Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,670 | Hads: 6,248
4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a clouded straw color with a modest head that leaves nice lacing. Heavy chunks of yeast sink to the bottom right away. Spicy, citrusy aroma. Nice wheat flavor with a bit of spice and a bit of lemony citrus. Mildly bitter hop bite. Seems to be most closely related to the witbier style, though with a bit of hops to give it an American character. Highly drinkable, maybe my favorite summer seasonal.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Coarse foamy white head with minimal retention. Pours a cloudy light amber.

Smell: Wheat and citrus with some yeast notes.

Taste: Fruity wheat with a background of medium spicy hops and overtones of lemon. Sweet with lots of malt character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light. Medium to light carbonation.

Drinkability: Light and easy drinking, with a flavour profile that allows it to pair well with a wide range of foods.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz brown glass, longneck bottle. No freshness date.

This ale poured a slightly hazy, light golden yellow color with small white foam (cloudy if the lees were poured). The smell was pleasant: malt, citrus, bread, a light fruitiness. The taste was sharp with a hint of grapes and grain with a not unpleasant tartness, and a bit of floral hops in the finish. The mouthfeel was crisp and relatively clean with medium-light body. There was a pleasant long lasting, lingering tart/sour flavor that was pleasing. This ale was very drinkable and refreshing.

Thanks to feloniousmonk for this bottle!

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer says Summer to me. Yes, it does speak, and it says- shhhhh don't say anything, listen to me bubble. Look at my cloudy golden, orange color with slight white head. Smell me - I'm all about spice and everything nice, like clove and vanilla,earthy hop, and a hint of sweet malt to tempt you. Come, taste me, I'm quite yummy if I do say so myself. My aroma follows into the flavor- spicy and yeasty, clove and vanilla, citrusy hop, orange rind finish. My medium body is perfect for holding these flavors, maybe a touch heavier than needed but still refreshing as a summer quencher. I look to my glass to reply but, alas, she is gone........

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

A- This beer pours a nice golden yellow with a nice 1" head wich lingers for a bit then dies down to a light skin that floats on top. The only thing that hold this beer's loog back is it has a lot of yeast floating in it that might turn some people off. But not me.

S- At first it smells like it's going to be a vary hoppy beer but then I got a little wiff of fruit of some sorte and wheat and it smells like a real cool beer perfect for summer.

T- You get a good amount of hops right away but just a quick I got a lot of wheat and just a taste of some fruit.

M- Good carbonation right on the money. It real light great for them hot summer days after work. The hops gives it little kick also.

D- I've had this beer before twice from a bottle and one on tap at Bell's this is a really good beer of theirs they did a good job. Now that it's getting colder out I prolly wouldn't go seeking it out now, but it could easily fill out my six pac if I couldn't find a winter beer. But I would drink this all the time in the warm weather if I could.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

A golden orange, cloudy beer with a thin head. I detect the wheat presence in the aroma along with tangerines and hints of lemon. The wheat malt provides a nice texture, smooth, crisp flavor. An array of fruity flavors, but mild and very refreshing. A mild hop presence. Very drinkable, as noted on the bottle, a great summer brew.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

The folks at Bell's have taken some liberties with the American Pale Wheat style here -- with very nice results.

It pours a little darker than I expected, with good head and nice lacing as it subsided.

Smell is pure pleasure: light spices mixing with citrus, and a hoppy-grassy scent in the background.

The taste starts sweet, with orange and lemongrass, and finishes a bit tart. It's a little unusual for the style, but wow, it works well.

I wanted the mouthfeel to be a bit richer, but this isn't much to complain about. Maybe that's part of the plan by Bell's to make an unorthodox but remarkable wheat ale. One of the best of the summer.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Had this one on tap the other day at the flying saucer in raleigh, decided to pick one up before traveling back to mass.
A - The color of this beer I like; solid pale honey I'll call it. The head, not so much; thick and white for about 10-15 seconds and then it vanishes. There is almost no lacing to speak of.
S - Very bready, slightly slightly hoppy, orange.
T - Also quite bready, slightly sweet, and citrus. It starts with a bit of orange but the bulk is very solid wheat.
M - Crisp, medium, carbonation is not too bad. I'll admit the mouthfeel was better on tap, or I was just happy to be drinking this beer after a very disappointing drink at Natty Greene's.
D - If this beer was available around here I'd most likely be drinking quite a lot of it over the summer.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bell's imperial pint.
5.8% ABV, Batch #11046 PKGD 04/04/12 A

A - Poured with the sediment swirled in, the beer is a totally hazy, even complete with floaties, dirty goldenrod color. A tall light ivory foam forms and recedes slowly caking the pint in thick fingers of lace.

S - Pale malts and soft wheat overlaps the funky wet straw aroma that gives it a real earthy nose. Grassy floral hints add to this too, stemming from hops I'm sure. Clover honey and sweet orange peel fill out the background for a refreshing, summer aroma.

T - Almost cream ale-like with a cream entry through to the finish. Hints of vanilla appear, adding to the cream ale aspect. Sweeter pilsner with pale malts, a hint of soft wheat, and a straw finish all add to full flavor and body as this wheat beer finishes out with a touch of floral notes and sweet orange peel citrus.

M - Medium-full bodied and sweet but balanced with a hint of dry bitterness on the finish, Oberon is incredibly creamy feeling with a highly carbonated, tight bubble spritz. This is crisp and refreshing for a summer day!

O - While I find Oberon a bit high in alcohol for a true session summer beer it's still fantastic regardless. The flavor and body meld almost flawlessly to provide a creamy, full-flavored wheat ale treat that's loaded with great nuances to explore while maintaining that overall ease of drinkability. Oberon is a great summer brew to kick back with!

Thanks to JR for the bottles direct from Michigan
Appearance:Cloudy Yellow/Orange with a nice 3 finger head with good lacing

Smell: Sweet Bready Aroma with a touch of citrus. Something slightly off with the smell, but it did not ruin the experience.

Taste: Sweet with Mild Yeast overtones. Well Balanced. Touch of Citrus.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, Not overly carbonated

Drinkability: Polished off 2 with no problem, and wanted more, but alas, the fridge is bare. This will be my session wheat beer

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Bell's snifter.

Pour: Pours a mostly hazy, bright orange, with three fingers of frothy white head. Lots of lacing, and the head hangs around for the majority of the glass.

Smell: Big, bright wheat up front, and bready yeast. A touch of orange and lemon rind. More doughy sweetness closes out the nose.

Taste: Follows the nose exceptionally, but with a greater doughiness. Lots of bright yeast, doughy sweetness, and then some smooth light lemon and oranges. Finishes with a prolonged breadyness.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly drinkable. Really is a classic spring/summer refresher. Doughiness hangs on the palate, but in a refreshing way.

Overall: One of my favorite easy drinking summer beers. I'll always enjoy this one.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $8.99 a six pack. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy golden yellowish orange coloration. The head is a thick fluffy white coloration. The head has descent retention. The lacing on the side of the glass slides down my glass.

Smell: The beer has a pleasing yeasty breadyness. The beer has a very good peppery citrus combo.

Taste: The beer has a intial sharp yeasty flavor. This sharpness gives way to a nice sweet bready wheat flavor. The beer has a complement of the peppery citrus promised in the smell.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a very refreshing medium bodied beer. This is a very drinkable and pleasing beer. This may be my absolute favorite summer brew.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one of the best summer seasonals I have ever tasted, and growing up and going to college in Michigan, I have had many, many samples of this brew. So glad it's in North Carolina now. This is one of the few beers that a slice of orange actually accentuates, instead of hiding beer flavor.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a very cloudy yellow with a huge white foamy head. Gobs of lacing stick all the way down.

Smell is grainy with lots of wheat. There is also some citrus and a yeasty aroma.

Taste is great. There isn't much bitterness to speak of. There is obviously a distinct wheat flavor. A nice lemon-like zestiness backs it up for a nice refreshing finish. There is also a bit of sweetness that I can't quite put into words.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy yet light enough to be refreshing. The finish is crisp and clean.

What a great beer! I never thought I liked wheat beers, probably because of the strong banana flavor that is in so many of them. Oberon doesn't have that and I think that's why I like it. This beer is super refreshing and delicious. I may need a couple of cases to get through the summer.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 5L keg into a glass. This brew poured a cloudy orange gold color. Decent fluffy head, nominal lacing. Smell is a spicy grain note with hints of citrus. Taste is along those same lines with a respectable amount of hops present. A very clean refreshing brew, very drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this for the first time today after hearing much about it from my local distributor, Shangy's in Emmaus, PA. Never got any bad advice from Shangy's. They turned me on to Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale many years ago and I look forward to its annual release just before Thanksgiving. Back to Oberon. This is an outstanding summer brew perfect with spicy food or just to sit back and watch a ballgame. I usually spend a little less on lighter beers but went for the extra few bucks out of curiosity and the 5 star rating giving by Shangy's. Glad I did because this is a keeper and easily worth the extra few bucks to step up from my usual summer brews like Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn and Sam Adams. My glass is just about empty so it's time to end this review and go grab another to watch the Belmont Stakes. The horse I'm betting also begins with an "O". Hopefully it will be a winner like Oberon!

4.29/5  rDev +12%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow topped by a bright white head, two fingers tall. Good Lacing. Citrus aromas of lemongrass and straw. Sweet and citrussy. Lemon zest and an earthiness in the flavor. Bitterness only as balance. Medium-light in body, yet tongue coating.

Oberon is one of my favorite summer beers. It doesn't fit neatly in to any catagory. This beer might be best defined as a double wit, or some other clever new style expansion. It's a great beer to sit on the docks and watch the boats come in. Oberon is still THE Michigan summer thirst quencher.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A delicious wheaty-easy-to-drink beer. I know people go crazy when this hits shelves again each summer, and I only had it a couple of times a couple of years ago, but I remember it being the quintessential summer beer: light in body, light in color, and kind of sweet.

Had at US Cellular Field

A - Pour is golden\orange with a haze. Nice lacing and a quickly shrinking foam.

S - Good smell of citrus and hops. Has a scent of fresh fruit and some floral notes too.

T - Very enjoyable ale that has a base of fresh grain. Flavors or lemon are tasted, and some tropical fruit. Finish is a mild hoppy bite.

M - Very sessionable, and feels so smooth. Perfect to sit back and enjoy a summer night. Minimal carbonation. Very flavorful wheat ale.

O - First taste of something from Bell's. Now I want more.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

S: Light grainy sweetness, some soft floral notes, slight spiciness.

L: Hazy golden yellow, dense white head that dissipates.

T: Light grainy sweetness with a cracker like crispness. Mild bitterness leads to some malt sweetness before some cracker like dryness.

M: Medium light mouthfeel, medium high carbonation.

A nice malt sweetness while still being "light". Just a great summer beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

I first had Oberon in May as part of a beer dinner at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta. I was not expecting much, wheat beers (or ales) not being my "thing". Man, was I surprised. Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer is a cloudy pale orange - really quite lovely in its own right. The aroma was somewhat fruity, but not hoppy. I didn't spend too much time on admiring it, however, and tasted it - wow, talk about being blown away. This beer is simply so much more full flavored than any other wheat beer I've tasted, and perfectly balanced. Just when you think it might start to be a bit cloying, the bitterness kicks in and vice versa - a very "clean" tasting beer. I liked it so much I pretty much finished the pint before the actual appetizer course was served (Molly at the Porter was kind enough to "top off" my glass when it was). On top of all this, my wife, who is NOT a big beer drinker, truly loved it - the first time I've known her to really LOVE a beer. Since the dinner, I've purchased this in a six pack. While not quite as tasty as on draught, still a wonderful and refreshing beer to have at home.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a clear yellowish orange color with a small white head that gathers around the edges. Wheat and spicy notes in the aroma; a touch of lemon. The palate is light and refreshing, smooth on the tongue and lightly carbonated; not a bad finish. Good balance between sweetness in the malt and some dry spice and floral flavors. A little citrus in the flavor as well. Overall, refreshing and satisfying. Attention-grabbing for an American Wheat beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

While I do love this beer, part of it comes from spending way too much time in Bell's in my youth, enough so that I still want to call this beer Solsun (the original name, long story). Anyways...a great, refreshing beer, very cloudy when poured in a glass, while I generally avoid mixing my fruit and beer, an orange slice does add a nice touch to this. Great beer year around and very happy to have it now in Florida.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer is a great choice for a summer night. It has a great smooth taste that is fully refreshing and holds a hint of citrus in closing. The color I think is great, transparent, yet not to light for a beer of its kind. For those who are looking for a summer ale with more solidity I believe this to be the right choice.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a very hazy orange tinted golden color with a frothy two fingers of off-white head. Keeps a mostly full lace and leaves some very nice rings of stick on the sides.

Smells of wheat and zesty citrus, with some orange peel and slightly tart lemon. Some grass and a hint of honey sweetness round it out.

Taste also has a wheat base with a primarily orange citrusy flavor on top. It's a zesty sort of orange, slightly bitter but also fresh and a bit juicy. Tastes like the zest of an orange with a bit of sweet orange juice tossed in. There's some honey sweetness as there was in the smell, as well. Finishes with a quick snap of hop bitterness and some grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel is a hair under a medium body, still plenty crisp despite being a bit fuller in the mouth than many summer brews.

This is one of my favorite summer beers. It's tasty and refreshing, with plenty of flavor for a summer beer but also very sessionable. A real winner.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.