Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle poured into large wine glass at Crush wine bar.
Pale hazy gold in color. Head was thin and lacing was minimal. Not sure if the type of glass was the reason for this or not. Smells floral and fresh like the first day of spring. The palate on this beer is quite pleasing. Citric and piney with soft bitterness. Malt and hop selection mesh well making for a balanced IPA with loads of flavor without being too aggressive like many highly hopped beers. Moderate in body and very dry with a crisp feel on the tongue. One of the most drinkable IPA's that I've had, thanks to the softness of the bitterness. We shall meet again. Soon.

JunkYardJake, Feb 21, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(a) Pours a light caramel color, perfect amount of head, great lacing remains. Little bit of carbonation, pretty visible and see through. (4/5)

(s) I've got a decent sniffer, but for the amount of hops thrown in this brew its not as floral as I expected. Very unique, citrus, pine...outdoors. (3.5/5)

(t) delicious. Not too heavy, not too light. Great balance, great proportion of hops and sweets. (4.5/5)

(m) light on the tongue but not too light, great from front to back. (4.5/5)

(d) For a beer that brags on its hops this beer offers superb drinkability. Keep em coming. (4.5/5)

lbaker, Feb 21, 2010

Poured in to a pint glass from a 12oz. bottle.

Color is a light amber/gold. Half inch head that fadded away quickly.

Smells very good with a sent of fresh hops.

This is a very good tasting ale. I would say it is just right. Not to over powering with hops.

It goes down smooth with a light carbonation.

Good drinkability! I could see my self drinking a couple of these.

Overall I think this is a very good beer! I have had other beers from Bell's and have always been happy. I also notictied at the liqour store that you know can get a 5 liter (1.32) gal. mini keg of Two hearted ale for your fridge! I thought that was pretty cool.

RTrain12, Feb 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my imperial pint glass

A- Orange and copper with a hint of a light brown. Two fingers worth of a nice foamy head. Retains 3/4/'' of head all the way down. Leaves nice lacing as well.

S- Hops and citrus....mainly grapefruit. A slight hint of flowers thrown in the mix.

T- It's a little more maltier than I expected. I get the citrus, again, mostly grapefruit. The hops aren't really jumping out on me to much with this one. I'm also getting another flavor that I can't quite pinpoint....maybe apple???

M- Very thin not much carbonation here.

D- I could drink it all night. Goes down SUPER easy. Overall pretty good beer.

urwithdave, Feb 18, 2010

received in trade from kadonny, poured into pint glass.

a- light orange to brown, white sudsy foam, look like apple juice with a head. great lacing and lots of carbonation.

s- smells like a winner, lots of acidity and bitterness coming out right from the stench. if you have ever cracked open a rangpur and gave it a nice big old whiff this is what it smells like. a mix of oranges, lemons and grapefruit.

t&m- see definition of rangpur!! this thing really tastes like a hybrid of a highly acidic mandarin orange and a lemon (rangpur). slight hints of hay and straw, compliment the acidity and bitterness this one has to offer.

d- easily one of the best IPAs out there, dangerously drinkable. delicious and not overly bitter, easy to session upwards of 4 or 5 of these guys without burning a hole in your stomach.

i did give this one straight 4's because although it is a truly great beer, i feel like something isnt there that is making it highly rememberable and that will stick out like a sore thumb in my mind.

caresville, Feb 18, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -18%

I have no idea why this beer is in the top 100. It's a good beer don't get me wrong but I think this beer is not as good as alot of other IPA's out there.

Pours a hazy golden color. I had to pour it pretty hard just to get a head to form and then it went away. No lacing.

Smells of some almost noble hops. A little citrus. And some malt. Not alot of aroma going on and this is a pretty fresh bottle.

Taste is good, but I feel I could name off a whole bunch more IPA's that are better tasting to get the top 100 spot. American hop taste and some decent malt. The thing I think is the reason why it should get a little higher rating is you can't taste the 7% ABV at all. It tastes like a session IPA. But still green flash, stone, 60min, all better than this.

Mouthfeel is good. No complaints

overall it's a good beer so try it if you can but I just dont think it's as good as some others that are not in the top 100.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pour delivers a beautifull copper orange color with a rich thick creamy layer of foam.

S: Floral, nutty, fruity. Very nice hop scent rises to nose.

T: Smooth hops blend with light malts and mix for a pleasant taste.

M: Medium body with all the head expexted more carbonation texture but was creamy.

D: Definitly a drinker but be carefull at 7.1%

nukem5, Feb 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Poured an orangish/amber color with 2 fingers of white foam and moderate carbonation. Great retention.

s - Smells of hops and sweet malts. A tiny bit of citrus as well. I was actually surprised by the balance; I was expecting a lot more hops and a lot less sweetness.

t - Again, tastes strongly of hops with a little bit of bitterness, followed by sweet malts. I was again surprised how balanced it was and how much the sweet malts stood out.

m -Medium body with moderate carbonation, it has both a bit of a bitterness to it, followed by smoothness from the malts. Very nice.

d - Very nice and balanced. The hops didn't stand out as much as I thought they would, but the balance and smoothness from the malts was a pleasant surprise. Great taste and easy to drink, I'll surely be trying this again.

mdfb79, Feb 16, 2010

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried.

twoheartedheel, Feb 15, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I love the taste of this one, nothing jumps out at me as far as flavor, not too light, but more on the hoppy side. Strong, but very drinkable on a nice day as it is today. Out of the bottle the color is a light orange head lasted for a couple minutes. The smell of this one does not pop out at you as some IPA's do, but the taste is a reminder of what a good IPA should be. Overall a great beer and will definitely be drinking more of these guys.

fattire513, Feb 15, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Icetraxx for this beer. Pours a light orange color, with a hoppy aroma, not too sweet and nothing really grabs me. Good taste, the hops are balanced out by a sweet taste that I did not smell. Im not the largest fan of IPA's but it was not bad by any means.

WwRGSwW, Feb 12, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

The appearance of the beer is a wonderful orange-amber in keeping with an American IPA.

The color also prepares you for the bouquet which is sweet with an orange citrus scent with a hint of coriander.

That coriander and citrus also comes out in the taste. There is a good hops bite, but it is well balanced with the other flavors.

The mouthfeel is good. Nice level of carbonation.

This is very drinkable beer. It goes down smoothly. The balance of the bitterness of the hops with the sweet of the citrus makes it a comfortable beer to drink, unlike some IPA's which are more of an assault (as wonderful as that assault might be) on the pallet.

tjinohio, Feb 10, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

This is one of my favorite beers. It is always better than solid; every time I drink it I am pleasantly surprised.

I haven't had it on tap since last year, in Chicago. I was understandably stoked when I saw this shiny new handle at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

A – Wow. Impressive. Hazy copper-orange hue, with one finger of white foam and huge chiffon-esque sheets of lacing. Amazing.

S – Floral and dank; this is a very aromatic brew. And so pleasantly exotic.

T – Dank, resiny, and piney; multifaceted hop flavor. This beer is so herbal, citric, and evergreen; the richness of flavor is also quite complex despite relying solely on hops. The malt backbone is an interesting rich bitter base, not caramel-y at all. Very enjoyable, and just about the top of the style.

M – IPA. Good. I hate describing a good IPAs feel. Not too thick or thin, syrupy or watery, prickly or flat.

D – Hell yeah. Probably best on-tap, too.

ktrillionaire, Feb 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle, listed as batch 9547. According to the website this was bottled on 1/19/2010. Tasted on 1/30/2010.

Pours golden orange in color with good medium thick, foamy white head. Decent carbonation in the beer with a slight chill haze. The head stays solid almost indefinitely with a lot of lacing, as expected.

Good citrus hops aroma here, lots of grapefruit and orange, and there is also a strong herbal/grassy hops smell. A touch of pine as well mixed with the grassy aroma. Taste is again a planty hop flavor with citrus and a bit of pine as well, but it is not quite "sticky" with pine and hops like some stronger IPAs. No particular malt flavor but rather the hops are balanced with a nice sweetness and body which mixes well with a light bitterness. No alcohol heat, aftertaste is somewhat bitter and leaves a planty feel in the mouth and throat.

A light to medium body and it clings to the tongue a bit. This beer seemed like Hopslam light to me, but definitely in a good way. While not having the heavier bitterness and hoppiness of its DIPA counterpart, this beer still offers a tasty, balanced beer.

goldbot, Feb 08, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Review from notes taken last night. Poured from nitro tap into a clean, clear 16 oz. pint glass at a cost of $6.

A Translucent orange yellow body under a very creamy head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Good lacing left on the inside of the glass as well. 4.0

S Floral and very fragrant hops with a background of sweet malt that presents as a butterscotch sweetness. Hops predominate here, though. 4.0

T The big, bitter hops with the medium butterscotch like malt presence predominate in that classic 2 Hearted taste. I do not notice a difference in the cask with the smell or taste. 3.5

M This is where the cask presentation really changes things. First, the beer is near room temperature and it has a kind of "classic" beer feel as in this is the way that the brewer's intended to present it. I really like the feel of this cask version. 4.5

D Fair to good. The hop levels are too high for me but there is enough balance to make this a really interesting beer, one that I would certainly look for again. 3.5

adamette, Feb 07, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A wholly exceptional beer, a sweet tang of malt, a slap of centennial hops, a beer to be emulated and loved by the many. I went as far as having a friend drive a case from Michigan to WA so I could relive memories.

Prem showed up at 5 with a keg of Two Hearted. Three of us sat around, drinking mason jars off the beast and laughing about school and life and girls and money and beer. With prodding the house turned to anarchy, many showing up to sip the magic brew and tastes the goddesses toes. Woke at 4 am, walked to work at 5. I sobered up around 9. Two Hearted is perhaps the best beer to learn about beer with, and it will live in my soul until this brain is rotten and dusty.

I miss you Prem, may china treat you well

olympuszymurgus, Feb 06, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a yellowish orange with a huge pillowy 3 finger white head. The head dissipates slowly leaving great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is dominated by citrus hops, mango and grapefruit.

T: Starts off with hoppy bitterness and grapefruit followed by a nice balance of malts. There is also a bit of spice that is present. This is a very tasty beer, nice and refreshing.

M: Medium bodied with a nice medium carbonation. Nice and clean finish.

D: Drinkability is great! The nice hop bitterness and clean finish leave you wanting more. I can see myself drinking a quite a few of these on a warm summer day.

Jeebs, Feb 06, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

I hardly know what to say about this beer. I have more Two Hearted under (beneath?) my belt than any other beer. Impeccably balanced hops and malt hid the abv so well that I only recently discovered how high it is-- by chancing upon the mini-keg version.

ebolden, Feb 04, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Grabbed some of these on my AZ Hopslam run. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Appearance- A nice light copper color. Fairly clear. Two inches of big frothy head that laces very, very well. Good looker.

Smell- Very nice citrus and fruit punch from the hops. Mango, tangerine, some grapefruit. Very tropical. Quite nice. Tinniest hint of sweet caramel. Very nice, but not a punch in the face.

Taste- Starts off with that nice tropical fruit. Lots of sweet mango hoppiness. Very nice. Very light pale malt. Plenty of grapefruit. Disappears for a moment and then a nice bitterness on the finish. Not too dry at the end. Makes you want more.

Mouthfeel- The tiniest bit thin, but very nice.

Drinkability- Smooth and easy. Could put down a sixer of these no problem. Doesn't seem like even a 7%.

This is an excellent IPA. One of the best out there. It's just smooth and easy, but with plenty of pop. I really like it and just wish it was more available. This beer deserves the accolades.

callmescraps, Feb 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks go out to abuliarose for splitting this with me and to adamharbaugh for shipping it out to her. Awesomeness all around. Poured into a pint glass, Bell's Two Hearted Ale produces a slightly hazy, golden-orange body with a thick, sticky, white head on top. Patches of lacing slide along the glass.

The aroma carries a nice helping of citrus laden hops and a sweet malt backbone. Hops move from grassy citrus to floral like quality. Nice blend.

Tipping back the glass sends a wave of bitter, spicy hops across the tongue, followed by sweet, caramel malts. A nicely balanced flavor profile that still puts the hops front and center like it should.

Mouthfeel has a bitter edge to it that is actually refreshing. Malts are chewy and robust. Sticky hops, always a good sign for a quality IPA.

Drinkability is great. This IPA has plenty of hoppiness to keep pulling you back and an ABV that almost pulls it into the sessionable range. After having one, you'll be looking for another.

Overall, what can I really add that hasn't already been said? This is an excellent IPA and deserves the rating it gets. Maybe even a better one. If I had access to this all the time, I'm sure there would always be one in the fridge. Nice work Bell's!

sisuspeed, Feb 04, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A special thanks goes to adamharbaugh for this beer trade. We get no Bell's around here, and from what I've heard this is the Bell's brew to get.

Pours a pleasingly hazy deep golden amber with a thick creamy head. Pretty lacing. Nice bubbling. Smells fresh and hoppy with good light cirtus presence. All things I like to see and smell in an IPA.

Tastes really well-balanced. Well-arranged malt profile on first sip, betraying just the right amount of sweetness (less than Hopslam) and bitterness. Nice citrus rind character throughout, kind of orange-grapefruit tasting. Solid bitterness to round it out at the end, really bringing out the hops. Carbonation is rounded and tingly, complimenting the citrus flavor nicely, but dies down to reveal smooth liquid, soft maltiness that's almost silky. On the heavier end of light-bodied. Very, very drinkable. This is one I would go to again and again for all those traditional foods one drinks beer with. As it is, this glass is being drained entirely too quickly!

Overall a very nice IPA. I am a lucky girl to get to try this one.

abuliarose, Feb 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

Batch 9480

It pours with a nice two finger head protecting a crystal clear amber body. The head quickly disappears to a fine layer of bubbles provided by the bottom etching in the glass.

The aroma is huge in orange hops with just a little bit of grassy types. Not really any malt balance in the nose.

The taste has a medium citrus orange bitterness up front. It is fairly bright and fresh. The malt backbone is much more represented in the taste than the nose. It is very balanced which is what i like in a regular IPA.

This beer is probably the most easy drinking IPA or beer at an ABV of 7% I've encountered. The carbonation seems to be at a perfect level in order to take that bitterness away so the palette doesn't become fatigued after several. I could drink a 6-pack of this no problem and I see why they sell 5-liter mini-kegs.

weatherdog, Feb 04, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a big white head that fades to a small layer and leaves tons of sticky lacing.

S: The nose is huge with tropical fruits, grapefruit, hops, and a malt sweetness in the back.

T: Tropical fruits and a grapefruit style bitterness on first sip. Big fruity hoppy bitterness and a nice sweetness on the finish. Very balanced and begs for another sip. Pretty refreshing and one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

M: The feel is on par with the style, crisp yet creamy.

D: I would buy this all the time if it was available in TX. Excellent example of an American IPA and very tasty.

Thanks to hayesez for hooking me up with this!

GregSVT, Feb 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from my home tap, this one has a golden orange color with a billowy, off-white head. The color is deceptively light compared to the flavors packed inside. Very fragrant, with the aroma having a complex hop character that is both citrusy and earthy. The flavor amplifies these characteristics, with notes of grapefruit, pine, and grass. This is not just another hop-bomb, though, as there is also at least a bit of balance from an underlying caramel malt sweetness (but the malt aspect is certainly subtle compared to the hops). The mouthfeel is both crisp and resinous somehow, with a refreshing, hoppy bite that morphs into a sticky, lingering bitterness. Overall, it's wonderfully bitter, yet quite drinkable, especially considering the 7% alcohol. I've had Dogfish 60-minute and Foothills Hoppyum on my tap before this one, and Two-Hearted is as good if not better in some aspects. It is certainly a go-to beer for the style.

devilben02, Jan 31, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Cloudy, jaundice color, little head, little lace, no visible nucleation points.

S- Coriander, honey and citrus. Slight hops, nothing too impressive here.

T- Initial sweet taste; honey, coriander, and slight citrus. Aftertaste of slight hops which leave an astringent taste.

M- Medium body, medium-heavy carbonation with a dry finish.

D- Good beer, nothing too exciting about this one, but it can be drank in large quantities. Overall, it's pretty balanced, but nothing too special about this beer.

twaddlac, Jan 31, 2010
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.