Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 6,131
4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Ah, Michigan beer!

Poured from bottle into a wheat beer glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a large off-white head that never really goes away at all, even after sitting for a half-hour.

Smells of coriander and citrus with some pale malts and white wheat in the background of the scent. Subtle grassy hops aroma, with just a tiny bit of something that smells like honey (I am unsure as to whether or not honey is used to flavor the beer).

Taste is pretty much exactly what you smell... Coriander and citrus, honey flavor, subtle grassy hops and white wheat.

Overall a very well balance, very well done beer. (613 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

Sometimes ales are a little too sweet and caramelly for me, so at times, I'm hesitant to choose an ale. This was a good one. A full-bodied flavor, the malt wasn't too sweet - but there was that hint. A little hint of hops balanced nicely. I might have had another had the tenderloin not just come off the grill then. I guess this beer reopened an avenue of beers for me that had been under construction. (403 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured fresh from a bottle from yesterday's release day. Love the label design, especially the box.

Ok, this year's batch of Oberon is hazy gold with some unfiltered floaties. Beautiful silky solid white head with great lacing that just coats the glass. Definitely looks appealing.

The nose is dropping hints of 'thin' and 'light'. Light wheat and lemon/orange rind aroma. Eh.

I'm getting all wheat and orange in the taste, some light sweetness. Very mild flavor with an extremely light aftertaste. Very drinkable.

Medium-light body, extremely smooth on the mouth. Perfect carbonation. Good summer session beer.

Overall Oberon is a very inoffensive beer from all angles that most anybody can enjoy. (707 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Porter's Pub in easton, Pa. Nice 1 finger head with smells of wheat and grass. Taste is very good and slightly creamy, yet crisp. This is a beer that could be sessioned on a hot summer day with ease. Mouthfeel is very good and lets you know you are drinking something better than most. This beer does exactly what Bell's wanted it to. Another top quality offering by Bell's. (384 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%

Nice citrusy wheat for the summer. Tastes very smooth and has nice undertoes of citrus and floral. Had in bottles as well as on tap. The tap is much better than the bottle. I would still buy this ale for those long summer boat trips.

The mini-keg can (5l) size is also as good as the tap. I recommend no garnishes with orange or lime because I feel that the acidity of the fruits change the flavor some. (407 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured hazy orange with nice white/orange head. Lots of floaties in this beer like every other Bell's product I have had. Lacing is present to the last drop. Much to my surprise there is not much smell to lure you in. Others note a nice hop citrus smell. I smell malt and maybe a touch of citrus but not enough to speak of. I think this is just me though, I just like a hop aroma as opposed to malt. Has a nice citrus/hop entry with a smooth feel in the mouth followed with a gentle hop/malt finish. Interesting carbonation (it is highly carbonated). This is a good summertime beer and I was pleased enough with it. Very refreshing citrus/hop/malt balance. Well done in the flavor/mouthfeel department. Too bad that there was nothing that jumped out at me with this one; this makes going back to it for 9 bucks a six pack a little more than I can bear. It is just way too expensive for what it is. I guess Gumballhead spoiled me...there is no contest between this and the 3F product for this variety. (1,000 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A: A hazy orange-amber with sediment bits floating in suspension. Nice frothy head with moderate retention and decent lacing

S: Clean citrus, spices, and sweet wheat, almost yeasty.

T: Lemon and orange citrus hops up front, with a lingering earthy and spicy aftertaste.

M: Smooth, medium bodied with a nice balance of carbonation

O: A delightful wheat brew. Easily drinkable. My favorite summer beer. (406 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a golden yellow with a small, wispy head.

Hard to ascertain a smell. Doesn't smell bad but the minimal smell of honey and clover is hard to get but pleasant.

Taste is of a light honey wheat-beer but nothing outlandish going on. I was expecting something more complex than this.

Overall not a summer beer I'll try again though I wouldn't say it's below average either. (376 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oberon has a spicy hop in it. It is not brewed with orange as people may think. It is just water, malt, yeast and hops. On tap at the brewery they have Mango Habenero Oberon and they put those ingredients in the kettle. (219 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -13%

A - cloudy like you'd expect a wheat beer to be, though pale, with a white slightly fizzy-ish head.

S - sweetish and something that I'm not sure I can identify. I don't know if it's related to hops or wheat (if I had to guess though, I'd say hops, or even yeast).

T - light and refreshing, though less depth of flavor than I'd been expecting. My favorite flavors come at the end and seem to be quite wheaty or grassy and last for a while.

M - light and crisp.

D - I could see making an afternoon out of this beer easily, but I'd prefer a classic hefe to this. (564 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Appearance - Dull shade of earth brown, modest carbonation bubbles breaching the surface, limited head that quickly fades into nothingness

Smell - Subtle hint of wheat wrapped with a clean dirt smell infused with delicate fruit and floral burst with added malt and hop

Taste - Initial natural flow across the palate that builds up to and teases the taste buds only leading to an apex of pain free bite

Mouthfeel - Uniform smoothness with ample moisture release

Overall - Effortless drinkability and splendid seasonal (520 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, light orange with a dominate white head which disappears rather quickly.

Smell: Mild aroma with initial scent of wheat and yeast, followed by a strong orange fruit aroma.

Taste: Heavy wheat flavors followed by intense citrus oranges. Lacks much carbonation, but otherwise is quite smooth.

Mouthfeel: Average dryness. Reminds you of the summer months of sunshine and relaxation. Doesn't quite leave you wanting another sip, but makes you crave summer-like food. (492 characters)

I love this beer. I'm from Michigan and this is a Michigan beer making it that much better. You have to try this beer at some point it is my favorite beer!! (158 characters)

A - Hazy, dull orange. One finger head that fades to some moderate lacing.

S – A very nice grapefruits smell.

T - Very good. Starts off as your typical wheat beer, but then fades to a very nice ripe grapefruit taste that lingers in the aftertaste. Not too complex, but very simple and very good. The flavor doesn't feel added like some, but compliments the rest of the beer very well.

M - Great, not acidic or too sweet, very crisp.

D - High. No alcohol taste to speak of, I could drink these all day.

A great summer brew. Every year I cant weight until the first kegs hit my distributors so I can get one. This is my favorite summer brew and everyone who has tried it loves it. It’s a great hit at summer cook outs. (733 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Some friends got a hold of one of those mini kegs of this stuff. So it was a very large can.

A: hazy like a wheat beer; straw in color.

S: bready with a bit of tang.

T: very different than a wit or hefe; a lot more barley taste. Kind of a straw flavor but with some tangy aftertaste.

M: creamy and smooth.

D: I could drink this all day but I won't. Its the queen of tailgating beers, especially if you are looking for better offerings than BMC. (451 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Hazy golden yellow, two finger head with little lacing.

S - A very unpleasant yeast phenolic is popping out at me mixed with some mellow wheat undertones.

T - Its definitely a yeast derived aroma and flavor I dont care for in this beer. The underneath malt is mild and theres no hop flavor.

M - Right to style. Medium light body mated to a good amount of carbonation

D - I had a difficult time getting through this one. Obviously its a popular beer but something in the yeast is really killing it for me. (512 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into glass with quickly disappearing head.. Usually I garnish this with an orange.. Today did not have any but either way a good beer for a nice 90 degree day... Usual wheat beer taste but I really enjoy these on hot days.. Will get couple cases again in 2011.. (268 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Golden in color, very hazy, you can literally see the particles suspended. I almost want to swirl the glass to make it act like a snow globe.

S - Not a very strong smell, but decent. Definitely wheat and slight citrus notes.

T - Strong Wheat, grainy hops, citrus on the back end

M - Very light, and just the right amount of crispness.

I could drink these all day, not a beer I would order at a restaurant but definitely something I would have handy in the fridge for a lazy day. (486 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%

The appearance of this OBeron Ale from Bell's Brewery was a pale orange almost gold with a white foam edge. The smell a slight citrus with grainy in it. The taste was a little bit of grain with an orange character taste with a hop to it as well. The overall quality of the beer was very good and I'd recommend it. (313 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Golden orange, with about a finger of a frothy white head.

Aroma & Taste: Not an overpowering nose, has orange notes with some grain. The beer is medium bodied with orange and citrus. There is also a slight bitter, earthy aftertaste. Great summer beer, especially when garnished with an orange. (307 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance : Orangjsh golden yellow

Smell: Orange and wheat smell

Taste: Citrus taste given off by the orange, and has a very good balance. Fruity aftertaste.

Overall: Oberon is my second favorite bell's beer following behind their two hearted. Sorry Larry Bell, I prefer a nice slice of orange in my pint with it as well! (326 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A great summer beer. Tastes like summer - light and refreshing to drink when it's hot outside. Yeasty with citrus after notes. Cloudy yellow body with a mildly hoppy aroma. The beer maintains a crisp and refreshing taste. Frothy white head holds the body of the beer. (267 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

I initially thought this beer was supposed to be of a very strong orange flavor because of the picture and how people always put oranges in it, but now I know it is a very nice wheat ale with a citrus yeast to add that flavor. Also, Larry Bell's intentions were to never have orange slices in this beer. Very light beer with good flavor for a nice summer day. (359 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oberon is one of my favorite beers, I especially enjoy drinking this beer as the temperatures begin to rise and I can enjoy it outdoors. As advised I requested this beer without the orange to really get a feel for the taste of the recipe. I could definitely taste the fruity notes in the beer and it made for a very smooth and crisp taste. (339 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

The color of this beer is a medium yellow. The aroma you get is a slight fruit smell and is not that overpowering. Tasting this beer it is fruity with a little tang to it and it goes down pretty smoothly. (204 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.