Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Poured into a pint glass and came out as a hazy orange with a fair amount of carbonation. Thick foamy head that dissipated very slowly.

S - Faint citric aroma, reminiscient of grapefruit and pine needles.

T - The American hops dominate this beer at the start, with a strong citric flavor.

M - The hops are still present, but once the tastebuds become used to the bitterness, it's easier to taste the slightly present malt flavor.

D - This is a great IPA; I like how the initial taste makes a statement, and then mellows out until there's nothing left in the glass. It's not as hoppy as one would expect, but it's still enough to please the average hophead. Well done.

rrg1gb, Nov 06, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at the Sharp Edge in East Liberty. Poured in a pint glass.

A: Interesting ... dark amber, almost orange. Head holds on forever.

S: It's a pale ale, so you get some of the things you expect, like pine and citrus. But there's also something sweet ... and that's a tease for ...

T/M: Here's where Two-Hearted Ale steps away from the norm. The pines and citrus from the hops are heavy, but they mix with a honey-sweetness you don't expect at all. Wow, it's good. And even with the sweet tones, the beer has a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very smooth.

D: Um, I'll have another, please.

unclecrappy, Nov 06, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours goldish amber with a towering foamy head.

I poured this into a snifter and I'm glad I did. Wonderful aromatics, floral, citrusy (lots of grapefruit and tangy lemon peel), a touch of pine resin, with a whiff of yeasty character. All that hop gets matched by a very nice bready malt in the mouth, medium body, with a light, smooth carbonation. Not unlike drinking some tropical flower. Surprisingly light on bitterness, if a bit on the tart side; hops ease back into a mineral bite.

Deceptively easy drinking; nice to have a good old-fashioned single IPA without too much alcohol showing through. Very pleasing all around, especially on the nose.

Melchizedek, Nov 03, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Received this 12 oz. bottle in a recent trade with froggyfrog. Poured to a pint glass. What's the deal with the fish on the label? and the name: two hearted? I digress...

A: Hazy golden color, very warm with some shades of amber and a huge frothy off-white head, at least 2 fingers. Dissolves v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... Busy streams of carbonation and nice lacing.

S: Wow, they weren't kidding about "enormous hops" on the label...big fruity, resinous and floral hops explode out of the glass. Sweet malts are present, too. Nose is predominantly tangerine/citrus and sourdough bread. Smells wonderful.

T: Hoppy and juicy sweet. Great full flavors of citrus and loads of grainy/sugary malt. A nearly perfect IPA, holds it's own with any of the best that my area (Pacific NW) can offer...great balance.

M: Crisp and clean, with a medium body and full mouthfeel. MY tongue curled at the sides, salivating from the copious juicy hops. Surprisingly sweet thoughout, but with a nice lingering bitterness and smooth citrus-hopped backbone.

D: Simply a wonderful IPA! No doubt I'd have another of these - fortunately I received two in the trade. Thanks again, JE!

msubulldog25, Nov 03, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

I poured this from a 12oz bottle I got from Westy's outside of Harrisburg PA. It's sort of a golden amber with a smallish head that lingered for a while. Nice lacing throughout. The smell is great with lots of pine, citrus, and a little honey. Very balanced. The taste is much like the smell lots of citrus, pine, and some clove as well. Not too bitter but not sweet at all. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry at the end. This is a very drinkable beer. The kind of AIPA that you can have many of. Definitely one of the best AIPA's I have ever had. Really perfect for the style. Very hoppy but not stringently bitter - nicely balanced. Great beer.

grego, Nov 02, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a great amber/orange color. Awesome hop aroma. Citrus/piney notes very apparent. Solid, long lasting white head with good lace throughout the beer.

Taste is well balanced with a great bittering hop character. Not overwhelming, but perfect for this style. Finish is dry with a citrus note. Excellent beer. Well made. Kudos to Bells for making great beer!

redmash, Oct 31, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Orange with white head. This brew is a bit clearer than the other Bell's beers I have had.

Smell: Citrus - You name the fruit
Taste: Hops - Hops hops hops, yummy
Mouthfeel - Actually rather light to medium but so very refreshing
Drinkability - Given the crisp refreshing nature and the ABV, exceptional.

Explanation: awesome citrus hop, hop, hop with an ABV that allows you to session until you get yourself into trouble (and you just might!).

Description - Freakin' delicious. Perfect summertime quencher.

The best that I have tried so far from Bell's.

mattgert, Oct 31, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Glass fills with a bright yet murky golden orange liquid capped with a billowy monster of a white cumulus cloud head. Big chunky-butt rocky lacing. Most impressive.

I can smell the tangy citrus and evergreen/grassy hops from 5 feet away. Tons of hop aroma ride quite nicely atop a solid bed of citrus sweet candy.

Hello American IPA! This fantastic beer is packed with taste without succumbing to overdone bitterness levels or off-balanced maltiness.

This beer is extremely smooth and drinkable. Lots of nice crisp citrus hop aroma and flavor mixed with lightly toasty malt and a nice clean lemon finish.

I just realized that my case of this is almost empty and I had yet to review it. So I quickly banged out this review. I hope I did this beer some justice.

froggyfrog, Oct 27, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I’d heard a lot of positive buzz about this beer before trying it for the first time. Now, in my part of the world at least, it seems like it occupies sort of a gold standard of craft beer (IPAs at least). Appearance is amber and cloudy. Gead sticks around, and around. This particular example was still sitting around even after the glass was empty. Aroma is definitely hoppy, and a bit sweet. Flavor is hops plus citrus and very pleasant. And after, you get those great hop-flavored burps! I’ve had it before, and I’ll be having it again.

BeerBelcher, Oct 27, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

My first-ever beer from the legendary Bell's comes courtesy of super-trader melbatoast93. Thanks Hart!

The color and cap alone indicate this is going to be a kickass beer. Vibrant dirty orange color with a foamy, fluffy head that sticks around long enough to appreciate it. Stayed for the whole drink, and even left thick strands of lace.

Smell is a big robust hoppiness, pine and grapefruit both coming to mind, with a juicy sour grape essence providing the kicker.

The flavors deliver on the promise of the aroma: Bitter/sour grapefruit provides a prickly bite, with a juicy, piney, resin-like goodness following. The malt is but a faint lick in the background, but it's there and at least tries to make itself known through the hop haze. Nice mellow honey sweetness shows up in the finish.

Ok, so I'd probably have the mouthfeel be just a little chewier, and definitely creamier. It's just a little too carbonated, and on the thinner side. But still, that's a minor criticism. This beer delivers. It's utterly satisfying, while at the same time leaving you wanting more.

Metalmonk, Oct 26, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

By the time the beer was brought to my table, it had lost all head, if it had any to begin with. Golden-orange in color. Has a rich, hoppy aroma. Very tempting.
The taste is equally great. Plenty of hops, well balanced. Mouthfeel is a great mix of sweet & bitterness and the aftertaste lingers on, playing on your taste buds. I tend to be stricter in my assessment of American IPAs, those being my favorite and I recognize my tendency to get carried away while having one - but this is indeed a great beer and I'll definitely recommend to all beer enthusiasts.

cafemondegar, Oct 26, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Stumbled on this at a good restaurant in Akron. This is one great IPA. Great hop aroma and a nice crisp taste. Not over the top and not too pine resin-like. A little different that some of my other favorite IPAs. A little smoother to drink. They went down really quick.

doubleipa, Oct 23, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Ron as this is his selection in our beer club.

A-Amber/copper, cloudy from bottle conditioning. Holding the glass up, I see a swirl of "stuff" in the glass. Crowned 1-1/2 inch head of an off white color, head also very thick and creamy.

S-Pine hops, Pine Hops, Pine hops, then a little green hops come though. Very very strong aroma, I can smell it while pouring long before I ever brought to my nose. A great smell maybe a little one-dimensional but non-the-less great.

T-strong piney hops throughout with some green herbaceous hops thrown in for good measure. there is a good malt backbone with a little sweetness in the middle. But this beer is by no means balanced as the pine hops beats the malt into submission with a 16 lb sledge. That is not necessarily a bad thing though as this is one good beer.

M-perfect carbonation for the style IMO, not fizzy but present. Medium body with a oily characteristic that coats the mouth. Residual sugars leave a stickiness on the lips.

D-I could have a couple, but after that I might have to break into a rendition of O' Tannenbaum.

Overall-A fine well crafted beer with over the top pine hops that I could certainly appreciate on a frequent basis.

jackorain, Oct 20, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

well I heard that bell's was not going to be in chicago for a year, so I ran out and picked up the latest and last batches of Two Hearted. this is a very nice, very drikable beer. also it seems to be very comparable to the Two Brothers Heavy Handed. glad i got 3 sixers.

sman262, Oct 17, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Huge fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S - STRONG grapefruit, piney hops....and that is it. No balance at all.

T - Starts off with hops, kinda floral/soapy. Then it turns to a grapefruit pine and finishes w/ grapefruit...oh wait there is malt, waaay in the back.

M - Sharp carbination along with the hop bitterness.

D - A little too unbalanced. Good drinkability, but I believe there should be some balance.

quasimoto, Oct 16, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to TheManiacalOne for sending this to me in a trade.

Pours a hazy 24 karat gold color, and a two finger head. Good retention gives way to a ring of bubbles around the glass, and gorgeous lacing.

Aroma is hoppy and smooth. Mostly citric hops show through here, and is well rounded and smooth. You can tell from the first sip that you're going to like this one.

The flavor here is quite nice. Very smooth and balanced, with great citric hop flavor, and a bit of caramel maltiness. Everything is well integrated and smooth from start to finish. While it is nicely hopped, it is not strongly bitter. No alcohol present anywhere. Mouthfeel is very creamy and moderately full. Drinkability is excellent.

If this were available in my area, it would without a doubt be my new "everyday" beer. Fantastic flavors all around, that you can really sit and enjoy, but not so outrageous that you have to pay full attention to each sip. Also, (despite the fact that I live imperial and double everything) this is a really nice change of pace. Anymore, it's almost hard to find a hoppy beer that is well balanced. This one does it perfectly. Great beer, and definitely worth seeking out. Now I'll just have to hope that Bell's starts to distribute in VA.

phisig137, Oct 16, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This one was courtesy of Faro, thanks!

Transparent, burnt orange bottom with lots of carbonation rising to the head. Creamy foam head that fades quickly, but does not leave a murky looking film.

Sweet, floral smell, with a strong hop profile in the aroma. Grapefruit, honey, and some delicious smelling malts. Fruit esters. Very pleasant aroma.

One sip is all I need to know that this one is truly deserving of its praise. Strong hop taste on the palette, but biterness is surprisingly well contained/blended. Floral qualities translate well on the tongue, also a little grass/straw taste. Some lingering grapefruit from the bitterness, and a superb, crisp finish without tasting like straight, clean filtered water.

Nice, medium body, with a creamy mouthfeel. Mouthfeel does not give way to water, which I can truly appreciate. A treat to drink, drinkability is somewhere in between a session brew and a sipping brew.

Someone trade me more of this!

nouseforotacon, Oct 14, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a hazy light amber with a modest head that dissipates quickly. Great hoppy smell. Taste is brings evidence of the hops in a well balanced brew that finishes with hints of grapefruit. Feels quite pleasant in the mouth making it a very drinkable brew as the whole experience is exceptional.

techdiver, Oct 13, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz. Bottle
According to Bell's website it was packaged 9/25/06. So it should be nice and fresh.

Two Hearted poured a slightly hazy gold. A good looking 1+finger white micro bubble head. Swirling carbonation rising from a few different points in my pint glass.

All I smell coming from this beer is hops, which is a very good thing. I smell a forest of pine trees and grapefruit. Makes my mouth water.

There is a small malt backbone coming through but it's mostly a hop attack. My kind of IPA. Citrus(grapefruit) hops followed by a mouthful of oily pine needles. A nice bitterness follows that gets me ready for the next drink.

Mouthfeel is a little on the lighter side but still good. Its funny but even though it's lighter it still coats my mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I could and have drank quite a few of these in a sitting.

Overall Two Hearted is one of the IPAs I keep in my fridge pretty often. It's refreshing and full of delicious hops. If you ask me this is a classic. Probably my favorite offering from Bell's.

Slainte!

joe1510, Oct 13, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

If I were to make a list, 4 out of the 5 best IPAs I’ve ever had would be from California. This would be the one that’s not.

No doubt about it, this is a fan-fucking-tastic beer. I’ve waited a long time to try and when I finally got my hands on it – I got as much as I could. In Chicago, I had this on-tap every place I crossed that had it. I even had it on engine which was delicious but not quite as tasty as the regular draft.

This is a bold IPA for sure. It manages to walk the line between an IPA and a DIPA keeping the best aspects of each. The aroma is a gorgeous bouquet of pine and citrus hop flavors. The hop flavors are held in check by a sweet doughy malt character. It’s a very well made beer.

I could and did drink a bunch of these. I could drink it all day honestly. Can’t say enough good things about this one.

sloejams, Oct 10, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Maximum respect to hoppymeal for sending me four bottles of this beer in our recent trade. Poured into a nonic, Two Hearted Ale is undoubtedly hazy, golden amber with a dense and rocky small white head and sticky lacing. Sparse carbonation. Profoundly zesty citric hop aromas, with grapefruit and pine notes abiding. A substantial caramel malt scent is also detectable. Sharp grapefruit bitterness leads the hop profile here, with young spruce cone and apricot flavors arriving late in the sip. Some mineral notes ride along with a rather understated caramel malt bill that is all but obliterated by the brash (but not overwhelming) hops. Bready aftertaste. Peppery mouthfeel, juicy too. Pretty dry finish -- actually, pretty dry overall. Very nice mouthfeel on this just about medium-bodied ale. This is a ridiculously flavorful IPA which makes it incredibly drinkable. Easily one of the best of its style in the world.

orfeu, Oct 08, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful dark honey color with a very slight haziness. The head is thick and creamy, about two fingers tall at first. It holds well, but eventually settles thin cap of creamy head. Leaves good lacing on the way down.

Smell - A mix of sweetness with a hint of fresh, sharp/dry bitter hops. Some caramel and molasses in the middle, along with a moderate spice character. The malt aroma is rich and sweet. Moderate spicy alcohol.

Taste - Caramel sweetness up front, with a mix of crisp/bitter hops. This initial taste is well-balanced for an IPA, but the hops ultimately prevail. Peppery spiciness and some sweet fruitiness (peach?) come through after the initial flavors. The finish has rising hints of spicy alcohol with the rich, bready, and slightly sweet malts coming through. The aftertaste reveals again the crisp bitterness of the hops mixed with a mellow sweetness again.

Mouthfeel - Lots of carbonation bite off the bat, but thankfully this calms down after a second or two. Light-bodied with okay smoothness.

Drinkability - A bitter beer with an interesting rich sweetness present. Decent drinkability, as the flavors are strong.

A very good IPA, I really like the buttery/caramel sweetness it has to it. Highly recommended.

dblinkhorn, Oct 03, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

a: the color is nothing special, but the head it leaves upon pouring looks excellent. a few inches, or "fingers" worth as the rogues refer, lingers for a while.

s: the smell is exceptional. citrus, fruity, if god has a smell, this might be it.

t: a wonderful pale ale, the one that got me hooked on the style. the hope effect is excellent and eloquently balanced.

m: nothing too special here, but you surely won't complain. strong enough to be noticed, but is not what stands out about the beer.

d: each one will go down smoother and leave you wanting more, shouldn't fill you up too much.

conclusion, other notes: poured into standard pint glass.. overall, this beer should be enjoyed by everyone on a frequent basis. i mean, i think bell's is one of the finest producers of beer in the u.s. and it makes me thankful that my religion does not discriminate against the responsible use of alcohol. I mean think about it, what if your prophet said you could not enjoy this fine craftmenship of a beverage? I know i'd be angry.

this is a good beer to drink and solve the problems of the world with friends around a fire. i think that pretty much sums it up.

dolphlungdren, Oct 01, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured this 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Its color is a nice full amber though a bit cloudy. It left quite a head, two to three fingers worth with moderate lacing. Its smell like its taste is quite fresh and citrusy, with a slight bitterness. A solid mouthfeel, not too watery. As for overall drinkability this my be my favorite ale I have sampled. Recommended!

adammills, Sep 29, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer pours a nice orange golden amber with high lights concentrated around the bottom. The head is decent centered around edges. Smells great fruity maybe some pineapple, orange peels, nice aromatic hops, some spice and a lovely piny body. Honestly it smells so good. Tastes pungent, good bitter hops, a bit floral a little sweetness, some crispness and a very dry finish, not as clean as some others. This is a definitely a dry English style IPA. Personally I prefer a bit more American stickiness in my IPA, but this a a good offering from Bells.

mmcave, Sep 25, 2006
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.