Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 6,289
2.37/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

2.41/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured into a Naragansett pint glass. (Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!)

a - visibly effervescent, 2 inches of sticky white head that collapses very slowly leaving light lacing, orangey gold color, very hazy but still slightly translucent

s - subtle notes of orange and wheat, but not much aroma overall

T - some wheat cracker flavors to start, slightly sweet in the middle, with mild bitterness finishing out that lingers

M - bubbly and light, somewhat cleansing, but dissipating almost immediately

D - I found this a forgettable example of a summer wheat. Not quite refreshingly clean enough to be a lawnmower beer, but also without the depth of flavor and complexity that makes great wheat beers. First thing I haven't liked from Bells.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass and had to double check to make sure I wasn't pouring a bmc... color is very light yellow with no head at all to speak of even with a vigorous pour. Minimal bubbling in the body. Smells like the back alley of a college bar, just generic malt and stale hops. Mouthfeel is on the verge of being flat. Overall a disappointing brew.

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap.

Hazy golden color very cloudy with all the suspended yeast particles floating around. Tall white creamy head dissapated on the quick side,leaves a coat of lace down the glass.

The aroma were clean on the faint side,grassy,fruity with some light hints of carmell. Smells reminisent of apricot nectar a combination of the fruityness and the yeast character, no real wheat aromas were present. A slight perfumyness also noted.

Bitter dried fruit tastes,tart an apricot/peach type fruityness,odd taste for a wheat,finishes with an unripen fruit taste and hints of citrus.

Grainy texture, some roughness on the palate,not like that of a typicla wheat. Odd tasting beer,not one of my favorites from Bell's. Might need to get used to the taste of this one. Wouldn't really want to have another.

2.56/5  rDev -33.2%

Served on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brownsburg, IN (advertised as a Summer seasonal), in a flavor-concealing frosted glass. Not my favorite serving style, so I let it sit for about 10 to get a feel for the beer itself, not just the temp.

A: It's an orange-golden mixture, thicker than a PA, but nowhere near a bock. There's just a little bit of head, but what's there stays for the duration.

S: Nothing strong. Sweet teases in the form of berry and some subtle leafiness. Really though, it's quite weak. I walked over to the jukebox at one point, and my main whiffs still comprised mostly of fried chicken from the kitchen (even with my nose in the glass). Oh well; some of the best beers I've had lacked prominence in the nose. If God wanted us to just smell beer, he wouldn't have given us taste buds. Not a deal-breaker for me, personally.

T: Uh-oh...turns out the weak nose was a warning for the taste that followed. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Some pronounced grainy qualities, but other than that, it's a weak BMC. Hops are just an afterthought once you get past the disappointing skunkiness.

M: Super carbonated, even for a draft. I can only imagine it's to distract from the taste...

O: No thank you. It's strange, because I've heard such good things about this brewer (usually with an honorable mention of their Two-Hearted Ale). What are you doing, Bell's? Just because it's summer doesn't mean you can sell cheap, cold beer with less flavor for the same price.

2.56/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

16 oz can poured into a Pilsner glass.

Super cloudy yellow with 1 finger of white head. Yeast sediment litters the glass.

Tangy wheat, lemon, and sourdough.

Fresh baked white bread along with some sourdough. Tangy wheat, lemon, and pear. Finishes with some grassy bitterness.

Medium-light bodied, crisp, and semi-dry with a moderate bitterness for the style.

Wheaty and bready yet very boring...

2.56/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly cloudy, straw color with a fluffy white head that lingers. Some very faint spicy aroma but not much else. Taste was bland with not much going on. Some pepper notes and some mild bitterness. Light-bodied. A somewhat uninteresting and non-descript beer.

2.59/5  rDev -32.4%

Bell's Oberon 12 oz Bottle at 40 F in a Pint Glass

A: golden straw colored beer with foamy white head with above average retention. The beer is very effervescent and is only slightly hazy.

S: the aroma is grainy with a strong wheat flavor that dominates the nose. Low hops aroma almost undetectable. No banana or clover esters from the yeast. No citrus or spiciness from the hops.

T: strong wheat taste which lasts throughout the sampling. Little residual sweetness and finishes dry and crisp. No spiciness from the hops, wheat, or yeast. No citrus or floral qualities from the hops. Wheat taste is grainy, not sharp or tart.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation.

D: Sessionable, but that is about it. Take it to a BBQ or the beach because this certainly won't offend anyone (nor will it leave them with a lasting impression of how good a Bell's beer can be).

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

On-tap at The Apple Valley Tap House.

Pour is classic wheat: clouded yellow. Smell is the same: clouded yellow.

Oberon has a cult following, but I keep trying, & for the life of me can't figure out why. One sip & there's the nice wheat, but also a ton or orange & grain that bash each over the head & can't agree on anything. This beer always seems disjointed to me. The tastes that come together in other brews don't play nice here.

Walked away from about 11 ounces. I've tried several times, & now I give up. It's a Bell's beer I simply don't like.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a hazy deep golden yellow witha thin ivory head. Smells of crisp wheat malt.

Tastes of grainy wheat. Hints of lemon and farina (!?!). A bit bland really. Mouth is crisp. Pretty drinkable I guess. A half step up from most boring American wheats but that is faint praise indeed.

2.64/5  rDev -31.1%

courtesy of ninjaworm via bif 13

poured a hazy yellow with a large frothy white head. freash grain aroma with a doughy raw bread quality. sweet body at first and a fairly balanced mass-appealing taste to follow. probably pretty good during the summer, but note any other time for my tastes. I do get a citrusy note in the end followed by some alcohol.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Reviewed from notes; originally consumed 5/02/10.

A-Pours a hazy yellow with a two finger white head. Suspended yeast floaties.

S-Very mild citrus- lemon and lime. A bit of wheat as well.

T-Lemon and lime bitterness upfront with not a whole lot else going on. A little bit of perceivable wheat to balance things a bit.

M-Light bodied with ample, prickly carbonation.

D-I'm not a big fan of the lemon/lime hop profile or of Pale Wheat's it seems. If this beer funds Bell's to continue to make great beers like Two Hearted, and Hopslam though, then so be it.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

This beer confuses me. The look was a solid, dark yellow beer with a thick foam head. The smell was wheat and citrus. I'm thinking of a breakfast bed. The beer was thick and the foam was velvety. The drinkitbility was okay for its thickness. However, the taste was terrible. A quick slam of semi-sweet citrus that is too heavy on the lemon. The beer ends with an unbalanced bitterness for more than half of the drink. Maybe I got a bad mini-keg.

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember last year liking this beer much more. I remember a full and nearly creamy wheat palate with herbal and slightly citrusy hops that made it a perfect beer for summer. This year it tastes much more flat. I bought this the week it came out so it was fresh and as I moved through the six pack the beer did not show any colors. Boring taste that does not have any inspiration in it.
Well here is a review of this years first batch:
Served at various temperatures, I found that having it cold actually kept the beer tasting crisp, which is better than just boring. A moderate amount of carbonation revealed spicy hops and cracked wheat flavors, but the scent was mixed with more cardboardy and metallic flavors. Still it was a muted nose.
The flavor was refreshing for the first drink but as I continued through the beer, I found nothing intriguing. Which is not all bad if the flavors are clean and vivid. But the flavors just don't come alive. The hops are too muted for such a bland wheat profile. No creaminess either. The carbonation is pretty good, but this just seems watery and minerally.
Too bad, I used to love the price and availability of this summer beer. This could use some lovin'. I taste no inspiration in this beer.

2.67/5  rDev -30.3%

Supremely disappointed after all I've heard about this beer (and considering how well-ranked it is by my respectable peers). Not well-balanced AT ALL. This beer has its attributes, but I'd go for a Blue Moon any day.

Color was orange-tinted and holds its head pretty well, though does not pour particularly thick. Looks like a bubbling sediment-laden riverbed.

Smells awful. Kind of like Busch light, only with less of the gag-reflex.

Taste is better. Sourdough and cheddar cheese, citrus flavors of orange and lemon. But taste dissipates rather quickly and does not leave any real lasting wheat mouthfeel.

Over-carbonated and does not lend any real substance or flavor once moved around the mouth.

Finish is surprisingly smooth and

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not terrible I suppose. Hazy Orange with no head. Where is the carbonation? I've had it from several places with the same problem. Aroma is too subdued for my tastes. Some nice things there though, with citrus and a wheaty grain taste dominating. Not much spice or banana. Taste doesn't have as much of a zing to it, tastes a little muddled to me. About the same flavors as detected in the smell. A little bit of bitterness on the finish is nice. Body is a bit heavy without the carbonation to hold it up in the mouth though.

2.72/5  rDev -29%

No head, lacing, little carbonation. Just a cloudy, orange-juice color.

Tiny aroma of wheat and a little citrus.

Taste was very bland, citrusy with a touch of malt.

OK mouthfeel for a wheat beer but no distinctive flavor or aftertaste.

Barely drinkable. A real disappointment. Maybe something wrong or outdated with the keg?

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

A - Hazy golden yellow, two finger head with little lacing.

S - A very unpleasant yeast phenolic is popping out at me mixed with some mellow wheat undertones.

T - Its definitely a yeast derived aroma and flavor I dont care for in this beer. The underneath malt is mild and theres no hop flavor.

M - Right to style. Medium light body mated to a good amount of carbonation

D - I had a difficult time getting through this one. Obviously its a popular beer but something in the yeast is really killing it for me.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured a light murky yellow with little to no head.

The smell was very light and rather boring with just a little hint of biscuit.

The taste was pretty straight forward. Not really any bitterness that could be picked up with a little malt on the back.

It is a summer beer for sure but it is just too boring for me with many other better options out there.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Pale yellow-gold with 1/8 of an inch of head, slightly cloudy

S- Slight wheat with some hints of alcohol

T- Wheaty and crisp overall light and a slight hop in there

M- Very little activity

D- Goes down easy not much to this beer really. I won't seek this out but not so bad as to not have one if offered.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

From scrawled notes:
Arrives at the table with some doubts. The beer is a super light, almost yellow orange but with a decent head, which quickly recedes. Aroma is of malt and wheat. I don't get many bannana or hop notes from the nose. Taste is well balanced but just lacking something for me. Starts grassy, has a little citrus kick in the middle and finishes with wheat accents. Mouthfeel seems a little too thin in my opinion. While it's very drinkable, this just does nothing for me. In a way I was hoping for beer more in the vain of Gumballhead, but what i got was more crossover beer/Berghoff-esque. Will try again, but I'm not too excited about it.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Heard so highly of it so maybe got my hopes up. Pours very nicely. Good head. But something about the taste is off to me. A little too hoppy for a wheat for me.

2.81/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small head.

The aroma is quite a muted wheat beer. Lots of malt, a little bit of grass, lemon and wheat.

Flavor starts out thick and bready. It is slightly sweet from lemons and honey. Unknown spices make this a somewhat unique beer

Mouthful is thick and slightly syrupy. Well carbonated.

Too thick for my drinkability enjoyment, including a bit sweet.

This is not my type of beer, but certainly could be for others. There is certainly a nice complex flavor which will make someone happy.

2.81/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Hazed pale gold, white head doesn't have much retention or lace.

S/T/M - Stays on the sweet side through the profile. Wheat aroma up front, then rolls into honey sweetness, then just feels and tastes like a load of wet wheat and grain in your mouth. Not crisp or clean on the finish with lasting sweetness. Not refreshing like a summer beer should be. Won't be getting this one again.

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

$ 3.50/16 oz draft at Unos’ at Birch Run
Aroma of malt
Head chopped by bartender – what remains is small (1.5 cm), off white, creamy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring
Lacing OK – small rings with small bubbles
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor begins bitter followed by a short generic citrus burst; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl; ends quickly, no aftertaste.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

This is classified as a pale wheat ale on BA. What I had was unlike any wheat beer I’ve ever had. I last had it in 2006 and I guess I’ll wait another eight years before I try it again.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.