Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

Whsrickqb12, May 04, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

Ricklikesmibeer, Jul 11, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

A - This is a tasty looking summer beer. Hazy light orange with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while. No lacing, but that is expected of a light summer brew.

S - Smell is what you would expect for a wheat beer. Cloves, light sugar, orange, tangerine. Very little hop profile.

T - So this is pretty much where things fall apart. Cloves. And some bananas. And that's it. No citrus hops, no malt backbone. Cloves and bananas. And more cloves.

M - Thin and bubbly. The carbonation was so strong that the overpowering taste hits the roof of your mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D - This is just about as drinkable as your typical Miller Lite or High Life. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm unwinding with my buddies and looking for a night out, nothing beats 8 or 9 Miller Lites or High Lifes - but, that is certainly not what I'm looking for in a craft beer.

airohead2001, Jun 18, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

AmericanPaleMale666, Jul 10, 2014
2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a Naragansett pint glass. (Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!)

a - visibly effervescent, 2 inches of sticky white head that collapses very slowly leaving light lacing, orangey gold color, very hazy but still slightly translucent

s - subtle notes of orange and wheat, but not much aroma overall

T - some wheat cracker flavors to start, slightly sweet in the middle, with mild bitterness finishing out that lingers

M - bubbly and light, somewhat cleansing, but dissipating almost immediately

D - I found this a forgettable example of a summer wheat. Not quite refreshingly clean enough to be a lawnmower beer, but also without the depth of flavor and complexity that makes great wheat beers. First thing I haven't liked from Bells.

CoalPorter, Jun 20, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Merl77, Nov 13, 2014

DavyJones, Apr 16, 2012

JIMTRK16, Feb 26, 2014

dumptruck81, May 26, 2012

BeerdNick, Apr 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Served on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brownsburg, IN (advertised as a Summer seasonal), in a flavor-concealing frosted glass. Not my favorite serving style, so I let it sit for about 10 to get a feel for the beer itself, not just the temp.

A: It's an orange-golden mixture, thicker than a PA, but nowhere near a bock. There's just a little bit of head, but what's there stays for the duration.

S: Nothing strong. Sweet teases in the form of berry and some subtle leafiness. Really though, it's quite weak. I walked over to the jukebox at one point, and my main whiffs still comprised mostly of fried chicken from the kitchen (even with my nose in the glass). Oh well; some of the best beers I've had lacked prominence in the nose. If God wanted us to just smell beer, he wouldn't have given us taste buds. Not a deal-breaker for me, personally.

T: Uh-oh...turns out the weak nose was a warning for the taste that followed. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Some pronounced grainy qualities, but other than that, it's a weak BMC. Hops are just an afterthought once you get past the disappointing skunkiness.

M: Super carbonated, even for a draft. I can only imagine it's to distract from the taste...

O: No thank you. It's strange, because I've heard such good things about this brewer (usually with an honorable mention of their Two-Hearted Ale). What are you doing, Bell's? Just because it's summer doesn't mean you can sell cheap, cold beer with less flavor for the same price.

BarryMFBurton, Apr 25, 2011

Thomas_McCoy, Jun 26, 2014

ScottageCheese, Nov 24, 2011

bendukes86, Apr 18, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass and had to double check to make sure I wasn't pouring a bmc... color is very light yellow with no head at all to speak of even with a vigorous pour. Minimal bubbling in the body. Smells like the back alley of a college bar, just generic malt and stale hops. Mouthfeel is on the verge of being flat. Overall a disappointing brew.

merryjoulton, Mar 25, 2012

MIP229, Mar 05, 2012

MIchael_D_Larkin, Jul 26, 2014

MillerMan16, Jul 15, 2014

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.