Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,307 | Hads: 13,100
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This is one of my favorite beers. It is always better than solid; every time I drink it I am pleasantly surprised.

I haven't had it on tap since last year, in Chicago. I was understandably stoked when I saw this shiny new handle at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

A – Wow. Impressive. Hazy copper-orange hue, with one finger of white foam and huge chiffon-esque sheets of lacing. Amazing.

S – Floral and dank; this is a very aromatic brew. And so pleasantly exotic.

T – Dank, resiny, and piney; multifaceted hop flavor. This beer is so herbal, citric, and evergreen; the richness of flavor is also quite complex despite relying solely on hops. The malt backbone is an interesting rich bitter base, not caramel-y at all. Very enjoyable, and just about the top of the style.

M – IPA. Good. I hate describing a good IPAs feel. Not too thick or thin, syrupy or watery, prickly or flat.

D – Hell yeah. Probably best on-tap, too.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

had this saturday night at a restaurant in prescott az
was stoked to find it as we have no distribution from bells in my home state of Colorado
poured from a 120z bottle dated 7.15.15 into a pint glass
looks amber/ gold with a creamy head
smells citrus grape fruit
taste clean dry slightly citrusy not overly hoppy
feel is lighter than many ipa's i like with a dry crisp after taste
overall a very solid, dangerously drinkable ipa(i was able to limit myself to just 2 as it was my mothers 72nd bday and i was being a good boy) would drink again!!! bring bells to Colorado!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle to a standard shaker, May of 2012. This is one of those beers that you're just so used to being a great beer that you forget to give it credit. It pours an almost perfect orange like the flesh of a fresh orange with a little murkiness to give it a good mysteriousness. The head is off-white, big, and persistent, leaving huge cobwebs of oily lacing all over the glass. The nose is a burst of caramel sweet malt and crushed mango, lemons, and a little bit of a green pine cone as well. The taste follows perfectly, full of sweet fruity mangoes that makes you almost feel like you should have the juice running down your chin. The bittering is big, but not crushing and hangs around a long time as you drink this beer. Great feel with excellent carbonation. This is a great beer, just how an IPA should taste and the availability makes it a great go-to beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a word of warning, I have not always been the biggest of IPA drinkers. Over the past year or so I have gravitated towards dark beers with a lager or two sprinkled in, but with my shift further north I have decided to expand my palate a bit and give the bitter side of the family a solid few months of effort. That being said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale may be my favorite IPA of my limited experience. Its very floral hop forward with a strong citrus backbone.

One thing that seems to be common practice is the introduction of bittering agents. This one is much less bitter than something with such a strong hop infused flavor. Huge carbonation which helps to usher in that freshness factor IPA drinkers cherish so much. Nice sunflower color, poured a half finger head. Floral and grapefruit aroma. A little tropical fruit in there, maybe some mango? Smells sticky sweet and acidic. Deceptively pungent in the flavor department, almost saison-esque with the amount of flavor this little number packs in. Nice alcoholic burn in the aftertaste, wait for a second after the swallow and it creeps in.

Did I mention I love this IPA? Seriously, between this and Ten Fidy there isn't much room in my favorite unhyped not-limited beers club. Didn't have to fight to buy some and the price is right on target.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a single-finger, bone-white head that retains pretty nicely and leaves good lace on the glass. The ale is hazy golden color... surprisingly light for an IPA. The aroma smells purely of floral hoppy goodness.

The taste follows as you would expect: floral hoppy goodness with some citrus notes and an excellent malt backbone with just a touch of sweetness on the back end. The hops still linger long after I've swallowed. It has a solid medium body with good carbonation.

This beer defines "crisp and refreshing." It has an overwhelming hop presence, and yet is perfectly balanced. This is as good as IPAs get; despite the bitterness, I could session this beer all month. Wonderful.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours out fresh orange juice colourwith yeasty head, in my opinion, great looking beer

notes of orange hit first, then some yeasty funk and pine and cinnamon stick from the yeast

grapefruity and pine, bitter on the tongue with a sweet sensation finishes clean

medium mouthfeel with slight bitterness and not much aftertaste

great beer for me , the look and smell are just a tad better than the taste tho, but a must try

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Kalamazoo has been my second "home town" for 10 years...I've had the pleasure of drinking a lot of great Bell's beers over time, many of which right at their famed "Eccentric Cafe" in downtown Kalamazoo. Finally I'm properly reviewing their much-famed "Two Hearted" IPA. I'll be honest- this has been one of my "go-to IPAs" for years, so this will probably get a favorable score!

A: Pouring a half-finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly. Lacing is better than average, with unremarkable retention. The beer itself is a lovely, opaque orange/amber with carbonation bubbles faintly visible.

S: In a word: KILLER. Smells like an IPA should smell...grassy, pine, floral hoppiness with a caramel candy undertone.

T: Loads of pine, citrus rind, and a touch of that caramel malt to wrap up each sip. This is definitely the easiest drinking 7.0 ABV that I'm aware of. A superbly balanced American IPA flavor.

M: Dry, crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation- a text book example of how an IPA should feel while drinking...effortless!

O: Man, I'm really going to be hurting if I ever leave Kalamazoo...I have tried IPA after IPA and I always come back to Bell's Two Hearted, like a lost cat always finds their way home. It's definitely one of my Top 5 IPAs and an all-around reliable partner in crime. EVERY beer connoisseur should check this off their list at LEAST once!

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A 12 oz bottled poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat hazy apricot color. Nice two finger head that leaves a good looking film on top with a good amount of lace.

S - Wow - this smells amazing. Lots of rich pine and citrus notes. Very hoppy.

T - Delicious. Loads of hops. Lots of pine, a bit of sweetness, a bit bitter at the end, and everything one would want out of a big IPA. Goes down maybe a bit too smooth, but overall very nice.

M - A bit thin/watery at first, but opens up a lot mid-way. Leaves a bit to linger on my palate after each sip.

O - A wonderful IPA. I've seen this on the shelf at local grocery/liquor stores for a while but hadn't picked it up until today ... kicking myself that I didn't try this sooner.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle to tumbler.

Appearance - Lighter than most IPA's more golden-orange than dark amber. Nice big frothy 2 finger head that laces very nicely.

Smell - This beer smells phenomenal, there is not a much better smelling beer in my opinion. Flowery hops abundent along with nice citrus and pine notes. A bit of sweet detected and maybe a whiff of the malts. A tiny bit of alcohol makes it just right.

Taste- Tastes like it smells, and it smells wonderful. Very floral, earthy taste, nice citrus hops. Alcohol is apparent but it fits in nicely. The malts are sitting behind here, but can be tasted and balance this beer very well. Not overly bitter, bits of honey and sweet caught.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation here, just the right bite on the tongue, not overpowering here. Feels like silk.

Drinkability - Awesome drinkability, this is my go to beer. I buy it when fishing, working in the yard, etc etc. I could drink a 6-pack so easily.

One of my absolute favorite beers, there are few that top this IPA in my opinion.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A: After a hard pour, Clear amber/orange color with a pillowy off-white head. Lacing is great as this beer goes down.

S: Floral hops are abundant and fresh. Pine, citrus and some peppery notes to follow. Toasted and bready malts are in the background. The hops certainly stand out and are winning my olfactory senses over.

T: Spicy and crisp hop bite up front but not too bitter. Floral hop freshness is incredible. Almost a jasmine floral taste that blends in very well with this beer. A peppery finish to the hops.
Malt is lightly toasted and semi-sweet with some honey notes.

M: Medium body, crisp carbonation and a spicy, dry finish.

D: Super drinkable IPA, so much freshness and great flavor without becoming bitter and off balanced. One of my favorite IPA's of all time! It is so refreshing and easy going and I am not a hophead either.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Hazy goldenrod. Topped with one fat finger of sticky head.

S: Sweet citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit. Gorgeous.

T/M: Well-balanced, spicy, sweet beer. Same sweet grapefruit notes with solid malt underneath. Thick and syrupy. Mmm.

D: Love to drink this. Great beer whether it's hot or cold out. Easy to session all night, and easy to find on tap in the area so it's possible to do so.

Notes: Greatest of the great midwestern IPAs. Seek it out. Enjoy it.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a tulip. Appearance was a clear, coppered color body. 1 finger, white head. Good lacing.

Floral and citrusy. A touch spicey. Good maltiness and a bit caramely.

Taste was way more impressive than the aroma. Big citrus and floral flavors upfront. Turns to a caramel, bready and malty backbone. Finished with a light bitterness that was floral and a touch piney.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium carb and a crisp finish.

Overall this is a great beer. Highly drinkable and great flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a slight hazy orange color with a rocky white head that doesn't give up.

Pungent grapefruit, bready, perfumey floral, and caramel like aromas. Smells fresh and in your face. Beautiful.

Starts off with a hint of caramel that moves into huge perfumey floral flavor components (reminiscent of Stone's IPA) and ruby red grapefruit pulp. Some mild bubblegum. Plenty of dry bitterness in the finish.

This is an IPA man. I thought I would never say this but, this is an East Coast IPA that contends with the best from California. Highly recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally reviewing this, one of the best-known midwestern craft beers. Tasted it a few times, but always less fresh than I'd like, so I haven't reviewed it. Batch 11295, bottled 13 July 2012. Tasted 7 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours clear golden-orange, apple-juicy, with two fingers of gold-tinged head. Good retention, decent lacing.

Smell is fabulously hoppy. Big grapefruit and pine, with a very full caramel malt undercarriage. Very nice, and very inviting.

Taste shows me those sweet malts again, providing a perfect base on which the mid-level hop bitterness rises and falls. Finishes mildly bitter, as the hops gently drift away. Taste is quite a bit better than the average IPA, thanks to striking just the right balance between bitter and sweet. Yum.

Mouthfeel is on the chewy side, with a resinous sticky feel. Lingering, persistent, and moderately dry in the finish. Good stuff.

This is a top-notch IPA, and I'm impressed. Sure to become one of my stand-bys.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This has been on my must-review list for some time. I finally picked up a bottle at Fathead's in the southside of Pittsburgh. It poured a pale gold, somewhere between hazy and clear. Not mirky but not transparent. Interesting. It had a foamy white head and left some of the most impressive lacing about the glass I've seen in an American micro. It lasted 'til the beer was gone.
Lovely aroma; hoppy but it wasn't that kick-in-the-face bitter hoppiness. More of a pleasant bouquet. You could almost taste a sweetness to the beer just by smelling it. Also a dry or wheaty smell comes through. Not much malt presence.
There is a complexity to this beer I rarely find. It was hoppy, yes, but damn it was so much more. Look past the hops (if you can) and you discovera world of subtelty; vanilla, sweet fruits, possible roasted malts? Theres more here than meets the eye.
The feel was much of the same; exquisite. A smoothness rarely found with an IPA. It wasn't harsh at all, but not weak. It was semi-full-bodied, but more smooth and creamy. The bittersweet hoppiness fades into a smooth creaminess then into an almost buttery aftertaste that lingers the whole sitting. I'm going out on a limb and saying this might be the top two or three most drinkable IPAs I've ever had. And this is definitely an IPA for people who can't tolerate the bitter hop assault of "normal" IPAs or doubles IPAs. Hats off, Bell's. This is truly a wonderfully crafted, nearly perfectly balanced beer.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

The aroma of this beer hits you the moment you begin to pour it. It pours a lovely somewhat hazy peach-tinged pale orange gold. Paler than I expected, with a nice creamy white two finger head which faded quickly to a thin covering that actually rebuilds when the glass is agitated. Lacing was minimal but present.

The aroma as I said hits you right away, big, citrusy, floral and even hoppily bitter. It's the stongest aroma from any beer I've tried yet. I smelled oranges, grapefruit, tangerines and even peach all in a big floral hoppy breath.

As it warms the taste takes off. There is a big bitter hoppy presence on the finish but the strong malt backbone balances it perfectly. The flavor of grapefruit and citrus dominates but not in a bad way, all the flavors blend in a wonderful balance, from the strong pale malt backbone (perhaps a bit biscuity) to the big citrusy hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is also the creamiest of any beer I've had yet. It's medium bodied with a fine carbonation. Smooth and perhaps slick as well.

This beer grows on me the more I drink it. It's very different from other IPAs I've had, and that's a good thing. Variety and quality is what good beer is all about. This beer is also strong but the alcohol is completely invisible, which is a nod to the the craft that went into brewing this beer. Highly recomended!

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy orange color with sticky lace.. A/T pale malt, candy gummy fruit, popcorn, orange, flowery, little pine or even much bitterness.. Medium body.. Really great beer so fruity and floral it almost could pass as a fruit beer.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: light orange with fluffy white head that laced the glass throughout the session

S: Nice citrus and fruit with some pine

T: refreshing hop balance, citrus and slight bitter after taste

M: Good level of carbonation that persisted

O: a beyond solid IPA and highly sessionable and regular in my fridge rotation

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a gorgeous hazy orange golden color with a huge-superfrothy head. Aroma is super super SUPER FRESH and citric! This is one incredibly doughy and yeasty brew. Flavor is very similar, soooo doughy. The more you sip the more bitter it gets. Citrus and pine flavor stays tough throughout. This is fairly dry. Feel is super chewy, creamy and full.

I wish this stuff was distributed up here.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours a yellow golden color with a full white head about 1" thick. It settles to a small head over the top leaving a heavy lace around the sides of the glass as it dissipates.
The floral hop aroma is exceptional! This is one of the best smelling beers I've found. It makes you want to keep going back for another whiff.
A full, chewy mouth feel.
Very well balanced. Full bodied malt to go with the citrus, grapefruit bitterness of the hops.
This beer is hard to beat. The only thing better would be more of the same. The name "HopSlam" comes to mind!

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Poured this cloudy sunset brew with a larger snowy head brew into a Bell's anniversary pint glass. Lots of sporatic lacing, carbonation bubbles, and a touch of sediment.

S - Pine, Citris, Apple. Anxious to dive in.

T - Biscuity with sweet fruits, bananna, and mild nut flavors. NW hop finish. Well balanced and extraordinarily crisp. Alcohol present but no dominant. Everything I want out of an IPA

M - Creamy, smmoth, perfectly carbonated.

Unique in a good way. As good as an IPA can get.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at Flying Saucer in Raleigh.

The beer goddess brought out a pretty standard looking IPA with a golden orange hue and a thick white head that left decent lacing. The aroma was fantastic...uber-foresty hops mixed with citrus, mango, bubble gum, and a hint of the sticky icky.

Taste spikes a balance of fruit and hops. Orange, plum, peach, mango, and apple cidar. The carbonation levels were great, and the mouthfeel was juicy & crisp: flat out amazing. A nice hoppy aftertaste lingered, but not so long that is frazzled the tastebuds. Drinkability is top notch; goes down smooth and has plenty of taste and complexity. Solid IPA, Bell's.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice golden yellow/amber color with a thick white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lace on the glass. You can count how many sips you have taken by the number of rings on the glass.

The aroma is very nice and complex, floral is the first thing that comes to mind, with a little citrus and pine. Even a little fruity, there is a lot going on here, it is best enjoyed in a glass such as a tulip that concentrates the aroma as you drink.

The taste is what all IPA's should taste like in my opinion. Crisp and lite but still complex, dry and hoppy on the finish. Smooth for an IPA. A beginner might shy away at first but a developed palate will really appreciate the complexity.

Very drinkable, smooth and goes down easy, high carbonation but it allows the flavor to come out.

One of my favorite beers from one of the mid-west's best breweries.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours golden orange with creamy fluffy white head. Head retention is great and some lacing is left

Smell is wonderful. Citrus grapefruit hops and floral grassy hops mix to create an awesome aroma. i could smell this all day long.

Taste is amazing. Dry and spicy hops up front. Citrus tones reveal as it goes down. There is a hoppy bitterness to the brew but it is remarkable balanced. Slight sweetness to the brew.

Mouthfeel is dry and crisp. The carbonation matches perfectly.

Very drinkable especially a 7.0% abv. Wonderful brew. One of my all time favorites.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.