Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,250 | Hads: 12,840
3.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: light golden yellow/orange
Smell: hoppy, wheat, grains
Taste: very hoppy, bitter, wheat
Overall: unpleasant, I do not care for a lot of hops and bitterness (162 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

appearance: Pours a nice gold color with a 1.5" fluffy head that drop but sticks around for a while and leaves a nice lacing. I did expect it to be a bit darker given its an IPA.

smell: Hops, hops, and hops. I kinda wish other aroma's jumped out at me here.

taste and mouthfeel: Delicious. Starts out with a bit of sweetness then you're hit with hops and citrus flavors. Medium-high carbonation makes a nice crisp finish with lingering cirtusey after taste. Probably just getting into the medium bodied catagory.

notes: My first IPA was Samuel Smiths and I thought I liked it. Since then I've tried others but the blend of flavors in this just really won me over. I love it and so far its my first choice in IPAs. (723 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Batch 7196, 2005

Pours bright orange with a huge rocky head and loads of carbonation. Visually it reminds me of Saison Dupont, but that is where the comparisons stop. The nose is absolutely gorgeous. It smells of grapefruit and spice with a slight nod towards marijauna and pine. It smells like fresh hops, perfect for an IPA. The palate is slightly more balanced. The initial palate is some sweet pale and caramel malts which are quickly washed away by a tidal wave of hops. Again, citrus and pine flavor are predominant with a deep, powerful bitterness. The mouthfeel is is crisp and refreshing due to the high carbonation and light malts.

This beer is fantastic. It is my personal benchmark for what an IPA should taste like. My only complaint is that it is significantly better when fresh which takes out any chance of aging this beer. Overall this beer is outstanding. (879 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours a hazy amber/orange color, small white head, small amounts of lacing

S: Aroma is of floral hops and a bit citrusy, perhaps a hint of alcohol

T: Exceptional. The first taste is of citrus fruits (hint of grapefruit and orange), mild yet recognizable, perfectly balanced with the hops that follow. The beer is balanced by the hoppy aftertaste, and is not overpowering.

M: Smooth, med-low carbonation

D: Easily one of the most drinkable IPAs I've had. Would definitely be able to have more than one in a sitting.

This IPA jumped high up my list and is a definite buy for anyone, not just IPA fans. I plan on getting a case soon. (650 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

I was always put off this beer by the freaky looking fish on the label. However, having recieved some as a gift, I thought I would give it a try. It is drinkable, with a strong grapefruit tone and a nice fullness to it. But I was no super impressed, to me it lacked some of the complexity and over tones of other IPAs. If I try it again I'll give an update as I am suprised that this well liked beer from a well respected brewery isn't doin' it for me. (452 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

This is the go-to beer for my wife and I. Every grocery store carries it in our area, and when in doubt, we can pick this up and not be disappointed. It smell amazing, tastes amazing, and provides the perfect balance for us -- That's not to say that it is "well balanced". This is most definitely a hoppy pale ale, but one of the best, for sure. (345 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this with dinner tonight at the Winchester.

Came out with a big two inch head on it that lasted the entire beer. The head had great lacing that you would expect from this beer. The color was golden.

Arromatics were outstanding with a very crisp and clean taste. (268 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Masterful. More than I expected. I want to taste this side by side with Hopslam, of which I have some. In my head, I like Two Hearted better! I never even liked an IPA much until this, and it's the first time I've liked a beer with this degree of hoppiness. In fact, it addicted me to it. I love that faintly floral hoppy nasal aftertaste that creeps up on you five minutes later, reminding you you want another. All crisp, no muddle about it. The composition of this beer seemed so aligned. This isn't just an awesome pale ale?? It's so different than any other IPA I've had that I hope I can find more like it. I appreciate the very subtle use of spices, and the peppery spice of the hops. Some darker IPA's overdo the additive spices IMO.

To put it in context, normally I prefer to drink strictly either dark malty faintly bitter chocolate-cappucino-spice flavored RIS or Allagash, but this is a beautiful middle which I now like very very much. It has basically enlightened me.

The mouthfeel was also memorable. It wasn't thick or syrupy, wasn't too bitter and dry after swallowing, just crisp enough and clean enough, and for the ABV, I feel it was perfect.

This is one of two beers that has impressed me more than any other beyond my original expectations (mad elf the other). Bravo!!

UPDATE: This is the most consistent elite beer I've found. Even on the West Coast my brother tells me the Pliny has been slowly degrading. I also find variation between some of the IRS's I like, except Rasputin. (1,507 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Bell's Two Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs. It's a beer I commonly bring to parties and a great one to pair with food.

A- A stunning gold, with some cloudiness. The rocky head is a thing of beauty with a lace that clings to the sides throughout.

S- A siren to anyone who loves hops. Very crisp and and pleasantly floral nose. My favorite aspect of the beer.

T- Goes hand-in-hand with the smell. Very floral but not overtly bitter. A very strong and citric IPA.

M- Sometimes can have a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but it really depends on the bottle. Some can be extremely good, but I've had I think 2 instances where the beer wasn't up to par,

D- A pleasant and enjoyable IPA to drink. Like I already said, the smell is what makes me keep drinking it. The bitterness also keeps bringing you back for more. (816 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Very solid IPA. Aroma is sweet and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit with an initial hoppy bite that quickly fades. Medium palate. Very smooth and balanced. incredible lacing and an overall extremely creamy body and mouthfeel. An excellent IPA where you can never go wrong. (267 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional IPA. The balance between hop bitterness and sweet malt body is absolutely perfect. Have also had this ale on tap at their brew pub, and it was equally good.

I was surprised to pay $2/case more at the company store than at Russo's, an aggressive beer/wine retailer in Grand Rapids. I wish Bell's would be more helpful on their label and web site about the type of hops, and the IBUs. (408 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance:
Rusty tan color body, fairly cloudy with moderate amounts of bubbles streaming up through the glass. Nice off white head rises to around 1.25-1.5” and settles down to some coarse bubbles and a good lace.

Smell:
Upon opening the bottles I am greeted with a sweet malty odor. There is a little biscuity-citrusness to the smell as well. Floral notes appear as beer warms. I think aroma is the weak spot of this particular brew.

Taste:
I can taste some biscuity malt notes up front with a hop bite in the middle to finish. Floral hop taste in the middle with a bitter/tangy finish. Well balanced and not a bottle full of bitter. Biscuity-bready notes become more apparent as the beer warms along with a bit of sweet alcohol.

Mouthfeel:
Thin to medium bodied brew, good carbonation and goes down pretty smooth for an IPA. Little nip on the tip of my tongue as I swallow it down. Overall it has a very nice feel.

Drinkability:
Quite tasty and easy drinking for an IPA, mostly due to the good balance between the hops and the malt. The relatively low ABV (for an IPA) make this a decently sessionable beer that I would have no problem packing away three or four. Definitely will add this to my “would buy a case of it” list. (1,249 characters)

Two Hearted is the beer that converted me to good beer many years ago. It's hopped but not as aggressively as the more modern west coast ales. It's malty, but not as heavy as "balanced" IPAs such as 90 minute. It's very drinkable and remains a key player in my IPA conversion guide for Miller Lite drinkers... (310 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours alarmingly foamy, but that's just the beer's way of winking at you before the awesomeness to come.

smell is good. the typical grapefruit/piney notes are balanced out nicely by sweet maltiness. i'm probably crazy, but i get a little bit of cream soda. overall, a bit more subdued than i'd like, though.

taste: won't knock you back like its cousin hopslam, but you get a nice blast of hops up front before it fades into a nice, fruity sweetness with some bite on the end. the balance here -- hops to malts -- is what sets it apart from many American IPAs.

mouthfeel: i love how creamy this beer is. one of the best things about drinking two hearted.

overall, this is not the best ipa in the world. but it is a damn good one. only real flaw is a bit of a subdued smell, but i got over that years ago. best IPA i can get in my distro area for a reasonable price. (870 characters)

Very tasty, nicely hoppy beer.

It has an exceptionally floral aftertaste. Very nice and easy to drink. The mouthfeel is light, but not too light. Good nose - again, floral and very hoppy with a bit of grapefruit.

This is a very nice and drinkable pale ale. (258 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into Pilsner Glass.

A: Lighter in color than most IPA's I've sampled at least. Pours a beautiful blonde color, with what seems to be plenty of carbonation. Head lingered the entire glassfull.

S: Wow. Smells great. Perfect smelling hop forward ale. Earthy, Fresh, Yes.

T: Crisp. Piney, Earthy, Citrussy, Yes.

M: Light-Bodied. Full of Carbonation.

O: Great beer. I can see what all the fuss is about. Highly suggest this beer if you have been snubbing your nose up at your local liquor store. My GF pointed out that the art looks "camo". I can see what she means, but that is not how I see it. The artwork for this beer is so simple, yet so original and unique. (688 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a hazy orange, hinting at its citrus hop flavor and aroma character. I picked up a funny, damp smell that was a bit unusual, nothing off-putting though. Taste was full of sharp and crisp grapefruit, orange, and floral tones with the occasional tinge of grassiness (from too much dry-hopping?). Bitterness lingers a bit on the finish and mouthfeel runs a little light, but it works. Reminds me of a nicely dry-hopped homebrewed IPA. Very delicious, get some if you get the chance! (485 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Cloudy dark yellow with a dense, creamy head.

S: Citrusy and a bit piney.

T: Very balanced for an IPA. Very similar for the scents too. This is definitely the best IPA I have had, although it is a style I usually only like moderately.

M: Slightly prickly and crisp.

D: Very inviting. Yes. (295 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

From a bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Nice light bronze with a slight haze, good inch and a half of head formed when poured, nice lacing as it's disappearing from my glass.

Smell - hints of malts up front with a bit of pine and citrus as well

Taste - Light malts coming through upfront and then the bitterness of the hops comes through with the classic IPA flavor.

Mouthfeel - fairly light mouth feel as it's being sipped but still leaves a nice coating on the tongue and mouth.

Overall - a pretty good IPA, a bit more malty than most but still a solid choice if you find it. (589 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice, clear orange-golden color with a decent white head that lingers. The aroma of hops is strong, with notes of grapefruit and flowers, very good smelling. The flavor again has the hops forefront with some citrus and malt, finishing with floral flavors. Amazing flavor without overt bitterness, a really, really good IPA. (323 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into non-labelled tulip glass on a sunny cold afternoon.

Aroma: golden, slightly hazy, less than an inch of white foam head.

Scent: slight floral notes, fresh grains

Taste: Floral hops, balanced nicely with malt attributes

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, medium bodied, not super sticky like some bigger ipas can be.

overall: every time i drink this beer I am reminded why this is one of the best examples of an IPA. Really well balanced, drinkable, and something new to enjoy each time you drink it. (525 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would have to say this is one of the nest beers available. Great ale. Not quite and ipa. I would say an intro to ipa. A fantastic flavor and balance. (152 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled 10/19/11

A - Pours a golden amber with a fluffy white head.

S - Very citrusy, orange and grapefruit, with a background scent of pine and malts.

T - Citrus zing with each sip orange zest, then some sweet malts finish to dry hops.

M - Smooth, slightly drying with a nice hop oil coating.

O - Such an easy drinker, a delicious beer that is always in my fridge. (370 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

So my friends and I had a 16 beer bracket of locally found beers. They had to come in 6 packs and be available at the start of the bracket.

Kalamazoo.

For me this won with a combination of

A - Top shelf. Golden color and nice bit of head. The lacing looked wondrous.

S - okay. a little smell of hop, but not overwhelming

T - Smoooth. Taste the hop and it chills out in your mouth.

M - Dry and crisp

D - I would like to say I could drink it all day, but totally not able to do it. Still its wonderful on a warm day.

Grab yourself a pack! (546 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice honey color with a big fluffy white head. The nose is intensely flowery and yeasty. Very creamy in the mouth. The flavor is a nice biscuity yeasty malt backbone bathed in a big citrusy dose of hops. Fairly long and bitter finish. Unique flavor profile amongst IPA's. Definately satisfies the craving for a hoppy beer.
I will say that this beer can be inconsisten. For every perfect fresh bottle I have had, there has been another that lost a lot of flavor, or a cask conditioned pint that was past it's prime. I find bottles from a high turnover retailer to be most relaible. (581 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.