2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Ratings: 8,717 | Reviews: 2,963 | Show All Ratings:
carln26

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

This poured from a bottle to a chalice a slightly hazy copper color with a decent cream colored head and a fair bit of lace down the side of the glass. The nose has some hop flower up front, with pine hints, perhaps some grass and light citrus. The flavor has sharp citrus, grapefruit with a remarkable hop bitterness. Malt sweetness comes later with just a hint of caramel. Less of the velvety mouth feel I’ve come to love with Bell's, very drinkable.

12-30-2004 15:22:10 | More by carln26
mntlover

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a cloudy golden with a nice fluffy off white head, some nice lacing. Smell hops as soon as I pop the cap floral and herbal mixture of hops, slightly different then the citrus and pine of most IPA's, with some biscuit malt in the background. Taste is hops herbal spicy mixture nice flavors mingle with biscuity malt, almost taste like some pepper present nice light clean tasting little IPA, lightly bitter after taste but no real pine resin at all. Mouthfeel is a little light but makes this brew go down that much quicker. Drinkability is good a different likeable IPA would be wonderful in the summer for a great sessions brew

12-20-2004 18:53:51 | More by mntlover
santoslhalper

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearence: Pours a hazy copper color, with nice, quick-moving carbonation and a near-white head. The head stays almost the whole way - and leaves decent lacing.

Smell: Smells of bitter, floral hops mixed with an herbal almost fruity spicyness. A great smelling beer, full of hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A smooth, bitter hop flavor mixes with a bit of a "watered down" malt flavor. The malts are too weak, but the hops are dead on. Spicy, floral, herbal, piney, the works. They all taste great and mix well. The mouthy feel is fizzy and fun.

Drinkability and Overall: I'm glad I picked up a 6'er of this stuff. Could kill it tonight without a problem. This is very hoppy beer, that takes a hop-head too truly enjoy and appreciate. A great beer worth trying.

12-18-2004 02:39:57 | More by santoslhalper
brewQ

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Batch 6351

Chunky white biscuit foam over a clear golden orange body- lovely.
A delicate, complex mix of floral scents with some hint of spiciness in the background.

The flavor is sublime- a marriage of hops with a baseline of malt. Why don't I drink more IPAs? If this is available I will in the future.

The finish is almost abrupt but it is quite drinkable for the style.

Bonus- I called the brewery to ask about date codes. They do not date code just using sequential batch numbers. Anyway, John there was very good to talk to. This is what I like about craft brewers.

12-17-2004 05:31:10 | More by brewQ
necoadam

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured out a orange color, with a shade of some peach in there as well. A nice head that settled down with time.

Smell consisted a lot of herbal hops with an underlying of sweet malts to give a good balance. Some fruit can also be detected. Grapefruit and peaches are the big fruit aromas in this one.

Taste was good as well. A good amount of hops in this one, with a nice underlying malt to really balance this IPA out. You can tell that there's some piney hops, juicy and citrusy hops. But one doesn't override the other, which is very nice to see.

Mouthfeel had a creamy body to it. Mediumish body. Finished on the bitter side, but in a good way.

Truly a great IPA. I'm not a hop-head, but it's these types of IPA's that make me crave for some IPA's.

Many, many thanks to Feloniousmonk for this bottle!

12-13-2004 15:54:05 | More by necoadam
fdrich29

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Feloniousmonk, you truly are your brother's keeper. Many thanks for this brew.

Huge white, frothy head.

Hops smell crisp and fresh, like you're smelling them on the vine.

Taste threw me for a loop...but a good one. Tasted like vanilla and hops. Very sweet and incredibly tasty.

This beer was a pleasant surprise. I can't compare it to anything else. Possibly worth moving to Michigan to have access to. Try it if you can.

12-08-2004 22:52:16 | More by fdrich29
mentor

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Goodness gracious! From a bottle, this is a fantastic beer. Fresh and on tap, this is truly incredible. Got to the brewery at last call in the middle of an 8 hour trip home for Thanksgiving, 2004.

A tiny head, poured by the friendly bartender made me wonder if there was a problem with their tap lines. It has a nice citrusy smell, but that is not the only smell. Some carmel and malt sweet comes with it.

Absolutely astounding to taste. Mouthfeel is medium with middle-of-the-road carbonation. The sting of tiny bubbles jumping off my tongue was a nice play with the hop bitter. While many IPAs hit with bitter and finish with a citrus and faint malt, this beer is incredibly well blended. As the hop bitter strikes, it is accompanied by grapefruit and smooth enticing barley sweet. I taste lighter fruits in the background. Apricot? Certainly some pear. As a homebrewer, I know the difference between fresh and aged beers. This beer was fresh and delicious. A+. I'll be stopping in every trip home for another. If you are anywhere near Bell's brewery, you have *got* to stop in for pint (or three).

12-08-2004 05:10:11 | More by mentor
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer pours a hazy orange color with 3 fingers of head that don't seem to want to fall. The nose is a nice grapefruit with a bit of caramel sweetness to balance the hops. Smells really good to me. The flavor is actually a bit peppery and citriusy. I think the peppery is from the hop as well as is the citrus. The malt is in there, but the hop dominates so that the caramel just seems to fade into the back. Damn I do like this beer. One of the better IPA's I've had in a while. The feel is just a shade below moderate, a touch thin for my liking, but its not thin. Overall this beer is easy drinking and much better than I remember from when I was not a seasoned beer drinker. Damn I like it.

12-05-2004 23:03:34 | More by kmpitz2
rlcoffey

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Served on tap. Orange/copper color with a half finger of head. Hard head, it laced the glass as it went down. The smell is wonderful. All centenial hops wafting a wonderful aroma. I struggle with aromas, but this is just wonderful. The taste is immediately hoppy bitter, with just a touch of citrus, blending to a smooth finish. The citrus bite hangs around with a wonderful flavor. The malt/hop balance is perfect, while obviously leaning towards the hops. The only possible weakness may be a little hop film left on the mouth. The mouthfeel isnt quite up to the rest of the beer. Very drinkable, I can never have just one.

This may be the perfect beer. Okay, maybe not, but it may be the perfect AIPA.

11-27-2004 05:59:09 | More by rlcoffey
AlexJ

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Burnt amber pour with a mountanous peak of light beige head that retains like a champ and leaves cluttered clumps of lace.

Aroma is toffee malts, wildflower honey, and intense floral and citrus hops. Smell like I'm walking through a garden here! Sweet hop perfume, mmm.

Flavor is soft, caramel and scorched creme brule malt notes with a vigorous floral and citrus hop profile. Very well balanced, very hoppy, and oh so drinkable.

Body is between medium and large with a juicey, slick mouthfeel and soft, creamy texture. Very good all the way around!

11-26-2004 15:58:33 | More by AlexJ
silenius

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours an amber haze with a massive creamy thick-n-rocky head that laces the bejeezus out of the glass. Particulate suspension is either yeast or some kind of chill haze.

Smell is classic Fruit Brute cereal. It is amazing that I remember that smell all these years after it was discontinuted. Damn you General Mills! In addition to the Fruit Brute, I get pine and orange peel and maybe a little Cointreau liquer. Nice.

Taste is a a light concoction of sweet malt and bitter hops. Nothing overpowering here but a decent balance. Perhaps the hop bitterness wins out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Wonderfully light mouthfeel that makes it feel like whipped cream

These don't last long in my fridge!

11-09-2004 03:48:40 | More by silenius
orbitalr0x

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out of the fishy bottle a nice golden amber with a fluffly head. The color is vibrant with a bit of haze as well. The smell is upfront with a bouqet of light floral hops mingling with lemon and grapefruit tones. A treat for my nose.

First sip is a tidal wave of wonderful hoppiness. The citrus/floral mix rushes over my palate and intertwines with a nice caramel malt background. Biterness is good and this is just a tasty IPA all around. Quite unique.

Mouthfeel is a good...nice and creamy body with plenty of carbonation..maybe even a little too much. Drinkability is very good here as well. An easy drinking IPA that would be great for session. Hoppy burps are good :-). If you love hops and you've yet to try this one....what are you waiting for??

11-09-2004 02:39:29 | More by orbitalr0x
Beaver13

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

The Two Hearted poured a hazy golden color. It had a thick fluffy white head that had great retention and lacing.

The aroma was grapefruity, apricoty, piney hops. A little on the subdued side, but nice.

The flavor was grapefruity malts with a hoppy, bitter finish that dominated more as it sat and warmed. Just the right balance of hops, fruitiness and malts. It had a smooth and velvety mouthfeel.

Overall, an excellent IPA. A little more subdued than I expected, but very drinkable.

11-02-2004 03:50:05 | More by Beaver13
longarm

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a somewhat cloudy and dingy yellow with great lacing and carbonation.

The aroma is top notch and what hop lovers crave. Lots of citrus, leaning more towards tangerine and orange doses rather than grapefruit.

Hops seems to dominate the flavor, but doesn't detract. Light malt flavors give it a touch of sweetness but this doesn't overbear either, since some hop bitterness keeps it in check. Two words...terrifically balanced.

The body is relatively thin given the amount of flavor. Citrus flavors oddly seem to give it a little more body (is that possible???). Maybe it's the tangy aftertaste. I haven't heard of mouthfeel changing from hop flavors, but it seems to be having an effect on body and finish.

Confession that this is one of my favorite beers at the moment. It's very easy to drink and a standby when I get a craving for hops.

10-22-2004 15:56:28 | More by longarm
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

This 12 oz brown bottle arrived on my doorstep via BIF XV. There is no freshness date to be found. A very artful fish (trout?) is on the label. Apparently, the beer is named after a river in Michigan, which was in a short story by Hemmingway—he’s referenced on the upper label, but I thought he was a liquor man? The label on their website has two fish, so I’m not sure if what I have is old or new.

I decided to try this beer as I sat down to watch game 7 of the ALCS. Like the crowd of navy hats in the Bronx stands, the off-white head was densely packed. It very quickly dissipated to a patchy lace. It was difficult to tease a head from subsequent pours, but that might have been because of my glass instead of the beer. Rings of carbonation lined the brew and a thin lacing traced down the glass. The body of the beer is a hazy golden color. I might be crazy, but I thought I saw a few errant chunks of yeast swirling around in my last pour from the bottle.

Giant floral and citric hop aroma.

First of all, I drank at least half the pint before paying any attention. Was it the crisp, clean, IPA goodness, or was it the excitement of the Sox defeating the Evil Empire? The hops bum rush your taste buds and quickly leave a sharp citrus acidity. Once you slow down, and allow it to smother your taste buds before swallowing, you really enjoy the moderate body of the brew. Although predominantly green hops in flavor, there is a mild bready maltiness in the flavor that is evident in the middle. Substantial, diaphragm-shaking hop belches on the back end.

This is an excellent IPA and it is clear why it is a favorite of the hopheads out there. It is now my third Bells beer and I haven’t been disappointed with any. It actually caused me to go on their website to see where they are found. Now that I know they are available in PA, my work trips there next month will have new meaning. This is a devilishly good session beer, of which I need more…

10-21-2004 18:05:22 | More by Dithyramb
Brian700

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer pours a nice pale color and has about a quarter inch head that slowly fades into a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing this time but I remember it lacing more when I had it on tap.
The smell, Wow. As soon as you pop the top on this beer you are hit by a tremendous hop smell. Smells like Northern Brewers hops if my nose serves me correct. Probably a Northern/Cascade mix. I don't know for sure but thats what it smells like.
The taste definately follows the nose. It drastically goes from sweet to bitter. The bitter plays its part as soon as it gets to the back of the tounge. You can pick up on the oilyness probably because this is such a heavily hopped beer.
Just above average mouthfeel. Good carbonation and its flavor coats your mouth and lingers quite a bit.
Its a pretty powerful beer so I usually don't try to drink to many of them in a sitting without changing it up. It's definately a treat of a beer none the less. A good beer from a good Brewing Co. Very popular in my neck of the woods.

10-07-2004 05:02:17 | More by Brian700
GuinnessSmurf

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Golden yellow color in the glass with a nice big ol' layer of medium bubbles on top. Hops smell takes over the immediate area as soon as its poured. The flavor is a real hop mix. It starts off with a bit of mild/sweet hops and malts then quickly turns to a sharp bitter in the same taste. I'd guess that is why its a Two Hearted Ale. It sweet-talks you, then stabs you with hops.

10-04-2004 03:43:41 | More by GuinnessSmurf
brewnut11

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I love IPA and have heard a good deal about this brew. It appeared lighter in color than I imagined, but a nice hazy dull organge color. I've had IPA's that have much more aroma than 2 Hearted Ale. I was a little disappointed with the aroma. There is aroma but my expectations were much higher. (I'm a hop head) After being a little disappointed with the aroma, the taste made up for my disappointment. A very good hop bitterness, more than most IPA's. The hop bitterness jumps out at you, making this a hop lovers delight. It tastes a little thicker (more mouthfeel) than alot of the other IPA's. A good class beer, have two before you drink something of lesser value.

09-30-2004 23:57:47 | More by brewnut11
rdrummer

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

I waited a long time to get my hands on a bottle so I'm trying to be fair. The beer probably could never live up to my expectations. It was a good example of an American IPA but I did not find it to be as exceptional as I hoped. It poured a light amber color with a huge head that ebbed quickly. There was almost no lacing. The aroma was hoppy, but not like I expected it to be. It was highly carbonated with hints of malty sweetness and some fruitness.

The taste was more hoppy than the aroma. It had a nice bitter appeal with balance added by a sweet maltiness and some citrus undertones. The beer was medium bodied, bubbly in the mouth. I had no real desire to have a second one, which is rare for most beers that I drink, and extremely rare for an IPA.

cotton candy, orange, peach, and light hops to it.

The flavor is roasty and malty. Some sweetness but very little hoppy bitterness. The floral accents and tanginess of the hops come through beautifully, but this is not an over-hopped beer that kicks you in the mouth with bitterness. Very subtle and sweet.

09-29-2004 22:37:46 | More by rdrummer
meathookjones

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After a bad experience with their Cherry Stout I had to try something else a little more redeeming. This poured out a slightly murky golden orange with a tall white rocky head. As the head shrank into the body scattered lacing was left to coat the glass. Very hoppy aroma with citric and floral hops coming out in abundance. There was a slight hint of malt to it at times. Taste was very similar very hoppy all the way through this one with citric and earthy flavors coming together for a great taste. A bitter hoppy aftertaste is how this ended. Mouthfeel was creamy with about a medium body. I could drink this all day, great flavor and aroma too bad I only picked up 2 bottles. Highly recommend to all hop heads and anyone that likes a good brew.

09-28-2004 16:05:21 | More by meathookjones
ncbrewerbun

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the lowest I've graded a Two-hearted IPA. It's been one of my top 5 beers for the last many years.

The beer poured a very clear straw-to-golden color. Watch out as you pour, though, it's bottle conditioned. Inhale deeply over the glass and you get the clean hop grapefruity aroma wafting up.

I remember more hop flavor in previous samples of this beer. So, the hop intensity isn't there in this sample,but it's nicely balanced. I hope Bells didn't mess with the recipe when they changed the label on the beer.

09-21-2004 03:08:12 | More by ncbrewerbun
rugger

Arkansas

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

09-17-2004 20:52:30 | More by rugger
Gavage

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Finally I was able to find this brew and boy am I glad I did. The brew pours a slightly hazy orange color with a thick 2+" head. Nice lacing develops through the drink. Carbonation levels seemed just right. The aroma was huge as floral hops, malt, and orange zest leaped out of the glass. The flavor followed the nose, as the thick sweet malt was perfectly balanced with floral bitterness and oranges.

The mouthfeel was mildly crisp at the start and finished with a smooth bitter citrus tone that lasted shortly on the tongue. Medium in body. This is a beer that could be quaffed all day long. Super brew.

09-16-2004 23:50:03 | More by Gavage
RedBaron

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Been a while since I had one of these. Too long!

Appearance: apricot/peach-like color; good head; fairly cloudy.
Smell: Great aromatic hop sensation! Loads of 'em. Sort of pine-y.
Taste: Hoppy, citrusy start..hoppy, drier finish. Nice maltiness, too, mainly noticed in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Much better than average, though I was expecting, perhaps, a bit more body than this. Maybe it's just been so long since I've had one of these.
Drinkability: Very high. Damn fine IPA from our friends at Bells. Just a hop-heads delight!

09-01-2004 01:09:41 | More by RedBaron
BrewMaster

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date. The number "6450" is stamped on the back labbel in a white box. I assume this is the batch number, but this is only a guess.

The beer pours with a thin lacy head over cloudy orange color. The beer shows light carbonation through the glass. The aroma has cotton candy, orange, peach, and light hops to it.

08-30-2004 20:13:38 | More by BrewMaster
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.