Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)

On tap at The World of Beer. The beer was a hazy yellow color with a thick white head that left a good deal of lacing. It had a grassy/outdoors aroma, with a little citrus. Lemony citrus taste, some malt. The beer was medium-bodied, very refreshing. Would be a great beer on a hot summer day.

lordofthewiens, May 06, 2009

Sixer purchased at Wise Guys in Indiana (suburban Chicago). Second of two bottles I drank.

A- Mostly clear slightly cloudy pale yellow color. 2 Finger head after vigorous pour. Medium lacing on the glass.

S- This part of the beer was most disappointing to me. Had a sour slightly funky aroma. I should say that I expect some sourness from the wheat malt, but something was just a little off.

T- Had a clean, citrusy, slightly sour flavor. The hops were subdued but meshed well with the malt backbone that was present.

M- Smooth, clean and flavorful. Not much bite from the carbonation, this is a wonderful summer beer.

D- Being in Texas, summer lasts 7 months here. If I had access, this could possibly be my summer go to beer.

lysistrata, May 03, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz bottle, thanks to IBUnit63.

Pours a clear, lightly hazed golden yellow, thin white head forms, quickly settles to a thin ring around the glass, few spots of lace stick, looks pretty good. Smell is neat, malty, some wheat, kind of vegetal, citrusy, some light floral, lightly fruity, some biscuit malt, light honey/caramel sweetness. Taste is biscuity, malty and sweet, some honey, wheat, light floral, lightly yeasty, light bit of veggie, bit of citrus, otherwise unexciting. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, refreshing and drinkable if not doing a whole lot for me. Thanks Larry!

Viggo, May 03, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: A cloudy yellowish orange with lots of suspended particles swirling around in it. It has a thick white head that left lots of frothy lace.

Smell: Smell is great with citrus, wheat, and spice.

Taste: Wheat, citrus, spice and hops all make an appearance but none are amazing. Just a little bitter at the end.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Very light and crisp and not nearly as carbonated as I was expecting.

meatmallet, May 02, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into water glass at work. Two Fridays in a row that someone brought beer in, and this time we got Bell's!

Appearance: Cloudy, burnished yellow-orange with small, but persistent head.

Smell: Strong orange smell upfront with wheat and Saaz hops in the background. Unfortunately, the smell becomes muted a couple minutes after pouring.

Taste: Orange flavored citrus countered by spicy (and ever so slightly bitter) Saaz hops. The wheat taste is fairly minimal. The taste of this beer is truly unique, as it seems like an orange flavored Pilsner.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation. Really feels more like a Pilsner despite being a wheat ale.

Drinkability: One of the ultimate summer beers, even though it could use a little more depth. Easy to keep drinking on a nice warm Minnesota day.

bsp77, May 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have this every year and for some reason I never kept anything on it in any of my notebooks. Looks like now is the time.

A- Poured into a pint glass. Nice hazy golden straw color. Nice inch head that sticks around for a little while ending with nice lacing that slides down the glass.

S- Big wheat smell here. Nothing else really just wheat. Maybe the head is covering it up?? Once the head is a little less I can pick up on a doughy smell along with very slight hints of orange (citrus) undertones. Very faint though.

T- Big bitter citrus upfront dying down to a doughy wheat finish. This is not how I remember Oberon but maybe after a year of drinking big hopbombs my palate has taken a change. It's not bad I'm just not use to this. I taste a faint metalic tone to it as well. Not all the time but every once in a while.

M- Nice carbination makes this beer dance over the palate and down the throat. A light beer that is easily in the mouth. Crisp and refreshing.

D- I could drink this as a nice session beer when hanging out with friends sitting on the porch during a warm day. It is to my liking but something says that they might have changed this beer up a little bit over the years.

alleykatking, May 01, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +29.4%

Bright almost backlit appearance, orange color. Medium head and carbonation. Delectably earthy, mostly morel combined with a hint of citrus smell. Clean, crisp, semi-dry taste...no lasting aftertaste. Light to medium, smooth mouth feel. Easily my current favorite domestic ale.

meeomie, Apr 30, 2009

Poured a hazy light copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell feature a sociy wheat malt and an estery yeast.

The taste was upfront spicy with a gradual blending of citrus and caramel. Hints of coriander and perhaps cloves detected as well.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style. Closer to a wit.

Overall a tasty wheat ale.

plaid75, Apr 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap at sharp edge creekhouse outside of Pittsburgh

A: pours a pale golden yellow with a finger of head that reduces down and leaves lots of lacing behind on the glass.

S: very citrusy scent which didn't quite expect, it's actually not intense but us the dominant smell, orange peel and I keep searching for yeast or wheat and it's either barely there or I
Making it up in my head because I just had a saison

T: tastes like someone e put orange slices in my beer, very citrusy, very surprising flavor to me but I like it, it's a very light flavor that isn't intense

M: a little thin but that will gel in the sessionability

D: I want to give this a 5 here because it may be the most sessionable beer I have ever had, but! I can't help but think they could make it even better. Low abv, low abv taste, great easy flavor.

This feels like the grandson of hopslam and the son of two hearted, I'll be continually drinking this for sure.

dukedevil0, Apr 29, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Light yellow with slight greenish tint, like a Japanese green tea, small white head, no lacing.

S = Fresh uncooked pizza dough, some cloves.

T = Light fresh tastes of light wheat bread, cloves, white pepper.

M = Light body, light mouthcoating, low carbonation.

D = This is a pleasant beer that would make a good bbq beer.

Traquairlover, Apr 28, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin off-white head. It left slight lacing that didn't stick around. Not sure if this is normal, but it had more sediment than I've experienced with other wheat beers.

S- The bottle says that it smells like a summer afternoon...and I wholeheartedly agree. It's full or oranges and other citrus notes. Very refreshing.

T- The citrus hits you up front, dominated by the oranges. I picked up traces of grapefruit and other citruses too. As it finishes, I noticed a nice, bitter hopiness. It's very subtle but settles well on the palate.

M- It was mildly carbonated, less that other wheat ales I've had. Danced around nicely in my mouth.

D- This is a delicious summer beer, highly refreshing and crisp. I didn't notice the 5.8% ABV either. I can definitely see myself picking this up over the summer for hanging out by the pool and grilling.

mizzourah, Apr 28, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

1/2 finger white head that dissipated quickly. Beer is a hazy light golden orange color. Looks like a summer beer should!

Smells of oranges, orange peel and wheat.

Tastes of wheat, orange peel, orange, citrusy. I can slightly taste the yeast in the beer, and I didnt even notice it was 5.8% ABV until i looked at the label.

Crisp clean mouthfeel light carbonation.

Very sessionable beer, easy to drink. Ill be buyin some more of this during the summer for sure!

ThePeskyDingo, Apr 28, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured in to a nonic to a nice inch of head. It was a cloudy yellow-orange. It has nice citrus smell with a bit of sweetness. It is a very nice beer. It is a beer to drink after mowing the lawn or while mowing the lawn. It's a good summer beer.

Cheers!

buschbeer, Apr 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

I grabbed a 6 pack of this looking for a nice wheat beer while the weather got warmer. Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: I was a nice orangish-yellow color right out of the bottle with a nice wheat haze to it. It had minimal head that disapated quickly after the pour, which was somewhat a let-down. It left minimal lacing on the way down.

Smell: Had a nice citrusy smell mixed with a little wheat and spice. Smelled very summer like.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Citrusy with a nice wheat flavor and a good hoppy finish.

Feel: It was a light and clean tasting beer. It went down very easily with just the right amount of carbonation. Was a clean finish with no adverse aftertastes. You didnt even notice the ABV.

Drinkability: It went down smooth and finished very easily. Wasnt that filing and overall is a great summer session beer. Great for a relaxing day out in the sun. But, I honestly couldnt finish an entire 6 pack by myself. I would need a friend or two to help me.

Overall, this is a great summer beer. I enjoyed it on a warm evening after being outside for a good part of the day. I've never been a huge fan of wheat beers, so I couldnt finish all of the 6 pack in a sitting. But a very good beer to have one or two at a time.

eckerrob, Apr 27, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Purchased a 6 Pack of Bell's Oberon Ale from Avenue Liquor in Milwaukee, WI on 4/24/09. It was a unusually warm day (80 Degrees), so I figured drinking this ourside before I went out for the evening would be a good idea. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy, straw like golden orange color. A wee bit of lacing, though not that great of head retention.

Smell: The orange bottlecap is obvious after getting a whiff, as you get the scent of citrus, as well as a bit of spice and wheat.

Taste: Fairly similar to the smell, with a fruity balance and refreshing taste.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, though not long lasting.

Drinkability: Overall, I would agree with an older post here; it's a good beer to drink on a warm day when you don't quite feel up to drinking a macrolager and somewhat enjoyable. However, I don't believe the cost justifies the taste. I don't think I'd ever buy a 6 pack to myself, but I'd go half and half with some a friend on it, put it in a created six pack or have it on tap at two locations that I know carries it.

MithosYggdrasil, Apr 27, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +1%

Drank from 12oz bottle on a hot day in the spring.

A- orange-tan with very white foam. "head' (this was a bottle) dissipated quickly and wasn't drank at all. Some people like that, other don't. Average appearance for a wheat ale.

S- Very sweet and citrus like. almost too much like a orange in a bottle.

T- Crisp citrus and light spice. Evident wheat aftertaste. As it warmed up it the bitterness was a little more apparent.

M- Heavier than other beers of its type. Not unpleasant- full and wheaty

D- Drinkability high, this beer goes down smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. tingly and sweet on the back of the tongue.

Overall this is a great beer for the a seasonal state. Warm weather needs oberon.

nikoelnutto, Apr 26, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap into pint glass.

Pale yellow-orange hue with a white one and a half finger head, strong lacing. The aroma has bready grain, with some slight hints of the hops. Citrus, orange peel and lemon, is in the front on top of some light grain aromas. A slight creamy overtone is there. Lighter bodied.

This one came with a bit of hype, but I'm glad I tried it. It's very refreshing, and not like other beers of the same style which seem to over-do the citrus characteristics. Very drinkable.

BeerSox, Apr 26, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

2 words...let down.
Yuk. This beer had nothing appealing to it.
Color looks like a cloudy budweiser. No head, and had no aroma.
Now the taste. Boring, nothing there. it is as if I watered down a Witbier. I wanted more out of this beer.
If you had your pick between this and a hop-sun, I would go with the hop-sun.

Timmush, Apr 26, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap while sitting outside at the local Taphouse during 80F and sunny weather. Let me just say it fit that setting perfectly.

Hazy light orange color.

Smells like a typical wheat beer with slight hints of orange.

Tastes the same. This actually does have a very clean taste and the citrus has a very fresh feel. Taste is all orange and wheat tang, with a bready yeast finish with some bittering hops to boot.

Good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

I could drink a boat load of these during the summer. This is a classic summer session beer.

I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of wheat beers, but as far as they go this would be towards the top of my list.

Vonerichs, Apr 25, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Slightly cloudy pale yellow with a one finger off white head. Head has some retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S- Light note of orange and yeast. Not too much else going on in the aroma.

T- Delicate wheat and yeast with a little orange and hop bitterness at the end.

M- A little on the light side, decent carbonation. Finish is quick and clean with almost no aftertaste.

D- Easy drinking summer beer, no hint of the 5.8% ABV.

Decent summer beer from Bell's. This one would be a good choice for a summer picnic where you just can't bring yourself to serve a macro lager, as no-one will be put off by this.

ToddT, Apr 24, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

G: Poured into, of course, a Bell's Oberon pint glass.

A: Pale golden-orangish-yellow (enough colors?) with a naze haze.

S: The pale wheat is definitely there, and somewhat obscured by a citrus spiciness.

T: Citrus and spice along with the wheat backbone.

M: Quite light and crisp; good carbonation.

D: A very nice summer beer and one that is quite sessionable indeed. My gateway beer to the craft world.

Thorpe429, Apr 23, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -27%

Supremely disappointed after all I've heard about this beer (and considering how well-ranked it is by my respectable peers). Not well-balanced AT ALL. This beer has its attributes, but I'd go for a Blue Moon any day.

Color was orange-tinted and holds its head pretty well, though does not pour particularly thick. Looks like a bubbling sediment-laden riverbed.

Smells awful. Kind of like Busch light, only with less of the gag-reflex.

Taste is better. Sourdough and cheddar cheese, citrus flavors of orange and lemon. But taste dissipates rather quickly and does not leave any real lasting wheat mouthfeel.

Over-carbonated and does not lend any real substance or flavor once moved around the mouth.

Finish is surprisingly smooth and

TLove, Apr 23, 2009

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours pale straw, with a hint of orange, very hazy, with a dense one-finger off-white head on top that sticks around nicely. Really nice lacing.

Nose is tangy wheat/light pale malt, some yeast (clove?).

Taste is yeasty, tangy wheat. Very light hoppy bitterness towards the finish. There's a light, fresh breadiness about the beer that I'm really loving towards the finish. You can tell it's super fresh. Finish is bready, yeasty. Bit of citrus.

Mouthfeel is light to medium carbonation, light bodied.

Top notch for a style I'm usually really not crazy about. It's odd, but it actually reminded me more of an abbey singel crossed with a wheat beer.

JohnQVegas, Apr 22, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours an outstanding, craggy head. True spotting down the glass. Opaque throughout the glass. Smells of fruity esthers, wheat and tangy banana. All the fun ceased for a bit, as it was very hoppy. I was expecting wheat and banana. Tasted like an APA, maybe a bad bottle? Was fresh and crispy, just not a true american "wheat" ale. However, very crisp, light and easy to drink. I would have rated it higher if it had been an APA.

bigdeuce, Apr 21, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. First bottle of my first 6-pack of the year, enjoyed while reading "The Long Walk" on the patio.

A-Glowing golden hazy beer. Crisp, clean white head, 2 full fingers of nicely-sustaining head.

S-Yeasty, wheaty aromas, slight citrus with minimal phenols.

T-Refreshingly malty with that wheaty twang. Bitterness balances the grainy malts appropriately, with an ever-so-slight citrus twist. Finishes grainy and bitter, dry.

M-Medium-high carbonation. Light mouthfeel, fits in perfectly with the refreshing taste.

D-Highly drinkable. Danger: you will want another while lounging outdoors on a beautiful summer afternoon.

CHSLBrew, Apr 21, 2009
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.