Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,690 | Reviews: 3,424
4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

2011 update; on about month and a half old bottle.

A: This one pours an ever so hazy amber orange color and is topped with a frothy stark white head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit zest and pine. Gotta love it.

T: Taste follows up with what the nose suggests. Grapefruit rind and pine delightfully tingle the palate. This has a dry feeling about it with just a slight suggestion of toasted grains. Truly a fantastic beer to which all other IPA's should be judged.

M: Prickly

O: A real classic, this beer always impresses me every time I try it.

'08 review

What a great IPA this beer is...

Its not overwhelming, but is powerful enough to captivate. The factor that keeps me coming back is the fruity bouquet on the nose and backup with the flavor. It's so full of citrus and grapefruit, but in a purely essence of and bitter way. This beer is one which will be appreciated by the beer connoisseur and the nube alike.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

One of the best beers brewed by one of the best regional breweries. The opening is a spectacle: there is a giant billowing head that climbs atop a clear liquid amber body. There is nary a carbonation bubble to be seen; however, the glass retains a modicum of clingage, consisting of small glistening slabs of floral-scented lace.

The nose is overwhelmed by intnese notes of apple and lemon, a wonderfully enticing bouquet that welcomes many senses. Additionally, there is a sweet taste of citrus that is carefully balanced with lemony hops to make for a smooth mouthfeel.

This Two-Hearted is a splendid quaff that proves to be quite a sessional beer. Yummy indeed.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Served at the Downtowner in St. Paul, MN.

Batch #8796, bottled Oct. 22, 2008.

Pours from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It has a hazy copper-orange color with an inch of white head. It fades quickly but leaves a perfect sheet of lacing behind.

Aroma is great with a great amount of hops. Very pleasant.

Flavor is excellent and probably one of the best IPAs I can remember. Good balance but obviously weighted towards the hops. Great floral quality to hops.

Mouthfeel is good and what I would expect from an American IPA. Crisp and bitter with just enough sweetness.

Drinkability is very good, in fact, I orderd another just to make sure.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid IPA. Found it at Samba Sushi in West Village, NYC of all places.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass batch #9555. According to their website Bells has this listed as being bottled on January 25, 2010. That's just a day shy of two months but I didn't look it up until after I drank it so it did not influence how I felt. The appearance is great! Good golden clarity with a nice 3 finger cap of fluffy off white head. Lacing was apparent the whole way down the glass.

I love this smell. Lots of tropical fruity aromas are apparent. I prefer the tropical smells/flavors in IPA's/DIPA's compared to overall dankness, so this is an area where my personal opinion takes over.

Taste echoes the aroma. Sweet tropical flavors with good bitterness dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel borders perfection. The only reason I'm not giving it a five is...ah hell! It is perfect! Five it is.

This drinks WAY too easy. I try to savor beers but this one went down in less than ten minutes while I grilled my steak. Unfortunately I had only bought a single to try out or I would have popped another right away. I have to go with a five here because I honestly can't think of how this could be any easier to drink.

I tried Hopslam when it first came to my beer store this year without ever trying Two Hearted. I kept passing over Two Hearted with the idea that since I had tried the Hopslam I would only be disappointed with its little brother. Boy was I wrong. I put this up there with Torpedo from SN and Sweetwater's IPA as some of my favorite IPA's readily available in my area. I've had both of them less than ten days old and can't wait to try a fresher batch of Two Hearted. I'm going to have to do a taste test with all three at the same time to see which of them my overall favorite is but I think that Two Hearted may be an early favorite.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I can't say enough about this beer. Simply put, it is one of my favorites.

A- I have to admit pouring this beer into a pint class really brings a smile to my face. It has a nice bronze color with a lot of carbonation that continues to bubble throughout your consumption.

S- Quite a beautiful scent. Lots of hops and hints of Citrus.

T- This IPA tastes great. You get all the hops and citrus flavors without much of the bitterness that seems to be associated with a lot of other IPA's I've tried.

M- Two Hearted Ale is really smooth on the palete. It lacks the acidic aftertaste that I have associated with other IPA's that I have recently tried.

D- A smooth consistent IPA, that still packs a punch when it comes to

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My first beer from cask and love it. Cloudy burned orange with a nice off-white head and full lacing down the glass until I finished it. Looks unbelievable. Powerful scents of floral and citrus, strong hops, the nose is much better this time then out of the bottle. Tastes of strong citrus and powerful dry and bitter hops immediately followed by delicious malts. The carbonation is very low which allows more flavors to present themselves. Dry finish is perfect, no bitterness at all. An impeccable brew with an improved twist from the cask. MMM

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome IPA, very very good.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Orange with white head. This brew is a bit clearer than the other Bell's beers I have had.

Smell: Citrus - You name the fruit
Taste: Hops - Hops hops hops, yummy
Mouthfeel - Actually rather light to medium but so very refreshing
Drinkability - Given the crisp refreshing nature and the ABV, exceptional.

Explanation: awesome citrus hop, hop, hop with an ABV that allows you to session until you get yourself into trouble (and you just might!).

Description - Freakin' delicious. Perfect summertime quencher.

The best that I have tried so far from Bell's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's the goto IPA. Will always be.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from bottle into DFH snifter.

Tan-orange with a good, lasting one finger head, slight haze and nice lacing.

Smell is citrus hops, pine, and grapefruit, with a smidge of maltiness. Very nice.

Taste is really nice. A fine hoppy base with a nicely blended bit of piney grapefruit and just a touch of malt. Just a barely detectable sweetness and perfect bitterness rounds out the flavors nicely. A great IPA.

Feel is smooth, rich, finely yet amply carbonated, and medium bodied. Very good. One of my favorite single IPA's. Will be in my fridge for years to come.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A - A clear amber brown with a full inch of creamy white head. Lacing is also pretty nice.

S - Pretty much a citrus bound IPA I also get some gram cracker like malt keeping the hops in check from being to pine forward.

T - Actually better than expected the bitterness seems to be more balanced giving it a juicy fresh citrus and pineapple like bitterness which finishes with the typical fresh baked sweetness of caramel and gram crackers. It's finish is just bitter enough to make you take another sip.

M - Light to medium and not cloyingly bitter.

Overall I guess I really like this beer with either some age or just on tap so I might have to track down one of the "mini kegs" Tasty stuff bells!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Arena bar and grill in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Happy hour drafts $3 and that includes micros and imports! They gave me a 10oz pour in a goblet. Having just finished a souther tier Choklat(also $3), it took a few sips to clear that rich and flavorful beer out of my palette and when it did, boy was I excited. Hops, not as much as in Hopslam(my only other experience with Bell's)which was to be expected, hit the nose and the tongue in perfect balance. An incredibly drinkable and savorable IPA. I grabbed a six pack the next day and look forward to my next one. One other thing, the draft menu at the Arena had this listed as 5.3% ABV, it's actually 7%.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with a two-finger head that stays around for a little bit before dissipating to wisps of retention. It's a wonderful amber color.

Smell: Smells delicious. Floral hops dominate.

Taste: Tastes as good as it smells. One of the best IPAs I've had.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little light for the style, actually. It feels good, but from the way it tastes and smells, I expected it to sit a little heavier in the mouth.

Drinkability: But because of how light it feels, these are way too drinkable. I could drink way too many of these.

This is an awesome IPA. Get it. Drink it. Be happy.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer pours a dark honey brown that is slightly cloudy. The head is fluffy and a dirty brown. It fell quickly to a fluffy film. Great lacing!

The smell is incredibly aromatic that playfully stings my nose with huge pineapple and nectarine hops. No malt detected.

Tastes of strong pine and citrus hops with a fantastic understated foundation of oat and caramel malts. Well paired flavors! The finish is a nice sour dryness that makes me want another sip in a bad way.

Mouth feel is full and creamy with a medium body and a little carbonation.

Nice beer, Bell’s! It’s not too heavy, but delicious and easy to drink!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer has a special place in my heart, see my avatar, but that aside it is delicious!

A slightly hazy golden, nice white head, pretty good lacing

S floral and citrusy hops, some nice tart grapefruit smells, very enticing

T delicious. the citrus comes through, a nice bitterness, with a touch of malt sweetness.

M/D very smooth, perfect carbonation, a great beer that one could drink several of and not get bored.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This is one of my favorites! When it was on sale for $6.99 at Big Red for a month, I probably bought 30 six-packs! It also makes a bad-ass black and tan. Way better than Bass and Guiness, and my last name is Bass. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. Great look, taste, buzz, everything!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

As a beer lover I wish I had the writing ability to creatively rate and review a beer like a lot of critics do (just not that fluent of a writer) This beer is deserving of that praise.

This was one of those beers you'd never seen in the Tampa, Florida market without trying to look for it, except in speciality stores. After trying it, what a great beer! I am colored blind, so that hurts me when I rate appearance! My sister and I were playing a game of pool (the exceptional beer tasting environment) when we tried this. It's got a nice "kick" from the 7% ABV, but not where it overpowers the flavor. Great "drinkablility", that's to say it tastes great. No bad after taste and it leaves you wanting to order another one, and probably another ater that. This is one beer you really have to try.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 ouncer into my Dogfish Head specialty glass.

Heard a lot about this beer, figured I'd give it a shot and save it for my 100th review. Right out of the bottle this thing looks great. Pours a murky yet glowing honey wheat color with light peach-colored highlights and lots of effervescent carbonation running up the side of the glass and into two fingers of fluffy, bubbly off-white head. The head has amazing retention and leaves dripping rings of sticky lacing hanging from the side of the glass.

The nose is probably one of the best I've smelled on any beer to date. As soon as I popped the bottle, I could smell a cornucopia of scents, and that beautiful head on the beer really helped release them once it hit the glass. Candied lemon peel, grapefruit, and any other kind of citrus you can think of leap out of the glass in volumes. This thing smells delicious.

Two Hearted doesn't disappoint on the palate, either. I was geared up for a punishing bout with the citrusy hops I smelled in the nose, and although they were there in full flavor, a sweet, buttery maltiness hung around to counteract some bitterness and make for an interesting combination of bitterness, sweetness, and sticky hop flavor in my mouth. I could ask for maybe a bit more bitterness, but who am I to complain? Very well done.

The mouthfeel is good as well. Medium bodied with a creaminess that works well with the oily nature of the hops, as well as a restrained amount of carbonation that doesn't overpower but lets you know it's there with a tickle on the tongue. Two Hearted starts wet and creamy and finishes dry.

Bell's really knocked this one out of the park. I could drink a six pack of this in one night and not regret it at all, no matter what the next morning held for me. Just a very well put-together American IPA that doesn't disappoint in any of the categories and excels in most. A very solid choice for my 100th review. Here's to you, Two Hearted. Can I toast the beer that I'm drinking?

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Batch 8619 (packaged on 7.10.08) purchased on 08.02.08 from Steve's Licker in Madison, WI.
Cloudy orange with a teriffic glowing 2 fingers of near-white head. Smell of citrus, apricots and freshly baked pretzels.
A faint touch of wheat on the tip of my tongue, followed by a lovely array of chalky, citrus and pine hop flavor. The flavor is very apparent, yet somehow restrained by the malt that is there. Very long lasting on the palate too, and finishes very hoppy. Touch of soft pretzel malt taste in the mouthfeel, somehow in the middle of the hop beauty. Spotty lacing in the glass. Extremely drinkable for a 7% IPA with this much flavor.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a beautiful opaque, burnt-amber color. 3 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving fluffy residue. Lacing very present.

S - Right off the bat you get a phenomenal aroma of fruity and floral sweetness. Yet very sweet smelling, it's the perfect blend of spice that prevents if from being overly bearing. Notes of various citron scents, pine, and faint hints of pepper and spice.

T - A perfect blend of malt and hops are present at the beginning of every sip; sweet yet well balanced with bitterness - neither overly baring. Finishes with mouthful of well blended spices and hints of pepper and pine. The most distinct flavors I can note are that of lemon, pine and malt.

M - Medium bodied beer with little carbonation present. Doesn't leave much of an aftertaste- very sharp, clean finish. Fluffy, full feeling beer overall.

O - This has now been my 2nd beer from Bell's and similar to the first, has left me wanting more. A few months back I got to try and fall in love with their Hopslam ale; quickly learning I will be having to wait until next winter before I get a chance to have that again. With Bell's recently being brought to my location, I got lucky enough to try another beer by them and was wholeheartedly impressed; again! An incredible IPA from an incredible company; I have no complaints.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a medium amber color with average size head. This beer has a great depth of flavor, because the hops are backed up by enough malt to balance it out. It is medium to full bodied, but not heavy. I thought overall this beer was very drinkable and all of its flavors were in harmony: I can't wait to get some more of this!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a cloudy peach with a disintegrating head. Seems like I usually get more head out of this one, but this pour was very disappointing. Will rerate if necessary. Smell hits you right after you pour before you can even get your nose in there. An earthy, floral hop character dominates with some extra sweet pineapple in the background. Not much malt in there. Taste is delicious. No attempt at balance whatsoever is made, but that's ok in my book. The only time it hurts this beer is in the finish, which ends up very grainy and not quite as smooth as it could be. Other than that, this is just a full on hop attack, and it is done very well. Never before have I had an IPA that succeeds at balancing floral and citrusy hops so well. A fresh sample of this stuff is amazingly potent in taste, always blending the two main hop flavors together well. And there's no hop bite to speak of. It's hardly bitter at all and the mouthfeel is velvety. If there's not at least one of these in my beer fridge, then I'm either drinking my last one at the moment or I'm dead.

Edit: Bumped up appearance from 3.5 to 4.5. This is a beautiful beer - the bottle I reviewed must have been too cold or not very fresh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From my haulback from Michigan (I'm glad I'm finally reviewing this - after all of the years!):

Bottled April 25, 2012; consumed on October 9th:

Into a pint glass:

A: clear, bright orange colored body and gives a decent foamy one finger white head, has some nice spider web lacing along the sides of the glass. No carbonation is seen rising.

S: orange up front with some hops tingling in the background.

T: previously mentioned flavors balanced really well.

M: light to medium with nothing sharp on the tongue. Though a fairly high ABV, there is a drinkable quality to this beer.

O: wow! Right now I'm wishing I had more of this when I lived in Michigan and am wishing I could get this in Maine. This blows all American IPA's made in the New England area out of the water. I would have this again in a heartbeat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Looks, smells and tastes great. My go to IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.