Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Looks great, perfect golden honey brown. In fact, looks purer than honey.

S - Great smell! When first opened reminded me of an old breakfast cereal, can't put my finger on which one. Almost smells like a Froot Loops or Apple Jacks. Definitely traditional piney scents, with great citrus notes. You almost wish Pinesol w/ Lemon, smelled like Two Hearted.

T - Great, crisp taste. With a perfect bite, like stepping on perfectly crunchy leaves right at the break of fall. If, like me, IPAs aren't your favorite, try to hold it in your mouth and tip your head back a little forcing it to hit the back part of your tongue. You should get less pine, and much more citrus. And if you really like the pine taste, this trick might help you appreciate almost an entirely different beer.

M - Feels fine. Take smaller sips, savor it, enjoy it, embrace it. Take note of where it hits you on your hard palate (roof of your mouth) and where it naturally lands on your tongue. Not too much carbonation, which results in an overall pleasant feel, (I prefer more carbonation though).

D - Definitely one of the better drinkable IPAs. And coming from someone who's not the biggest IPA fan, that should mean a lot. If you have a friend who prefers wheat ales or lagers and you're trying to broaden their horizons. Two-hearted is a great way to get their foot in the door.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

had this a ton of times, just finally uploading my review from almost a year ago...

Pours a yellowish gold with a lot of frothy head. Nice lacing and good head retention. Looks pretty. Smells citrusy and hoppy. Lots of grapefruit on the nose. Tastes similar... Nice floral and citrus balance. Well carbonated and very drinkable. A top notch brew!

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Got this one from Trader Joe's in Madison last weekend. This will definitely not be the last time I have this beer. Fantastic IPA in my opinion. Poured a slightly cloudy light copper color with very little head. Great hop aroma. Taste is fantastic. Plenty of hops but very well balanced and easy to drink. Very smooth. I will be looking for this one again very soon.

Grade from the group = B+.

"Nice fishing IPA - too much of a boy beer."

First, the beer pours clear yellowish with a brown tint in color with about 1 finger of head.

Once the beer is poured, the fumes exhibited a hoppy bitterness and sweet smell with a slight pine smell like an x-mas tree. While someone else stated, "the smell jumps on you like an Haitian at a Union soccer game."

The beer had little to no carbonation but had a complex, sharp taste to it. As far as drinking is concerned, the beer had a smooth but not too bitter taste and a strong after taste.

Many felt the beer is more of a casual session beer like the art depicts one may grab a few of these for a day of fishing.

Finally, the beer had a smooth yet slightly bitter taste to it with a fruity after taste and long hop finish.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a beer I go to a out of my way to get on tap. Good hoppy sweet smell and dark amber color. Head laces around the glass and sticks around for most of the beer. The alchol is mildly present. Good drinkability not one of pound-able beer though, meant to be enjoyed.

Fantastic beer. The BEST that's somewhat easy to obtain.

Great color. It's beautiful to look at.

Definitely a hoppy beer, but unlike others that tend to be overbearing this one goes just perfectly with the other flavors in the beer.

Floral hoppy scent.

Nice head.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Was excited to see this in my kitchen as a surprise recently, my roommate's favorite beer.

Appearance is amber, with a light orange. Not much of a head on mine, but lacing sticks around after each sip.

A fairly standard IPA aroma, with maybe a bit more floral than the typical one. Very inviting.

First sip is bitter as expected but quite enjoyable. Orange up front, dry hops, and some pine. My favorite part of this is the aftertaste. Crisp, clean, and pleasant, a beer that I find truly refreshing. Would love to have this on a patio in July with steak and not in my living room after a foot and a half of snow and no food in the apartment.

Mouthfeel is great. Excellent balance of carbonation and hops.

Drinkability is good as well, tried to savor this one, but still finished pretty quickly and felt the need to have another one.

Overall, a very solid IPA. Haven't had enough kinds to determine if it is one of my favorites or not. Still very enjoyable.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer. It is one of my favorite IPA's. It pours a golden color with moderate head. The citrus hop aroma is extremely pleasant. The initial taste is nice and bitter and then the citrusy hops take over. The aftertaste is also very pleasant. I love the hop character of this beer. It is not an overwhelmingly hoppy IPA. It is one of the easier drinking IPA's on the market and I hope the distribution reaches New Hampshire soon.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Hazy golden and poured with about a 3/4 inch thick foamy head. Left nice lace throughout the glass. Kept a nice cap throughout.

S - Fruity and hoppy, but not overly hoppy. Nice balance between floral, grapefruit and hops.

T - Yum.

M - Subtle malt, but nice floral / hoppy taste. Perfect carbonation. Everything mixes well.

D - Very smooth for a 7%er... one of my favorite IPA's... other than my homebrew, of course!

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Received this in my first trade from fourkicks. Enjoyed on 2/10/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Light golden color with a nice finger of head that dissipates quickly.

S: Lots of floral and grapefruit smells. More floral than I've smelled in a while.

T: Lots of floral taste up front that gives way to subtle grapefruit. Nice malt backbone.

M: Lots of carbonation which seems to keep this from getting to syrupy for me. Just on the brink of syrupy.

D: Enjoyed this one from beginning to end. Easy to drink for 7% with plenty of hops.

After having hundreds of these, finally reviewing it. Batch 10197

A- Beautiful glowing amber color with some touches of orange. Perfect white foamy head that sticks around.

S- Smells of dry hops and citrus. Notes of lemon and orange come through. Reminiscent of some west coast IPAs.

T- a crisp malty taste with hints of pineapple and orange. It then transitions to a flavor of dry hops and pine. Aftertaste is malty and dry with a nice hoppy touch.

M- Like most bells beers, pretty much perfect. Excellent balance of malt/hoppiness/carbonation. Good body for the style.

D- Very nice and drinkable. With a little less alcohol this would be a great ipa session beer. As it is it is one of my favorite single IPAs available on the east coast.

Should be a staple in any hop lovers beer diet

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Tan-orange with a good, lasting one finger head, slight haze and nice lacing.

Smell is citrus hops, pine, and grapefruit, with a smidge of maltiness. Very nice.

Taste is really nice. A fine hoppy base with a nicely blended bit of piney grapefruit and just a touch of malt. Just a barely detectable sweetness and perfect bitterness rounds out the flavors nicely. A great IPA.

Feel is smooth, rich, finely yet amply carbonated, and medium bodied. Very good. Kind of like a more mellow version of hopslam.

A bit more balanced and drinkable than hopslam, although that comparison would be per the brewery and not per style, since hopslam is a double. Still, this is a nice beer that I really enjoyed (although truth be told, I really liked hopslam too).

Poured a 1 inch foam head and a copper color. Definite hop rom a with a fruity grapefruit smell. Taste was quite hoppy in a good way.

I'd heard a lot of hype on this beer, and overall I'd say it wasn't a letdown but I don't see myself craving this anytime soon.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a hazy golden color with a big pillowy egg shell colored head that slowly settled into a nice cap leaving some chunk lacing.

The aroma is of grapefruit and tropical fruit hops. Quite a sweet profile. Notes of caramel, honey and pepper come through as well.

The taste is of mellow tropical fruit hop flavors, with some strong pepper notes. A very sweet, bready malt brings some caramel and honey flavors. Kind of a strange AIPA as the malt is quite big. I feel that this beer actually tastes better when it is colder, seems to subdue the malt and lets the hops stick out more.

The feel is moderate to full, again quite big for an AIPA. Fairly soft carbonation leads to a smooth feel; very good balance between sweet and bitter.

A very good AIPA but something irks me about it a bit. The malt seems to be a bit too big and can be overpowering as the beer warms, giving the beer a slightly odd taste. That said it is very well balanced and drinks well, especially when it is colder.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A very good beer and easy to find in the Midwest. I use this beer to judge others against. Let it warm up or pour it in a warm glass instead of a frosty glass. Like most IPAs it is better at 55 degrees than 35 degrees.

A - mahogany
S- light but better when a little warm
T - better when not ice cold
M - good medium
D - great with food, fried fish, burgers etc....

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

wow...this ipa is a keeper!

the appearance is a dark yellow...to light orange....with a beautiful full white head....and nice lacing....

smells citrusy....grapefruit...there is also maybe a touch of earthy smell there too....

taste is outstanding....the citrus hops shine through well...but not overly bitter....a little bit of the malt comes through too....but its kinda light for a 7% abv beer....

the feel is creamy...and feels like it should be in your mouth...

great drink ability...good session beer

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy orange-red color. Thick head that retains well. Thick lacing on side of glass.

S: Pleasant and sweet! Nice citrus hoppy smell.

T: Sweet smell carries over into taste. To me this is not a bitter ipa. I get none of the grapefruit bitterness that I am coming to expect from an American ipa. Very smooth tasting. Nice balance between hops and malts, that really goes down way too easily. Finally getting the bitterness half way through the glass.

M: Medium body, with slight carbonation. Creamy.

D: Definite!

I think that this beer is the best balance that I have seen between a traditional ipa and heavy hopped West Coast ipa. So far to me, it is the ultimate in regards to drinkability as far as American ipa's go.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: A golden orange body with a good size head with nice retention that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S: A nice hoppy aroma of pine & citrus balanced with caramel malts.

T: A strong, bitter, hoppy upfront followed by a nice citrus/tropical notes and sweet malts. Finishes again bitter with a nice balanced citrus flavor.

M: High carbonation that tingles the tongue, medium body, & smooth and criso texture.

D: This one is very easy to find, nicely priced, and very "yummy." A great American IPA that makes this one extremely easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle. I have had this beer several times and enjoy it each time.

It has a nice deepish golden hue that clears up quickly with a decent amount of carbonation with a head that lingers for a minute or so. Clings to the side of the glass after moving around.

Has a strong fruity citrus smell, I don't really smell hops...maybe slightly...but not as much as other people say.

As it hits my mouth and tongue I notice the carbonation and hops instantly and a strong citrus taste that fades quickly to a really nice bitterness and hoppy aftertaste I really enjoy. It has a slight fizz on the back of my throat as it fades.

Mouthfeel is a full body fizz with a slight thick feel at the end.

I enjoy IPAs and find this quite drinkable, even at 7% I found my glass empty pretty quickly.

Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Alittle cloudy with a orange tinge with nice 1 finger head. and Good Lacing

S- Citrus smell with a hint of hops

T- Has a slight bitter taste with a blast of citrus in the middle then a little hop tinge on the way down

M-medium body with good carbonation

D-Bought this thinking it was going to be a drainpour..was told it was really hoppy and tried this back when i didn't like IPA's but this beer surprized me. Very Drinkable for an Ipa and its bitterness and citrus combine great and neither overpower each other. Id get this beer again and again

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Well my local craft beer store wasn't really too high on this beer. But, I've learned I've got to filter what they say by understanding they are a bunch of hop heads that really like the slam of a high hopped beer. Try getting them to drink a Belgium ;)

Don't get me wrong I like incredibly hoppy beer, but you know I've forgotten how nice a well balanced IPA can be. I don't drink fast but I looked down and glass was empty.

Like I said very well balanced. Not much head. Smell was perhaps a little lacking. But a very pleasing beer. I'm glad I bought a six pack. For my hophead friends I'll do penance later with a Double Dog.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Golden hue. The first half of this beer poured very clear with almost perfect transperancy, while the second half poured with lots of clouding. This beer was shipped in very cold weather and I hope it didn't ruin the beer. The head is nearly non-existent on an aggressive pour and this is very disappointing to me. I can agitate a very small amount of inconsistent sized bubbles which quickly disappear. I'm getting carbonation bubbles throughout the session so the beer is not flat. The head just leaves something to be desired.

Smell: Teasing at what some DIPA's can do. It's floral and has a bit of non-specific citric zest to it. Pineapple but not as much grapefruit as some of the other similarly hopped beers. Probably the best IPA smell I've experienced. I can tell this is a special beer. Just a bit of sweetness from the malts. They are definitely playing second fiddle, as to be expected. On the second half of the beer (I pour in 2 halves) the beer turned noticeably sweet with a honey or caramel flavor. This started to approach the "balanced" point, with the finish still remaining bitter.

Taste: Right in the front there is a bit of sweetness to this beer that is nice. Let it sit and you get the hop notes from above, floral, citric zest, and pineapple. On the end there is definitely a bitterness but not overwhelming or aggressive. I wouldn't call it balanced, the hops are dominating for sure. Being a DIPA fan and tasting how good this is, I just wish it had bit more. Still this beer is well made, delicious and it doesn't kick you in the face with hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Refreshing, effervesant. Appropriately shy of medium bodied with just enough stickiness to know it has substance.

Drinkability: At 7% I wouldn't exactly say this is full on session material, but I wish I had these local to put 2 or 3 back on a weeknight. I believe the shipping may have caused some issues. It sure seemed like the beer "settled" like a bottle conditioned beer, although there is no mention on the bottle of this. The next time I'm in the mid-west I'll make a point of grabbing another bottle from a fresh source.

Thanks

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle, SA perfect pint.

A - Semi-coudy, golden colored brew with a little orange tinge. Lots of tiny bubbles feed a nice white head. Good retention/lacing.

S - Nice nose. Citrus/floral hop smell. Sweet, fruity ike sugary mlat as well, the citrus balances nicely with it making the beer smell somewhat like pineapple and very inviting.

T - A nice dry IPA. Lets the hops shine through. Bitter taste with some citrus fruits.

M - A nice medium body. Fairly well carbonated bottle conditioned IPA.

D - Very nice, a great combination of the hops/malt plus Bells' house yeast makes this a homerun of an American IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Great Ipa orange color with a nice white head. Not a lot of classic IPA smells going on here. Great bitterness on the tounge with an outstanding malt balance. Resin oils and sweet apricots abound. This is a great tasting Ipa with exceptional balance. Would like to session these very soon.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bright, crisp, super drinkable resiny grapefruit dIPA.
___

A: Clear golden body with a persistent one finger white frothy head.

S: A ton of grapefruit and resiny hops and a bit of buttery biscuit malt underneath.

T: Bright, acidic fruity and resiny hops, carried deep into the tongue by carbonation. One of the most crisp beers I've encountered. Light but firm buttery biscuit malt foundation.

M: High carbonation and enough texture to hold on to without being heavy.

D: Perfect balance between flavor and weight.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.