Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,333 | Hads: 13,230
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Tried this for the first time on tap this weekend. Wow! Very good beer for the hophead. Pours a very clear yellow with a nice white head. Very strong hop aroma is one of the first things noticeable. The flavor is full of hops as can be expected, and I found citrusy overtones in the hop flavor, a nice blend of bitterness to round out the flavor. The beer has a medium body, so you could definitely drink a few of these without feeling "full". If you like a high hopped ale, this is very drinkable. I had two, and found by the end of the second one, I was starting to reach my limit on that particular hop flavor. So, it seems to me that it would be great in moderation, but not something I could drink all night long.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to Panichi for bringing this beer all the way to Japan.

A - Hazy light yellow body with extremely thick creamy head and thck lacying.
S - Extra fruit aroma of sweet apricot, pineapple and of course oranges.
T - fine balance of bitterness, fine lightly sweet malt, the flavors really go on rampage on the back of my palate.
M - Very light carbonation. Stunningly vibrant.
D - If they had this on tap in prison, I would say please lock me up! Great stuff!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Now that's an IPA!

Being a fisherman I might be partial to this beer (nice label).

Pours nicely into my glass. Good head retension, the head stays for a bit before it departs. Then the beer looks flat. Good color and a little hazy.

The smell is delicious! Like taking a walk down hop street. Good garden fresh floral hop smell.

Taste is great! Tons of flavor. Hops, citrus, good good stuff. A tad too sweet for me. I might suspect after a few this might sit heavy in the stomach, needs to be more dry.

My new favorite IPA? A IPA that relies on taste, not bitterness, that will always empty my wallet if I see it on the shelves.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer was poured into a standard pint glass. The color is dark golden with a thick head that has excellent retention. It has a wonderful hop aroma with malt in the background. Upon tasting, it has a nice full hop flavor with traces of pale malt. There is some hint of subdued fruitiness from the yeast (almost imperceptible). The hop finish is very tasty. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

What can I say? I had this from the cask at Bell's recently and thought having it from the bottle for the first time in a long time was going to be a let down...it wasn't. This is probably one of my favorite commercial beers and probably will remain so for some time. This one is a must for hop lovers. The full hop flavor is just right in my opinion, nice and strong without being over-the-top.

9/3/07 - I revisited my original scoring almost a year later while enjoying yet another. After numerous American IPA tastings, this beer remains one of my top 3 for the style, if not my personal favorite - such a great beer. It's an all-time classic.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Poured with an exceptional 3 finger head of some of the thickest and richest foam my eyes have ever seen. The beer itself is a murky burnt orange...which shows streams of carbonation rising to the top.

Smell: One thing I look for in an IPA is a "fresh" scent and this beer nails it. The scent is citrusy...leaning towards oranges. In addition, american hops which smell a bit resiny are present. The hops clearly are American. This is an invigorating scent.

Tastes: The upfront malts are gentle, sweet, and meld right into the zesty floral hop finish. The finish is raw....like right from the garden. it hits with a damn good punch and it lingers.

Mouthfeel: Zesty but a bit thin. Less watery would have been nice

Drinkability: This an IPA that is so agreeable that its hard to drink just one

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I can't say enough about this beer. Simply put, it is one of my favorites.

A- I have to admit pouring this beer into a pint class really brings a smile to my face. It has a nice bronze color with a lot of carbonation that continues to bubble throughout your consumption.

S- Quite a beautiful scent. Lots of hops and hints of Citrus.

T- This IPA tastes great. You get all the hops and citrus flavors without much of the bitterness that seems to be associated with a lot of other IPA's I've tried.

M- Two Hearted Ale is really smooth on the palete. It lacks the acidic aftertaste that I have associated with other IPA's that I have recently tried.

D- A smooth consistent IPA, that still packs a punch when it comes to

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

I'm going to be honest. All I drank before discovering this beaut was the standard mass market brews, with an occasional bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. Nothing prepared me for my first IPA. On a recent trip to Chicago with a beer loving buddy, he recommended this to me to go along with deep dish pizza we were clamoring for.

Appearance = nice amber color, nothing out of the ordinary.

Smell = Mmm citrusy! Grapefruit and oranges.

Taste = A knockout! The malt and hops were in perfect combination, with the hops of course being a bit of an edge. Grapefuit and pine come to mind.

Mouthfeel = Being a newbie to IPA's, I was a big overwhelmed. And only had two bottles for the night..

Drinkability = Excellent! I wish I had bought some more after two bottles.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Batch 7437

A: Pours a slightly hazy light golden in color with a small frothy head. Good sustain with moderate lacing.

S: A strong smell with lemon rind and lots of floral hops aroma.

T: Overflowing with flavor, the hops are surprisingly gentle with their bitterness. Complimented with citrus flavors, the taste is suberbly balanced.

M: Full-bodied for the style with crisp, moderate carbonation. Finishes very dry.

D: Definitely one of the best in the style. Extremely pleasant to drink, and it comes at a great price. This one is up there in my book with HopDevil and Burning River.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Poured from bottle a golden color with 2+finger width head that stuck around forever, good carbonation up the glass, good lacing
S: Smell is very crisp and citrusy
T: Slight malty up front, good citrusy flavor. Not too bitter, perfect amount of hoppiness for my tastes
M: Easy drinking light to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Extremely well ballanced IPA, satisfied my hop fix for the evening

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with hints oif a grainy yellow hue. Light bubbling a lacing add to the visual experience. The aroma is like baking hop biscuits. The flavor compliments the aroma very well in not having too many off flavors from whats set in your palate. A hint of lemon grass can be detected with faint nuances of anise beleive it or not. Good IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

This is one good IPA. Rivals the Stone IPA.
Love the fish on the bottle!LOL
It pours out with average carbonation, mabey 1/2 finger and dissapates slowly. The smell is hoppy and nutty but the floral hops didn't hit me like I was expecting.
There is a spicy hoppy taste that leaves a clove and burnt coffee flavor with a lemony aftertaste.
Very nice drinkability and the slight carbonation and clean feel in the mouth make one want to drink a few of these bad boys.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional IPA. The balance between hop bitterness and sweet malt body is absolutely perfect. Have also had this ale on tap at their brew pub, and it was equally good.

I was surprised to pay $2/case more at the company store than at Russo's, an aggressive beer/wine retailer in Grand Rapids. I wish Bell's would be more helpful on their label and web site about the type of hops, and the IBUs.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

If I drink this beer cold, straight out of the fridge, I enjoy it a lot more.

A: The beer pours a really nice cloudy orange. It has some really nice lacing and the thick head dies after an average lifespan.

S: When the beer is cold enough I can pick up on big citrus notes and even some banana. And, as the back label said, there is a really big floral hop aroma, I mean huge. It still very pleasent.

T: It is very spicy and oily. I can also taste some pair towards the end of a sip. The only other AIPA was really bitter throughout an entire drink. It was too much for me. This one finishes with a taste that is really dry hopppy, and bitter. It is almost like hard liquor. When the beer is really cold, this finishing taste is more of a background taste, not only tolerable, but good. When the beer warms up, it is too upfront and just too much for me.

M: It is smooth and a little thick, very nice.

D: If cold, the beer is an excellent session beer, but if warm, the spicy bittnerness will lower the drinkability.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours from the funky fish bottle to a hazy golden-orange, with off-white head and excellent lacing. Aroma is strongly hoppy, mostly floral and grass, with a hint of citrus. Flavor is much the same, with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Beer ends with a dry finish. All and all, a very enjoyable IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. grabbed a few when I was home visiting.

Appearance: It had a lot of foam and left and nice lace on the sides of the glass. light peach colored and sorta cloudy when poured from the bottle.

Smell: Very floral with some citrus hinted there. Had a very hoppy smell to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Had an average body with a creaminess to it. You can taste the hops in there for sure. I'm not sure of what it tasted like but it had a weird aftertaste to me. Not bad just weird. Dry bitter finish.

In my small town in northern lower MI I had few choices. A lot of Bells, which was nice cause I heard a lot about them. This one was one of the easier to drink beers when I was there. And found myself buying more of these then the other ones.

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Much thanks to Raider for this one.

Orange-amber, with almost hidden hints of green in colour. Thin white head formed during the pour, and faded away during inspection. Scant lacings remained. Slight cloudiness was increased due to condensation on the glass.

Sweet floral citrus and honey notes, accentuated with pine.
Reminescent of orange marmalade, fresh flowers, and the boreal forest. Impressive.

Not as hoppy as other IPAs tasted. Initial clean malt flavours of sweet buttery toffee shifted to the more bitter piney notes from the hops. Almost too well balanced(?) for an IPA. Hoppiness quickly tamed by the sweetness of the malt, and other more aggressive (hoppy) versions of the style leave me wanting more. The finish returns to where it all started, back to the sweetness of the malt, only slightly dimished by the hops.

Almost syrupy in substance, as i was emptying my glass i felt like a kid drinking soda pop. The fine carbonation, along with the sweet and syrupy malts contributing to this near flashback. The hops almost manage to cut through the malts, but dont quite succeed. Would be difficult to drink more than two in one sitting because of its cloying mouthfeel.

As stated earlier the balance favours the malts too much for my liking and personal interpretation of this style. The promises of the aroma were not realized upon drinking this beer. This would be an excellent IPA to try while working on one's tolerance for bolder and hoppier beers, of which there are plenty. Definately worth a try, i was impressed by its aroma, and it may suit your fancy more than mine. Really makes me want their double IPA though, can see how it may more fully realize my ideal, only needing more ETOH and hops to round out the malt.

Photo of
4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz. bottle. Poured a slightly cloudy, orange gold color. Moderate head. Aroma was primarily grapefruit, with an undertone of honey. Taste was almost all hops, with a mixed citrus (oranges and grapefruit flavor). Malt was in a supporting role, and didn't add a whole lot to the flavor, IMO. Medium body, with moderate to high carbonation, drying in the mouth leaving you wanting more. An excellent beer, and as I sit here and look at my glass, I wish I had bought more than 2.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle courtesy of Daalamar: Poured a light orangey color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention. Aroma of floral hops is quiet enticing with a great semi-sweet malt base. Taste of crisp and citrus hops are well mixed with a nice solid sweet malt based. Carbonation is lively and body is about average. Overall a really good example and enjoyable take on the style thought a bit overrated in my opinion.

2.46/5  rDev -42.3%

Henceforth I'm going to call this beer Fishbine. Not because it tastes like fish but because even the fish on the label ain't biii-ne into the hype of the Two Hearted Ale by Bell's. Bell's makes great beer but they also make craft beers and in doing so there are always extremes. Much more brusk than the aftertaste of Oberon, this beer has a citrus bite that rivals the pungent meat of the rind. It literally is rind beer. I know that it is lauded as a summertime delicacy but it is more like drinking the broth of a lemorange peel that sat out in the sun too long and then was chilled. No goodness here.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

On cask at Wonder's Pub. I first had this on tap at the Arbor Brewing Company in Ann Arbor and was blown away by the hops and the depth of flavor. The tap carbonation definitely made for a more assertive ale, which I nonetheless enjoyed immensely. That said, I enjoy this on cask a lot more.

Appearance: Amber with copper hints. 1/2 inch head lingers for several minutes. Medium visibility, with medium/low viscosity. Thick stick lacing on the sides of glass.

Aroma: Grapefruit, heavy honey and orange notes. Refreshing and balanced.

Taste: Despite the hops, this is well balanced. Nice bold grapefruit and anise up front, with a caramel malt and sweet citrus back palate. Yeasty finish, with gradually developing bitter aftertaste that nonehtless remains refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Cask conditioning definitely helps bring out the flavors and renders a smooth mouthfeel. Allows room for both mellow malts and floral hops.

Drinkability: Truly sessionable despite bold flavor. The body isn't too heavy and showcases the hops without making the bitterness oppressive.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a medium ambe with a fluffy 2 finger head, nice longevity and lace. Nice aromas of hops mixed with a fair amount of orange. Malt aromas are present but quickly fade due to the hop aromas. Something seems off in the flavor. I think it is too unbalanced. Yes, it is supposed to heavy on the hop side but its kind of harsh. I think it just needs a bigger malt presence. The hop amounts are fine, as is their flavor, its just a weak malt presence. It is still a good and quality made beer just unbalanced IMHO. If the malts were a bit more dominate, it would make an excellent brew.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Batch 7463 on the label - Pours a hazy orange shade with some suspended yeast particles and an epic white head that sticks around forever. Nose is ...oh man ... hops are superbly aggressive here. Citrus, piney, and ever so slightly sweet. Can they bottle this aroma and sell it in a spray like Febreze? One of the best smelling beers I've enjoyed in a long while. Palate is a hop paradise ... pine and citrus combine with an incredible sweetness and texture that almost brings a tear to the eye. This may well be the best balanced AIPA I've ever had ... could the hop/malt ratio be better? Doubt it. Mouthfeel is soft, thick, and luxurious. Medium bodied. Lingering sweetness and absolutely amazing hop tastes linger in the mouth long after each sip. Where do I begin with one ... you simply must have Bell's Two Hearted. I don't know why it's called Two Hearted and I don't know why there is a fish on the label, but I do know it's the best AIPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming ... and one of the overall best beers made in the USA. More than recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a fluffy almost-white head. The head sticks to the side like glue. Very nice
Smell is fantastically hoppy. Spicy, citrusy hops with a nice subtly-sweet background.
Taste is mellower than expected and suprisingly well balanced. I'm drinking this after a DFH 90 minute, and this is so much better balanced. And smooth. The mouthfeel is moderate, but the smooth carbonation offers a bit of creamyness. This is a damn fine beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bright clear orange-amber with thick, light tan head. Good head retention and lacing. Very good lacing.

Heavy floral hop aroma with light malt in the background. Not overwhelming hoppiness, though. Another beer that I could smell all day long and not get tired of.

Crisp bitterness. Highly hopped but with a nice malt balance. Top notch, both for the style and on its own.

Well balanced mouthfeel. Crisp and dry at the start with mellow finish.

Perhaps the most drinkable IPA I've had this year. I love drinking this beer.

Believe the hype. By far the best Bell's product I've had and an excellent IPA. Period. Worthy of my Beer HoF.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.