2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Ratings: 8,722 | Reviews: 2,963 | Show All Ratings:
CharlieMopps

3.63/5  rDev -15%

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook as part of Beer Geek Week '07.

Crack the Firkin!

A: A slightly hazy/murky deep orange with barely any head from the cask conditioning.

S: Very mellow hop profile, much less than out of the bottle. Appears rather thin, but still a hearty color and enticing bouquet.

T: Hops are out the frame on this one. Cask definitely imparts a different flavor profile for this one, as it tastes more bitter than out of the bottle, but you can definitely taste the freshness as well.

M: Rather thin, but tasty nevertheless. The carbonation is lower of course because of the natural fermentation inside the firkin, but hop residuals are all over the palate still.

D: To be honest, not as drinkable as the bottled version. Nevertheless, it was definitely worth it to taste it out of the firkin in order to see how the beer I know and love changes with its fermentation process.

09-22-2007 19:24:02 | More by CharlieMopps
blakesell

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Sampled on cask at Boston's bistro, 9/13/07.

Appearance- Mellow hazy gold orange with a thick creamy head that doesn't die down even when I offer it money.

Smell- Malt upfront with much floral hop background. Not a lot outside of that, some river soft water scents.

Taste- Creamy and hoppy, I could drink this for quite a bit and will. Hops open up the flavor and the malt comes in and balances it well. This beer, as most real ales have a lot of complexity within.

Mouthfeel- Much like I just ate ice cream. The cream lingers and the abv doesn't hurt things either.

Drinkability- This is so much more drinkable. I could drink this all night if there weren't so many other unsampled taps in this location. I'm very glad that I have sampled it.

09-14-2007 00:18:33 | More by blakesell
Lnedrive14

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Capital Ale House as part of their Beer Geek Week:

A: Nothing special here. Crisp, if hazy orange color. Looks semi-dense, definitely not a thin brew. Very little head, but i think that was because it took a while to get the beer to me.

S/T: Grapefruit and orange peel, good dose of piny hops. Taste has a bit of sugary sweetness to balance out the citrus. Amount of hops is almost perfect - present and powerful, but not dominating.

M/D: To me, it is the mouthfeel that really distinguishes the good IPAs from the great. This is incredibly full-bodied, which really allows the flavors to linger for a while and penetrate to every corner of your mouth. Despite the great list of beers, i almost ordered another one - could have drank this all night.

09-01-2007 20:52:39 | More by Lnedrive14
Atron67

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

This came in the pitcher as a foggy amber with a solid whiteish frothy head that stuck around forever. could smell the piney hops a mile away. This tasted great with a solid hop bitterness throughout, making it a very enjoyable drink throughout there was a medium body to it throughout, and had a big carbonation. this was a great IPA

08-24-2007 12:49:10 | More by Atron67
genog

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this on tap the other night at Gallos Tap Room. 44oz of this beer and thats a great night.
Pours an orange hazy color from the cold tap. Smell is like a huge floral garden. Massive hops make this beer smell amazing. Taste is citrus, hoppy, with an absolutely awesome balance. High carbonation on this one and slight warming alcohol presence make this an all around good presentation.
Over 2 1/2 years ago, long before I was ever a BeerAdvocate, we used to go to Gallos and order this beer to try something different. Two of this would really rock our socks, and make for a nice evening. Little did I know how awesome this beer really is.

08-12-2007 15:50:40 | More by genog
franksnbeans

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My first beer from cask and love it. Cloudy burned orange with a nice off-white head and full lacing down the glass until I finished it. Looks unbelievable. Powerful scents of floral and citrus, strong hops, the nose is much better this time then out of the bottle. Tastes of strong citrus and powerful dry and bitter hops immediately followed by delicious malts. The carbonation is very low which allows more flavors to present themselves. Dry finish is perfect, no bitterness at all. An impeccable brew with an improved twist from the cask. MMM

08-12-2007 02:33:46 | More by franksnbeans
kwakwhore

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap pours a beautiful golden orange with a smallish white head. Citrus pine aromas dominate the smell. Beautifully balanced combination of sweet malt with an understated hop bitterness in the flavor. Silky smooth mouthfeel. A wonderful example of a session IPA with very high marks for drinkability. My first Bell's beer, but it certainly won't be my last.
On tap at Howard's Pub 11/27/09
Simply outstanding. The most citrus in an IPA I've ever encountered. Like eating an orange with peel attached.

08-07-2007 00:49:34 | More by kwakwhore
bigman147

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

On draft at my sister-in-laws wedding

Appearance: Pours a deep orangish amber with an offwhite head (maybe 1-2 inches). Head quickly fades with some sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: My favorite part of this beer. Aromas of fresh herbal hops some citrus, some pine. A balance of several hop varieties. Each playing off each other to give a depth of aroma that keeps you guessing.

Taste: This is an American IPA. Rich full malt with powerful hops. Grapefruit citrus. Cascades hops.By style guidelines its probably on the edge of double IPA with the amount of hop bitterness and flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Full bodied but not thick. Smooth and balanced although very bitter.

Drinkability: If I lived closer to MI or even in a state that sold this, I would drink this every day. Its my favorite Bells and its in the top 5 for favorite American IPA's. Smooth balanced and worth drinking every day.

07-22-2007 13:51:47 | More by bigman147
timtim

District of Columbia

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

this is a super popular one... i've had it in the bottle as well, but on tap, it was really something else... golden orange (if there is such a thing) with a nice little head and just the right ammount of carbonation... the nose is floral... so nice i almost enjoy sniffing this beer as much as i do schwilling it... i could go on and on... pleasant piney, floral, unoffensive, grown up taste... goes down like it was meant to... bliss for the mouth, throat, belly and body...

12/14/07 - update... just had to come back and add a bit to one of my first reviews... since the time of my first review, i've had two hearted on cask, on tap, in the bottle, and last night - in the new 5L mini keg. sheer heaven. hazy amberish with lighter feet that seemed to give the beer a glowing appearance. the girl i drank it with commented right away about how she was astounded by the appearance. she's not a beer geek, but appreciates good schwill. said it looked like an airbrushed picture of the perfect beer in a magazine. georgeous off white head that had supernatural retention and lace. this was so good last night out of the mini keg, i want to give it 5's across the board... malt character was caramelly and sweet. a perfect vessel to carry the fruity, floral hops. almost full bodied, silky, smooth mouthfeel. it left me wanting more and more and paired perfectly with the gruyere mac and cheese that we made. hands down, one of the best beers i've ever had. thanks larry bell. if any of you hop lovin' ba's haven't gotten a chance to try this beer out of the 5l can, run to the store now and pick one or two or three up. don't sleep!!! highly highly recommended!

06-14-2007 01:32:28 | More by timtim
mrasskicktastic

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pale golden to straw, medium head, a bit of lacing in flecks.

S - Strong grapefruit flesh and pith with a touch of pine. The smell is an excellent IPA aroma.

T - Light malt, floral hops and grapefruit. Aftertaste is malty with a bit of a faint bitterness. A bit biscuity.

M - Smooth, thin, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. I would definitely have this again . . . if just to smell it.

06-09-2007 20:42:16 | More by mrasskicktastic
OWSLEY069

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a nice orange-ish color with a white head that disapates nicely. It just smells of grapefruity hops, sweet and tangy. It has a nice smooth bite, and a sweet malt that is phenominal. The alcohol is hidden quite well in this one, as well as a little sticky, but that what makes a good beer, right?

06-09-2007 13:30:52 | More by OWSLEY069
ChrisA

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to the Mellow Mushroom in Indy for staying late and pouring me an extra pint of Two Hearted. I could still taste it in the morning. I have heard fabled stories of this fine ale and may now report back that they are legitimate. One of the best IPA's I have ever had. It made the Alpha King that I tried after it pale in comparison. Wish I could get this out in Colorado. This is a definite hophead's favorite!!!

06-07-2007 17:53:01 | More by ChrisA
BitterLover

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

06-05-2007 03:06:54 | More by BitterLover
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Packaged on 4/9/07. I have a firkin pour in front of me, let's begin. Obviously, no head, rather a couple of layers of bubbles form on top of my glass. We tapped this thing at 4PM, it is now 3AM. Smells like dank, buttery hops. The usual Two-Hearted profile, more fruity esters, but slightly muted otherwise. No lacing, and slightly cloudy.

The first time I tasted this beer from a firkin, I preferred bottle or tap. Now, I am in love with the different flavors that the cask brings to the table. Buttery smooth hops, slight grassiness. I think what I love about this beer from a firkin is the smooth yeastiness in addition to the smooth hops. Of course, mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, but slick and very smooth. Drinkability, oh jhee, let me think, ..it's perfect!

I must add that when drinking this beer from the firkin, I prefer it with a month at least of cask age before drinking. I have drank this less than a two weeks after it was casked, and about a month after it was casked. This has definitely been my most favorable experience with Two-Hearted from the firkin.

06-02-2007 07:27:21 | More by Sephiroth
wcudwight

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Finally I get to have my favorite session beer on-tap.
Served in an old mason jar at the Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock, NC.
Pours a hazy orange, golden color with 1/2" sticky off-white head that holds awhile.
Man this is one of, if not the most, aromatic beer I've had yet. It smells like I'm walking in a rose garden in full bloom.
Tons of hop flavor but not palate ruining. Lot's of tropical flavors with mango being the most prominate. Medium mouthfeel with excellent drinkability.
Simply one of my favorite beers.

05-27-2007 03:27:26 | More by wcudwight
daliandragon

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Enjoyed this one on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham on Saturday while waiting for the rain to clear up so we could watch the Bulls game across the street. Review conducted from notes. I only ordered it after I was informed that they were out of Hopslam but it turned out to be a good call.

This IPA featured a bright rust color with a solid, entrenched one finger display of off-white head. The nose featured tangy piney hops and a late cut of lemon zest and other citrus, maybe even orange. Attractive rings of lace appear after the first sip.

Taste is very refreshing despite the bitterness with fruit and spice notes. A late blast of pine reminds you that this is still an IPA. Mouthfeel is broad and consistent with a creamy texture and a longlasting aftetastte that kept bitter in your mouth almost ad infinitum.

This is very enjoyable and goes down like water. Quite the sessionable IPA.

05-15-2007 02:59:34 | More by daliandragon
gunnerman

4.1/5  rDev -4%

On tap at Vintage estates in Boardman, Ohio. Pours a nice golden amber color with fluffy head that does hang around for some time and leaves a bit of lace on the glass. Smell is very hoppy, what else would you expect it is an ipa, and a damn fine one at that. Taste is very good a bit bitter but not as bitter as others a little bit more carbonation than others as well, making this beer highly drinkable and such a good find having it on draft.

05-14-2007 20:57:59 | More by gunnerman
mnstorm99

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Very good overall, balanced IPA with a good hop kick.

A - Light orange pour with a decent head that holds on to the glass, good lacing.
S - Floral and citrus hops pop out with the aroma on this one
T - Floral and Citrus hops, good buiscuit malty flavor. Juicy and Fruity
M - Hops hit the back of the throat for a good touch, very well carbonated.
D - Extremely easy to drink, I love IPA's in general but the best ones are the ones I can only have a couple of because the wonderful hop flavor drys me out a little. This is no exception, Great beer.

05-14-2007 20:30:56 | More by mnstorm99
Caesar1pup

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Served at the Saw Mill Tap Room in Raleigh.

What's not to like? I have to say that this is, without a doubt, one of the best beers this guy has ever had. Hops Hops and more Hop but well balanced and very drinkable. Don't let the man get you down Two Hearted, you are the best of the best!

05-01-2007 20:49:11 | More by Caesar1pup
kkipple

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Served on-tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Charlotte.

There's no two ways around it, Bell's Two Hearted is a beautiful lookin' beer. A sea-foam white head hugs the stop of a clear bubbly gold beer. Lace everywhere, and leaves big rings as I down the pint. Head has great retention, too. No complaints.

This is a fruity smelling IPA, with peaches, bubblegum, and fresh citrus hops shining through. Sweet light malt and mandarin oranges, which is interesting... a bit more hop presence in the smell would bring this close to perfection.

A few sips produce tons of fruit notes and sweet malt balanced with a crisp, fresh piney hop flavor. The mouthfeel is super creamy; you could drink this IPA quickly in a pinch. Aftertaste is bitter grapefruit seeds with a hint of earth. This is a good tasting beer, more drinkable than Stone IPA, but not quite as flavorful. Perhaps a bit watered down. Finishes dry.

Two-Hearted is a fine beer, not the best IPA I've had but certainly in the top 10. More aggressive hopping would get this higher marks from me.

05-01-2007 15:12:37 | More by kkipple
jsbrendle

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a standard shaker pint glass. Appearance isn't thrilling... rather unremarkable golden color with some white head that disappeared quickly & left no lace. Smell is good ... full of citrusy/piney hop notes and a bit of the malt sweetness. Flavor likewise shows some of the malt notes (cereal/biscuit) & plenty of the floral/spicy/citrusy hops. Finish is dry and very hoppy. Very much balanced toward the hop-head's taste preferences (very unbalanced toward hop aroma, flavor and bitterness). Mouthfeel is smooth, body pretty much "medium" weight. One of my favorites in the style (along with Stone IPA, DFH 60 Minute). A decent choice for a session ale if you are a hop-head & also a good choice to recommend to people who appreciate hoppy beers or are willing to at least try to push their envelope further.

04-13-2007 20:23:30 | More by jsbrendle
NClifestyle

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

The Bell's beers are slowly showing up all over NC. I had this one once in a bottle and thought it was pretty good, but on tap, it's great.
Appearance wasn't much. Dark gold, big bubbles in the head, retained some, but not great lace.
Smell was much better, citrus and hops, some nice tang in there to boot.
Taste was the best aspect, one of the best IPA's out there. Similar to but not as sweet as 90 min, very dry citrus flavor, like a less sweet orange, but not as bitter as grapefruit. A medium does of earthy malts keep it from being over the top.
Crisp, medium, lots of carbonation, very nice. I had 3 of them, if that tells you anything about drinkability, and will have it again!

cheers...

04-10-2007 21:21:51 | More by NClifestyle
wagenvolks

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Had on tap at Flying Saucer in Raleigh.

The beer goddess brought out a pretty standard looking IPA with a golden orange hue and a thick white head that left decent lacing. The aroma was fantastic...uber-foresty hops mixed with citrus, mango, bubble gum, and a hint of the sticky icky.

Taste spikes a balance of fruit and hops. Orange, plum, peach, mango, and apple cidar. The carbonation levels were great, and the mouthfeel was juicy & crisp: flat out amazing. A nice hoppy aftertaste lingered, but not so long that is frazzled the tastebuds. Drinkability is top notch; goes down smooth and has plenty of taste and complexity. Solid IPA, Bell's.

04-05-2007 05:14:28 | More by wagenvolks
jockstrappy

Pours a pale copper color with a small white head. Aroma is a balanced combination of floral hop notes and mild pear. Taste begins with a generous floral hop punch as soon as it hits the mouth. A slight bread-like malt backbone can be noticed in the roof of the mouth right before a dry, hoppy finish that leaves you no choice but to take another sip. Being fairly light in both body and carbonation make this one easy on the palate, and quite easy to throw back several in a sitting. Very nice year-round beer!

03-11-2007 00:57:40 | More by jockstrappy
MrMcGibblets

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

i first had this beer at a bar across the street from wrigley before an afternoon game to which i had rooftop tickets. bright sunny day, bar was packed w/usual cubbie crowd of khaki-wearing, lite-swilling yuppies, but i was encouraged to see a nice tap selection (don't remember which bar at this point). this was last summer and i was still somewhat of a beer neophyte, my experience was limited to various imports, a few micros, and the beers at the local brewpub. i don't know why i picked this beer, i guess i had heard from a friend that bell's was good but thank f*cking allah that i did. this beer, although served in a 16oz plastic cup (stupid drunk cub fans-thanks), absolutely kicked my ass. this was the first beer of this quality that i had ever enjoyed up to this point. it was a nice hazy orange in color, and had an unbelievably powerful and wonderful fragrant aroma, dominated by pleasing, complex citrus (orange) notes with some floral and pine in the nose as well. that first sip was incredible, just beautifully balanced between the sweet caramel/bready malts and the delirious hops. the finish was awesome, again wonderful interplay between the malts and hops-perfect. how they made a beer taste this big and balanced at 6?% i have no idea. i only had time for two of these before we had to go the game, but the whole time i was mesmerized by this beer, despite being amidst the chaotic pre-game summer scene. i was considering ditching my party and staying at this bar for the game (the cubs suck anyways) so i could stay and have more of these.
update: have had too many times to count, perfect every time. i like that this is unique in it's light color and honeyed, floral characterisitics. also that it's always well-carbonated, moreso than most bottled ipa's, but not in a seemingly artificial manner.

03-09-2007 15:42:12 | More by MrMcGibblets
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.