Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,250 | Hads: 12,845
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy gold with a small creamy head,smells of citrus and sweet malts, taste brings a citrusy spike on the front with a biscuity cracker toasty malts and ends balanced, smooth rich and creamy mouthfeel. Overall a great beer that is very available. Love it (259 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

I have thoroughly enjoyed this beer over the past few years (since I have turned 21) and am proud to say that Two Hearted is my go-to beer.

I live in Bloomington, IN and am lucky enough to have this beer available at many local bars on tap. Now lets get down to it.

APPEARANCE- Beautiful golden/amber pour with an excellent 1"-1.5" head of foam. The color and carbonation stays consistent throughout the experience followed by excellent lacing left behind on the pint glass.

SMELL- While the smell maybe intimidating for amateur IPA drinkers, it is filled with a wonderfully citrus aroma with hints of honey and apple. This is one of my favorite aspects of this beer.

TASTE- Bell's makes their IPAs in a way that you won't forget. The two hearted tastes a little mild compared to the very full aroma. However, it is exceptionally smooth and continues to be the most drinkable IPA I have tasted. On tap it is truly a treat and has a bit sweeter taste to it compared to the bottle. I strongly recommend getting it on tap if available. Plus the label on the bottle is not the most appealing.

MOUTHFEEL- Wonderfully light bitterness with a sweet and citrusy sensation on the tongue. It finishes with a slight hoppy bite, but remains very enjoyable.

DRINKABILITY AND OVERALL THOUGHTS- I remain somewhat biased towards this beer, but because a combination of its somewhat mild flavor and wonderful aroma with a medium ABV,I consider this THE perfect session IPA. If you enjoy Bell's style and IPAs I would also recommend their seasonal Hopslam IPA which I would consider a more extreme Two Hearted. (1,600 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

I was very disappointed to see that my review had disappeared for this beer. Let me re-share:

A: Pale, hazy yellow-orange with a big, sticky head and lots of lacing.

S: For an IPA, this is an close to heaven as it gets for me. A big hop nose showing great complexity. Not a single person I've held my mug up to hasn't said, "Whoa" or "Wow, that's strong."

T: Bell's hasn't just made a strong IPA here, it's a complex IPA. The malt is laid perfectly into the background, and the hops are just full, front, and center. The complexity of hop smells leads me to believe they're using more than one species of noble hops or did something to generate such complexity in the hopiness. This is a hop-lover's dream. Just perfectly balanced, with that juicy, citrustly hop flavor and some malt to balance (this is perfect...about halfway between some of the drier and maltier IPA's I've had).

M: Superb mouthfeel that is slightly dry, not overcarbonated in the least, and smooth.

D: Very drinkable. Get me another!

As mentioned when I previously reviewed this beer, I'd say it's more of a "1.5" IPA... that is, somewhere between a regular IPA in strength and a DIPA. I realize "IPA" is a relative term with broad definitions, but on average, most IPA's I've had have had a particular smell and taste strength where this beer is far above average.

What's most above average about this beer is its taste and smell. I've had stronger, but not anything that is as full and well-rounded as this IPA. This is my standard beer right now and the only beer I've ever bought more than a six-pack of. As soon as I tasted it, I just locked right on to it and realized this was something special. You owe it to yourself to verify this! Note: You must have a fresh batch. This stuff does go slightly south even after a month. (1,808 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sixer of 12oz. bottles, had my fourth out of the batch and I decided I was ready to review. I pick up something new each time and I'm loving this beer! Served at 45F. Should also mention I drank my first one at about 2 weeks after "born on", this one is a little past 4wks.

A - Bright golden body, good lacing all the way down the glass. Leaves a firm but not overdeveloped white froth. Tight sparkling carbonation.

S - This time, what I get is biscuits and honey. Other times, it has been apricot and mango, grapefruit and a hint of caramel. Each time, it has been top notch.

T - Backs up everything in the nose, outstanding complexity and achieves a balance between the flavor, the hoppiness and the yeast I could not find any hold to pick at. Perfect in that respect.

M - Impressed by the level of sweetness in this one, begins with a rush of soft sweet flavors and builds up to an enjoyable puckering bitter on the back palate. Finishes mildy though and leaves room for more.

O - Great, more than I expected, love eating my words when they are "lets see if this beer can really live up to the hype." Or in this case drinking them I guess... (1,150 characters)

12 oz. bottle
pours a clear, burnt yellow color with a small, white head. A strong citrusy, floral smell is incredibly nice. Light bodied with an airy texture. A very good , grainy malt taste meshes nicely with the perfumy, spicey hops.
A great ipa, this would be a regular in my fridg. if it were available locally to me. (326 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into my Hennepin glass.

Batch 10025.

A: Poured copperish orange, small white head that settle into patches on top, leaves micro-bubble lacing all over the glass.

S: Goodness. Citrus and flowers. Caramel malt. A little pine. Did I mention it smells like hops in a glass? Love this aroma.

T: Wow. I have had this beer several times now, and this is the freshest I have had yet, and holy crap is it good. Citrus fruit, floral hop and a slight sweetness from the malt. Somewhat bitter, but the citrus and malt squash the bitterness from taking over. Only thing I could ask for is a little more hop flavor.

M: Well carbonated, slick, and finishes with a clean bitterness. Nothing super, but still good.

D: Oh yes please, two please. I could drink these all night. Alcohol is hidden, the hops are nice and the malt keeps up just enough.

One of my favorites so far. Such a fantastic beer, whether on tap or in bottle. (924 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

In design class we once learned about products that don't accurately portray themselves through their package. This is one of them. It's sort of dull and gives no hint of the explosive flavor inside.

Pours a thick copper color with a creamy white head.

The smell was flawless, with fruit peels and juices, and some warm, almost sugary aromas.

The taste starts with a soft left hook of citrus flavors followed by a knockout uppercut from the hops. I don't consider myself much of a hop-head, but it was so smooth and well balanced that I think anyone could enjoy it.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy, keeping the flavors under control and increasing drinkability. (670 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

I have to go on the record up front that this is my favorite American IPA - hands down.

It pours a lovely amber with nice lacing. The smell is almost my favorite part - it screams of a solid IPA but yet it's completely unique. So floral it's surprising, and it makes you want to taste it even more.

The taste is, in my opinion, what beats you into submission. It's obviously a top-notch IPA, but yet it's different in so many ways. Maybe a little sweeter than the classic hop bomb, but absolutely crisp with the kind of aftertaste that keeps my attention.

The mouthfeel is smooth; the alcohol is well hidden for a higher gravity IPA.

Drinkability? Give me a case and lock me in a closet for a week. I'll emerge a better man. (731 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Another of Bells' that I really like. It is way out there hops-wise, but with an appropriate balance. It just works.

I was sort of down on Bells unil I tried this and the KAlamazoo stout. Excellent stuff.

Compared to any other high-hops beers, it has the best balance. (274 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

This wonderful beer from humble Kalamazoo warmed my faux tulip glass with a rushing foamy head. It took about 2 minutes for the 2 hearted head to wane. It's rich slightly crepuscular singed orange color is luring me in. (as you can tell I've already fallen in love with this beer).

My nose is overwhelmed with rushes of floral and coniferous hops. Behind the tastefully put up hop wall you can smell high quality malts. Malts that you might smell in the best beers. The expensive kind.

Hints of orange, grapefruit and wildflowers dominate the tongue. Quite refreshing. Only slightly bitter. Has a nice little tingle in the aftertaste. Would probably go well with grilled fish or chicken.

I would suggest that maybe the yeast is the secret signature of this beer.

This is such a great everyday beer. It's my "session" of choice. It holds its own yet pairs well with most foods. (882 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

poured a thick bright head which hungaround in clumps till the last sip, great sticky textured lacing

beer is slightly hazy golden yellow/slight orange tinge
lighter in colour than the more orangeish AIPAs

I can only compare the smell of this beer to opening a fresh bag of whloe leaf cascade hops and sticking your nose right in, giant popping hop aroma with no grassy notes detectiable

taste follows the same line as the smell - fantastic hop freshness and flavour which lingers nicely and blends with a balanced bitter finish

mouthfeel is med-light, heavy carbonation combined with hop resin, enjoyable

great american IPA, goes down easy, but more than two or three of these in session will certainly dull your senses (736 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a cloudy copper body with a vibrant head. Nose is very floral, sweet, and clean hop aroma: perfume to me. A nice hop bitterness that is reasonably balanced. As to drinkability?: I have trouble keeping it in my fridge (where is this 7% hiding? oh yeah, in my subsequent morning). This is easily my favorite beer that is regularly available in Chapel Hill. (360 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

poured into a wine glass. typical beige i.p.a head that doesnt stick around to much. pours a slightly hazy light amberish brown. this beer smells of citrus so strong. definatly an orange note but not as strong as hopslam. the taste however is grapefruit bitterness with a nice cereal or bread type backbone present after each sip. medium bodies mouthfeel typical to the style. overall you can see smell and taste where the idea for hopslam came from. great beer will definatly buy again!...cheers! (497 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Received as an extra (!!!!) in a trade with dschuster03...thanks, Dave!!

Oh. Hell. Yes. Beer pours a cloudy, honey/orange color, nice fluffy white head, some pretty good lacing. Smell is grapefruit, hoppy madness!! Taste is a spicy, citric explosion, with some faint grassy notes, and a sweet malty finish. Bitterness lingers....excellent aftertaste. For me, this is what an IPA is all about...truly one of the finest I've had. (428 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

2011 update; on about month and a half old bottle.

A: This one pours an ever so hazy amber orange color and is topped with a frothy stark white head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit zest and pine. Gotta love it.

T: Taste follows up with what the nose suggests. Grapefruit rind and pine delightfully tingle the palate. This has a dry feeling about it with just a slight suggestion of toasted grains. Truly a fantastic beer to which all other IPA's should be judged.

M: Prickly

O: A real classic, this beer always impresses me every time I try it.

'08 review

What a great IPA this beer is...

Its not overwhelming, but is powerful enough to captivate. The factor that keeps me coming back is the fruity bouquet on the nose and backup with the flavor. It's so full of citrus and grapefruit, but in a purely essence of and bitter way. This beer is one which will be appreciated by the beer connoisseur and the nube alike. (945 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

One of the best beers brewed by one of the best regional breweries. The opening is a spectacle: there is a giant billowing head that climbs atop a clear liquid amber body. There is nary a carbonation bubble to be seen; however, the glass retains a modicum of clingage, consisting of small glistening slabs of floral-scented lace.

The nose is overwhelmed by intnese notes of apple and lemon, a wonderfully enticing bouquet that welcomes many senses. Additionally, there is a sweet taste of citrus that is carefully balanced with lemony hops to make for a smooth mouthfeel.

This Two-Hearted is a splendid quaff that proves to be quite a sessional beer. Yummy indeed. (667 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Served at the Downtowner in St. Paul, MN.

Batch #8796, bottled Oct. 22, 2008.

Pours from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It has a hazy copper-orange color with an inch of white head. It fades quickly but leaves a perfect sheet of lacing behind.

Aroma is great with a great amount of hops. Very pleasant.

Flavor is excellent and probably one of the best IPAs I can remember. Good balance but obviously weighted towards the hops. Great floral quality to hops.

Mouthfeel is good and what I would expect from an American IPA. Crisp and bitter with just enough sweetness.

Drinkability is very good, in fact, I orderd another just to make sure. (647 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass batch #9555. According to their website Bells has this listed as being bottled on January 25, 2010. That's just a day shy of two months but I didn't look it up until after I drank it so it did not influence how I felt. The appearance is great! Good golden clarity with a nice 3 finger cap of fluffy off white head. Lacing was apparent the whole way down the glass.

I love this smell. Lots of tropical fruity aromas are apparent. I prefer the tropical smells/flavors in IPA's/DIPA's compared to overall dankness, so this is an area where my personal opinion takes over.

Taste echoes the aroma. Sweet tropical flavors with good bitterness dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel borders perfection. The only reason I'm not giving it a five is...ah hell! It is perfect! Five it is.

This drinks WAY too easy. I try to savor beers but this one went down in less than ten minutes while I grilled my steak. Unfortunately I had only bought a single to try out or I would have popped another right away. I have to go with a five here because I honestly can't think of how this could be any easier to drink.

I tried Hopslam when it first came to my beer store this year without ever trying Two Hearted. I kept passing over Two Hearted with the idea that since I had tried the Hopslam I would only be disappointed with its little brother. Boy was I wrong. I put this up there with Torpedo from SN and Sweetwater's IPA as some of my favorite IPA's readily available in my area. I've had both of them less than ten days old and can't wait to try a fresher batch of Two Hearted. I'm going to have to do a taste test with all three at the same time to see which of them my overall favorite is but I think that Two Hearted may be an early favorite. (1,761 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I can't say enough about this beer. Simply put, it is one of my favorites.

A- I have to admit pouring this beer into a pint class really brings a smile to my face. It has a nice bronze color with a lot of carbonation that continues to bubble throughout your consumption.

S- Quite a beautiful scent. Lots of hops and hints of Citrus.

T- This IPA tastes great. You get all the hops and citrus flavors without much of the bitterness that seems to be associated with a lot of other IPA's I've tried.

M- Two Hearted Ale is really smooth on the palete. It lacks the acidic aftertaste that I have associated with other IPA's that I have recently tried.

D- A smooth consistent IPA, that still packs a punch when it comes to (730 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My first beer from cask and love it. Cloudy burned orange with a nice off-white head and full lacing down the glass until I finished it. Looks unbelievable. Powerful scents of floral and citrus, strong hops, the nose is much better this time then out of the bottle. Tastes of strong citrus and powerful dry and bitter hops immediately followed by delicious malts. The carbonation is very low which allows more flavors to present themselves. Dry finish is perfect, no bitterness at all. An impeccable brew with an improved twist from the cask. MMM (546 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Orange with white head. This brew is a bit clearer than the other Bell's beers I have had.

Smell: Citrus - You name the fruit
Taste: Hops - Hops hops hops, yummy
Mouthfeel - Actually rather light to medium but so very refreshing
Drinkability - Given the crisp refreshing nature and the ABV, exceptional.

Explanation: awesome citrus hop, hop, hop with an ABV that allows you to session until you get yourself into trouble (and you just might!).

Description - Freakin' delicious. Perfect summertime quencher.

The best that I have tried so far from Bell's. (611 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from bottle into DFH snifter.

Tan-orange with a good, lasting one finger head, slight haze and nice lacing.

Smell is citrus hops, pine, and grapefruit, with a smidge of maltiness. Very nice.

Taste is really nice. A fine hoppy base with a nicely blended bit of piney grapefruit and just a touch of malt. Just a barely detectable sweetness and perfect bitterness rounds out the flavors nicely. A great IPA.

Feel is smooth, rich, finely yet amply carbonated, and medium bodied. Very good. One of my favorite single IPA's. Will be in my fridge for years to come. (571 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A - A clear amber brown with a full inch of creamy white head. Lacing is also pretty nice.

S - Pretty much a citrus bound IPA I also get some gram cracker like malt keeping the hops in check from being to pine forward.

T - Actually better than expected the bitterness seems to be more balanced giving it a juicy fresh citrus and pineapple like bitterness which finishes with the typical fresh baked sweetness of caramel and gram crackers. It's finish is just bitter enough to make you take another sip.

M - Light to medium and not cloyingly bitter.

Overall I guess I really like this beer with either some age or just on tap so I might have to track down one of the "mini kegs" Tasty stuff bells! (700 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Arena bar and grill in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Happy hour drafts $3 and that includes micros and imports! They gave me a 10oz pour in a goblet. Having just finished a souther tier Choklat(also $3), it took a few sips to clear that rich and flavorful beer out of my palette and when it did, boy was I excited. Hops, not as much as in Hopslam(my only other experience with Bell's)which was to be expected, hit the nose and the tongue in perfect balance. An incredibly drinkable and savorable IPA. I grabbed a six pack the next day and look forward to my next one. One other thing, the draft menu at the Arena had this listed as 5.3% ABV, it's actually 7%. (670 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with a two-finger head that stays around for a little bit before dissipating to wisps of retention. It's a wonderful amber color.

Smell: Smells delicious. Floral hops dominate.

Taste: Tastes as good as it smells. One of the best IPAs I've had.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little light for the style, actually. It feels good, but from the way it tastes and smells, I expected it to sit a little heavier in the mouth.

Drinkability: But because of how light it feels, these are way too drinkable. I could drink way too many of these.

This is an awesome IPA. Get it. Drink it. Be happy. (646 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.