Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,679 | Reviews: 3,424
4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. This is one damn fine example of an American IPA. Fine craftsmanship here.

A: Pale yellow or a hazy orange. Poured vigorously and the head was a good 2 fingers. Nice lacing here as well.

S: Floral hop aroma with plenty of citrus burn on the back of the nose. Great.

T: This is one tremendous IPA. Hops are powerful and hit right to the taste without messing around. The balance was there and the citrus bitterness was tight.

M: Absolutely great coating from the oily hops that has such good texture.

D: The alcohol is hardly noticeable and it just goes down so smooth, I could drink these all night- wish I was able to get more out East. I put this one right on part with the 90 minute.

Definitely recommend, not much more to say. Thanks Jtrockchalk for this one, cant wait for more of these.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a 1.32 Gallon MINI KEG of Two Hearted! I had no idea they sold these and I had to buy it.

Bubbley off-white 2 finger head that leaves lacing all over the place. Hazy straw colored yellow, but with strong orange hues; a golden orange galaxy. Delicious citrusy aromas, where grapefruit seems to dominate the aroma hops. The hoppiness does not overpower some sweet maltiness that pulls through, even in the aroma. Same hop presence in the taste, but with a nice orange zest, balanced by the same sweet caramel, slightly bready maltiness that reminds me a little of the german malt profile common in oktoberfests. Hop oils leave a little bit of tanin feeling on your tounge. Yummy beer, very well carbonated. I have this 1.32 gallon keg between two of us for tonight...so pretty drinkable. I finish one and really want another. This is the IPA that I will use to judge every other IPA; so so close to perfect.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Pours a golden yellow hue with a 1.5 finger eggshell head which leaves a good amount of lacing when it fades. Not to much carbonation is visible.

S- Smells is prodomenately grapefruit and citrus hops, also there is a bready, malty backbone

T- Much more tame than I was expecting but in a good way. Exquisitely balanced grapefruit hops that end sweet and malty. I like this one because even though it has a defined hop presence, it really doesn't overpower anything.

M- Medium bodied, with carbonation a little on the low side for my tastes but this doesn't detract from the brew overall.

D- This is a hugely drinkable IPA. I love IPAs and DIPAs with the grapefruit/citrus hops and this one has that in spades. It's well balanced but my only beef with it is theres nothing that really jumps out and grabs me about it. Would be great (and deadly) to session.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Amber colored beer with thin white head. Has a nice fruity aroma I can smell a mile away with a good oily hop coming out closer to the beer. Pretty amazing taste. A good amount of hops up front followed by the sweet esters...and as the bitter hop fades the sweet/smooth malt flavor is brought out. Drinks pretty well...a good beer to enjoy most of the night.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Giant can. Pours with a nice rich head good lacing. Cloudy copper.

Smell is floral, citrusy hops.

Taste is predominantly bitter with just a hint sweetness taming the citrusy, piny brew.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thick/medium. Slightly less carbonated than I'd expect. Perhaps from the can.

Overall a nice brew, I may be able to finish this can by myself.

2.8/5  rDev -34.4%

I poured this hppy brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice golden color with a cloudy look. The beer smelled hoppy and was. It is great for what it is I'm sure and has a high rating, but I did not like it. Way to bitter for me and alcohol was right tight also. Not going to purchase this one again

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I like this one better on tap than bottle--of course, that's almost always true, but in this case I've had both on multiple occasions. This is a well-rounded IPA, but I'd prefer a bit more flavor. That's just my preference. It seems to do better on a clean palette. This may be my next favorite IPA after Avery's.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

This IPA pours a darker golden amber with a bright white head that holds very well and clings to the glass leaving great big walls of foamy lace.

Big, hoppy, piney aroma. Sweet, malty citrus: orange peel and grapefruit. Slightly spicy, but mostly lots of pungent floral/bitter hops. Exactly what I look for in this style.

Even more hops, bitter and mouthwatering. Some toasty malt and citrus. Subtle notes of pine and spice. Really well balanced and complex in flavor. Not a jumble of flavors; everything is well pronounced and organized. The flavors blend beauitfully.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp and bitter but with a good lingering hoppiness. Not too dry. One of my favorite everyday IPAs. Also one of the best representations of the style that I can think of. Flavorful and very well balanced. Really excellent.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz picked up in Madison from some of the best coworkers a beer guy could wish for. Poured into a shaker pint while grooving to the Cowboy Junkies.

Beautiful orange... very pretty color... like a translucent orange poppy... a little hop haze is expected.. pillowy 1-finger head.

You know this is going to be good... huge citrus aroma with a little pine needles. I've always thought Two Hearted is one of the best smelling IPA's ever.. that being said, this one may be a little aged... but still it blows most others out of the water... some nice caramel malts are apparent but are whispy.. overpowered easily by the hops.

Tastes very much like a West Coast IPA.. great balance... perfect balance for an IPA... not overly bitter... mmm. Grapefruit and lime leaves... malts are very prescent, but hard to pick apart. Toast and biscuits. Perfect mouthfeel and carbonation despite the rough luggage ride. Yummy.

Two Hearted and I go back a couple of years, and this time is not my favorite... maybe not the freshest bottle... but, I hate saying this (living in the West), a never ending keg of brewery fresh Two Hearted is my desert island beer ... as long as I have a nice malty German keg too. :)

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

I have long been a fan of Bell's, but somehow never tried the two hearts. After hearing all the hype surrounding this beer, I finally decided to try it with a friend. The results are as follows:

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle and immediately noticed the amazingly rich golden color that is very hazy...similar to a hefeweisen. I would say this beer must be unfiltered. On top lay a frothy white head that worked its way down to a thin layer of lacing from edge to edge of the glass. I honestly don't know how this could be improved, so I gave it a perfect 5.0 on the appearance.

The aroma of this beer is nothing short of enticing. I smell some hops but mostly fruit...probably dried apricots or something similar.

Finally, the taste. A little hard to describe. It's a simple beer that just tastes good. Not incredibly hoppy, and definitely not malty while it rests in the mouth. Well balanced, but with no distinguishing (i.e. overbearing) flavors sticking out. The beer does seem to be dry hopped as it goes down the throat (in no way is this unpleasant!).

I want to keep drinking this beer just to figure out what that taste is. That means I ranked the drinkability high.

My review of the taste may seem harsh, but in reality it's just because I'm having trouble describing it. An amazing beer overall...definitely living up to the hype.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Pretty orange amber, good clarity, pleasing medium sized head, decent retention, medium lacing.

S = A very strong hops bouquet. Can also detect the sweetness of the malt though, this is not simply a hopheads delight. Good floral highlights but more complex than simply hops.

T = Hops are immediately apparent in the taste, but there is also a sweet malt flavor, slight caramel taste, some fresh cut lemons, fresh cut flowers. More complex than most IPAs I've had recently. A very good flavor, very well balanced.

M = Light to medium body, good carbonation, good mouthcoating. It makes my mouth happy.

D = Good drinkability whether looking for a one time IPA to enjoy or for several to enjoy in an evening. I definitely recommend this beer.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

A- Well this is quite a beautiful IPA. Semi-translucent Rusty-orange-amber body that pours with an impressive 3 finger foamy off-white head. Head fades slowly to one finger and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Quite promising. A beautiful bouquet of hops with a citrus aroma upfront and pine, floral, and grassy mixing well in the background.

T- Initial flavor is mild and highlights a balance of citrus and grassy hop flavor. Floral and pine hop flavor seem to mix well for the finish-with the floral hop flavor being semi-dominant. A blast of hop bitterness also enters for the finish. All that lingers is a medium strength resonance of hop bitterness. All the beautiful hop flavors are gone.

M- Medium to high carbonation and mildly oily body.

D- After having great IPAs like Alesmith, Racer 5, Centennial, and SN Anniversary this one doesn't even compare to me. Its not bad-and I can certainly drink it but is only an average IPA to me. I was somewhat disappointed because it could not compare.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

This review is of the 5 L mini-keg that just made its way to South Central PA. Kudos to Westy's for bringin' in a whole pallet of 'em. If you feel strongly that I should classify the serving type as something else, drop me a beermail.

A: The ale has a hazy orange color, like a tea or apple juice. The keg pours with a thick 3 plus finger head that requires two pours to fill my glass. Light hints of dried lace evidence that head.

S: The nose is hoppy delicious, thick with orange peel and citrus notes. Solid but subtle caramel malts support the hop nose.

T: Does life get any better than sittin' and sippin' on an IPA like this? The hop profile in this beer is damn near perfect, an excellent blend of citrusy tangerine and sweet but bitter orange peel. Caramel graininess mid-sip seems to rejuvenate the mouth, resetting it for the blast of hops at the end of the sip. The hop profile, either warm or cold, is a real treat, bitter without scalding the tastebuds. This is, by far, one of my all-time favorites.

M: Sweet pungent hops dominate the ale, creating an incredible hop profile that almost defies words. This is easily one of the best IPAs that you'll ever encounter.

D: With proper focus and devotion, I think that i could finish the mini keg in one day. As it is, it'll probably only last two days (this is a good one for the Ravens MNF game). This is not the only mini keg that I'll be purchasing.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Orange/brown with yellow highlights. This beer is non transparent. After a semi agressive pour, it leaves a bright white head of only one finger. After drinking this one down, it leaves a little sticky lace on the glass and the 1/8" of bright white film still covers the top of the surface.

S- Man, where to begin. This to me is one of the greatest aspects of this beer. The first smell to me is pineapple. Next, I pick up oranges (citrus) and alot of hop smell. I also can pick up bananas on the end of the nose.

T- The tastes follow closely with the nose: very hoppy, fruity and sweet. I can detect that this is a moderately high ABV beer since I can taste the alcohol, but very well hidden. It also leaves a bitter after taste.

M- Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Middle thickness, carbonation is just right and the malt applied makes this beer smooth as silk.

D- Very drinkable beer. Easy going down, easy on the nose. I love seeing this one in my glass knowing it is mine.

I really like this beer! For what it is worth, this is one of my new favorite beers. I just wish I did not have to fly up north to pick it up. I usually visit MN for work, so I know the next time I go there what will be flying back home with me in my luggage.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Cought a few of these (mind the pun) over Thanksgiving. Beautiful label that matches an equally beautiful pour. Good colored head heaping with a hoppy smell. The first bite was tastey and resolved itself well without stingy like lesser pale ales. Sitting on the table through out the meal this beer lost little of its flavor as it returned to near room temperature. Not a beer for everyone because of its strong taste, but certainly a good choice for anyone looking for an IPA to love.

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

V.07

An extremely inviting pour of a golden-hued darling is well carbonated, with a fair amount of patchwork lacing. Unfortunately, the aromatics aren't as pronounced as the flavor, but it'll suffice. Two Hearted has more of a vegetable hop rather than citric, and I wouldn't isolate pine as noteworthy. Refreshing with a focused delivery, as an upfront juicyfruit dominates hop bitterness and ends up "wet", but with a mild soap finish.
Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

There's probably not many folks that need me to tell them this a good drinkin' beer.

A beatiful golden hue sends up a delicious blossom of hops to the nose.

The first sip of Bell's Two Hearted Ale nearly tricks you into thinking it's a sweeter beer, but the bitter hoppiness on the backside reminds you that you're drinking a nice, hearty Pale.

All in all an excellent beer. Good smells, great taste, pleasurable on the tongue.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

I like this beer, a lot.

A - Golden-orange color, poured a bubbly 1" head that sat down to a nice creamy 1/2"

S - Initial pine scent, a lot of hops, with an uncommon lingering sweetness, almost like sugar, sort of like standing next to one of those stands at the fair that makes the candied almonds, mmm.

T - A lot of hoppy bitterness, balanced well with a malty richness. Finishes with a lot of hops. Bitterness hangs on the tongue and mouth indefinitely. If you're familiar with rating wine, the taste of this beer definitely has a long decay, lingering well after the sip is gone - that's a good thing.

M - Smooth and light at first, pretty good with a decently balanced ABV for this American IPA. Stays smooth, and becomes a little heavier when it unavoidably mixes with your saliva as your mouth waters from the bitterness and deliciousness.

D - As the taste fades from each sip, I want to go back for more. A very drinkable beer, not to heavy (though the alcohol content should be noted), a very satisfying blend of hop and malt for an American IPA. This is a staple go-to beer for me.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Finally got my hands on some more Bells after they pulled out of Illinois. This IPA pours a cloudy golden orange liquid with a decent amount of carbonation trails. A nice fluffy chunky head leaves thick sticky lace about the glass. Powerful floral and fruity hops nose. Some piney grass elements. Taste is a full on hoppy affair. Seems some what tempered by sweet malt elements. The sweetness also hints at grapefruit and green apples. Mouthfeel is fairly full for such a hop centered brew. Finishes a bit tart. I found this to be a drinkable beer, not something you want to session, but a good dinner or conversation beer.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

The appearance is golden, somewhat cloudy with a rich creame head. It has a great flora aroma which lets you know immediatly what you're about to experience. The tast is upfront with a high hop tast. It is very bitter in the true essence of an IPA style beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to NCSUdo for the sample.

Nice 3 finger head with great head retention. Cloudy orange color.

Smell is of faint pale malts and of strong cascades (I think).

Taste is nicely balanced between pale malts and cascade hops. Very nice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Tastes like it was injected with carbonation. That's my only problem with this beer.

Such a nice and balanced beer. I could make a session out of this.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy orange-gold with a golden-white head of decent size and density.

S: Very fragrant hops with a slight malt underbelly.

T: Hoppy but not very complex. Slight alcohol flavor coming through.

M: A little weak tasting; not very full. Carbonation is a good level.

D: Going down nice and smooth, and the buzz is hitting me pretty good. I've seen this on tap at a couple of local places and will be looking forward to having this with meals in the future.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Received a bottle from a friend.

A- Pours a nice deep gold, slightly cloudy, with a nice creamy white head.

S- Strong floral hop aroma, very inviting.

T- Well balanced, soft malty flavor up front with a nice dry finish.

M- Very smooth, a nice velvety texture, good body.

D- At 7% ABV this is not a session beer, but a nice refreshing drink none-the-less.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Orange amber color with light foamy head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves lacing all the way down. Aroma is of grapefruit and pine, some fruitiness foreshadows the rich sweet taste. For me, a good balance between hops and malt. Feels substantial in your mouth. I drink this beer all the time. It has great hop flavor with rich malty sweetness and doesn't cost a lot. My favorite IPA for the price.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Was poured for me at Bricco in Akron

A: A cloudy apricot color with almost no head to speak of. The lace was reluctant at times, but left it's mark.

S: Conifer, hoppy and a hint of sweet pineapple. Faint, but present.

T: Citrusy with a touch of spice. Strong hops out weigh the citrus a little, leaving me wondering what more of a balance would be like. Good IPA.

M: Nice medium-ish body but a little too bitter on the finish.

D: Good for one beer. I am glad I tried it, but might not be my first choice in ordering again.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.