Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

2.04/5  rDev -52.2%

Tasted like a poorly-made boiler-maker. I see the reviews here and I scratch my head and wonder why. Perhaps my beer tastes and expectations are too basic and backward. Could not wait for it to be gone. Each sip popped an intolerably sweet flavor in my mouth. It created nice internal warmth, but burned like a watered down shot of bourbon going down. Some have said the alcohol taste is missing, but it was the most prevalent taste/feel I could recognize. I am no expert, so I am not sure how much to trust my rating.

2.04/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

2.09/5  rDev -51.1%

Thanks awalk1227!

Bottle dated 3/29/11

A: Golden, hazy, unfiltered. Frothy white head, sticky.

S: Im surprised and disappointed by the aroma, not pulling alot out of this one. Saltine or stale cracker malt profile. Hop aromas are mostly watered down pine.

T: Not much going on here either. Cracker like malt profile accented with pine sap hops, finish is dry and bitter. Not much citrus, no zing. Drinkable but boring.

M: High carbonation combined with copious amounts of generic bitterness creates a mouthfeel that is just short of scathing.

O: Sorry, I dont get it.

2.28/5  rDev -46.6%

Bell's makes some great Stouts. Their Oatmeal Stout is amazing, but I haven't been too impressed with their other offerings. I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is just another horribly over hopped American ale. I know it's an IPA and hoppiness is a characteristic of the style, but I just don't think there is enough maltiness and body in this brew to support all the hops. All I can taste is a sickening amount of floral and citrus hops. To me it seems very unbalanced and astringent. In my opinion it certainly doesn't belong in the BA top 50.

2.36/5  rDev -44.7%

A - watered down honey color, tall creamy white head. Better than I expected.

S - typical IPA hops plus some fruit.

T - mild hops but a flavor like a bunch mixed old fruit.

M - medium coating with a good amount of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - not my bag but I could see other people liking this.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.