Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,665 | Hads: 6,209
2.86/5  rDev -25.7%

After hearing some good recommendations of the on-tap version of this beer, I was disappointed with the bottled product that I tasted. I will finish my six-pack, but will not eagerly anticipate the remaining five bottles. This beer pours very nicely, building a nice head that laces well as you drink. Being unfiltered, it sports a nice amount of attractive sediment that is kept in motion through the opaque orangish liquid by a well-balanced carbonation. The smell is light citrus, and the taste on the palate is slightly lemony but otherwise bland. It does leave a bitter aftertaste, but not a particularly pleasant one. The lack of real flavor is surprising for a summer wheat ale, and is the one thing that makes it only average in drinkability. (750 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours an outstanding, craggy head. True spotting down the glass. Opaque throughout the glass. Smells of fruity esthers, wheat and tangy banana. All the fun ceased for a bit, as it was very hoppy. I was expecting wheat and banana. Tasted like an APA, maybe a bad bottle? Was fresh and crispy, just not a true american "wheat" ale. However, very crisp, light and easy to drink. I would have rated it higher if it had been an APA. (427 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I've had this one several times both on tap and in the bottle and have never really cared for it all that much even though I keep thinking it should be right up my alley. Review of a slightly older bottle (3/7/13) that has been sitting in the fridge.

A-Poured into a pint glass this beer gives off a couple fingers of large bubbled pure white head with decent head retention and lacing. Light golden in color with lots of yeast sediment floating.
S-Wheat and spiciness abound. Hints of sweetness and a little fruitiness.
T-Upfront wheat that quickly is overtaken by a zesty spicy character that finishes long with a moderate bitterness.
M-Seems a bit high in carbonation that adds to the zingy spicy finish. Body starts off nice but is quickly overtaken by the spice and bitter finish.
O-The spicy, bitter hops overwhelm this pale wheat beer. Not as quenchable as a less bitter wheat beer that I crave in the summer. (919 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Having heard good things about this summer ale, I picked up a 6 pack.

It poured out with a slight haze with a fairly small one-finger head.

The smell was certainly not overehelmiing ... mostly wheat and the taste was, I thought, I little flat.

So be it ... I'll keep trying! (277 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance is cloudy, golden, and with a decent head that quickly fizzles away to nothing. I think I must have had an old bottle, because all the delicious things other posters smell in the nose aren't in my glass. Overly sweet and skunky nose. Taste is citrus to start, nice earthy malt to finish. Unfortunately, as it warmed, the taste shifted to match the nose. Wishing I had this on tap, at the beginning of summer... I think the drinkability would be much higher. Currently, I'm not sure I want to finish the one I have. (525 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours an apricot color with modest head retention. A good bit of spent yeast in the bottle. Citrusy nose with a hint of grapefruit. This beer as not as sweet or orangy as a lot of other wheat beers. I actually think its taste is similar to Bass Ale of all things. This beer from Bells is not even in the same league as two hearted ale. I was disappointed in this one. (372 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle date says 04/25/13 A.

A: Pale golden color with lots of carbonation and a ton of visible sediment. Thin white head. Be careful when pouring this one or you'll find yourself with lots of sediment. The head fades quickly and the beer leaves some modest hints of lacing. Not as much head as I'd expect with a wheat ale though.

S: It has that wheat twinge smell. It's a bit like sour fruit. It's a pretty normal smell for the beer. I would like more complexity to the aroma though. It's okay but nothing special.

T: I get a bit of grain character, mostly wheat which is expected. It has no perceivable bitterness. There is a faint hop character, a bit earthy. Yeast flavor abound. There isn't really anything unique to the beer. The two flavors that stand out the most to me are the earthy, a bit woody hop flavors that come out first. Secondly the yeast comes in and finishes it off. I suppose depending on your pour you could have a different experience in the latter flavor. I had a lot of yeast in my glass so that was a major contributor. I would like more grain flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good. There is some bitterness to balance out the smoothness from the wheat, and the carbonation is good. I wouldn't call it outstanding but it's good. I would like more presence in the mouth, and I feel that it would raise the rating a lot.

O: Having tasted a lot of wheat beers from Europe and the U.S. it is sometimes frustrating to have a beer that doesn't live up to the standards of a beer that can be had in nearly every bar. Even with the differences between the American Pale Wheat Ale and something like a Hefeweizen, there is a certain punch and craftsmanship that you look for, that is common in both styles. I don't feel that this beer meets that standard. I know people who enjoy this beer, and enjoy it for what it is. I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence. All I can judge is the sample that I have, which was bottled at the end of April. Given the chance, I would like to try this fresh and on tap for a re-review. (2,051 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Pour was a cloudy yellow/orange color into my glass with about two inches of fluffy head. Scent was a bit mild. Citrus with an almost sugary hint. I was really looking forward to this beer as fellow user buschbeer really likes it among many other favorable reviews. However, I was pretty disappointed. Wheat and light citrus flavors (maybe even a hint of cardboard), but I felt it was pretty bland. Carbonation was just right. This isn't hateful, but I've certainly had better wheats. (484 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

I've had a lot of Oberon over the years, and I think the 2010 batch is the best I've had, but I'm still pretty indifferent to the beer overall. It's nice because it's release typically marks the beginning of summer, but I find it to be highly overrated. I like many of Bell's products, but I'm not much of an Oberon fan.

A- If there's one thing I do like about Oberon, it's its appearance. It is a very pretty golden and orange beer, a little cloudy. Makes for a good beer to have your picture taken next to by the pool. (I also really dig the label design on the bottle and this year's Dali-themed mini kegs, but that doesn't really count for beer appearance)

S- To me, Oberon's downfall is its smell. I also expect more of a citrusy and crisp nose but every Oberon that I've ever been around has had an unappealing yeasty smell, reminiscent of a college apartment the morning after a kegger.

T- Average summer beer taste-- some honey, orange and citrus. Yeast flavor is also very apparent. I typically don't like to put fruit in my beer, but Oberon is best served with a slice of orange. This makes it above average but I can give the beer by itself only an average rating.

M- Nothing special.

D- Bit of a heavier beer, but also can be more refreshing that others. The drinkability can really depend on what you're doing and what time of year it is: it is highly drinkable outside in the warm sun while you watch the sweat bead down the glass, but not so much in fall when you're inside and the batch has gotten older. (1,527 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

For all the hype, I found it to be underwhelming and unremarkable without a lot of distinguishing character. It's not bad, but it's just kind of there, existing. (161 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(From notes)

Served well chilled in an Imperial shaker. I appreciated that the bartender asked if I wanted lemon or not before adding it. I declined.

Look- Hazy butterscotch, served with a half-finger of loose suds that falls quickly. Nice lacing. Poor retention for a wheat ale.

Smell- Bready, vague citrus rind, lemon pepper.

Taste- Floury, grainy, subdued spice, light citrus. Fades to pizza dough and soft pine. Aggressive finish. Simcoe/Summit perhaps? A little rough for a wheat ale.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, moderate carb. Slick on the swallow. Finishes tart, slightly astringent.

Overall- Not really my cup of tea, but ok. I felt no need to finish the 20 oz. (672 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance: A good two-finger head forms from a slightly aggressive pour and leaves thick swaths of lacing all over the class as it slowly recedes. The body itself is a hazy yellow with crazy carbonation. I don't really care for the color - seems sort of bland - but on the other hand ... and I know its due to the higher protein content of the wheat malt, and nothing special that Bell's has done ... the lacing makes the beer look really neat.

Smell: Overwhelmingly smells of light, yeasty bread and not much more. Distressingly one dimensional, because the smell of light, yeast bread reminds me of the smell of additives in a lot of nasty American macro-lagers. Unfortunate.

Taste: More of the same. A lot of wheat malt and earthy, musty, dry yeast flavor, balanced by light and spicy hops (definitely Saaz) that don't lend much other than balance. I'm trying, and I'm not really detecting any real citrus flavors or any other flavors that might be typical of a wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Light, with a fine, consistent carbonation profile. Very effervescent. Everything else is fine - no cloying aftertastes.

Drinkability: It's nice to look at ... but after that, the quality of this beer declines somewhat, and I don't think I could have more than one or two of these. It's not inoffensive, just one-dimensional and a bit boring.

A mediocre beer, in my opinion, and a rare misstep by Bell's. I'm pretty sure I'm not grading harsher because Comcast messed up my MLB package, too. Although I'll admit it's not really my style, I have had a few American pale wheat ales that I've liked before, but they tend to be the more complex, subtle ones, full of light, peppery spices and citrus notes. This one has none of the above, unfortunately. (1,743 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a hazy yellow orange. Very light citrusy nose of orange, tangerine, maybe a bit of grapefruit. Taste is also very light. Citrusy, mild orange and tangerine. Nice mouthfeel. Light and slightly carbonated. Overall this is just average. Not my favorite brew from bells at all. That being said, it makes for an awesome summer drink because of the lightness and citrus taste. Allthough it isn't my favorite, I could drink this during the summer months. (453 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Presentation: 16 oz. can, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow color with a white, two finger head. Leaves some good lacing.

Smell: It has a strong aroma of grains and a hint of lemon peel.

Taste: It has a grainy, citrus taste. Nothing spectacular.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing and easy easy to drink, your typical summer beer. Average carbonation.

Overall: Nothing to write home about. It doesn't stand out in any way, but I guess that's fine for some beers. It's still nice and refreshing like all the other craft offerings that flood
the market during the summer months. (592 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottled on 4/1/11. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This beer's unfiltered w/ sediment. Pours a burnt yellow, decent head and lacing. Smells like fresh air, very subtle. I'm picking up fresh lemon and grass. This one has very earthy flavors. Slight amount of citrus mixed w/ a gentle bitterness. Spices are prevelant. Overall, the aromas and flavors are underwhelming, but refreshing. Mouthfeel is light, lots of carbonation, pretty crisp. I like Oberon, but it's definitely missing something.. it always seems bland, IMHO. I still have one or two each year.

I'm a huge fan of Bell's, but I never understood all the hype around this one. Yes, it's great for spring/summer, but there are too many other options out there w/ better flavors and aromas.. I still respect this beer though. (799 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Presented as part of a Bell's Oberon "kick-off" at a local bar. Basically, the promotion sucked me in on promises of "free tastings" and "give aways!"

I was hoping that this might be a Bell's sponsored event, but it in fact was the local beer retailer yes-man get together. I felt completely out of place with the utter creepiness of suits drinking Oberon out of the bottle, wolfing them down like they're going out of style.

So the sample ended up being a shotglass full of Oberon and a Bell's keychain bottle opener. Whoop de freckin' doo.

Focus. Back to the beer. Oberon, fresh 2004 sample, 12 oz. bottle.

Pours out the "Oberon Orange Juice" much like other weiss-beers with a few yeasty chunks and some scary black floaties. When I was just handed the bottle, I asked for a glass and the douche-bag took it upon himself to pour it into a glass for me. That *wasn't* what I was asking for. Worst. Pour. Ever. The beer managed a decent lacing, nevertheless. The Mrs. pour revealed only a slight head, a no-no for the style.

The nose was all banana-clove yeastiness, with a larger than normal dallop of hops and a strangely bubblegummy aroma.

There's a strange amount of bitterness here. It almost seems sour, a hint of brettonmyances. Overall there was a nappy foot-funk underlying all flavors in both samples. There is also a strange amount of raggedness to the beer that had no place in the style. I don't think this would really be that refreshing of a summer drink except for the mouthfeel. The puckery hop consistency and the slightly thin mouthfeel all make this quite easy to shwill (for people that like that) but not really drinkable, in my book.

Not one of my favorites from Bell's, and I fear I might not like it at all if offered in a blind hefe-weiss taste off. (1,797 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a sunny yellow-orange with a haze of visible wheat sediments. Forms a pillowy, bright white one-finger head, but it doesn't stick around for long. Minimal lacing.

Nose is mild, but pleasant. Mostly a wheat malt and orange aroma with some hints of mango and honey.

The taste starts out decent up front with an orangey, bready sweetness; but that leads into a lingering aspirin-flavored finish. The alcohol is also a bit more noticeable than it should be for a "summer beer".

The mouthfeel is light, creamy and smooth with some crisp, moderate carbonation.

Oberon seems to be very popular here in the midwest, and I had high expectations with it being a Bell's product. I wouldn't say this was a horrible beer, but I'm very disappointed. (745 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

A - Looks like your typical AAL. Pale yellow, clear, small head, no lacing. Not good.

S - Eh, little citrus. Not much else.

T - Tastes like an average wheat beer mixed with an average pale ale. There's a little bitterness from the hops, but it's very light. There's some fruitiness and wheat character, but not much.

M - Average is a good way to describe this. It's thin, carbonated, drinkability is the only thing making this tolerable.

O - This is not good. Considering I just paid $5.50 for a pint, I feel ripped off. I was standing next to people at the bar with light beers and I couldn't distinguish, and flavor wasn't much more exciting either. I'd describe this as craft for BMC people. If you want something very light on flavor this may be for you. However, it probably will be overpriced. I got this on draft so I'm unsure, but I doubt it's worth what it costs for a sixer. Most disappointing Bell's beer I've had. (929 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured a beautiful, tasty-looking orange color that was very murky but concealing plenty of carbonation. Had a thin sponge head sitting eternally and lots of good wheat beer lace. Smell was faintly of summer fruits and serious hay and wheat tones. Taste was a firm wheat with fruity tones to it. A long bready finish slowly rolled into hops. But, like many a good American wheat beer, this has it all except the yeast to give the great scents and flavors of a traditional hefe (see Paulaner, Weihenstephan). (507 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz bottle served in pint glass.

Appearance: Dark golden and murky. Thin white head that disappears quickly.

Smell: A bit of yeast, but really not much there.

Taste: Some citrus and yeast. Mild bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium with decent carbonation.

Drinkability: Typical drinkability for a wheat.

Not bad, but not impressive either. (359 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

Cloudy orange colored brew with fluffy white head. Streaked lacing.

Lots of dirty wheat, not much else. Light lemon, rubber, and cat urine.

Very wheaty and slightly hopped. Light, smooth, crisp, and over carbonated.

A very refreshing brew for a 100+ degree day... I can't imagine having more then one Oberon, but the one is good, a mess, but good. Lots of carbonation distracts from the smooth flavor. (406 characters)

The run of summer seasonals continues with Bell's Oberon Ale. Pours a very light and hazy yellow with a sizeable head and great lacing.

The first sip is surprising because there is more body and flavor than expected. There's some grass, some malt, and a bit of spicy hops. Even though there is some wheat malt in this, it doesn't taste like most wheat beers. A hint of orange and sour lemon in the finish.

It's not as light and crisp as most summer seasonals, and it doesn't have the right flavor for someone looking for a wheat beer.

Oberon isn't bad, but there's nothing really happening here that will make me want to have it again. (638 characters)

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass. Nice golden color with a thin head fading away quickly. The lacing was minimal. Cloudy.

Your standard wheat ale aroma. A tiny bit of banana.

Taste was easy drinking with a mild wheat and banana flavor. Smooth mouth feel with tiny little bubbles.

Easy to drink. Let's hop on the mower. (335 characters)

Wcudwight was kind enough to share.

This beer got straight threes. That is a compliment from me considering the style. The beer was very cloudy and had the appearance of pineapple juice. There was a good head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. The taste is good for the style and there is a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is mostly smooth. The drinkability is fair. This beer is average in my book but that is good for me, again considering the style. (465 characters)

A-Very cloudy with large particles floating throughout the consumption. Little to no head and minimal lacing.

S-Not a big nose here, a little bit of cloves and citrus but not much else.

T-Kind of a citrus /hoppy flavor. Quite unusual to say the least.

M-Light body with a hoppy carbonated finish.

D-Decent session summer beer I suppose. Never really seemed to hit the mark of what they were after. (401 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.