2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Ratings: 8,718 | Reviews: 2,963 | Show All Ratings:
99bottles

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

I can't believe I found this in PA ! Let's see what ya'll midwesterners are hooting and hollering about. One note here - this bottle is covered in dust, and I have no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf. Really, start a petition out there or something to get Bell's to start labeling dates. If it's of any relevance, it has what looks like the first half of a brook trout on the label; it's not the same one on the website.

This thing essentially exploded out of the bottle. Its a very pretty orange gold hue with HUGE white head that rises quicker than anything I've ever seen. Oh wow. I can smell it already.

This is the best smelling nose I've ever had. I don't even want to drink it. I just wanna sit here and sniff. When you say floral hops, this is what you should compare it to. Really though. If this were a perfume, I'd make my girl wear it everyday for ever.

Taste. Oh wow. That's awesome. It's so smooth and approachable. This is why I think it might be aged. It's not the hop monster I expected. Or if it is, the hops are so sweet and delicate that I am going insane. This is good because it lacks the heavy maltfeel every other IPA has. It's not an amber bombed with hops, its lighter in color and lighter in mouthfeel. I can't believe the balance. There's great carbonation, but it's so smooth I would have missed it if I didn't hold it up to the light. Erotic magazines....erotic tangerines.... (sorry but I just watched the funniest movie ever--Run Ronnie Run-- go rent it and pop a sixer--hilarious) Holy crap. Strange and delicious fruit. This beer is AWESOME ! It's like drinking your prom date's floral arrangement.

Mouthfeel: heaven.

What is it with new strange beers from across the country usurping my hometown hero, Victory? This is better than Hop Devil. Different for sure. My new favorite IPA.

03-24-2004 21:47:17 | More by 99bottles
RoyalT

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

03-22-2004 03:01:44 | More by RoyalT
Tballz420

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Looks like i got a new version of the bottle, mine has a fish on it.

This one poured out a cloudy orange body, with lots of little bubbles. Big bubbly white head topping it off. The scent is sticky hop sap and some citrus notes as well. The taste is a big whack of oily hop blast. Good aftertaste. A pretty good beer, a hopheads delight.

03-19-2004 19:37:47 | More by Tballz420
BeerResearcher

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
It pours a wonderful honey amber color with a medium-sized white head and a fair amount of trailing and sticky lace.
A big blast of floral hops is noticed upon opening the bottle and increases in intensity during the pour. Citrusy hops and a faint malt smell emerge briefly, then fade. The floral hop aroma remains.
A lightly sweet biscuity malt flavor meekly sets the table for the abundance of hop flavors. Grapefruit, lemons, orange zest and limes make up a jowl clinching citrusy hit. A mild metallic bite and some peppery spices act as seasonings for this potently charged IPA.
Had the Brits invented this stuff during their colonization of India, they'd be flying the Union Jack in Bombay today.
Thanks to Feloniousmonk!

03-17-2004 02:20:01 | More by BeerResearcher
elmocoso

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This one is a cloudy gold drink with a very pale head that soon subsides to a thin lacy blanket on the top.

The interesting think about this one, to me, is the smell. At first whiff i got a floral hop aroma but upon closer examination I am getting a really strong movie popcorn butter smell. This is very interesting and i don't know if this is supposed to be present. I will now drink, minding the unpoped kernels.

Yeah, its there. There is the usual malt taste and the bitterness of the hops, but in the for-ground is a taste of movie popcorn butter. It is not exactly unpleasant, but it is very present and kind of grabs all the tasters attention. I am not sure i appreciate it in there.

I will have to give this one another try. Although it is a decent beer, I wonder how the butter taste works into it. I think the drinkability suffers from it.

UPDATE.

Having acquired a new bottle of this from the famous FM, I am re-reviewing it with more positive results.

A bloomy could of bulbous head on a Dusty gold liquid. Head recedes leaving a moon like surface. Hops are very apparent and makes the mouth water.

There is an odd background smell that reminds me of drywall mud. The head is clinging and very attractive.

Mouth is amazingly smooth. Perfect balance. Sweet and tangy and reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard. Mouth waters after first drink and mouth-feel is great. Drinkability is A-one!

el

03-14-2004 03:26:36 | More by elmocoso
Billolick

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle, pours light orange and very clear. White head which quickly went to a tiny bubble film and left nice linear lacing. Nose is piney hops. Taste is also dominated by strong, piney, grainy, resiny hop flavors. Grapefuit, lemon, pine, melon and honey on the tongue. Enough of a malt center to add balance. Medium bodied, fairly thin mouthfeel. A well crafted and enjoyable American style IPA.

03-13-2004 04:37:34 | More by Billolick
jimdkc

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a hazy golden amber with a respectable off-white head. Head initially appeared creamy, but soon the bubbles grew larger...almost spongey looking. Head eventually fell back to about a quarter inch which stayed around quite a while, leaving a good bit of lace down the glass.

Smell was at first fruity. I thought I smelled apples in the first whiff, but then couldn't find them on the second sniff. Next I got a nosefull of heavily floral, citrusy hops... almost too flowery!

Flavor was sweet malt at first, then the HOPS kick in! Again, floral flavor first, then spicy, grapefruity bitterness. Aftertaste had a definite orange-peel character that lingered a good, long while.

Mouthfeel was creamy and carbonation was just right. However, I couldn't imagine drinking a lot of these in a row!

I imagine that 2 months ago I wouldn't have liked this much. But, over the last 2 months, I've sampled a lot of different brews and I can tell that my tastes are maturing. I think I'd like to re-review this about a year from now and see what I think of it then!

03-04-2004 03:35:35 | More by jimdkc
abents

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Apperance: Pours a golden hue with yeast clouding the glass. A thick stiff white head appears and falls within a minute or two leaving white lace around the rim.

Smell: Aroma of citrusy hops that lingers in the nose. This thing smells delicious.

Taste: Storng malt flavor followed by a very citrus/grapefuit hoppy flavor. A little bitter at the end kind of sharp but the aftertaste lingers of hops and dries out the mouth nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. This beer floats down your throat and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew that goes down very easily, you could drink this beer all year long.

Apparently two hearted is now a yearlong brew. If this is true expect some quality drinking all year.

03-03-2004 00:09:01 | More by abents
Bruiser81

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This brew poured a very murky orange color with a white foamy head that settled down to a thick sheet. Lacing was all over the place.
The aroma had a lot going on. Lots of citrus coming through along with a strong floral hop aroma. While hops mostly dominated the nose their was a very powerful sweet malt backbone. A strong alcohol spice was also present.
The taste was great. A beautifully balanced beer. The first sip hits with a big bready malt flavor. Lots of pale malt and an overall biscuity flavor. This is followed by huge hop kick with lots of grapefruit leading to a slightly bitter finish. A little bit of alcohol spiciness lingers into the aftertaste.
This beer has sort of a creamy mouthfeel and goes down real smooth. Very drinkable. Its a shame I can't get this here.

Big thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this my way.

03-02-2004 03:03:47 | More by Bruiser81
Gasp100

Delaware

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a orange/amber with a frothy white head and considerable lacing. The smell was pine and citrus bigtime. The taste was piney, acidic, citrusy but just too astringent for my taste. The first couple of sips were a little jarring, but once my taste buds got comfortable I started to feel the overall balance and crispness of the brew. Still, a little too heavy on the citrus aspect and after about 2 I was done. This is a great IPA but I did not find this to be my favorite style of IPA overall -- there is something different between the East Coast brewer's IPA's (Sly Fox, Victory) and the West Coast (other area's) which I can't put my finger on but I know I like the East Coast's IPA brews better (more balance, malt, not as much citrus/acidic taste?).

02-28-2004 18:19:09 | More by Gasp100
Foxman

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It pours a hazy honey orange, an almost vibrant hue. A puffy off-white head swells then settles gradually to a bubble-specked pond of uneven froth. There's considerable amorphous lacing.

The aroma brings a dense fragrance of pine, along with sweet berry notes skittering about the edges. Dry citrus flits between the more dominant elements, along with a decided but slinky malt sweetness.

On first sip the malt sweetness asserts itself immediately on the tongue, only to be swept aside by an astringent and spicy grapfruit assault. Pine and floral tones intermingle through the middle, as well as a gentle baked-dough warmth. Hops dominate toward the end, with a genuine deciduous bitterness along the back ridge of the tongue. The hops are more poignant, but the malt character evens the scales impressively.

Medium bodied, the flavor is distributed with a buttery feel, pillowing on the palate, then leaving a healthy and pleasant hops tingle on the tongue.

My eternal appreciation to kwalters for getting this one to me!
There's malt to spare, but the hops are the headliner here. Everything about this splendid brew draws attention to the piney hops presence and results in a simple and balanced treat. Calling it drinkable would be a considerable understatement, as the crisp flavors dare you to stop at just one. And as with potato chips, you just can't. But then, why would you want to when you know how good the next one will be? The reputation is well earned, delivering in grand style across the board. Certainly, in this case, Two Hearts are better than one.

02-28-2004 16:16:38 | More by Foxman
Morris729

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a semi-hazy golden orange color with a tall foamy white head that slowly dissipates into a heavy and rocky lace. Nose is floral hops and fruity esters (grapefruit, tangerine, and peach) along with a bit of fresh grain. Medium in body with a good deal of active carbonation, though the initial zestiness becomes more creamy towards the finish. Taste begins with some sweet malt quickly followed by a doughy and biscuity flavor. A lot of fruit bitterness is present towards the end with notes of grapefruit and a bit of lemon rind. Nice IPA here—just wish it was available locally. Thanks to feloniousmonk for the sample!

02-23-2004 02:01:30 | More by Morris729
kwalters

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

This is an exceptional brew, to be sure. Before ever having taken a sip I was already enamoured by the great label, the local brewery (I'm in Michigan), and the fantastic name. The Two Hearted is a great trout stream in Michigan's upper pennisula. It also happens to be one of Hemmingway's favorites. Very cool!

Two Hearted pours like liquid gold with slight hints of orange and copper color. The wonderful flowery aroma is instantly noticeable. Drink this stuff out of a brandy snifter because you'll most definately want to stick your nose inside to soak up the scents. If you could bottle spring air, this is what it would smell like.

Now for the taste. The first sensation your tongue gets is the same as the one picked up by your olfactory nerves. Flowery, hoppy, delicious. There's also plenty of citrus flavors to enjoy as well. In fact, if Two Hearted smells like spring air, it surely tastes the way I imagine fresh orange blossoms would.

Try a bottle (or six!). You'll be belching pleasant flower burps for the rest of the evening!

02-19-2004 14:50:32 | More by kwalters
barleysangel

3.33/5  rDev -22%

First of all, I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but being a sport, I try everything.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy light brown with an orange tinge. The head was white and foamy with lacing to the end of the beer. I like the smell, it's flowery. The taste was bitter I definitely didn't like the aftertaste. It was a little less bitter when it was warmer. The mouthfeel was good, it went down easily, normal carbonation and relatively light. Again, I'm not a fan of IPAs, and I most likely won't have another one of these.

5/24/04: Wrong, I had another.

02-15-2004 01:15:01 | More by barleysangel
bigbubba

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

This is a great hoppy beer. It is a hazy light orange with a thin head that laced the glass all the way to the bottom. The floral hoppy fragrance is incredible, as is the taste. It is a very drinkable beer with a good mouthfeel. I think it's time for another.

02-13-2004 01:14:21 | More by bigbubba
budsboy

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy light orange with a quickly disappearing white bubbly head and some pretty sticky lacing.

Fragrant this is. Smells wonderful. Floral hops indeed. There's a spiceness in there too that I can't quite figure out.

Taste is sharp, floral and hopped up. Bitter bitter dry finish. I'm usually not much for the hopsters, but the floral essence of this one is pleasing. Bold, foreward beer.

Medium bodied, heavier than I expected from the looks of it. It isn't the kind of beer I could double up on, but one here and there would be a pleasure.

02-12-2004 21:29:49 | More by budsboy
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

This brew is poured into my glass and a hazy yellow color shows up. A fairly substantial bright white head follows closely behind the pour, then fades to a thin layer around the edge of the glass. Aroma is hoppy! Floral characteristics and some sour grapefruit scents too.

The first sip reveals a fairly mild flavor, I get a short trace of malt sweetness which is followed and overwhelmed by hops, mostly citrus through to a crisp, sour grapefruity finish.
The brew has an average body and medium carbonation.
This would be a nice brew on a hot day or with a plate of cheese and crackers. Now I see why all the "hopheads" rave about this one!

02-08-2004 06:45:23 | More by sulldaddy
jwilli7122

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

label reads: "...well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula." So - this beer is named after the great Hemingway short story "big two-hearted river."

Pours a murky dark yellow with a monsterous off-white head that's slow to fade. good lacing.

Nose is loud spicy grapefruit with hints of banana and a pinch of malt sweetness. Taste up front is very smooth- bready with sweet fruit flavors. develops into a soft fatness in the middle before being cut by a medium-heavy rush of hops that is just perfect. aftertaste is typical IPA medium/heavy bitterness... not overdone. The ideal IPA.

I think this is my new favorite beer.

note: Even in the same 6 pack I've noticed differences bottle to bottle. Some bottles seem to be more heavy on hops than others. Is it possible that this is due to other factors, such as temperature when consumed?

02-07-2004 09:47:23 | More by jwilli7122
stewart124

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A golden yellow brew with a thick white head and an aroma that I could smell as soon as I opened the bottle. My mouth was watering while I poured this beauty. Strong floral hop smell as well as notes of citrus and maybe a pear. The taste is of a hop spice that does well to blend with the tastes of fruit. Very well balanced beer. There is a sweetness to this beer that lets the hops tickle your tastebuds without causing too much damage. This was truely a delight and I would recommend this to anyone in love with hops.

02-06-2004 02:08:39 | More by stewart124
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lightly hazy golden-copper color, and is topped by a offwhite creamy head. The aroma is of hops; grapefruit, apricot, citrus, and perhaps some pine, which adds an astringent note. The taste of the beer is quite good, to be to the point. But let me pontificate a bit more. There is a light sweetness which contributes to the citrusy hop flavor quite a bit. It is pretty bitter in the finish as well. The hops are not totally dominated by citrus though, there is some herbal notes, some hop spicines, and some notes of pine here as well. In the end a fairly dry beer, but made so because of the generous hopping. There is some malt sweetness here which helps to hold up the hop onslaught. The hops set a tingling sensation to my tongue, that screams pay attention to my hoppiness. This is a great everday beer, though perhaps it is just missing some slight amount of hop flavor & malt backbone to push it over the edge.

02-05-2004 19:02:00 | More by Gueuzedude
alexgash

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Beautiful, slightly hazy apricot body with a fluffy, yet sticky off-white head. Hugely aromatic citrus hops--orange, lemons, and grapefruit. Lean malt backing lends a nice sugary complement to the heavenly hops. Taste: some malt up front, fruity with a bit of caramel. Big citrus hops dominate. Big, but not too big, in bitterness. This has just an amazing citrus taste to it! Finish is long, acidic and bitter. Big feel for it's size, and very drinkable.

01-29-2004 19:28:36 | More by alexgash
mrpicklerelish

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all.

01-26-2004 20:24:50 | More by mrpicklerelish
assurbanipaul

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours bright orange with a thick, fluffy white head that lasts forever. Nose is fresh, fragrant hops all over the place with some sour spiciness in the mix. Yeast and citrus hiding in the background.

Taste is bright, fresh and aggressive. Tons of yeasty, bready textures with a large hop profile and subtle malt. Dry, bitter, crisp, light on the palate and leaves the mouth clean with little aftertaste.

Even though bottled, this tastes like fresh-brewed. One of the better IPAs I've found. Many thanks to trbeer for introducing/sharing this with me.

01-26-2004 02:39:17 | More by assurbanipaul
yankeeheel

Maine

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a clear golden amber with a huge frothy pillow of a white head. Smells a little bready, buttery, hoppy. Tatses quite reasonable for an IPA, a style I admit I'm trying to open myself too. A little bit of buttery diacetyl up front is followed by a pleasant wave of hops. Some citrus and grass like hints follow the initial hop explosion. Mouthfeel is moderate. Lots of afterglow on the palate with this one. Emminently drinkable.

01-25-2004 01:51:16 | More by yankeeheel
chilidog

4.1/5  rDev -4%

This Bell's lived up to what I was expecting it to. The hazy orange-golden colored ale picks away from the bottom up at the large, full golden tan head. Lace is plenty but in spots. The aroma is bursting with floral and citric hops. That hop is carried over to the taste with a more citric favor. Taste of grapefruit with a not overdone lingering bitter is left on the mouth. If your expecting a drinkable, well hopped IPA thats well put together, you can expect thisone to do the job.

01-24-2004 13:56:14 | More by chilidog
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.