Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
CreamCity

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into pint glass

S- Herbal, citrus

A- 1 finger head, pale amber color, low carbonation, cloudy, looks dull/flat. Good lacing.

T- Slightly citrusy, wheaty with hints of yeast

M- Medium, smooth carbonation, tastes..juicy

O- Complex, can't taste alcohol

06-27-2012 07:30:20 | More by CreamCity
spoony

Colorado

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%

From a 16 oz can into a nonic.

A-A short-lived off-white head leaves a bit of lacing on the glass as it fades. The beer is murky and straw in color with only a stray bubble or two of carbonation visible.

S-The aroma is musty with wet wheat grain dominating my palate. There is a touch of lemony bite in there, as well as some vague hop aromas, but also some metallic grain and a bit of skunkiness. Maybe my can isn't fresh?

T-The taste follows the smell mostly with slightly sweet, doughy wheat flavors, a touch of lemon, some vague grassy hop flavors, and a bit of skunkiness. It is quenchable, but not terribly interesting.

M-The heft is light to medium with a semi-crisp carbonation that attack my palate softly rather than aggressively and pairs well with the flavors and style.

O-Perhaps my can was old, but I was a bit let down by this beer. I was hoping for something quenchable but with a bit more substance than a typical wheat beer. Oberon, however, just felt watered down and hastily assembled. It isn't terrible, but I don't need to drink it again.

07-16-2014 04:01:40 | More by spoony
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.58/5  rDev -6%

2L mini-keg poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy amber color with a small white head with almost no lacing. Nose is fruity, yeasty and a bit malty.

Taste is smooth and crisp a bit sharp but very tasty and very easy drinking. Mouthfeel is creamy and refreshing. Overall it's very good.

07-02-2011 00:57:14 | More by kingcrowing
rwathree

Iowa

3.58/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle, poured into tulip glass.

I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I'll give just about anything Bell's makes a go.

A: Beautiful, opaque amber color that turns golden when held up to light. The white head dissipates quickly, leaving a fine lace. There's visible sediment, but that's never bothered me.

S: Aroma's really bizarre here, in that it reminds me of unpleasant things but is still enticing. I guess the nice thing to say is that it smells like orange rind...but borders on rotten fruit. (My wife replaced rotting fruit with soap, but also likes the aroma.) Maybe it's my poor sense of smell, but I like this despite what it's telling me.

T: Strong citrus flavors up front -- lemon zest, orange -- quickly cleared away by just the right amount of hop bitterness. There's a bit of an aspirin aftertaste at the end that fights with the citrus, but it's the latter that lingers on my tongue. Pleasant overall.

M: Surprisingly creamy for a lighter beer, and effervescent. The aspirin aftertaste does make for a somewhat gritty finish, but as with taste, this is a minor flaw.

D: My bias against the style aside, this is a very drinkable beer. Worth sipping and savoring so that some of its eccentricities can come through. I wouldn't want to drink this as a session beer, but it could easily be done on a hot day.

All told, Bell's has made an American Wheat Beer that I can get behind, which is no small feat.

07-12-2011 01:36:00 | More by rwathree
coachdonovan

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -6%

From the bottom of a 7/13/11 bottle, there is a fair amount of sediment, most of which ends up in my glass. Very, very cloudy, this reminds me of a glass of pineapple juice.

Aroma is wheaty and grainy and yeasty - about what you'd expect. Taste is similar with touches of lemon and spice and biscuit. There is a much-needed kiss of hops at the end to distinguish this American wheat from its European brethren.

It's not overly sweet or yeasty, so surely the drinkability is there. It's certainly not my favorite style, but I think I'll have no problem working my way through the case (received as a gift) as summer starts to wind down.

08-10-2011 23:39:26 | More by coachdonovan
shroompod

3.58/5  rDev -6%

5 liter mini keg, I'll call it a giant can.2007.

Pours a golden cloudy color, good head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is fairly muted, faint grassiness. This could be my allergies.

Taste is minimally hoppy. Slight lemon zest.

Mouthfeel is crisp, somewhat dry. Good Carbonation.

Drinkability of this beer is high. A good lawnmower, summer session drinker.

05-28-2007 16:06:58 | More by shroompod
DarkerTheBetter

3.58/5  rDev -6%

This beer came a honey straw color with a light fog to it and a thin creamy film of head.

Smelled of an underlying sour wheat, some dry powdery gumballs and a light grassy hop.

Tasted of light powdery wheat and baking flour with a light sticky melon and powdered sugar. I’m also getting an odd bit of lime popsicle.

The mouth feel is creamy and smooth but tragically heavy for the style with a light tingly carbonation.

Not too bad. The color’s nice, but the heaviness combined with the sweetness made this one a little much.

05-02-2006 20:18:13 | More by DarkerTheBetter
donkeyrunner

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Ugly bottle. Translucent custard colored liquid with a foamy white head. No lace but strong retention from glass top to bottom.

Smells of like a bag of oats and yeasty wheat funk.

Tastes like lemon citrus and wheat. Mild herbal hop in back lingers for a drying aftertaste. Pretty standard stuff here albiet done well.

For what it's worth I don't like wheat beers and I liked this one. Goes good with a sunny day.

05-17-2009 22:39:23 | More by donkeyrunner
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours yellow to orangey, with a creamy head that exhibited decent retention. Hoppiness is not prominent in aroma or flavor but in balance with taste. As would be expected in an American wheat, there are no prominent esters more commonly associated with Bavarian wheats. Tasted slightly sweet, caramelly and appealing, with a dry finish. Surprisingly, does not have a prominent grainy wheat flavor but seems more like a mildly hopped American pale ale. While not a complex beer, it is a decent summertime quencher.

08-21-2008 15:29:44 | More by pweis909
longjohnsilver

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Fresh dry hay taste with a good bitterness. Has sour notes of a dark cherry. Overall well balanced without being overly complex. Very drinkable white. Not for the sweet tooth.

Minimal head as it was poured.

Smell was too subtle to rate in this environment.

05-06-2014 17:15:01 | More by longjohnsilver
davey101

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -6%

On tap, had a few ten ounce pours into a tulip glass. Pours a golden yellow body with a small white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is of wheat, grass, light spice, and some citric hops. Flavor follows the nose. Somewhat boring, but quite refreshing on a hot day.

07-15-2012 02:13:34 | More by davey101
Lolli1315

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into my pint glass. There is about a finger of head, hazy orange color. Seems to be a lot of particles floating in the beer. Not very much lacing.

S- Immediately hit with the smell of citrus and in particular it is lemon and orange, the orange seeming to come through the most.

T- As expected, there is a huge citrus taste. The lemon comes through a lot more even though I felt I could pick up more orange in the smell. The lemon is a little to much for me.

M- Nice amount of carbonation in this beer and medium bodied. I think this is one of the most intriguing parts of this beer, works well.

D- The lemon in this beer is a little heavy for me. It certainly is not bad, but I can only enjoy that heavy lemon taste so much. Great for a summer day though when you just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a nice beer.

08-06-2009 20:52:35 | More by Lolli1315
MadCat

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Served on tap at the Taphouse on Queensway in Hampton, VA.

Appearance: Served in a pint glass, a light ambery color, one finger of white head, some lacing

Smell: Wheaty, a little hoppy, some barley malt, not too strong of an aroma

Taste: More wheat flavor, decent hop bitterness, but none of the classic Hefeweizen flavors (which is why it is an American Pale Wheat Ale)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, good carbonation, kinda creamy feel

Overall: Good, but not as good as I was hoping for. This was the only Bell's brew they had at the Taphouse, so that is why I picked it. I don't intend to buy this again, but I will still try other Bell's brews.

06-08-2011 01:08:02 | More by MadCat
beveragecaptain

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pint glass poured at Come Back Inn in Madison, WI. Hazy orange with half an inch of white foam. The aroma is a little weak: some lemon and apricot, not much wheat. Tastes like a fruity pale ale. Not much wheat flavor. Crisp lemon. Mouthfeel is thin. Sure this beer is quite quaffable, but other than that it is not impressive. A decent summer beer, but I don't get the cult following.

09-11-2005 19:52:10 | More by beveragecaptain
TrappistJohnMD

Mississippi

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dehydrated urine yellow in Bell's tulip.

Smell is nice and refreshing with hints of lemon and fresh cut grass.

Taste is pale malts and straw. Lemon zest come through but not as strongly as with the smell. Just not that much going on here for me.

Mouthfeel is light bodied but nicely carbonated.

Overall this was o.k. Not that complex, but refreshing for a summer day.

08-21-2012 01:01:55 | More by TrappistJohnMD
jdubjacket

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Had two bottles - one for me and one for my dad. Pours a murky orange. Very little carbonation in one of the beers while the other is completely flat. Smell is mildly spicy and earthy. Taste is pretty average. Some citrus and wheat flavors come out, but not a whole lot else, unfortunately. A pretty average brew, but good for a hot day.

07-21-2008 02:30:15 | More by jdubjacket
Nuke77

Tennessee

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured into an Allagash glass the beer presents straw- colored, light yellow and cloudy. If poured and served too cold there is a significant amount of yeast floating around. The smell is very subtle but does get more yeasty as the beer warms up a bit. The taste is light and refreshing with a very light and fizzy mouth feel. Overall this is a delightful little hot weather brew that I could drink all day.

03-31-2012 18:02:50 | More by Nuke77
Bitter_Echo

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours a cloudy yellow-ish cream with incredible invited 'ick'. Yumm. Smells saison-like in a way, fresh, rural, bready; off notes muted and inviting. Taste is malty, grain, slightly bitter, creamy. Hinting notes of banana and lemon citrus. Some sustain. Mouth-fell is creamy, substantive and refreshing with fair to medium carbonation.A good solid, well constructed craft beer. I've looked at this for year never trying, but want to discover other hoppy ales more often than not so haven't reached for this until now. Yet it is a well constructed American ale derived from hefe-weizen style, and I see that shouldn't ignore.

08-28-2012 23:52:22 | More by Bitter_Echo
xgrigorix

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Twelve ounce brown bottle - no freshness / bottling date.

Pours cloudy yellow / orange with a fluffy white head that won't quite. Loads of sticky lace left behind.

Nose is clean and fresh, with citrusy lemon notes.

Has substantial body, smooth & creamy. Is this really a wheat beer?

Sweet & raw grain flavors up front, goes slightly spicy in the middle. Finishes lemony, tart, tangy, & dry.

This one just begs for a piece of cheese to enjoy with it!

07-07-2003 11:57:02 | More by xgrigorix
strattor

Idaho

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured a hazy orange due to unfiltered bottle conditioning. Nice thick head with good retention.

Subtle aroma of citrus, some spice, and a little creaminess.

Flavor is bready, a little spicy, with subtle citrus flavors. I'd say the yeasty, bready flavors are most dominant, making this a beer with a somewhat subdued flavor.

Nice mouthfeel. Pretty smooth and creamy, but with adequate carbonation to keep things lively.

For whatever reason, I never found myself wanting two ina row of these. It seemed a little a heavier than some other wheat ales I've had.

A tasty beer, but a little let down after all the hype I heard. I'd go for another sixer, but wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up.

04-17-2006 21:31:57 | More by strattor
ncvbc

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Slightly above average beer. Pours a hazy golden yellow with decent head that fades quickly. Smell is of citrus, yeast, and wheat. Pretty good but nothing stands out. Taste is much of the same. Not bad by any means but lacking in character. True to the style, though. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Carbonation is present here. Drinkability is the only 4 given. Again, the beer is slightly above average to me and even with the 5.8% this Pale Wheat Ale contains, it is quite easy to enjoy on a hot day like today was. Bell's is definitely one of my favorite breweries, and if this is the worst they can offer, there isn't too much wrong that can be done. Ahhh, thirst quencher.

06-06-2007 23:54:23 | More by ncvbc
Northsider

3.58/5  rDev -6%

I had this on tap after work today.

Appearance is like all the great wit styles. Cloudy yellow, thin wheat head.

Smell was wheaty, with a little citrusiness mixed in. However not as fruity as I was expecting.

Taste was much like the smell, except the citrus flavor dominated a bit more than I would have liked.

Overall it wasn't at all what I was expecting. Much more of that hoppy smell and taste, a bit more bitter than I like. I was expecting something more of the hefeweizen style shown here, but not so. Not a bad beer, I'd probably get it again...however by no means a go-to selection nor anything to rave about.

07-16-2011 03:07:58 | More by Northsider
westweasel

3.58/5  rDev -6%

This beer is a very hazy, copper color with a thin white head. The aroma is dominated by a sweet, bready malt smell, combined with sweet flowery smell like a freesia.

The taste is mostly saltines and white bread initially followed by a fairly smooth, orangey bitterness. There is also some peppery spice present. This tastes like it was made with a Belgian yeast.

The moutfeel is medium with some high carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer. I can see why so many people enjoy it.

11-10-2007 04:49:03 | More by westweasel
SuperSpy

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A hazy orange-gold with a three-finger, white and sticky head. very good lacing and a very active, effervescent carbonation.

The aroma is very bready with a bit of citrus. It smells like a lemony bread dough.

A light-medium body. The flavor is immediately bready. A bit of orange comes through in the middle, along with some earthy tones that are joined by wheat in the smooth, semi-dry finish.

A pretty good little wheat ale. Very enjoyable on this warm Georgia day.

05-01-2011 21:37:13 | More by SuperSpy
propstm

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Opening Notes: This is a brew my roomates raved about and had been hesitant to try. Usually a fan of darker stouts, I was a bit "skurred" by the potential of another lighter colored beer.

Smell: Citrus and Yeast are the first two scents, a subtle welcoming aroma, I began to think this is a beer i should try rather than fear.

Pour: The bottled poured a brew into a pint glass with a hazy golden-orange color. The result was a slight head with a small amount of lacing.

Taste: Gotta admit, this is one I will drink again. citrus and wheat, those are the most evident flavors. the first brew went down well, but with the second, the flavor seemed to become harsh.

I concede, this is a good brew i will drink again, it's got a good mouthfeel, not too heavy, however distinct. this is a very drinkable beer.

05-19-2006 19:32:33 | More by propstm
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.