Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Infamous7100

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

One of my favorites...just now got around to reviewing.

A: Pours a golden/strawlike color. Kind of like hte label says, "the color of a summer afternoon." Unfiltered and cloudy. About a one finger, smooth head in my pint glass. Minimal lacing.
S: Hits with a fruity/bready scent at first. Alchohol peeks through a little, but the fruits overpower it. I'm picking up a lot of lemon and orange in this. A little bit of a grapefruit as well. Some hops do make themselves known too.
T: At first I get the lemon/orange flavor along with the malty sweetness. This fades into a little bitterness as the hops come through. Together, the blend perfectly. Very crisp and smooth.
M: Mild carbonation. Mild hang in terms of the alcohol and hops. As previously stated, very crisp and smooth.
D: This has session written all over it and is the perfect outdoor brew. It doesn't fill you up, but it will satify your tastebuds.

04-19-2009 21:14:07 | More by Infamous7100
naterock

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a Willi, with a cloudy golden color and a foamy white head that dissapates quickly.

Smells kinda funky, with a wheat malt and a good array of spices in the background. A grassy hop.

Tastes like a heartier wheat than I am used to. Good spices like coriander and some orange peel with a sort of undescribable spice that I can't put my finger on. Some bittering hops are present in the finish which is what I think sets this wehat apart from most.

Mouthfeel is really close to perfect but loses me on the carbonation which is a bit too high. kinda dry but crisp and refreshing. Oxy-moron I know but some how it pulls it off. Drinks incredibly easy especially on a hot day. Truly a great beer and I look forward to it's next release.

04-19-2009 16:59:13 | More by naterock
1fastz28

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a really nice cloudy yellow color, but a deeper hue of yellow than most wheat ales, i guess thats where the pale comes from, a little more malt can go a long way i suppose.

smell is good, has a nice spicy yeast aroma to it, not much malt or hops though.

taste is good, after a long day i'm tempting to make it a perfect but i know that would be doing an injustice, but its a good tasting beer.

mouthfeel is good, crisp and refreshing

drinkability is very high, wheat beers are my favorite session beers.

04-19-2009 00:02:01 | More by 1fastz28
UDbeernut

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%

I've been looking for this since it was brewed again. on tap served in a standard pint glass

a: light straw yellow color, slight 1/4" head with fair retention. Did reduce to lace rings around my glass. slightly cloudy but not much compared to other wheat styles.

s: light aroma, slight citrus and wheat

t: to be honest, I found the taste to be bland. I found it to be well balanced, but did not really notice much citrus character. the most I found was a slight sweatness from the wheat and perhaps any spice used.

m&d: light mouthfeel, extremely drinkable

04-18-2009 09:50:13 | More by UDbeernut
minterro

Colorado

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Cloudy golden look with a that when poured is thick and disappears into a pretty think but constend foam. Seems alive with many bubble of carbonation rises

Smell: the malt smells a bit smokey but sweet, clean and pure smell.

Taste: Very well balanced bitter taste. SOOO smooth going down.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation for me, not too overcarbonated when u let it linger, I feel this is a flaw in many beers. Again very smooth with a midium body.

Drinkability: I would like to have another

Conclusion: Great beer overall, would definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Being in college it isn't a beer i would be able to buy year round, however it would be on my list for when I have some extra spending money and looking for a good relaxing beer. Bell's sure knows how to brew their beer TRY IT!

04-18-2009 00:47:07 | More by minterro
PrAndo

Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

A - cloudy like you'd expect a wheat beer to be, though pale, with a white slightly fizzy-ish head.

S - sweetish and something that I'm not sure I can identify. I don't know if it's related to hops or wheat (if I had to guess though, I'd say hops, or even yeast).

T - light and refreshing, though less depth of flavor than I'd been expecting. My favorite flavors come at the end and seem to be quite wheaty or grassy and last for a while.

M - light and crisp.

D - I could see making an afternoon out of this beer easily, but I'd prefer a classic hefe to this.

04-17-2009 00:34:50 | More by PrAndo
stace

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Poor Phil's.

So happy Bell's is back in Illinois! This is the beer that made me fall in love with Bell's. Okay, let's go...

Appearance: Not very cloudy, not much head. By the time I got my glass it was mostly lace.

Smell: To be honest, I'm not getting much of anything off this. Nothing bad, though.

Taste: Ahh, this is why we drink it, isn't it? Lovely. Wheat beer taste, a little sweet but not too much.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light. Great summer beer.

Drinkability: Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. Hot day, glass of Oberon? Yes yes yes. Seriously, though, it's quite drinkable, almost sessionable.

04-17-2009 00:17:14 | More by stace
projectflam86

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Nice cloudy orange color with bit froth that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Sweet citrus and wheat nose. Not alot else coming through.

T- Wheaty bread flavor with orange peel and spice in the finish. Slight hoppy presence in there somewhere with minimal esters. A bit of an alcohol bite but not too much.

M- Crisp and light with a nice amount of carbonation.

D- Easy going down and a nice example of the style. Highly drinkable.

04-14-2009 03:16:22 | More by projectflam86
BeenJammin

Kansas

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Oberon has a nice appearance. It is pale, straw in color with a pretty large white head. It smells like wheat and lemons. The flavor and mouthfeel are fairly light but it has a nice lemon and sweet malt flavor. It has a decent drinkability mainly because it has, "the color and scent of a summer afternoon". That qoute pretty much says it all, it is good for what it is.

04-12-2009 02:48:31 | More by BeenJammin
cnally

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

wow. I don't love wheats by any stretch. but this is a grand looking beer, with even displacement of the sediment. nice bright orange yellow color and a frisky white head that remains for lacing.

orangey, cirtusy scent right up front. yeasts come through after that.

slightly yeasty and citrus flavors initially. the hop flavor is balanced and smooth n the posttaste. mild bitterness at the end.

very light feel, with a needless sense of macro lager type carbonation.

easy to drink, really delicious for the style an expressive of the summer beer that fills your mouth with an easy time.

04-11-2009 22:01:46 | More by cnally
mjthor

Iowa

Poured into a weizen glass; golden color with a somewhat thick, white head. Cloudy like a wheat beer should be.

Smell is exactly what you'd expect: bread and wheat with a hint of hops and citrus.

Amazingly refreshing, citrusy, and fruity. Definitely one of the best "summer" beers I've had. For what it is and sets out to be, this beer is great.

04-11-2009 20:54:08 | More by mjthor
raninator84

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Had a bottle of this given to me by a distributor at work. I had bought one a week before the new release so I know it was about a year old, it tasted horrible, the beer had definitely gone bad. I figured I would give the fresh one a shot, glad I did.

A - Exactly what I like to see, cloudy golden and bottle conditioned goodness.
S - The smell isn't exactly pleasing at first then the orange peel, and wheat flavors build up. Definitely a summer brew.
T - Carbonation and wheat flavors hit the palate first, followed by a refreshing taste of orange peel and citrus that is well balanced.
M - Lots of carbonation a bit of hops, but a generally refreshing feel, I could see me drinking this one on a 90˚ day this summer.
D - I feel that this is one of the better seasonal summer brews, and would recommend everyone to try.

04-09-2009 02:50:30 | More by raninator84
mwagner1018

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Golden, slightly cloudy wheat present, poured with about 1 finger of very white light head, clears quite quickly.

S- Fantastic sweet, fresh, light and airy, with a nice lemon zest aroma, slight note of spice.

T- Very simple and clean in a good way, just enough hops to balance the flavor.

M- Crisp, nice texture and residual sweetness, with just a slight bitterness, clean and very fresh. Good light carbonation.

D- Yes, this beer completely fulfills my spring desire to have a nice refreshing balanced beer. I have always liked Oberon when I'm in the mood for a solid American Wheat...this one is top notch.

04-09-2009 00:50:23 | More by mwagner1018
farrago

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Thin, bone white head, mixture of bubble sizes, dissipates swiftly, equally light lacing. Light cloudy yellow color, opaque in spite of lightness, does have that gauzy summertime look to it. The nose at once anchors itself solidly in your nostrils and spaces out the scents to avoid the kind of density which makes it seem blockish, soft spoken lemon peel, wheat germ, white bread, pinch of sweetish baking spices, more so offers an unassuming earthiness. Medium-bodied, holds onto its weight throughout, from the first sip balance and restraint are clearly among its hallmarks. The wheat, oat, bread dimension round and without greenness, some residual sweetness in the orange, lemon citrus, surely doesn't require an actual wedge. Cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander spice unobtrusively present. Perhaps some apricot or peach fruit notes. Even the carbonation is demure, if there's any real complaint it may actually be tactful to a fault. Cleans up well through the finish.

04-08-2009 03:42:25 | More by farrago
BarrelO

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Batch 8992, packaged on February 26, 2009.

A: Hazy light orange with a nice two-finger head.

S: Hops, citrus, and sugar.

T: Like a cross between a pilsner and a wheat beer. Spicy hops, sweet bready malt, and lemony tartness. Quite unlike any other wheat beer I've ever had.

M: Light with plenty of carbonation.

D: Unique and refreshing. Recommended.

04-08-2009 02:39:39 | More by BarrelO
KI9A

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Hazy, cloudy, bubbly medium orange color. Big 'ol puffy head. Ok retention, nice lace chunks.

S: I'll be damned if it doesn't have the "scent of a summer afternoon"! Fruity, wheaty, yeasty.

T: Follows smell. Citrusy/corrander Wit-ish taste. Some bitterness on the back. very pleasing.

M: Some sourness covers mouth. Refreshing as hell.

D: Will pick more up to quaff this summer. Strangly reminds me of a Wit, but heavier, tastier.

04-08-2009 01:27:12 | More by KI9A
craftaddict

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours an ever so slightly hazy golden amber with lots of bubbles rising to the top into a short-living white head that dissipates to a swirl and ring quickly leaving traces of lacing. Aroma is sweet with bready wheat balance with the citrus hops with lemons and oranges. Taste follows the aroma with the big wheat backbone up front and a slight hop bitterness in the finish with mainly citrus. A hint of spices show up in the taste that I didn't get in the smell. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with tons of carbonation, good summer drinking.

04-08-2009 01:17:13 | More by craftaddict
flexinwext

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

I have heard great things about this one so I wanted to give it a try. At first pour I am getting a nice sweet aroma, not too much head and it receeds slowly. Like the scent, a nice sweet taste, some yeast. Slightly hazy but nothing I did not like. Light body. Overall a good beer from Bell's. I would probably go out and buy this again, great for nice summer days in rainy Ohio.

04-07-2009 17:59:00 | More by flexinwext
Reagan1984

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Time to try one of the Bell's lighter offerings.

A fluffy light head forms atop the pale gold colored beer. Head fades rather quickly.. A touch cloudy, but not too much. Certainly more towards the end when the sediment comes into the glass.

Very light aroma. A little yeast a little bread. Slightly sweet

I try never to write this, but sometimes you just have to... "The flavor follows the aroma." There, I said it.. Nice flavor and it's a touch sweet, nice bread flavor and a nice touch of yeast.. The slightest hit of spice, but very subtle.

Mouth feel is bright and the body is very light. Very drinkable and a wonderful session beer. Not too bad at all.

04-07-2009 11:45:09 | More by Reagan1984
Frosty80

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Color: pours a light yellow. sits cloudy gold with just a hint of orange

Smell: very light and crisp with some orange and other mild citrus fruits. some yeast

Taste: very light, fruity flavors. mostly a yeasty presence, with very light malt sweetness. no bitterness

Mouthfeel: light body. moderate carbonation

Notes: a great, light, fruity hefeweizen for warm summer days

04-07-2009 05:43:30 | More by Frosty80
Aaron58

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

First Oberon ever for me. Bought at Friar Tucks in Crestwood, MO. 7.99/6pk!

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Beautiful light orange. Truly looks like summer in a glass as they describe it.

S- Actually oddly sweet on the nose. Some orange, maybe some kind of spice.

T-Really pleasing. The spice is there, great backbone of malt and sweetness. Just kills any wheat beers I have had.

D-Fantastic. I cant wait until the weather heats up a bit so I can cool down with this. I feel like I could drink this from the bottle too and still enjoy it if I am at a park or something. Lived up to the hype for me.

04-05-2009 20:18:22 | More by Aaron58
MisterSub

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Had a 6-pk brought to our daughter's party.

Drank them out of the bottles, but poured one after people left. Decent head.

Smell was easy on the nose but you knew it was there.

Mouthfeel was great.

Taste was also great and these went down very easily.

It came highly recommended and I can see why.

04-05-2009 12:19:47 | More by MisterSub
rwdkosak

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

First Oberon of the year for me...I was a bit late but not too bad for the first week of April.

Poured lightly chilled into pint glass producing a nice light head over copper-gold color with quite a lot of carbonation rising to the top.

The nose is sweet and quite pleasing, as is the taste and a fantastic example of the style. Nothing extremely complex but certainly very drinkable, a perfect addition to a nice warm day in the sun.

04-05-2009 01:55:52 | More by rwdkosak
kbutler1

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked up a couple of six packs just the other day her in Minneapolis.
Poured a nice yellow gold into a pint glass. Head was good but faded fairly quickly.
Smell was quite mild, but in a good way.
Mouthfeel was also good.
Slight bitter ending that reminded me of a fruit rind.
This is a beer I could drink all day!

04-04-2009 13:57:55 | More by kbutler1
Sean9689

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

This is one of my favorite go-to beers along with FFF Gumball Head. Orange tint, white head, not much carbonation. Very clean on the palate, great finish. Orange flavors are predominant on this beer. A very easy-to-drink beer that I will be enjoying all summer long!

04-03-2009 22:13:22 | More by Sean9689
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.