Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,677 | Reviews: 3,423
4.27/5  rDev 0%

This is one good IPA. Rivals the Stone IPA.
Love the fish on the bottle!LOL
It pours out with average carbonation, mabey 1/2 finger and dissapates slowly. The smell is hoppy and nutty but the floral hops didn't hit me like I was expecting.
There is a spicy hoppy taste that leaves a clove and burnt coffee flavor with a lemony aftertaste.
Very nice drinkability and the slight carbonation and clean feel in the mouth make one want to drink a few of these bad boys.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional IPA. The balance between hop bitterness and sweet malt body is absolutely perfect. Have also had this ale on tap at their brew pub, and it was equally good.

I was surprised to pay $2/case more at the company store than at Russo's, an aggressive beer/wine retailer in Grand Rapids. I wish Bell's would be more helpful on their label and web site about the type of hops, and the IBUs.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

If I drink this beer cold, straight out of the fridge, I enjoy it a lot more.

A: The beer pours a really nice cloudy orange. It has some really nice lacing and the thick head dies after an average lifespan.

S: When the beer is cold enough I can pick up on big citrus notes and even some banana. And, as the back label said, there is a really big floral hop aroma, I mean huge. It still very pleasent.

T: It is very spicy and oily. I can also taste some pair towards the end of a sip. The only other AIPA was really bitter throughout an entire drink. It was too much for me. This one finishes with a taste that is really dry hopppy, and bitter. It is almost like hard liquor. When the beer is really cold, this finishing taste is more of a background taste, not only tolerable, but good. When the beer warms up, it is too upfront and just too much for me.

M: It is smooth and a little thick, very nice.

D: If cold, the beer is an excellent session beer, but if warm, the spicy bittnerness will lower the drinkability.

3.26/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours from the funky fish bottle to a hazy golden-orange, with off-white head and excellent lacing. Aroma is strongly hoppy, mostly floral and grass, with a hint of citrus. Flavor is much the same, with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Beer ends with a dry finish. All and all, a very enjoyable IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. grabbed a few when I was home visiting.

Appearance: It had a lot of foam and left and nice lace on the sides of the glass. light peach colored and sorta cloudy when poured from the bottle.

Smell: Very floral with some citrus hinted there. Had a very hoppy smell to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Had an average body with a creaminess to it. You can taste the hops in there for sure. I'm not sure of what it tasted like but it had a weird aftertaste to me. Not bad just weird. Dry bitter finish.

In my small town in northern lower MI I had few choices. A lot of Bells, which was nice cause I heard a lot about them. This one was one of the easier to drink beers when I was there. And found myself buying more of these then the other ones.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

Much thanks to Raider for this one.

Appearance
Orange-amber, with almost hidden hints of green in colour. Thin white head formed during the pour, and faded away during inspection. Scant lacings remained. Slight cloudiness was increased due to condensation on the glass.

Aroma
Sweet floral citrus and honey notes, accentuated with pine.
Reminescent of orange marmalade, fresh flowers, and the boreal forest. Impressive.

Taste
Not as hoppy as other IPAs tasted. Initial clean malt flavours of sweet buttery toffee shifted to the more bitter piney notes from the hops. Almost too well balanced(?) for an IPA. Hoppiness quickly tamed by the sweetness of the malt, and other more aggressive (hoppy) versions of the style leave me wanting more. The finish returns to where it all started, back to the sweetness of the malt, only slightly dimished by the hops.

Drinkability
Almost syrupy in substance, as i was emptying my glass i felt like a kid drinking soda pop. The fine carbonation, along with the sweet and syrupy malts contributing to this near flashback. The hops almost manage to cut through the malts, but dont quite succeed. Would be difficult to drink more than two in one sitting because of its cloying mouthfeel.

Overall
As stated earlier the balance favours the malts too much for my liking and personal interpretation of this style. The promises of the aroma were not realized upon drinking this beer. This would be an excellent IPA to try while working on one's tolerance for bolder and hoppier beers, of which there are plenty. Definately worth a try, i was impressed by its aroma, and it may suit your fancy more than mine. Really makes me want their double IPA though, can see how it may more fully realize my ideal, only needing more ETOH and hops to round out the malt.

Photo of
4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz. bottle. Poured a slightly cloudy, orange gold color. Moderate head. Aroma was primarily grapefruit, with an undertone of honey. Taste was almost all hops, with a mixed citrus (oranges and grapefruit flavor). Malt was in a supporting role, and didn't add a whole lot to the flavor, IMO. Medium body, with moderate to high carbonation, drying in the mouth leaving you wanting more. An excellent beer, and as I sit here and look at my glass, I wish I had bought more than 2.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle courtesy of Daalamar: Poured a light orangey color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention. Aroma of floral hops is quiet enticing with a great semi-sweet malt base. Taste of crisp and citrus hops are well mixed with a nice solid sweet malt based. Carbonation is lively and body is about average. Overall a really good example and enjoyable take on the style thought a bit overrated in my opinion.

2.46/5  rDev -42.4%

Henceforth I'm going to call this beer Fishbine. Not because it tastes like fish but because even the fish on the label ain't biii-ne into the hype of the Two Hearted Ale by Bell's. Bell's makes great beer but they also make craft beers and in doing so there are always extremes. Much more brusk than the aftertaste of Oberon, this beer has a citrus bite that rivals the pungent meat of the rind. It literally is rind beer. I know that it is lauded as a summertime delicacy but it is more like drinking the broth of a lemorange peel that sat out in the sun too long and then was chilled. No goodness here.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

On cask at Wonder's Pub. I first had this on tap at the Arbor Brewing Company in Ann Arbor and was blown away by the hops and the depth of flavor. The tap carbonation definitely made for a more assertive ale, which I nonetheless enjoyed immensely. That said, I enjoy this on cask a lot more.

Appearance: Amber with copper hints. 1/2 inch head lingers for several minutes. Medium visibility, with medium/low viscosity. Thick stick lacing on the sides of glass.

Aroma: Grapefruit, heavy honey and orange notes. Refreshing and balanced.

Taste: Despite the hops, this is well balanced. Nice bold grapefruit and anise up front, with a caramel malt and sweet citrus back palate. Yeasty finish, with gradually developing bitter aftertaste that nonehtless remains refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Cask conditioning definitely helps bring out the flavors and renders a smooth mouthfeel. Allows room for both mellow malts and floral hops.

Drinkability: Truly sessionable despite bold flavor. The body isn't too heavy and showcases the hops without making the bitterness oppressive.

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a medium ambe with a fluffy 2 finger head, nice longevity and lace. Nice aromas of hops mixed with a fair amount of orange. Malt aromas are present but quickly fade due to the hop aromas. Something seems off in the flavor. I think it is too unbalanced. Yes, it is supposed to heavy on the hop side but its kind of harsh. I think it just needs a bigger malt presence. The hop amounts are fine, as is their flavor, its just a weak malt presence. It is still a good and quality made beer just unbalanced IMHO. If the malts were a bit more dominate, it would make an excellent brew.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Batch 7463 on the label - Pours a hazy orange shade with some suspended yeast particles and an epic white head that sticks around forever. Nose is ...oh man ... hops are superbly aggressive here. Citrus, piney, and ever so slightly sweet. Can they bottle this aroma and sell it in a spray like Febreze? One of the best smelling beers I've enjoyed in a long while. Palate is a hop paradise ... pine and citrus combine with an incredible sweetness and texture that almost brings a tear to the eye. This may well be the best balanced AIPA I've ever had ... could the hop/malt ratio be better? Doubt it. Mouthfeel is soft, thick, and luxurious. Medium bodied. Lingering sweetness and absolutely amazing hop tastes linger in the mouth long after each sip. Where do I begin with one ... you simply must have Bell's Two Hearted. I don't know why it's called Two Hearted and I don't know why there is a fish on the label, but I do know it's the best AIPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming ... and one of the overall best beers made in the USA. More than recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a fluffy almost-white head. The head sticks to the side like glue. Very nice
Smell is fantastically hoppy. Spicy, citrusy hops with a nice subtly-sweet background.
Taste is mellower than expected and suprisingly well balanced. I'm drinking this after a DFH 90 minute, and this is so much better balanced. And smooth. The mouthfeel is moderate, but the smooth carbonation offers a bit of creamyness. This is a damn fine beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bright clear orange-amber with thick, light tan head. Good head retention and lacing. Very good lacing.

Heavy floral hop aroma with light malt in the background. Not overwhelming hoppiness, though. Another beer that I could smell all day long and not get tired of.

Crisp bitterness. Highly hopped but with a nice malt balance. Top notch, both for the style and on its own.

Well balanced mouthfeel. Crisp and dry at the start with mellow finish.

Perhaps the most drinkable IPA I've had this year. I love drinking this beer.

Believe the hype. By far the best Bell's product I've had and an excellent IPA. Period. Worthy of my Beer HoF.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance- Cloudy orange with a nice thick head that clings nicely.

Smell- Lots of floral and citrus hops. Nice malt backbone that promises a balanced brew.

Taste- Again, floral and citrus hops. Pine in the background with slick hop oilyness.

Mouthfeel- Slick and creamy with a crisp finish.

Drinkability- Easy to quaff; great summer day beer

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours a cloudy golden color, nice carbonation, nice small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of hops, citrus, and slight spices.

T - The taste is sweet hoppy, with a nice sweet dry finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Very drinkable. My first Bell's brew and it is very delicious. An outstanding IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Hazy pale golden amber maybe a little light for the style, with a foamy white head. Smells of sweet pine and citrus. Taste is similar to smell with overwhelming hops dominating the flavor which is ok in my book. Mouthfeel is light with not much carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to thefatkid13 for the trade. Pours a bright golden-orange hue topped by an inch of pretty, creamy white head that gradually subsides to a thin film. Smell of sharp, floral hops, with some pine and grapefruit. A touch of light sweet malt and a little bit of ale yeast balance out the appealing aroma.
Palate is a pleasing blend of light, slightly sweet malt and assertive, floral hops. Notes of light citrus, grass, and a fleeting hint of smoke are detectable. Body is just a little thin for the style, but more or less fine. A very drinkable IPA, one that could hold its own here on the over-hopped west coast.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this on tap the other night, and MAN was I surprised!
Came to me in a pint glass- thick frothy head aching to escape over the top of my glass. The pale golden amber liquid within quickly subsided and gave way to some fantastic lacing.
Smells incredibly hoppy and fruity. Some citrus aromas as well.
Delicious and malty, the hops creep up and add a significant amount of bitterness to this brew, without disturbing the balance. I could even detect some fruit flavoring...peaches and grapefruit.
This is one delightful IPA, I'll be looking for this again when I want a smooth, flavorful beer with a dry finish that is not overpowering.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow, just wow.

Pours a hazy dirty orange straw with tantalizing lacing and a smooth, bountiful head that dissipates suitably quickly.

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. An orange-y, almost passion fruit sweetness hits the nose... not sickly sweet and overpowering, but pleasantly enticing.

The taste is something of a shock. The bitterness hits up front and rides a wave out as hits of orange and lemon with just a hint of malt... the hops seem citrusy with just a hint of flower in the nose. It finishes clean and dry, with a touch of sweetness that's canceled out. It's remarkably refreshing, and easy drinking.

No west coast hop bomb here, the body is light, and while there's some crisp carbonation the mouth is mainly smooth as silk.

I could, and feel the desire to, drink this all night long. There's not much more to an IPA I would want than this. Stone IPA has always been my stand-out favorite, even with such luminary brews as HopDevil and 60 Min. readily available... it's got competition now.

A pantheon level brew.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer is beautifully crafted to be one of the most tasty easy drinking IPAs I have had to date. Thanks to 'YBSober' for this beer.

Appearance: Pours a magnificent orange peach color with a huge head that lasts and lasts. Then heavy sheets of lacing decorate the glass.

Smell: Tons of fresh orange rinds. I cracked open the bottle and even before I poured the beer my wife asked (from across the room) "Is that an orange beer?" It is that bold in the initial orange citrus aroma. It settles to a perfect level of citric orange rind and sweet toasted malt.

Taste: If you have ever juiced your own oranges in a juicer you can peel off the top orange layer and leave the white rinds on the orange that you juice. It makes a more bold tart tasty fresh orange juice. This beer reminded me of that juice I used to make. My juicer is still in the attic from when we moved. I think it will stay there and I will get more of this Two Hearted Ale. Wow!

Mouthfeel: So remarkably smooth. A bit juicy with just a bit of a hop nibble keeping the medium/light body interesting.

Drinkability: Now that I have met this beer, buy stock in Bell's Brewery because I am on a quest for cases. I could drink this all day everyday. It really hits the spot and is remarkably easy to drink!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Damn the three-tiered distribution system! Years spent on the East Coast comparing West Coast v. East Coast IPAs can leave one oblivious to the delicious IPA offerings of the Midwest. While not as over-the-top as Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, Bell's Two Hearted Ale may just represent the perfectly balanced IPA.
Pours a lovely, light copper-orange with a substantial and unyielding head.
The aroma offers the first hints of conversion. Sublime intimations of citrus, from sweet orange to grapefruit to kaffir lime. A succulent, fruit sweetness lurks beneath the citrus. A hint of pininess, but not too much. All of this underscored by a delicate floral quality. Beautifully balanced.
The palate is more of the same. Good carbonation. Pleasant, floral, citrusy bitterness all the way through. Although the malt takes a backseat here, the beer has a very pleasant pale maltiness. A slightly bitter, floral finish.
The overall effect is borderline narcotic. This is the perfect midwestern IPA. An excellent choice for anytime and/or occasion.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

My mom and step dad had to go on a business trip to Michigan and asked me to house sit. I jokingly said "Sure, but you have to bring me back some local beer." To my suprise, when they arived back in town they had a 6 pack of this and a 6 pack of Lake Superior Special Ale... Go mom!

This one pours a clear golden orange. A small white head gives off some decent lacing.
Smells citrussy orange and a bit hoppy.
Tastes of good toasted malt and citrussy orange hops. I like the orange flavor so much more than some of the IPA's with a strong grapefruit taste. Good flavor.
This one is a good, malty, medium bodied brew. A nice ammount of carbonation. Bitterness on the back of the tounge. The flavor dristributes well throughout the palate.
This is a good drinkable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz. bottle with a label with a close up picture of a trout or some other trout like looking fish swimming up stream. The label looks like something that should have or was appeared on the cover of the fishing magazine Field and Stream. The back label has some information about the beer on the top, the Govt. warning in the middle, and a bin number at the bottom. Mine being 7252. I've had this beer a while in my possession and I finally get to drink it. It's a good thing that the beer itself is nothing like the label!

Appearance: When poured into a mug, the beer was a nice IPA color of copper/orange with a nice 1 inch head of white sticky foam. It had good retention leaving behind very a small amount of white rings and just a little sticky white lace around the mug.

Smell: They said on the back of the bottle was that it had "an incredibly floral hop aroma." Where I ask? It doesn't matter, but what I got instead was a nice aroma of piny hops, just a hint of citrus fruits, and a something else in the background that I just put my finger on. I know it's not the floral hops.

Taste: The best way I can describe the taste is that every flavor doesn't come separately, it came to me in one big flavor. What was in this jumble was the flavors of piny hops, citrus fruits, a trace of juicy fruits, and even some toasted malt was in here. Great Taste! Never had an IPA where all the flavors came to me all at once.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, carbonated, very crisp, and with a nice piny hops aftertaste.

Drinkability: Although I only got a single of this, I wish I have gotten a six pack of this. An excellent beer that I'm glad I tried and will try again! A must IPA beer!

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.