Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a nice translucent gold, almost tangerine color with one finger white head. Very little retention and spotty lacing. Smell is citrus hops with a touch of sweet raw honey. Nice citrusy hop profile in the taste. Good mouthfeel - a rather refreshing IPA. I think this is a tweener IPA - in between the big west coast hop bombs and balanced east cost IPAs.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Huge shoutout to my main man Jesse13713 for this brew - thanks a lot Jesse!

Pours a tripel-esque yellow with a large dash of orange to let you know it's still an IPA. Head is half a finger, dissipates quickly but leaves an enormous amount of lacing - there are actually only a couple unlaced spots where the head was. If only there was more head in the first place...oh well it still looks good.

Nose is floral and tropical, with excellently balanced pineapple and grapefruit notes. A bit of pine is evident, but this is mainly a fruit and flower bouquet. Slight stickiness on the nose has a fruit juice quality, and is quite pleasant.

Taste has more grapefruit citrus than the nose, with the bitterness softly rind-like. Pineapple is also very evident and is the right level of sweet. Piney quality comes out much more after the initial fruit start, and is a bit too strong for this beer in my opinion as it was a very soothing and smooth beer before this. Nonetheless, it adds another flavor that I'm sure most people enjoy based on its rating. Malts add sticky sweetness that leads to a semi-sweet, half dry finish that is quite pleasing.

Mouthfeel is a perfect match to the taste, as it is light while offering enough fullness to back up the flavors. One of the better balanced beers I've had, and this allows it to be incredibly drinkable as well. Great beer aside from the unneeded pine.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a standard ale glass. I had heard quite a bit of good things about this brew. Man, was I impressed.

A- Poured a medium amber color with average head for an IPA. Retention was flawless. Very good lacing.

S- Caramel, citrus, hops, and a hint of pine. Very subtle malt notes. Easily overlooked

T- Wonderful. The start is filled with sweet caramel and citrus. Aftertaste is a grassy, lemony, hoppy, grapefruit. The aftertaste lingers. One of the best IPAs I've ever come across.

M- Carbonation was perfect. Spot on. This brew was just a tad bit to dry for my taste.

D- Tastes so good and sits relatively lightly. Could and would definitely down a six pack without a problem.

Great Job, Bells!

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a DFH Snifter glass.

A- Nice orange/copper amber with thick 1 finger head that leaves its stain all over the glass.

S- Piny with sour citrus fruits, sweet malts and sugary resin with a mild floral perfume.

T- Extreme bittering hops overwhelms the opening touch on the lips and tongue, but milds out to a pleasantly smooth and sweet malty tingle.

M- Medium bodied and very bitter sweet.

D- This is a delicious IPA that has its set of mood swings. Every sip seems to bring a different feel. If this were available around me i would consume this regularly.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Cloudy, golden orange color and pour produces a thin head that dissipates fairly quickly. It does leave a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Strong citrus and floral aroma from the centennial hops that mostly masks the malts.

T: Malt flavor comes through a bit stronger, but, like the smell, the hops dominate. The citrus provides a nice dry finish that balances the beer well.

M: Decent carbonation and medium bodied.

D: Definitely my favorite brew of a style that I'm slowly beginning to appreciate. Several of these can definitely be enjoyed in a session.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First review. Here goes...
12oz Bottle poured into pint glass; Batch 10200, bottle 2.4.11 (a bit older than I'd like, but still good)
Appearance: fantastic hazy yellow and amber with a bit of carbonation dancing around. Offwhite 1 1/2 finger head that leaves a bit of lacing.
Smell: Straight citrus and pine.
Taste: Citrusy: grapefruit and a bit of orange. Hops hit right away with some malts at the back end that finishes out the beer perfectly. Incredibly balanced beer. Slight layer of hops coats the mouth, though not overpowering.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with a bit higher level of carbonation. The higher carbonation works well in this beer.
Overall: Awesome. One of my favorite beers; it's hard to find a fault in it. A go-to for me and a must try for those who enjoy IPAs.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Nice semi-cloudy amber with head that lingers longer than most IPA. Lacing hangs on the glass throughout the tasting.

One of the most florally smelling beers I have encountered. FTD in a glass.

This is ambrosia. The bittering hops most definitely doing their job here. Malt tries to even this battle, but the hops are just a bit stronger, which is good.

Because the malt is not overpowering, mouth feel is relatively clean. The higher alcohol adds to the dryness.

Hoppy Delight. Only the price keeps this as an occasional beer.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This is one of my favorites! When it was on sale for $6.99 at Big Red for a month, I probably bought 30 six-packs! It also makes a bad-ass black and tan. Way better than Bass and Guiness, and my last name is Bass. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. Great look, taste, buzz, everything!

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A-Pours a hazy honey/gold with a thick white head that stays around for a while and leaves some lacing on the top of the glass.

S-Citrus hops are pretty strong, but you can also smell the biscuity malt as well.

T-Much like the nose with a decently strong citrus hop character balanced out by a significant malt backbone. Very tasty stuff.

M-Pretty thick for the style which I liked.

D-This is some very tasty stuff and a few can easily be drank in a session.

Overall, this is just a great beer. It has a significant malt character which some might not enjoy, but overall you can never go wrong drinking a Two Hearted.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For my first review, I'm going with one of my earliest favorites in the craft arena. My first taste of two hearted came in cask version, but I was hooked...I enjoy it equally as much on tap, but the cask experience is a great changes of pace and the freshness is wonderful.

My local craft beer bar is pretty good about clean glasses, so the pour is pretty consistent in that the bartenders know how to pour correctly...my early adventures into IPA's brought one noticable flavour to my mouth...grapefruit...the funny thing is, I hate grapefruit, but the flavor in a beer just works and Two Hearted nails it for me...I've grown to be a fan of Centennial Hops, and the consistency of this beer brings me joy.

I can't break a beer down like the majority of the reviewers on here...I'm learning...it'll get better...I just know I love this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured this into a pint glass. According to the batch finder on Bell's website this was bottled on February 9th, hopefully its still relatively fresh, should be.

A- Beer is a golden color with orange highlights, and a burnt lemon skin. The head forms well, thick and bubbly, about one a half fingers worth. Good amount of carbonation rising throughout the beer. Theres good amounts of lacing left on the glass where the foam subsides.

S- Great citrusy aroma upfront, blended with tingey centennial hop aroma. Good balance in aroma as pale malts are detected at the end of each whiff. Also a little bit of lemon zest and orange peel.

T- A great balanced IPA. Earthy hop flavors sting the tongue initially. Then lead into a pale/caramel malt base that keep the hoppiness in check. But at the end of the gulps I'm taking theres a pungent hoppy bitterness that comes back. The citrus is very slight in the background. Phenolic alcohol can be tasted, but is not an overbearing flavor.

M- The brew is medium bodied, and feels leafy throughout the mouth. Good tickle from the carbonation, as well as the prickling sensation from the bittering hops. They go together quite nicely.

D- This is a great drinking IPA. One of the best bittering IPA's I've had but it doesn't abandon the malt bill. I'll be looking for this one more often, would love to find this on tap somewhere. I actually enjoyed this more so then Hopslam.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Got on-tap at Blue Door Pub

Visual: Gold in color, no head, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Was hard for me to get a good smell, not sure if it was the beer or the atmosphere, but I picked up bits of lemon and toasted malt.

Taste: Nuts, earth, grass, and lemon rind. Hops finish dry in yo mouth.

Mouth: Average, medium body, normal carbonation for an ipa.

Drunkability: Wouldn't have a problem tipping a few of these back but it would not be my first choice for an ipa. The taste is missing something, just a bit too dull maybe.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a golden orange with a bit of a copper tint, nice one finger fluffy white head appears and slowly dissipates, spotty lacing

S- nice strong hop aroma, piney and citrusy at the same time, somewhat floral as well, bitter citrus is the dominant smell

T- bitter hops hit the back of the tongue immediately, earthy, very citrusy with the taste of bitter grapefruit rind, slightly floral but it gets overwhelmed by the bitterness, still a very sold flavor for an IPA, slight alcohol taste at the end

M- medium body, really nice balance of carbonation, finishes somewhat dry but not overly so, alight alcohol burn

D- this is one of my favorite IPA's, one that hopheads will definitely love, this is a great session IPA for me although they can catch up on you

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a golden copper color. White head about 1-1.5 inches. Nice lacing.

S - Lots of floral notes along with some hop aroma.

T - Again, lots of floral notes with some malt. Hops are up front and present here with some citrus notes sneaking around as well. Good amount of bitterness.

M - Light to medium-bodied.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 10216

A-golden amber with a nice white head
S-nice citrsy hops invite me in...
T-amazing. Sweet grapefruit taste that really wowed me for the first time in a while. I always forget how great this beer is
M-medium bodied and so smooth
D-rediculosuly drinkable, awesome!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy golden color with a thin, off-white head.

S: Floral hops and some pineapple thrown in. The smell reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada, but much much better.

T: Near perfect balance between some citrus hops and malts. Pineapple, grapefruit, citrus hops and a bit of funk as it warms. Really tasty.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

Had on tap. Served in your standard pint glass.

A- very large off white head probably about 2 inches. Color is dark gold and is non translucent. Lots of lace hugging my class. It looks like I just squeezed some soap in my glass.

S- very floral hop aroma. That is mixing with a touch of grapefruit. Pretty strong nose.

T- lots of earthy floral hops upfront then on the finish you get the citrus fruits and more floral notes. Malts are there at first but quickly swallowed by the hops. Not balanced but a great hop forward brew.

M- light medium bodied that has a little bit of prickly feel. Not anything wrong here. I like the prickly feeling with bitter brews.

D- this might be one of the most drinkable ipas out there. I could and regularly do put down 4-5 of these no problem. If you like ipas you could drink this all day and all night till you pass out.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to a generous BA trader for this one!

A - Pours a nice golden straw color. A finger of thick white head sits atop the liquid and slowly dies down, leaving fingers lacing the side.

S - Fruity, hoppy. I can tell it's pretty balanced just by the smell, which I love. Grapefruit is the main fruit I'm getting out of it, maybe a few other citruses.

T - The grapefruit remains in the taste, but slightly more subdued than the smell. The front is fruity and slightly bitter, but the finish is clean with a good amount of malt. I love a beer that finishes strong, as I take time between my sips. I think I may have

M - Slightly creamy, the carbonation is good. I would like this to be a little bit thicker (syrupy?) which I rarely find myself saying, but it seems a bit thin to me.

D - Excellent drinkability. I like this beer a lot and I wish that it was available near me!

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

pours a golden yellow that reminds me of the bales of straw I used to load in the barn during those childhood KY Autumns. nice thick three finger head that tickled my nose on the first couple of sips.

citrus hops all over the nose. like cutting into a fresh grapefruit when the juices splash all over your face. there is a sweet and malty backbone hiding out to bring balance but mostly citrus all the way.

first sip says... nice! grapefruit and clear citrus explosion all over the place. just like on the nose, there is a sweet malty note that brings balance. the piney bite hangs around throughout the whole beer. really likes how it holds up.

medium body with nice clean and fresh finish

could drink this all day long on draft. as is case with many IPAs, much better fresh off the tap than out of the bottle. I believe it's genius is in it's subtlety... and in an over-the-top American craft beer scene, that's not easy to do.

3.01/5  rDev -29.5%

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -21.1%

Intro: 12 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Thin head, less than a finger's width that does not stick at all, honey colored, slightly cloudy.

Smell: Can smell the hops, but not very strong, one dimensional.

Taste: Bitter or maybe slightly stale after taste but good hoppy tone and dryness to it.

Mouthfeel: Dry feel with a strong after taste, low carbonation.

Drink: Somewhat under whelmed in general, but would be a good starter beer for introduction to APA/IPAs.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Very good, easily accessible and affordable beer. One of the best craft beers in Michigan and it is available everywhere around that area. Bell's Expedition Stout is also a good one to try, although slightly less common, at least on tap. Maybe Michigan should shift its manufacturing from cars to beer. They seem to do pretty well on the beer end.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Not much really needs to be said here.

All aspects of this beer make it a top model for the style. Taste and smell are perfect. Love the grapefruity citrus notes perfectly balanced against the malt sweetness. Hopslam's little brother and one of my favorite beers. When the Hopslam is gone...this replaces it!

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark golden color with one finger of off white head that goes away and leaves just a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Sweet citrus and herbal hops with some malt as well.

Taste: Citrus peel hop bitterness with a mild herbal note as well. A mildly sweet malt taste in the background. The hops stay on the tongue throughout the sip. Very crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a good amount of carbonation for the style. Smooth with a very dry finish.

Drinkability: I really like this beer. I think it is very well balanced and I'll definitely come back to it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks betsona for this one!
12 oz bottle batch 10184 poured into a snifter

A- Hazy orange color with a three finger white head.

S- Very earthy/floral hops upfront, also getting citrus notes and a nice hint of malts giving a nice balance.

T- Not as big as the smell. I feel that the hops are good and bitter, but one-dimensional.

M- Smooth, medium body, crisp.

D- This is a good easy to drink IPA and really happy that I got to try it! I would not drink this all the time if I could buy it near me, but definitely would try to work it into trades if the other person had some to trade.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.