Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,401 | Ratings: 13,623
4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a hazy golden amber hue. Nice 2 finger head with great lacing. The smell is not overpowering on grapefruit. Taste is grapefruit and piney w a smooth, slightly bitter finish. Pretty well balanced. An easy drinking and delicious beer. Bells, I wish I could get this in NJ!

4.56/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A- Nice amber, sandy color, transluscent, yet clear. The one-finger head doesn't last long, but the bubbly collar clings.

S- Killer hop aroma, equal parts dry pellets and juicy citrus. Reminds me of what a tangerine orchard would smell like at the first blossom of the year, with a bit of piney, grassy bite. Hints of sugary malts run right to the top of the nasal cavity. This is one of the best there is.

T- Definitely driven by the hops, but these hops create some complex flavors. The hints of citrus are still there, but the flavor doesn't exhibit quite the sweetness of the aroma. There's a bit of a cough syrup flavor hidden in there. If you like your hops bitter, you can find it here, but the balance here ensures you don't leave with a bitter look on your face.

M- A nice, smooth, creamy carbonation (almost like a Boddington's or Guinness) without that sharp edge that some of the more bubbly beers display.

D- Awesome at home for a single during the week, even better out at McShea's on draft for an extended drink.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Merlin's Rest.

This is a big, fat, juicy IPA with fruity, resinous hops galore resting on a bed of sweet malt. A serious IPA for serious IPA fans.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: I poured it into a pint glass, and the head just billowed up- a good, thick two-finger head. It stayed for quite some time. Not super-hazy, but enough to qualify it as "opaque".

S: About what you'd expect from an IPA- flowery, with lots of citrus. I'm detecting lemon, melon, and other tropical fruits. I'm used to lemony scents from IPAs, but this one has something different- it's the distinct melon I'm getting from the nose.

T:Very "clean" tasting, lots of citrus at the beginning. As it moves back through your mouth, the lemon becomes more pronounced. It's not as strong in the melon as I was expecting based upon the smell, however. The ending is quite bitter, but not a much as some IPA's I've tried. I think it's a good thing, as the bitterness doesn't dilute the other flavours.

M: Not as thick as other IPA's, but very clean and refreshing. The lingering, subtle bitterness is quite welcome.

D: Very, very smooth- excellent drinkability.

Overall, fabulous IPA- what else would you expect from Bell's?

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nice amber color, slightly cloudy, with nice lacing.
Citrus and pine aromas dominate.
Wow, a wonderful balance of malt and hop flavors. Juicy citrus and floral hop flavors lead to a slightly sweet but very smooth finish.
Easy drinking with just the right amount of carbonation.
Exceeded my expectations. Definitely one of my favorite IPAs.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I got this as a single at UJ's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. Date stamped on the label.

Pours a hazy gold with a slight orange tint. A big two fingered head of off-white foam forms on top, falling to a nice coating and a ring, with great lacing.

Aroma is grassy/citrusy hops, some pine needles, and clean, freshly baked biscuits, and caramel. This beer smells wonderful!

The first flavor is strong citrus/grassy hops, with notes of lemon and mowed lawn. There is a really good biscuity malt base to back up the hops, and a pretty big hop bitterness. Now I know why so many people like this beer! Aftertaste is floral and grassy, with a lingering bitterness and a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, a very nice texture for an IPA. Carbonation is soft, and the finish is long and bitter at your throat.

This has to be one of the top five IPA's in the country. Smooth, delicious, very well balanced, with a great hop character. Awesome in every way. Can't detect alcohol, even as it warms. Highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- a light golden color, with about a one inch white foamy head.

S- pine and citrus, along with some hops

T- Wow this is good, has a nice bitter bite up front with the pine and hops coming through. Then finishes smooth and crisp with a nice clean citrus end.

M- definitely leaves a nice puckering of the cheeks.

I really like this beer. I had heard good things and this one lived up to the hype. Drinkabiltiy would be higher but after a 4-5 of these you'd be gone.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Pours a hazy gold color with plenty of visible carbonation and topped by a thin, white head that leaves plenty of lacing behind.

Aroma:
It's intoxicating! A sweet, malty base supports tons of citrus. Not much here in the way of hops except for faint pine notes.

Taste:
Simply put?.. Epic! Up front, you're treated to a bouquet of sweet, tropical fruit and a bit of malt that concludes with the perfect amount of bitterness and some grassy hoppy goodness. Incredibly balanced. Incredibly delicious!

Mouthfeel:
Despite its presentation, there is hardly any noticeable carbonation from this medium-bodied beer.

Overall:
This is a personal favorite of mine and a frequent visitor to the shelves of my fridge. It should be a frequent in yours too!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Trying to ween myself into more hoppy beers, let's see how it goes.

Pours a pretty goldenrod yellow with a finger of white frothy head and excellent lacing. Smell is extremely floral/herbal hops, some light tropical fruits and a faint hint of malt. Taste is more of the same, this is certainly the hoppiest beer I've ever tried, which isn't saying much, but it hit my tongue pretty hard. As it warmed it became significantly more balanced, however, with the malt bill balancing out the extreme hops. I can see why hopheads would worship this beer, it has a lot going for it, but I don't think I'm quite there yet, still glad I tried this, I will certainly revisit it when I think my palate is a little more mature.

Update: So young, so naive...This has become my hop-craving stand-by. So expertly crafted and so good at what it does and just sublime on cask. This. is. beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Pumpkin Pie/Copper in color with a small white head. Decent Lacing.

S: Sweet Malty. Alcohol tingle. Beautiful Earthy/Floral Hop Aroma.

T: Nice and Sweet not overly bitter but a dryer finish. I get a Earthy piney Hop flavor and a complex malt flavor.

MF: normal carbonation level for an IPA. has some nice body.

D: An excellent IPA. Probably in my top 5. Doesn't taste strong but gives me a warm buzz before i'm halfway done (empty stomach).

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

My Bell's Two Hearted Ale was bottled on July 21, 2005 .. and it shows! As I pour this golden brew into a straight-sided pint glass, I can't help but notice the massive hop aroma; a pine forest full of aroma, accented by a little citrus. the carbonation seems good and the beer displays a good head of foam that settles to thin layer, leaving lacing down the sides of my glass. Love that hop aroma! As a homebrewer, I'm guessing that Bell's added a lot of Centennial hops late or after the boil. After smelling hops, I get to taste 'em and the resiny hop flavor nearly overcomes the presence of some good honey-ish malt and slightly toasted malt flavors. All of this leads to a big bitter finish. Perhaps not the most complex IPA, but when consumed this fresh this beer is a joyous hop explosion!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been waiting to try this beer for a long while, but it has only recently become available in Virginia. To celebrate its arrival in the Old Dominion, I have poured it into my etched Monticello stein, in honor of one of the commonwealth's most famous sons.

It's a slightly cloudy beer, brassy in color, with a thin and resilient head and thin trails of lace. Its aroma is similar to DFH 60 minute, but finer, more delicate, and eminently floral. Marvelous in the mouth -- chewy, with slightly burning grapefruit and pine nicely offset by malt... my word, my word, was this worth the wait.

After you swallow, your mouth tingles slightly, and it seems that the beer is now coming out of your salivary glands! Which is far more pleasant an effect than it probably sounds.

I keep coming back to the word "delicate." That's a strange word, considering that this is such a hoppy brew. But it is, it is delicate. Perhaps balanced is a better word. This is very nice. As it warms, it becomes even more complicated.

This is far too drinkable. I don't usually find beers that make that characteristic so easy to score. I love a moderately-alcoholic IPA that still manages to slap you around a bit. Only, this beer is like being slapped by the most beautiful person you could imagine... and wanting more!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Over a thousand reviews of the one already, what's left to say?

Enjoy it with salsa and chips, I did, and it was delicious. Oh, the beer is orange, it reeks of delicious hops and taste like a american IPA.

A tamer "hopslam" if a definition is required. Thanks to Greg for sending this one on a recent trade.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into Goose Island IPA glass. Has dark gold/bronze color with a nice foam head after the pour.

Hop smell is fantastic, not sure of hops used but the aroma is something you want to suck across your olfactory over and over.

Taste is nice - a fair amount of malt provides the balance I feel is needed for highly hopped beers.

Mouthfeel is good but is a little too thin. Carbonation feels nice on the tongue.

Drinkability is pretty good and I could probably suck a few of these down without getting tired of hops or a sour stomach.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very well-balanced for the style. This is one of my go-to beers when I can't decide or don't feel like trying something new. It's probably not going to win over the real hopoholics, but still a very nice smooth beer. I feel like it may be closer to an APA vs. an IPA, but we're splitting hairs there. The 7% is well-hidden, which can sneak up on you as these can go down quickly.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been on another IPA journey, lately, and it's been great. In order, I have visited Bell's HopSlam, Stone Ruination, and Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I'm delighted with all three, and in love with HopSlam, but the surprise of them was Two Hearted Ale. I've long been a fan of Dogfish's 60- and 90-minute IPAs, and the Hercules Double IPA has been the king of that style for me for a while. You'll have to read other reviews to see if it has retained its crown . . .

Two Hearted definitely beats it in one category: drinkability. It's a big-hopper, for sure, but it has a better balance and doesn't assault your taste buds like Hercules or Ruination. Citrus and pineapple are refreshingly pleasant, and the malt is right where it needs to be. To echo another review, it's so enjoyable that the glass is empty before you're ready, and you definitely want another. I need to test it against a few more, but for drinkability and price (compared to the very pricey competition), this may be my new favorite IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

This one was courtesy of Faro, thanks!

Transparent, burnt orange bottom with lots of carbonation rising to the head. Creamy foam head that fades quickly, but does not leave a murky looking film.

Sweet, floral smell, with a strong hop profile in the aroma. Grapefruit, honey, and some delicious smelling malts. Fruit esters. Very pleasant aroma.

One sip is all I need to know that this one is truly deserving of its praise. Strong hop taste on the palette, but biterness is surprisingly well contained/blended. Floral qualities translate well on the tongue, also a little grass/straw taste. Some lingering grapefruit from the bitterness, and a superb, crisp finish without tasting like straight, clean filtered water.

Nice, medium body, with a creamy mouthfeel. Mouthfeel does not give way to water, which I can truly appreciate. A treat to drink, drinkability is somewhere in between a session brew and a sipping brew.

Someone trade me more of this!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark orange color with amber hues, and a large off-white head. Smells of pineapples and floral hops. The taste is very fruity and lively with nice hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall, this is a great brew. Its taste doesn't get old, and its aroma is wonderful.

---
Edit 2/22/09: Over the years I have come to love the the taste and aroma of this beer, but hate the after effects. This beer more than any other I have ever drank leads to a very bad hangover. I mean I can't drink more than one without having a terrible headache all day long the day after.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

'8386' packaged on March 24, 2008. Just over 2 months ago, but still tasting very fresh.

I've had this many times, and it's about time to re-review it.

A: Tarnished gold with a fluffy white head, not much retention, but some nice lace.

S: Wonderful hoppy nose, with grass, pine & tangerine. Some underlying biscuity malt.

T: Assertive bitterness, but smooth. Plenty of hop flavour (grass, nectarine, tangerine, pine, slightly steelie). Light toffee & biscuity malt with hints of fruity ale esters.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body; moderate carbonation. Slight hop acidity.

D: Exceptionally drinkable for its weight.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a cloudy orange with a tasty looking foamy peach-colored head, lots of suspended yeast, and some cool looking cascading carbonation. Super sweet and fruity hop aroma, can't wait. Damn, this doesn't disappoint, either. A tasty, sweet, doughy maltiness is present but is beaten severely by the copious hops. Highly herbal and lemony, the bitterness is matched by a good measure of sweetness. As the glass empties, a serious coating of lace is left cemented to the inside. The finish is dry and bitter, but not at all unpleasant. I've not usually been much of a hop head, but this was delicious and amazingly drinkable. None of the wack aftertaste and mouthfeel I've experienced with some APAs and IPAs. Easily my favorite IPA yet.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A - A golden orange with a slight inch of foam at top also leaves laces around the glass.

S - Citrusy hops with slight hint of malts.

T - A true beer, the hops and malts both combine to give a very fruity taste. Really Enjoyable.

M - I enjoy this beer very much because of the low body and very little bitterness for an IPA.

D -Definitely a beer that can be drunk on the regular. I will always want this IPA before others if it is available.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner style glass from Paoli Peaks lodge in Indiana. Don't hate on my limited skiing abilities.

Pours a hazy very light orange with half a finger head, my color may differ from other reviews, I suspect from dimmer lighting. Leaves very light lacing.

Smells very citric and piney with grapefruit smell being predominant.

Mouthfeel was very light, a very easy drinker.

Taste is exceptional. A very well balanced IPA utilizing the malts and hops on a near perfect level. My first Bell's product and won't be my last, if it were only distributed somewhere in west or middle TN. Until then, I must prepare more trips to Bowling Green.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A-pours a yellow slight orange with a inch or so white head which leaves a nice lacing
S-big hops witha blend of grapefruit and pine which comes off very full and complex with a little bit of a biscut malt in the background
T-again a big hop presence with a nice malt backbone very complex yet still very refrshing
M-very light with a good carbonation when comined with the hop presence gives a very rough fell in your mouthvery refreshing
D- highly drinkable, very light and refreshing while still providing a big ipa hop presence a great balance of ipa flavor while still being very refreshing

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

As a portlander I am surrounded with spectacular beer and it is not often that I say "man, I wish (insert beer) was distributed here.". Bell's Two Hearted Ale made me say that today. This ranks among the best citrus IPAs I have ever tasted. I think This has found a place in my top 5 IPAs.

Two hearted is a slightly hazy copper orange color in my Sierra Nevada hop glass, there is some visible carbonation. After the pour the beer had a 3/4 inch cream head and as I drink it leaves sticky lacing. The smell of this beer is absolutely spectacular, I caught whiffs of orange before I was able to get the cap all the way off my bottle. The dominant smell is the citrus hops, but I think I am catching some floral hops as well. The taste starts with a slight sweetness, in the middle of my tongue I get a bit of pine flavor, finally as I swallow the beer I get a strong grapefruit bitterness. This grapefruit lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel for this beer is just where it should be. Overall, the only negative I can see about this beer is that I can't get it at the supermarket.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.