Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to hayesez for this bottle.

A- Pours an orange gold, clear, and white frothy head with little
lacing.

N- Citrus hops, with crisp bitterness

T- Very dry, citrus, pine hops, malt background.

M- Refreshing, but filling.

D- Very easy. A very good representation of the style and an easy drinking every day IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a nice orangish golden from the bottle into a tumbler. Head was ample, though it laced minimally. Smell was citrus in nature with a nice malt backbone. Taste was orangy and grapefruity with some bitterness. Malts played a strong part. Feel was average with a nice crispness. Overall a better than average Imperial Pale Ale.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Drinking this after a long jet-lagged week of work following a great trip to Japan the prior week. Pours hazy gold with poofy white head. Smells of biting floral and citrusy hops. Taste follows - fairly dry finish, but this definitely has some malt balance. Body and carbonation are medium. For an IPA, this is quite drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I got this on-tap at D4, an irishy pub in Streeterville. I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, but since Bell's is a semi-local brewery, I thought I would give this one a try.

A - It has a very nice color. I'm colorblind, so don't expect me to describe, but it looked good to me.

S - The smell was slightly sweet, but not very strong.

T - At first, it tasted kind of weak. This is generally my impression of IPAs. After a few sips, though, the pungency of the hops really started to come through. By the time I finished the glass, I was enjoying it, but I didn't feel like there was a lot of complexity to the flavor, it just seemed to have one strong note.

M - No complaints here.

D - This was very drinkable, although it didn't leave me anxiously craving for more.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip. This is a light caramel colored beer. The pour delivers a quarter inch head that dissolves into lacing after a couple minutes. The smell of this bear makes me eager to drink it. It's a combination of peach, apricot, and orange. The taste is a pretty well balanced. There is just enough malt sweetness to carry the hops that are pronounced but not too too bitter. This is a nice light (in color and mouthfeel) beer that will be great going into Spring. This is a very drinkable beverage that is suitable to both beginners to the style and expert connoisseurs.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

This is my Taj Majal of IPAs and I've been drinking this God for 6 years (and I am from Minnesota...AND YES I'VE HAD FURIOUS!). The opening of the bottle gives you the first sense of perfect hop/malt balance that awaits. As you pour into a "slightly" tilted glass, you see this clear ambrosia leak into your pint.
Let me put it this way, my first "fresh hopped beer", where you crush your own home grown hops into your favorite brew, was last fall with my first hops harvest and Two-Hearted. There was no other IPA that was worthy of my measly 2 ounces of hops!....and it was still the best brew I ever had...check out the pic.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy golden with a puff of white fluffy, fluffy head. Smell is out-of-this-world super sweet double-down sweet corn. Phenomenal. Candy-like, and the taste bears a repeat.. candy-like, a beer starburst, hoppy skittles now available in golden IPA flavor! Finish is smooth, then dry and fleeting. Drink again. A 6 pack to savor this beer a few separate times is recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

They had a firkin of this at the Black Sparrow, and as I am not made of stone I had to buy and consume several pints far too quickly.

Pours like hazy amber and honey (and at a temperature that was only slightly below ambient!). Smallish but retentive head, good lacing, blah blah you know what a cask IPA looks like.

Smells capital-S Smooth. Two Hearted is normally well balanced but this is just boffo: giant west coats hops were almost, like, fluffed up by a malt so smooth it was like bready whipped cream.

Tastes even better than it smells, since smoothness is one of those things that ain't conveyed too well through the olfactory sense. Hops are like flowers and grapefruit juice, the malt is like poundcake, together they combine into a well-balanced slurry of perfection.

I've said in the past that casks don't really impress me unless they're of thick stouts, but I think I'm going to have to amend that for exceptionally balanced IPAs. This isn't *quite* at the level of cask Masala Mama, but it's damn close.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this on the way through Michigan on our way to Sault St. Marie Canada and was ecstatic to find it.

A-Pours a clearish straw colour with minimal head.

S-Grapefruit hops with an almost apply crispness to it.

T-Nice hoppiness balanced out by a nice maltiness. Crisp finish.

M- Mouthfeel appropriate to it's abv.

D- The nicely balanced hoppiness makes this very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

A- Pours a golden, deep straw color with a white finger-width head. Fairly clear, only sight turbidity, but given its an IPA, definitely not a serious hop haze.

S- Grapefruit rind followed by nice fruity esters. Not overpowering, but definitely note a hop spiciness.

T- Nice grapefruit with a slight malty finish, only to be followed up by a firm crisp bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel with appropriate amounts of carbonation.

D- Excellent drinkability. One that you could have a few of and not have your tastebuds numb from the amount of hops.

Overall- Very well-done IPA. Something that has great drinkability and is a nice IPA. Lacks the dank, earthy flavors that some enjoy; however, this one is a great example of the style and for an IPA is perfectly balanced with the malt coming through in the finish and working well with the overall bitterness.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

I got this in a trade. I'm sorry, I forget who, so I can't give credit.

Also, not realizing this was an IPA, this was in my cellar for a bit...I'll try not to let that ruin any perceptions on this beer if the beer is not to my usual IPA standards.

A - 12 oz bottle poured in my Delirium Tremens snifter. Pours a pale orange with about a finger width of head that dies down fairly quickly.

S - Smell is of sweet malts and some light tropical fruits...maybe some papaya. Nice, but not overbearing.

T - Nice mix of malts and hops. The hop flavor is very piney. The malts of a nice sweetness on the mid-palate while the pine taste lingers for a bit at the end. Good, not great. Alcohol flavor is hidden pretty dang well.

M - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very sessionable beer. I could get used to this.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crisp looking golden orange. Two full fingers of head that give way to nice lacing down the glass.

S: As soon as I poured the beer the hops hit me. Sweet grapefruit and citrus hops.

T: Nice juicy grapefruit and orange hop flavor here. A fair amount of bitterness with a small sweet malt backbone. Very crisp and very drinkable.

M: Moderate carbonation. Hop bitterness lingers around nicely.

D: Very sessionable IPA. Wish we had access to this longer than the half year or so it's been in our state. My go to IPA in town alongside Sweetwater IPA.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I was given this beer initially in a blind taste test of several commercial IPA's. This was head and shoulders above the rest. The beer pours fairly cloudy, but this hardly ever bothers me unless I'm pouring a pils or a Köslch or something similar.

The aroma was heaven. Expertly done, Centennial hops wafted up and had wonderful hints of citrus and only a slightly resiny American hop character. The aroma was not brash or crude, but artful and almost perfumey. Amongst the wonderful citrus were hints of malt that balanced very well.

The taste was very clean bitterness up front with a burst of that same citrusey hop character in the nose. Definitely balanced toward hops (and what self respecting American IPA isn't?), there was still enough subtle malt flavor to balance. Infinitely drinkable, I polished off my glass and looked up like Oliver Twist and whimpered, "please sir, can I have some more?". The hop flavor was amazing, not a "bash-you-over-the-head" type flavor, but a more like a 1960's Raquell Welch whispering in your ear "come here big boy and I'll show what hop character is all about...". Yes, it was that good.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. It's spectacular out of the bottle and even better on tap. If you happen to buy it in the bottle, don't sit on it, drink it promptly, it won't age well - really hoppy beers rarely do. Do not pass up an opportunity to try this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle on 8/10/09.

Pours hazy golden orange decent head. Beautiful lavender floral hops with a hint of lemon. Very refreshing lemon honey sweetness on the tongu. Then, and slow very mild bitter finish. Leaves a great sweet floral honey aftertaste on the tongue. Nice amount of activity on the tongue and a smooth medium body. Absolutely amazing for the ABV and so incredibly refreshing.

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a beautiful hazy dark golden color, capped off with a rocky white head. Looks beautiful in the Bell's tulip; very inviting. Mildly hoppy aroma, some apricot, orange. Taking the first drink I notice a bit of hoppiness, some citrus, and a bit of malt. Dangerously drinkable at 7%, not up to the level of the some of the West Coast hop bombs.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Hazy bronze in color with a huge fluffy, bubbly head that lasts.

Flowers, spices, pepper and citrus (orange?) in the nose makes you want to take a gulp.

Flowery hops and citrus dominate the taste.

The feel is subtle, not the biting of hops like an IPA. It starts off gentle, almost sweet from the citrus before giving way to a peppery bite in the finish.

Can't wait for another.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A- beers pours a hazy golden color with a nice white head that settles to leave way to some decent lacing.

S- hoppy aroma with tropical and citrus fruit aromas. also some grassiness can be picked up as well as the sweet malty backbone of the beer.

T-Same hoppy characteristics of the nose. tropical and citrus fruits play the main role while the maltiness of the beer takes a back seat

M/D medium bodied and good carbonation for this style of beer. good drinkability.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

A-This beer pours a hazy golden color with a respectable head and lacing as it subsides.
S-Strong citrus fruits and hops are immediately evident leaving the sensation of smelling tropical flowers.
T-Very crisp and clean taste and a refreshing flavor of the fruit and hops.
M-Moderate carbonation and minimal bitterness made this beer a treat to drink.
D-This is a nice light tasting beer with flavors that do not overpower you and would be great on a summer's evening on the patio.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Big props to Rempo for unexpectedly hooking this up. Thanks Mark, you're the man.

Look: Clear golden body with a generous cloud-like head. Very beautiful lacing, all the way down.

Smell: Citrus hops right up front. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange and lemon. Floral and bitter pine hops are noticed aswell.

Taste: Delicious hops all around. Just as the nose predicted. The malt is in there too which leaves this really well balanced. Floral and fruity, its really nice tasting.

Mouth/Drink: Medium bodied, smooth and crisp. Its perfect. Drinkablity? As good as it gets. I wish this was available to me, I'd drink it all day (well.. night)!

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear orange. Half inch of white head, dissipates slowly to a thin ring, with some lacing.

S - Wonderful smell with citrus and floral hops dominating, and some balancing bready malts as it warms.

T - Biscuity malts up front with floral and citrus/ grapefruit hops in the finish.

M - Medium to light body, medium carbonation. Sticky finish with subtle hops lingering in the back of the throat well after the finish.

D - A very well balanced, tasty IPA. I'd give it a higher drinkability score, but the 7% abv catches up to you quick. Otherwise, I'd drink it all night.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle (batch 9570) into a pint glass.

A- Pours a cloudy gold with a one finger pure white head. The color almost reminds me more of a hefeweizen or a pilsner than an IPA.

S- Hops! Pine, grapefruit, and other citrus.

T- The hops aren't as overwhelming as I expected in this beer. I'm getting more citrus than I am of the flowery tones, which I like. Its a really nice balance between a strong, piney, flowery IPA and some sort of white ale.

M- Thin. Very mild as you first take a sip. As I said before, its not overwhelming at all.

D- Great beer. Its a nice gateway IPA before you get into the harder stuff that is absolutely overloaded with hops. I'm going to pick up more of this in the future if I'm in the mood for an IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass batch #9555. According to their website Bells has this listed as being bottled on January 25, 2010. That's just a day shy of two months but I didn't look it up until after I drank it so it did not influence how I felt. The appearance is great! Good golden clarity with a nice 3 finger cap of fluffy off white head. Lacing was apparent the whole way down the glass.

I love this smell. Lots of tropical fruity aromas are apparent. I prefer the tropical smells/flavors in IPA's/DIPA's compared to overall dankness, so this is an area where my personal opinion takes over.

Taste echoes the aroma. Sweet tropical flavors with good bitterness dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel borders perfection. The only reason I'm not giving it a five is...ah hell! It is perfect! Five it is.

This drinks WAY too easy. I try to savor beers but this one went down in less than ten minutes while I grilled my steak. Unfortunately I had only bought a single to try out or I would have popped another right away. I have to go with a five here because I honestly can't think of how this could be any easier to drink.

I tried Hopslam when it first came to my beer store this year without ever trying Two Hearted. I kept passing over Two Hearted with the idea that since I had tried the Hopslam I would only be disappointed with its little brother. Boy was I wrong. I put this up there with Torpedo from SN and Sweetwater's IPA as some of my favorite IPA's readily available in my area. I've had both of them less than ten days old and can't wait to try a fresher batch of Two Hearted. I'm going to have to do a taste test with all three at the same time to see which of them my overall favorite is but I think that Two Hearted may be an early favorite.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance - 1/2 finger head, quickly fades leaving lacing. Hazy reddish/golden color. Cloudy, looks very inviting.

Smell - hoppy, citrusy, sweet, some pineapple/orange smell.

Taste - delicious strong hop flavor. nice sweet aftertaste. some piney notes. definitely blends well together.

Mouthfeel - very smooth/crisp. Not overly carbonated, medium body.

Drinkability - 7%, great amount of alcohol, obviously no burn, a great flavor, and even better taste. Will have this whenever I'm outside NY!

4.1/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Bells
Two-hearted Ale
IPA

L= 4.5 Pours a big 3 finger off white creamy head. The body is a beautiful hazy hefe orange.

S= 4.5 Bold pine and citrus hops hit the nose pretty hard in a delicious way. Faint sweetness present and no alcohol to mention.

T= 3.5 A well balanced slice of citrus and pine that builds to a bitter peak and then subsides to a sweet fruity finish.

F= 3.5 Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D= 5.0 (session) This is the perfect example of what I consider a session beer. It's not particularly high in alcohol, it's very well balanced, and you could drink more than one without feeling any ill effects. The beer changes character with a mild complexity each sip as it warms and has is a great addition to any fridge or beer collection. I would seek this beer out if you have not had it and on draft it is a must. Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

I have thoroughly enjoyed this beer over the past few years (since I have turned 21) and am proud to say that Two Hearted is my go-to beer.

I live in Bloomington, IN and am lucky enough to have this beer available at many local bars on tap. Now lets get down to it.

APPEARANCE- Beautiful golden/amber pour with an excellent 1"-1.5" head of foam. The color and carbonation stays consistent throughout the experience followed by excellent lacing left behind on the pint glass.

SMELL- While the smell maybe intimidating for amateur IPA drinkers, it is filled with a wonderfully citrus aroma with hints of honey and apple. This is one of my favorite aspects of this beer.

TASTE- Bell's makes their IPAs in a way that you won't forget. The two hearted tastes a little mild compared to the very full aroma. However, it is exceptionally smooth and continues to be the most drinkable IPA I have tasted. On tap it is truly a treat and has a bit sweeter taste to it compared to the bottle. I strongly recommend getting it on tap if available. Plus the label on the bottle is not the most appealing.

MOUTHFEEL- Wonderfully light bitterness with a sweet and citrusy sensation on the tongue. It finishes with a slight hoppy bite, but remains very enjoyable.

DRINKABILITY AND OVERALL THOUGHTS- I remain somewhat biased towards this beer, but because a combination of its somewhat mild flavor and wonderful aroma with a medium ABV,I consider this THE perfect session IPA. If you enjoy Bell's style and IPAs I would also recommend their seasonal Hopslam IPA which I would consider a more extreme Two Hearted.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.