Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Received a six-pack of Two Hearted Ale in a trade with HopHobo. 12oz. long neck bottle, with an orange outlined label that features an illustration of a lake trout. Batch 8918 i think?

Pours a brilliant golden yellow. Tons of carbonation, resulting in a super-thick head of white foam that settles into frothy clouds. Some excellent lacing clinging to the top ring of my Allagash glass. Two Hearted Ale has a nose is a perfect balance of malt sweet character and a bouquet of hops. I understand that this beer is brewed using only Centennial hops. They are showcased well in the aroma, floral, citrus, and a hint of pungent, blue cheesiness. Mouthfeel is absolutely outstanding, velvety smooth with a slickness probably from the abundance of hop oils saturated within the liquid. I would have to say that this IPA has got to be the most perfectly balanced IPAs that I have ever tasted. The malt sweetness balances the citrus, grapefruit juice flavor perfectly. The brew finishes with a pleasant, piney-grapefruit dryness that is both delicious and refreshing. My review might be a little biased since centennial hops are my absolute favorite but if I had access to this beer, it would constantly be found in my fridge.

Cheers!

02-01-2009 21:18:31 | More by SteveO1231
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Shot out to ratpack554 for giving me the chance to try this one.

A - cloudy golden body w/ a 1/2 inch foam head and some lacing. this is kinda lighter than most American IPAs that i've seen, interesting...

S - best smelling ipa, by far. along w/ the citrus hops, i detect orange, lemon grapefruit, honey and spice

T - Not only is this incredibly balanced, but also 1 of the most flavorful IPAs ive ever had. the hops pack a punch and finish bitter(not overly so)but inbetween these is a plethora of flavor going on to keep the hops in check.
not just a bready/yeasty backround, but a sweetness that tastes like fruits, honey and spices...excellent.

MF - medium to medium full body, moderate carbonation and still a creamy feel

D - goes down w/ ease, i would reach for another and another and another....(i wish we had Bell's here in Colorado)

06-16-2009 11:01:22 | More by bonsreeb85
Anthony1

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

poured into a perfect pint

had to have a friend smuggle these bad asses up from florida since they aren't sold in georgia yet... but... WOW

pours a slightly hazy golden glow, with a thick, billowy head. i poured the 2nd 1/2 vigorously, and it left a thick, 2" head that was amazing. it was thick and structured, almost like light Styrofoam. It was amazing, with spotted, but thick lacing all the way through.

the aroma was a little less amazing then the taste and look, but it was still great. fruit and floral hops dominate the aroma, which is a great mix.

the taste is a great mix of floral hops, malts, and fruits. amazingly flavor, simply awesome. light feel with perfect carbonation simply amazing blend that flowed smooth and refreshing.

i cant wait until they ship this to georgia

07-10-2009 23:34:12 | More by Anthony1
sopor

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Every bit as good as everybody says it is, if not better! I'm a hophead, and this rocks!

Pale amber with a haze from slight amount of sediment I allowed to pour, not all of it or I wouldn't have been able to see through at all! Large frothy head filles the remainder of my pint glass then slowly dies to a creamy fil that sticks around and laces like none other. Lace is still there on the glass when I washed it about 14 hours later. Smell is hugely herbal and floral, reminfs me of my mother's gardens.

WOW, this tastes like I am drinking the air from a dead-cedar bog somewhere in the vicinity of Seney. Anybody know about "The Seney Stretch?" Open the windows next time you drive this 45 mile long dead-straight and flat peice of road, and you'll know the smell I mean! Herbal, floral, and a little piney, the hops overlay a slightly caramel and toasted malt. Leaves an aftertaste of herbal crisp hoppiness.

Moderate body definitely lets you know it's there without being too thick. Carbonation is light and dances on the tongue.

Spectacular brew! Makes me happy to live in Michigan!

08-30-2005 17:45:09 | More by sopor
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer was poured into a standard pint glass. The color is dark golden with a thick head that has excellent retention. It has a wonderful hop aroma with malt in the background. Upon tasting, it has a nice full hop flavor with traces of pale malt. There is some hint of subdued fruitiness from the yeast (almost imperceptible). The hop finish is very tasty. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

What can I say? I had this from the cask at Bell's recently and thought having it from the bottle for the first time in a long time was going to be a let down...it wasn't. This is probably one of my favorite commercial beers and probably will remain so for some time. This one is a must for hop lovers. The full hop flavor is just right in my opinion, nice and strong without being over-the-top.

9/3/07 - I revisited my original scoring almost a year later while enjoying yet another. After numerous American IPA tastings, this beer remains one of my top 3 for the style, if not my personal favorite - such a great beer. It's an all-time classic.

08-15-2006 16:42:56 | More by scoobybrew
corby112

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Served cask-conditioned at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

One of the best examples of a well balanced IPA. Pours a hazy golden orange with a foamy white head. Beautiful aroma of floral and citrus hops with a solid malt backbone. One of the smoothes easieest drinking IPAs I've ever had. A nice balance of maltiness and citrus and floral hops. Awesome!

11-28-2008 08:01:18 | More by corby112
benito

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

It's been nearly a year since I last had a Two Hearted, which I've already reviewed here, but which, upon tasting it again, compelled me to sit down and right a review.

I should reveal my bias before going any further: I believe that this is one of the single best beers brewed in America today.

It pours a transparent copper and tangerine with appropriate head and good carbonation. The bouquet is dominated by hops, a floral sniff that is both straitforward and defined, though not overwhelming. As with the appearance, the beauty of this beer lies in its measure, its balance, its restraint.

As for taste, Two Hearted is the standard by which all other IPAs should be measured: a clean, hop bitterness that occasionally surprises me, perhaps as a reminder to say, 'don't forget what's driving this beer.' And yet, it's balanced by a crisp sweetness that imparts a refreshing quality to the beer that is quite remarkable. Beyond this, it's the simplicity here is what strikes me again and again: this brew perfectly captures its style with a striking simplicity, and I can't imagine how it could be improved upon. Whereas many other IPAs or Double IPAs (and very good ones at that), strive for shocking levels of hops or a more complex palate, Two Hearted seems content to reveal itself quickly and cleanly and perfectly, again and again.

Exemplary in every way.

11-23-2005 23:49:57 | More by benito
UncleBubba

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This is probably my favorite American IPA. I have tried a ton of IPA's lately, and this one just blew me away. The smell, the taste, the drinkability, the balance are all phenomenal! Two Hearted Ale is an damn good beer. Scratch that, GREAT beer. It's tastes very fresh in comparison to a lot of IPA's I've tried. If you're a fan of this beer style, you should definitely check this one out.

11-26-2009 01:16:50 | More by UncleBubba
SiggyFay

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This is very hard to obtain in my area. I have to resort to smuggling this beer either south of the Mason Dixon Line or south from Virgina as it is not distributed in The Old Line State.

Fortunately after contacting Derek @ Bells he directed me to locations close to me in the states mentioned above. He also reassured me that MD was on the "short list" of states they want to enter once they can open a new brewhouse hopefully in 2012. Woohoo!

But it is worth the gas spent to have this tasty beverage again and again.

While I prefer to drink it from a insulated or traditional pint glass it stands up very well straight out of the bottle while camping or when glasses are not available.

A great balance of sweet and bitter. Hands down what I believe to be the best American IPA in the country to date.

06-07-2011 13:09:46 | More by SiggyFay
LooseGasCap

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Bold hop notes meet the nose. Smooth drinking and light lacing on the glass. Clean, crisp grapefruit flavors with a slight bitterness in the finish. The golden amber color is a tribute to the sunsets of the Midwest. One of my favorite beers of all time.

02-17-2014 00:10:26 | More by LooseGasCap
vandywisky

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This is, quite simply, one of the best American IPAs on the market. It's made by Bell's Brewery in Michigan. It's popular in Michigan, Ohio, and other midwestern states. It's a tad pricey ($10.99 is a good deal for a six-pack) but it's definitely worth it. It packs a punch at 7%, but the high ABV isn't overwhelming in the taste. One of my favorite beers. You can't get it in Texas as of right now. Come on, Bell's! Send some Two-Hearted our way! Some Oberon, too!

05-26-2012 21:20:10 | More by vandywisky
aepb1

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Clear golden yellow with a small white head

S- Citrusy hoppy smell that makes you really want to try the beer to see what it tastes like.

T- Not at all disappointed from the smell. Citrusy hops throughout but not so much so that it's overpowering other than the constant citrus, a normal american IPA

M- Nice full bodied ale with a crisp dry aftertaste but it's not too dry

D- The not too dryness of the aftertaste makes you want more and it's probably the best american IPA I've had

05-26-2010 02:48:35 | More by aepb1
GregBrewski

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

One of the best IPA's I have ever had.
It has a semi transparent orange color with a nice creamy tan head, that goes away quickly. The smell and taste however, are wonderful. I just kept smelling it over and over until one of fiends told me to finally taste it. The smell was compromised mostly of sweet spices, orange peel, coriander, and hints of hops. The taste was spicy, a good blend of hops and fruity tones. A perfect amount of carbonation and alcohol (which isn’t very noticeable) make this brew easily drinkable.
Wish I had more and will definitely purchase more in the future. Highly recommend this one to the IPA fans!

12-03-2006 05:44:57 | More by GregBrewski
TeHStalker

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance:This beers pours a wonderful golden color with a slight yellow hue. The head lingers wonderfully and gives it a classical pale ale type look with a nice white foam.
Smell: gives off a very strong nice centennial hop aroma with notes of bitterness and citrus. Strong hop smells linger.
Taste: Medium bodied with a decent alcohol presence up front. Finished quite smooth and also gives a citrusy and bitter feel on the pallet.
Mouth: Pretty dry with a bitter feel. The carbonation definitely isnt overwhelming like in some IPA's and sits well in the pallet.
Overall: Great beer. Gotta be in my top 5. All around the board you cant poke anything wrong with this beer. Very well balanced and not overwhelming for an IPA. Usually overpriced though...

02-06-2012 19:07:33 | More by TeHStalker
BB1313

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this one before. In my opinion, this is just about the perfect IPA. I have a couple others I love just as much, but technically this is just about perfect. Pours a beautiful hazy golden, nice bright white head and good lacing. Smells great, lots of citrus and tropical fruits up front. The flavors are immaculate and subtle. The bitterness from the hops is great, but nowhere over the top. The keyword is balance. Mouthfeel is great, perfect carbonation. It's very smooth, feels medium-bodied, maybe pushing full. Drinkability is off the charts! Alcohol is unnoticeable and the flavors are outstanding, making it very drinkable. All around enjoyable beer, even if IPAs aren't your thing.

I tend to take this beer for granted. I don't drink it nearly as much as I should. What sets this one apart from other IPAs is the flavors and balance. Pure winner from Bell's!

02-12-2011 18:20:32 | More by BB1313
NolanGTI

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Um...wow. Pours a much clearer pour than in bottles. A nice small head with a copper body. The head dances around a bit during drinking and this beer makes love to the side of the glass and doesn't want to let go. Like the bottle, huge pine and citrus in the nose. An absolute overflow of fresh hop flavor in the mouth with just the right amount of playfulness in the mouth, not enough to overwhelm the flavors. I could drink this all day..if it didn't put me under the table first.

03-24-2006 20:39:48 | More by NolanGTI
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

One bottle of this at Beer Bistro a few weeks back has skyrocketed this beer into top spot on my list of favourite IPAs. I don't know if it was just the shock of finding Bell's stuff in Ontario but, man, what a fantastic beer. The aroma was shockingly hoppy, with those great American pine-and-grapefruit hop flavours shining through but not overpowering. Expertly balanced flavour, with those same hop flavours supported by a great malt backbone. Restrained carbonation, and zero off-flavours all the way through. I love this beer. I want more. Much more. Perhaps a trip to Michigan is in my future...

10-20-2007 21:24:16 | More by crwills
beachbum1975

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Cask conditioned pour at Dilly Deli today.

This version poured a super cloudy gold color with an AMAZING white creamy head that stays forever This is the best looking head I have seen to date. The lace was super sticky throughout . It clung and held strong the entire time. At the end of the pint, I noticed some small greenish and golden chunks lingering at the bottom. Not certain if it was reminisce from the cask or unfiltered hops!

The smell and taste were both phenomenal. Like my earlier review from the keg pour, but even richer floral, grapefruit and freshly cut grass flavors throughout. Much less carbonation, and a thicker drink then on tap - which is to be expected in a cask...

Highly recommended if you can find it cask conditioned!

05-10-2008 01:04:46 | More by beachbum1975
TechMyst

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: Bottle (Conditioned)
FRESH: Consumed 1 month after production
PURCHASED @: Binny’s McHenry
COST: $6.99/6-pack [SALE!]
HEAD: average frothy/foamy; white; fully diminishing
LACE: excellent
COLOR: Hazy light amber
AROMA: Light grain; no yeast or citrus elements; heavy flower/herb/pine/spruce HOPS!
MOUTHFEEL: Medium to light
PALATE: Oily coating; soft/flat natural conditioning
TASTE: START- light sweet; moderate bitterFINISH- heavy bitter; long lasting
COMMENTS: Completely unbalanced! But that’s a good thing here!!! All Hops are a good thing. Much like the DFH strain. This is the ultimate sipping brew. Nectar of the humans!
CONDITIONS: MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n(good ANY time though)WITH FRIENDS-Y SIPPING-Quintessential! GET MY BUZZ ON- Hell, yeah!

09-21-2006 06:19:16 | More by TechMyst
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. brown bottle with no dates.

Hazed straw/orange color with a large white froth that leaves lace.

Candy sweet orange peel aromas with floral, herbal and a touch of conifer. Big sweet oranges.

Orange flavors again in the flavor. Medium body with a resinous hop coating and a touch of slickness from the EtOH. Bitterness comes in with a pine note. Sweet but balanced by lemon, grapefruit and herbal notes that linger long on the palate. Tastes like orange candy with a finishing hop bite!

I've been drinking the hell out of this for a while, but I've been so busy enjoying it that I've had a hard time making myself review it. The bee's knees.

04-20-2006 01:41:46 | More by Shultzerdugen
evanackerman

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

can't beleive i haven't reviewed this one yet, it has been a favorite for a long time now.

This beer pours a beautiful gold with a tinge of orange and a huge pillowy head that lasts all throughout consumption and leaves wispy lacing on the glass.

The aroma of this beer is incredible. Fresh baked bread and herbal hops to the extreme, i almost like the aroma of this more than the taste, except that the taste is also awesome.

taste is a lovely balance of bready malt and floral hops with a touch of fruity hoppiness but not the grapefruit bomb that dominates many American IPAs, the finish is long and pleasant dominated by bittering hops.

mouthfeel is also excellent in this brew, very creamy with just the right carbonation.

this beer is also very drinkable, if i had to drink one beer all day this would be close to the top of my list. Also great for cooking!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer, by far my favorite IPA and, in my opinion, Bell's finest and most consistent beer. a true winner here, please try this if possible.

05-08-2006 19:25:19 | More by evanackerman
saintwarrick

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

This brew pours and orangey, amber. Big head with sticky lacing all around the glass. Aroma is distinctively citrusy and piney with some caramel while the taste reflects a lot of citrus. Big hops explode in this beer but do not overwhelm the smooth taste of this brew. Very clean and smooth despite being hopped up. Big bitter aftertaste lets you know what beer you just drank. Very dry finish. A damn good IPA not to be passed up.

08-18-2007 07:29:37 | More by saintwarrick
skibumdc

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Cask conditioned ale on tap @ RFD in Washington DC.
Thinner mouthfeel than I expected, but I had just finished a barleywine so that may have affected it a little bit.
Nice hop presence but not too powerful. Perfectly malted barley.
Cask conditioning definitely help bnring an extra amount of character to this one.
Aroma was not very present, at least not what I could tell.

04-17-2008 12:44:16 | More by skibumdc
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a hazy gold with a nice white foam head.

Smell is absolutely incredible, with beautiful bright citrus and floral notes, making it extremely appetizing.

Taste has a nice, almost creamy sweetness up front, with a medium body and a pleasingly bitter follow through. Finish is nice and bitter and begs for another sip.

For me, this is the perfect IPA. It has major drinkability, and showcases the hops in the smell, as well as the taste.

I can't possibly say enough about this beer, it is my "desert island" beer, and my favorite of the style hands down.

06-14-2010 17:53:52 | More by Beervis
Baraka

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a deep, beautiful golden orange with a solid head that stains the glass with lace. Nose is grapefruit citrus dominated. Total hop domination for the taste. The grapefruit flavors explode in two distinct waves, leaving behind a lasting hop bitterness. Definite hop resin flavor as well. Medium carbonation levels.

Quite simply one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Definitely a hop bomb, and a tasty one at that. Alcohol is well concealed by the hop flavors, but its so drinkable you just might feel it after having a few! Absolutely stunning, magnificent IPA.

08-10-2010 01:09:11 | More by Baraka
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.