2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,153 | Reviews: 1,514 | Show All Ratings:
dogger6253

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Sort of a light golden-yellow in color with an inch of foamy, white head, minimal lacing.

Smells of yeasty wheat bread with bananas and honey. Also hints of grass and citrus; oranges and lemons.

Taste is highly wheat with orange definitely coming through. Hops come through a little as well. Some spiciness and a little honey too.

Pretty complex taste for how light and drinkable this is. A little dry, but very refreshing. I'm looking forward to knocking out the next 5 in my fridge.

03-31-2007 06:24:29 | More by dogger6253
jasrbrd

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer is reminiscent of another Bell's beer, the great Two Hearted Ale, but the Oberon is a wheat ale. It's also not as strong as the Two Hearted Ale but Oberon still packs a 5.8% punch, although it doesn't taste it. Nice color (although a beer's color has never really mattered to me - give me the taste!) with a pleasant fruit aroma which is also not that strong or overwhelming. Highly recommend you give this one a try especially if you like Summer ales.

08-03-2007 21:54:59 | More by jasrbrd
mikeepeck

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Took a few bottles to the beach to do my first reviews. It was a warm, early summer evening, and the perfect time for a summer ale.

A: Deep orange-yellow, very cloudy, and not much head retention

S: Citrus and berries, with a light sunny smell from the hops and the wheat

T: fresh and refreshing, the carbonation is light and cleans out the mouth nicely. ends with light, citrus hops that taste just like the smell, and I get a little spice, especially in the aftertaste.

M: Light and clean, but lingering in the back of the throat due to the wheat. Thirst-quenching.

D: It's a summer ale, you could drink a whole 6-pack easy.

It tastes like a Blue Moon Summer beer to my girlfriend, and I think it's a great summer ale. I like it a lot, and now I finally know what all those Michigan Bell's fans are raving about.

05-25-2008 16:26:31 | More by mikeepeck
jockstrappy

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a small white head, not much lacing. Main aroma is orange peel, with a hint of sweet malt. Taste is very balanced...citric and sweet up front with a touch of bitterness on the backend. This brew washes away very clean, and begs for another sip. I could drink this all damn day!

06-05-2008 22:33:24 | More by jockstrappy
berserker256

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

I was at a Detroit Casino last night when I saw Oberon on tap. I figured I'd take a break from losing money at the blackjack table and have a good beer. It was delicious. I'm hard-pressed to find an American wheat beer better than this. It had a nice orange/gold color with nice head and tasted fruity-sweet. It didn't come with an orange slice either which is a good thing. I hate when people put crap in my beer. I've reviewed this beer out of the bottle and gave it a similar review from what I recall. But I also think that it helps turn luck around because I started doing way better at the blackjack table. I may have to make a tradition out of this now before I start playing from now on...

07-20-2008 14:14:42 | More by berserker256
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a relatively clear light orange yellow color. I say relatively clear because there is a good bit of floaties even with a very slow pour to try and avoid them. The head was practically non-existent, but I expected it to be that way with the slow pour so I won't judge it on that. The small ring of bubbles does leave a little lacing as it is consumed.

S: It has a very subtle aroma like many other wheat based beers. The wheat aroma is there as well as an orange citrus aroma with just a hint of spicing. For the style, I really like the aroma.

T: The taste follows the nose. Wheat, orange, and spicing in a very tasty mix. The spice is more than I expected based on the smell. This is a very good tasting beer for the style.

M: It is relatively thin, but I expect it of this style. The spicing and carbonation give it some interest in the mouth.

D: I could knock these back one after another. I wish this were available in Georgia because it would likely be my lawn mower beer. It is very refreshing but doesn't lack flavor.

08-18-2008 00:39:53 | More by GatorBeerNerd
WakeandBake

Notes Jun 28, 2008
Bottle,draught,mini keg.The beer pours a very cloudy golden color with a large white head.The strong scent of citrus and wheat is prominent.Strong yeast, orange and wheat flavor. The aftertaste is sweet and citrusy. Creamy mouthfeel,medium body. One of my faves any time of the year,very,very drinkable !

12-07-2008 13:03:17 | More by WakeandBake
arlo19

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

This was one of my favorites from a recent trip to Kalamazoo. I decided to buy locally; a 5L mini keg purchased at a liquor store ($20).

a: Cloudy, burnt orange, amber. medium-thick head on this beer. Healthy carbonation.

s: Slight citrus

t: taste of oranges; even in the dead of winter, this reminded me of sitting in a rocking chair, slowly enjoying a summer breeze.

m: very smooth; medium-full thickness in the mouth; solid but just right, IMO

d: The drinkability is one of the highest I have ever had! This is a ridiculously smooth beer, especially for the fullness.

This is easily in my top10. I may try garnished with an orange slice next time.

01-27-2009 00:09:16 | More by arlo19
dukedevil0

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap at sharp edge creekhouse outside of Pittsburgh

A: pours a pale golden yellow with a finger of head that reduces down and leaves lots of lacing behind on the glass.

S: very citrusy scent which didn't quite expect, it's actually not intense but us the dominant smell, orange peel and I keep searching for yeast or wheat and it's either barely there or I
Making it up in my head because I just had a saison

T: tastes like someone e put orange slices in my beer, very citrusy, very surprising flavor to me but I like it, it's a very light flavor that isn't intense

M: a little thin but that will gel in the sessionability

D: I want to give this a 5 here because it may be the most sessionable beer I have ever had, but! I can't help but think they could make it even better. Low abv, low abv taste, great easy flavor.

This feels like the grandson of hopslam and the son of two hearted, I'll be continually drinking this for sure.

04-28-2009 23:20:11 | More by dukedevil0
CptAubrey

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle poured into goblet. It's bottle conditioned, and I chose to pour it without the sediment.

A: Pours deep yellow with sticky white head.

S: Floral, herbal hops predominate with malt and a touch of grain beneath. It's a VERY hot day and this beer smells VERY appetizing. It's like a beer flower.

T: Soft sweetness blends well with herbal hoppiness. Slightly tart backbone throughout. Smooth finish with low to moderate hop bitterness. Delicious and refreshing! A well-balanced combination of pleasant flavors without any harsh surprises.

M: Light-medium body, moderate carbonation. Soft mouthfeel (similar to a good Munich helles lager) gives the impression of lightness without being weak or watery.

D: I could drink this beer all day! But alas, this is my last one!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. I wish I could get this in NJ. Must try on a hot summer day.

PS: I've tried this beer with sediment mixed in as well. This obviously changed the character of the beer, but it was just as enjoyable. Try it both ways.

08-11-2009 02:49:07 | More by CptAubrey
KickInTheChalice

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy honey color; a moderate head upon pouring, but it quickly fades. A few bubbles struggle up from the bottom, sustaining a thin film and ring around the glass.

Smell: Summer smell of orange, lemon, banana, with some light spiciness in the mix. Wheat and yeast provide the backbone to the smell.

Taste: Blended citrus flavors up front. Crisp feel gives it a nice kick. Sweet malt and yeast come through in the middle of the sip. The finish turns citrus again, with a hoppy floral twist. It finishes the way it starts - crisp and fresh. A very slight bitterness remains afterward. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Crisp feel, although it is almost creamy up front. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As it says on the bottle, "An American wheat ale with the color and scent of a summer afternoon." For me, this is a great brew to casually drink on a hot Midwestern summer afternoon. Crisp, refreshing taste, low-medium alcohol content, and there is something brewed in there that just reminds me of summer.

04-15-2010 01:51:00 | More by KickInTheChalice
steveh

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Strange to see that I've never reviewed this beer; staunch supporter that I am. Difficult to review to the American Pale Wheat style, but I'll be objective.

Bottled on May 3, 2010 (not terribly old).

A -- Hazy, deep golden -- yeast suspension is ghostly. Thick, light tan head that settles to a foamy cap with very nice lacing.

S -- Spicy hops, light peach citrus esters, mild DMS. All very inviting.

T -- A mildly citrus character hits first, followed by a nice balance of wheat and bready malts -- nearly Weizen-like -- even Wit-like. Finishes with spicy hops and a nice blend of graininess and citrus.

M -- Light medium body with a soft mouthfeel that finishes dry and crisp.

D -- As the 5.0 defines, Exceptional.

Those who tend to compare this to macro swill confound me, there is so much character in this brew that can't be found in any B, M, or C -- I wonder if any new beer drinker is getting beyond extreme brews.

07-02-2010 21:32:20 | More by steveh
GOBLIN

Bells Oberon

Spring is almost over and the days are gettin' long

Poured into pint glass

A: Hazy straw color

S: Wheat, citrus notes . . . Like a walk in an orange grove on a hot summer day

T: Definitely a wheat beer. Orange and lemon zest

M: Crisp and smooth

O: As far as summer brews go it doesn't get much better than this

03-08-2014 04:46:21 | More by GOBLIN
Viking

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

I don't really care for this beer's chalky yellow body, but I love that thick rocky head - it doesn't go away! Overall, a wonderful brew. Wonderful spicy aroma just hints at the complexity and richness of the flavor, which is yeasty and wheaty. Just how drinkable is this beer? Well, I bought a case on Monday and I don't see it lasting past tomorrow (Thursday).

05-15-2002 14:02:20 | More by Viking
budgood1

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is a huge hefe....my first kalamazoo brew and it seemed to have survived the trip up here overnite in hot trunk of a car (thank the beer gods). very cloudy, dark gold and thick....nice head going on here...lots of lace...tons of yeast sediment worked up...smells very citrusy...with grassy, earthy, undertones. really doesn't taste like a traditional hefe....lots of wheat malt and hops, very refreshing and lively in mouthfeel and character. in fact i have goose bumps drinking this because my beer taste buds recognize that this is something special. a superb summer brew.

07-20-2002 16:51:34 | More by budgood1
Wildman

@Betty's Fine Foods:

This was a great summer wheat beer to have at my humid, hot walk home. I have had this in a bottle, but on tap, it faired better than some of their others. It poured a cloudy golden color. It had a white head that subsided while leaving little lace(one drawback to the bar pouring). The aroma was of hops, citrus and lightly of some spice. The flavor was of hops, malt and citrus. The finish was a bit citrusy tangy with some light bread overtones. Good beer for a hot summer day

07-22-2002 17:07:58 | More by Wildman
meathookjones

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured out a very murky and cloudy yellow with a white head that almost shot up over the top of the glass. The head stuck around for a bit and left rings of lace as this was drank. The aroma was yeasty with a bit of spice and a lemony zip to it. Also there was a good amount of sweetness present in the nose. The flavor started off with doughy malt and lemony notes and a bit of banana. There were also notes of various spices through that taste. It finished with a dry spicy after taste. Mouthfeel is medium and feels pretty heavy on the tongue. This is pretty tasty and wheat beers are usually not my thing, but I could drink a lot of this if I was in the mood. Great example of the style and a great beer.

10-11-2004 13:11:44 | More by meathookjones
bahumutx

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the first beer that I tried after turning 21 recently. The first bottle that I had I did not like but I gave it another chance and now love it!!! I think it is great to have on a hot summer’s day. It has a very unique taste with a hint of wheat in my opinion. Keep up the great work Larry Bell!!!! I would recommend this to anybody that is looking for something on a hot summer’s day.

Updated taste information: After having another glass of oberon I can really pick out a slight bitterness/citrus flavor at first which then finishes out with a ending wheat taste. It has a smooth mouthfeel also.

08-01-2005 23:49:33 | More by bahumutx
wingnutter

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden color with some nice sediment at the bottom - ya gotta love that.

Smell is spicy and wheaty, with a slight lemony/orange zest.

Taste: This is a damn good beer. Slightly hoppy, with a delicate sweetness taking center stage. Spicy notes make an appearance but dont overpower in any way, with a nice, lazy crispness. Carbonation is near perfect, giving it a smooth, silky mouthfeel without being heavy at all. This is just a great, refreshing summer beer, perfect for the beach, by the pool, or after mowing the lawn.

Another winner from Bell's. This is what summer beer should be.

07-09-2006 06:01:22 | More by wingnutter
Briarbush

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very similar to a sunrise yellow and very opaque and cloudy. There was a little head that remained for most of the drink.

Smell: Faint orange and not much else.

Taste: Nice wheat backbone with a definite orange flavor that is isn’t overpowering.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right and makes the beer very unique. It is a little high compared to most beers; the finish is smooth with a faint orange after taste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing. This is a great dinner beer would compliment salads, chicken, and fresh fruit very nicely. It also does just find by itself.

10-20-2006 22:08:53 | More by Briarbush
mmmbeer

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. bottle, brewed with Saaz - batch 7642 (packaged 9/15/06). It pours a hazed peach with medium carbonation and a finger of off-white head that leaves moderate lacing. The aroma is pleasant, but not very aromatic, consisting of tart/nutty wheat, and notes of Saaz. It tastes of wheat, cloves, spicy, floral?, and lightly piney hops, with citrus (orange, lemon?), and a medium bitterness. Not too complex, but freakin' delicious, with the only downside being a light alcohol presence. It has a medium, lightly drying/numbing body with medium carbonation that becomes lighter, and it leaves a medium finish. Very, very nice wheat beer that went way too quickly. A definite session beer as I was sad I didn't have another bottle to consume immediately after this one. If you see this beer, make sure to buy at least a six-pack.

01-28-2007 01:50:32 | More by mmmbeer
kbutler1

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a couple of six packs just the other day her in Minneapolis.
Poured a nice yellow gold into a pint glass. Head was good but faded fairly quickly.
Smell was quite mild, but in a good way.
Mouthfeel was also good.
Slight bitter ending that reminded me of a fruit rind.
This is a beer I could drink all day!

04-04-2009 13:57:55 | More by kbutler1
Infamous7100

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

One of my favorites...just now got around to reviewing.

A: Pours a golden/strawlike color. Kind of like hte label says, "the color of a summer afternoon." Unfiltered and cloudy. About a one finger, smooth head in my pint glass. Minimal lacing.
S: Hits with a fruity/bready scent at first. Alchohol peeks through a little, but the fruits overpower it. I'm picking up a lot of lemon and orange in this. A little bit of a grapefruit as well. Some hops do make themselves known too.
T: At first I get the lemon/orange flavor along with the malty sweetness. This fades into a little bitterness as the hops come through. Together, the blend perfectly. Very crisp and smooth.
M: Mild carbonation. Mild hang in terms of the alcohol and hops. As previously stated, very crisp and smooth.
D: This has session written all over it and is the perfect outdoor brew. It doesn't fill you up, but it will satify your tastebuds.

04-19-2009 21:14:07 | More by Infamous7100
sarahspat

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

Oberon and I go way back. This beer played an integral role in epic bike rides of summers past. Makes me feel all nostalgic and sappy to think of it. This is the very first craft beer I ever loved... this is the beer that really made me become interested in beer, which brought me to Founders. After a steady diet of Founders beers, Oberon began to seem weak and pitiable to me. With even more maturity, I can finally appreciate Obie for what it is: a great, super drinkable, thirst-quenching summer wheat beer. I have tried a lot of summer wheats lately and I have reached the conclusion that Oberon is indisputably one of the best. But onto business...

Batch 9116. Bottled April 30, 2009. Enjoyed on July 3, 2009.

Pours a very cloudy golden orange... and I'm resisting the urge to compare the color to the sun. Tons of suspended particles and yeast. Head is off-white with flecks of cinnamon. No lacing; not much retention.

Smells of freshly cut grass, oranges and lemons. Tastes the same. Crazy delicious orange flavors.

Medium body; extremely drinkable. Definitely one of the best summer beers I've had. I am no longer resentful of the insane marketing and omnipresence of this beer. All of its accolades and its popularity are well-deserved. I'm glad I can appreciate this brew again (not so hops-crazed anymore). Brings back good memories.

07-04-2009 15:09:52 | More by sarahspat
Spiekerbox

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

Have had this both on tap and in bottle (this review) already this year

A- Cloudy orange-amber color, pours with slight head that dissipates quickly.

S- Notes of citrus with a hop smell present that is not overpowering, overall not a strong scented beer in general.

T- Delicious beer that has a slight hoppy flavor and hints of orange, with a wheat malt base that is very noticeable.

M- Crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation not a strong aftertaste but what is there is welcome.

D- Could drink this all day and night, and just reminds you of summer. Refreshing beverage that can't be ignored once it is started. I wait all winter for this beer to be released, Oberon day is the official start of spring for me.

03-31-2010 03:21:38 | More by Spiekerbox
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.