Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Had this from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner style glass from Paoli Peaks lodge in Indiana. Don't hate on my limited skiing abilities.

Pours a hazy very light orange with half a finger head, my color may differ from other reviews, I suspect from dimmer lighting. Leaves very light lacing.

Smells very citric and piney with grapefruit smell being predominant.

Mouthfeel was very light, a very easy drinker.

Taste is exceptional. A very well balanced IPA utilizing the malts and hops on a near perfect level. My first Bell's product and won't be my last, if it were only distributed somewhere in west or middle TN. Until then, I must prepare more trips to Bowling Green.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A-pours a yellow slight orange with a inch or so white head which leaves a nice lacing
S-big hops witha blend of grapefruit and pine which comes off very full and complex with a little bit of a biscut malt in the background
T-again a big hop presence with a nice malt backbone very complex yet still very refrshing
M-very light with a good carbonation when comined with the hop presence gives a very rough fell in your mouthvery refreshing
D- highly drinkable, very light and refreshing while still providing a big ipa hop presence a great balance of ipa flavor while still being very refreshing

4.57/5  rDev +7%

As a portlander I am surrounded with spectacular beer and it is not often that I say "man, I wish (insert beer) was distributed here.". Bell's Two Hearted Ale made me say that today. This ranks among the best citrus IPAs I have ever tasted. I think This has found a place in my top 5 IPAs.

Two hearted is a slightly hazy copper orange color in my Sierra Nevada hop glass, there is some visible carbonation. After the pour the beer had a 3/4 inch cream head and as I drink it leaves sticky lacing. The smell of this beer is absolutely spectacular, I caught whiffs of orange before I was able to get the cap all the way off my bottle. The dominant smell is the citrus hops, but I think I am catching some floral hops as well. The taste starts with a slight sweetness, in the middle of my tongue I get a bit of pine flavor, finally as I swallow the beer I get a strong grapefruit bitterness. This grapefruit lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel for this beer is just where it should be. Overall, the only negative I can see about this beer is that I can't get it at the supermarket.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle from batch 9346, bottled on Sept. 8.

A - Pours a medium orange-yellow. Pretty ample carbonation forms a thick, creamy off-white head. Leaves some streaks of lacing behind.

S - Ah, such a great aroma. Flowery, grassy, with citrus undertones. It's very perfume-y. No detectable malt, honestly.

T - The floral/grassy notes come through enormously in the taste. Finishes slightly dry with a grassy bitterness that just goes and goes. There are some really slight pale malts noticeable in the finish, but not much. The only reason not to give this a 5 is because this is basically a month old, and while still within the realm of fresh, I know it can be a bit better.

MF - The carbonation works great here. Liveliness the washes into a pretty oily feel.

D - Just great. As my hop tolerance has really grown over the last year, so has my considerations for drinkability of IPAs. There's enough dryness to keep you coming back. Also, price wise, this is the best IPA I've had for the money, though it's in a pretty small range of my other favorite IPAs. Regardless, it's in my top three IPAs.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

I love this beer. One of my absolute favorite ipas. I seem never to be in a place or time to review it properly, but I finally find myself alone with a bottle with everyone else in bed and decided to have at it. Pours a beautiful slightly hazy golden with a very healthy head that sticks around and leaves some very nice lacing. The smellis wonderful. Deep and bright aromas of citrusy hops, some slight grassiness, and a slight hint of malt in the back to balance. Perfect ipa aromas in my book. The taste is also wonderful. The same wonderful citrus flavors and bitterness, a slight sense of graininess, and the hops turn earthy and spicy as the flavor goes on. Not the most bitter beer I've had, or the one with the longest finish, or the most perfectly balanced, but the overall package is nice- quite hoppy while retaining a certain subtlety. Very nice. The mouthfeelis full and slightly grainy. I like it, but I'd be happy if it were slightly less grainy. Exquisitely tasty and drinkable.

12oz bottle poured into tulip aug22 2010

A hazy pale golden with lots of little particles being moved around by a few bubbles floating up to a two finger head that lasted for a couple of minuets and left a few specks of lace

S big floral and tropical fruit with a little caramel, quite a nice blend of fruit with a little pine

T again plenty of tropical fruit and a little more pine then I could smell some caramels and no booze whatsoever, enough malt to balance things out preventing the hops from taking over completely

M not sure where all the carbonation comes from because I couldn't see this much in the glass but it creams it up a bit and this beer has great length and sticks to your gums a bit

D this is a great IPA and I was shocked at how easily it went down, for 7%alc it's very dangerous because I would be drinking this at the rate of water and I doubt that would end well

I need to thank irishkyle21 for sending this gem my way it's a great well rounded beer that I would be drinking all the time if I could get it in my area

4.57/5  rDev +7%

My favorite from Bell's. If I am in a bar or restaurant that carriers this , bottle or keg, iThis always my choice. Usually that's what I drink for the remainder of the stay. It's an easy drinking hoppy ale, not as bitter as many imperials or IPAs. There are citrus note but they're not overwhelming.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow, with a slight orange tint. Rather unassuming and unintimidating.

S: Lemons, a little grass. Nice sweet hoppiness here. Good malt.

T: Citrus in the front with a great bitter in the mid-palate, finishing refreshingly and invitingly dry. Great stuff.

M: Rather light mouthfeel for the punch this beer packs, as well as the abv.

D: Yes, please. Anytime. This is definitely one of my favorite all-around beers. Reasonably priced (though still unavailable here in SC), drinkable as hell, and just damn thirst-quenching despite the strength.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Aztec gold with an almost polka dot pattern imprinted by super-fine remnants of suspended yeast. It is brimming, the kind of glimmering brightness that causes me to look up, half expecting to see someone casting a spotlight on it from above. Its head defects in some places but is, generally speaking, thorough and full-bodied. Also, it leaves charming blood splatter like patterns of spotty lacing.

Never mind following the heart - follow your nose! You want super-citrusy fruity hoppiness? We got it. You want sticky, sappy, resiny hoppiness? We got it. The ulta-toasty, caramel-doused malt base - nice as it is - can hardly even be detected under all this hoppiness. It is an intoxicating acidic array, a tropical jungle full of citrus fruits, a rainbow of bright and vibrant colours. It will induce the hop-head into a zen-like state of nirvana.

Hop heads eat (literally, drink) your heart out! This tastes a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Zesty orange peel, candied grapefruit, grilled mango squirted in lemon juice, caramelized coconut, spiked pineapple puree - it is all and every ounce of flavour you can hope to find in an American IPA. The malt provides just enough biscuity caramel to keep the acidity afloat and the pungency at bay; with that help, the hops can really go to town - and they do.

Two-Hearted gets right at the heart of the matter - hops. It is the nectar of the hoppy beer gods. Hop farmers should devote a ritual involving this beer to appease the gods. Sacrifice it, sacrifice something to it, do some kind of dance, make a donation to charity in its name, pour it all over the seeds and soil - do whatever it must take to make the hop gods happy so that we can continue to rejoice in the sappy, citrusy goodness of lupullin.

This is easily one of the best IPA's - and I refuse to disclaim that as merely my own opinion. Survey 100 BA's and ask them to describe the perfect IPA. It is likely that all 100 accounts, however different in their respective portrayals, will each and every one depict, in one facet or another, the Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It is simultaneously one of the most flavourful, most aromatic, most sessionable and satisfying beers out there.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. That must be true; the occasions I get to have this beer are few and far between but each time I come back to it, I seem to love it more than the time before. Its quaffability, its quality of ingredients, the vibrant and satiating presence of so many Centennial hops - this may honestly be the best IPA in an American market that knows no shortage of great IPA's.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

At first, way too bitterly unbalanced. Much like Stone Ipa or Ruination. I like those once in a while for a hop assault, but not for more casual drinking. Anyway, the more I drank, the more the nuances showed through. Surprisingly complex and floral with a strong honey presence. Reccomended

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Friend brought this back from Wisconsin for me, first Bells offering i've tried.

Pours hazy light orange with a very fluffy, rocky head which never completely goes away and clumps down the glass. Smells of piny, floral, citrusy hops with a very slight funkiness to it. I like it. First up there's very soft bready malt then an incredibly full, round, lush(but not at all aggressive) orangy pine hop flavor takes over my mouth. Bready malts and a nice medium creamy mouthfeel support it throughout. An interplay of spicy hops and pale toasted malts linger on in the finish. This is really terrific. Such a round, full, yet subtle flavor. Drinkable to the end. Best IPA i've had yet; what it lacks in aggression is made up with its cunning subtlety. Sadly I only have one more bottle.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A - Hazy golden and poured with about a 3/4 inch thick foamy head. Left nice lace throughout the glass. Kept a nice cap throughout.

S - Fruity and hoppy, but not overly hoppy. Nice balance between floral, grapefruit and hops.

T - Yum.

M - Subtle malt, but nice floral / hoppy taste. Perfect carbonation. Everything mixes well.

D - Very smooth for a 7%er... one of my favorite IPA's... other than my homebrew, of course!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

The beer is a cloudy yellow probably due to the fine layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, and moreover due to Bell's unfiltered nature. The head has an initial whipped cream-like appearance on first pour, then forms an everlasting wispy cloud-like patch on the top of the beer with lacing on the sides of my imperial pint glass. Even more noticeable is this beer's candy-like smell with some sort of strange interplay between the malts and the wonderfully smelling floral hops. Smells more like a gumball to me than Gumballhead! Taste is where it comes together in an interesting almost butterscotch candy sweetness (diacetyl alchohol) washed back with those bitter hops! I'm not sure if this is one of the great before or after dinner beers. Despite it's paler appearance this is one rich and filling beer at 6.0% abv. Mouthfeel is about where a beer like this should be, perhaps a tad thin. Pretty dang drinkable and those hop burps are great!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

From a bottle at Against the Grain in NYC.

Pours a cloudy copper. Topped by a fluffy, meringue-like, white head with good retention. The aroma is hop-focused: delicious orange-blossom citrus and resiny hops. There's also a bit of a raw sugar undercurrent.

There's a toasty malt backbone with a light, raw sweetness. There's a nice citric hop flavor with a light herbal, resiny kick. Well balanced, there's a focus on the hop flavors rather than the hop bitterness. Light-bodied with a nice kick from the carbonation.

Well balanced. All of the hop flavor is there with just enough of the bitterness.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Pours slightly cloudy and golden with a big rocky white head that persists for quite some time. Aroma is citrusy hops, lemons, there is definitely some noticable sweetness present as well, a bit of sweet oranges, very enticing. Taste is sweet malt combined with citrusy and herbal hops- nicely balanced and similar to the smell. It finishes with a pleasing lingering hop bitterness and a distinct biscuity flavor. Mouthfeel medium and moderately carbonated- just about right for this. This stuff is very drinkable. Tastey and so nicely balanced (for an IPA) there's nothing to get tired of. In fact, I'm going to get another right now.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

12 oz bottle purchased at Bell's. Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep golden/orange, cloudy body. Tall, foamy white head.

S: Full of sweet floral and citrusy hops.

T: Again, the taste is full of hops. Grapefruit with some slight piney notes. Seems to be balanced by some malt, as it is not overly bitter and has a slight breadiness to it. A dry finish and aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied. Very smoothe.

D: Very good, flavorful and well balanced. Goes down almost too easily. Hoping Bell's starts ditributing in New Jersey soon because I need to get some more of this.

Poured into pint glass
Hazy golden wheat color- Big rocky cloud deck of clean, white foam
Fantastic perfume aroma of floral hops and juicy citrus
Taste- Big hops up front with orange rind and grapefruit juiciness close behind-a delicious finish that begs for another taste
If you dig IPA's or are a "hophead" this is a truly outstanding offering that will make you want to sit in a deck chair and stare out at a lake somewhere in Northern Michigan!
If you don't have everyday access to this beer it is definitely worth buying a case or two
Get some!!!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Beautiful, slightly hazy apricot body with a fluffy, yet sticky off-white head. Hugely aromatic citrus hops--orange, lemons, and grapefruit. Lean malt backing lends a nice sugary complement to the heavenly hops. Taste: some malt up front, fruity with a bit of caramel. Big citrus hops dominate. Big, but not too big, in bitterness. This has just an amazing citrus taste to it! Finish is long, acidic and bitter. Big feel for it's size, and very drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Thap...thap, thap. The sound of whole hop laden vines descending on your buds in a blitzkrieg of bitterness. If not for a decent dose of malt your mouth might be puckered into 2004. Bouquet of hard lemon candy and catnip. A hop assault on the senses. Aggressively carbonated and wild. Is there some airborne yeast in Kalamazoo Larry Bell has decided to culture?

This will be my last review until I can get some taste buds surgically implanted on my tongue. Yikes!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Had this beer at Tallahassee brew-fest

A lot of people like to glorify bells, and proclaim this to be "the best ever" for IPA's, and I don't like to buy into the hype

I also do not like IPA's, so I'm the first to rip them apart, but I just cant bring myelf to hat this beer
Its just too good, and thats coming for a malt loving beer snob like myself

The hops character does not grate on your taste buds like so many other IPA's, and its mouthfeal/body reflects its hopp bitterness perfectly

If you see it, get it. Its a great IPA, and although its not my favorite, I feel like its a a very well made brew that deserves the reputation it has.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

I tried this again, after having a bad pour on my first sampling (over a year ago). This one poured a clear gold with lots of white head. It smelled like lots of floral and grassy hops, with a bit of caramel malt. It tasted like floral and grassy hops with sweet peach and a bit of malt. It was oily with no carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was much better than my first sampling. It was delicious and clean and makes me want to drink more and more of it. My only suggestion is that it could have used a bit more body.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This is one of my utmost favorite IPAs. It has a fantastic hop character with a sweeter flavor accompanying it, I can't put my finger on what that sweet flavor is, but it compliments the hops beautifully.

A) Decent sized head upon pouring, just about to overflow my pint glass but decided not to. The color is gold with a slight red tint.

S) The smell is amazing, hoppy and fruity pebbles, awesome.

T) Hoppy, but extremely well balanced, more so than any other IPA I have tried.

M) Slightly bitter, and then sweet/citrusy, definitely delicious.

D) This is perhaps too drinkable, is there is such a thing. Absolutely delicious beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This is my old stand-by. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, Two Hearted does the trick. Pours an amber, orangish color. The smell is flowers, pine, and citrus. The taste is incredibly complex and wonderful - bitter, sweet at times, piney (?), and more. Easily one of my personal favorites.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This is a beer I go to a out of my way to get on tap. Good hoppy sweet smell and dark amber color. Head laces around the glass and sticks around for most of the beer. The alchol is mildly present. Good drinkability not one of pound-able beer though, meant to be enjoyed.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.