Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,650 | Hads: 6,141
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

The color of this beer is a medium yellow. The aroma you get is a slight fruit smell and is not that overpowering. Tasting this beer it is fruity with a little tang to it and it goes down pretty smoothly. (204 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I love almost all of Bell's beers, however Oberon tends to be a bit overrated. I get an artificial orange taste from it. I know during production no orange is added to the beer, however I can't get the off taste to go away. Nonetheless, this is a nice summer beer for the beer. They have cans now too! (301 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the definition of summer. Refreshing, smooth, crisp, and citrusy. I do believe it needs to come from on tap, cans/bottles don't provide the same enjoyment. (168 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

Color - Yellowish, Cloudy

Aroma - Fruity, orange characteristics

Palate - Smooth, orange notes, bitter aftertaste

Overall - Tastes great, would make a wonderful Summer afternoon beer! (187 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

I am going to be a stereotypical Michigander right now but this is my absolute favorite beer for the summer. I love the light citrus notes and the smell of hops when you open it. Bell's does a great job with this beer and there is no question to as why it does well. Even when you first pour it looks phenomenal with it's light amber color! (340 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful well rounded Ale. Perfect for summer evenings. The Citrus aroma rounds the full body a wheat ale can often have making it uniquely light for a wheat ale. (163 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Look: golden hazy color
smell: sourdough bread, lemon citrus
taste: smooth, crisp and refreshing
aftertaste: doesn't linger, nice dissipating taste
overall: one of my favorites (177 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz Bottle from Wine Country Illinois, Homer Glen, Illinois
Apparence:
A orange-amber cloudy color. You can see the wheat and hops in the beer. Unfortunately, first glance I could only think of a drug-test specimen!
Aroma:
A wheaty fruit filled-frangrance made this beer quite appealing to me.
Taste:
Medium bodied and refreshing. You could taste the Saaz hops and a distinct but not overpowering citrus flavor. A quality well-balanced beer.
Mouthfeel:
Smooth, creamy, and not very carbonated. Great for the summer evening grill-outs.
Drinkability:
Very refreshing. A good wheat beer and not overpowering. This is the best wheat beer I have had! However, I'd have to leave it in the bottle! (706 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

This is an extremely refreshing beer to drink. I am not a huge wheat beer guy, but this beer I really enjoyed.

Poured a pale orange color with a two finger head which dwindled away fairly quickly.

Strong smell of citrus; orange, a little lemon.

Taste is extremely refreshing. Not a strong wheat taste. Has a good deal of carbonation to it.

Very citrusy as far as taste is concerned. Hoppy but not bitter.

Very good beer overall.

Perfect for the warmer months. (466 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.8%

I was looking for an outstanding handcrafted wheat ale when I picked up this one.It's ok ,by far not the icon I was looking for but it goes down good.

A-Dark yellow with yeast suspended throughout.Were did the head go?

S-weak,not strong,no comment.

T-good,orange peel+coriander

M-med to light body with good bubbles.

D- Very easy to drink if you like yeasty brews.

The price was expensive ,the beer was ok. (413 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%

First beer review. Batch#10313 or bottled on 3/31/11.

A- Pours a straw yellow/orange. Slight haze in the body, creamy looking head.

S- On the nose I get a nice sweetness from the malt. Fresh citrus in the background.

T- Refreshing beer, sweet malt, light floral and citric notes. Bready finish.

M- Creamy with good carbination.

Overall, this beer is great. Bell's has another winner with this one. Everything I want in a wheat ale, and I am not that big of a fan of them. Perfect summer beer to kick back with. (517 characters)

3.85/5  rDev 0%

A: Two fingers of fluffy off-white head that falls to a film of bubbles and leaves nice lacing, color is yellow-orange and hazy.

S: Nice subtle breadiness, light vanilla and floral hops.

T: Smooth, mild, vanilla and caramel, nice hope flavor and bitterness to balance.

M: Smooth medium carbonation and creamy.

O: Very nice, smooth, quite a tasty brew. (355 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - golden pour with a medium/small white head, hazy yellowish with

S - tangy orange, pears, grapes, tons of hops, lemons, and some orange peel?

T - cereal, some hints of earthyness yeast and wheat, nice touch of citrus. definitely get hints of the wheat/tart/sour notes

M - sour yet refreshing wheat ale, nice notes of fruity and earthy combinations. Very enjoyable brew (411 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Somewhat hazy, golden-yellowish color, with a decent size white head.

Smell: Hint of citrus, but mainly a strong smell of wheat.

Taste: Citrusy, good balance, refreshing and somewhat wheat-y.

Overall: Very delicious! perfect for the warmer weather coming soon

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and somewhat light.

Serving Style: Bottle (338 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. A cloudy light golden color with about 2 fingers of dense white foam. Head slowly faded, but left plenty of lacing.

S - Could smell the hops through the wheat, although the overall smell of the beer was generally weak, making undertones harder to pick out.

T - Taste was very well balanced. The hops, while providing a substantial backing to the wheat flavor, stayed well in their place. Some nice undertones, maybe citrus. Very nice.

M - Good body, a little heavy on the carbonation. Has a bit of a carbonation bite at the end.

D - Very drinkable. A good conversation beer. (611 characters)

Ok, here's the wheat beer that I really enjoy. One of the few exceptions to the strict 'no-wheat' policy
that I have. I regularly purchase 3 cases or more each year. I'm into 'local' beers and Bell's makes some
of the best around. This is a great lighter beer alternative to my steady diet of IPAs and double IPAs
Don't stockpile this, get some fresh or on tap.
I have tried most of the other AWPA's listed on the right side of the page, and disliked them! I'm willing
to try wheaties, just don't like 'em. I'm a big fan of both Southern Tier and Boulevard, but their wheat
beers still suck. (594 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

This is a great summer ale. Has a nice hazy yellowish-golden color. You can taste the citrus flavors. If you want a real treat, put a slice of orange in your beer. Great light beer for people who don't want something too heavy.

Overall it is my favorite summer beer. (267 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

Visual: Pours a cloudy straw color.
Smell: A very powerful fruity smell of lemons and oranges. Smell of wheat.
Taste: Strong taste of oranges. Light spicy notes such as black pepper.
Overall: A good summer beer. Slightly overrated for all the attention it receives. (268 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pale golden yellow/orange
Smell: strong citrus and fruity
Taste: orange and mild spice and hop
Overall: I enjoyed how refreshing and crisp the beer is and my pallet liked the fruit/citrus flavors (202 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours a nice cloudy gold with a foamy head that drops down to just some lacing.

Smell: Some citrus and flowery hop aromas come out, but nothing overpowering.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Tastes good, some citrus flavors, nice carbonation gives it a refreshing crisp taste initially and on the finish. Light bodied excellent summer beer.

Notes: I think I'd rather have two hearted ale, but its another solid beer from bell's. (437 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT! (968 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

I first had Oberon in May as part of a beer dinner at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta. I was not expecting much, wheat beers (or ales) not being my "thing". Man, was I surprised. Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer is a cloudy pale orange - really quite lovely in its own right. The aroma was somewhat fruity, but not hoppy. I didn't spend too much time on admiring it, however, and tasted it - wow, talk about being blown away. This beer is simply so much more full flavored than any other wheat beer I've tasted, and perfectly balanced. Just when you think it might start to be a bit cloying, the bitterness kicks in and vice versa - a very "clean" tasting beer. I liked it so much I pretty much finished the pint before the actual appetizer course was served (Molly at the Porter was kind enough to "top off" my glass when it was). On top of all this, my wife, who is NOT a big beer drinker, truly loved it - the first time I've known her to really LOVE a beer. Since the dinner, I've purchased this in a six pack. While not quite as tasty as on draught, still a wonderful and refreshing beer to have at home. (1,118 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

I've had a lot of Oberon over the years, and I think the 2010 batch is the best I've had, but I'm still pretty indifferent to the beer overall. It's nice because it's release typically marks the beginning of summer, but I find it to be highly overrated. I like many of Bell's products, but I'm not much of an Oberon fan.

A- If there's one thing I do like about Oberon, it's its appearance. It is a very pretty golden and orange beer, a little cloudy. Makes for a good beer to have your picture taken next to by the pool. (I also really dig the label design on the bottle and this year's Dali-themed mini kegs, but that doesn't really count for beer appearance)

S- To me, Oberon's downfall is its smell. I also expect more of a citrusy and crisp nose but every Oberon that I've ever been around has had an unappealing yeasty smell, reminiscent of a college apartment the morning after a kegger.

T- Average summer beer taste-- some honey, orange and citrus. Yeast flavor is also very apparent. I typically don't like to put fruit in my beer, but Oberon is best served with a slice of orange. This makes it above average but I can give the beer by itself only an average rating.

M- Nothing special.

D- Bit of a heavier beer, but also can be more refreshing that others. The drinkability can really depend on what you're doing and what time of year it is: it is highly drinkable outside in the warm sun while you watch the sweat bead down the glass, but not so much in fall when you're inside and the batch has gotten older. (1,527 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a lovely golden color with a generous head, slightly hazy in the glass.

S - Like the bottle says, it smells like a summer days. A fruity scent is balanced with sweet and citrus notes.

T - A refreshing fruity beer with a hint of spice to it. A classic belgian wheat with a twist. Finishes sweet and delicious.

M - Creamy and just the right amount of carbonation. It's great when it's 90 degrees out.

O - A fantastic summer beer that I wouldn't mind enjoying all year round. (486 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

3rd year in a row as my favorite spring-summer brew. I've sampled it every which way you can.
Orange gold. When poured in to an oversized pint glass look for a nice haze of yeast. 2 - 3"'s of beautiful creamy head that takes a little while to subside (usually can’t wait). The nose is not particularly fruity or citrusy, a touch of spice & flowers without the perfume. Very, very smooth, creamy, dry & quenching. Extremely easy to drink (too easy @ 6% ABV) the yeast is perfect with just a smidgeon of sediment left at the bottom of the glass, perfect for the next pour. (573 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.