Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
cofeeguru

rmcnamee

05-15-2014 13:12:04 | More by rmcnamee
TheBigBoy

2.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Out of 12oz bottle. This two hearted beer one broke my heart. I had heard much about this beer and expectations were perhaps too high. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Just too much of thick and hearty beer for my palate. I do enjoy other Bells Beers (Best Brown, Hopslam, etc.)which work really well for my tastebuds. Obviously this beer is a crowd pleaser, just not my type of brew.

11-28-2011 03:56:26 | More by TheBigBoy
dananabanana

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

03-28-2009 14:41:17 | More by dananabanana
pmorey

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

Bottle pour into an imperial pint glass, date stamp of 2/11/13.

Very nice amber orange color with a decent creamy-looking head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Nose is very, very promising. Floral/fruity with a bit of pine. Good initial mouth-feel, carbonation is just right. But then...

I am really puzzled by this tasting. With all the stellar reviews and past experience with Oberon, I was very much looking forward to this. Frankly, it makes me think of drinking Christmas tree water. Very bitey hops and bitterness with no other noticeable flavors.

I tried a second and that was all I can do. I will look to give away the rest of the six and then make a doctors appointment to make sure I don't have a terminal illness or something that is affecting my taste buds.

03-23-2013 01:21:41 | More by pmorey
trumick

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

This is a re-review. And, after opening and pouring I can already tell I am going to have to change it, somewhat.

Pours a pale, orange, cloudy color, nice 1/2 inch head with lacing all around.

Scent is of, sweet malt, knock me over citrusy hops and yeast.

Taste follows the nose with a very sweet, sugary malt flavor, supercharged citrus hops, and finishes dry. The last time I had this beer, the taste reminded me of Oberon. This bottle is not nearly as bad as Oberon. It's an ok flavor, but still unbalanced, and I would put Arcadia's and New Holland's IPAs (two more locals) above this one. If anything this is, at best, a below average, unbalanced, over-hopped, american ale.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, creamy, smooth but the carbination seems a bit on the low side for the style.

Drinkability is still on the negative side of the scale. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this beer out. Hell, I wouldn't even buy it again if it were right in front of me, but if somebody handed me one at a party I wouldn't turn it down. That's not saying much, cause I wouldn't turn down a High Life either. The only way I would give this beer another chance is on tap or cask.

I still wouldn't put this beer on the Best of BA. There are at least a dozen others that should be rated above this average, boring pale ale. I like IPA's, NO, I really like IPAs and have sampled enough to know that TH would rank at the very bottom of that list. It's not terrible but it's not good either. Let me put it this way, it's not even close to a Finest Kind IPA..

01-14-2005 03:53:02 | More by trumick
LCB_Hostage

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

03-06-2013 18:17:07 | More by LCB_Hostage
justintcoons

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

A: Pours amber with golden highlights with half a finger head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy, scattered lacing slides down the side of the glass. Low carbonation.

N: Citrus, pine and light caramel notes.

T: Lemon citrus and pine upfront followed by hints of navel orange and some very light grains in the background. Finishes with spicy pine, citrus rind and a light floral bouquet.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, somewhat sticky and dry.

O: Nice bitterness and American hop profile but lacks dimension from such a light malt backbone. This is essentially hop-water but fans of West Coast IPAs will love this beer.

07-18-2011 00:02:50 | More by justintcoons

-IBU’s:
-Malts:
-Hops:
-Color:

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale pours a shockingly pale yellow color, looking more like SNPA than most American IPA’s (when decanted off the yeast—a full pour left a vesry cloudy body). The nose has a big, vegetal hop aroma, smelling strongly of coriander, though I’d be beyond beside myself to learn that any adjuncts or spices were used in this beer. The very slight haziness lends credibility to an over-crystal malted style. The just-less-than-white head is pretty fluffy after the yeast has been added from the bottle, but is mediocre otherwise.

The flavor is odd, to say the least. Sweet, pineapples mix with cooked vegetables to leave a very unusual sensation in the mouth. Then there’s that damned coriander flavor! Is this an Imperian Wit or an IPA??? OK, we’re gonna stop right here and assume the worst—I got a funky bottle. I stopped and read about 30-40 reviews of this stuff and everyone loved it. There were several telling mentions of an “odd sweetness” or a “pleasant funkiness from the Bell’s yeast” that’s just killing me here! The ambient flavors created by the fermentation with the “famous” Bell’s yeast is wreaking havoc on my buds. In my doubt, I had my wife taste it and she thought it tasted and smelled like ash (not ass, ash). This stuff is as close to horrid as a beer can get without being dumped. Let’s hops for a bad bottle and a shot at redemption in the future. I’m rating what I taste based on the fact that with something like 60+ IBU’s and 7$ ABV, this stuff oughtta be impervious to bugs.

Updated early April 2003: I retasted and although this second bottle was MUCH better than the first, it still had subtle hints of that vegetal, coriander flavor. I'm upping my score, but not by much. I'd love to taste this stuff fermented without the Bell's yeast...

04-10-2003 10:34:37 | More by TXHops
mashedpotatoes

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance is orange-ish haze. Head wells up to a solid 3 finger pillow on a regular pour. Smell is incredibly citrusy. Taste is even more citrusy, like a mixture of lemon and orange rinds. Lots of complicated floral notes but most notably are the hops, just exploding all over the place. Mouthfeel is not bad, average thickness with actually quite a pleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is just average I would say due to the complicated flavor and high Abv%.

08-27-2008 02:47:46 | More by mashedpotatoes
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.