Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked up a six pack of this at a nicer Publix grocery store. Poured into a standard pint glass. Stamp on bottle says 9467. Enjoying this as I watch the Magic/Pacers game.

A: Very light orange with some cloudiness. Decent head with different sized bubbles, retained with half the glass downed.

S: Big time honey on the nose, light oranges, some candied figs and the slightest touch of some ground spice like nutmeg.

T: Honey honey honey with a touch of mild spice. The light citrus in the smell does not come through on the tasting side. I say honey, but this is not artificially sweet-tasting at all. Oberon is a pleasant and refreshing brew, just like the bottle says.

Drinkability: I'll do my best to save one for a later tasting.

Value: At around $12.00 a six pack, you could do better, but you could also do worse.

This is a must try for someone who thinks Blue Moon is the best beer out there. Similar to BM but lots better.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Bought a six pack of this beer at Woodman's during a recent beer run.

This beer has a nice white foamy head and the aroma smells crisp and the citrus/apple/light fruity flavors conjures up memories of warm summer days by the lake.

It's definitely a great summertime beer. I plan to buy more of this and make this more of my go-to session "lawnmower" beer when the seasons change.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA for $3.50 (tax included)

Appearance: Pours the color of pumpkin skin with a 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and lace. The body is slightly hazy.

Smell: Not much going on here. Wheat, a lightly sweet fruit...perhaps pear, and a touch of pale malt.

Taste: Fruity malt (again I'm getting pumpkin and pears but also orange now), a small hop tinge, slightly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Slightly oily, medium body, fairly satisfying.

Drinkability: Sessionable.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

This last summer I have noticed this beer gaining in popularity around the Chicago bars. Was at a bar and chose Oberon over Gumballhead next door. Similar beers.

A: light apple juice gold, nice big white foam head

S: Smells crisp with citrus and wheat coming through.

T: Very crisp and refreshing. Sweet, fruity, and earthy (wheat?). I felt like there needs to be another taste present.

M: Good, light, crisp, and refreshing.

D: High, very drinkable on those spring/fall warm nights.

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

A: light gold, cloudy.

S: Weak but pleasant

T: A little bit sharp, but good. Not to much hops.

M: Smooth, but like I said a bit sharp.

D: Pretty good, but it's better in a bottle than a glass

Overall good. I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle, but I've been more impressed by this beer in the past before I tried to review it.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this at "The Downtown" pub in Warsaw, Indiana on 2009-04-17. Had this again on 2013-04-09 from a 1-week old bottle and liked it more than in 2009 so I raised my rating.

The ale is a very transparent golden color with a short, white head. There's light lacing that sticks around.

There's a crisp, light wheat grain taste and a bit more hop bitterness than you typically find in a summer wheat. I liked this hops surprise.

There's a certain, distinct other flavor that is hard to place for me. Maybe light-candied fruit that balances nicely with the hpos.

The mouthfeel is light-medium and the carbonation is medium.

A very refreshing beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

So to set the story, about 6 months ago me and the Mrs. took a drive to an animal shelter in York County, PA where we picked up a puppy that the wife had her eye on for weeks. I wanted to name the little guy after a beer, and we chose Oberon (a beer I've had but not yet reviewed). So now, my little man is a 70lb monster and he's still growing. On to the review...

Appearance: A rough pour yields a cloudy, light golden colored brew with a small bit of very thin bubbly head that doesn't hang out for very long. There is a little bit of runny, soapy lacing.

Smell: A very mild sweetness with a slight grassy kind of smell. Overall it's very subdued and difficult to pick up.

Taste: Sweet, almost a fruity kind of sweetness, with virtually no bitterness. There's a bit of a grassy wheat kind of taste, but it's the sweetness that sticks out the most.

Mouthfeel: A nice refreshing medium body with good carbonation and a great overall texture.

Drinkability: Overall a tasty brew. It has a great mouthfeel, and a nice sweet taste to it. Definitely a beer you can enjoy throughout the whole night. Not my top choice in styles, but good nonetheless.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank a lot of this in Milwaukee. It was kind of the Midwest wheat beer, although Blue Moon had been making inroads.

Not really my style, although Bell's is one of my fave breweries. Well made, good wheat flavor. An orange probably goes better with it than a lemon, if you're into that kind of thing. I think there's plenty of citrus flavor already in it, and an appreciable degree of wheat, soft body, easy enough to drink. One of the best representations of a wheat beer, and certainly the best east of Sierra Nevada that I can think of.

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%

Huge rocky head served from a jockey box at the Big Pour in Scottsdale. eventually settled down. Color is golden with a slightly orange tint. The aroma is very fruity. Definantly an ale with a nice citrus note. The taste is simply that of a fruiity wheat beer. I am sure it is going to be a big hit here in Arizona, the girl pouring it said it would be available year round in Arizona starting next month. Mouthfeel is pleasantly light. There is a citrusy lemony note which is prominent but not overpowering Aftertaste is bready and clean.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Reviewed solo served out of a pint glass.
Appearance: slightly cloudy and wheat colored and poured a 1 finger white head which dissipated rather quickly and left minimal lacing.
Smell:wheat and a hint of green fruit.
Taste: opens with wheat and light grains as a hint of unripened green apple and light malt character emerges from the middle to the end leaving a light and grainy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, moderate carbonation and crisp and rather clean

Drinkability: I would have this again and recommend this to someone who wants a relatively light bodied wheat andmalt profile and simple flavored ale with little aftertaste.

4.82/5  rDev +26.5%

12 oz bottle has a freshness code of 9138. Pours a very hazy golden color with a large sized cap of fluffy white foam. Retention is good and leaves tons of lacing on the glass. The only eyesore with this beer is the fairly large chunks of yeasty brown sediment that settle near the bottom of the glass.

Smell mainly consists of ripened orange flesh and crisp, tangy wheat. There is some underlying bready yeast aroma and maybe even a touch of kaffir lime leaves and grassy hops.

Taste has some characteristics of a typical American wheat ale, but has a creamy, yeasty flavor that reminds me of a German hefe without the banana and cloves. There is a definite, but soft hop flavor and just enough bitterness to finish clean and easy. Leaves nary a hint of aftertaste. This is one amazing summer beer and one I would buy by the case if it were to be available in Texas. Deee-licious!

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hard to believe it's been five years since I first started getting into beer. I say this because this was one of the first brews that I really, truly enjoyed and after all this time, I wondered if this would still be as good as I remembered it. Sure enough, I found this down in Durham, North Carolina on my way home from being on the road all summer and had to grab it. Toss in a mild night tonight and this one's finally ready to review!

Loved the pour - this has a gorgeous carbonation and glowing amber hue to it and there was a nice head as well. Not a lot of lacing in my glass but darned if the bubbles in this beer aren't pretty to look at! The taste wasn't as fruity as I remember it. Yes, there's wheat in here, floral notes, some soapiness and mild amount of bitterness and resin on the level of a West Coast Pale Ale but this is just a bit too sharp for me. There's probably an equal amount of pale and wheat in this ale but the beer just can't seem to make it's mind up. Nevertheless, it's working for me and the consistency of it is just right!

This is not a session beer but so what? Summer's past and I'm still enjoying this just as much as when I had the rest back in August. Judging by the number of reviews on here, a lot of people have given this a shot and it seems to have enough fans on here. If I could find it on tap again, I'd have it in a heartbeat. This bottled version of it didn't quite live up to the memories I had of quaffing this in the Bay State.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle from the brewery. Refreshing, particularly in Indian Summer day. Pleasant malty aroma on a medium yellow body with a lot of white creamy head, that leaves droplets of lace. Creamy mouthfeel, easy drinking above average mouthfeel. Pleasant beverage throughout, wheat well integrated, mild bitterness that finishes a tad sweet from wheat.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Had on-tap first time in a sampler. Liked it imediately. I searched around over the next few days until I found a distributor that stocked or sold it. Bells definately has some good brews. The Oberon is currently one of my favorite summer brews.
Has a decent white head with an orangish yellow color; cloudy; smells and tastes of citrus and spices. Very refreshing and easy to drink.
Just as good out of the bottle into a pilsner as it is on-tap.

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass. Found this in the back of my DBF, mid October likely isn't the best time of year for this style.

Pours a golden amber color with noticeable sediment floating througout. Frothy 2 finger head and sticky lacing along the sides of the pint glass. Smells of sweet citrus and plenty of wheat and field greens. Taste isn't nearly as strong as the nose. Much sweeter than other wheat beers but still has the earthy tones that keeps me coming back to this style. Only complaint would be the taste is a little too watery for a bottle conditioned ale. Mouthfeel is pretty think. Drinkability is high for the right time of the year while middle of October isn't that.

got a sixer of the obie ale. Not gonna lie, one of my favorite styles.

A- Nice light golden orange color lots of yeast floating about

S-Really didn't notice much smell maybe a bit o wheat

T- To me starts out wheat mid kinda neutral ends of fruit citrus floral and after maybe even a hint of hop?

M- Medium to light body with a medium carb

D- I would say med to high drink ability nice flavor

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

A - Hazy golden yellow, two finger head with little lacing.

S - A very unpleasant yeast phenolic is popping out at me mixed with some mellow wheat undertones.

T - Its definitely a yeast derived aroma and flavor I dont care for in this beer. The underneath malt is mild and theres no hop flavor.

M - Right to style. Medium light body mated to a good amount of carbonation

D - I had a difficult time getting through this one. Obviously its a popular beer but something in the yeast is really killing it for me.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Received a sixer from a friend after his band, http://www.chuckanutdrive.net/ , did a midwest tour recently. Thanks, Steve!

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a hazy yellow straw color with just a thin cap of white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral, just a whiff of wheat, without any outstanding characteristics. The taste had a more pronounced wheat flavor, with a refreshing tangy flavor on the finish I couldn't quite name.

The body was good, solid but light. Drinkability was very good, I could see draining a sixer on a summer afternoon with no trouble. Overall, a very good beer and if it were regularly available to me, it would be in my regular rotation.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

12 floz bottle with 9130 on the back, poured into speckled hen wheat pint glass.

A - good dark straw colour once the yeast gets flowing. not that much head for a wheat beer, about one finger and thats all. the head is white and has some pretty big bubbles on the top.

S - the nose is pretty much just wheat, not much else. it is also quite faint, and can seem almost clean at times. decent amount of yeast in the background. maybe some soft sweetness like a mildly sweet fruit, like a soft apple or pear. as the beer warms it the nose gets a bit more intense, but the flavours remain the same.

T - this is quite a sweet beer. the initial is a very yeast and bready wheat flaour, I really like the taste of this wheat, and am glad I poured it in. aside from that, there is a blunt level of sweetness that is unavoidable. the finish stays the same, but has some of the hops come out for the first time. the aftetaste is just slightly wheaty.

MF&D - a very carbonated medium light body. quite drinkable, but no where near my first choice if I want a wheat beer.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A creamy, mellow, and flavorful wheatale.
___

A: Hazy goldenrod with a persistent off-white two-finger head.

S: Sweet spicy wheat malt and some fruity tones... maybe green apple? Pear?

T: Repeat of the nose, with buttery bread and a certain creaminess.

M: Creamy and heavy.

D: Quite high.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I have had this beer on tap, in mini-keg, and in bottles. I have had it in bottle the most, so that is what I am reviewing.
Appearance is a good cloudy wheat ale. It pours with a slight head on it.
Smell: The beer has a good wheat aroma with a slight citrus scent to it.
Taste: I was blown away by this beer. I spent a summer in Belgium, and this beer reminded me a lot of the witbeers and the lighter more refreshing beers I had over there. It has a nice subtle citrus tone that blends well with the wheat.
Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, and not too carbonated.
Drinkability: My beer of choice for summer, I could not get enough of it.
My only issue was that I did not notice a huge change from bottle to tap. I was expecting to be blown away, but it was the same beer I always had. Either way, this is a great American summer beer.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance and Smell- Poured a nice bright orange with a nice thick head which dissipated completely after a bit and left just a hint of lacing. Smell was very inviting, heavy citrus specifically orange. Definitely a thick herby yeast scent which complimented the abundance of orange nicely.

Taste and Mouthfeel-Taste was of toasty citrus. Definitely alot to this thing. The hops definitely come through and linger with the dry finish. Definitely a bit of carbonation, liked how the juicy citrus was in unison with the herby toasty like taste in this.

Drinkability-Pretty light feel to this thing and multi-dimensional enough to stay interesting. This thing definitely drinks with ease.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Decided to give those cool looking mini-kegs another try, although they have caused me some trouble in the past (i.e. lack of carbonation, aluminum flavor). Yet, if Bell's Oberon is available in this fridge-sized tub 'o beer, it can't be all that bad an idea.

I'm not completely sure I properly classified the serving type, but I doubt that's a huge issue.

Oberon poured a big foamy white head with limited retention and a thin, orange color. Look is summery and refreshing and I'm quite surprised that it maintained all of the personality it has in the traditional 1/2 keg.

Smell is sweet, wheaty and citrusy, but never heavy. Its lack of artificial aromas is actually quite welcoming and it's nice to find a summer ale that doesn't strain to be conventional.

Taste is light, floral and a little hoppy. There is also a nice tangerine bite with a mild spiciness at the close. Wheat character isn't masked, allowing some nice banana esthers to peak out in every sip.

Mouth is extremely light, refreshing and tasty. As the beer warms, a mild bitterness peaks out that nicely offsets the sweeter moments.

This is insanely drinkable and probably the best American Pale Wheat I've ever had. I often feel like APWs come off as a poor man's hefeweizen, but this brew is a cut above and has a taste that is all its own.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

This fella poured a straw gold color with no head. Looks like a nice refreshing summer ale!

Smell was deep and malty. You could really notice the malt scent, which gave it a sweet, caramel like smell. There was a faint hop smell, but nothing discernible or worth writing home about.

This is a summer sipper, alright! It's very light on the mouth, but it's got a soft hop bite riding on top of a soft, fizzy wave. I tasted notes of the aforementioned caramel, but this guy is so light the taste leaves your pallet as quickly as it came. Judging on taste, I wouldn't rate this all that high, but I would bump it up because if it is drank in context (summertime!), it's a perfect sipper.

Super drinkable, I'd order it on a deck somewhere, waiting on a some bbq!

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

A- A cloudy golden orange, with some visible sediment.

S- Wheat, subtle herb, and zest aromas with a small floral hint.

T- Fresh and light citrus taste, very clean with a fruity start. The finish takes a slight turn for the hops, which is a good thing in this summer brew.

M- Feels crisp but not bright and clean. It leaves my mouth watery but without a lot of residual flavor. There is a crisp and refreshing carbonation without being overpowering.

D- Oberon is self billed as having "the color and scent of a sunny afternoon", whereas I would say it is more like a cool, bright, & crisp summer morning where the dew is still on the grass and sunglasses aren't quite needed. I have enjoyed this summer after summer in bottles,in mini kegs, and on tap. Oberon is one of my top 5 summer brews, and I will be looking forward to it next summer.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.