2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,151 | Reviews: 1,514 | Show All Ratings:
smerkinb

1.55/5  rDev -59.3%

Poured a dull light orange with almost a 1" head. Very minimal lacing. Smells a bit soapy, musty--I can't really detect any malt/bread/yeast or anything else for that matter.

Tastes like soap. Some faint malts struggling valiently to get to my taste buds, but they never quite make it. Mostly I feel like I took a big gulp of dirty dishwater.

I heard such great things about this beer, read so many positive reviews and was really looking forward to it. For those reasons I may try one more to be fair but this was pretty awful for me.

From notes.

08-06-2008 00:04:22 | More by smerkinb
trumick

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Poured a straw cloudy color with small head that quickly disapeared. Smell is of grainy wheat and a sweet, citrus, yeasty almost unpleasant scent. The taste is a real disappointment, it is just sweet. A sugary sweet taste with no balance whatsoever. It leaves the palate with the same sweetness. It does have nice carbonation but the sweet taste is too overpowering. I could only drink one. Give me some salty peanuts for cryin out loud. I Won't drink this one again.

08-25-2004 03:39:55 | More by trumick
Crosling

Colorado

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Extremely cloudy tangerine colored juice in color with a thin, creamy head. Doughy, lemony, citrusy nose with a light hint of orange, which may smell more like cheap tang. Raw, hearty wheat with a bit of skunk and spoiled fruits. Hoppy for an American wheat, with spicy, floral notes. Pretty full-bodied and creamy for a wheat beer. Not good, at all.

04-01-2006 04:32:19 | More by Crosling
nortmand

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

That's a yeasty bitch! Pours opaque orange, with a ton of yeast floaties(too damn many), I'd better find something to read on the pot for tomorrow morning.
Smell's,,,,neutral. Maybe some citrusy wheat?
Just not real flavorful, but there is a bit of wheatiness and a background citrus flavor. Oh, wait yeast sandwich. Virtually no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel.... well, it''s carbonated, that's gotta count for something, right?
Actually pretty drinkable, not much there, so not much there to complain about. Oooohhh... Larry Bell, you're tricky.

10-20-2004 23:32:27 | More by nortmand
ralree

Maryland

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

A: Gold, extremely cloudy and full of ... stuff. The stuff seems to be suspended like dirt in a lemon jello. Actually looks kinda gross, but whatever. No head to speak of. Meh.

S: Smells sour, overbitter, too grainy. Reminds me of cheap beer. This doesn't look good so far.

T: Tastes rather awful. I think this one might have gone bad. But Bell's Brew Finder says it should be good until November, so I can't be blamed. Reminds me of the bland German beers I've tried, with extra bitterness and less sweetness. Pretty awful - was expecting a lot more. Aftertaste of dirt. Maybe I've lost all taste for wheat beer.

M: Overcarbonated, medium-light body, astringent, dry. Doesn't help the flavor.

D: I can't drink any more. I'm going to pour it out. Maybe I have a bad sample, maybe I just don't like this style, but I can't stand this one. It's not worth the pain to me.

10-13-2010 02:42:19 | More by ralree
Soonami

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

Batch 10264 from the bottle Bell's Oberon, poured into a Brooklyn Tulip.

This beer is off. I'm not sure if this what it is intended to taste like, but it smells and tastes like soybean milk. It has a weird cereal, bean-y smell and taste. I could not finish it and poured it out. It didn't taste very much like wheat or citrus, but mostly like old tofu. Not good.

04-28-2011 05:02:26 | More by Soonami
travipa

Kentucky

1.98/5  rDev -48%

was hoping for "shock-top" goodness; instead i got warm beer at the bar door smell. honestly folks, who recommends this stuff? a friend mistakenly bought me this smelly offering. told me he had some ipa. sorry buddy you bought me foul-smelling brew.

cloudy pour
insulting smell
flat taste
no finish

10 bottles left from 12 pack
one broke on the street in front of his house
very ofensive aroma. sorry oberon, something is wrong.

09-01-2011 20:25:45 | More by travipa
junker18

District of Columbia

If this was a macro attempt at a craft brew, it wouldn't get a C rating. For as bland as it is, I'm actually kind of angry it has such a high ABV, which precludes me from having 6 of them on a Saturday afternoon without getting more sauced than I'd prefer.

04-08-2011 20:19:36 | More by junker18
rings

2.23/5  rDev -41.5%

Oberon is now huge and is Bell's top selling beer, with annual release parties at local taverns and beer stores each spring. You know a beer is ubiquitous when I can purchase a six pack at Walmart, accompanied by the stupid smiley face logo promoting a price drop to $7.54 per six pack (don't ask me why I was at a Walmart, but it wasn't intentional).

Having long consumed it, I was obviously familiar with the beer. I never drink it with friggin' fruit, but that's just me. Oberon pours pale orange or dark straw in color and the head dissipates quickly. The body is thin and there is a soft citrus aroma on the nose. The first sip strikes the upper palate with a shock of bitterness and the taste rolls back on the tongue with all the grace of a used gym sock. It lingers on with a mix of bitterness, acidity and dirty laundry. While much of the distastefulness can be covered up or balanced with the slice of orange, the same can also be said of a Corona or Sol with a lime. This really isn't an honestly pleasant quaff.

While I don't mean to be overly harsh, because the beer is palatable, it's certainly not even close to being worth all the fuss it generates. In fact, it's below average, particularly for what is supposed to be a "refreshing" summer wheat beer ... instead, it's stringent and way too bitter. There are many, many better tasting and more consistent choices out there, in my opinion.

While I love Bell's Brewery and the vast majority of their offerings--and I adore wheat beers--this just simply isn't one of them. Even though I'm obviously in the minority in that opinion judging by Oberon's sales.

02-11-2011 19:23:36 | More by rings
airohead2001

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

A - This is a tasty looking summer beer. Hazy light orange with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while. No lacing, but that is expected of a light summer brew.

S - Smell is what you would expect for a wheat beer. Cloves, light sugar, orange, tangerine. Very little hop profile.

T - So this is pretty much where things fall apart. Cloves. And some bananas. And that's it. No citrus hops, no malt backbone. Cloves and bananas. And more cloves.

M - Thin and bubbly. The carbonation was so strong that the overpowering taste hits the roof of your mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D - This is just about as drinkable as your typical Miller Lite or High Life. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm unwinding with my buddies and looking for a night out, nothing beats 8 or 9 Miller Lites or High Lifes - but, that is certainly not what I'm looking for in a craft beer.

06-18-2010 13:32:17 | More by airohead2001
CoalPorter

2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a Naragansett pint glass. (Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!)

a - visibly effervescent, 2 inches of sticky white head that collapses very slowly leaving light lacing, orangey gold color, very hazy but still slightly translucent

s - subtle notes of orange and wheat, but not much aroma overall

T - some wheat cracker flavors to start, slightly sweet in the middle, with mild bitterness finishing out that lingers

M - bubbly and light, somewhat cleansing, but dissipating almost immediately

D - I found this a forgettable example of a summer wheat. Not quite refreshingly clean enough to be a lawnmower beer, but also without the depth of flavor and complexity that makes great wheat beers. First thing I haven't liked from Bells.

06-20-2011 16:45:01 | More by CoalPorter
Swettenham_Shire

2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass...

Appearance: light gold color with mild lacing
Smell: pretty basic. I'm getting that Yuengling lager scent
Taste: follows the nose; nothing special, but maybe a hint of fruit/hops at the finish
Mouthfeel: smooth; easy to drink a few of these while boating in the summer
Overall: not very impressed; there are better pale wheat ales around

03-28-2014 01:46:05 | More by Swettenham_Shire
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Served on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brownsburg, IN (advertised as a Summer seasonal), in a flavor-concealing frosted glass. Not my favorite serving style, so I let it sit for about 10 to get a feel for the beer itself, not just the temp.

A: It's an orange-golden mixture, thicker than a PA, but nowhere near a bock. There's just a little bit of head, but what's there stays for the duration.

S: Nothing strong. Sweet teases in the form of berry and some subtle leafiness. Really though, it's quite weak. I walked over to the jukebox at one point, and my main whiffs still comprised mostly of fried chicken from the kitchen (even with my nose in the glass). Oh well; some of the best beers I've had lacked prominence in the nose. If God wanted us to just smell beer, he wouldn't have given us taste buds. Not a deal-breaker for me, personally.

T: Uh-oh...turns out the weak nose was a warning for the taste that followed. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Some pronounced grainy qualities, but other than that, it's a weak BMC. Hops are just an afterthought once you get past the disappointing skunkiness.

M: Super carbonated, even for a draft. I can only imagine it's to distract from the taste...

O: No thank you. It's strange, because I've heard such good things about this brewer (usually with an honorable mention of their Two-Hearted Ale). What are you doing, Bell's? Just because it's summer doesn't mean you can sell cheap, cold beer with less flavor for the same price.

04-25-2011 22:09:41 | More by BarryMFBurton
merryjoulton

Arkansas

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass and had to double check to make sure I wasn't pouring a bmc... color is very light yellow with no head at all to speak of even with a vigorous pour. Minimal bubbling in the body. Smells like the back alley of a college bar, just generic malt and stale hops. Mouthfeel is on the verge of being flat. Overall a disappointing brew.

03-25-2012 18:48:33 | More by merryjoulton
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap.

Hazy golden color very cloudy with all the suspended yeast particles floating around. Tall white creamy head dissapated on the quick side,leaves a coat of lace down the glass.

The aroma were clean on the faint side,grassy,fruity with some light hints of carmell. Smells reminisent of apricot nectar a combination of the fruityness and the yeast character, no real wheat aromas were present. A slight perfumyness also noted.

Bitter dried fruit tastes,tart an apricot/peach type fruityness,odd taste for a wheat,finishes with an unripen fruit taste and hints of citrus.

Grainy texture, some roughness on the palate,not like that of a typicla wheat. Odd tasting beer,not one of my favorites from Bell's. Might need to get used to the taste of this one. Wouldn't really want to have another.

05-09-2007 01:39:41 | More by jcdiflorio
BWH3

Bell's Oberon 12 oz Bottle at 40 F in a Pint Glass

A: golden straw colored beer with foamy white head with above average retention. The beer is very effervescent and is only slightly hazy.

S: the aroma is grainy with a strong wheat flavor that dominates the nose. Low hops aroma almost undetectable. No banana or clover esters from the yeast. No citrus or spiciness from the hops.

T: strong wheat taste which lasts throughout the sampling. Little residual sweetness and finishes dry and crisp. No spiciness from the hops, wheat, or yeast. No citrus or floral qualities from the hops. Wheat taste is grainy, not sharp or tart.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation.

D: Sessionable, but that is about it. Take it to a BBQ or the beach because this certainly won't offend anyone (nor will it leave them with a lasting impression of how good a Bell's beer can be).

04-17-2007 19:07:36 | More by BWH3
nicksta

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

This beer confuses me. The look was a solid, dark yellow beer with a thick foam head. The smell was wheat and citrus. I'm thinking of a breakfast bed. The beer was thick and the foam was velvety. The drinkitbility was okay for its thickness. However, the taste was terrible. A quick slam of semi-sweet citrus that is too heavy on the lemon. The beer ends with an unbalanced bitterness for more than half of the drink. Maybe I got a bad mini-keg.

07-16-2009 23:09:56 | More by nicksta
jhu1995

Maryland

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly cloudy, straw color with a fluffy white head that lingers. Some very faint spicy aroma but not much else. Taste was bland with not much going on. Some pepper notes and some mild bitterness. Light-bodied. A somewhat uninteresting and non-descript beer.

08-08-2009 01:48:44 | More by jhu1995
maximum12

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

On-tap at The Apple Valley Tap House.

Pour is classic wheat: clouded yellow. Smell is the same: clouded yellow.

Oberon has a cult following, but I keep trying, & for the life of me can't figure out why. One sip & there's the nice wheat, but also a ton or orange & grain that bash each over the head & can't agree on anything. This beer always seems disjointed to me. The tastes that come together in other brews don't play nice here.

Walked away from about 11 ounces. I've tried several times, & now I give up. It's a Bell's beer I simply don't like.

08-05-2012 02:50:40 | More by maximum12
shippos

courtesy of ninjaworm via bif 13

poured a hazy yellow with a large frothy white head. freash grain aroma with a doughy raw bread quality. sweet body at first and a fairly balanced mass-appealing taste to follow. probably pretty good during the summer, but note any other time for my tastes. I do get a citrusy note in the end followed by some alcohol.

12-14-2004 04:32:05 | More by shippos
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -31%

Pours a hazy deep golden yellow witha thin ivory head. Smells of crisp wheat malt.

Tastes of grainy wheat. Hints of lemon and farina (!?!). A bit bland really. Mouth is crisp. Pretty drinkable I guess. A half step up from most boring American wheats but that is faint praise indeed.

07-09-2005 02:10:32 | More by ViveLaChouffe
samie85

2.63/5  rDev -31%

Reviewed from notes; originally consumed 5/02/10.

A-Pours a hazy yellow with a two finger white head. Suspended yeast floaties.

S-Very mild citrus- lemon and lime. A bit of wheat as well.

T-Lemon and lime bitterness upfront with not a whole lot else going on. A little bit of perceivable wheat to balance things a bit.

M-Light bodied with ample, prickly carbonation.

D-I'm not a big fan of the lemon/lime hop profile or of Pale Wheat's it seems. If this beer funds Bell's to continue to make great beers like Two Hearted, and Hopslam though, then so be it.

05-13-2010 05:34:34 | More by samie85
Miketwolf21

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember last year liking this beer much more. I remember a full and nearly creamy wheat palate with herbal and slightly citrusy hops that made it a perfect beer for summer. This year it tastes much more flat. I bought this the week it came out so it was fresh and as I moved through the six pack the beer did not show any colors. Boring taste that does not have any inspiration in it.
Well here is a review of this years first batch:
Served at various temperatures, I found that having it cold actually kept the beer tasting crisp, which is better than just boring. A moderate amount of carbonation revealed spicy hops and cracked wheat flavors, but the scent was mixed with more cardboardy and metallic flavors. Still it was a muted nose.
The flavor was refreshing for the first drink but as I continued through the beer, I found nothing intriguing. Which is not all bad if the flavors are clean and vivid. But the flavors just don't come alive. The hops are too muted for such a bland wheat profile. No creaminess either. The carbonation is pretty good, but this just seems watery and minerally.
Too bad, I used to love the price and availability of this summer beer. This could use some lovin'. I taste no inspiration in this beer.

04-09-2011 18:59:10 | More by Miketwolf21
PatYoda

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not terrible I suppose. Hazy Orange with no head. Where is the carbonation? I've had it from several places with the same problem. Aroma is too subdued for my tastes. Some nice things there though, with citrus and a wheaty grain taste dominating. Not much spice or banana. Taste doesn't have as much of a zing to it, tastes a little muddled to me. About the same flavors as detected in the smell. A little bit of bitterness on the finish is nice. Body is a bit heavy without the carbonation to hold it up in the mouth though.

09-14-2005 22:03:37 | More by PatYoda
psyphin

Missouri

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Hazy golden yellow, two finger head with little lacing.

S - A very unpleasant yeast phenolic is popping out at me mixed with some mellow wheat undertones.

T - Its definitely a yeast derived aroma and flavor I dont care for in this beer. The underneath malt is mild and theres no hop flavor.

M - Right to style. Medium light body mated to a good amount of carbonation

D - I had a difficult time getting through this one. Obviously its a popular beer but something in the yeast is really killing it for me.

10-09-2009 19:23:09 | More by psyphin
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.