Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Ratings: 6,047 | Reviews: 1,718
2.64/5  rDev -30.7%

courtesy of ninjaworm via bif 13

poured a hazy yellow with a large frothy white head. freash grain aroma with a doughy raw bread quality. sweet body at first and a fairly balanced mass-appealing taste to follow. probably pretty good during the summer, but note any other time for my tastes. I do get a citrusy note in the end followed by some alcohol.

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

Reviewed from notes; originally consumed 5/02/10.

A-Pours a hazy yellow with a two finger white head. Suspended yeast floaties.

S-Very mild citrus- lemon and lime. A bit of wheat as well.

T-Lemon and lime bitterness upfront with not a whole lot else going on. A little bit of perceivable wheat to balance things a bit.

M-Light bodied with ample, prickly carbonation.

D-I'm not a big fan of the lemon/lime hop profile or of Pale Wheat's it seems. If this beer funds Bell's to continue to make great beers like Two Hearted, and Hopslam though, then so be it.

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

This beer confuses me. The look was a solid, dark yellow beer with a thick foam head. The smell was wheat and citrus. I'm thinking of a breakfast bed. The beer was thick and the foam was velvety. The drinkitbility was okay for its thickness. However, the taste was terrible. A quick slam of semi-sweet citrus that is too heavy on the lemon. The beer ends with an unbalanced bitterness for more than half of the drink. Maybe I got a bad mini-keg.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember last year liking this beer much more. I remember a full and nearly creamy wheat palate with herbal and slightly citrusy hops that made it a perfect beer for summer. This year it tastes much more flat. I bought this the week it came out so it was fresh and as I moved through the six pack the beer did not show any colors. Boring taste that does not have any inspiration in it.
Well here is a review of this years first batch:
Served at various temperatures, I found that having it cold actually kept the beer tasting crisp, which is better than just boring. A moderate amount of carbonation revealed spicy hops and cracked wheat flavors, but the scent was mixed with more cardboardy and metallic flavors. Still it was a muted nose.
The flavor was refreshing for the first drink but as I continued through the beer, I found nothing intriguing. Which is not all bad if the flavors are clean and vivid. But the flavors just don't come alive. The hops are too muted for such a bland wheat profile. No creaminess either. The carbonation is pretty good, but this just seems watery and minerally.
Too bad, I used to love the price and availability of this summer beer. This could use some lovin'. I taste no inspiration in this beer.

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%

Supremely disappointed after all I've heard about this beer (and considering how well-ranked it is by my respectable peers). Not well-balanced AT ALL. This beer has its attributes, but I'd go for a Blue Moon any day.

Color was orange-tinted and holds its head pretty well, though does not pour particularly thick. Looks like a bubbling sediment-laden riverbed.

Smells awful. Kind of like Busch light, only with less of the gag-reflex.

Taste is better. Sourdough and cheddar cheese, citrus flavors of orange and lemon. But taste dissipates rather quickly and does not leave any real lasting wheat mouthfeel.

Over-carbonated and does not lend any real substance or flavor once moved around the mouth.

Finish is surprisingly smooth and

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%

It may be age of the bottle, but this beer has significant off flavors. Will try again in the future and edit rating accordingly.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not terrible I suppose. Hazy Orange with no head. Where is the carbonation? I've had it from several places with the same problem. Aroma is too subdued for my tastes. Some nice things there though, with citrus and a wheaty grain taste dominating. Not much spice or banana. Taste doesn't have as much of a zing to it, tastes a little muddled to me. About the same flavors as detected in the smell. A little bit of bitterness on the finish is nice. Body is a bit heavy without the carbonation to hold it up in the mouth though.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

This beer has a nice full, round wheat flavor with orange notes. It is bitter on the finish, but still refreshing!

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%

No head, lacing, little carbonation. Just a cloudy, orange-juice color.

Tiny aroma of wheat and a little citrus.

Taste was very bland, citrusy with a touch of malt.

OK mouthfeel for a wheat beer but no distinctive flavor or aftertaste.

Barely drinkable. A real disappointment. Maybe something wrong or outdated with the keg?

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

A - Hazy golden yellow, two finger head with little lacing.

S - A very unpleasant yeast phenolic is popping out at me mixed with some mellow wheat undertones.

T - Its definitely a yeast derived aroma and flavor I dont care for in this beer. The underneath malt is mild and theres no hop flavor.

M - Right to style. Medium light body mated to a good amount of carbonation

D - I had a difficult time getting through this one. Obviously its a popular beer but something in the yeast is really killing it for me.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured a light murky yellow with little to no head.

The smell was very light and rather boring with just a little hint of biscuit.

The taste was pretty straight forward. Not really any bitterness that could be picked up with a little malt on the back.

It is a summer beer for sure but it is just too boring for me with many other better options out there.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

A - Pale yellow-gold with 1/8 of an inch of head, slightly cloudy

S- Slight wheat with some hints of alcohol

T- Wheaty and crisp overall light and a slight hop in there

M- Very little activity

D- Goes down easy not much to this beer really. I won't seek this out but not so bad as to not have one if offered.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

From scrawled notes:
Arrives at the table with some doubts. The beer is a super light, almost yellow orange but with a decent head, which quickly recedes. Aroma is of malt and wheat. I don't get many bannana or hop notes from the nose. Taste is well balanced but just lacking something for me. Starts grassy, has a little citrus kick in the middle and finishes with wheat accents. Mouthfeel seems a little too thin in my opinion. While it's very drinkable, this just does nothing for me. In a way I was hoping for beer more in the vain of Gumballhead, but what i got was more crossover beer/Berghoff-esque. Will try again, but I'm not too excited about it.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Heard so highly of it so maybe got my hopes up. Pours very nicely. Good head. But something about the taste is off to me. A little too hoppy for a wheat for me.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small head.

The aroma is quite a muted wheat beer. Lots of malt, a little bit of grass, lemon and wheat.

Flavor starts out thick and bready. It is slightly sweet from lemons and honey. Unknown spices make this a somewhat unique beer

Mouthful is thick and slightly syrupy. Well carbonated.

Too thick for my drinkability enjoyment, including a bit sweet.

This is not my type of beer, but certainly could be for others. There is certainly a nice complex flavor which will make someone happy.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Hazed pale gold, white head doesn't have much retention or lace.

S/T/M - Stays on the sweet side through the profile. Wheat aroma up front, then rolls into honey sweetness, then just feels and tastes like a load of wet wheat and grain in your mouth. Not crisp or clean on the finish with lasting sweetness. Not refreshing like a summer beer should be. Won't be getting this one again.

2.82/5  rDev -26%

$ 3.50/16 oz draft at Unos’ at Birch Run
Aroma of malt
Head chopped by bartender – what remains is small (1.5 cm), off white, creamy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring
Lacing OK – small rings with small bubbles
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor begins bitter followed by a short generic citrus burst; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl; ends quickly, no aftertaste.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

This is classified as a pale wheat ale on BA. What I had was unlike any wheat beer I’ve ever had. I last had it in 2006 and I guess I’ll wait another eight years before I try it again.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Love wheat beer. This one fell short for me. Tasted more like flat beer than wheat beer.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

After hearing some good recommendations of the on-tap version of this beer, I was disappointed with the bottled product that I tasted. I will finish my six-pack, but will not eagerly anticipate the remaining five bottles. This beer pours very nicely, building a nice head that laces well as you drink. Being unfiltered, it sports a nice amount of attractive sediment that is kept in motion through the opaque orangish liquid by a well-balanced carbonation. The smell is light citrus, and the taste on the palate is slightly lemony but otherwise bland. It does leave a bitter aftertaste, but not a particularly pleasant one. The lack of real flavor is surprising for a summer wheat ale, and is the one thing that makes it only average in drinkability.

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%

Clean finish, easy drinking and citrus taste

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours an outstanding, craggy head. True spotting down the glass. Opaque throughout the glass. Smells of fruity esthers, wheat and tangy banana. All the fun ceased for a bit, as it was very hoppy. I was expecting wheat and banana. Tasted like an APA, maybe a bad bottle? Was fresh and crispy, just not a true american "wheat" ale. However, very crisp, light and easy to drink. I would have rated it higher if it had been an APA.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I've had this one several times both on tap and in the bottle and have never really cared for it all that much even though I keep thinking it should be right up my alley. Review of a slightly older bottle (3/7/13) that has been sitting in the fridge.

A-Poured into a pint glass this beer gives off a couple fingers of large bubbled pure white head with decent head retention and lacing. Light golden in color with lots of yeast sediment floating.
S-Wheat and spiciness abound. Hints of sweetness and a little fruitiness.
T-Upfront wheat that quickly is overtaken by a zesty spicy character that finishes long with a moderate bitterness.
M-Seems a bit high in carbonation that adds to the zingy spicy finish. Body starts off nice but is quickly overtaken by the spice and bitter finish.
O-The spicy, bitter hops overwhelm this pale wheat beer. Not as quenchable as a less bitter wheat beer that I crave in the summer.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

Having heard good things about this summer ale, I picked up a 6 pack.

It poured out with a slight haze with a fairly small one-finger head.

The smell was certainly not overehelmiing ... mostly wheat and the taste was, I thought, I little flat.

So be it ... I'll keep trying!

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance is cloudy, golden, and with a decent head that quickly fizzles away to nothing. I think I must have had an old bottle, because all the delicious things other posters smell in the nose aren't in my glass. Overly sweet and skunky nose. Taste is citrus to start, nice earthy malt to finish. Unfortunately, as it warmed, the taste shifted to match the nose. Wishing I had this on tap, at the beginning of summer... I think the drinkability would be much higher. Currently, I'm not sure I want to finish the one I have.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours an apricot color with modest head retention. A good bit of spent yeast in the bottle. Citrusy nose with a hint of grapefruit. This beer as not as sweet or orangy as a lot of other wheat beers. I actually think its taste is similar to Bass Ale of all things. This beer from Bells is not even in the same league as two hearted ale. I was disappointed in this one.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.