Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

Deadphish76, Jun 16, 2014

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

MJBrierley, Sep 18, 2014

Pdiaz83, Sep 25, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

This is your classic IPA, along with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Though I love hop heavy beers, what I love about this beer is that it is very good without having to be a typical West Coast IPA. The flavors are very unique, but familiar when you open a bottle and take that first sip.

Not only that, 2 of these won't knock you out. I wouldn't say it is sessionable, but delicious. I can't contemplate how the Stone IPA can garner a higher score than this.

DaveHopSculp, Oct 01, 2014

Bdap23, Sep 30, 2014
4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

charlieheld, Oct 07, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

shippy_ship, Oct 02, 2014

deesteelers, Jan 31, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

dkeramaty, Jan 24, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Beer strikes a nice balance between the hop and malt content. I'm a big fan of Victory Hopdevil and this beer is very similar in many ways. As I cannot get Victory in Nashville, I'll be heading to Bowling Green KY to pick up a half barrel of Bell's finest very soon!

greenbean3, Jul 04, 2007

iNat, Aug 17, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Outstanding in every respect.
Quickly became a fovorite of mine.
Tastes full.
Good head, leaving lace as you drink.
Poured into glass about halfway so head could build.
I found this beer awhile ago at a World Market as a single and have been buying this, and others on a regular basis.

FLYINGSCOOTER, Nov 11, 2009

al1286, Jun 23, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. 2 finger frothy white head with good retention. Color was a honey orange.

Smell was big fresh hops with a strong citrus background. More grapefruit than orange but both there.

Taste matches the smell of fresh hops which mute out some of the fruit.

This beer is well carbonated. Has typical ipa aftertaste.

I would say this is a great and very drinkable ipa but not my favorite. I look forward to trying it from the tap.

mpm180, Nov 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Oh, this one has been reviewed so many times. As such and even so, this is my contribution to the Two Hearted Ale experience. I'm enjoying this one now...late on a Sunday night, after a great Chicago weekend (even if I went to the Cubs game tonight and they lost). I won't pretend I'm breaking new ground. And with that said, here's the review:

A: gorgeous golden straw color. Finger's worth of bubbly white head. Look at the lacing! Very pretty beer.

S: and oh what a smell. Some citrus on the nose...but more, pineapple (which is very nice).

T: there isn't much new to say here. This is a tasty beer. The bitter and citrus are present, but most intriguing is the yeasty and almost wheat component on the back end of this brew. Bitter, yes. But that alone does not describe the nuances at work here.

M: this is a substantial brew sure to leave your tongue aware of its bitters. I'll call it medium bodied.

D: this beer registers a significant 7% abv; do not chug it! You'll be tempted to, but don't! This is a balanced and nuanced brew. Enjoy it as such.

I'm hoping to catch this one on tap really soon. (Though even without tasting it on tap I'm still claiming this as one of my favorite beers).

And, if you've not read it, give Hemingway's "Big Two-Hearted River" a read...it'll only enhance your love for this beer. Cheers!

sopernicus, Jun 01, 2009
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.