Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

Very cloudy,orange colored body with tons of lacing.

Very citrusy,piney and grapefruit notes in the taste also.Bitterness then malt.

Nice mouthful.Little carbonation.

Nice but I like the bottled version better.Seems more hoppy.It was still nice to have though.

MmmIPA, Jan 07, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

2011 update; on about month and a half old bottle.

A: This one pours an ever so hazy amber orange color and is topped with a frothy stark white head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit zest and pine. Gotta love it.

T: Taste follows up with what the nose suggests. Grapefruit rind and pine delightfully tingle the palate. This has a dry feeling about it with just a slight suggestion of toasted grains. Truly a fantastic beer to which all other IPA's should be judged.

M: Prickly

O: A real classic, this beer always impresses me every time I try it.

'08 review

What a great IPA this beer is...

Its not overwhelming, but is powerful enough to captivate. The factor that keeps me coming back is the fruity bouquet on the nose and backup with the flavor. It's so full of citrus and grapefruit, but in a purely essence of and bitter way. This beer is one which will be appreciated by the beer connoisseur and the nube alike.

flannelman808, Mar 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Golden copper haze with a fluffy, white, foamy head.

I smell hops, hops, citrus and hops. God damn, this tastes so frigging good. It's so smooth with little to no aftertaste.

I could drink this beer all day. Besides Dreadnaught and Furious, this is the best IPA I've ever had.

If you're tired of playing around with IPAs, or beer in general, go grab a few cases of this. I have to go back across the border to get more next weekend.

rudylaw, Jan 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard shaker pint glass.

Golden orange in color. Ever so hazy with a finger or so of slightly off-white head which produces some heavy duty lacing.

Smells of citrus hops (mainly grapefruit) with some piney hops notes as well. No noticeable malt aroma in the nose, but man those hops smell so good, I'm not really missing it.

Taste is also dominated by big, bold, assertive hops flavors. Delectable citrus hops are the star. There is some piney flavors as well as a touch of sweet caramel which provides a malt backbone to the brew.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick and a touch oily. Carbonation is ample and provides a touch of creaminess to the beer.

Overall, what a great IPA. It packs a sizable hops punch but is well balanced and very tasty. One of my go to American IPAs.

pburland23, May 15, 2011

jrand2621, Dec 31, 2013

John_Beeryman, Jul 21, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottled on 9/25, much thanks to Hopeswimmer for the bottle

Appearance: Golden/amber with a diesel, shaving cream-like two finger head that sticks around.

Smell: Hops, hops, hops! Wow! Fruity as hell!! Sweet mango and pineapple with citrus notes. Call me crazy, but I'm also picking up lemons soaked in sugar smell, like when I used to rip shots of Absolute Citron in high school and eat the lemon rolled in sugar after.

Taste: Good balance between malt and hops. The beginning is citrusy, then fades into a bitter finish with some malt to balance it out. To me, this is like a blend of West and East coast IPAs, which makes sense, since it comes from Michigan. It has the really floral bite early, then the bitter hop finish that the West coast style leans to, yet it has more malt than a beer like Pliny The Elder.

Mouthfeel: Not as much carbonation as I expected. Wouldn't say this is exactly a letdown, just think it would make this more drinkable, a la Pliny. The carbonation in that beer is just nuts.

Overall: Maybe I shouldn't have smelled or looked at this beer before I drank it, because those are the two things about this that impressed me most. This is a well balanced beer that is surely drinkable, yet I feel the end's lingering bitterness may throw off some East coast IPA guys. I was expecting the taste to match the smell and although that wasn't the case, this is still a good beer.

PsilohsaiBiN, Dec 01, 2012

3Hops, Nov 16, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

DLS168, Oct 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

Psychmusic, Jan 04, 2014

MaxOhle, Jan 23, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -11%

Been waiting to try for a while and overall not disappointed but doesn't compare on same level as some of my other favorites.
Golden honey pour with nice white sticky head. Smell lacks with alcohol notes and dome sticky hop resin. Taste and feel great. Sweet honey, molasses but smooth and not overly sticky. Easily will drink again

alaimoa, Mar 28, 2014

green_plastic, Jun 18, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -18%

woodchipper, Jun 21, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Golden in color with a slight off white head leaving decent lacing. Fairly carbonated.

A nice floral aroma, big on over ripe citrus. Very hoppy.

Nicely sweet upfront, but with a matching bitterness in the end. The taste, like the aroma, is hop forward. Lightly tart citrus.

Moderate in body with a bit of prickle on the tongue. Almost creamy with long lasting flavor that adheres to the tongue as the beer dries in the finish.

An excellent and unusual hop offering. Quite pleasing on this summer evening.

obywan59, Aug 22, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Light gold with a slight haze. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass producing a very light white head, eventually reducing to thing ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Nice floral hoppy smell, but on the lighter side.

T: A good long pull spreads a decent bit of pale malt over the tongue that rather quickly gives way to the sharpness of the hops. There is some bittering but more flavor in the hops. There is a pretty good hop bitterness left behind in the finish.

M&D: Medium weight in the mouth but generally light taste. Abundant carbonation but not overly so. Smooth going down.

This is a good strong IPA. I was a little thrown by the fish on the bottle, but hey, I haven't been disappointed with any of the Bell's brews to date. This was no exception. This bottle just seemed to go down exceedingly smooth and left me looking for the next. Recommended.

SIRIUS2, Feb 12, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -15%

Had both on tap and in bottle on the same day. Had to try it twice b/c I used to love this beer and was underwhelmed. Bottle was 3 weeks old.

Color: Nice golden color, some orange with a white head.

Smell: Hoppy and malty, some citrus, but not as great smelling as many IPAs.

Taste: fairly bland both on tap and from the bottle, disappointing

Mouthfeel: average, crisp.

Overall: Hoping I was just having a bad day b/c this beer used to be my go to when I lived in MI.

buffs9, Jan 09, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

As a portlander I am surrounded with spectacular beer and it is not often that I say "man, I wish (insert beer) was distributed here.". Bell's Two Hearted Ale made me say that today. This ranks among the best citrus IPAs I have ever tasted. I think This has found a place in my top 5 IPAs.

Two hearted is a slightly hazy copper orange color in my Sierra Nevada hop glass, there is some visible carbonation. After the pour the beer had a 3/4 inch cream head and as I drink it leaves sticky lacing. The smell of this beer is absolutely spectacular, I caught whiffs of orange before I was able to get the cap all the way off my bottle. The dominant smell is the citrus hops, but I think I am catching some floral hops as well. The taste starts with a slight sweetness, in the middle of my tongue I get a bit of pine flavor, finally as I swallow the beer I get a strong grapefruit bitterness. This grapefruit lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel for this beer is just where it should be. Overall, the only negative I can see about this beer is that I can't get it at the supermarket.

gkunkle, May 20, 2011

scottiethebody, Aug 26, 2012
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.