2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,714 | Reviews: 2,962 | Show All Ratings:
Flopjack

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Pale orange and yellow haze, about 1 finger white head

Smell - Pine, resin, grapefruit, malts, slight alcohol.

Taste - Fresh juicy tart citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, tangerine right at first. The middle you get pine, sticky resin, still some bitterness that is beginning to dry out then towards the end as the taste settles you get a bready roastiness that balances out the floral citrus and pine.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, clean, refreshing.

Overall - Good beer. Never dissipointed other two hearted its is always so fresh. Gives you a bit of everything an IPA should and balances all the flavors well.

02-21-2014 01:39:17 | More by Flopjack
humuloner22

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, I have loved this beer from the first time I tried it although it put a damper on my LSAT scores the next morning. Which therein lies the problem. Its so tasty you want to keep drinking them, and they are 7.00% which means if you drink a six pack you have really drank way more than a six pack. This was my first real introduction to Bell's and it remains a mainstay in my fridge, and I just so happened to catch this one on sale for the bargain price of $8.99 a sixer. I figured after all these years I would review this pleasuredome of a beer. I mean Coleridge would have surely written about this one had he lived long enough to try it. What doesn't it have. Its a beautiful ale.

The color: A golden ruby color.

The smell: a gorgeous piney sweet nectar, not as much floral and tropical as mountainous and northern.

The taste: Now this is where it gets real. It has a balance like no other, and for the price its a steal. Its lovely, sweet, yet piney and bitter in the perfect kind of way. Its the foundation on which the Hopslam is built upon. Not as strong, but just a great brew all the way around.

02-19-2014 21:10:11 | More by humuloner22
HoppySOB

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

The brew that always goes down smooth, converted my girl to an IPA fan, and never leaves me disappointed. Citrusy, perfectly carbonated, prominent but friendly bitterness derived from the centennial hops, pleasant aroma. It is really tough to come up with any negatives for this one, and tough to stop drinking it as well! Although I am a huge fan of high IBU IPAs and IIPAs now, this is the one that seeded my passion for hoppy brews to begin with. Easily one of my favorites.

02-18-2014 03:35:58 | More by HoppySOB
JerUrbans

Wisconsin

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dirty yellow/orange color with a 1" head with big foamy bubbles and nice lacing. Smell of coriander and hops. Taste is well balanced with flavors of hops, malts, and spice. Mouthfeel is great, it's smooth and not a huge bitter aftertaste it's just the right amount.

Overall, I don't know why I haven't drank this before. For some reason just been avoiding this one...shame on me. This beer is easy to drink and tastes fantastic.

02-17-2014 20:23:44 | More by JerUrbans
LooseGasCap

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Bold hop notes meet the nose. Smooth drinking and light lacing on the glass. Clean, crisp grapefruit flavors with a slight bitterness in the finish. The golden amber color is a tribute to the sunsets of the Midwest. One of my favorite beers of all time.

02-17-2014 00:10:26 | More by LooseGasCap
donbet69

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was primarily a lager drinker until recently because I was introduced to some bad IPA's in the past and had predetermined they would all be bitter. Having said that I especially liked this beer for it's underwhelming Hops to malt ratio.

Great color. Very nice IPA smell, not overly citrus.

Taste is just what I want in a beer. Easy to drink, no lingering bitterness.

02-16-2014 18:35:53 | More by donbet69
jbaker67

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear golden under a thin white cap of head. Nose is wonderful with earthy grassy hops, and a bit of floral resin, atop a nice caramel sweetness. Smooth and full balanced flavor, with gentle caramel biscuity sweetness, light bitterness, a touch of grass, a little floral resin, and a kiss of grapefruit rind. A wonderfully balanced and tasty brew that’s tantalizingly easy to drink down.

02-16-2014 11:45:40 | More by jbaker67
WheelsPSU

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

I gave this "classic" a shot at Rye House in Chelsea. Must be fresh since Bell's distributed to New York for the very first time this week. It kind of reminded me of an everyday IPA that is not too over the top with bitterness of the hop.

Poured a hazy goldish orange color with a small head. Decent not great lacing.

The smell was rather subdued. A light floral note with some citrus.

Citrus (orange) and pine but not too much of either (which is a good thing these days when IPA's seem to have hops for hops sake). The malt has a touch of sweetness. The beer had a watery taste to it though.

Medium bodies and a touch dry. The alcohol is well hidden.

Nothing from this beer stood out but it was still rather good. I guess the reputation from this beer left me expecting more. Although I do appreciate the single centennial hop not crushing my palate.

02-15-2014 02:52:21 | More by WheelsPSU
Loco_Joe

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle <packaged 1/23/14> poured in to a glass beer mug.

This beer was a hazy copper color with a thin head of white foam that remained as a layer leaving more lace than a Victoria's Secret fashion show.
Aroma and Taste had lots of floral and piney hops with a mid swallow citrus bite leading to a dray & bitter finish.
Goes down smooth and easy for the barely noticable abv.
Pretty damn close to perfect. No matter what Larry Bell thinks about NY, he makes a bunch of fine beers and this motherfucker is one of my favorites from his lame ass state*

*NOTE: no offense meant to most folks from Michigan. Just Larry Bell & Spartan fans!

02-14-2014 00:25:42 | More by Loco_Joe
JosDinan

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden, straw in color with white lacing in my tulip glass

S: Soft sweet-smelling hoppy nose. Centennial hops?

T: A nice bitterness leads into a delicious honey-like sweetness. Finishes with some hoppy-piney-citrusy tastiness.

M: Great medium body, perfect for an IPA

O: An American classic, I love this beer & brewing clones of it.

02-13-2014 20:48:58 | More by JosDinan
Greywulfken

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: deep golden ale, not quite clear, ivory head a few fingers high, smattering of lace trailed behind, persistent filmy cap

S: flowers and rain, chewy grains, notes of citric pith

T: crisp and fresh malt bill supports a gorgeous hop array, bringing many floral and citric powers to the fore

M: crisp and tight, clean and light; moderate bitterness and superior drinkability

O: top-tier IPA action here - glad Bell's has found its way to Long Island - the flavors and smells and feel are fairly style-typical, but there is something that happened in the execution of this beer that produced a product of exceptional quality. In terms of craftsmanship, it draws comparisons to the best of the rest.

02-13-2014 16:08:17 | More by Greywulfken
Pahn

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, what do you know. It happens to be my 500th review on BA, and Larry Bell finally broke his promise to never distribute to us up here in the northeast. I've never had this purported American classic before, and it must be fresh (since Bell's appeared here in NYC in the last week or so--actually, I see it's bottled 1/23/14, drinking on 2/12/14). Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance: Free pour yields a frothy, longlasting one inch head that leaves a solid wall of lacing. Pours a clear orange/gold.

Smell: Floral and citrusy, some hard water aroma as well. Restrained but nice. Building orange note.

Taste: Up front, nice and piny like what used to pass for a big IPA (I like). Smoothly transitions into crystal malt sweetness, lightly sugared tropical and citrus fruit flavor, with a decently crisp and dry finish. Bit of a mineral-y undercurrent to everything, also slightly watery, both elements actually serving the beer well. As in the nose, once the orange note takes root, it builds and becomes a prominent (if not the major) flavor.

Pretty straighforward, with outstanding balance and ample complexity. I'm not really blown away by any one element, but everything works great together. Deservedly considered a classic in my opinion. Also, notably well hidden alcohol. There's a bit of heat at the end, but I would believe almost 4% or at most 5%; would never guess 7%.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Smooth crystal malt fullness in the middle with a nice dry finish. A little watery as mentioned above, but it's actually a good thing.

Overall: Great beer. Not necessarily the beer I want to slam, but very very well done.

Sadly, I'm more "understanding why people love it" than I am "loving it." I think it's mainly the crystal malt with the Centennial single hop... I need some real bitter or dank punch to forgive this much noticeable crystal malt in an IPA (and it probably has to have even more alcohol bite; I want my low ABV pale ales bone dry with no crystal). The website mentions Bell's house yeast being a major contributor, and I must say that it's very nice (fruity esters and good attenuation).

All told it's a very good beer, worthy of its reputation.

02-13-2014 03:15:37 | More by Pahn
Srkolodn

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This IPA I would like to place in a seperate category that will go under "Everyday IPA's." Its not so in your face in any aspect and therefore, I could literally drink it every day, As opposed to hopslam where I would only like to drink 1 or 2 because of the intensity. This IPA is piney and has light citrus notes, it is so easily drinkable because of the great balance. It pours an outstanding color that I would like more IPA's to look like. Great brew.

Cheers!

02-12-2014 16:37:35 | More by Srkolodn
youknowmyname

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite go to beers when I can't find something new I want to try. Bell's Two Hearted ale is a wonderful, non-imperial IPA. The reason I say that is because it seems everyone wants to go imperial these days, and most of the time, I'm drinking a few beers not just one. Nothing wrong with imperials, but they should be that special occasion beer.

Great citrus and pine flavors with a big hop punch. Fairly strong but no phenol kick. A few of these will definitely have you feeling good. Easy go to beer if you like your beers hoppy.

02-11-2014 00:06:31 | More by youknowmyname
Patches0Who

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of my favorite IPA's fantastic, piney and light citrus notes excellent balance between hop bitterness and smooth crisp and clean malt finish! Great everyday IPA easy drinking, beautiful aroma, medium body, prefect color, everything I look for in an beer.

02-05-2014 01:08:13 | More by Patches0Who
Twisted_Halo

Simply one of the best IPA's out there today. Perfectly hopped for those of us that don't particularly enjoy the IPA's on the market that are part of what I like to call the "hops for hops sake" fad in today's craft beer world. Bell's Two Hearted doesn't overpower your taste buds with bitterness, but that doesn't mean it is lacking in flavor. Just outstanding!

01-31-2014 16:51:30 | More by Twisted_Halo
Bero

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

Fantastic IPA. One of the best there is. Just a wonderful wonderful beer. Jeepers is sure is great. Man I don't know just how much more I can say about this IPA beer that is really delicious. Really this is such a great great beer. Is this review long enough yet?

01-31-2014 02:24:32 | More by Bero
DannyS

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a magic hat keg glass.

A - Hazy but bright orange amber. Not surprising. Little head but it sticks around forever and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - It's actually pretty muted on the nose. Predominantly fruity/floral hops on the nose but it's not very strong.

T - VERY low bitterness for an IPA. Surprised at how mild the bitterness is, actually. The citric and piney hops are there but not overwhelmingly so, countered deftly by the roasty malt. That is one hell of a sessionable IPA.

M - Light on the carbonation and not heavy at all on the tongue. This beer goes down so easy I'm tempted to just crack open another and keep drinking.

Overall - 7% ABV? Sure don't taste like it! This one is subtle, fresh, strikes a killer balance of hops and malt, and finishes really clean. Unlike most IPA's that send you wave upon crashing wave of hop flavor and bitterness, this one drinks so easy that its 7% ABV will sneak up on you if you're not careful. A great choice both as an introductory IPA and an everyday brew.

01-30-2014 06:23:33 | More by DannyS
foglemgs

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a nice, muddy yellow color with a cream-colored head that dissipates quickly.

S: I get a lot of roasted malts in the nose, with a piney twinge. There are also some citrus notes, but I can't place the scent. Overall, it's quite a pleasant smell.

T: The flavor of malt hit me right up front. A nice, dry finish polishes this beer off.

M: Very smooth in the mouth. The carbonation bubbles nicely on the tongue and the rich flavor of malt makes you crave the next sip. This is one I could have consistently throughout the evening.

O: Another superlative beer from Bell's in Kalamazoo, MI. This, along with their Kalamazoo Stout, guarantees that they will have at least one loyal customer for many years to come.

01-29-2014 03:05:43 | More by foglemgs
SplitsAtoms

Georgia

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%

This thing is greater than the sum of its parts. Well balanced IPA--thats probaly what stands out the most. Good hop presence up front with solid malt behind, with nothing really asserting throughout. Mouth is way too thin and overly carbonated for my taste. Also noted a bit of a sour taste that was not to my pleasure. All that said, its highly drinkable and a good representation of what i would call an introductory IPA for those not ready for or not into the huge flavors available in so many other great renditions. I would enjoy another if given, but would not seek out or purchase again at $10 a sixer locally.

01-26-2014 23:11:05 | More by SplitsAtoms
Jmayhaus

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice hop finish with a hint of citrus, very refreshing with lunch. I poured them into a ale glass and it has a thick head, citrus smell. I wouldn't drink them all day but very light and refreshing to wash down a gourmet burger and fries.I would love to try this on tap, i would imagine it would make the experience even better.

01-25-2014 17:43:43 | More by Jmayhaus
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I have had this beer on tap, but right now its out of a bottle. And just as good I might add. Open the bottle and its like you stepped into a hop field. Pours nice with a decent sticky head. Nice lacing throughout the drink. Floral, citricy, piney- its got it all, but I beleive its centennial? Correct me if Im wrong. Anyway, it tastes soooo fresh, freshest beer I have had in a long time, Im loving it. I dont know about drinking this all day long as I already have a buzz after 2. This is just a fantastic hop lovers dream. I love this beer, Bells is by far one of my favorite breweries. Mouthfeel is just under perfect, as it is light. But othe than that its VERY hard to do better than this beer. Outstanding. Love it.

01-25-2014 01:59:12 | More by Jay_Ulreich
Skullbussa

Kansas

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best gateway drug into the IPA world.

Mouthfeel and hoppyness are certainly well within the tolerances of the IPA-uninitiated but, even better, makes Two Hearted nicely suited for all-day drinkability, if you are so inclined.

A very mild floral fuses very well with the hop nature of this beer, masking the bite of the hops just well enough to "get you over" the IPA wall that stops many.

I rank this second only to O'Dell's IPA in terms of overall taste, this is ABSOLUTELY one of the very best beers you can drink of any type.

Very hard to find on tap outside of the northern midwest. I find very little difference between the bottled and draught examples I have tried, and I have tried many.

01-24-2014 17:31:47 | More by Skullbussa
Petey_the_Quiet

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally found this beer locally and it was on-tap! The appearance was light, very much in the IPA wheelhouse. The aroma was of floral notes and hoppy as is indicative of IPAs. The taste was the smoothest, most well balanced IPA I've yet to enjoy. Sometimes the hoppy characteristics can overpower an IPA, but not so with this brew. The mouthfeel was perfectly enjoyable, went down smooth. Could drink multiples of this beer without issue.

This beer should be on your 'want' list if you've not yet had it. Hell, it should be on your 'want' list for whenever you want a beer period. This brew hits the spot for sure.

01-24-2014 02:49:09 | More by Petey_the_Quiet
FeelinitNow

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tall clean glass.

A: A hazy orange/burgandy color with a sudsy viscous quality head

S: The predominant smell is lovely, a mix between grapefruit and pomegranate with other citrus fruit smells present. Other smells to note are: raisins, apple and pineapple.

T: Not overly sweet and very well balanced with the hop bitterness that rolls off the back of your tongue and stays with you for 10 seconds or so.

M: Slight carbonation that really compliments the beer as a whole. Also very creamy, nice touch!

O: There are so many quality factors you can feel as you drink this beer. It just stands way above quite a few beers and I'll definitely enjoy drinking this beer!

01-23-2014 20:00:58 | More by FeelinitNow
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.