Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,332 | Hads: 13,224
2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

I poured this hppy brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice golden color with a cloudy look. The beer smelled hoppy and was. It is great for what it is I'm sure and has a high rating, but I did not like it. Way to bitter for me and alcohol was right tight also. Not going to purchase this one again

2.82/5  rDev -33.8%

Served in a pint glass.

A-Much prettier than expected. A sweet orangey/pale yellow blend with a frothy head that certainly looks very intriguing.

S-Virtually non existent. Maybe some malt maybe some yeast but overall there was hardly anything there.

M- No real different than your average ale, a waxy texture is apparent that sticks to the mouth, but is neither welcoming nor dismissible.

T-Again not nearly worth the hype. Very weak body with hardly any lasting or enjoyable flavors.

O- I have had two hearted a couple of times before and remembered it as being far better than this batch, but the inconsistency of the brew will steer me clear of purchasing this again in the near future

2.87/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Cloudy rust color. Generates a 1 finger persistent head.

S: Slight floral and hop smells.

T: Hops and not much else. Nothing very powerful pushing through

M: Very easy going down - almost too easy. Like water.

O: My first sip made me think it was fairly weak for an IPA. That combined with the lack of a real presence in mouth feel left me slightly disappointed. I expected more depth and complexity for such a highly regarded IPA. It just didn't deliver for me.

* - As always - when I am this far "off" the norm I will try this again in the future and make sure I am comfortable with my review.

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

It's my birthday! I just review Expedition Stout and was really disappointed, but I'm hoping this one is as good as it's meant to be. Here you go, Bell's, this is your second chance. Bottled 08/29/12. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I've hearing about this one for awhile. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger frothy creamy beige head of good thickness and retention. Colour is a murky copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like any standard IPA ought to.

Sm: Floral, pine, and citrus (lemon) notes - in that order. Light soap. Even a bit of bubblegum. There's some pleasant clean malts lurking beneath the hops. The soap concerns me (I've brewed my fair share of too-long-in-primary IPAs), but I'm hoping it's good. An average strength aroma.

T: Soap, clean malts, floral hops, more soap, some light grapefruit, and lemon on the finish. Imbalanced; the salty soap dominates. What's the hype about? Very underwhelming. It's clean, though, and it does hide its ABV well. No alcohol comes through. Definite salt on the climax; almost gose-esque.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and not quite refreshing. Suits the flavours alright.

Dr: Man, Bell's is pissing me off a bit. I don't get the hype about this brewery at all, and I've tried two of their higher rated brews. This one is so damn soapy it's hard to enjoy. Get rid of the soap and then we'll talk, Bell's. What a disappointment. Drinkable, but pedestrian at best.

I initially gave it a C-, but it does get better as it warms.

2.89/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Golden color with an exquisite aroma! This is what an IPA should smell like, strong hops and floral smell. However I was greatly disappointed in the taste, it lacked bitterness. It is very smooth, but it only smells like an IPA and doesn't not taste like one. I'll never drink this again. From the smell you think your having a great bitter IPA when it's actually extremely smooth.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

This was a surprise in a nice trade I did with joel6615. Thanks Joel!

From bottle to pint glass

A: Pours an opaque yellow-orange that forms tendrils of suspended yeast and carbonation. A frothy 2-inch head forms that leaves layers of lacing. This really has a sea-foam consistency.

S: Light citrus and pine with plenty of honey malts in the back. The citrus profile suggests notes of apple, along with the standard grapefruit-y scent.

T: Light, fruity, floral tones meet you at the front of the sip, combined with bitter grapefruit. Pine is almost non-existent. There's plenty of malt support, and the beer quickly takes on a bready quality, but the malts have a sugary sweetness that doesn't compliment the bitter tones. The lack of hop bite leaves the brew with a relatively stale quality. Although not cloying, the finish is strangely sweet for an IPA.

M: Rich, hearty and viscous, espeicially for a single IPA. Carbonation is spot on and helps wash away some of the residual sweetness.

Drinkability and notes: If I had this beer by itself, I probably wouldn't complain, but there are far better IPA's out there. It wasn't hard to drink , and, by itself, is somewhat refreshing, but the hop/malt balance is off. Given the BA popularity and rave reviews I was expecting more.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured very nicely with a perfect amount of head that stayed for a nice visit and laced well in the glass. Smell was of hops and citrus fruit and wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting. Taste was somewhat citrusy, hoppy, with a brief staccato in flavor, and finished with good bitterness and very light piney flavor. Mouthfeel was good and it was well carbonated. One was enough though and I won't pick this brew up again for a while.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

An off-white head sits atop a hazy yellow-orange brew. Smells of malts, subtle grapefruit and herb. Tastes grainy at the forefront, followed by some earthy hops, a dollop of sugar and a mild fruitiness. Smooth and light to medium bodied. Has a slightly creamy core, but remains dry overall. Not exactly what I was expecting form this one, but it drinks fairly well, so I can't complain too much.

2.98/5  rDev -30%

Golden hued with a decent head. The smell is decent with lots of citrus varieties, the hops definitely make themselves known. Carbonation is right on par.

The only problem is it tastes like I'm drinking a floral arrangement. I've heard lots of people use 'grapefruit' to define hop flavors but I've never tasted more than just hints of that until I had this beer, and my god is it pungent. There are hops all over the place, but it's just too flowery for my palate.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

A - hazy golden, quick to disappear head

S - Tropical fruits, pineapple juice, maybe a hint of flowers/pine, a little too much fruit-juicy sweetness for my liking

T - Astringently stinging citrus fruity bitterness, not quite balanced out by the malt character. A little less balanced than I would have thought from such a popular IPA.

M - medium to full body, syrupiness, stinging astringency, not great. A little alcohol boozy warmth noticed at the end of the finish.

Overall - A very tropical IPA. I'd like to have this one tap and fresh and see if it makes the cut. I've had it many times before but this is my first review. Definitely not a bad ipa and one I'm sure I'll have again, just not as astounding as its hype!

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Kind of a tint of hazy orange/yellow.

Aroma: The usual floral/hop mix.

Taste: Easy to drink with a mixture of hops and a bit of malty-creaminess.

Overall: I enjoyed this, but I have been spoiled lately drinking a ton of heady topper and Lawson's. As a single IPA, this is decent. But to me, it lacks that fruit bomb character that I enjoy. I guess I just enjoy DIPA's more. A decent IPA, but there are better American IPA's out there like Lagunita's Sculpin, Dogfish Head 90 minute, etc. Cheers!

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Starts balanced, sweetness in the background but hops dominate as this IPA is true to style. $1.89 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In.

Unfortunately this brew isn’t for me. Aroma was above par with floral/herbal notes. Yet there was something off setting with the flavor. Disappointing.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer.
This smells of IPA and initially it tastes of IPA with strong pink grapefruit and copper malt backbone... but then there's a little bite of fake-fruity-artificialsweetness... reminds me of Leiny's sunset wheat... almost like somebody dropped a shot of that in here... WHICH IS NOT a good thing... it really hits in the aftertaste and really turns me in the wrong direction on this beer...
I give it props for the taste up front... and for the fact that it completely hides it's alcohol content... in that aspect I'm not sure if I've ever had a 7%'er that didn't have some alcohol bite... but that off-put-taste of fake sweetener is just turning me off of this one and it will be my last.
traded a 6 pack of Dortmunder Gold for two bottles(one of these) and a grolwer of Highlands organic... great quantity trade but terrible 'taste' trade...
I'll leave the two-hearted on the shelf and go with the Columbus Pale Ale or Liberty Ale the next time...

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I have tried about 5 times to like this beer that everyone likes, but just can't do it. Not for me I guess... Looks good, smells good, but to me tastes like nothing.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow with a big white head.

Earthy, spicy.

Very subtle grapefruit, citrus not really there, very heavy on Simcoe. Definitely looking for something sweeter. Shrug.

Medium body, not that sharp or staining.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

Look: Hazy golden color
Smell: fresh, aroma of lighter fruits, a tad hoppy
Taste: hoppy, very hoppy. overpowers all the other tastes for me- citrus/honey/malty undertones
Aftertaste: hops....
Overall: I know people love this beer and it is really good for what it is (as others have stated) but it's just too strong in the hoppy/bitter area.

3.06/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The color of this beer is a really dark yellow. The aroma you get is a citrus smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it has a zing and tangy taste to it and the aftertaste is really unpleasant.

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fish hearts beating on the label lead us to a quite enjoyable beer.

Smells of vegetables. A strong and even hoppy flavor that does never get too bitter. Strong, hearty, river-forging brew. Crisp finish and no tastes lingering long. You can crack these forgetting the 7.1 abv, which is a plus.

3.09/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

$ 3.50/16 oz draft at Uno’s at Birch Run
Aroma weakly citrusy
Decapitated by bartender; remaining head small (< 1.5 cm), off white, creamy, diminishing to2 mm ring
Lacing good – Narrow rings of small bubbles
Body dark yellow, hazy
Flavor begins slightly bitter then fades to nothing; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly oily, lively carbonation

Very weakly flavored IPA, otherwise aroma, appearance, and palate all good.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Very average beer. I can't see why it is ranked this high overall. Not a strong taste, very generic. I think the cheap labeling makes it taste even more generic.

Nothing is bad about this beer, but nothing is that great either. It's worth trying, but just one.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

Every beer judged solely on its merits. But do you have to admit this is the ugliest label you’ve ever seen? Like some half-eaten fish floating in an e. coli laced Michigan swamplake.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Hazy, thin pennies, a wee bit watery. I’m not sure it’s strong enough to hold a meaningful head, even if it wanted to.

NOSE: Fruity sourdough and buttered popcorn. More fruit than hops, more malt than expected. Very decent.

MOUTH: Fickle beer, maybe deceptive. The start, it’s real nice. Sugared grapefruit and almond cake. But that gives way, a little too soon. Acerbic, canned paint, hand soap. Drink this one quickly.

BA Rating: 95

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured this american IPA out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pint glass. The AIPA poured a hazy golden color and produced a nice thick 2 finger width head. Head retention on this beer is excellent and the lacing is one of the best I have seen. The aroma is nice and hoppy, a little above average for an AIPA. There were some notes of citrus. The taste of the beer is a little watery- Its a little weak with the amount of malt. Light body, it makes it a very drinkable IPA but I dont really look for that in an IPA. After the thinness subsides, there is a pronounced hop bite, but it does not linger. The finish has hints of citrus and it is slightly dry. Overall there is nothing special about this beer- does not come close to my top ten list of IPAs. But hey..its not like Bells makes a Kolsh right?

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with fairly average amount of white head that disappears quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell-Citrusy in smell with a caramel backbone. A bit piney as wel.

Taste-Pretty straightforward. Grapefruit and other citrus notes with a decent malt backbone. Hops are abrasive. Lingering sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel-High carbonation, even too much. Medium body, not easy drinking, but not hard either.

Overall-Painfully average. I wanted to really like this beer. I got one once as an extra a few months back and didn't like it much then. Then bought a sixer of it while in Indiana for DLD and same result now.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.