Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Ratings: 6,065 | Reviews: 1,723
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a cloudy golden straw. Almost like a light apple cider. Head stayed for a little while. Citrus tones in the nose with a slight hop presence. Orange, coriander mix well. Taste has a spicy citrus start with wheat malt and then gives way to a hoppy bitterness. On the lighter side of medium for the mouth feel. Very good drinkability, hits the spot after a grass cutting session.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an odd orange color, a little too dark to be considered golden. There is little if any head and the brew itself is cloudy with sentiment as too be expected from this style.

Smell: Definitely floral, the orange coriander and peel is evident. There is also some pleasant hoppiness beneath the citrus.

Taste: Excellent! To me this is the flagship of Bell's and for good reason. The sweetness of the wheat and the citrus blend together perfectly for a flavor that is unique to wheat beer and very satisfying. Some slight hoppiness with the finish.

Mouth feel: Relatively light, going down quite easily.

Drinkability: Great flavor and low body makes this the perfect summer beer. The keg offered at Meijer's is a great idea for a party.

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There's a reason why this is the leader of Bell's Brewery. It's a great beer. It's great to drink on a warm day. Your friends drink it too. It's on tap just about everywhere (In Michigan at least...). It comes with an orange, sometimes. There is a great amount of citrus and the Saaz hops really bring it all together. Overall, one of my favorites.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%

A recognizable beer for it's unique spice, Oberon is a classic Bell's brew.

An opaque golden body sits underneath an almost pure white head. Common with most Bell's brews, yeast suspension is very noticeable. Smells of clean soap and crispy hops–nothing but a bright summer day. First sip is loaded with peppery, bitter spices and hops. Eventually grapefruit and orange citrus comes through, and finally the wheat malts make an impression. Surprisingly for such a low ABV, the alcohol taste is at the forefront of each sip, which for me, is more of a Con than a Pro. A soapy, smooth mouthfeel partners with a carbonated aftertaste (a distinct Bells' characteristic).

Overall, I've had better wheat ales, but none as spicy as Oberon. In my opinion, the alcohol/boozy taste was off-putting, as it took away from the bitter hops and wheat malt balance that makes this beer shine. Definitely recommend for anyone who's never had Bell's before!

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I've ever had

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Translucent tangerine with a moderate head. It didn't linger too long and didn't immediately vanish.

S- Wheat, sweet grass and a tart finish that is vaguely citrus.

T- Delicious! Crisp and light with a subtle sweetness that eventually reveals a delicate hop flavor. It's as the bottle sez-- summery.

M- There's nothing outstanding of note either way-- nothing offensive and nothing extraordinary. This isn't a bad thing-- for me anyway-- it's a tasty beer for a summer day.

O- I suppose from a critique standpoint, there's not much I can wax poetic about with this beer, but the bottom line is that it's a good beer to quaff with friends. I'll be having this again!

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

A - dark straw colored, head fades quickly with no lacing. Beer is cloudy opaque.

S - Hops, yeast, grass.

T - Sweet, mild hops. Very mild flavor, the wheat is there, sweet, undemanding and refreshing.

MF - Prickly, full, not watery at all, surprisingly.

D - Summer beer. Would be easy to drink, but it's not 'challenging' at all.

For a wheat beer, this one has more flavor than many I've had.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Pours a hazy, unfiltered orange/golden. Nice puffy head that leaves a lot of lacing along the side. A good looking beer.

S - Not a lot of smell to this one, mostly some bready malt, hints of spice

T - Taste is fruity and bready with a touch of spice. Lemon, orange, zest, mixed with some wheat and biscuit, and a touch of coriander. Good blend of everything here. Quite good.

M - A full taste, crisp and refreshing, perfect for a hot summer night.

Overall - Very good beer, refreshing, full bodied. Certainly a rite of summer

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Cloudy with chunks of yeast floaties that eventually settled to the bottom, pale orange, thin white head

Aroma - not a lot there, slight citrus and bread, grainy

Mouthfeel - moderate CO2, medium bodied (fuller than I imagined), slight coating

Taste - sweet bread, slight fruitiness, grain, little orange character

Residual - slightly off aftertaste, coating

Overall - Was expecting more. Over the last month I've seen an excessive amount of 20+ case displays of oberon so I figured it was worth checking out. Wasn't a terrible beer, but also wasn't a particularly good one... I certainly do not understand the hype. There are a lot of better wheat beers out there.

We are planning to go camping tomorrow night and I asked my wife to pick up a six pack of something. She said, IPA? and I replied sure.

Not an IAP but a pretty good beer nonetheless. I think I taste a little fruit, but not real fruity (like Mark Ford). Ha ha.

Definitely a beer you cold have several of on a hot summer day and still enjoy it. A keeper for sure.

I also imagine it isn't real expensive as my wife would never buy a real expensive beer for me.

Good choice Laura!

3.58/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle, poured into tulip glass.

I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I'll give just about anything Bell's makes a go.

A: Beautiful, opaque amber color that turns golden when held up to light. The white head dissipates quickly, leaving a fine lace. There's visible sediment, but that's never bothered me.

S: Aroma's really bizarre here, in that it reminds me of unpleasant things but is still enticing. I guess the nice thing to say is that it smells like orange rind...but borders on rotten fruit. (My wife replaced rotting fruit with soap, but also likes the aroma.) Maybe it's my poor sense of smell, but I like this despite what it's telling me.

T: Strong citrus flavors up front -- lemon zest, orange -- quickly cleared away by just the right amount of hop bitterness. There's a bit of an aspirin aftertaste at the end that fights with the citrus, but it's the latter that lingers on my tongue. Pleasant overall.

M: Surprisingly creamy for a lighter beer, and effervescent. The aspirin aftertaste does make for a somewhat gritty finish, but as with taste, this is a minor flaw.

D: My bias against the style aside, this is a very drinkable beer. Worth sipping and savoring so that some of its eccentricities can come through. I wouldn't want to drink this as a session beer, but it could easily be done on a hot day.

All told, Bell's has made an American Wheat Beer that I can get behind, which is no small feat.

4.87/5  rDev +27.8%

The best summer beer out there. Very refreshing citrusy beer without getting too sweet or sour. I've had it in bottle and on-tap and tap is certainly better, but it is still an excellent bottled beer. I have noticed, unfortunately, that it is only available in certain geographic areas of the US - not available in the Northeast, but it is available in DC and the midwest.

Reviewed on 3/28/2009

I bought this at The Wine And Cheese place the other day, they sent an update through e-mail saying they had just received them in and they were bottled on 3/11/2009!! Super fresh. So I had to go get some while they had them.

12oz bottle with a squigly drawing of a sun with a face. No freshness date.

A- Poured it into my Bitburger pilsner glass. Pours a light copper color, looks slightly unfiltered and I see no sediment. Many tiny bubbles make their way to the top of the glass at a quick pace. Fluffy, even white head, with some lacing on the sides. Looks good to me!

S- Smells of many light (orange) citrus fruits, sweet like clementine or tangerine. Very light hop presence.

T- Sweet, perfect amount of carbonation, again all of the light citrus fruits are coming through. Orange, tangerine, and clementine. Leaves a pleasant after taste!This is a very tasty wheat beer!

D- Very. I could drink these all day at a good speed.

Notes: Great for any outdoor summer or spring lounging or activity! Unfortunately today is a very rainy, glum day; the weather channel is even saying we are supposed to get a couple inches of snow! But despite the cold and ugly weather, this is a beautiful beer good for any occasion. Thank you, Bell's for another great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a hazy golden orange with an icy head that dissipates quickly. Some clumpy lacing.

Smells of orange, sourdough and yeast.

Taste is disappointing. Nothing past malt sweetness on the front of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery despite the strong carbonation.

Overall, a decent session beer, and probably good with summer fare.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a pint from Pearl Street Pizza, Indianapolis, IN.

A: Nice appearance off tap. A tad cloudy, golden in color. Medium lacing and fingers with a decent head off the pour that died relatively fast.

S: Citrus, slight grapefruit, orage, resin are some notes to the nose here. Enjoyable to smell with a nice character all around.

T: Balance of hops, malts and specialties really make this an easy drinking beer with some real character. Finishes a tad earthy and slightly dry.

M: Spritzy and medium modies on the tongue and cheeks.

O: Truly a beer for the summer. Just wish I could get this in CO.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from bottle to a weizen glass. Cloudy with the color of a wheat field on a bright day. Massive frothy head that is retained for the whole session with some chunks of lace here and there. Looking closer, it is very cloudy with bits of suspended yeast. Some remained stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

The scent is not overly potent, but pleasant none-the-less. Hints of citrus with wheat malt. Some yeast, but not intense.

It tastes simple and feels smooth. Moderate weight on the mouth with wheat, citrus, maybe the tiniest hint of clove.

Overall, I did enjoy this Summer Ale, though I am not sure it is worthy of the hype and following that it seems to have. To each their own.

Appearance- Pale golden with a cm or two of snow white head. Lots of floaters and tiny bubbles.

Smell- Honestly not much there, some light wheaty malt.

Taste- Same as the smell maybe a little floral on the finish but its subtle.

Mouthfeel- On the light side of medium.

Overall- A solid refreashing summer beer. Thats the best I can say about it but I'm also not a huge fan of most wheat beers. Glad I got to try it in a pick a 6 becuase I probably wouldn't have gotten a 6 pack.

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Michigan's original. Solid beer. 90/100 Good brew

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

A light pleasing wheat with a balanced malt taste and complex lemon, orange and other citrus notes.

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great brew for sitting on the porch and enjoying the summertime.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Drinkable! Yes! Very refreshing! Can drink many of these in one sitting.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

I had this as my first beer on my 21st birthday. I saw it again on tap and thought that it is high time I actually enjoy this one...

A: Cloudy orange color with a nice head that lasts throughout. nice lacing as well

S: citrus/orange and sweet wheat.

T: Refreshing sweet and even a little fruity taste that finishes quickly. Definitely one of the best wheat beers I have had.

M: This one is very different. It is thicker, but it is so clean and refreshing even, that it feels close to perfect.

D: This is a fantastic beer. Easily one that could become my favorite. Easy to drink and enjoy, while not so dull and lame that it is a throw away beer. Highly highly recommend this brew.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

A- This beer pours a nice golden yellow with a nice 1" head wich lingers for a bit then dies down to a light skin that floats on top. The only thing that hold this beer's loog back is it has a lot of yeast floating in it that might turn some people off. But not me.

S- At first it smells like it's going to be a vary hoppy beer but then I got a little wiff of fruit of some sorte and wheat and it smells like a real cool beer perfect for summer.

T- You get a good amount of hops right away but just a quick I got a lot of wheat and just a taste of some fruit.

M- Good carbonation right on the money. It real light great for them hot summer days after work. The hops gives it little kick also.

D- I've had this beer before twice from a bottle and one on tap at Bell's this is a really good beer of theirs they did a good job. Now that it's getting colder out I prolly wouldn't go seeking it out now, but it could easily fill out my six pac if I couldn't find a winter beer. But I would drink this all the time in the warm weather if I could.

3.58/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

AP: like cloudy honey but not so thick. Robust, white head after the bottle swirl to get the sediments mixed in.

AR: citrus-y, almost sour. Rising dough smell is faint at first but seems to come alive more and more as the beer sits in the glass.

M: light and not near as effervescent as one might expect from a bottle conditioned beer.

TA: much hoppier than your standard wheat beer. Has a typical wheat sweetness with a hoppy bitterness than remains after the swallow. Seems like many Wheats are bittered with spice and rind. This certainly seems to possess a greater hop load than the normal wheat beer.

I recommend.

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A well crafted beer overall. The appearance was clear with a deep yellow color. The head had a light appearance but persisted the whole way to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was nice with strong smells of citrus and wheat that carried into the taste. The beer was quite drinkable and would have been better outdoors on a nice day (instead of the continual crappy winter we are currently suffering in Pittsburgh).

The only downside to this beer was the mouthfeel. Too much bite on the tongue keeps me from following the first beer with a second.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.