2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Ratings: 8,748 | Reviews: 2,969 | Show All Ratings:
Chadbrew

Delaware

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for hooking me up at the DFH Bocce Tourney.
Pretty decent head and nice lacing. The beer is brownish-gold and there is sediment floating about, I guess I should have poured more carefully. There is a somewhat oxidized smell with some citrus and floral hops. Tastes like it smells but with a nice grapefruit sort of bitterness in the finish. I would really like to grab some of this fresh as even an aged example is very tasty.

09-25-2005 19:19:11 | More by Chadbrew
fromage

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Probably my favorite IPA. Pale amber with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Smell of grapefruit and pine from the centennial hops, sweet malt still comes through. Tastes like grapefruit cotton candy--so sweet and fruity--not from the malt, though, which is underplayed. Mouthfeel is full with a sweet but not too lingering aftertaste. I could (and have) drink these all night.

09-25-2005 02:43:50 | More by fromage
PatYoda

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a cloudy peach with a disintegrating head. Seems like I usually get more head out of this one, but this pour was very disappointing. Will rerate if necessary. Smell hits you right after you pour before you can even get your nose in there. An earthy, floral hop character dominates with some extra sweet pineapple in the background. Not much malt in there. Taste is delicious. No attempt at balance whatsoever is made, but that's ok in my book. The only time it hurts this beer is in the finish, which ends up very grainy and not quite as smooth as it could be. Other than that, this is just a full on hop attack, and it is done very well. Never before have I had an IPA that succeeds at balancing floral and citrusy hops so well. A fresh sample of this stuff is amazingly potent in taste, always blending the two main hop flavors together well. And there's no hop bite to speak of. It's hardly bitter at all and the mouthfeel is velvety. If there's not at least one of these in my beer fridge, then I'm either drinking my last one at the moment or I'm dead.

Edit: Bumped up appearance from 3.5 to 4.5. This is a beautiful beer - the bottle I reviewed must have been too cold or not very fresh.

09-25-2005 01:20:51 | More by PatYoda
redmosquito

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

The legend...at least in the midwest. Copper amber in color with a nice yeasty haze and everlasting white head. A floral hop aroma hits the nose in waves, followed by a light citrus hop and nice toasted malt background. Flavor is a solid balance of caramel malt, toasted malt, floral hops & bitterness, and fruity yeast. Nice smooth mouthfeel, not cloying but nicely sweet and lingering. A solid IPA deserving of it’s reputation.

09-24-2005 20:00:28 | More by redmosquito
kmo1030

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

hazy gold with thick off white head that laces. the aroma is of sweet grapefruit and perfumy floral hops with mild caramel malts. maybe a little of a pineapple aroma too. the taste has a good dose of bitterness with mostly grapefruity, but somewhat herbal hops. balanced with some dry caramel especially when it warms. the pineapple shows up in the flavor a little too. medium bodied and a little slick in the mouth with smooth carbonation, making for a very good creamy mouthfeel. great drinkability, as it is well balanced and not overpowering in the least. overall, a very good IPA, that would be a regular in my fridge if i lived in the distribution area. i was not even going to review this tonight, but upon tasting it i was inspired to.

a big thanks to warriorsoul for giving me a couple of these yesterday, never even spoken to him before. truely a Beer Advocate among beer advocates.

09-23-2005 00:00:24 | More by kmo1030
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa.

09-21-2005 19:28:05 | More by DaPeculierDane
waldowin

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I was expecting a strong ale, possibly a bit smokey, when I opened this bottle. Man was I wrong.

Appearance - Pours a golden amber, fading to yellow at the edges, with a thin almost pure-white head that stays as a ring all the way down.

Smell - As soon as I opened the bottle, large buds of hops leaped out of the bottle, up my nostrils and one-two punched my brain. That's how strong the hops smell is in this bottle, a wonderfully floral bouquet of hops that reminds me of home-brewing, followed by a small hint of honey and vanilla to smooth things out. I could smell this brew all day.

Taste - You'll like hops if you're drinking this beer. I generally don't care for most hops, and this one actually converted me. This beer doesn't exactly scream "HOPS!" at you quite the way an Arrogant Bastard Ale might, but the strength is the same. "Floral" is definitely the word here. Almost no malt taste up front, and a wisp of malts and something smooth at the end.

Mouthfeel - You can almost feel the leaves of the hop buds sliding across your tongue on this one. The alcohol is mildly astringent, and creates that effect with the flavor that is so dominant in this ale. It's a bit of a gassy beer, and every burp you have is going to slam your nose with hops again.

Drinkability - As great as both the flavor and aroma of this beer is, after a while it's like sticking your head in a bouquet of flowers, eventually you'll want some fresh air. Until then though, this beer is just amazing. *Many* thanks to Lrrr for opening my eyes to the world of good hops.

09-18-2005 06:26:35 | More by waldowin
Fugazme

Nebraska

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two-hearted pours a light orange, slightly rusty and slightly cloudy glass. A thick white head almost an inch high with big bubbles tops it. The look of the beer is great and I could detect the aroma before I held it up to my nose... always a good sign in my book.

On the first whiff it was hops and grapefruit. Second was big grapefruit, some berry and a nice flowery sweetness. Third was a powerful hops with hints of chocolate and mint.

Taste is exceptional. Slightly bubbly in the mouth and quite nice. Citrus and hops on the palate. Extremely clean. Easily a beer I'd buy a lot of if it were available in Nebraska. Will be seeking out more in the future.

09-16-2005 05:48:03 | More by Fugazme
Frozensoul327

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Bottle on 09/14/05
A: 4.0
S: 4.0
T: 3.0
M:3.0
D: 3.0

This could have been so much better... The apperance, the smell, both great. Flavor left so much to be desired... Poured out to a nice light orange / yellow color that was slightly cloudy. Nice head that was off white and cloud-like. Strong aroma of hops and pine, with citrus odors. This far, seems very nice. Taste was bland, very boring. Quite dry notes of hops and light spice, with minimal bitterness. Some aftertaste that was almost like having soap in my mouth. Yuck. Mouthfeel was nothing special, and the overall drinkability is nothing out of the ordinary, as this brew just wasn't a great American IPA, with only traces of malt and bitterness. If the sweetness factor and malt was upped, along with more citrus zing, this would be a killer brew. But there not, so it isn't.

UPDATED REVIEW
11/05/06

A: Murky orange color with a dense head of frothy off white foam. Lots of lace. Medium to medium low carbonation.

S: Wow. Lots of citrus, pine and zesty hops. A real treat. Straightforward presentation.

T: Quite possibly the perfect AIPA. Fresh hops, citrus, and pine notes are heavy, yet not overpowering or annoying. A noteable malt backbone is present, with herbal notes toward the finish.

M: Dense, yet not thick. Feels nice on the palate, and easy going down.

D: I've come full circle. I didn't like this beer back in the day, and it is now my go-to brew for my mounting hop addiction. I have at least one bottle of this on hand in the fridge at all times, no matter what. It is my drug of choice. I love hops. Praise to Larry Bell, this is his most wonderful creation.

Notes: This is my beer. I love it. A world-class American Classic. The best example of Craft Brewing in the United States.

09-14-2005 01:01:50 | More by Frozensoul327
RedHaze

Nebraska

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light orange/golden color with a solid two finger head that sticks around for a while, with quite a bit of lacing.

Has a really nice pine, citrus, floral hop smell to it.

Taste is initially piney, followed by slightly citric hops, and finishes with a nice sweet malt that keeps the hops from overwhelming.

Really nice IPA that I wish I had more of.

09-13-2005 03:05:06 | More by RedHaze
Bumpon10s

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a thin (for an IPA), slightly cloudy, orangey amber. A huge head on this thing that just kept on growing.

S - Hoppy, with a big pine note. It's as if I opened a bottle of Pine*Sol.

T - I am enjoying thwe hops in this, but it is perhaps a bit more floral and less citrusy than other IPAs I have enjoyed.

M - Very thin, I understand this isn't an Imperial, but it too thin for an IPA. Something leads me to beileve they watered this down a bit.

D - It goes down well, keeps clean and has a considerably low ABV. A very easy drinker.

This is a good IPA, but not a great IPA. Perhaps I was expecting a bit more from this, but it seems that Bell's weakened it up to get it selling a bit better. I liked it, but I don't think I'll be getting it again.

09-12-2005 06:51:20 | More by Bumpon10s
Px2GrafX

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with 4 color logo of an illustration of a fish with a red and white border. "two hearted ale" in a red cheesy cooper-like font with white shrink and swell. an explanation of their ipa is printed on the back. no abv or freshness date displayed. there is the number 6957 printed in a white box on the bottom of the label- maybe a batch code?

appearance: pours a super hazy dark caramel and orange with yellow-orange highlights in a tulip glass. nice two finger fluffy white head with a slight yellow cast. i mean, this beer is crazy cloudy with the top being much darker than the bottom. small trails are dropping through the beer to the bottom of the glass that looks like the last seconds of a firework. i don't know how else to describe it. a little odd.

smell: lotsa citrusy hops. lemons and grapefruits and a nice pineapple aroma. a light piney aroma as well. some alcohol in the late nose.

taste: first sip is citrus with an almost electric hop bitterness. lots of grapefruit and lemons. piney hop burps. there's a yeasty bready flavor at the end of the sip. there's very little malt flavors but maybe a little caramel as the brew warms. not very balanced at all. this is an ipa, though. finishes a little dry with a bitter aftertaste.

mouthfeel: smooth light medium body but crisp. nice carbonation and a very good swallow.

drinkability: one of those beers where i'm almost done drinking before i can rate the drinkability. therefore, dangerously drinkable! very tasty and smells dreamy. the aftertaste also keeps you yearning for another sip...or another bottle.

overall: very nice ipa. i hate when the only thing that really hurts a beer is it's appearance. the aroma makes up for it however. highly recommended.

09-11-2005 01:05:55 | More by Px2GrafX
Backer2004

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

I'm just enjoying IPAs more and more these days. Two Hearted Ale is another fine example of Bell's offerings. Rich and complex, with enough alcohol strength that this cannot be session beer. Great foam head and carbonation, nice hop character. Not my favorite IPA, but will definitely purchase this one if I'm back in the Midwest.

09-07-2005 00:48:59 | More by Backer2004
numenor1

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Friend brought this back from Wisconsin for me, first Bells offering i've tried.

Pours hazy light orange with a very fluffy, rocky head which never completely goes away and clumps down the glass. Smells of piny, floral, citrusy hops with a very slight funkiness to it. I like it. First up there's very soft bready malt then an incredibly full, round, lush(but not at all aggressive) orangy pine hop flavor takes over my mouth. Bready malts and a nice medium creamy mouthfeel support it throughout. An interplay of spicy hops and pale toasted malts linger on in the finish. This is really terrific. Such a round, full, yet subtle flavor. Drinkable to the end. Best IPA i've had yet; what it lacks in aggression is made up with its cunning subtlety. Sadly I only have one more bottle.

09-06-2005 19:15:31 | More by numenor1
tjthresh

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Two Hearted Ale has fine balance all the way through. In the aroma, the Centennial hops and sweet malt intertwine great. The bitterness is kept in check with a good malt back bone. It poured a hazy yellow-orange and a small off white head. The medium body makes this beer a staple beer in most households.

08-31-2005 12:30:25 | More by tjthresh
beveragecaptain

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a hazy golden color with a large off-white head. Piney hop aroma. Juicy hop flavor. The hops are very strong and give this beer flavors of grapefruit, pine, and flowers. The finish is very spicy and bitter. Malt flavor comes through a bit, but is really dominated by the hops. Any hop fan will love this beer.

08-31-2005 03:33:17 | More by beveragecaptain
sopor

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Every bit as good as everybody says it is, if not better! I'm a hophead, and this rocks!

Pale amber with a haze from slight amount of sediment I allowed to pour, not all of it or I wouldn't have been able to see through at all! Large frothy head filles the remainder of my pint glass then slowly dies to a creamy fil that sticks around and laces like none other. Lace is still there on the glass when I washed it about 14 hours later. Smell is hugely herbal and floral, reminfs me of my mother's gardens.

WOW, this tastes like I am drinking the air from a dead-cedar bog somewhere in the vicinity of Seney. Anybody know about "The Seney Stretch?" Open the windows next time you drive this 45 mile long dead-straight and flat peice of road, and you'll know the smell I mean! Herbal, floral, and a little piney, the hops overlay a slightly caramel and toasted malt. Leaves an aftertaste of herbal crisp hoppiness.

Moderate body definitely lets you know it's there without being too thick. Carbonation is light and dances on the tongue.

Spectacular brew! Makes me happy to live in Michigan!

08-30-2005 17:45:09 | More by sopor
malty

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer has a resident spot in my beer fridge as well being a top pick while being bellied-up at the pub. I can't believe it's taken me this long to formally rate it.

Clear (if you don't swirl & pour in the sediment) golden amber color with a sticky booming light beige head. Globular lacing for days.

Resinous fresh hops and pineapple galore. Let's break it down; pine sap dipped in powdered sugar, dripping citrus twang and steaming sourdough bread scents.

Flavors are beyond fresh citrus, apricot, peaches & pineapple all entwined in a floral hop bouquet to die for. The malt backdrop is graceful and rounded - no sharp edges here.

Mouthfeel is prickly velvet. Nice bite served on a plush velour medium-full body. Fine carbonation at a moderate level. The finish is dry, sweet and goes on for days.

The drinkability? Are you kidding me? Definitely a beer to have "If I were stranded on a desert island".

This IPA is perfect. The most citrusy and well-placed malt profile I've ever had the pleasure to experience in an IPA. The hops are oily, fresh and uplifting - not at all husky or raw. Very smooth and graceful, but can throw the gloves off if needed. A soon-to-be Michigan legend. I vote this to be our state beer. A must try.

08-28-2005 20:54:12 | More by malty
bahumutx

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a golden color with a nice size foamy head.

Smell: Has a very fruity smell. You can defiantly smell the hops.

Taste: At first a sweet malt taste graces the tongue and then the bitterness of the hops sets in. During all of this a slight citrus taste is also present on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: A very smooth beer with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer. Could be a session beer if you like this style of beer.

Once again a great job by the folks at Kalamazoo brewing. Keep up the great work!!!

08-27-2005 02:37:42 | More by bahumutx
MuddyFeet

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Big foamy head! No!!! Don't overflow. No, no, no, no. Phew, the pour was fine. Brownish orange in color, like clay-dirtied water. Some sediment floating around in there. Nose is full of light hops, but... Wow! Are they ever hidden once I tasted. Last time I homebrewed I had some extra whole hops and threw some in my mouth. Taste just like that. Very green and rich and vibrant and earthy. Feels like I am hiking in oregon again. Great balance with the malts too. Just enough sweetness to not allow the bitters to be overpowering. Just little bits of citrus rinds too. Do they also cask condition this ale? I wish, I surely wish... Mouthfeel is full bodied with a nice and dry finish. Actually drank it just slightly chilled and it tasted absolutely awesome.

08-22-2005 22:08:35 | More by MuddyFeet
therica

Maryland

We happened to be in Kalamazoo for a few days, and Bell's was recommended, so we tracked down the brew-pup and brewery-store - WHAT A HASSLE! After an hour of driving in circles, stopping and asking people on the streets (EVERYONE seemed to know where it was but were useless in giving helpful directions), we finally succeeded. It's near the downtown section, and none of the other places outside the city as shown on some maps etc. As a result, there wasn't enough time to stay for the pub, but we hit the store and bought a few cases-- including a case of Two-Hearted Ale.

It's rather hop-ish, typical of an IPA. If you're an IPA fan then you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit.

The basic consensus of our little group was mixed-- I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing I would seek out, again. Most of the others thought it was far too bitter. Of course they aren't much in the way of APA or IPA fans.

08-20-2005 03:34:39 | More by therica
GnomeKing

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a model for the style. I usually look for a nice balance between hops and malts. This beer goes beyond striking a nice balance, instead blending the two flavors into a seamless, perfect marriage. Sweetness and bitterness, the perfect pair, with a tinge of citrus to mix things up.

The head is foamy and the mouthfeel soft and full, yet there's not a creaminess, which is a quality I often find distasteful in IPAs. The beer's ample lacing looks nice as it sticks to the glass after every lovely sip.

At 6%, this makes for a nice session beer. Its flavors will provide endless delights, yet will never overwhelm you as you drink glass after glass. Two hearts aren't enough to contain the love I feel for this beer.

08-16-2005 21:21:21 | More by GnomeKing
Sixpoint

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

Booya!

08-16-2005 02:20:51 | More by Sixpoint
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale golden yellow, nice, long-lasting eggshell head, very good lacing. Smell and taste are very hoppy: cirtusy, zesty, perfumey, herbally. Mouthfeel is amazingly creamy. I ate this with some spicy dirty rice and it complemented it great. Hops still aren't really my thing, but even so, this is a pretty tasty beer; I can only imagine that if you like hops as much as some people here, this beer could be your constant companion.

08-15-2005 02:51:19 | More by battlekow
marcobrau

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

My Bell's Two Hearted Ale was bottled on July 21, 2005 .. and it shows! As I pour this golden brew into a straight-sided pint glass, I can't help but notice the massive hop aroma; a pine forest full of aroma, accented by a little citrus. the carbonation seems good and the beer displays a good head of foam that settles to thin layer, leaving lacing down the sides of my glass. Love that hop aroma! As a homebrewer, I'm guessing that Bell's added a lot of Centennial hops late or after the boil. After smelling hops, I get to taste 'em and the resiny hop flavor nearly overcomes the presence of some good honey-ish malt and slightly toasted malt flavors. All of this leads to a big bitter finish. Perhaps not the most complex IPA, but when consumed this fresh this beer is a joyous hop explosion!

08-09-2005 03:43:53 | More by marcobrau
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.