Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,420 | Ratings: 13,695
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been drinking way too much of this lovely, lovely stuff to not have posted a review about it yet. Gathering from that opening statement, yup, this is going to be a very positive light shone on the beer that is Two Hearted. Spicy Orange Marmalade. 'Nuff said. Really. That was and still is the first thing that hits me when I drink this exquisite IPA. The honeyed citrus stampedes out of the glass on an aromatic mission to assault your olafactory glands. Luck for me I am a beer masochist. Then you drink it and the barrage of zest simply continues. But all of this hop juice is held in check by an assertive, smooth and full-bodied malt backbone. The finish is crisp, fragrant and your brain's que to hurry up and raise the glass to your mouth again. So drinkable, and even better when you can get it in the 5 ltr. party kegs. Whaaa? Yup, this purty little thang is now available in a jolly little aluminum barrel of joy. Well, not specifically RIGHT now, as Bells puts Two Hearted keg production on temporary hiatus while they crank out the Oberon mini-kegs, but come Fall they will be back. Much, much love to another fabulous beer from Kalamazoo. Well alright, Comstock. Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

served in a bottle and poured into sam adams glass. appearance was ligter than i expected and had virtually no head. smells of the usual grapefruit citrus and hops... i have a slight cold so thats all i can pick up right now. mouthfeel is light yet the taste remains strong as you would expect from an ipa. nice citrus finish on the back of this one. very easy to drink and enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

I love the taste of this one, nothing jumps out at me as far as flavor, not too light, but more on the hoppy side. Strong, but very drinkable on a nice day as it is today. Out of the bottle the color is a light orange head lasted for a couple minutes. The smell of this one does not pop out at you as some IPA's do, but the taste is a reminder of what a good IPA should be. Overall a great beer and will definitely be drinking more of these guys.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A very good beer and easy to find in the Midwest. I use this beer to judge others against. Let it warm up or pour it in a warm glass instead of a frosty glass. Like most IPAs it is better at 55 degrees than 35 degrees.

A - mahogany
S- light but better when a little warm
T - better when not ice cold
M - good medium
D - great with food, fried fish, burgers etc....

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at North Banks restaurant on the Outer Banks. The aroma and flavor are all grassy hops... not my favorite. I'm sure this beer is a home run for a lot of people, but it's a little too grassy for me. Still, a well-crafted beer that deserves the strong ratings it gets.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Orange with less than an inch of head. Inviting.
S: Citrus hops and orange.
T: It tastes like it smells. The hops hit you up front and then a rush of orange calms your palate. Yum. (Did I mention the oranges?)
M: Better than most IPAs. It leaves your mouth dry and makes you want to take another sip! Medium-bodied and nicely carbonated.
D: Drinkable for an IPA. I would be able to drink a six-pack in a night, but would rather only have one or two.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: it's a clear, golden beer with good retention and lacing. looks great.

s: the smell is all hops. lots of pine and citrus come through.

t: again, hops. however, the malt flavor is still distinguishable.

m: medium-bodied with a good level of carbonation.

d: this is a very drinkable, very flavorful beer. top notch.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

copper orange colour, and lots of lacing on the glass.

smell of citrus fruits a biscuit malts.

a very sweet bitter citrus flavors mostly grapefruit, left with a bit of malts, and a tad bit of hops!

very creamy, with a little bit of chew which I mean in my opinion is a great thing in an american ipa!

Freaking amazing beer been drinking this for two years, such a great drinking IPA! I've had it on tap but I'm not a huge nitro guy. I mean if you're looking for a reasonably priced mind blowing IPA to unleash your arsenal buy it, don't stop think the bass is your friend!

packaged 1/30/2012

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pours the golden amber that you would expect from a top IPA.

Smell: Citrus, hops, not overwhelming. Very inviting.

Taste: Tastes like freshly shaven and clean vagina. This beer is among the most smooth and IPAs you'll have.

Feel: It feels wet and cold when I stick my finger in the beer.

Overall: This bad boy is a 4.75. Excellent go to beer. Enjoy it in the summer as you kick off your shoes and relax on the back porch.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Draft into a pint glass. Look: One finger head that receded fairly quick, Golden, slightly hazy with plenty of thin lacing. Smell: citrus and pine. Taste: Same as smell with a very pleasant bitter finish. Overall: Very drinkable with no offensive bitterness

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

A wonderful beer, I feel obligated to buy one whenever I come across it. Pours a somewhat hazy, copper orange, with a strong, citrusy, hoppy aroma. A modest head leaves a thin, clingy lace. Very intense hop flavor. A bit of a palate buster due to the high hoppiness, but expected from the style, and drinkability doesnt suffer.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Was poured for me at Bricco in Akron

A: A cloudy apricot color with almost no head to speak of. The lace was reluctant at times, but left it's mark.

S: Conifer, hoppy and a hint of sweet pineapple. Faint, but present.

T: Citrusy with a touch of spice. Strong hops out weigh the citrus a little, leaving me wondering what more of a balance would be like. Good IPA.

M: Nice medium-ish body but a little too bitter on the finish.

D: Good for one beer. I am glad I tried it, but might not be my first choice in ordering again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer is outstanding. I traded for two 6'er's of this (from pwoods, thank you sir) and have held off reviewing it because I didn't want to jump headlong into reviewing this beer. The truth remains though, this beer has a perfect hop/malt balance.

Maybe my palate is shellshocked from all the hoppy brews available out here, but I don't taste overpowering hops here as others have. There are hops, to be sure, but what this beer embodies more than any I've tried before is that elusive balance between bright hoppiness and sweet biscuity maltiness.

This is great as a barbecuing beer, completely sessionable.

What an outstanding beer this is, I wish this was readily available on the west coast.

So incredily drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Icetraxx for this beer. Pours a light orange color, with a hoppy aroma, not too sweet and nothing really grabs me. Good taste, the hops are balanced out by a sweet taste that I did not smell. Im not the largest fan of IPA's but it was not bad by any means.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

I bought a six pack of this one.
Poured it in a Stone Levitation imperial snifter. I also had it in on Cask once too.

The appearance red-orange, with about a two inch head poured calmly.

The smell was floral and I could smell the bitterness

The taste is smooth and bitter at the end of each sip on the tip of the tongue. delicious in gulps.

The mouthfeel isn't too astringent, great IPA

I could drink four of them easily, while being entertained of course.

Its a good session IPA

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A-Bronze with a fluffy head that kept well
S-Hops that hade a smell of citrus and pine
T-pineapple and grapefruit with a grassy earthen taste that was well balenced not very bitter for an IPA
M-Thick and creamy just right for the style.
D-Very nice I really liked this one

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

On draft. This has the appearance of a solid pale ale: sturdy hazy copper, nice lasting, dense head. I really enjoy the floral aroma. It’s very fresh and exotic with plenty of rather pleasing outdoorsy scents. Flavor is quite well balanced between the peppery hops and smooth sweet malts, though still packs a little bit of a punch with bitterness. This is an enjoyable beer for almost any occasion.

I know that all 5s should be rare. This is a great beer.
Pours a hazy, burnt orange and is capped by a big frothy white head. There was nice lacing in my glass. Citrus aromas explode from the glass and are underlined by tropical fruit and a slight sweetness. Some pine as well as some grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors meet a nice malt feel. Medium body and medium-light in carbonation, Two Hearted Ale is well balanced.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy orange, moderate carbonation leading to 2 finger head. Looks good. Standard for an IPA.

S: Upfront and good amounts of hops. Very floral.

T: Quite floral in the beginning and then the bitter and slightly piney hops come in. Light malts ends it with a touch of booze.

M: A little less heavy than a normal IPA - medium with a bit of carbonation.

O: Very good, and in all honesty, its one of my favorites of the style. The bitterness isn't overbearing and is very well balanced. Quite smooth and session-able. If you want to try a good IPA, then check this one out.

I do not know if it is my taste in beers or something else, but just do not see what all the hype is about. It is not a bad beer, just nothing that stands out. The more I drink it the less I like it actually. Tastes like a slightly less pure alcohol hop slam.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this from a tap. Nice golden orange with a 1 inch cream head. Smelled mildly tropical. Taste was an explosion of tropical fruit with the predominance of mango. Sweetly spicy with a hop forward taste. It was easily drank with a cool and clean finish. Loved it.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Kind of ironic that the 1st Bells Two Hearted I try is cask conditioned. At the time, I wished I had a bottled version of it so there was something to compare it to. Said that, after drinking the cask (adn eventually trying a bottle), I can say that the cask version does not disappoint!
The color was a cloudy deep yellow/orange with a typical cask head that lasts throughout.
The smell was a slap of citrus and hops on the nose. Very refreshing. Since this was on cask, I was expecting more of a low scent.
The taste was remarkable. Creamy big mouthfeel that sits there and hop flavor busting through. Definitely a well balanced cask version of a wonderful ale. Drink one and burp that hop taste all night.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

First of all, I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but being a sport, I try everything.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy light brown with an orange tinge. The head was white and foamy with lacing to the end of the beer. I like the smell, it's flowery. The taste was bitter I definitely didn't like the aftertaste. It was a little less bitter when it was warmer. The mouthfeel was good, it went down easily, normal carbonation and relatively light. Again, I'm not a fan of IPAs, and I most likely won't have another one of these.

5/24/04: Wrong, I had another.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Cought a few of these (mind the pun) over Thanksgiving. Beautiful label that matches an equally beautiful pour. Good colored head heaping with a hoppy smell. The first bite was tastey and resolved itself well without stingy like lesser pale ales. Sitting on the table through out the meal this beer lost little of its flavor as it returned to near room temperature. Not a beer for everyone because of its strong taste, but certainly a good choice for anyone looking for an IPA to love.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Copper with a fair amount of haze. Poured into imperial pint glass with a small head.

Smell - Mild citrus hoppiness.

Taste - A full on bright, citrus hoppiness up front. Highly carbonated with a nice smooth bubblebath mouthfeel. Lingering earthy bitterness in the aftertaste. As the beer warms more sweet, nutty grains come out, but the hops are the star of this show.

Picked this one up on a vacation to Michigan. This is a great hoppy ale. I was expecting something milder and was pleasantly surprised. Thank you Michigan & Bells.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.