Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

pin, Oct 03, 2012

Spacechic, Oct 02, 2012

Mark5252, Jan 10, 2012

rmcnamee, May 15, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Out of 12oz bottle. This two hearted beer one broke my heart. I had heard much about this beer and expectations were perhaps too high. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Just too much of thick and hearty beer for my palate. I do enjoy other Bells Beers (Best Brown, Hopslam, etc.)which work really well for my tastebuds. Obviously this beer is a crowd pleaser, just not my type of brew.

TheBigBoy, Nov 28, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

dananabanana, Mar 28, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

Bottle pour into an imperial pint glass, date stamp of 2/11/13.

Very nice amber orange color with a decent creamy-looking head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Nose is very, very promising. Floral/fruity with a bit of pine. Good initial mouth-feel, carbonation is just right. But then...

I am really puzzled by this tasting. With all the stellar reviews and past experience with Oberon, I was very much looking forward to this. Frankly, it makes me think of drinking Christmas tree water. Very bitey hops and bitterness with no other noticeable flavors.

I tried a second and that was all I can do. I will look to give away the rest of the six and then make a doctors appointment to make sure I don't have a terminal illness or something that is affecting my taste buds.

pmorey, Mar 23, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

This is a re-review. And, after opening and pouring I can already tell I am going to have to change it, somewhat.

Pours a pale, orange, cloudy color, nice 1/2 inch head with lacing all around.

Scent is of, sweet malt, knock me over citrusy hops and yeast.

Taste follows the nose with a very sweet, sugary malt flavor, supercharged citrus hops, and finishes dry. The last time I had this beer, the taste reminded me of Oberon. This bottle is not nearly as bad as Oberon. It's an ok flavor, but still unbalanced, and I would put Arcadia's and New Holland's IPAs (two more locals) above this one. If anything this is, at best, a below average, unbalanced, over-hopped, american ale.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, creamy, smooth but the carbination seems a bit on the low side for the style.

Drinkability is still on the negative side of the scale. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this beer out. Hell, I wouldn't even buy it again if it were right in front of me, but if somebody handed me one at a party I wouldn't turn it down. That's not saying much, cause I wouldn't turn down a High Life either. The only way I would give this beer another chance is on tap or cask.

I still wouldn't put this beer on the Best of BA. There are at least a dozen others that should be rated above this average, boring pale ale. I like IPA's, NO, I really like IPAs and have sampled enough to know that TH would rank at the very bottom of that list. It's not terrible but it's not good either. Let me put it this way, it's not even close to a Finest Kind IPA..

trumick, Jan 14, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

LCB_Hostage, Mar 06, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

A: Pours amber with golden highlights with half a finger head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy, scattered lacing slides down the side of the glass. Low carbonation.

N: Citrus, pine and light caramel notes.

T: Lemon citrus and pine upfront followed by hints of navel orange and some very light grains in the background. Finishes with spicy pine, citrus rind and a light floral bouquet.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, somewhat sticky and dry.

O: Nice bitterness and American hop profile but lacks dimension from such a light malt backbone. This is essentially hop-water but fans of West Coast IPAs will love this beer.

justintcoons, Jul 18, 2011
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.