Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,276 | Hads: 12,957
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks schwaeh. Bottle code 10199, packaged Jan 31st. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A: Very hazy golden straw, lighter than most IPAs. An aggressive pour yields a smallish head but lacing is pretty good.

S: Floral floral floral. Citrus underneath, pineapple and papaya. Sweet, spiced breadiness. As it warms I think the soft fruit and honey come front and center. Its nice, but soft and subdued.

T: There is a nice lingering bitterness. The fruitiness and sweetness are there but they are subdued. There is an earthy, piney hop flavor, and the malts and spiciness are both there but not in the foreground. Not loving it but its ok.

MF: Fuller bodied than most single IPA's that I'm used to. Creamy and drying with some crispness. Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: Under-whelmed with this beer, not sure if it has started to decline since its bottling in January. The aromas and flavors were too light for me, although the bitterness and mouthfeel were spot on IMO.

The way people rave about this beer I'd love to try it again and see if my palette was off tonight. (1,064 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Review from notes taken last night. Poured from nitro tap into a clean, clear 16 oz. pint glass at a cost of $6.

A Translucent orange yellow body under a very creamy head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Good lacing left on the inside of the glass as well. 4.0

S Floral and very fragrant hops with a background of sweet malt that presents as a butterscotch sweetness. Hops predominate here, though. 4.0

T The big, bitter hops with the medium butterscotch like malt presence predominate in that classic 2 Hearted taste. I do not notice a difference in the cask with the smell or taste. 3.5

M This is where the cask presentation really changes things. First, the beer is near room temperature and it has a kind of "classic" beer feel as in this is the way that the brewer's intended to present it. I really like the feel of this cask version. 4.5

D Fair to good. The hop levels are too high for me but there is enough balance to make this a really interesting beer, one that I would certainly look for again. 3.5 (1,020 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Translucent amber color, sparse but active carbonation rising up from bottom of glass, and a tall, foamy, sexy head that shrunk to half its original size within a minute of being poured, leaving a patchy, sticky lace

Smell: Definitely some fruitiness to it, perhaps citrus; kind of a damp, musty, grassy smell, like when a pile of mown grass gets rained on in the spring

Taste: Slightly astringent center, but otherwise pretty well-balanced; piney hops at the forefront and some lavender/citrus planted firmly in the background; overall, not the most interesting IPA I've ever tasted, but there is something to say about its balance...

Mouthfeel: Quite a full-bodied IPA, at least from what I've tasted...full and smooth...a little more carbonated than I would prefer, but the carbonation tapers off considerably by the end of a glass

Drinkability: A pretty good IPA. Balance seemed to be more well maintained when it was colder-hops sort of fall flat as it warms up and its overall a bit less interesting. Good news is, the astringency also relaxes as the temperature increases. Not a great beer, but a good one. I'd quaff a couple with some Belgian fries... (1,175 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%

Served on-tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Charlotte.

There's no two ways around it, Bell's Two Hearted is a beautiful lookin' beer. A sea-foam white head hugs the stop of a clear bubbly gold beer. Lace everywhere, and leaves big rings as I down the pint. Head has great retention, too. No complaints.

This is a fruity smelling IPA, with peaches, bubblegum, and fresh citrus hops shining through. Sweet light malt and mandarin oranges, which is interesting... a bit more hop presence in the smell would bring this close to perfection.

A few sips produce tons of fruit notes and sweet malt balanced with a crisp, fresh piney hop flavor. The mouthfeel is super creamy; you could drink this IPA quickly in a pinch. Aftertaste is bitter grapefruit seeds with a hint of earth. This is a good tasting beer, more drinkable than Stone IPA, but not quite as flavorful. Perhaps a bit watered down. Finishes dry.

Two-Hearted is a fine beer, not the best IPA I've had but certainly in the top 10. More aggressive hopping would get this higher marks from me. (1,054 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i was really looking forward to this beer. this is the first from Bells that i have tried. poured nice with a nice head and carbonation. nice lace on the glass.

smelled pleasant. fruity with nice hop smell. the taste was a let down. not a bad taste but not as full of taste as the smell led me to believe.

this beer is drinkable. i have four of the six left so i will sample again in a few days. i doubt if i will change my review but we shall see.

decent choice but not a top ten IPA for me.

suckem up and movem out.
giblet (537 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours golden with a slight yeast haze and the head is thick and stick around till you finish your glass. Smells like fresh hops with a citrus overtone. Initial taste of hop bitterness that is very perfumey followed along by a slight malt flavor although not sweet more grainy. Aftertaste is all hops very citrusy. Very perfumery hops flavor. Mouthful is rich and oily is rather drinkable. This beer has more dry hopped flavor then any beer ive ever had before. (460 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

so this beer has started my day off with a laugh. i saw a trick on how to open a bottle of beer with a newspaper so i decide to try it. i prep the paper. grab the bottle and as i try to pry open the bottle it slips hits me in the balls and rattles to the floor. thankfully no broken bottle. after icing down my wound i crack this open to a wonderful champagne like burst of bubbles that rush from the bottle to greet my kitchen counter. awesome.

pours a hazy orange with a nice abundant white head that falls after a few minutes leaving an impressive lace.

smell is malty. faded hops. i think this bottle may have sat a bit too long. sadly. still smells ok though.

my guess was correct. this has been on the shelf a bit to long. big old malt bomb. still tastes good. some residual bitterness at the end seems to tell the tale of hops past.

mouth is medium. i get a lasting bitterness that wont shake. not sure its a good thing.

i am 99 percent sure that i just got an old bottle of this. i would love to try a fresh one as im sure it would be a much better experience than the one i had. although it might just be the sore nuts talking. (1,143 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dull golden in color like apple juice. Pours to a billowy three finger head.

S: Malty pine-hop smell.

T: Some nice dry maltiness to finish but not enough of the hoppy, piney, citrusy bite up front that I prefer.

M: Some carbonation up front with a nice dry finish.

D: Very drinkable and refreshing beer. Not quite as good as I expected. Wonder if I got something less than fresh.

Served in an Imperial Pint glass. (421 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

One of those IPA's that always comes up in discussions, but I've only recently been able to buy some.
This IPA falls into the reddish amber category. It's actually one of the darkest ones I've encountered to date. The head forms, and it's not too heavy or thick, but the lacing is top notch.
Smells piney, floral, and grapefruity. Interesting. Usually the darker IPA's tend to fall into the pineapple territory, but I'm not getting that.
WOW - this stuff is bitter. Probably one of the most bitter beers I've ever had. Because it doesn't have that booze or malt to keep the hops in check, this one hits you right in the mouth. It needs something else. Very dry finish, but there's a cracker-like flavor that I've picked up in other Bell's beers. That actually keeps this from being an unbalanced bitter mess. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me a bit
By the end of my glass, I could handle a second one. It's not everyday that a beer changes my mind in the middle of drinking it. That cracker finish really saves this one, but it's still a little flawed.
I like this, but it can be a little much if you're not wanting a bitterness assault. However if you are - this one takes the cake.
I plan on revisiting this with a meal to see how it comes into play with different flavors.

(Edit: Future tastings still haven't really won me over to this one. I'm just not a fan) (1,376 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received bottle in trade. Thanks Viggo.

Appearance: Pours an orangey amber colour with a creamy off white head. Good retention.

Aroma: Pineapple and other tropical fruit. Not much malt.

Taste: Sweet & fruity carries through to the finish, followed by a medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied, creamy.

Final Statement: A very drinkable IPA but the strange tropical fruit flavours make me think it was a pretty citrus hoppy IPA that is a little passed its prime. Would like to try again some day. Not a bad beer as it was though, just not an outstanding one. (578 characters)

Had on-tap at the Pour House

A-Like muddled dark gold, with a slim stark white head, that dissipated into a fine film that lasted, leaving moderate lacing, but less than I would assume from such a highly praised beer

S-Hops, citrus, touch of sweetness

T-An extrapolation of nose, the hops and citrus are still there, but the citrus is expanded quite a bit leaving a strong orange flavoring, with a touch of vanilla at the end.

M-Smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation, nothing special here

D-Very drinkable brew, went very well with the burger I had and the game. However I think there's better examples of the style out there. (645 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Was expecting much better. Ok. But not great. Not sure why this beer rates so high. I have given it multiple chances now and still just don't get it. The flavor is just not there. (181 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz bottle poured into nonic. Half a finger of foamy white head quickly settles to a ring and thin center layer over hazy copper liquid. Dots of lace stick to the glass. Aroma is floral hops, caramel malt, citrus hop, slight tropical fruit. Taste is hop forward with grapefruit peel, floral, and earthy pine bitterness. Some biscuit malt sweetness. Medium body, creamy texture, moderate carbonation, bitter drying finish. (423 characters)

12 oz bottle into a pint, batch 8153 - this was a gusher

A - Pours a light golden color with a strong 1/4" head. Little hazing - well filtered. Head is very well retained.

S - Noticeable hop character - very potent. Piney and sweet - almost grapefruit. As if I rubbed a nice fresh packet of cascade together. There is one tone in here I'm not sure of - it almost seems like bleach. Yeah I know, scary.

T - All bitter up front - just in your face. Mid-stream develops some of the good hop flavors. Finishes with a much more sweet malt profile that balances out that bitter assault. The aftertaste has an interesting nutty quality to it. There are some phenolic tones to it that I would normally associate with a DIPA.

M - Thick and creamy. Full bodied. Carbonation is noticeable on the profile as well. Get a little bit of oily hop residue in the aftertaste.

D - Amazingly easy to drink. Very drinkable for the style - I find the ABV is almost invisible (dangerous) and the carbonation doesn't bother my stomach.

At the end of the day, I have to call this one an also-ran. Nothing here really distinguishes it from some of the other offerings out there. Not to rag on this beer - as I would love to have it in my regular rotation. Iowa is a beer wasteland as it relates to Bell's high point beer. I find it very similar to a DFH 60 minute, something I can get - good news I guess. (1,386 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a deep, clear, golden color with an ambitious white head that leaves behing a sticky lacing. Aroma is dominated by citrus (lemon and orange notes) as well as pine, with a slight caramel aroma underneath it. Taste features a prominent hop bitterness to begin, but is balanced a slight caramel sweetness and a short finish. In all honesty, it seemed a bit watery, and the short finish, which makes it drinkable, undermines it. (430 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a pint glass. It's a nice transparent golden hue, some carbonation but only about a finger.

Lots of hop aroma, mainly pine notes, very fresh and clean.

Definately heavy on the pine in terms of taste. There is a very nice hint of sweetness in the end. The taste doesnt linger too long which is good but the mouthfeel is a little light. It's pretty easy to drink because of the light body and the hops are not too over powering.

This is a very good, near sessionable beer. It is very nicely balanced and straight forward in terms of taste. (552 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

Rich golden amber pour with a big sudsy white head in a tulip. Smell is sweet caramel like with a soapy floral hop aroma. Nice hop flavor with a bit of a dull malt sweetness, however. Not a bad IPA by any means, but I found it fairly mildly flavored in comparison to some others I liked more. Still, extremely drinkable and pleasant. (333 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

Gold color. Large white foamy head. Hoppy and fruity aroma. Malty and hoppy. Big and bold flavor. High alcohol taste, unusual because it not that high an alcohol content, but smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Nice beer. (264 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

pours a cloudy apricot color, an inch worth of froth which seems to sick around more or less.

massive citrus qualities in the smell, quite floral and fragrant.

citrusy in the taste as in the smell, more hops than malt, but some of the flavors seem a bit restrained.

medium bodied and smooth, high carbonation.

Very drinkable beer and a solid IPA, though I don't really feel it lives up to the hype. (402 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

Part of a haul the the guy across the road from me brought back from a trip he took. Many thanks to him (Bill) for sharing a few bottles with me.
This looked okay, but honestly, I expected a little bit darker colour. Head was very nice, though, being a white, pillowy, froth that stuck around for a good 4 minutes. Perhaps longer. It could be a shade or two darker, but head retention was unmatched!
Smell was freshly sawn pine timber. Period. Lots of hops in the nose. Maybe a modest measure of grapefruit rind, but I got mostly pine resin. Nice, if it is a hop explosion that you seek. Hop flavour is actually much more modest than I was anticipating up front, then becoming a bit more assertive in the middle, with a nice, even if a little muted, malt character showing itself a few seconds after you swallow. Somewhat balanced, I suppose. A good beer that I am very glad I finally got the opportunity to try. (912 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Served from a beer engine at the Map Room, and at English Ale temperature. Good thin yet persistent head. The hand pull yeilded a beer with no bubbles, yet a firm mouthfeel. The IPA hops were actually subdued, nicely balanced between floral and bitter. Somehow I picked up a note of cherries, too. Color is lighter than the usual American IPA, closer to a Vienna or even a Pilsner. I had hoped to get a better impression of Bells than I did at their Eccentric Cafe taproom, and I was right. (490 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

I had this on cask at Nicholson's in downtown Cincy.
Served in a pub pint glass. Had a nice inch and a half frothy head. Plenty of hoppy aroma. More of the piney hop smell than anything else came through. This beer on cask is really interesting. You lose a lot of the hop bite, but this beer is so smooth and creamy that it makes up for it. Instead of getting the hop bite as soon as you drink it, it really comes through about midway through each drink. A little more subtle, but it's there.
This is very drinkable. This is so smooth that it's dangerous. All in all a good offering, but I prefer non hoppy beers for cask offerings. (634 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a brown bottle with a born-on date on the back lable into a pint glass and got a 1 finger off-white head.

A: Pours a golden, slightly orange color. There is a 1 finger head and lotds of sticky lace.

S: I'm not getting a big smell but there is grapefruit and a slight floral scent.

T: Taste follows smell: grapefruit and something else. I can't put my finger on it, though. I'm not even sure whether I like it or not.

M: Nice. It goes down good. It has a crisp feel to it.

O: It's a nice beer but it is not my favorite. I might like to try it on tap. (566 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing. (1,231 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance is light copper with two healthy fingers of head. There is some retention of the head throughout and it leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is quite pleasant - fresh citrus and hops are very noticeable. The flavor is lemony with a hop presence, but the body is too subtle for an IPA. This beer is enjoyable because it is complex, but it lacks the body I like in an IPA. It is certainly worth a try, but its reputation is quite inflated if you ask me. (470 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.