Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,759
3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Appear : Reddish, transparent. - 4/5
Aroma : Big citrus, a little bit of tropical fruits and malty sweetness. - 8/10
Mouthfeel : High carbonation, medium body - 4/5
Flavor : Dry, bitter, hop aroma in mouth, very solid - 7/10
Overall : Nothing outstanding, classic but very well balanced and drinkable. Love it. - 14/20

4.94/5  rDev +16%

I have had a lot of beers in my young life. This is my go-to beer. The first time I tasted it, I wept. The only reason I didn't give this a perfect 5 is because I have to hold on hope that one day I will try a beer that is better than this.

Edit: Also, I know a guy that knows a guy that knows the brewmaster at Bell's. He told me there are as much hops in 1 pint of Two-Hearted as there are in 7 and a half cases of Budweiser.

It is difficult to guess the style of this beer. As a short definition I would say: something slightly better than an industrial lager. Basically it is an "adult-oriented beer". It has no punch, no stridency, no loudness, it is for people who couldn't endure a real IPA. It is an industrial lager without defects, but It lack any possible kind of interest.

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Beautiful Gold/Copper frosted tone that is barely see-through. Long Lasting cream colored head with a buttery consistency.
Smell: Sweet and fruity with notes of lemon-lime, grape juice, pineapple and cane sugar. Barely any malt character. Fairly one-note.
Taste: Pretty balanced for an IPA. It is actually conservative on the fruity character with some grapefruit and grape notes, but it is bold on the hops and malts.
Feel: acidic punch with a wonderful full-bodied feel and nice mouth-coating, malty finish. For the strangest reason it reminded me of eating some excellent, moist cornbread.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and this could be my highest rating this far. It was hoppy, as with most IPA style beers, but incredibly smooth. The aftertaste almost seemed malty in some way. The carbonation wasn't too strong - well-balanced. Good down to the last drop. I'd definitely get this one again.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy, dark orange with a thin white head.
S: Very tropical, pineapple, grapefruit notes. Some sweet sugar and bready aromas as well.
T: Similar to the nose. Tropical notes seem to resonate throughout the sip. Bitter grapefruit like aftertaste.
M: Medium carbonation, slight bitterness with a dry, hoppy finish.
O: Very good! I finally was able to pick up a 6 pack when I went through NY. I'll definitely buy more in the future. Reminds me a bit of "Sculpin", but with a better price tag ($11/6).

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good ipa! I had heard this was good and finally bought a four pack of pints. Drank from the can like an American. This a a very hoppy first taste but finishes very softly with at topical aftertaste. Really good ipa and I am glad it's readily available to me. I wish the alcohol % was a little higher but a very solid brew that I will be purchasing again.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

Look: Orange Gold, white head
Smell: apricot, grapefuit, oranges
Taste: citrus, floral, caramel, perfectly balanced hops and malts
Feel: refreshing and perfect
Overall: best readily available IPA in existence

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker glass. Color was a dark amber to almost a light brown. White foamy head, about a finger thick. Strong smell of citrus and pine followed by a little bread. Taste is citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit, following into a bit of pine, and then finishes with a bready flavor. A little bit of malt to balance out the hops. Feel is light, not quite a medium bodied beer, floats about the mouth. Finishes quickly and cleanly, a little lingering pine flavor that is kind of nice actually. While I wouldn't have this as a regular drinker for me it's certainly a pleasant beer that I wouldn't mind picking up from time to time.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz

Pours a mostly clear amber gold, white head retains as a film.

Smells of caramel and biscuit malt with fresh grapefruit and pine hops.

Tastes of biscuit malts, honey, grapefruit, pine resin, and fresh fruity hops.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Been drinking this for years and only just realized I'd never reviewed it. Top notch IPA, lots of love about this. Great aroma, great flavor, great body. The balance is perfect, everything is pronounced but nothing is overwhelming. One of the best IPAs you can get.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer is very good poured from a can to a glass. Has a good taste I don't see the problem with the taste of hops disappearing. It keeps me interested great beer will buy again.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Excellent aroma and beautiful in a glass. The taste fades a bit as it warms towards the bottom of a pint glass, but this is a great beer that I'll drink regularly.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Have had this beer hundreds of times and when fresh (which unfortunately isn't always the case) it is one of the better IPAs out there. Not incredibly hop forward like a lot of new IPAs, but very well balanced and a joy to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Deep golden orange, thick white head fades very slowly, rings of lace. Big tangerine peel and floral aroma, wow. Tastes like it smells but with a solid malt backbone. Such a clean tasting brew with a mineraly quality. Medium soft mouthfeel with crisp zesty grapefruit peel finish. First time I've had this one in a while. So glad Bells is here now in NOLA.

2.56/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got this on tap at a party. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled of citrus, grapefruit and very hoppy. Tastes the same as it smelled. Not a fan of IPA's. Thought this was a different kind of Ale. Was rather disappointed.

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not my favorite style of beer, but I had heard so many good things about this. Thought I would give it a try. Bought a 4 pack of 16 oz. cans for $8.99.

L- Orange hazy color with a creamy 2 finger head. Head stuck around for a while, some good lacing. Nice looking ipa.
S- Smell hit as soon as I started pouring. Citrus, grapefruit, floral hop. Haven't had a lot of ipa's but I don't imagine they would smell much better than this. Very nice hoppy smell.
T- Wow, this is a flavorful beer. Taste follows spot on with nose, citrus, grapefruits, pine. Not too bitter at all.
F- Nice mouth feel for such a hoppy beer. It's heavy and strong but feels almost medium bodied.
O- Well, this was a very nice ipa. I don't prefer this type of beer, but it was very enjoyable. A nice introduction into ipa's. If your looking for a ipa that's not too overwhelming, check this out! Excellent beer, worth the hype!

2.54/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice amber/ orange color with a good head. Has a sweet citrus/hoppy aroma. Taste follow with a bitter citrus peel flavor. Has a decent feel not watery or thick. Bitter is not my style of beer(got from my daughter see likes fruit ipas).But I've had worse.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's Two Hearted Ale has a thin-to-medium white head, a somewhat hazy, bubbly, orange-gold appearance, with some stringy lacing left behind. The aroma is of apricot-like hop oils and sweet, white bread. Taste is of those elements, with pronounced, but in now way harsh, bitterness. Mouthfeel is high medium, and Bell's Two Hearted Ale finishes dry and highly drinkable.

RJT

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent balance of hop and malt. I didnt get any grapefruit mentioned in Bells ad but got a lot of other great tastes on the up front and finish. Pine and resin mostly and gladly detected no tropical.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a big fan of IPAs, and I didn't realize this was an IPA until I took my first drink of it, but I was pleasantly surprised about how his this tasted. Now again this isn't my favorite style (far from it) but i could knock a couple of these two hearted babies every once in a while when I'm feeling hoppy.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bell's just cannot make bad beers, and they did it again with two hearted. It's perfectly balanced and sells really well for us. I am selling it in bottles but next time I would order it in a keg.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Exactly what an IPA should be: well-balanced, complex flavors with strong hoppy overtones and hints of citrus and pine. A rewarding experience, and one of my few regulars. Definitely recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Slightly murky golden orange color. Wonderful aroma of every hop note you can think of. Perfectly balanced with just the right combination of bittering hops to malt sweetness. Very full-flavored and aromatic. I can't imagine an IPA fan not loving this beer. This was one my early IPA discoveries and back in the day, there weren't very many beers that could compare. Two Hearted is just as good today as it ever was but maybe it doesn't stand out from the crowd quite as much as it once did just because of the sheer numbers of great IPAs out there. Still a benchmark IPA as far as I am concerned.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice deep amber color. Smells of oranges. The upfront taste is bitter and of lemon peel, followed by tastes of tangerine and orange. Overall, this is quite a crisp and refreshing IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.