Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

A terrific American IPA.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tumbler. (Hey, what am I gonna do? I'm reviewing this beer from a motel room on visit to the midwest.) Pleasing amber color with light persistent foam. Cloudier than most APAs.

Sweet citrus hop aroma predominates, though closer inspection reveals a hint of biscuity malt.

Taste... well, this is how it's done, people. Strong citrusy hop flavors are nicely balanced against a surprisingly light but sweet malt backbone.

Surprisingly light body.

Ridiculously drinkable. I could pour these down (if you'd give half a chance, I will).

I've seen polls that placed this beer second only to PtE in popularity, and I can see why. I can't imagine anyone (except perhaps the most pucker lipped hopheads) not enjoying this, and I would certainly rate it among the best American IPAs. I would give Pliny a solid edge by virtue of its fuller body, and its yeasty subtleties. Forced to choose at gunpoint, I might also take a Ruination, for sheer hoppy indulgence. But make no mistake: this is an outstanding beer, fully deserving of its great reputation, and competitive with the very best in its style. I'm jealous of you guys who get to drink it all the time.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. 2 finger frothy white head with good retention. Color was a honey orange.

Smell was big fresh hops with a strong citrus background. More grapefruit than orange but both there.

Taste matches the smell of fresh hops which mute out some of the fruit.

This beer is well carbonated. Has typical ipa aftertaste.

I would say this is a great and very drinkable ipa but not my favorite. I look forward to trying it from the tap.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Generally, I'll reach for a Porter or Stout before grabbing an IPA but I'm trying to stay open to trying all different styles of beer and I'm glad that I am. This was terrific.

Poured from bottle to a pint glass.

A - a rich yellow with an orange-ish tint.

S - greeted with the scent of hops and some citrus, more hops than citrus

T - a strong hops flavor with the hints of citrus that I could smell, a bit of a background flavor of grapefruit and grain

M - an easy to drink beer with a thin mouthfeel

D - very easy to drink, I think I've found an IPA that I'll drink again and again

Poured from 12 oz bottle into beer glass, best by date 10025 ?

Poured a nice cloudy gold with thick two finger head medium carbonation and decent lacing that follows it down the glass.

Smell was of rich hops and mild citrus.

Taste was very nice -The hops are plentiful (as in most IPA's) citrus and floral notes .

Drinkabilty is very good - Hops and more hops - whats not to like.

1.73/5  rDev -59.5%

When I first tasted this beer (I purchased a six pack) at Capone's Bottle Shop in Norristown, PA), I believed it was the best IPA that I've ever tasted...Citrus, Hops, etc... Everything that you would expect from a good IPA. Then I purchased a case of it. It was a different story! The citrus bite was replaced by a hint of sourness. Bottle after bottle I tried with the same result. Who knows, maybe I got a bad case. But I'm not willing to shell out another 30 plus dollars to give it a second try.

The question remains: What does the real "Two Hearted Ale" taste like? My first experience or my second?

I even emailed the President of Bell's with no response. Maybe they don't want my expendable beer dollars.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Fruity hops hit the nose right off - could smell it as soon as the barkeep pulled the draft handle (it was only a few feet away). The head is solid white with a silky sheen and slowly recedes in the pint glass with a few lingering legs. A very light haze permeates the golden honey-colored brew.

Grapefruit dominates the flavor profile, with some spruce notes and a hint of sweetness cut by the alcohol content. On tap, it has plenty of carbonation to excite the taste buds and smooth out the bitterness from the hops, which leaves a post-it note on the back of the palate as a reminder.

A regular beer of choice for me whenever available, on tap or bottled.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Received this as a birthday gift Friday night; spent the weekend out of town, but came straight home to drink it - it was well worth the wait.

A: 1/4-inch lasting, frothy white head. Cloudy with good lacing. THe bottom of the class was clear yellow but this faded to a cloudy orange toward the top.

S: Smells of citrus and hops, very 'clean'.

T: Short duration and light alcohol. Initially sweet, but it fades to a light bitter finish. Very refreshing.

M: Light body, slick texture, lively carbonation with slightly astringent finish.

D: My words don't do this beer justice. In the warmer months, this beer could be my everyday drinker.

I could use a lesson or two on the subtleties associated with varying levels of hops as they relate to description. My vocabulary for beer hasn't grown much.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Light orange brew with a thick, frothy head. Excellent retention and forms a sticky layer of lace with every sip. Completely transparent.

Awesome citrusy aroma, I just can't wait to take a sip.

Huge hop explosion from the get-go. Tons of fresh, citrusy hops with an orange and grapefruit bite. Malt provides a smooth backbone with bready, grain-like flavors. Hops and malt play a careful balancing act with the hops taking the edge while still allowing the malt enough spot-light to keep it interesting. The result is an exceptional balance and a perfect combination of flavors.

Solid medium-body and perfect level of carbonation. Dry and satisfying finish.

I love this beer! Every sip was so perfect, it just left me wanting more. Probably the best IPA I have tried to date. Extremely refreshing and tasty. A must try!

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

I love the look of this beer. Like the golden glow of a slowly fading sunset - this one just chose to stick around until the evening. The head starts at about 1/4", and dies down to leave only a light white lacing.

Sweetly hopped, with floral, citrus, and a hint of honey.

So wonderfully hopped - absolutely well-balanced and lovely - it's not a word I use often, but appropriate here. Reflective of the nose, with a touch of spice to close. Not heavy for an IPA though - just on the big side of a PA.

Great in the mouth - perfect subtle carbonation for this beer.

One of my favorite IPAs. Just an outstanding beer.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

I love an IPA and this is good one. Poured into a standard beer glass and was pleased by its creamy white head. Delicious hoppy aroma mixed with malt and orange peel.

A - light copper color, nice frothy, white head

S - Fresh florid, hoppy aroma with a hint of orange peel and malt.

T - Very crisp refreshing taste, great balance. Nice balanced hopping.

M - good carbonation level, nice medium-bodied ale

D - Delicious, refreshing, easy-drinking ale. Loved it

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Poured a nice head with a honey color. A really pretty beer.

S- Strong hops with ample amounts of citrus.

T- lots of fruit. Just a slight bitter linger. Very refreshing.

M- smooth with good carbonation.

D- I couldn't just have one. superior beer. Stoked on it.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured clear golden color with almost no head and no lacing.

S - Smell is hoppy but not too strong. Can detect some citrus and earth scents.

T - Starts fruity sweet and floral and slowly transforms into hoppy bitterness.

M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated.

D - Excellent IPA, very well balanced, easy going and enjoyable. Would highly recommend it.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

IPA's aren't my thing, but I still enjoyed this one. Had it out of a bottle on the same day that I got it in the mail. Yes, that's the state of New York distribution. We can't even buy popular year-rounds like this.

There's a ton of head, and the light amber hue sits nicely underneath it. The smell is flowery, and the hops and hop citrus are fully present, but if you're an IPA fan, the hops in here might not impress. The taste has a bit of nutty/burnt sweetness to go along with the hops and citrus, making for a nice balance. It's crisp, light to medium bodied, well-carbonated, and at 7.1ABV, this is one of those that'll creep up on you at happy hour.

I hope to have that chance soon.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Drank 11/1/2010, bottled 9/29/2010. Drank from a tulip. Beer poured an amber orange color, with about a finger of white fluffy head. A little bit of lacing was left behind after the head subsided.

Smelled very sweet, citrusy (orange predominantly), flowery. Hops are second to the fruity floral aroma. Hops up front on the drinking it, with more of a grapefruit taste than orange. Can pick up some malt sweetness. Finishes with a nice bitterness. Had a nice medium body, good amount of carbonation and a dry finish.

2.33/5  rDev -45.4%

A - watered down honey color, tall creamy white head. Better than I expected.

S - typical IPA hops plus some fruit.

T - mild hops but a flavor like a bunch mixed old fruit.

M - medium coating with a good amount of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - not my bag but I could see other people liking this.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Not to big into india pale ales but I must say this is probably going to be my go to in the pale ale category.

A: Looks very nice and talk about a good head... this thing makes for a damn good looking beer.

S: I get a strong smell of citrus to it, almost like smelling a grapefruit and some over sliced fruit off to the side.

T: Creamy texture good amount of hop bitter taste. Citrus add depth and complexity to the malt flavor. This drink has enough alcohol in it to give a little warmth but it could be missed.

M: As you continue to this drink it gets almost a silky smooth finish across your taste buds. I think this is what makes this beer for me.

D: Very very very drinkable... without a doubt my favorite IPA to date, looking to experiment more with IPA's now that this 6 pack has grown so much on me.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance - Rich in color, with a good off-white head. Slightly hazy.
Smell - Citrus notes, in the form of a sweet grapefruit, with floral end notes. Slight passionfruit notes as well.
Taste - Bitter hops up front, with a sweet middle and a nice nutty, malty end. I taste the grapefruit/passionfruit I smelled.
Mouthfeel - Crisp, with a nice bite and perfect carbonation.
Drinkability - I could put a few of these down with a smile.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a clear yellow with a white head.

S. Mild Hoppiness.

T. Fairly mild hop bitterness (especially considering that this beer was no more than 1 week off of the bottling line).

M. Thin body with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D. Good, but not terribly interesting.

I've had this many times at the bar and at home and loved it. I'll still buy this fairly regularly, but it didn't really hold up very well in a blinded IPA tasting.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours an amber orange haze with a white soapy head. Aroma of grapefruit and some pine. Very delicious. Grapefruit sweet up front with bitters on the backend. Dry finish. Thin to medium mouthfeel. Resiny towards the end. Very enjoyable. Another great beer from Bell's.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. The beer pours a golden color with a frothy, two-finger head. The head on this beer is amazingly pillowy and porous, with amazing retention and lacing present. There's little visible carbonation to speak of.

Smell: Amazing floral hop aroma! Citrus fruits, pineapple, pear, and grapefruit are all present. There's also some nice malty, grainy sweetness offset by a bitter grassy character.

Taste: Creamy texture with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Decent malt profile and citrus add depth and complexity. There is just a touch of alcohol and the end to add a comforting warmth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, smooth, with great hop bitterness. There's a pretty long finish, but the entire tasting experience is smooth and subtle.

Drinkability: Excellent example of the variety. I could definitely have a few of these on a hot summer day (or any other day of the year for that matter).

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a nice dark golden color with a pretty decent white fluffy head. Left nice lacing on the glass, and a small ring of foam hung around after the rest had dissipated. Very nice hop smell to it with some notes of citrus. I really like this IPA I think it has a good balance of hops and malt. Very nice hop presence though. Theres a slight taste of citrus and orange as well that is nice and refreshing. The mouthfeel was nice on this, it went down reeal smooth. Drinkability is good as well. I could drink these all day and nght. Good job Bells.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

dark golden color with a white head. excellent lacing throughout. smell is of sweet citric hops. taste is similar to the nose with very strong lemon notes and a floral freshness to it. slight bitterness, but not much, the hops is more in the aroma. it leaves hardly any aftertaste and does not coat the mouth. very drinkable. this is one of my favorite IPAs. I was a bit worried as there was no date on this, but freshness was not an issue.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Poured an inch head which faded but a thin head hung around. Has a nice foggy orange look to it. Good lacing.

S- Great hoppy, herbal, floral, citrus smell. Could smell this aroma all day.

T- Had a citrus hoppy beginning and middle to slight bitter finish which gave the beer balance.

M- Really enjoyed the mouthfeel. Went down smoothly, kinda thick.

D- Can really see how IPAs drink very well in the summer, but given where I am in Georgia today in October, it's kinda warm not summer hot but this is still a refreshing brew to sip on. As I'm not a big IPA guy this one is very impressionable and I will have this one again.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle, batch code #9977. according to website, bottled on 9/7/10. so about 1.5 months old, pretty fresh. and I bought from the cooler section.

looks a bright clear golden color. nice fluffy white head. decent lacing. big hoppy aroma, with a little citrus sweetness in there.

taste starts with a crisp hop bite, but finishes fairly balanced and clean. hint of grapefruit, orange?

medium to high carbonation, yet fairly smooth mouthfeel. for a hoppy IPA it's fairly drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Pint from the Capital Ale house.
Looks good: dark yellow with thinnish head.
Plenty of hoppy, citrussy aroma.
Nice and hoppy on the palate but fairly one dimensional - no malt notes to speak of.
Typical American IPA.
Refreshing but I don't think I could drink it all night.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.