Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 6,287
4.55/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a frozen pint glass and served with an orange
Deep golden hazy color with an excellent head. Nicefruit bouquet. Hits the mouth with a crisp and welcome depth. Not a light unassuming beer but more of a spicy complex flavorful beer
This has lunch written all over it.
Added the orange halfway through. Don't recommend. Dulled the flavor and lessened the impact.

ithis would be a fantastic beer if you were buying a keg for both casual and more interested beer drinkers to enjoy.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Dark wheat/gold appearance. Cloudy. Two+ fingers of white head that stick around, and eventually leaves nice lacing.

S: Yeast, hops and citrus at first, then some subdued wheat tones come in.

T: Wheat is big here, with some spicy hops here and there. Orange citrus mixed in there as well. Seemed different with each sip. Nothing is overpowering, though - a mild taste. It is still a pale wheat.

M: Creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel. Decent carbonation leads to a smooth finish.

O: Really enjoyed this on tap, and will have to buy a six pack.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

The folks at Bell's have taken some liberties with the American Pale Wheat style here -- with very nice results.

It pours a little darker than I expected, with good head and nice lacing as it subsided.

Smell is pure pleasure: light spices mixing with citrus, and a hoppy-grassy scent in the background.

The taste starts sweet, with orange and lemongrass, and finishes a bit tart. It's a little unusual for the style, but wow, it works well.

I wanted the mouthfeel to be a bit richer, but this isn't much to complain about. Maybe that's part of the plan by Bell's to make an unorthodox but remarkable wheat ale. One of the best of the summer.

3.41/5  rDev -11%

had this at a 4th of July Party at a friend's house. Beer poured a hazy gold orange and had no visibility. Had no extraordinary smell. the taste was very smooth with very little bite as an aftertaste, but there was a richness to it that clearly separated it from a Lager. Not recommended as a session beer just because of the filling nature the beer.

3.27/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1 finger head

Appearance : hazy, light golden color

Smell : Wheaty and crisp.

Taste : Light for a wheat ale, sweet, wheat malt, hints of citrus and lemon salt spice.

Mouth feel : Smooth but light for a wheat ale.

Overall Truly a summer ale reflecting the Sun on the label. Light and refreshing. A good deck beer.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer pours a light golden color with a white head. Moderate amount of carbonation, good head retention and lacing as well. It looks great, I can't wait to taste this thing.

I have to get my nose really close to the beer to get the smells to come out and play, but with a little agitation and close sniffing I get mostly wheat, with some citrus scent as well.

The taste is also wheaty with a slight citrus accent. I can feel the hops just a bit at the end. This strikes me as a very balanced beer, with nothing jumping out or dominating over everything else. It has some sweetness at the outset and finishes with a nice little bit of bitterness.

Very nice smooth mouthfeel, light and jumpy with the carbonation, but not so light that it feels like nothing.

Overall, a very drinkable and well-balanced beer. Very enjoyable, and makes me feel like summertime, as it is supposed to.

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember last year liking this beer much more. I remember a full and nearly creamy wheat palate with herbal and slightly citrusy hops that made it a perfect beer for summer. This year it tastes much more flat. I bought this the week it came out so it was fresh and as I moved through the six pack the beer did not show any colors. Boring taste that does not have any inspiration in it.
Well here is a review of this years first batch:
Served at various temperatures, I found that having it cold actually kept the beer tasting crisp, which is better than just boring. A moderate amount of carbonation revealed spicy hops and cracked wheat flavors, but the scent was mixed with more cardboardy and metallic flavors. Still it was a muted nose.
The flavor was refreshing for the first drink but as I continued through the beer, I found nothing intriguing. Which is not all bad if the flavors are clean and vivid. But the flavors just don't come alive. The hops are too muted for such a bland wheat profile. No creaminess either. The carbonation is pretty good, but this just seems watery and minerally.
Too bad, I used to love the price and availability of this summer beer. This could use some lovin'. I taste no inspiration in this beer.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Served in a tall glass with an orange. Orange and cloudy with two inches of head.
S: Like a fresh orange!
T: The taste is of wheat, orange, and light citrus hops that leave a slightly bitter aftertaste. Well-balanced.
M: Light-medium bodied as the style would suggest. Smooth and carbonated well.
D: Exceptionally easy to drink. Great session beer. I've had a six-pack in a night and know many others who have as well.

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz Bottle poured into ping glass. Packaged 2/23/2012

A. Translucent yellow bottom, and a dull orange on top. 1 1/2 finger head.

S. A little citrus, a little of the malts, and a little wheat. A little more than you get on some macros.

T. A hint of lemon, then a bit of biscuity malts. Then you're left with a hint of a hop/wheat bitter after taste which is pretty nice.

M. Real creamy, and easy to drink. Little bitter back end which wants you to drink more.

O. Its a pretty good Wheat Ale. Pretty mild, smooth, and creamy beer. Pretty decent price point $8sih a 6 pack with a decent ABV. If you're a fan of bells malts and style then this shall suffice you on a hot spring/summer day!

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Hazy straw in color, looks refreshing. A bit of lacing, but it doesn't last more than a few minutes.

S- A bit musty with some citrus, lemongrass.

T- More wheat than I expected, but also quite a bit of citrus and a bitter finish.

M- Satisfying body, just right for this style.

O- Very good representation of the summery wheat ale. Plenty of flavor and good for sipping on a hot day.

Gonna squeeze an orange or lemon in it next time.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

This is not your typical wheat. Even if you have tried other wheat beers this is the one is different. You will find more citrus influence with Bell's Oberon Ale than others of this type. Oberon is great with BBQ or sea food. It pours more golden than other wheat beers.

The pale ale influences defiantly show through with a good hop finish. I will drink this seasonal brew again soon and often as soon as they make more!

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%

Great summer session beer. Got a slight head with carbonation and nice lacing in my glass. Can smell the yeast along with the coriander and the taste demonstrates some hops and slight malts balanced well. Medium mouthfeel. Very smooth finish. A good example of what a wheat beer can be.

2.37/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up my first six pack of Obie 2013 from Kroger. One of the best things about living in Michigan? Bell's. As always, Bell's did not disappoint.

Appearance: Bright, pale and hazy gold. The bubbles are fun to watch, and the lacing is great. When it pours, it's beautiful. Nice one finger head. Perfect.

Smell & Taste: Smells of oranges, citrus, wheat. I'm not sure if it's the description on the bottle tricking my mind, but when you smell it, you can't help but think of Summer and being outside with some friends. The taste is amazing. Sweet at first, typical wheat ale, but the magic comes after that. There's a slight bitterness, as well as a fruit-like taste. It's Oberon, and there's something really great about it.

Mouthfeel: Feels great.

Overall, I couldn't wait for Oberon to come out. It's a great wheat ale made by a great Michigan brewery. It's one of the best things about Spring. I will be buying many more six packs and mini-kegs in the months to come.

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

Okay, this beer is exactly why I tend to be annoyed by the recent "craft" craze. Bell's has quickly become the darling of the craft movement--at least where I live--and this beer is average at best.

The head was totally absent, and the beer's color was the same as if I just pissed into a glass after some light yard work. It is watery and thin, and a sickly pale color when compared to other wheats, like Starr Hills The Love, for example. The mouthfeel was water, and similar to a Bud. Sorry, but I have drank a lot of Bud, and this has the same feel to it.

The smell was average. It just smelled like someone popped open an adjunct lager. Nothing to writng home about, and nothing to really dog the beer over.

The taste was very mediocre. It was not bad, but it also was not great. This is a huge problem to me, because this beer runs about 12 bucks a six pack, and it doesn't even compare to most local or national brands. I could almost buy twelve better beers for just a few bucks more.

This is the first beer that I had of Bell's, and it basically backs up everything that I think about people acting snobbish about craft beer; this beer is hands down the most overrated beer that I have ever consumed.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

THe beer pours a nice very light yellow. It has some nice wheaty overtones without all of the clove and phenolic tastes usually found in wheat beers. All in all a decent beer that is rather drinkable on a hot summers day.

As far as drinkability goes I am sure I could easily plow through a sixer of this stuff and still not tire of it. Alltogether nothing remarkable but still a decent beer.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin off-white head. It left slight lacing that didn't stick around. Not sure if this is normal, but it had more sediment than I've experienced with other wheat beers.

S- The bottle says that it smells like a summer afternoon...and I wholeheartedly agree. It's full or oranges and other citrus notes. Very refreshing.

T- The citrus hits you up front, dominated by the oranges. I picked up traces of grapefruit and other citruses too. As it finishes, I noticed a nice, bitter hopiness. It's very subtle but settles well on the palate.

M- It was mildly carbonated, less that other wheat ales I've had. Danced around nicely in my mouth.

D- This is a delicious summer beer, highly refreshing and crisp. I didn't notice the 5.8% ABV either. I can definitely see myself picking this up over the summer for hanging out by the pool and grilling.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz->an imperial pint glass

pours into the glass a nice golden amber color with a soft bubbly head that faded quickly, coated the beer well and laced all the way down

smells of floral wheat and citrus, lemon and orange spicyness and dry biscuity malts

taste very much the same, mainly lemon spice, wheat, malty and biscuity- mainly after it warmed some

mouthfeel is nice and crisp, with a dry finish, somewhat creamy and carbonated well

drinkabiltiy is very high, a nice sessionable brew, great hot weather beer,

my first bells offering, not overly impressed but am glad they finally made it to georgia, can't wait to try some of their other highly touted beers

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Poured into a weizen glass. Nice golden orange color with a good head that lingered for a while. Not much sediment even though I swirled the last inch of beer in the bottle before finishing my pour.

S - Really sweet smell. Orange, yeast, a little pine. Very pleasant.

T - not nearly as sweet as it smells, but some definite sweet maltiness, as well as citrus, and some bitterness on the finish. Very good tasting and well-balanced.

MF - a lot of carbonation, maybe a little too much, but otherwise good.

D - Could drink all day long, great summer beer.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a hazy yellow color,has a nice head that does lace and lingers,I think this beer is a tad thin some wheat and malt and hop balance a hint of lemon zest but I was not impressed,I could drink this beer all day then never miss it again,its by no means bad but just unimpressive and a tad overpriced,I guess ya call this a gateway beer I suppose its a heavy hitter in the summer months

4.06/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer when poured into glass had a nice frothy white head, and was very cloudy. Laced the glass fairly well. This beer does not have a very strong smell, I could not pick up on any hops just from smell, it reminded me of most wheat beers. This beer has a very nice, calm taste. It is balanced and smooth, leading to a high score on the mouthfeel and is all around a very drinkable beer. Certainly a beer worth trying.

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%

Ah, Michigan beer!

Poured from bottle into a wheat beer glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a large off-white head that never really goes away at all, even after sitting for a half-hour.

Smells of coriander and citrus with some pale malts and white wheat in the background of the scent. Subtle grassy hops aroma, with just a tiny bit of something that smells like honey (I am unsure as to whether or not honey is used to flavor the beer).

Taste is pretty much exactly what you smell... Coriander and citrus, honey flavor, subtle grassy hops and white wheat.

Overall a very well balance, very well done beer.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer pours a cloudy yellow and has about 1 fingers width of head on top that dissolved pretty fast. I think it smells really fruity and wheaty. The taste has a good amount of hops and a lot of carbonation. Theres some citrus taste in there too, kind of like orange. It is very easy to drink and not a bad summer beer at all.
So far I have liked everything I have had from Bells. My only complaint with them is that their bottle designs are just plain ugly.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Oberon, like its namesake, is about as summery as you can get. Light, pleasant aromas, fruity wheat taste, and an even, light carbonation make this a great quaffing beer. Pours golden and a bit cloudy, as one would expect. It's a good counterpart to something a little bigger, like Sam Summer Ale. An enjoyable brew, one that makes summer seem even nicer.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

A: pale yellow, cloudy dense white head
S: wheaty, bready faintly of hops
T: malty with a hint of sourness in the back. the tang of wheat
M: full with a dry finish
D: Above average. I could drink several.

I avoided this beer for a few years. Now that its distributed in my state, I see it with new eyes. I used to look down on it because it was Bell's cash cow, but in the light of day, this is a damn fine beer.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.