Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,276 | Hads: 12,964
4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I checked the batch number on Bell's website to make sure it was fresh. Although it was I wish they would just put dates on their bottles.

Poured a deep golden color with a thick foamy head. It appears to be alive with carbonation bubbles rushing towards the top of the glass.

It smells like the model IPA should, all hops with hints of citrus.

I was in love from the second this beer reached the inside of my mouth. The hoppy flavor gave me a real kick without being overpowering. Afer swallowing a gulp the carbonation stays a while to dance on my tongue. This beer was refreshing and full-bodied at the same time. Drinkability is dangerousely high for a beer of this strength. A great offering from Bell's and one of my favorite two beers that they make. This also stood up very well to a spicy chicken pita that I ate for dinner. All and all a great beer. If you're a hophead it is a must-have. (908 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

batch 7076

appearance: a nice clear orange/dark golden pour, very bubbly upon pour, attractive white head, nice lacing

smell: quite nice...very hoppy and very fruity...mostly grapefruit, with some orange, and a little lemon, some pine

taste: outstanding. definately one of the best ipa's out there. This is a very fresh bottle and you can taste it. extremely juicy grapefruit hops, fresh lemon, fresh orange. very floral, not over the top with the hops, very smooth.

mouthfeel: bittersweet hops, juicy, thirst quenching

drinkability: the classic session beer

Oh two hearted, it has been too long. I have become so engrossed in all these other beers that I almost forgot about you! This very fresh 6 pack hit the spot (734 characters)

Poured a nice slightly hazy bronze with a thick off white head.

Smell was dominated by the green hoppyness you would expect.

Taste is very solid, has a slight caramel malt taste up front but is quickly taken over by the solid grapefruit and pine flavored hops.

Mouthfeel is creamy yet dry.

Drinkability is very good, a very good IPA from Bells. (356 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%

I had to crack open as soon as it was chilled. Thanks Dertbert. I had one of these a while ago living in Michigan, and miss it dearly.

Poured in a Pint Glass and the heavy hops hit as soon as the beer hit the glass. Smell was oranges and other fruit, citrus. The hops are nearly overwhelming, excellent for this style.

One of the top IPA's without a doubt. Cheers to my fellow hop heads and the folks in Kalamazoo. (420 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

i have been waiting awhile to try this monster. i've heard such great things about it. i am a bit dissapointed because my first look/smell/taste of this beer reminds me of so many others, and it just rides the same plane as so many other american i.p.a.'s. (three floyds, etc.) yes it is a hop monster. yes it is good, but so are so many others and they taste alot alike. so it is good, but it has some stiff competition so in the end my overall review will show it. what the hell? it's an awsome beer and you should try it and judge it yourself. cheers! (554 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

Nice honey-orange colour, with some pale haze... Head is white and looks fluffy on top, yet has some large bubbles underneath. Head holds on fairly well, but does leave some decent lace behind.

The smell is all about the hops, with ovetones of fresh orange and roses. There's a bit of spice underneath.

The flavour has hops all over it up front, with just a bit of fresh orange coming out of it, and a bit of cereal grain on the end. theres' a nice spiciness throughout.

The mouthfeel is not exciting, but is solid. Medium liquid is topped by a tight to medium carbonation that swells just past the halfway point.

I find it very drinkable but not perfect. I would not turn it down, and could easily make a session out of it. It's interesting enough to keep my attention.

Be well
-UF (798 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Trying to ween myself into more hoppy beers, let's see how it goes.

Pours a pretty goldenrod yellow with a finger of white frothy head and excellent lacing. Smell is extremely floral/herbal hops, some light tropical fruits and a faint hint of malt. Taste is more of the same, this is certainly the hoppiest beer I've ever tried, which isn't saying much, but it hit my tongue pretty hard. As it warmed it became significantly more balanced, however, with the malt bill balancing out the extreme hops. I can see why hopheads would worship this beer, it has a lot going for it, but I don't think I'm quite there yet, still glad I tried this, I will certainly revisit it when I think my palate is a little more mature.

Update: So young, so naive...This has become my hop-craving stand-by. So expertly crafted and so good at what it does and just sublime on cask. This. is. beer. (927 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for hooking me up at the DFH Bocce Tourney.
Pretty decent head and nice lacing. The beer is brownish-gold and there is sediment floating about, I guess I should have poured more carefully. There is a somewhat oxidized smell with some citrus and floral hops. Tastes like it smells but with a nice grapefruit sort of bitterness in the finish. I would really like to grab some of this fresh as even an aged example is very tasty. (450 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Probably my favorite IPA. Pale amber with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Smell of grapefruit and pine from the centennial hops, sweet malt still comes through. Tastes like grapefruit cotton candy--so sweet and fruity--not from the malt, though, which is underplayed. Mouthfeel is full with a sweet but not too lingering aftertaste. I could (and have) drink these all night. (387 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a cloudy peach with a disintegrating head. Seems like I usually get more head out of this one, but this pour was very disappointing. Will rerate if necessary. Smell hits you right after you pour before you can even get your nose in there. An earthy, floral hop character dominates with some extra sweet pineapple in the background. Not much malt in there. Taste is delicious. No attempt at balance whatsoever is made, but that's ok in my book. The only time it hurts this beer is in the finish, which ends up very grainy and not quite as smooth as it could be. Other than that, this is just a full on hop attack, and it is done very well. Never before have I had an IPA that succeeds at balancing floral and citrusy hops so well. A fresh sample of this stuff is amazingly potent in taste, always blending the two main hop flavors together well. And there's no hop bite to speak of. It's hardly bitter at all and the mouthfeel is velvety. If there's not at least one of these in my beer fridge, then I'm either drinking my last one at the moment or I'm dead.

Edit: Bumped up appearance from 3.5 to 4.5. This is a beautiful beer - the bottle I reviewed must have been too cold or not very fresh. (1,202 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

The legend...at least in the midwest. Copper amber in color with a nice yeasty haze and everlasting white head. A floral hop aroma hits the nose in waves, followed by a light citrus hop and nice toasted malt background. Flavor is a solid balance of caramel malt, toasted malt, floral hops & bitterness, and fruity yeast. Nice smooth mouthfeel, not cloying but nicely sweet and lingering. A solid IPA deserving of it’s reputation. (430 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

hazy gold with thick off white head that laces. the aroma is of sweet grapefruit and perfumy floral hops with mild caramel malts. maybe a little of a pineapple aroma too. the taste has a good dose of bitterness with mostly grapefruity, but somewhat herbal hops. balanced with some dry caramel especially when it warms. the pineapple shows up in the flavor a little too. medium bodied and a little slick in the mouth with smooth carbonation, making for a very good creamy mouthfeel. great drinkability, as it is well balanced and not overpowering in the least. overall, a very good IPA, that would be a regular in my fridge if i lived in the distribution area. i was not even going to review this tonight, but upon tasting it i was inspired to.

a big thanks to warriorsoul for giving me a couple of these yesterday, never even spoken to him before. truely a Beer Advocate among beer advocates. (895 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa. (612 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

I was expecting a strong ale, possibly a bit smokey, when I opened this bottle. Man was I wrong.

Appearance - Pours a golden amber, fading to yellow at the edges, with a thin almost pure-white head that stays as a ring all the way down.

Smell - As soon as I opened the bottle, large buds of hops leaped out of the bottle, up my nostrils and one-two punched my brain. That's how strong the hops smell is in this bottle, a wonderfully floral bouquet of hops that reminds me of home-brewing, followed by a small hint of honey and vanilla to smooth things out. I could smell this brew all day.

Taste - You'll like hops if you're drinking this beer. I generally don't care for most hops, and this one actually converted me. This beer doesn't exactly scream "HOPS!" at you quite the way an Arrogant Bastard Ale might, but the strength is the same. "Floral" is definitely the word here. Almost no malt taste up front, and a wisp of malts and something smooth at the end.

Mouthfeel - You can almost feel the leaves of the hop buds sliding across your tongue on this one. The alcohol is mildly astringent, and creates that effect with the flavor that is so dominant in this ale. It's a bit of a gassy beer, and every burp you have is going to slam your nose with hops again.

Drinkability - As great as both the flavor and aroma of this beer is, after a while it's like sticking your head in a bouquet of flowers, eventually you'll want some fresh air. Until then though, this beer is just amazing. *Many* thanks to Lrrr for opening my eyes to the world of good hops. (1,572 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two-hearted pours a light orange, slightly rusty and slightly cloudy glass. A thick white head almost an inch high with big bubbles tops it. The look of the beer is great and I could detect the aroma before I held it up to my nose... always a good sign in my book.

On the first whiff it was hops and grapefruit. Second was big grapefruit, some berry and a nice flowery sweetness. Third was a powerful hops with hints of chocolate and mint.

Taste is exceptional. Slightly bubbly in the mouth and quite nice. Citrus and hops on the palate. Extremely clean. Easily a beer I'd buy a lot of if it were available in Nebraska. Will be seeking out more in the future. (665 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Bottle on 09/14/05
A: 4.0
S: 4.0
T: 3.0
M:3.0
D: 3.0

This could have been so much better... The apperance, the smell, both great. Flavor left so much to be desired... Poured out to a nice light orange / yellow color that was slightly cloudy. Nice head that was off white and cloud-like. Strong aroma of hops and pine, with citrus odors. This far, seems very nice. Taste was bland, very boring. Quite dry notes of hops and light spice, with minimal bitterness. Some aftertaste that was almost like having soap in my mouth. Yuck. Mouthfeel was nothing special, and the overall drinkability is nothing out of the ordinary, as this brew just wasn't a great American IPA, with only traces of malt and bitterness. If the sweetness factor and malt was upped, along with more citrus zing, this would be a killer brew. But there not, so it isn't.

UPDATED REVIEW
11/05/06

A: Murky orange color with a dense head of frothy off white foam. Lots of lace. Medium to medium low carbonation.

S: Wow. Lots of citrus, pine and zesty hops. A real treat. Straightforward presentation.

T: Quite possibly the perfect AIPA. Fresh hops, citrus, and pine notes are heavy, yet not overpowering or annoying. A noteable malt backbone is present, with herbal notes toward the finish.

M: Dense, yet not thick. Feels nice on the palate, and easy going down.

D: I've come full circle. I didn't like this beer back in the day, and it is now my go-to brew for my mounting hop addiction. I have at least one bottle of this on hand in the fridge at all times, no matter what. It is my drug of choice. I love hops. Praise to Larry Bell, this is his most wonderful creation.

Notes: This is my beer. I love it. A world-class American Classic. The best example of Craft Brewing in the United States. (1,808 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light orange/golden color with a solid two finger head that sticks around for a while, with quite a bit of lacing.

Has a really nice pine, citrus, floral hop smell to it.

Taste is initially piney, followed by slightly citric hops, and finishes with a nice sweet malt that keeps the hops from overwhelming.

Really nice IPA that I wish I had more of. (366 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a thin (for an IPA), slightly cloudy, orangey amber. A huge head on this thing that just kept on growing.

S - Hoppy, with a big pine note. It's as if I opened a bottle of Pine*Sol.

T - I am enjoying thwe hops in this, but it is perhaps a bit more floral and less citrusy than other IPAs I have enjoyed.

M - Very thin, I understand this isn't an Imperial, but it too thin for an IPA. Something leads me to beileve they watered this down a bit.

D - It goes down well, keeps clean and has a considerably low ABV. A very easy drinker.

This is a good IPA, but not a great IPA. Perhaps I was expecting a bit more from this, but it seems that Bell's weakened it up to get it selling a bit better. I liked it, but I don't think I'll be getting it again. (770 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with 4 color logo of an illustration of a fish with a red and white border. "two hearted ale" in a red cheesy cooper-like font with white shrink and swell. an explanation of their ipa is printed on the back. no abv or freshness date displayed. there is the number 6957 printed in a white box on the bottom of the label- maybe a batch code?

appearance: pours a super hazy dark caramel and orange with yellow-orange highlights in a tulip glass. nice two finger fluffy white head with a slight yellow cast. i mean, this beer is crazy cloudy with the top being much darker than the bottom. small trails are dropping through the beer to the bottom of the glass that looks like the last seconds of a firework. i don't know how else to describe it. a little odd.

smell: lotsa citrusy hops. lemons and grapefruits and a nice pineapple aroma. a light piney aroma as well. some alcohol in the late nose.

taste: first sip is citrus with an almost electric hop bitterness. lots of grapefruit and lemons. piney hop burps. there's a yeasty bready flavor at the end of the sip. there's very little malt flavors but maybe a little caramel as the brew warms. not very balanced at all. this is an ipa, though. finishes a little dry with a bitter aftertaste.

mouthfeel: smooth light medium body but crisp. nice carbonation and a very good swallow.

drinkability: one of those beers where i'm almost done drinking before i can rate the drinkability. therefore, dangerously drinkable! very tasty and smells dreamy. the aftertaste also keeps you yearning for another sip...or another bottle.

overall: very nice ipa. i hate when the only thing that really hurts a beer is it's appearance. the aroma makes up for it however. highly recommended. (1,766 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

I'm just enjoying IPAs more and more these days. Two Hearted Ale is another fine example of Bell's offerings. Rich and complex, with enough alcohol strength that this cannot be session beer. Great foam head and carbonation, nice hop character. Not my favorite IPA, but will definitely purchase this one if I'm back in the Midwest. (330 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Friend brought this back from Wisconsin for me, first Bells offering i've tried.

Pours hazy light orange with a very fluffy, rocky head which never completely goes away and clumps down the glass. Smells of piny, floral, citrusy hops with a very slight funkiness to it. I like it. First up there's very soft bready malt then an incredibly full, round, lush(but not at all aggressive) orangy pine hop flavor takes over my mouth. Bready malts and a nice medium creamy mouthfeel support it throughout. An interplay of spicy hops and pale toasted malts linger on in the finish. This is really terrific. Such a round, full, yet subtle flavor. Drinkable to the end. Best IPA i've had yet; what it lacks in aggression is made up with its cunning subtlety. Sadly I only have one more bottle. (785 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Two Hearted Ale has fine balance all the way through. In the aroma, the Centennial hops and sweet malt intertwine great. The bitterness is kept in check with a good malt back bone. It poured a hazy yellow-orange and a small off white head. The medium body makes this beer a staple beer in most households. (305 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a hazy golden color with a large off-white head. Piney hop aroma. Juicy hop flavor. The hops are very strong and give this beer flavors of grapefruit, pine, and flowers. The finish is very spicy and bitter. Malt flavor comes through a bit, but is really dominated by the hops. Any hop fan will love this beer. (346 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Every bit as good as everybody says it is, if not better! I'm a hophead, and this rocks!

Pale amber with a haze from slight amount of sediment I allowed to pour, not all of it or I wouldn't have been able to see through at all! Large frothy head filles the remainder of my pint glass then slowly dies to a creamy fil that sticks around and laces like none other. Lace is still there on the glass when I washed it about 14 hours later. Smell is hugely herbal and floral, reminfs me of my mother's gardens.

WOW, this tastes like I am drinking the air from a dead-cedar bog somewhere in the vicinity of Seney. Anybody know about "The Seney Stretch?" Open the windows next time you drive this 45 mile long dead-straight and flat peice of road, and you'll know the smell I mean! Herbal, floral, and a little piney, the hops overlay a slightly caramel and toasted malt. Leaves an aftertaste of herbal crisp hoppiness.

Moderate body definitely lets you know it's there without being too thick. Carbonation is light and dances on the tongue.

Spectacular brew! Makes me happy to live in Michigan! (1,099 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer has a resident spot in my beer fridge as well being a top pick while being bellied-up at the pub. I can't believe it's taken me this long to formally rate it.

Clear (if you don't swirl & pour in the sediment) golden amber color with a sticky booming light beige head. Globular lacing for days.

Resinous fresh hops and pineapple galore. Let's break it down; pine sap dipped in powdered sugar, dripping citrus twang and steaming sourdough bread scents.

Flavors are beyond fresh citrus, apricot, peaches & pineapple all entwined in a floral hop bouquet to die for. The malt backdrop is graceful and rounded - no sharp edges here.

Mouthfeel is prickly velvet. Nice bite served on a plush velour medium-full body. Fine carbonation at a moderate level. The finish is dry, sweet and goes on for days.

The drinkability? Are you kidding me? Definitely a beer to have "If I were stranded on a desert island".

This IPA is perfect. The most citrusy and well-placed malt profile I've ever had the pleasure to experience in an IPA. The hops are oily, fresh and uplifting - not at all husky or raw. Very smooth and graceful, but can throw the gloves off if needed. A soon-to-be Michigan legend. I vote this to be our state beer. A must try. (1,253 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.