Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,252 | Hads: 12,853
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from 12oz. bottle to pint glass with one inch head.

A- Color of honey, I was expecting a darker amber hue, but this looks pretty good too.

S- The hops are exceptionally apparent, with very little else pulling through. Almost musty smelling. But again, very hoppy.

T- As is expected from an IPA, and at $9 a six-pack, the crisp quality resounds. The bitterness of a mulitude of hops lingers in the long aftertaste. Some faint taste of orange rind is also present with the aftertaste. Some creaminess as well as it goes down. It almost tastes like a wheat ale?

M- Some body to it, just right, what I expected in this brew. No watery presence at all, but a little body for you to work with.

D- Fair, I think the problem was my expectations were a bit high upon receiving this brew. Unfortunately for me, there is a bit of a wheat ale taste to it, which for me is a huge turn off. This is mostly taken over by the hops, which are abounding in this drink. Would come highly suggested for hop loving drinkers that don't mind a little hint of wheat. (1,064 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

As this is my first review, I decided to review my all time favorite beer...Bells Two Hearted Ale.

Pouring it into a glass reveals a late sunset orange hue. Decent amount of frothy head.

Much has been said about the citrusy character of the hops and that is why I love this beer. If I could pick one word to truly describe this brew, it would be "fresh". Fresh popping out grapefruit/lemony/piney hops. So smooth, yet full of MANY flavors.

Drinkability....off the charts. I could sip this fine brew all day long. If you are looking to try an IPA or just looking to drink a good beer anytime..you won't be dissapointed with Two Hearted. (647 characters)

I...love...this...beer.
Pours a beautiful bright amber into the glass with a good rack of foam and substantial subsequent lacing. To me, the aroma is one of mellow pine and sweet grapefruit. Taste is also of sweet grapefruit, bitter but sweet at the same time. I know this is a well hopped beer but you don't get that acrid bite that you get with some super hoppy beers. This one is very mellow, but with lot's of character.

At 6% abv, $8.99 a six, and with this flavor, you just have to love this beer as the ultimate session beer. (537 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This is my old stand-by. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, Two Hearted does the trick. Pours an amber, orangish color. The smell is flowers, pine, and citrus. The taste is incredibly complex and wonderful - bitter, sweet at times, piney (?), and more. Easily one of my personal favorites. (290 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a light shade of copper, with a dull haze. Dense head of one and a half fingers, stubborn lacing and great retention. The smell of whole hop cones are very apprent in the nose, fruity and herbal, with a hint of pine. Toasted amber malt and a slight ester begin the flavor, and a citrus/pine alpha-oil hop aftertaste balances the taste without drying it out. Light carbonation and medium body allow an uncommonly smooth mouthfeel for a I.P.A.; bitter without becoming harsh. Finishes with residual light caramel and a pleasent hop bite, an excellent drinkability. (568 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Partaken of at Union Jack's in Boyertown. Presented as an apricot colored beverage with moderate puffy head. The smell can only be described as a superb mixture of hops and fruit. Scents of peaches, apricots, and tangerines dominate, carressed by a subtle hoppiness. Taste is extraordinary, with the fruitiness in the foreground, but mellowed by a distinct hop essence. What an absolutely magnificient combination. Drinkability is absolutely perfect. My first beer from Bell's, and if this is an example of their brewing ability, I will definitely search more out. Excellent (574 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

Gift from Silenius, thanks for that!! Especially because it was handed over during your honeymoon.

Strong hop and orange marmalade smell when I opened the bottle.
Slightly foggy golden / rusty colour. Dots of yeast floating around. Small head with big bubbles; fading very quickly. Nice thin white layer remains.
Odour is very persistent, Oranges, hop. I can feel the bitterness on my tongue just by smelling the beer.
A very dry taste. Bitter, like licking orange peels. Again oranges of course with malt and rich hops. Pine tree. Some carbonation
The aftertaste is sharp, malt, orange candy; kind of slimy. Keeps on lingering in my mouth, quality doesn’t fade.

Even after two bottles of Stone IPA, this type of beer still is kind of unearthly for me. But I’m working on it. This one is more my kind of taste in comparison to Stone. It’s fresh, not overwhelming and tasty. A job well done!

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat! (934 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle. Label code 7150.

Sunny orange, slightly hazy body with a huge, frothy white head. A thing of beauty among IPAs. Mega-lacing left behind, too.

Nose is fresh-cut citrus with a noticeable malt component. The smell alone gets my mouth watering.

Flavor is huge with a piney citrus blast.Plenty of malt backbone there, to hold things together, but never overdone. There is just exactly as much sweetness as is required to offset that hop blast, not one iota more. This is one of the most well balanced IPAs I have ever had, up there with Goose Island (probably better). If I lived within range of either of these, they would be staples in my beer fridge.

Mouthfeel is that wonderfully tart and tangy, nearly astringent, highly carbonated zing of a top-notch IPA.

Drinkability is insane. It's hard to make this last, it just keeps going down, heavenly sip after sip. Again, I wish I lived within distro range of this one so I could get my hands on it regularly. Next summer, I'm bringing back a case! (1,024 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. This bottle is labeled “7139” and has one fish on the label…much different than the label on the BA website

A—hazy, cloudy, orange color with 1 inch head that quickly drops to ½ inch, then leaves just a little island blob of foam floating on the top, bubble like lacing on the glass

S—strong hops and malt scent, pine, floral, pepper, orange

T—Pine dominates at the beginning, giving way to mild orange and grapefruit flavor, well balanced hop and malt taste, superb!

M—sharp and a little slimy, but very nice

D—I tried this based on the recommendations of other BAs and it did not disappoint. This is a great IPA. Could drink several without any problem. Believe the hype! (739 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a slightly hazy amber orange, thick off white heads forms, nice lacing and amazing retention. Smell is piney, with citrus, and caramel/toffee. Taste is superbly balanced, tons of piney and citrus hops up front, then into a caramel/toffee, toasty middle, piney bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, super smooth. At first I thought this was overrated but I've had it a few times it isn't at all, world class IPA. (443 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Original sample date 5/27/03

Ah, a Memorial Day beer tasting which will include only selections made in the U.S. of A. As it should be...

Orange, cloudy appearance, about one finger of head. The aroma is one of the best I've ever smelled. Crashing waves of floral and pine, I am thinking this is going to be one bitter-assed beer based on what I'm sniffing.

Instead, what I got was one of the most incredibly well-balanced malt/carbonation/hop combos I've ever tasted. Not near as bitter as I thought it would, making it extremely drinkable, even at 7% abv.
The orangey, lemony, piney hop makes it difficult for me to remember and define the malt presence very well. When the bitter time finally arrives, it does so in complete step with the rest of the beer, not over the top at all, just solid and lingering. An awesome IPA. A friend of my brother tried it after qualifying that he doesn't like beers besides Bud. We turned him around in about 90 minutes after warming him up with some Holy Moses, Vertical 03 and then this one. He took a drink of his Bud and told me he was ruined for Budweiser beer now. A verklempt moment in the house, I was so proud of him. That's what it's all about... :-) We relegated the Bud for cleansing the palate between samplings...

***
This one is an experiment - what happens to Two-hearted after two years in lock-up???

Appearance - pours with a glowing tangerine color. Quite a frothy head, about 2 fingers, enough to make me halt the pour momentarily. I didn't pour much sediment in. The head is this crusty, almost shellac-ed looking thing and leaves large bubbles of lace in rings on the glass. 5.0

Aroma - mostly all florals, even a little soapy. It's lost some of its complexity but still smells good. 4.0

Taste - a calmer, tamer beer. A fairly chewy malt start, diminished pine and orange flavors working at the palate almost immediately. Not bad but it has a kind of soda water flavor to it, that salty kind of taste, as if to say, 'there used to be flavor in this spot but time has taken some of it away'. Ends with a flat grapefruit bitterness, present but not real biting. Past its prime but it'll drink. 3.5

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, carbonation has held well. 4.0

Drinkability - I'd call this experiment a success. I let this warm up to maybe 55 degrees before tasting, I wonder if this is one to have a little colder and maybe bottle up some of that soda water taste. It doesn't age all that well but it keeps great. 4.0 (2,480 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked batch 7168 into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hued orange color with a half finger white foamy head that diminished slowly to light white sticky lacing. Aroma is rich of floral hops, nicely accented by sweet malt pairings. Taste is absolutely incredible, excellent balance between hops and malt, yet far more complex, it's like nothing I've tasted before. At first taste, this IPA tarts off with a quick hoppy bite that is rich in citrus and floral notes, before giving way to a softer, caramelly sweet maltiness that leaves you wanting more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slick on the tongue, coats the mouth with a nice light oily feeling. Very, very drinkable, I think I may have a new favorite session beer, I will seek out more of this beer very soon. (817 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance- Cloudy, dull orange-gold color. Frothy, clingy off-white head. As the head recedes, the side of the glass stays covered by a thin blanket of lace.

Aroma- Herbal hops up front. Buttery, malty backbone. The hop aromas are strong, but the rich malt presence takes some of the edge off. Nice.

Taste- The body is substantial; it feels fairly oily in the mouth. The acidic, biting flavor of the hops is the first thing to hit the taste buds. Big malt flavors gradually work their way into the mix; the malt is sweet and biscuity. The hops hide in the background before popping up again in the finish, leaving a lingering herbal taste on the tongue.

Verdict- Without a doubt, this is the best IPA I've had. Spicy, full, complex and delicious. (756 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Wow!

WOW!

Sorry. I had to quote myself.

Cloudy golden in color. Medium head with lacing throughout the beer.

What a beaut this was. This beer is an original.

Taste: A smooth hoppy taste is present with a sugary grapefruit type of thing going on in the background. A very complex and fun beer to drink.

Smell: Hoppy Grapefruit, flowers, cotton candy notes

Notes: This was just a great beer night with Orval proceeded with the Two Hearted Ale. I think I have found a new regular beer and I don't think I will be going back to anything else.

WOW! (554 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured out of a bottle at about 50 oF into a clear pint glass. Nice orange-honey color. 1" white head that doesn't go away, medium-thick lacing.

Big and wonderful aroma of pine & citrus -- lemon & grapefruit.

Lots of carbonation, slightly malty up front with a wonderful bitter hoppy finish.

I like this beer a lot, it's one of my favorite IPAs. (356 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Batch 7196, 2005

Pours bright orange with a huge rocky head and loads of carbonation. Visually it reminds me of Saison Dupont, but that is where the comparisons stop. The nose is absolutely gorgeous. It smells of grapefruit and spice with a slight nod towards marijauna and pine. It smells like fresh hops, perfect for an IPA. The palate is slightly more balanced. The initial palate is some sweet pale and caramel malts which are quickly washed away by a tidal wave of hops. Again, citrus and pine flavor are predominant with a deep, powerful bitterness. The mouthfeel is is crisp and refreshing due to the high carbonation and light malts.

This beer is fantastic. It is my personal benchmark for what an IPA should taste like. My only complaint is that it is significantly better when fresh which takes out any chance of aging this beer. Overall this beer is outstanding. (879 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Let me say first that I love this beer. It is floral and spicy and very aromatic. But as other reviewers may have pointed out, it is rather unbalanced. Some may call this "hop juice" for its aggressive hop flavor and aroma. Pours a rich golden color, brighter than most amber colored ales. Nice frothy head that turns quickly into a white ring leaving lacing down the glass. Aroma is rough hewn and woody. Flavor is hoppy,less malty, with hints of citrus and apple. Mouthfeel is only average since the ultra high hop flavor makes this dry and rough at times. (558 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first Bell's beer. The number on the bottle is 7139. The beer is a cloudy amber color. The head was minimal. The smell is sweet. The taste is verry hoppy. Sweet notes linger for a while. Bitter at first with a sweet aftertaste. The beer leaves a refreshing coolness in the mouthfeel. The drinkability is high but deffinatly not a session beer. I would drink it again if it were available in my area. I would love to have a cask version of this sometime. (464 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Beer #10 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale pours a dark golden color into my pint glass. Atop the hazy, bottle-conditioned liquid sits a 1/2", off-white head that collapses onto itself after a few minutes. Hight levels of carbonation create a smooth, bubbly head. Lots of delicate lacing. The aroma is dominated by the citric smell of the hops, but not overwhelmingly so; unlike many other IPAs, it's also evident that there's some maltiness present as well.

The flavors present in this beer come together almost flawlessly. The hop bitterness is wonderfully complex; after every sip, a different fruit seems to come through: grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, etc. These citrus flavors do not overwhelm the overall flavor profile, though, and after a little bit, the sweet toasted flavors of the malt pop up as well. Mouthfeel is wet and moderately full, the finish is quite hoppy and not as balanced as the taste is.

Overall, Two Hearted Ale is an outstanding IPA; it's insanely redrinkable. I'd drink this beer all the time if it was available anywhere near me. (1,099 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I've been meaning to re-review Bell's Two Hearted Ale ever since I had the bottle that led to my first review because I was convinced that it had seen better days. I bought an uber fresh sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and have worked my way through it over the past few weeks. Since I've been more impressed with each passing bottle, this last one should be otherworldly. Damn, I knew I should have bought more than six.

Ripe apricot-amber with an all-encompassing cloud of fine particulates. The ivory colored cap contains the barest blush of pale orange and is a thing of beauty. Milkshake creamythick and hop resin sticky, it leaves buttery thick sheets of minutely pocked lace on the glass that will, no doubt, have to be removed with gallons of scalding water.

Ah... the intoxicating aroma of fresh Centennial hops! As I drank the other bottles, I debated the gloriousness of Two Hearted's nose. At this moment in time, however, I can't imagine a better smelling IPA. The insanely bright, incandescent, pungent, grapefruit juicy hops cement the notion in my mind that every member of the 4-Cs, whether used alone or in combination, and if used skillfully, are the best beer hops in the world, hands down.

I know what this beer tastes like with some age on it and now I know what it tastes like fresh. It has barely passed the 4-week mark from the time of bottling to my mouth... and it tastes like it. A more than solid backbone of buttery soft, teasingly sweet pale malt greets my every sip and is still very nearly annihilated by a hop explosion that is so fresh and so immediate that it makes me want to weep.

This is one of the best examples of a 'candied white grapefruit sections' IPA that I can think of. Spruce makes a welcome contribution, but nothing else gets in the way of the grapefruit love. If I had to think of one word to describe this beer, that word would be 'beautiful'. I'm not talking about the appearance, although it looks great, but about the entire experience. Two Hearted tastes so perfectly balanced, so deliciously hoppy, so... sublime, that beautiful is the only word that truly fits.

The mouthfeel is a smidgen lighter than I'd like, but that's such obvious nitpicking that I'm embarrassed to type it. It's supremely smooth and silky, making the drinking as natural as breathing. An absolutely perfect amount of carbonation doesn't hurt what is, quite simply, mouth candy.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a world-class IPA, period. In fact, I'm considering an e-mail assault on the talented Mr. Bell until he decides to extend his distribution area this far west. If I had this fine ale within easy reach, it would have a permanent place in my beer fridge. With regular consumption, say a sixer every week, I'd probably begin to tire of it in... oh, about 2035. (2,799 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle Pours a cloudy gold with a cramy white head. Mostly lastingand good lacing. Aromas are hoppy with touches of flowers, citrus, and pine. Taste is medium bodied with a nice consistancy and carbonation. Has a good bitter/alcohol finish which lasts well. A very decent IPA as expected from Bells. (305 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly-cloudy gold pour with a big white head that fades slowly and leaves sheets of lace. Good-looking carbonation. Smell is citric and grapefruit-laden, but with a slight malt backing and some little pine notes. Flavor is equally hoppy, with the grapefruit and orange coming through just as clear, but the malt is doughy and ample. Finishes with a lingering, fruity bitterness that can't be beaten.

Overall: A great IPA that's in the top handful of American examples. Always a treat. (491 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of Boxing Day BIF and Pentathlete.

Pours a hazy golden colored ale with a good white head.

Smell is lots of very aromatic and fresh hops. Good mix of hops not just limited to the usual North Western USA pine and grapefruit varieties. Aromas of spices and mint with a touch of citrus and pineapple. There is a nice malt backbone here to, sweet fruit juice.

Taste is mildly sweet and candy like with a good hop hit at first. The malt is a bit honey like but there is ample bitterness to hide it here. Good floral hop flavors here along with some pine and citrus that it seems every IPA has. Spicy and woody flavors are the last level of hop flavors to emerge. An extremely full flavored IPA.

Mouthfeel is good.

A super solid IPA experience here. Very tasty but after one your taste buds are a bit hop saturated so that it would be a waste of good beer to drink this just to get drunk. (938 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Foggy gold with a large white head that falls to a sturdy table. Nose is all pine sap and lemon rind. Taste is all perfumey hops with some raw bitter oils and a lemony after taste. There is no balance here, this is a hop heads brew all the way. Mouthfeel is medium to full, outstanding finish. Decent drinakbility for such a hoppy beer. A fine IPA. (348 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz. bottle provided by Frozensoul327

Pours a quite hazy golden color with a white head that thins, but doesn't completely fade. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma of citrusy grapefruit with a hint of caramel maltiness that peeks through now and then. It smells "tangy".

Has a very smooth combo of citrusy hops and a caramel malty sweetness upfront. This is washed away by a gentle wave of hops and finishes quite cleanly. Actually quite balanced and very delicious.

Nice full, smooth body.

This is a great version of an American IPA. I could drink this every day. This beer definitely deserves the hype that it gets. (631 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.