Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,250 | Hads: 12,845
4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the beers that several years ago got me hooked on microbrews. Reviewing for first time on the occasion of my first time pouring it from a 16 oz. can. Then and now, I find it an almost perfect brew. It's hearty in its hop, consistent in body from initial mouthful to finish, great flavor in its mix of floral and pine, and very smooth. It's very worthy of its standard-setting rep. Delicious. (407 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very well-balanced for the style. This is one of my go-to beers when I can't decide or don't feel like trying something new. It's probably not going to win over the real hopoholics, but still a very nice smooth beer. I feel like it may be closer to an APA vs. an IPA, but we're splitting hairs there. The 7% is well-hidden, which can sneak up on you as these can go down quickly. (383 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

great american ale, hop filled without blowing you away with bitterness. easy to drink compared with other similar brews. a hint of grapefruit, pine, and floral hops on the back of the tongue, which is a nice feeling coming out the nose on the exhale. not the most complex or flavorful IPA I've had, but I don't think that's what it's going for. mild, smooth, full bodied ale. nice. will buy again this summer. (411 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle; checked date but forgot to write it down; was in-date. Threshold beer glass. Reviewed 10-18-14. (Re-reviewed 6-15-15).

Appearance: Medium-light copper, 1/2" off-white head. Very good retention and nice lacing.

Aroma: Resiny, piny hops. Some grapefruit rind, but not really a fruity IPA. Some maltiness in the background.

Taste: Dry, bitter, less malty than the nose, clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected; ample carbonation.

Overall: This was probably my first IPA, and is one I return to over and over. It is reliably a quality beer, but nothing about it ever knocks my socks off. Just a good, bitter, balanced, reliable IPA. I am not a hop head, and love this IPA; 7% is utterly hidden, malts are present and almost in balance. I will buy this beer again and again. (803 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark cloudy orange, white creamy head, lots of lacing, some carbonation coming of the bottom.

A: Grapefruit right on the nose, slight pine, no alcohol.

T: Like the nose, grapefruit citrus bitterness, slight pine, strong malt presence on the backend, pretty balanced, bitterness lingers.

M: More than a medium mouthfeel, heavier than any IPA I have ever tried, finishing dry.

O: Pretty good, for an IPA this is really balanced, I was expecting more hops but the hop characteristics are fleeting then you get a nice malt presence on the backend. Very juicy, I like my IPAs with a little more bite at the front, I would not pass this beer up but I think there are better IPAs especially in California. (706 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a tumbler from a 12 oz bottle.

Color is hazy gold with a thick white head. Retention and lacing are both good. Smell is piney and citric. Smells good! Just a hint of sweetness and alcohol as well. Taste is pine and citrus on the palate that is quickly balanced by some caramel malt flavor. Finish is pleasantly bitter and clean. Body is medium with good carbonation. Overall, a very good IPA that I wish I could get on a more regular basis. (461 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being from Michigan, this beer is widely available. As such, this is probably the craft beer I drink most often. I consider it my old standby. Can't decide? In a hurry? Want to catch a buzz quick? Two hearted is always a good choice. It is quite hoppy, but crisp and delicious. The high ABV will catch up with you, but maybe that's one of the reasons it's so appealing? (370 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer! It is the right mix of affordability, accessibility, and flavor! If you are looking to enter the world of craft beer tasting, Two Hearted is the perfect introduction! (184 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

One of the best IPAs for a reason. The hype is real. This is my go to beer since they have it at Costco now in MI for $32/case. Excellent hops flavor and aroma. Still like hopslam better but this a a great all-around IPA. (221 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've had this beer several times. First time lives it but every time I have tried it since then it disappoints. I don't understand the hype. Did not seem well balanced at all. Just slightly boozy and earthy bitterness. Aroma was ok - maybe slightly floral. And I love IPAs. I'd probably give it another chance if offered but I won't pay for it again. There are much better IPAs out there. (388 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 4/5
Cloudy orange, with several fingers of slightly off-white head.

Smell - 3.75/5
Slightly sweet pine aroma with hints of resin

Taste - 4.5/5
Pine hops, but well-balanced with the malts, making this a very well-balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied. Medium amount of light-medium intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4.25/5
Truly a great IPA. (362 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I have tried about 5 times to like this beer that everyone likes, but just can't do it. Not for me I guess... Looks good, smells good, but to me tastes like nothing. (167 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle, drank from a tulip.

A: Pours a rich golden color with a white foamy head.

S: Floral with a hint of apple. No change in smell over time.

T: Floral again but not overly hoppy, and again some apple notes are noticed.

M: Medium body, and heavier than I would imagine from the sight and smell. No real alcohol flavor from the 7.0% ABV either.

D: No surprises here in flavor. It tastes just like it smells with no complex layers that I can discern. I don’t say that in a bad way, though. The beer wasn’t heavy but heavier than I imagined and it rounds off the fruity taste nicely. (608 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks like an IPA should. Deep amber. Lightly filtered. Off-white head, blend of fine & big bubbles.

Not a big bouquet, which suits me fine. Nothing off about it. Hints of apricot.

Really nice flavor. Big hit of bitter apricots. Finish is nice, but not especially long. I drink double IPAs 4:1 over single, so I had to moderate my expectations there.

Lovely mouthfeel. Moderately rich.

This beer comes together will great integrity, more than the sum of its parts. I'd always be happy drinking one of these. (511 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First American IPA I've ever had that I actually enjoyed. It is very drinkable to the point of almost being scary at 7% abv. I never cared for the super bitter beers which is typical in an IPA. I just wish there were more IPA's like this. (238 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy orange color with sticky lace.. A/T pale malt, candy gummy fruit, popcorn, orange, flowery, little pine or even much bitterness.. Medium body.. Really great beer so fruity and floral it almost could pass as a fruit beer. (227 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't care for IPA. That's what I always used to say when someone offered; I never seek out this style. I've tried several IPA style beers over the last 25 years and while some were notable, I never found anything enjoyable enough to purchase regularly. A friend poured a glass of Two Hearted Ale for me a couple weeks ago. My opinion has changed since that day and I've actually sought out other beers of this style since. My subjective opinion of Bell's Two Hearted Ale:

A: Light amber, unfiltered, beautiful in the sunlight. Produced one finger of light ivory head when poured into an American pint glass; dissipated quickly. Slight lacing that diminished with each sip.

S: Moderately pungent hops, floral, grapefruit zest, ester, sweet malt. All of these elements give a wonderful perfume like fragrance.

T: Grapefruit, citrus, mild piney-ester, slightly sweet malt, faint yeast, with a pleasant bitter-hop finish. Forward hops but not overpowering. It's not all hops; there's allot, but the subtle flavors in the background temper the hops . You're not simply punched in the face with hops. I tasted the sweet malt and faint yeast that I didn't identify (as much) in the smell.

M: Medium body, slightly oily, on the moderate side of carbonation; works well with the hop forward character, little alcohol bite

I tend to stick with what I know. I joined this site to break free from that routine, so I suppose it's fitting that my first review is the polar opposite from my usual hefeweizens, porters, lagers, Belgium style ales, comfort zone go-to beers. Perhaps in middle age my palate has changed. Regardless, this beer's a winner. Pleasantly surprised. (1,673 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

Finally got to try this in California. I'm a west coast punch you in the mouth hop head, but I do enjoy an everyday single IPA, as well. As far as that style goes this is a good IPA but I'm not blown away. Heavy on the grass and pine flavors with a bit more of a malt backing than say a Lagunitas single. Some grapefruit and tropical notes present on the nose and taste but not at the forefront. Definitely a beer I would go back to on draught but not on my radar anymore, living on the west coast. (498 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #74 (Mar 2013):

Still one of the most talked about beers in the US, its notoriety and cult-like following amongst hopheads attests to it greatness. And despite much change in the IPA world over the last decade, Two Hearted is still an IPA to reckon with thanks to its delicious hop-centric blend, balance and sheer drinkability.

STYLE: American IPA
ABV: 7.0%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Hazed golden amber, epic head

SMELL: Orange zest, dried grass, crackers, passion fruit, estery, grapefruit pulp, yeast

TASTE: Deep smoothness, medium bodied, oily hoppiness, orangey, bready, nutty yeast, peppery, leafy, floral, semi-pungent bitterness, slightly dry finish (694 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

A: Very clear, straw colored/orange, with a thin white head that travels with the beer. Some light lacing.

S: Smells like a meadow I guess? Slightly citrusy and definitely some malt.

T: On the malty side with some floral and orange notes. Maybe its just the description but I also get a little bit of resiny flavor. Not overly bitter or anything, but there is a grapefruit bitterness towards the end.

F: Good carbonation, goes down very easily. Finishes very dry with a bit of hop bitterness. Tastes fade very quickly. Slightly more than medium bodied.

O: Pretty awesome. Glad I was able to trade for some of this. (662 characters)

Apperance: hazy golden/orangy with a couple fingers of white head

Smell: orange citrus flower (I know that sounds weird but that's the best way to describe the aroma of this brew)

Taste: Lightly, hoppy, smooth enjoyable. The 7% alcohol is very well hidden. A very nice moderately hoppy ipa. Not a Stone but not a Rebel IPA. Somewhere in between. A nice introduction to IPAs for the less informed.

Feel: medium body and smooth

Overall: a solid IPA albeit on the smoother/softer side of the spectrum. Definitely get this again if I can find it. (this was actually a bit tricky to find on the West Coast) (614 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(Draft, The Refinery, Newhall, CA 2/28/15) Wonderful bouquet-of-flowers aroma. Really enjoyed this beer, but not for the typical reasons. Very unique. (150 characters)

Easily the worst "IPA" I've ever tasted...if you can actually call it an IPA. Has about as much hops and character as a Bass ale. I am flummoxed as to how this beer is so sought after and over hyped. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is FAR more enjoyable simply because you don't have the preconceived notion that it's supposed to blow your mind. On a 100 point scale, I'd say this is respectfully deserving of 75, and that's generous. Can't say enough bad things about it, so I'll stop. Sorry, but I highly recommend looking elsewhere, anywhere. (536 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 12/17/2014. Sampled and reviewed on February 25, 2015.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Pours a cloudy orange-gold with a 1.5 finger head of white foam. Big hiss when I popped the cap; always a good sign. Consistent lacing all the way through. Smells like a bouquet of flowers. Very floral aroma, along with hops, citrus, orange, and lemon. Slightly heavier-bodied than I expected for an IPA, but nice mouthfeel. Taste is about the same as smell - strong hop presence, which surprised me. This beer is over 2 months old but is as fresh as any I've had. Strong presence of citrus, orange, lemon. I also detect some spices in there. Surprisingly sweet for an IPA. Aftertaste is hoppy with some orange peel.

As I finish this review, I'm on my third one, so it's very drinkable and very refreshing. Maybe not quite the IPA I'd hoped for, given all the hype. But a solid IPA for sure. Fortunately Bell's is easy to find in my neck of the woods, so I'll be buying this one again. (1,021 characters)

Was a little disappointed with this one after hearing all the build-up. Maybe because I'm a west coaster I found this a little dull. Much prefer PtE or Alpine, Moylan's, Green Flash even Dirt Wolf. (197 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.