Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-somewhere around copper

smell- sweet with some citrus

taste- just an amazing mix. hops and floral

mouthfeel- good mix of carbonation nice crisp finish

drinkability-" well suited for adventurous trips o the upper Peninsula."

one of my Favorites

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Living in Michigan, I have access to Two Hearted almost everywhere, all the time. Which is f'n great news, because it is an excellent brew. The color is a deep amber, with some copper when the light hits it. A solid white head forms and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass. Hops up front and hops in the back with a very solid citrus and grapefruit profile that goes hand-in-hand with the its floral essence - much expected from an American IPA. The great thing about Two Hearted is that it's incredibly simple, but it's done extremely well. It doesn't have some over-the-top, drawn out, unnecessarily complex flavor profile because it doesn't need one. The bitterness from the hops is balanced nicely with the huge citrus/grapefruit flavors and light undertones of malt. Bitterness lasts the entire time without becoming too overpowering. The beer smells as simple as it tastes - like a nice field of hops and grapefruits; very perfume-like and fragrant from the start to the finish. With a medium body and a perfect amount of carbonation, this mouth is very nice, making this beer easy to drink.

Two Hearted is an extremely simple, yet masterfully executed IPA which is readily available and always delicious. I love this shit, plain and simple, and if you like America IPAs, you're gonna love it, too. If you can't get this stuff, let me know and I will send it out. Everyone deserves to have this.

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A real classic, first received in a trade a few years ago, then bottles bought at AJ's Beer Warehouse. This reviews concerns Two Hearted on tap at Acme Beer and Pizza in Rochester, NY.

Pours a hazy glowing orange yellow. 1 inch head with great lacing.

A big trifecta of great hop aromas- pine, citrus, floral.

The tastes follows similarly, and successfully. Very floral up front, with some sweet citrus flavors mixed with bitter pine notes. The bitterness is lingering but not over-powering. Not much noticeable malt flavor. One of the freshest hop expressions on the market.

Light, crisp mouthfeel, light-to-medium body. Insanely drinkable.

So happy this cult classic has hit our market here in Western NY. I could drink this all day and be happy.

4.61/5  rDev +8%

Bottle 341ml. Hazy gold. Fantastic aroma of peach, tangerine and grassy hops. Flavor is well balanced between citrus, hops and pepper. Lovely dry and slightly bitter finish. Light palate, a little bit crispy. Very enjoyable. As good as it gets for an IPA.

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +8%

A: Very light copper color, poured with very little head and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Really faint smell of pears and citrusy fruits such as lemons. Barely detectable, however.

T: I do not detect a lot of hop bitterness in this, however, the flavors are incredible. Citrusy lemons and oranges make themselves evident and the taste lingers in the mouth after swallowing. Delicious. The citrusy flavors are also probably due to the use of citric hops which would explain why I didn't get an overpowering bitter quality from the taste.

M: Extremely smooth and thirst quenching. I could easily down a 6er of these on a hot summer day.

O: Fantastic beer. It does not have the traditional hoppiness of many IPA's but it is just a great tasting brew. Sweet and delicious.

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +8%

What can I say that hasn't been already said? This is definitely one of the best and most unique IPA's around, period!!! Nice 1" head with a smell of honey and citrus. Taste is where this beer excels. Various fruits and honey dance all around your mouth and beg for you to drink more! Mouthfeel is outstanding and it is really hard to put this one down. World Class for sure and one of my go to beers!!!

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was so happy to start seeing some Bell's start to show up on shelves around the Raleigh area. Of Bell's offerings this is perhaps my favorite. I picked up a sixer from a well-supplied convenience store; it was on the shelf under some (what I consider to be) strong competition but the Two-Hearted's price point and cravings for this particular mess of hops lead me to Bell's. I do not regret my choice.

As this ale poured from the bottle the smell of citrusy hop oil poured out with it. Immediately alive in the Scaldis tulip, a nice, white, part creamy part bubbly, two finger cap formed on top of golden beer with straw-yellow highlights. I had to stop the pour to allow room for the last few ounces which added some swirly yeast sediments to color the body of this brew - just beautiful! As the initial head receded, copious stickage ensued leaving a wide, thick ring of dense lace.

Wow. Where some brewers strike a note with the noses of their beers Bell's struck a chord with this one. It's citrus-like grapefruit and floral (think spring bouquet not rose or honeysuckle) with hints of maybe some berries? Blueberry is the one that comes to mind. This all blends so perfectly with the subtle malt tones that are just grainy enough to add to the spring-like quality as well. There is just a spice of phenol.

The taste, in fact, comes off grainier than expected. Now, let us not confuse such a statement with the simple fact that this beer is hoppy. Period. But there is almost a sense of surprise at how a balance has been struck between hop and grain after experiencing such a significant aroma (Note well: The balance is tipped WAY in favor of hops but there is balance nonetheless). There is an immediate astringency followed by the opening of the hop profile; pine resinous with sweet and sour citrus flavor. The grain tones sneak in as the initial acidity fades a bit and allows for some combination of flavor - this is perhaps when the berry-like fruit qualities of hop, grain, and alcohol tend to complement and play off of one another. It's the embodied flavor of the American IPA; hop palate destruction with just enough balance to make one go "Oooo" in some silly fashion - well done!

Mouthfeel is astringent. NO way around it - this is not for the faint of hops! Beyond the acidity it is quite bubbly and not syrupy like some really heavy IPA's but rather alive on the palate in its medium body...matty likey!

I feel as though I could drink this beer all day and not get sick of it. In spite of (and in some sense BECAUSE of) some palate-drying hoppiness and a non-sessionable ABV this beer is just so damn DRINKABLE. Cheers, Bell's - this should have us on our collective ass soon enough.

An interesting point of note; the burp is quite pleasant and tastes like what I'd expect the hop profile alone to taste like separate from the other beer characteristics. Floral and vegetal!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle that's allowed to sit for some time and then carefully poured delivers just a slightly hazy (almost clear) peachy-gold body that's topped by a frothy white head which holds fairly well. It eventually drops but keeps a really nice creamy collar, and a simple swirl of the glass brings it right back up! Additionally, it leaves some nice lace - although it's fleeting. The aroma, however, is even more astonishing than the appearance with a bright, bold combination of soft ripe fruit, tangy grapefruit and resiny pine. Intense! But it goes even one step further as the flavor is even bolder than the aroma with a searing bitterness right-up front, and from start to finish! If it weren't for the rich (almost sugary) and fruity (apricot, tangerine, mild pineapple) malt underneath this beer would be way too much! Surprisingly, and thankfully, the hop flavors are limited to the fruity side of things and the interplay between the crushing bitterness and the sweet malt is really interesting. It's kind of like a "tug of war" in the mouth. The firm maltiness is enlivened by a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that helps this to happen. It's surprisingly smooth and creamy. This is one hell of a "take no prisoners" IPA that should clearly be sought out and destroyed - one bottle at a time! Most highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a pale golden amber color with a nice creamy off-white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is probably the best aroma of any IPA I have ever smelled. Fresh citrusy hops immediately fill the air and just dares you to take a sip. The taste much like the aroma is a hop heads paradise. The hops seemingly explode in your mouth making you die to take the next sip. Wow! This is one hell of a brew that will certainly become a staple in my fridge. Highly Recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence the beer had a bright brassy color. it pours with a cloudy appearence and a little carbonation.

Aroma is of floral and pine hops aroma

Taste is medium body but full of zest and hops

Overall this is an outstanding IPA and the bells crew has once again not let me down. This IPA is a little more bitter than expected but was welcomed and I will most definatly visit this tasty experience once again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. pour from batch 10064, checked Bell's site and they did not have this batch in the system so no idea as to the bottling date.

Pours a beautiful honey amber with a one finger frothy head that leaves a nice lacing around the rim. A little less than clear, but not enough to say hazy.

Smells of citrus hops and tropical fruit. Not a grapefruity aroma more a sweet tangerine mixed with pineapple and mango. A bit of sweet light malts, but the hops are, as they should be, the star of the show.

Taste is excellent! While I like other IPA's equally as much this beer rates the full A+ cannot be improved rating for flavor. Crisp and sweet with the flavors following the nose letter for letter, and with a nice hop bite on the follow through. I can't think of a better example of a sweet fruity hopped IPA, equals yes, but differently not better.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light, more of a pale than an IPA. I really like it and it enhances the drinkability, but most beers in this style have a little more body at this abv.

Drinkability is excellent I've definitely had more than two of these in a sitting, but the hops and alcohol sneak up on you. I have to have a water and some food to get a good taste of the third or more beer. The hops may be sweet, but they are potent and you stop getting the full flavor after number two thanks to their tongue lashing (pun intended) and the numbing of the alcohol.

All in all one of my favorites. I recommend it to all my friends if they ask about a good IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bells Two Hearted Ale. 12oz bottle into a medium snifter.

Moderate pour pour generates a big one inch fluffy eggshell colored head, which lingers around for a good bit, leaving some nice sticking on the way down. Nice medium orange with good clarity. Pure classic IPA.

Aroma is gigantic, perfumy floral hops and juicy grapefruit. Aroma is so intense and inviting. Some faint caramel maltiness, but it is way overpowered. Prickly hop leaf in there. A little touch of alcohol too.

Taste is juicy grapefruit, not intensely bitter, but very much hop forward. A bit resiny, and hop oily as well. The perfume in the nose also lingers on the finish of this beer, and the maltyness is in there without providing anything more than a little balance. A faint toasty flavor as well.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but that's fine, as IPAs that are too heavy strike me as kind of odd. The resin like quality of the hops as a nice touch to the body. The finish is actually a bit watery, but this beer is more refreshing than overwhelming. It's actually really easy to drink, and the 7% abv can sneak up with the quickness. My first IPA, and one that I will always be in love with.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.