Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 12,221 | Reviews: 3,278
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep slightly hazed orange yellow color with a thick yellowish white head and a little lacing. Smells of piny hops and a little hidden malts. Tastes of piny and grassy hops with a little grapefruit and a little orange. Mouthfeel is medium with a nice carbonation. Drinkability is high for such a health ABV.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I may be a little bit slighted, being a Michigander, but this is one great beer. Served in a mug of 30oz size with three fingers of head. Lace you could peel off the side of the mug. Color was a rich medium brown that you could see 100 feet if it was that deep. Smell...oooo, fruit city, this is not your ordinary IPA...cherry, pear, pineapple, malt, and more malt. Taste leaves my mouth wanting more. Flavors of roasted wheat, peach, cherry, pineapple, pine, lemon, sweet malt barley, and piney hops. Mouthfeel was like drinking heavy cream. Wow, I would like to drink much more of this, but the buzz is messing with my head. This is one great beer.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Well, I've done it out of the bottle and on tap this beer is just plain amazing. It would get a hell of a lot more respect on sites like this if it wasn't so easy to find in most areas.

A great pinky of white head and coating lacing over a dark orange semi clear body. Very nice

Smells amazing. Never is there an IPA that captures such an awesome bouquet of floral and fruity hops without being annoying in any way, in fact its down right mouthwatering. Pineapple, cherry and straight hop with malt undertone.

Taste is huge also. Flowers bloom into a fruit candy mix with great hop bitters and sturdy malts. Alcohol smothered in hard candy. So unique and delicious.

Amazing creamy mouthfeel. Legendary. What can I say? A go to beer that is so amazing on tap as most great hop beers are.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

I picked this up at Al's of Hampden as part of a mix a six. poured chilled into a willybecker and allowed to gradually warm.

A slightly hazed golden peach color with monstrous ecru cap w/ light beige accent. The head measures over an inch high and haze is not too much that you can't see some carbonation in the liquid. The bead is average sized and head looks 'whipped' up. The lace sticks like glue and retention is very good. I really like the mild citrus and herbal aroma w/ mild grassiness. There is some lemony/orange aspects w/ lots of yeast esters and some floral hop notes. The feel is moderately bitter up front w/ mild astringency and mellow acidity for the style which is nice w/ moderate carbonation level and semi spicy, semi-dry overall feel with a subtle sweetness and light chalky vegetal tinge in the finish-could be from bottle conditioning.

The taste has lots of hop flavor w/out pushing the bitterness too far forward. The taste has nice herbal hops and mild citrus and spice. There is a light tropical element and mild toasted malt in the flavor w/ hints of pear and light lime accent into to the finish. This is a great IPA, not a 'hop assault' on the palate, but just pleasant honest to goodness drinkable IPA from Bell's. I consider this a top notch example of the style as far as drinkability goes -a go-to beer for me.

2.8/5  rDev -34.4%

Nothing special to talk about here. Just your run of the mill IPA. For the price get a DFH 90 min. Light copper color, light hoppy smell, little flavor, thin consistency, just alright drinkability.

The taste is too boozy for how little flavor is in this beer.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Date: 18 January 2011
Glass: Standard 10oz snifter
Type: 12fl oz bottle

Poured for a firm 1-finger head, reduces to wisps of foam, lacing at top of glass is bubbly and sticky, but runny as the beer goes down. Color is a clear gold with a streak of orange. Aroma is full of fresh floral hops, lemon zest, slightest hit of pine, followed by slightly sour pineapple flavor (which is actually great!). Flavor of hops begins a little bitter, and ends sweet and sticky, with similar flavors in the aroma. Like mentioned, very sweet and sticky on the mouth.

As the beer gets lower, the aroma and taste of malts come out. There is no alcohol hotness for a 7% beer, and this is a good beer compromise between a single and double IPA. I would recommend this any day, and could drink it all night.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle *batch 10161.

A: Body is very hazy orange color. Head is thick and foamy with an off white color. Very good lacing on the glass and head retention is rather decent.

S: Hop profile starts right away in the nose, but is also very spicy/zesty. This tangy aroma is a bit different from a lot of IPAs I have had, but really very nice.

T/M: Great grapefruit hop profile with a malty backbone. Very well balanced and very drinkable. Smooth and refreshing, while still being hop driven and cleansing.

D: Easy drinking beer that has a great balance and great spicy hop profile that makes it a bit distinct.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with 1 finger head, lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Smells of grapefruit and floral hops. A little bit of a citrusy orange peel scent as well.

T - A good fruity sweet taste up front with hints of zest. A bit of light bitterness and heat from the alcohol finishes the taste. It's a very balanced taste with no one note pushing through.

M - A decent amount of carbonation, a nice blend of dryness in the mouth. Bitterness not at all overpowering.

D - Very drinkable, it can set rather heavy though so nice its preferred to enjoy slowly.

Overall I was very impressed by the overall balance of the beer. Nothing too overpowering and the blend of hops is nice. Nothing particularly outstanding with this beer, but it's a great American IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle served in pint glass.

Pours a hazy yellow gold with a moderate amount of ecru head. The head has medium retention and leaves plenty of lacing.

S - delightful lemon/orange hops ("Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest") with caramel malt in the background. Fresh and a bit floral. Irresistible.

T - tastes like a fresh hop brew. Higher ABV not evident. Excellent sweet/bitter balance with a delightful dynamic interplay.

M - medium/light body with good, if slightly aggressive carbonation. Some nice dryness in the finish.

Great flavor and aroma; I'd love to try a souped-up imperial version.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A-Golden, thick fluffy head that stay long into the drink, tons of lacing around glass

S-Citrus, grapefruit, pine

T-Citrus, yummy hops, hop-heavy, but the perfect amount for me

M-Balanced and smooth, great carbonation

D-Great flavor and smoothness lead to remarkable drinkability

Having sampled this one quite a few times in bottle and on draft, can safely say this is currently my favorite IPA

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Had on-tap at the Pour House

A-Like muddled dark gold, with a slim stark white head, that dissipated into a fine film that lasted, leaving moderate lacing, but less than I would assume from such a highly praised beer

S-Hops, citrus, touch of sweetness

T-An extrapolation of nose, the hops and citrus are still there, but the citrus is expanded quite a bit leaving a strong orange flavoring, with a touch of vanilla at the end.

M-Smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation, nothing special here

D-Very drinkable brew, went very well with the burger I had and the game. However I think there's better examples of the style out there.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Honey colored light, transparent body, with a watery looking one-finger head that dissipated quickly with ok lacing.

Smell: Piney, citrus hops...orange and grapefruit present.

Taste: A pine and orange, grapefruit presence. Sugary sweet, with floral hops. Little grassy and floral as well.

Feel: Nice balance, round with an oily chewy finish.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. Its one that makes you drink more.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12oz to a weizen glass.

Appearance- This poured a nice straw color with about a finger of white frothy head that left a good amount of lacing and retained well.

Smell- Alot of pine and some citrus, maybe some grapefruit. Alot of hops coming through as well.

Taste- This tasted just like the nose, nice hoppy upfront, some grapefruit and orange linger in the middle. Really good.

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel, medium bodied, and left almost a sticky feeling on the tongue.

Drinkability- Good drinkability, goes down extremely well, and begs for more to be popped open.

Overall, a great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass, this is a lovely goldish orange with a frothy head that gives way to a thin cap. Lacing follows down the glass. Smell is of piney, fruity hops, with a bit of doughy malt buried somewhere in there. Taste is hops initially, but a much larger dose of malt than expected follows, with a nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit creamy, but the clean finish leaves this very drinkable. Will likely be a regular in my fridge!

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

One of my favorites! I've had it on tap and by bottles numerous times poured into a pint glass. Pour is a clear amber orange with a medium head. Bursts of fresh hops and citrus. Nice malty backbone with enough sweetness to carry along the hop presence. Never overbearing or random tasting, very focused, simple, and nearly perfect. Freshness is a key here in regard to drinkability!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

nice.

a. mellow yellow

s. its like hopslam, but cut in half. nice piny citrus, and hoppy punch... mellow.

t. exact as smell. mellow, its nice

m. carb med low, i want a but more silk, but its so smooth, nothing really missing,

d, its super drinkable, except after a hopslam, its incredibly UNDRINKABLE because i want more hopslam instead.

ITS HOPSLAM CUT IN HALF

real nice.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a oldfound glory. I've always known it was solid, but recently realized i like it a lot more than I originally thought.

A - Goldish amber. Thick white foamy head. abundant lacing.

S - Floral and Citrus hops.

T - Floral notes, cirtus fruit, malty backbone.

M - Full bodied. Blanced and smooth. Great palate cleanser.

D - So much flavor and so much fun. I need more of this in my life.

3.39/5  rDev -20.6%

I bought this beer as a single from Corks and Kegs in Richmond, VA - Packaged on 1-7-11 and drank on 1-11-11

I have had this beer before. I was not a fan, but then once I began to read the boards and the reviews I realized that this beer is a staple among IPA lovers so I thought that it would be in my (as well as Bells) best interest, in order to maintain integrity with my reviews to give it another shot just in case I got a funky one the first time. This one was very fresh.

Popped the cap on this after I had it sit for a few minutes to warm from being really cold in the fridge. It pours beautifully, it's a golden yellow that is very pure. The head is healthy and thick

Smells slightly of citrus, but (for me) is considerably overshadowed by some earthy pine. I usually love the piney tones in IPA's but there is too much earthyness in this for me

Taste was earthy as well, not bad at all just not my cup of tea.. er.. beer

Feels great and drinks great for a 7% beer but my main issue is the earthyness.

Chad

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: it's a clear, golden beer with good retention and lacing. looks great.

s: the smell is all hops. lots of pine and citrus come through.

t: again, hops. however, the malt flavor is still distinguishable.

m: medium-bodied with a good level of carbonation.

d: this is a very drinkable, very flavorful beer. top notch.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 10118

A - clear golden straw with big white head.

S - grapefruit, citra hops, predominant hops, light malt background.

T - very crisp, clean bitter grapefruit hops. touch of malty sweetness on the back.

M - carbonation is a bit low, so mouthfeel is a bit flat. but still is pleasant and somewhat robust.

D - it's so easy to drink and so hard to put down. very drinkable beer.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden yellow with thin white head, nice retention, creamy lace.

S- Pungent, well balanced bouquet of hops. Sweet floral notes mixed with fruity citrus. Lemon, pine, grapefruit, honeysuckle.

T- Hops shine, sweet floral notes and hints of light sweet malts, honeysuckle, grapefruits, lemon, pine and earthy, grassy notes. Complex and juicy.

M- Crisp, refreshing, juicy, dry finish

D- Very refreshing, flavorful and enjoyable. A go-to beer as people say.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a thin head.

Smell: Bitey floral hops mixed with nice aromas of citrus.

Taste: Sweet citrus flavors of grapefruit and pineapple. Nice bitterness from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp.

Drinkability: Probably my favorite readily available beer from Bell's. A usual choice when I come across it.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Pint

Pours a golden yellowish orange color with a white foamy head that leaves an eternity of lacing.

Pine hops with grapefruit noticeable. This beer is all about the hops.

Pine and grapefruit hops standout. No malt is noticeable. The aftertaste is all pine hops. Has a phenomenal flavor that seems to last for eternity!

Medium body with complimentary carbonation.

Incredible! Has great flavor and aroma. A great, strong IPA!

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

I'm mystified that I've never reviewed this beer. This baby is my go-to brew, the six-pack I always reach for at my local grocery store when the only thing ahead of me for the next twelve hours is a good movie and a (relatively) solid night of sleep. But it's more than that. When I travel to some of my favorite local restaurants that really don't have awesome beer selections, this is always the best thing on the menu. That isn't to say that Two Hearted is some default that one decides on when no other craft beer is available. No, sir. This ain't your daddy's...um...Sammy Adams Boston Lager. This is a true-blue, purebred IPA, so if you haven't had it, you better be prepared for sheer happiness...hop bliss...hoppyness.

The beer pours out a sort of golden-orange, much like those moons that you'll only catch when you're out in the park doing god-knows-what with your latest lover...huh? Hey, there was that one time... Okay, there's no point for personal anecdotes in beer reviews. At any rate, the beer pours a golden-orange, and it's quite attractive if I do say so myself. The liquid, though quite permeable by light, does hinder said permeation, if only slightly, through a sort of miniscule graininess within the beer. Yeast, perhaps? We'll say "Yes" for the time being, unless anyone calls fault toward that. Moral of this slight nonsequitur: Dis beer luk dern nice!

The smell...ah, the smell. Initially, inhalation would leave me chomping at the bit. Pure hoppy bliss! Jesus, how trite. I wonder how many times that sentence has been used. I'm probably guilty for some 40% of all-time usage. Whatever. It's so true! People say cliches become just that because they are extremely, and sometimes dangerously, accurate. Anyway, this so-called "hoppy bliss" transcends into a sort of fruity medley that makes me think of pure Floridian citrus: Grapefruit. Orange. Some lemon? (It should be noted that my dad drinks this stuff with a lemon. I'm of the "No fruit in your beer" school. Obviously, I wasn't educated by my father.) Yummy. Hoppy. Fruity. Can I drink it already? (I actually took a sip quite some time ago; I'm just too verbose to mention it.)

This beer is one of the most familiar, and most comfortable, to ever grace my palate. All of the fruity notes remain, and I also get the SLIGHTEST bit of sweet, sweet malt at the end of each sip. The alcohol, fairly high at over seven percent, is completely hidden. This beer is the quintessential American IPA in all aspects, and I think it really takes the cake in the taste department. I'm so hesitant to give out perfect scores here, and don't think I ever have, because I simply have not consumed enough IPAs to TRULY know what perfection is. Put as far as I'm concerned, the 4.5 score here might as well be a five, and I could definitely see myself editing that bad boy in the near future.

"Mouthfeel" is always trivial to me. It's an IPA. All IPAs feel the same to me. I'm sure that's going to run a true beer connoisseur the wrong way, but I really mean it. Hoppy beers feel the same in my mouth. This one certainly doesn't commit any injustices between my pearly whites as it absorbs into my tastebuds, but it doesn't warrant anything above a "good" score; it didn't speak to me and say "Chad, I'd really like it if you bumped my Mouthfeel rating here." Therefore, that's why it received the score it did.

I'll throw another cliche in here: If I were stranded on a desert island, and could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, it would be this guy. This is the ONLY department that I'm comfortable awarding perfect scores to, and it definitely goes to Two Hearted. No beer is more drinkable than this. It can be sipped and appreciated; it can be consumed with a good meal, perhaps some grilled chicken or seared tuna; shit, it can be swigged from the bottle on a late-summer eve just as the sun is dipping below the surf on a South Carolina beach (Yes, personal, experience.) Most of all, I could drink this stuff all night...every night...and never, ever get tired of the taste. Mondays, give me Russian Imperials...Wednesday, I'll take a Belgian Strong, if you please...But Two Hearted? Give me that fucker any day of the week.

My favorite beer to-date. Don't know if my ratings reflect it...don't care. This stuff has, literally, gotten me arrested and gotten me laid. At its core, this is all that is great about beer. (Cliche? Fuck it.)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Reviewed from notes 1/8/2011

A: mostly floral hops, but faint citrus hops as well

Ap: golden-orange hue with a 2 finger off-white head, quite frothy

B/T: mild carbonation, smooth, clean, and crisp finish

Af: floral hops come through, but are not obnoxious, slight citrus undertones.

O: a really well-balanced, easily drinkable IPA

Cheers!
The CPJ

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.