Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,650 | Hads: 6,142
3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

THe beer pours a nice very light yellow. It has some nice wheaty overtones without all of the clove and phenolic tastes usually found in wheat beers. All in all a decent beer that is rather drinkable on a hot summers day.

As far as drinkability goes I am sure I could easily plow through a sixer of this stuff and still not tire of it. Alltogether nothing remarkable but still a decent beer. (394 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

A- Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin off-white head. It left slight lacing that didn't stick around. Not sure if this is normal, but it had more sediment than I've experienced with other wheat beers.

S- The bottle says that it smells like a summer afternoon...and I wholeheartedly agree. It's full or oranges and other citrus notes. Very refreshing.

T- The citrus hits you up front, dominated by the oranges. I picked up traces of grapefruit and other citruses too. As it finishes, I noticed a nice, bitter hopiness. It's very subtle but settles well on the palate.

M- It was mildly carbonated, less that other wheat ales I've had. Danced around nicely in my mouth.

D- This is a delicious summer beer, highly refreshing and crisp. I didn't notice the 5.8% ABV either. I can definitely see myself picking this up over the summer for hanging out by the pool and grilling. (879 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz->an imperial pint glass

pours into the glass a nice golden amber color with a soft bubbly head that faded quickly, coated the beer well and laced all the way down

smells of floral wheat and citrus, lemon and orange spicyness and dry biscuity malts

taste very much the same, mainly lemon spice, wheat, malty and biscuity- mainly after it warmed some

mouthfeel is nice and crisp, with a dry finish, somewhat creamy and carbonated well

drinkabiltiy is very high, a nice sessionable brew, great hot weather beer,

my first bells offering, not overly impressed but am glad they finally made it to georgia, can't wait to try some of their other highly touted beers (672 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Poured into a weizen glass. Nice golden orange color with a good head that lingered for a while. Not much sediment even though I swirled the last inch of beer in the bottle before finishing my pour.

S - Really sweet smell. Orange, yeast, a little pine. Very pleasant.

T - not nearly as sweet as it smells, but some definite sweet maltiness, as well as citrus, and some bitterness on the finish. Very good tasting and well-balanced.

MF - a lot of carbonation, maybe a little too much, but otherwise good.

D - Could drink all day long, great summer beer. (561 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a hazy yellow color,has a nice head that does lace and lingers,I think this beer is a tad thin some wheat and malt and hop balance a hint of lemon zest but I was not impressed,I could drink this beer all day then never miss it again,its by no means bad but just unimpressive and a tad overpriced,I guess ya call this a gateway beer I suppose its a heavy hitter in the summer months (387 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer when poured into glass had a nice frothy white head, and was very cloudy. Laced the glass fairly well. This beer does not have a very strong smell, I could not pick up on any hops just from smell, it reminded me of most wheat beers. This beer has a very nice, calm taste. It is balanced and smooth, leading to a high score on the mouthfeel and is all around a very drinkable beer. Certainly a beer worth trying. (421 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer pours a cloudy yellow and has about 1 fingers width of head on top that dissolved pretty fast. I think it smells really fruity and wheaty. The taste has a good amount of hops and a lot of carbonation. Theres some citrus taste in there too, kind of like orange. It is very easy to drink and not a bad summer beer at all.
So far I have liked everything I have had from Bells. My only complaint with them is that their bottle designs are just plain ugly. (461 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Oberon, like its namesake, is about as summery as you can get. Light, pleasant aromas, fruity wheat taste, and an even, light carbonation make this a great quaffing beer. Pours golden and a bit cloudy, as one would expect. It's a good counterpart to something a little bigger, like Sam Summer Ale. An enjoyable brew, one that makes summer seem even nicer. (355 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

A: pale yellow, cloudy dense white head
S: wheaty, bready faintly of hops
T: malty with a hint of sourness in the back. the tang of wheat
M: full with a dry finish
D: Above average. I could drink several.

I avoided this beer for a few years. Now that its distributed in my state, I see it with new eyes. I used to look down on it because it was Bell's cash cow, but in the light of day, this is a damn fine beer. (420 characters)

3.85/5  rDev 0%

poured into standard pub glass, 50F.

cloudy yellow, straw color with 1 inch head that is gone in a hurry. Suspended particles throughout. Moderate carbonation.

This stuff is pretty good. Crisp and refreshing, like a summer brew should be. Semi sweet, fruity aftertaste that does not linger long. I also taste the faintest of orange flavor.

the lightness and crispness makes this beer perfect for those summertime activities where you want something refreshing that will not slow you down by being too heavy.

Drinkability is good, too. I can see enjoying several of these as I work the grill on a warm night in July.

I think this would be a beer that I would give to someone who has never had a craft beer before. It's leagues better than a BMC product, but because of its lightness it won't send em running back to mama. (827 characters)

This is a beer that's awesome on Tap but it's terrible in a bottle.

A-It's got kind of a dark orange color if I can remember correctly.

S-It's got a nice orange scent to it.

T- When it's actually on tap it tastes REALLY good. Kind of similar to Blue Moon.

M- It feels great in the mouth it goes clean.

D- Its great on tap but it's not good in a bottle. It's way overpowering if it's in a bottle. At least to me it is.

Overall, Oberon is a tap Beer. (458 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Ah, Michigan beer!

Poured from bottle into a wheat beer glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a large off-white head that never really goes away at all, even after sitting for a half-hour.

Smells of coriander and citrus with some pale malts and white wheat in the background of the scent. Subtle grassy hops aroma, with just a tiny bit of something that smells like honey (I am unsure as to whether or not honey is used to flavor the beer).

Taste is pretty much exactly what you smell... Coriander and citrus, honey flavor, subtle grassy hops and white wheat.

Overall a very well balance, very well done beer. (613 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

Sometimes ales are a little too sweet and caramelly for me, so at times, I'm hesitant to choose an ale. This was a good one. A full-bodied flavor, the malt wasn't too sweet - but there was that hint. A little hint of hops balanced nicely. I might have had another had the tenderloin not just come off the grill then. I guess this beer reopened an avenue of beers for me that had been under construction. (403 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured fresh from a bottle from yesterday's release day. Love the label design, especially the box.

Ok, this year's batch of Oberon is hazy gold with some unfiltered floaties. Beautiful silky solid white head with great lacing that just coats the glass. Definitely looks appealing.

The nose is dropping hints of 'thin' and 'light'. Light wheat and lemon/orange rind aroma. Eh.

I'm getting all wheat and orange in the taste, some light sweetness. Very mild flavor with an extremely light aftertaste. Very drinkable.

Medium-light body, extremely smooth on the mouth. Perfect carbonation. Good summer session beer.

Overall Oberon is a very inoffensive beer from all angles that most anybody can enjoy. (707 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Porter's Pub in easton, Pa. Nice 1 finger head with smells of wheat and grass. Taste is very good and slightly creamy, yet crisp. This is a beer that could be sessioned on a hot summer day with ease. Mouthfeel is very good and lets you know you are drinking something better than most. This beer does exactly what Bell's wanted it to. Another top quality offering by Bell's. (384 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%

Nice citrusy wheat for the summer. Tastes very smooth and has nice undertoes of citrus and floral. Had in bottles as well as on tap. The tap is much better than the bottle. I would still buy this ale for those long summer boat trips.

The mini-keg can (5l) size is also as good as the tap. I recommend no garnishes with orange or lime because I feel that the acidity of the fruits change the flavor some. (407 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured hazy orange with nice white/orange head. Lots of floaties in this beer like every other Bell's product I have had. Lacing is present to the last drop. Much to my surprise there is not much smell to lure you in. Others note a nice hop citrus smell. I smell malt and maybe a touch of citrus but not enough to speak of. I think this is just me though, I just like a hop aroma as opposed to malt. Has a nice citrus/hop entry with a smooth feel in the mouth followed with a gentle hop/malt finish. Interesting carbonation (it is highly carbonated). This is a good summertime beer and I was pleased enough with it. Very refreshing citrus/hop/malt balance. Well done in the flavor/mouthfeel department. Too bad that there was nothing that jumped out at me with this one; this makes going back to it for 9 bucks a six pack a little more than I can bear. It is just way too expensive for what it is. I guess Gumballhead spoiled me...there is no contest between this and the 3F product for this variety. (1,000 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A: A hazy orange-amber with sediment bits floating in suspension. Nice frothy head with moderate retention and decent lacing

S: Clean citrus, spices, and sweet wheat, almost yeasty.

T: Lemon and orange citrus hops up front, with a lingering earthy and spicy aftertaste.

M: Smooth, medium bodied with a nice balance of carbonation

O: A delightful wheat brew. Easily drinkable. My favorite summer beer. (406 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a golden yellow with a small, wispy head.

Hard to ascertain a smell. Doesn't smell bad but the minimal smell of honey and clover is hard to get but pleasant.

Taste is of a light honey wheat-beer but nothing outlandish going on. I was expecting something more complex than this.

Overall not a summer beer I'll try again though I wouldn't say it's below average either. (376 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oberon has a spicy hop in it. It is not brewed with orange as people may think. It is just water, malt, yeast and hops. On tap at the brewery they have Mango Habenero Oberon and they put those ingredients in the kettle. (219 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -13%

A - cloudy like you'd expect a wheat beer to be, though pale, with a white slightly fizzy-ish head.

S - sweetish and something that I'm not sure I can identify. I don't know if it's related to hops or wheat (if I had to guess though, I'd say hops, or even yeast).

T - light and refreshing, though less depth of flavor than I'd been expecting. My favorite flavors come at the end and seem to be quite wheaty or grassy and last for a while.

M - light and crisp.

D - I could see making an afternoon out of this beer easily, but I'd prefer a classic hefe to this. (564 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Appearance - Dull shade of earth brown, modest carbonation bubbles breaching the surface, limited head that quickly fades into nothingness

Smell - Subtle hint of wheat wrapped with a clean dirt smell infused with delicate fruit and floral burst with added malt and hop

Taste - Initial natural flow across the palate that builds up to and teases the taste buds only leading to an apex of pain free bite

Mouthfeel - Uniform smoothness with ample moisture release

Overall - Effortless drinkability and splendid seasonal (520 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, light orange with a dominate white head which disappears rather quickly.

Smell: Mild aroma with initial scent of wheat and yeast, followed by a strong orange fruit aroma.

Taste: Heavy wheat flavors followed by intense citrus oranges. Lacks much carbonation, but otherwise is quite smooth.

Mouthfeel: Average dryness. Reminds you of the summer months of sunshine and relaxation. Doesn't quite leave you wanting another sip, but makes you crave summer-like food. (492 characters)

I love this beer. I'm from Michigan and this is a Michigan beer making it that much better. You have to try this beer at some point it is my favorite beer!! (158 characters)

A - Hazy, dull orange. One finger head that fades to some moderate lacing.

S – A very nice grapefruits smell.

T - Very good. Starts off as your typical wheat beer, but then fades to a very nice ripe grapefruit taste that lingers in the aftertaste. Not too complex, but very simple and very good. The flavor doesn't feel added like some, but compliments the rest of the beer very well.

M - Great, not acidic or too sweet, very crisp.

D - High. No alcohol taste to speak of, I could drink these all day.

A great summer brew. Every year I cant weight until the first kegs hit my distributors so I can get one. This is my favorite summer brew and everyone who has tried it loves it. It’s a great hit at summer cook outs. (733 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.