and light lemon zest. Hit me with a strong piney/grassy opening note. Very clean and refreshing with a pronounced bitter finish. The light carbonation lent to a bit of a watery mouthfeel, though pretty par for the IPA course. Overall, the only thing I felt that was lacking in this well-balanced, refreshing brew was a bit more of the citrus hop flavor. This would have bumped it up even higher that my great rating. Interested to try this on tap, extremely fresh one day. Excellent IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Clear body with a pale honey color and a nice white 2 finger head. Lacing is exceptional as well.

S- Sweet grainy smell upfront with minimal hop presence for an IPA. What is there seems to be earthy, maybe slightly piney. Definitely not very bold thought.

T- Caramel malt is the first hit, followed by a distinct but not overpowering alchohol complexity. Hops come in afterwards showing through as piney and slightly earthy.

M- Balanced, slightly bitter, slightly sweet, medium mouth feel. Magnificent.

Over all, I think I’ve found my go-to, easy to find, smooth drinking, reasonably priced IPA for my new home. I had heard good reviews form this mid-west’s staple IPA and had been anxious to get my hands on one. I was not let down. Did it live up to the hype? No. Do they ever? Rarely. Is it still damn good? Absolutely.
Cheers

3.81/5  rDev -10.6%

The IPA from Bells. Well, if you like hop squeezins, this should be your cup of tea. I love the look of this in the glass, nice pale yellow color, frothy white head. It looks like it was dry hopped to me. Smell and aroma are, well, hops.... very close to over the top for me, I could barely pick up any malt at all. A solid beer, but a bit too much hop juice for me.

3.81/5  rDev -10.6%

A: A beautiful beer. It is an unusual light honey brown.

S: Hoppy, with more citrus than I think I've ever smelled in an IPA. A hint of alcohol is apparent as well. The citrus seems to be orange versus the typical grapefuit.

T: Really mild in the front of the mouth, then citrus takes over. The hops were not nearly as present as expected. Orange is the most prevalant flavor to me with hops coming in a fairly distant second.

M: Nothing out of the ordinary either good or bad.

D: Kinda so so here as well. I couldn't get through many of these.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear plastic cup because I am too lazy to do my dishes.

A- Pours a dark gold copper with a huge fluffy white head.
S- Floral, grassy hops with a biscuity malt background.
T- Very sharp grassy and floral hops, almost a bit over the top and harsh. Biscuity maltiness at the end, followed by a lingering bitterness.
M- Very good, medium carbonation, coats the inside of the mouth very pleasantly. Little bit of alchohol warmth maybe?
D- An extremely drinkable IPA, you could drink this all night.

While not my first choice for an IPA due to the fact that I always find the hoppiness a little harsh, this is no doubt a solid IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

had this a while back when i was first starting to get into craft... wasn't a big fan but decided it was definitely worth another shot.

A - thick, persistent head, bottle conditioned haziness, clover honey color.

S - fresh citrus zest, big floral aroma follows. light caramel, almost honey like aroma (possibly slightly oxidized?)

T - very balanced, medium bitternes - low for an AIPA. Plenty of hop flavor, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon and clementine. Slight caramel note. Very simple flavors, very one dimensional, clean but not much substance.

M - pretty straightforward, medium body, medium to low carbonation, slight but acceptable astringency. Right on for an IPA.

D - for what was said about this beer's taste, this is a very simple easy drinking IPA. from my prespective, nothing stands out about this beer, its simple and easy to kick back... there is nothing about it that would make me want to consider it a world class brew.

Good beer without a doubt, just a very simple, one dimensional brew.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass. Batch number: 8702.

Appearance: Hazy orange with a big white head. Really good head retention and lacing.

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops. Big aroma of citrus peels and grapefruit.

Taste: Taste is like the smell with loads of grapefruit and citrus.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: Golden with a light, white, foamy, lingering head.

Smell: Grapefruit, citrus hop, mild malt sweetness.

Taste: Citrus hop - grapefruit balanced by a lightly sweet malt backbone, finishes mostly dry, slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light, smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: Fairly standard IPA, easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy, orange in color. Relatively aggressive pour yielded a one-finger head that disappeared quickly. Slight lacing that didn't stick around long either.

S: Hop-forward, slight citrus. Not overpowering on the olfactory here.

T: Hoppy spiciness. Not a lot of anything else. Some citrus to it, malty sweetness at the back end.

M: Light, yet creamy, lots of little carbonation bubbles.

O: Overall this is a solid beer but not one that blew me away. Nice and balanced, light and delicious. I could easily put away a few of these in a sitting.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottled from batch 7770. Pours with a small head that faded quickly and aroma of pine and hop. Flavor is nice with the good crisp clean and refreshing flavor all the way down. Very easy to drink. I acquired this via a trade and wish Bells had distribution in my state. I can't wait to try to Hopslam!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Straw gold with a one finger foamy white head

S - Nose is heavy with grapefruit and pine hop aroma

T&M - Lots of hop bitterness here that match the nose; there is a subtle but present malt in the background. Medium bodied and slightly chewy, seems light on carbonation

D - Very enjoyable, very hopped up...I think more then one would fatigue my palette

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Hazy amber color with a vigorous beige head. Nice aroma of resin and floral hop. Medium body with frothy carbonation. Flavor is very hoppy, piney with a hint of grapefruit. Finishes smooth and tasty with medium maltiness. Yaste is a little better on tap as compared to the bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Had this at Moggers in Terre Haute. (a shout out to one of my favorite bars in America that I usually only make it to once a year)

The color was a cloudy amber. The smell and taste were not as strong as my favorite pale ales but the citrus and pine notes were there that make this a very solid PA. This beer obviously has gotten very high ratings on this website and although I don't think I can give it an "A", it is a solid offering of this style.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks Rudge for this one. This beer was dark gold with a real pleasant hop nose to start. The mouthfeel was very smooth with the hops coming into play but an almost English flavour came to mind in the rounded complexity of the finish. This is a very individual IPA that is very drinkable but not a over the top west coast hop monster.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

I bought a six pack of this one.
Poured it in a Stone Levitation imperial snifter. I also had it in on Cask once too.

The appearance red-orange, with about a two inch head poured calmly.

The smell was floral and I could smell the bitterness

The taste is smooth and bitter at the end of each sip on the tip of the tongue. delicious in gulps.

The mouthfeel isn't too astringent, great IPA

I could drink four of them easily, while being entertained of course.

Its a good session IPA

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Electric orange. Almost like you could plug something into it. Slight head with no lace.

S: Like a sweet mixed drink. Cherry, grapefruit and other citrus. Nice.

M: Nothing overpowering until the swallow where there was a distinct grapefruit like burn and a bitter wash with bitter aftertaste.

T: Tart and bitter from strong grapefruit, a strong cherry accent and raisins. It was candy like and dry. Cherry tastes are unusual, but mixed well and alcohol was strong.

D: As IPAs go, this one was different. Not really my taste, and I don't think I'd reach for it because the cherry tastes I picked up just didn't sit well.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

I was in northern VA for the Inauguration--Great Falls, to be exact--on a sleepy Sunday morning and went into a quaint international cafe and market. They had a small but quality selection of six packs, with the most pleasant surprise being a lone sixer of this beer, which I've only had before at Monk's Cafe. I was psyched.

Batch 8526, which I now realize means it's not at the peak of freshness. Hopefully I'll find an opportunity to review from a fresher batch, but here it goes...

A: Pours a cloudy marigold with considerable carbonation. Settles quickly and produces a thin peal white head that dissolves quickly. Not much lacing, which again may be the product of age...

S: Big citrus and some floral scents, along with malt sweetness on the back of the nose. Not the big or sharp hop bitterness I sort of expected.

T: Bland for the first few sips, but after warming up a little there's more distinctive taste--biting, dry hop notes, with hints of grapefruit and pine. The beer makes a move toward balance with some mellowing malt character. Crisp overall.

M: Carbonation kind of dominates, and the tingle lingering, clinging to the bottom sides of the tongue.

D: I really think if I had consistent access to this beer it would always already be in my fridge.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

I love the label on this bottle! Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a thick, white head. The smell is very hoppy, with some grassy notes. There is also a bit of citrus/fruit character in the nose. The taste is quite bitter, with a ton of citrus. There are some mild malt tastes but they are masked by the extreme bitterness. Drinkability is good, considering the bitterness. This is a great IPA. Seek it out.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at a gas station in Livonia MI for just under $3.00 for a 16oz can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Very good. Dark gold. No head in 1min.

S- Nice and mellow. Standard malt

T- Pretty good. Like the malt. Good backbone. This is an APA not IPA for sure on the first sip

M- Pretty darn good. Got it a couple of ways... Nice creaminess and dry

O-Very good. It was a nice gas station add on for cheap. Got 3! Pounded one back in my hotel room after a concert in Detroit and am having one now. If it's the best there get it!!

Food Pairing

This nice beer is going well with... Tacos!

Enjoy

3.79/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Very popular beer, especially in the Michigan college community. Strong hop scent and the hops are very apparent upon drinking. High levels of carbonation leave a tingling after taste. Hops are the only way I can describe this beer as it dominates the aroma and flavor.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a golden color with a medium head and pretty good retention.

Smell: Hops and more hops, with some biscuit aromas. This is going to taste bitter...

Taste: And it does taste bitter. Floral hops all the way, and not much complexity at all. There's still some of that biscuit flavor, but it's all about the hops here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fairly crisp.

Overall: This beer has been around awhile and was probably a favorite among hopheads before the hop craze. Now this beer tastes one-dimensional, unbalanced, and simple. In a world with more than enough IPAs, this probably isn't the accomplished beer that it once was, but it's still good.

3.79/5  rDev -11%

A: bright white head with bright orange body looks just like stone IPA to me a staple IPA for me

S: smell is quite mute I went to bells web site and it was bottled on April 19 2010 but this sixer was bought from a store that refrigerates there beer so that should help keep it. however I do get a bit of citrus on the nose thats all

T: more citrus on the taste better then the smell but not screaming out at me. good taste I was expecting more hops to come through but still good.

M: nice light mouth high carbonation

D: drinks like a hoppy APA but yea its drinkable.

overall: meh a beer I was expecting more from this is the 2nd 6 pack I have been underwhelmed with a decent IPA but nothing I am going to buy again anytime soon.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.