Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,398 | Ratings: 13,614
3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Intro: 12 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Thin head, less than a finger's width that does not stick at all, honey colored, slightly cloudy.

Smell: Can smell the hops, but not very strong, one dimensional.

Taste: Bitter or maybe slightly stale after taste but good hoppy tone and dryness to it.

Mouthfeel: Dry feel with a strong after taste, low carbonation.

Drink: Somewhat under whelmed in general, but would be a good starter beer for introduction to APA/IPAs.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

First of all, I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but being a sport, I try everything.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy light brown with an orange tinge. The head was white and foamy with lacing to the end of the beer. I like the smell, it's flowery. The taste was bitter I definitely didn't like the aftertaste. It was a little less bitter when it was warmer. The mouthfeel was good, it went down easily, normal carbonation and relatively light. Again, I'm not a fan of IPAs, and I most likely won't have another one of these.

5/24/04: Wrong, I had another.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Huge, nearly 4 finger head. Creamy and pillowy. Hangs around for a very long time, receding to quarter inch thick cap, and lots of sticky lacing. VERY nice. The only thing keeping this from a 5.0 was the haziness...why hazy?

S - Typical IPA. Full range of floral/spicy/earthy/citrus hops with focus on the citrus aspects, mostly lemon and orange. Vague malt pulls through as well.

T - Quite dry without the early to mid-palate sweetness of most IPAs. The hops are there, but only play a small role. Some floral aspects are present, but it quickly moves into citrus peel and intense bitterness with uninteresting malts. For such an otherwise impressive beer, the taste is quite bland and off balance. The taste that is there isn't focused on enough, and it's also a poor example of a "well-hopped beer." It's just sort of weird with the citric bitterness playing the main role.

M - A little thicker and less carbonated than I'd prefer, especially with this brew's focus on citric elements.

D - It's not all that interesting of a beer, and to boot, it's unbalanced and all over the place. Probably a great IPA for some, but not me. The appearance and generally decent IPA aroma are the brew's best qualities.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Well this is quite a beautiful IPA. Semi-translucent Rusty-orange-amber body that pours with an impressive 3 finger foamy off-white head. Head fades slowly to one finger and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Quite promising. A beautiful bouquet of hops with a citrus aroma upfront and pine, floral, and grassy mixing well in the background.

T- Initial flavor is mild and highlights a balance of citrus and grassy hop flavor. Floral and pine hop flavor seem to mix well for the finish-with the floral hop flavor being semi-dominant. A blast of hop bitterness also enters for the finish. All that lingers is a medium strength resonance of hop bitterness. All the beautiful hop flavors are gone.

M- Medium to high carbonation and mildly oily body.

D- After having great IPAs like Alesmith, Racer 5, Centennial, and SN Anniversary this one doesn't even compare to me. Its not bad-and I can certainly drink it but is only an average IPA to me. I was somewhat disappointed because it could not compare.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

See the beer in action over on my blog. Just copy and paste the address below into your browser.

Packaging

The dead looking fish on the front can somewhat turn me off from wanting to pick this beer up off the shelf. However, the colors are nice and classic with a nice looking design. The text is informative and attempts to be inspiring, but feels a bit to classic for me. Finding the ABV and that its an American IPA before picking it up helps me to decide that I'd like to try this beer.

Appearance

A deep golden hue with lots of carbonation comes off this beer instantly. The head is fluffy like a cloud and laces the glass for pretty much the length of the drinking session.

Smell

It starts hoppy, but slowly becomes a sweeter as time passes. Upon smelling it a few times I can really start to smell a yeasty fruitiness in my nose.

Taste

The first drink attacks my tongue with an intense army of little acids that are digging out my taste buds and kicking them around my mouth. After that initial drink, things calm down and balance out a little more. However, I am surprised by the amount of sweetness that carries throughout this beer. I can't pin point if its all malt of divided in half with the hops.

Mouthfeel

A medium bodied mouth feel. It definitely has some body and carbonation. It doesn't stick to the inside of my mouth, teeth or ribs at all. Very smooth.

Drinkability

Some people think I shouldn't "down" my beers and just enjoy them. I agree somewhat, but I feel being able to finish off a beer quickly is a good test of drinkability. That being said, I think this beer definitely can be finished off quickly if you need to leave or something, but I don't think its a beer I would drink all night long. It just has a bit to much apparent sweetness for my preference.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Huge fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S - STRONG grapefruit, piney hops....and that is it. No balance at all.

T - Starts off with hops, kinda floral/soapy. Then it turns to a grapefruit pine and finishes w/ grapefruit...oh wait there is malt, waaay in the back.

M - Sharp carbination along with the hop bitterness.

D - A little too unbalanced. Good drinkability, but I believe there should be some balance.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright orange color and very clear, medium to light carbonation bubbles that give this one a bright white creamy and sticky head. Lace looks like it might stay around for the sunset.

Smell is mostly bready yeast and sweet malts. A bit of a bitter citrus smell covered in some caramel. I would say orange rind with cotton candy laced on top.

Taste is a lot like the smell. It hits the tongue with a mild biter punch and then mellows it out with a sugar sweetness. There is still quite a bit of bready yeast flavors of which I am not very fond of.

Mouth is a bit thin. I don't think this offering from Bell's stands up to other great IPA's.

Overall. I have had this many times in the past but haven't had the chance to review it. I found a sixer of batch 10337 (bottled April 20th 2011) and was so happy to have such a fresh offering, but I don't think this stands up to any high end IPA. Maybe I'm having an off night. I will save the other 5 for a later taste. If they are better then this one I edit my review accordingly.

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

I bought this beer as a single from Corks and Kegs in Richmond, VA - Packaged on 1-7-11 and drank on 1-11-11

I have had this beer before. I was not a fan, but then once I began to read the boards and the reviews I realized that this beer is a staple among IPA lovers so I thought that it would be in my (as well as Bells) best interest, in order to maintain integrity with my reviews to give it another shot just in case I got a funky one the first time. This one was very fresh.

Popped the cap on this after I had it sit for a few minutes to warm from being really cold in the fridge. It pours beautifully, it's a golden yellow that is very pure. The head is healthy and thick

Smells slightly of citrus, but (for me) is considerably overshadowed by some earthy pine. I usually love the piney tones in IPA's but there is too much earthyness in this for me

Taste was earthy as well, not bad at all just not my cup of tea.. er.. beer

Feels great and drinks great for a 7% beer but my main issue is the earthyness.

Chad

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz bottle. Thanks to LiquidBread219. No bottling dates.

A giant, rocky, off-white head explodes out of the bottle, leaving strata-like rings on the glass as it settles, which is a good amount of time. Golden amber body.

Lemon citrus hops, with some wood tones. Backbone of biscuit malts. A little touch of tropical fruit sweetness.

Sweet lemon, which reminds me of lemon Trix in a weird, but good, way. Dry, bready malts mid-palate. Sets up an earthy, woody, hop finish. Not very bitter at first, but the bitterness slowly creeps on, leaving a piney flavor in the mouth. A slight honey flavor starts to develop as the beer warms. Lots of carbonation leads to a very crisp drink.

I've been waiting a while to try this, and I have to admit, it didn't knock my socks off. That said, it is an enjoyable IPA, and I would never mind having one.

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: Nothing remarkable. Decent foam head. Although dissipated rapidly. Nice color, typical for the style. Fine.

Smell: Huge hop nose. Slightly intimidating. I was prepared for a hop soup, not necessarily in a good way.

Taste: All hop up front, slightly overwhelming. A bit heavy handed to me. Not a lot of nuance. Bitterness follows through finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, well carbonated. Fine for the style.

Overall: It's a hop bomb. If that's your thing, it's your beer. Any nuance in malt character or secondary qualities are buried in the bitterness. There are some pleasant floral and citrusy notes in there, too. I couldn't drink more than one of these.

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Two Hearts is a dry bitter hoppy style of beer that I just don't favor. I am sweeter malty guy. This has a little citrus that improves the flavor. It has some quality in my estimation. I think an IPA lover probably would really enjoy this. Two Hearts is a dry bitter hoppy style of beer that I just don't favor. I am sweeter malty guy. This has a little citrus that improves the flavor. It has some quality in my estimation. I think an IPA lover might enjoy this.

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date or batch number.

cloudy amber with a big rocky head that dissipated to nothing as the beer warmed in my glass. the only lace is at the very top of the glass.

smell is overwhelmingly citrus/flowery hops.

Taste is, well, like i am chewing on some hop flowers. Not alot of malt to balance it out. It is almost "west coast" hop heavy.

It seems carbonated enough to drink if you drink it fast.. not a sipper, the hops are too bitter to sip it.

i think it needs more malt to help with the balance and improve drinkability. I managed to finish one, but i dont want another.

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Disclaimer: I'll probably get stoned for writing this review as it wasn't 100% favorable, but I'm just reporting what I drank. I understand that an IPA should be consumed fresh and that the bottle I had was old. Almost a year old. But I'll update the review once I get a fresh bottle/draft sometime.

Serving- Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper top that swirled and tornadoed down into the bottom of the glass where it blended lazily with a light gold. Visible floating hop residue floating within. Took about 5 minutes to equalize and stabilize into one color. The separation had me concerned from the beginning as to the freshness of the beer. The beer is well carbonated. There is white lace all over the glass.

Nose- Subdued, earthy hops and malt. Nothing jumped out here or was very exciting. Again, this made me wonder how fresh it was and, to my dismay, I saw I had a bottle that was 9 months old! There were possibly notes of cider which, especially as a home brewer, got me concerned. The finish on the aroma was of warm apples.

Taste- Yeah, very earthy, herbal bitterness with malt. Some toasty bread in there and was pretty yeasty. At this point I'm bummed I got an old one. Everyone swears by this.

Overall- I think I did myself a great injustice by not checking the date on the bottle in the store. Normally with all the bombers I buy this is something I check. However, this one I purchased as a single 12 oz and it, obviously, had been sitting on the shelf a while. I believe this is a bottle conditioned beer as it had the hop residue and hazy appearance. I normally love this in a beer but this is an old IPA. No glory here. Overall it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't living up to its potential and certainly drank/smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. I was disappointed. If this is what it really tastes like than I would not willingly seek this out again. If I get a fresh one sometime I'll be sure to update my review to reflect my findings.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

12 oz, batch 8752 bottled 9/16/08, let it warm for a while out of the fridge.

Pours with a huge head, looks like whipped egg whites, settles slowly into a perfect formed head. Quite concave, like a satellite dish. Good lacing. Nice cloudy dark peach color, brew appears totally still, otherwise would be a 5... lacing on the sides of the glass is out of control.

Smell is a mix of pine resin and citrus. A varied hop profile. Malts are light and sweet, a bile note sneaks in from somewhere though as it warms...

Taste is tough to pin down. Definitely bitter but not abrasive, the hops are not as nuanced as in the smell, just straight centennial. Much drier than expected. Straight pale malts don't make the best complement to the hops. Lots of pine resin.

Finish is dry. Sticky and full-bodied, perhaps a little too much so.

I was still finding new tastes when I finished the glass and the alcohol is well-hidden, will happily continue drinking this when I can get it. Above average.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Opening with a sweet apricot aroma and a orange presence accompanied with chalky foam, this IPA matches a hefeweizen's sweetness with a big blast of hops, which works considerably well... most of the time.
This floral little beer invigorates the tastebuds with scintillating hop undertones and the bitterness of orange peel and lemon, which is an intriguing combination but not a completely satisfying one. It'll make a hop addict yearn for the close, but a wheat beer aficionado will be confused by the bitter aftertaste. I, myself, wanted something more along the lines of an Arrogant Bastard or Nugget Nectar, while this strange little brew left me confused and distracted.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Has a nice orange color to it which is what I would expect. The hops are present in the bittering department but they seem to be lacking in the aroma. I'm tasting a little sweetness that doesn't really seem to belong there. Overall, I'd say it's a decent beer but not something that I would seek out. If it were offered to me or available for $1 a bottle, I'd drink it again.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Appearance is a funky orange fluid with a heavy carbonated head of one inch that slowly falls leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell is fresh cut hops that are also followed by a malty goodness. Alittle oil scent as well.

Taste is off balance. I taste metals, sulfer, hops and malt.. in that order... wierd. Try again... this time left alittle foam on my upper lip but still has the same taste with lingering after taste.

M-D- When it comes down to mouthfeel and drinkability i love all ipas and will forever. But for this one it leaves me wandering what went wrong.
M- Not the smoothest beer and leaves mouth feeling dry and unsatisfied.
D- Will have again not sure when.

...its ok...
the overall flavor is tubby...sorry...but that is the only adjective I can think to describe this beer...
Mind you...I am drinking from the bottle...
...a little disappointed...

Got on-tap at Blue Door Pub

Visual: Gold in color, no head, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Was hard for me to get a good smell, not sure if it was the beer or the atmosphere, but I picked up bits of lemon and toasted malt.

Taste: Nuts, earth, grass, and lemon rind. Hops finish dry in yo mouth.

Mouth: Average, medium body, normal carbonation for an ipa.

Drunkability: Wouldn't have a problem tipping a few of these back but it would not be my first choice for an ipa. The taste is missing something, just a bit too dull maybe.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

On tap at McGrath's pub in Harrisburg.

Pours a cloudy golden wheat. Looks almost like w Hefe except there's no head to speak of. Nose is hoppy with a light citrus note.

Taste is quite bitter with a real harsh finish. There is some more of these fruity and citrusy notes as well in the taste. Mouthfeel is fairly cram and sharp. Somewhat hard to drink just because it's so harsh. This is an ipa that would improve with age.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours with a solid finger of head. A light burnt orange color to the brew. Below average carbonation active in the glass while drinking. Sticky rings of lacing left at each level of the beer.

Smell: The front is a citrus heavy aroma with main accents of oranges, tangerines, and pine. The malt adds a distinctive punch that again is heavy on the nose. The dominant tones of this beer seem to keep anything else in check from adding complexity to this brew. Very bold and straight forward.

Taste: Pretty much what I would have expected after the aroma with some added complexity. The front right away is a tasty bouquet of tropical fruits. The body is the heavy tones of bitter hops and thick malt. The finish returns with some tropical fruit tones and resin.

Mouthfeel: Pretty middle of the road. Decent floral tones with the malt and hops taking their toll on the palate.

Overall: I remember having this early in my craft career and not being impressed so I figured it was time to try it again. I'm not going to sit here and call it a shitty beer, just not an IPA made for my palate. Too heavy all around and not enough complexity with the hop profile.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz brown bottle with pry off cap poured in a pint glass. Purchased from Knightly Spirits in Orlando.

Pale orange-gold colour and just a little hazy. Off white head is 1/8 inch on the pour and recedes to a thin ring around the edge. Lots of carbonation streams.

Big juicy aroma of citrus hops and malt. Sweet with hints of pine and herbs in the background.

Big assault on the palate. Dominant hops throughout with just a touch of malt backbone. Malt makes a brief cameo in the middle. Strong bitter hops off the start and resurgent again at the finish. Grapefruit peel, pine needles and noble hop combination leave a puckering feeling at the end.

A little on the watery side for an ale. Oily feeling coats the mouth. Lots of carbonation scrubbing the taste buds.

I don't know what the big deal is about this beer. It's all hops with no balance at all. You get a little malt in the aroma, but it's all but non-existant in the taste. I'm not a fan of beers that lean too far away from balance and that makes this beer slightly above average at best.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange amber color with a blonde head.
Aroma: Malty sweet aroma.
Flavor: Full bodied roasted malt flavor.
Overall: The roasted malt flavor is up front. The brew ends with a smooth semi sweet bitterness. This is not a bad beer. It has a good malt grain base, but its missing that “umph” in flavor that would make it a great beer.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Pours an orangish amber with two fingers of thick, foamy head. Great retention. Citrus notes dominate the nose; orange peel, grapefruit, pineapple. Bready malt character, citrus hops, orange peel, pineapple with a nice hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is lighter than expected, smooth and crisp; an easily drinkable IPA.

This is a good IPA, but the fruitiness far exceeds the bitterness, and the malt character is a little thin for me.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Enjoyed at The Beer Bistro-West Loop in Chicago, IL. Served in a Bell's shaker pint glass.

Served with a two finger head and shows copper with orange accents. Good head retention, and splotchy lacing. Big floral and citrus aromas on the nose. Fairly bitter citrus-tinged hops are ever-present as is the biscuity malt bill. Finishes dry with citrus rind bitterness. Medium-bodied, well-carbonated, and smooth. Very drinkable, however the nose tends to promise much more depth to the flavor than is actually delivered. Certainly a very solid American IPA, but nothing groundbreaking. Still not among my top choices for go-to American IPAs

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.